Today's premieres and other notes (Monday, Feb. 15)

45 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Robin Miller

ungelesen,
15.02.2016, 02:59:1415.02.16
an

11/22/63 [new] (3:01 am, Hulu)

A nine-hour adaptation of the best-selling 2011 novel written by Stephen
King, 11/22/63 is a thriller in which high school history teacher Jake
Epping (James Franco) travels back in time to prevent the assassination
of President John F. Kennedy - but his mission is threatened by Lee
Harvey Oswald, falling in love and the past itself, which doesn't want
to be changed. Also starring Chris Cooper, Josh Duhamel, T.R. Knight,
Cherry Jones, Sarah Gadon, Lucy Fry, George MacKay and Daniel Webber.
Eight episodes because the first one (tonight's) is two hours long.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2879552/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11.22.63

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXUx__qQGew&feature=youtu.be&t=54

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/112263 [Metacritic score 67]

http://www.hulu.com/112263

Grammy Awards: Red Carpet (special) (4-8 pm, E!)

Gravity Falls (series finale) (7 pm, Disney XD)

Grammy Awards (special) (8-11 pm, CBS)

Hosted by LL Cool J. Preceded by a one-hour Red Carpet Live on CBS, in
addition to E!'s coverage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/58th_Annual_Grammy_Awards

Westminster Kennel Club 140th Annual Dog Show (special) (8-11
pm, CNBC)

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2016/show/info.html

Major Crimes (continuation of season 4) (9 pm, TNT)

Television's favorite squad of detectives is headed by Mary McDonnell as
Los Angeles Police Captain Sharon Raydor, GW Bailey as Lieutenant
Provenza, Tony Denison as Lieutenant Andy Flynn, Michael Paul Chan as
Lieutenant Mike Tao, Raymond Cruz as Detective Julio Sanchez, Kearran
Giovanni as Detective Amy Sykes, Phillip P. Keene as tech expert Buzz
Watson, Robert Gossett as Assistant Chief Russell Taylor and Jonathan
Del Arco as Dr. Morales. Returns for the last five of the 23-episode
order. Renewed for season 5 with 13 episodes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1936532/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Crimes

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/major-crimes/listings/

http://www.tntdrama.com/shows/major-crimes.html

Against the Odds (season 2) (9 and 10 pm, two episodes,
American Heroes Channel)

Showcases awe-inspiring tales of soldiers who unite to overcome even the
most harrowing of obstacles. It's the real-life "Band of Brothers" as
they come together to prove they can't be beat, doing whatever it takes
to emerge victorious despite the cards stacked against them. Regular
time is 10 pm.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/against-the-odds/listings/

Better Call Saul (season 2) (10 pm, AMC)

A prequel/spin-off of Breaking Bad that follows the story of small-time
lawyer James Morgan "Jimmy" McGill (Bob Odenkirk), six years before his
appearance on Breaking Bad as Saul Goodman.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3032476/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Call_Saul

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/better-call-saul/listings/

https://twitter.com/BetterCallSaul

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/better-call-saul/season-2
[Metacritic score 86]

http://www.amc.com/shows/better-call-saul

Talking Saul (11 pm, AMC)

After-show hosted by the ubiquitous Chris Hardwick. Scheduled to follow
just tonight's episode and the season finale.

Bitten (final season 3) (11 pm, Syfy)

Based on the Women of the Otherworld novels by Kelley Armstrong. Season
3 will see the return of Laura Vandervoort as Elena Michaels, Greyston
Holt as Clayton Danvers, Greg Bryk as Jeremy Danvers, Steve Lund as Nick
Sorrentino, and Genelle Williams as Rachel Sutton. 10 episodes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2365946/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitten_%28TV_series%29

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/bitten/listings/

https://www.facebook.com/BittenTVseries

http://www.syfy.com/bitten

--Robin

Ubiquitous

ungelesen,
15.02.2016, 06:28:0915.02.16
an
robin....@invalid.invalid wrote:

>11/22/63 [new] (3:01 am, Hulu)
>A nine-hour adaptation of the best-selling 2011 novel written by
Stephen
>King,

Strike one.

11/22/63 is a thriller in which high school history teacher Jake
>Epping (James Franco) travels back in time to prevent the assassination
>of President John F. Kennedy

Strike two.

>but his mission is threatened by Lee Harvey Oswald, falling in love

Strike three, unless he falls in love with Oswald.

>Gravity Falls (series finale) (7 pm, Disney XD)

Hope I can I watch!

>Better Call Saul (season 2) (10 pm, AMC)

I thought this show ended!

--
BHO has gone around Congress & the Constitution repeatedly, but now
Congress better follow the rules & approve his Supreme Court nominee.

anim8rfsk

ungelesen,
15.02.2016, 08:31:5215.02.16
an
In article <dideqd...@mid.individual.net>,
Robin Miller <robin....@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> 11/22/63 [new] (3:01 am, Hulu)
>
> A nine-hour adaptation of the best-selling 2011 novel written by Stephen
> King, 11/22/63 is a thriller in which high school history teacher Jake
> Epping (James Franco) travels back in time to prevent the assassination
> of President John F. Kennedy - but his mission is threatened by Lee
> Harvey Oswald, falling in love and the past itself, which doesn't want
> to be changed. Also starring Chris Cooper, Josh Duhamel, T.R. Knight,
> Cherry Jones, Sarah Gadon, Lucy Fry, George MacKay and Daniel Webber.
> Eight episodes because the first one (tonight's) is two hours long.
>
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2879552/
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11.22.63
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXUx__qQGew&feature=youtu.be&t=54
>
> http://www.metacritic.com/tv/112263 [Metacritic score 67]
>
> http://www.hulu.com/112263

Well, Ian will watch for Lucy Fry ...
Huh. I wonder if these have been shown in Canadia already with slight
additional naughtiness?

Thanks

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Obveeus

ungelesen,
15.02.2016, 09:12:1915.02.16
an
On 2/15/2016 2:58 AM, Robin Miller wrote:

> Grammy Awards (special) (8-11 pm, CBS)

I might peek in at this just to see what the cute females are wearing.
Isn't that the only reason people watch award shows? Last night the
MusicCares Gala raised a record $7million as everyone from Rihanna to
David Grohl to Lenny Kravitz sung Lionel Richie cover songs to Lionel
Richie. Jimmy Kimmel hosted and his close friend Kevin Spacey presented
the achievement award to Lionel Richie. Ultimately, the Grammy's are
more playful and party-like that the other award shows and so more apt
to be fun, even if the awards are often handed out to the wrong artists
for the wrong reasons.

> Better Call Saul (season 2) (10 pm, AMC)

Yeah! I will be watching this (as well as THE MAGICIANS and LUCIFER)
tonight.

Obveeus

ungelesen,
15.02.2016, 09:13:2115.02.16
an

On 2/15/2016 8:32 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <dideqd...@mid.individual.net>,
> Robin Miller <robin....@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> 11/22/63 [new] (3:01 am, Hulu)
>>
>> A nine-hour adaptation of the best-selling 2011 novel written by Stephen
>> King, 11/22/63 is a thriller in which high school history teacher Jake
>> Epping (James Franco) travels back in time to prevent the assassination
>> of President John F. Kennedy - but his mission is threatened by Lee
>> Harvey Oswald, falling in love and the past itself, which doesn't want
>> to be changed. Also starring Chris Cooper, Josh Duhamel, T.R. Knight,
>> Cherry Jones, Sarah Gadon, Lucy Fry, George MacKay and Daniel Webber.
>> Eight episodes because the first one (tonight's) is two hours long.

Ian doesn't do much streaming...and especially not for programs that are
behind a pay wall. Not even the first episode is free...it is like they
don't want anyone to watch.

anim8rfsk

ungelesen,
15.02.2016, 10:07:3315.02.16
an
In article <n9sm8e$naj$2...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
Oh, God, I didn't even notice it was The Hulu.

thinbl...@gmail.com

ungelesen,
15.02.2016, 10:50:0915.02.16
an
On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 6:28:09 AM UTC-5, Ubiquitous wrote:
> robin....@invalid.invalid wrote:
>
> >11/22/63 [new] (3:01 am, Hulu)
> >A nine-hour adaptation of the best-selling 2011 novel written by
> Stephen
> >King,
>
> Strike one.
>
> 11/22/63 is a thriller in which high school history teacher Jake
> >Epping (James Franco) travels back in time to prevent the assassination
> >of President John F. Kennedy

> Strike two.

> >but his mission is threatened by Lee Harvey Oswald, falling in love

> Strike three, unless he falls in love with Oswald.

Caitlyn Jenner goes into the closet in this romantic time travel adventure. From the closet she emerges into the greatest romance story of the last century during the turbulent year of 1963 to fall in love with LHO. Oswald, head over heels in love with the red-head drops to his knees to propose on the hard wooden floor of the Texas book depository when he realizes Jenner is pantyless... and a fully developed male athlete. Horrified Oswald fires a warning shot to halt Jenner's advances and instead hits the President a block away in the front of the head. Devastated at the rejection, Jenner runs back into the closet while the last words from Oswald were, "I thought she was a Patsy, but she has a penis."

Though Jenner has changed, the past doesn't want to change, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Robin Miller

ungelesen,
15.02.2016, 11:57:3915.02.16
an
> Huh. I wonder if these have been shown in Canada already with slight
> additional naughtiness?

The Space website says "Premieres Friday," so unless it hasn't been
updated from last Friday, the US will see the episodes four days earlier
than Canada.

http://bitten.space.ca/

I don't see any discussion of the new episode on IMDb (other than by a
few people who have seen a leaked copy), so it looks like it is this
Friday for Space.

--Robin

Ian J. Ball

ungelesen,
15.02.2016, 12:02:4415.02.16
an
In article <dideqd...@mid.individual.net>,
Robin Miller <robin....@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> 11/22/63 [new] (3:01 am, Hulu)
>
> A nine-hour adaptation of the best-selling 2011 novel written by Stephen
> King, 11/22/63 is a thriller in which high school history teacher Jake
> Epping (James Franco) travels back in time to prevent the assassination
> of President John F. Kennedy - but his mission is threatened by Lee
> Harvey Oswald, falling in love and the past itself, which doesn't want
> to be changed. Also starring Chris Cooper, Josh Duhamel, T.R. Knight,
> Cherry Jones, Sarah Gadon, Lucy Fry, George MacKay and Daniel Webber.
> Eight episodes because the first one (tonight's) is two hours long.

Sarah Gadon and Lucy Fry?! - That's an odd little cast they've got
there... [boing!]

> Bitten (final season 3) (11 pm, Syfy)
>
> Based on the Women of the Otherworld novels by Kelley Armstrong. Season
> 3 will see the return of Laura Vandervoort as Elena Michaels, Greyston
> Holt as Clayton Danvers, Greg Bryk as Jeremy Danvers, Steve Lund as Nick
> Sorrentino, and Genelle Williams as Rachel Sutton. 10 episodes.

Season passed.

--
"Shall we sit and ponder the futility of caring?" - Morotia M. Black (aka.

anim8rfsk

ungelesen,
15.02.2016, 14:02:4715.02.16
an
In article <dieebv...@mid.individual.net>,
Actually I watched Bitten 3x01, from SPACE, this morning, after seeing
your alert. :D It's apparently been available for a couple days, so
I'm thinking it aired *last* Friday.

They've tossed the books entirely out the window, along with most of the
witches (Paige shows up briefly) and of course they tossed the vampires
last season. It's now 'the further adventures of elena and clay and
their pack'

but I want laura vandervoort's nekkid stunt butt when she changes, dammit

Warehouse the 13th B&B girl is still around

Mostly it's mayhem. With one shocking plot twist at the end. I'm
ambivalent about the whole thing, but I'll give it another shot next
week.

Adam H. Kerman

ungelesen,
15.02.2016, 14:38:0015.02.16
an
Ian J. Ball <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>Robin Miller <robin....@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>11/22/63 [new] (3:01 am, Hulu)

>>A nine-hour adaptation of the best-selling 2011 novel written by Stephen
>>King, 11/22/63 is a thriller in which high school history teacher Jake
>>Epping (James Franco) travels back in time to prevent the assassination
>>of President John F. Kennedy - but his mission is threatened by Lee
>>Harvey Oswald, falling in love and the past itself, which doesn't want
>>to be changed. Also starring Chris Cooper, Josh Duhamel, T.R. Knight,
>>Cherry Jones, Sarah Gadon, Lucy Fry, George MacKay and Daniel Webber.
>>Eight episodes because the first one (tonight's) is two hours long.

>Sarah Gadon and Lucy Fry?! - That's an odd little cast they've got
>there... [boing!]

>>Bitten (final season 3) (11 pm, Syfy)

>>Based on the Women of the Otherworld novels by Kelley Armstrong. Season
>>3 will see the return of Laura Vandervoort as Elena Michaels, Greyston
>>Holt as Clayton Danvers, Greg Bryk as Jeremy Danvers, Steve Lund as Nick
>>Sorrentino, and Genelle Williams as Rachel Sutton. 10 episodes.

>Season passed.

That means you've set up a note to remind you to wind up your alarm clock
to remember to turn on the 3/4 inch video tape recorder.

Robin Miller

ungelesen,
15.02.2016, 14:38:2115.02.16
an
OK, thanks. The whole last season makes me somewhat ambivalent, but I
will watch it until the end.

--Robin

brian henke

ungelesen,
15.02.2016, 14:52:0815.02.16
an
As for Presidents' Day marathons:

AMC Better Call Saul (Season 1)
Bravo Vanderpump Rules
Discovery Fast N Loud
DLC Monsters Inside Me
IFC Ghostbusters/Ghostbusters II - That 70's Show (remember when IFC was an indie film channel?)
E! Keeping Up with the Kardashians
HBO Comedy Veep
TLC Extreme Couponing
TNT Law and Order
TV Land The Andy Griffith Show
USA Law and Order: Special Victims Unit

Cincy...@aol.com - RATV's pro wrestling ambassador

----

"Your TV pal." - David Letterman

Ian J. Ball

ungelesen,
15.02.2016, 15:39:3915.02.16
an
No - ever since I got the new-fangled DVR with the 6 tuners and the 1 TB harddrive, "series passing" TV shows has become a much more viable option.

I'm still only going to 'series pass' shows I truly care about, though, so TV shows like "Scorpion", "Lucifer" and "Cyber!" still don't make the 'series pass' "cut"... ;p

Adam H. Kerman

ungelesen,
15.02.2016, 15:42:2515.02.16
an
Ian J. Ball <ijb...@mac.com> wrote:
>On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 11:38:00 AM UTC-8, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Ian J. Ball <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>>Season passed.

>>That means you've set up a note to remind you to wind up your alarm clock
>>to remember to turn on the 3/4 inch video tape recorder.

>No - ever since I got the new-fangled DVR with the 6 tuners and the 1 TB
>harddrive, "series passing" TV shows has become a much more viable
>option.

Sure. Your old DVR still had a series recording option; you just refused
to use it.

>I'm still only going to 'series pass' shows I truly care about, though,
>so TV shows like "Scorpion", "Lucifer" and "Cyber!" still don't make the
>'series pass' "cut"... ;p

That's what we figured. The alarm clock is still in use!

Dimensional Traveler

ungelesen,
15.02.2016, 15:42:3215.02.16
an
On 2/14/2016 11:58 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

> Better Call Saul (season 2) (10 pm, AMC)
>
> A prequel/spin-off of Breaking Bad that follows the story of small-time
> lawyer James Morgan "Jimmy" McGill (Bob Odenkirk), six years before his
> appearance on Breaking Bad as Saul Goodman.
>
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3032476/
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Call_Saul
>
> http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/better-call-saul/listings/
>
> https://twitter.com/BetterCallSaul
>
> http://www.metacritic.com/tv/better-call-saul/season-2 [Metacritic score
> 86]
>
> http://www.amc.com/shows/better-call-saul

*calls Saul*

*gives him Anim's number*

--
Now the Force-Ghost of DTravel since he was forced by shame to commit
hara-kiri with a dull light-spork after liking the Abrams/Bad Robot Star

Robin Miller

ungelesen,
15.02.2016, 16:18:1615.02.16
an
Cyber!

--Robin

chicagofan

ungelesen,
15.02.2016, 23:27:2915.02.16
an
I want to know what ISP is leasing 6 tuner DVRs ... or have you found
one you could buy?
bj

Ian J. Ball

ungelesen,
15.02.2016, 23:31:3415.02.16
an
Time Warner. But it costs me three bucks (plus) more per month, and they basically extorted me into getting one (the alternative was getting another old box that I knew would die within months or weeks...).

chicagofan

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 00:41:0716.02.16
an
Wow, maybe I should start pulling for that Time-Warner merger with
Charter! Surely they will have to update our equipment as a part of
their deal. ;) My pathetic DVR has 2 tuners and 160 GB hard drive,
which actually is only about 100 GB, since anything over that cuts out
and doesn't record. I wouldn't mind paying more for a decent DVR,
since I can't buy one.

Thanks for the info ... :)
bj
bj

Your Name

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 00:48:1216.02.16
an
In article <n9ucjv$pfo$1...@dont-email.me>, chicagofan <m...@privacy.net>
wrote:
> Ian J. Ball wrote:

> >> I want to know what ISP is leasing 6 tuner DVRs ... or have you found
> >> one you could buy?
> >
> > Time Warner. But it costs me three bucks (plus) more per month, and they
> > basically extorted me into getting one (the alternative was getting another
> > old box that I knew would die within months or weeks...).
>
> Wow, maybe I should start pulling for that Time-Warner merger with
> Charter! Surely they will have to update our equipment as a part of
> their deal. ;) My pathetic DVR has 2 tuners and 160 GB hard drive,
> which actually is only about 100 GB, since anything over that cuts out
> and doesn't record. I wouldn't mind paying more for a decent DVR,
> since I can't buy one.
>
> Thanks for the info ... :)

There might not be any actual "tuners" at all. It may just be a
software limitation for some reason.

We've got a Sky TV box which could originally record two shows while
watching a third (which is also auto-records so you can live pause,
rewind, etc.).

Sky TV recently updated the box's software (to a disgusting piece of
ugly crap) and it can now record three shows while watching a fourth
... no hardware changes to the box at all.

anim8rfsk

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 01:15:4216.02.16
an
In article <n9u89v$ene$2...@dont-email.me>, chicagofan <m...@privacy.net>
wrote:
COX does.

chicagofan

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 01:35:1816.02.16
an
I'm SO jealous of you BOTH!!! ;) I can't imagine what it would be
like to have the amount of storage that must give you!
bj

Robin Miller

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 02:57:2216.02.16
an
Comcast just updated my box to a five-tuner DVR. All of a sudden I don't
have to worry about conflict. Hopefully this box won't simply decide not
to record some nights the way the previous box did.

--Robin

anim8rfsk

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 10:01:0216.02.16
an
In article <n9ufph$na$1...@dont-email.me>, chicagofan <m...@privacy.net>
wrote:
Well, I don't have one. It's a lot extra, and there's a big fee for
'professional installation' and people come INTO YOUR HOUSE and they try
to talk you out of it if you don't have multiple TVs for reasons I don't
understand.

anim8rfsk

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 10:01:3216.02.16
an
In article <dig32t...@mid.individual.net>,
But can you overlap two shows on the same channel?

Robin Miller

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 12:03:3016.02.16
an
I don't understand. How is that different from recording two consecutive
shows on the same channel?

--Robin

anim8rfsk

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 12:22:2616.02.16
an
In article <dih32u...@mid.individual.net>,
Okay. Here's the classic example. Set a season pass for SURVIVOR. CBS
is real sloppy, so you tell it to pad the beginning and/or end.

Come the finale, they run 3 hours of SURVIVOR in one night. The program
guide will break that into 2 or 3 separate shows, not one 3 hour block.
Each of those shows will be trying to pad it's beginning and/or end.
That *shouldn't* be a problem if you actually have multiple tuners. But
the 2 tuner DVRs will scream CONFLICT and not record the later showing,
which is of course where you find out who wins.

And - it won't WARN you. If this happens with 2 DIFFERENT back to back
shows on the same channel, you'll usually get a warning. But not when
it's different episodes of the SAME show. It conflicts out on SURVIVOR
when they run a double header during the season as well.

One solution is to NOT pad, and not see the beginning and/or end of any
episode throughout the season. Unacceptable.

Another solution is to constantly monitor a guide to see what they're
going to do and manually adjust for it, which completely defeats the
purpose of setting a season pass in the first place. Also unacceptable.

The whole thing is ridiculous. If I've got 2 tuners, why can't I record
overlap on the same channel?

Adam H. Kerman

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 12:36:0016.02.16
an
If you use the same tuner, then a portion of the program is lost when
the DVR switches between recordings. It never ends between programs
because the clock is off and the delay feature of the DVR itself in which
the viewer never sees the live broadcast. The cable head end further delays
as it's received the channel from satellite downlink (rarely the broadcast
signal any more) and the retransmission delay from the head end to your home.

Even if the DVR's clock is correct, the cablecast is always behind.

This wouldn't be an issue if one could count on commercial breaks before
the start of the next show, but those are rare these days.

Obveeus

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 12:54:3116.02.16
an

On 2/16/2016 12:23 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <dih32u...@mid.individual.net>,
> Robin Miller <robin....@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> anim8rfsk wrote:

>>> But can you overlap two shows on the same channel?
>>>

>> I don't understand. How is that different from recording two consecutive
>> shows on the same channel?
>>
>> --Robin
>
> Okay. Here's the classic example. Set a season pass for SURVIVOR. CBS
> is real sloppy, so you tell it to pad the beginning and/or end.

Not trying to undermine your point regarding DVRs not being able to aim
2 tuners at the same channel at the same time for whatever unknown
software related reasons, but...

SURVIVOR always seems to end several minutes early. Even the preview
for next week (which is their final segment after the commercial break)
ends several minutes before the hour.

Robin Miller

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 13:20:0116.02.16
an
OK, thanks, Adam!

--Robin

anim8rfsk

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 13:20:0416.02.16
an
In article <n9vnj4$a0g$2...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
Okay, say it starts early, and that's all you pad. It still forces an
overlap when they show multiple eps back to back.

anim8rfsk

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 13:21:3616.02.16
an
In article <n9vmlt$r02$2...@news.albasani.net>,
Yeah, even recording back to back shows on the same channel, with no
overlaps set, I lose about 30 seconds between them.

Robin Miller

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 13:29:0216.02.16
an
OK,I can see that there would be problems if there is padding to
consecutive programs. Then do they overlap.

But if you only have to worry about it when there are 2+ consecutive
hours, how often does that happen? I understand that forces you to
monitor the schedule.

I find that padding (at least with my recently-departed two-tuner DVR)
caused a number of problems.

--Robin

Obveeus

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 14:04:0816.02.16
an
Yep. I was just pointing out that SURVIVOR is a weird show in terms of
very rarely filling the hour timeslot it is in. If I had a DVR, my
solution might simply be to kill the season pass every 6 months, right
before the finale, and then manually record the 3 hour block (with a bit
of padding just in case).

anim8rfsk

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 16:25:2316.02.16
an
In article <dih83a...@mid.individual.net>,
Quite often, the way they keep moving stuff around.

I understand that forces you to
> monitor the schedule.
>
> I find that padding (at least with my recently-departed two-tuner DVR)
> caused a number of problems.

Yep. But non padding is worse.

anim8rfsk

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 16:27:5616.02.16
an
In article <n9vrll$pae$5...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
Yeah, that's if I notice.

At least it TRIES to get all the eps now. They used to call the finale
SURVIVOR REUNION in the guide, and of course a season pass for SURVIVOR
won't acknowledge that. When I first got a DVR they were still naming
the seasons differently, and SURVIVOR ARUBA's season pass won't grab
next years SURVIVOR PATAGONIA.

Dimensional Traveler

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 20:57:0816.02.16
an
I don't lose anywhere near that much. A couple seconds maybe at most.

Adam H. Kerman

ungelesen,
16.02.2016, 22:38:2616.02.16
an
It can often fail to record the last several lines of dialogue.

Ian J. Ball

ungelesen,
17.02.2016, 08:28:4417.02.16
an
In article <na0js1$k1n$2...@dont-email.me>,
With my old DVR, I'd say it was losing at least 10 seconds between shows.

--
"Shall we sit and ponder the futility of caring?" - Morotia M. Black (aka.

anim8rfsk

ungelesen,
17.02.2016, 08:52:4117.02.16
an
In article <na0pvf$g9e$1...@news.albasani.net>,
I quite often, if recording 2 shows back to back, will get the very
beginning of one ad on the end of the first show, and the end of the ad
on the start of the second show, so I figure I lose just about a
commercials worth. I've definitely seen less though.

Adam H. Kerman

ungelesen,
17.02.2016, 12:38:0317.02.16
an
Right. Those are the circumstances in which lines of dialogue are lost.
Where the DVR thinks the break between shows would be is never at a
commercial. I don't believe for a moment that there's no technical
solution to this without engaging another tuner (which may not be
available). Just requires another memory buffer and the ability to feed
two buffers from the same tuner to account for padding out the beginning
and end.

That, and the stupid clock should re-calibrate itself for the known
delay that the DVR itself creates due to buffering.

anim8rfsk

ungelesen,
17.02.2016, 14:59:3017.02.16
an
In article <na2b5n$uce$1...@news.albasani.net>,
I'd accept 'no overlap if second tuner not available' but when it is???

Your Name

ungelesen,
17.02.2016, 15:41:2717.02.16
an
In article <anim8rfsk-13D26...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> I quite often, if recording 2 shows back to back, will get the very
> beginning of one ad on the end of the first show, and the end of the ad
> on the start of the second show, so I figure I lose just about a
> commercials worth. I've definitely seen less though.

Because of the padding (which is user changeable) the Sky TV box
records the start of the second show on the end of the first show, and
the end of the first show repeated at the start of the second show.

A Friend

ungelesen,
17.02.2016, 16:03:0917.02.16
an
In article <anim8rfsk-0AEE9...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> I'd accept 'no overlap if second tuner not available' but when it is???

I have a DirecTV Genie. SUPERGIRL and SCORPION are on CBS, the latter
right after the former. What happens with the Genie is that it records
:15 or so before SUPERGIRL starts ands cuts off just past the start of
SCORPION. My SCORPION recording starts during SUPERGIRL's end credits
and continues until the beginning of the next hour. I don't miss
anything.

anim8rfsk

ungelesen,
17.02.2016, 18:36:5717.02.16
an
In article <170220161603058275%no...@noway.com>,
Sounds like that's the way it *should* work!

Dimensional Traveler

ungelesen,
17.02.2016, 22:14:0617.02.16
an
On 2/17/2016 3:37 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <170220161603058275%no...@noway.com>,
> A Friend <no...@noway.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <anim8rfsk-0AEE9...@news.easynews.com>,
>> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd accept 'no overlap if second tuner not available' but when it is???
>>

>> I have a DirecTV Genie. SUPERGIRL and SCORPION are on CBS, the latter
>> right after the former. What happens with the Genie is that it records
>> :15 or so before SUPERGIRL starts ands cuts off just past the start of
>> SCORPION. My SCORPION recording starts during SUPERGIRL's end credits
>> and continues until the beginning of the next hour. I don't miss
>> anything.
>
> Sounds like that's the way it *should* work!

Ya, he's really not getting the "Bitch & Moan" part.

Adam H. Kerman

ungelesen,
18.02.2016, 17:35:1618.02.16
an
That's ideal.

chicagofan

ungelesen,
21.02.2016, 23:41:4821.02.16
an
Congrats! I can't imagine what that would be like!!! So it's you and
Ian that I'm jealous of. ;)
bj

chicagofan

ungelesen,
21.02.2016, 23:47:2021.02.16
an
Ah, I misunderstood ... being available doesn't mean you had one. :/

I really don't understand that advice against installing it, unless it
was just too much work for them, if they weren't going to make enough
money from you. Not sure their bosses would like that, unless maybe
they didn't have a big inventory of those boxes or something. Crazy ...
you're about to convince me Charter isn't the second worst ISP [behind
Comcast]. ;)
bj

Robin Miller

ungelesen,
21.02.2016, 23:50:1321.02.16
an
It may sound silly, but it is nice not to always have to wonder if I
already have two shows set to record. I mean, it didn't happen very
often, but it could be really frustrating when it did. It's not that I
even have time for that much TV, but there always seems to be at least
one hour when shows pile up. This season it's been Wednesday at 9, when
I have Supernatural, Criminal Minds and L&O: SVU. So I'd record the
first two and say that I'd try to remember to watch SVU on demand, but
then I never did ...

--Robin

anim8rfsk

ungelesen,
22.02.2016, 00:07:4122.02.16
an
In article <nae3n3$lb1$1...@dont-email.me>, chicagofan <m...@privacy.net>
I don't get it either. I was actually in the store, trading in my last
failed DVR for the one I have now, and asked for the multi tuner one,
and they said it was only for multi TV households. I have ... no idea
how that works, unless there's some secret 'per set' charge they weren't
going to be able to invoke.

chicagofan

ungelesen,
22.02.2016, 00:24:3522.02.16
an
I'm pretty sure that's it. They get more for each box and if there are
more eyes [or kids], they probably figure there will be more Pay TV
orders from On Demand, etc..
bj

chicagofan

ungelesen,
22.02.2016, 00:27:2622.02.16
an
It's the same for me. I don't have that many shows that are important
to me, but they do seem to cluster on some nights. I usually forget
those shows I have to leave for On Demand. Can't wait until Charter
updates their boxes around here.
bj

Your Name

ungelesen,
22.02.2016, 00:32:3122.02.16
an
In article <divic2...@mid.individual.net>, Robin Miller
<robin....@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> chicagofan wrote:
> > Robin Miller wrote:

> >> Comcast just updated my box to a five-tuner DVR. All of a sudden I
> >> don't have to worry about conflict. Hopefully this box won't simply
> >> decide not to record some nights the way the previous box did.
> >
> > Congrats! I can't imagine what that would be like!!! So it's you and
> > Ian that I'm jealous of. ;)
>
> It may sound silly, but it is nice not to always have to wonder if I
> already have two shows set to record. I mean, it didn't happen very
> often, but it could be really frustrating when it did. It's not that I
> even have time for that much TV, but there always seems to be at least
> one hour when shows pile up. This season it's been Wednesday at 9, when
> I have Supernatural, Criminal Minds and L&O: SVU. So I'd record the
> first two and say that I'd try to remember to watch SVU on demand, but
> then I never did ...

Sky TV repeats episodes of most shows a few times over the week. The
shows I record just for myself to watch are usually recordings of the
repeated episode during the morning or afternoon on the day after the
first broadcast rather than clog up evening recording slots ... for
example, each episode of The Librarians might first be shown at 8:30pm
on Wednesday, but I record the repeat at 10:30am on Thursday instead.

Robin Miller

ungelesen,
22.02.2016, 02:01:0822.02.16
an
Here in the US, shows on so-called "cable" channels usually (but not
always) repeat, but shows on broadcast networks don't. So if the
bunch-up involves shows on cable networks, I can usually find a repeat
to record, but no such luck if they are network shows.

--Robin

suzeeq

ungelesen,
22.02.2016, 09:38:1422.02.16
an
They do that on cable channels, but not regular shown on regular
broadcast channels.

Your Name

ungelesen,
22.02.2016, 15:21:3922.02.16
an
In article <divq1g...@mid.individual.net>, Robin Miller
Yep, that's the same here.

Sky TV channels usually have repeats of a show's episode that same
week, although sometimes still not in a sensible timeslot - Star Wars
Rebels being a current example. :-(

The normal Freeview channels rarely do. They occasionally have an
"Encore Screening" of the first or special episode and there are
repeats / omnibus version of some of the soap operas. Otherwise you
have to wait for the season to be re-run at a later stage, which may or
may not happen - The Simpsons and Friends is in near continuous
re-runs.
0 neue Nachrichten