What Did You Watch? 2017-06-14 (Wednesday)

Ubiquitous

Jun 15, 2017, 7:11:11 AM6/15/17
On the day a deranged angry leftist tried to kill some Republican
Congressmen, I watched:

Liberal media coverage of the shooting. Tediously predictible.

ARROW:
"A Matter of Trust". Green Arrow is forced to battle new drug dealer
Garret Runnels, who is terrorizing Star City, after Wild Dog strikes
out on his own to take the dealer down. Jebus, all the macho
posturing was almost as bad as on Ink Masters! Shut up, Felicity
Snoak!

TRUE MONSTERS:
"Devils and Hell". Real monsters are behind our greatest legends.
The gates of Hell are unlocked to reveal the surprising truths and
devilish secrets of Satan, demons, and other powerful rulers of the
Underworld. In the 17th century, a beastly devil is born deep in the
woods of New Jersey and is said to still wreak havoc in a place
called the Pine Barrens. Plus, from evil Jinn, whose power a nuclear
physicist tried to tap, to a Christmas devil that takes naughty kids
to Hell, to a two-faced female demon named Hel who presided over the
dead in the icy North, there's a lot to learn about our devils and
the history that inspired them. This show is listed as originally
airing a couple years ago, but I have no recollection of it.

What did you watch?

Obveeus

Jun 15, 2017, 8:04:07 AM6/15/17
I watched:

BLOOD DRIVE: I watched the first few minutes of this new Syfy series
that tries to parody MAD MAX (and similar) films where gasoline is rare
so everyone drives around all day in cars that get 4mpg. This new show
takes the laughability up a notch, though, by having the cars run on
blood...so everyone drives around all day looking for people to kill, I
guess. Additionally, the process of 'filling the tank' is mostly about
spraying blood absolutely everywhere except into the gas tank. This is
easily the dumbest scripted show to be put on air this year.

COLLATERAL BEAUTY: A 2016 film starring Will Smith as a guy who is
suffering mentally and the domino effect it has on his coworkers. The
film sports an all-star cast that includes Edward Norton, Helen Mirren,
Keira Knightly, Kate Winslet, and Michael Pena. This was an
entertaining enough story even though it was quite predictable.

What did you watch?

Arthur Lipscomb

Jun 15, 2017, 10:13:13 AM6/15/17
On 6/15/2017 5:04 AM, Obveeus wrote:
> I watched:
>
> BLOOD DRIVE: I watched the first few minutes of this new Syfy series
> that tries to parody MAD MAX (and similar) films where gasoline is rare
> so everyone drives around all day in cars that get 4mpg. This new show
> takes the laughability up a notch, though, by having the cars run on
> blood...so everyone drives around all day looking for people to kill, I
> guess. Additionally, the process of 'filling the tank' is mostly about
> spraying blood absolutely everywhere except into the gas tank. This is
> easily the dumbest scripted show to be put on air this year.

The name is vaguely familiar but I don't think I've seen any advertising
for this.

> COLLATERAL BEAUTY: A 2016 film starring Will Smith as a guy who is
> suffering mentally and the domino effect it has on his coworkers. The
> film sports an all-star cast that includes Edward Norton, Helen Mirren,
> Keira Knightly, Kate Winslet, and Michael Pena. This was an
> entertaining enough story even though it was quite predictable.
>
> What did you watch?

Hands of Stone (Netflix) - Biopic about Panamanian boxer Roberto Duran
(Édgar Ramírez). The movie has an all star cast inlcuding Robert De
Niro, Ellen Barkin (who I didn't recognize), John Turturro, and Usher
(who I spent the movie thinking that actor sure looks a *lot* like Usher
whoever he is). This sort of felt like a real world version of Rocky
III, told from the villain' perspective. Duran came off as such a huge
jerk that I was hoping he would lose. His big fight was against Sugar
Ray Leonard and the antics in the ring were so over the top that I had
to look up the fight on Youtube and was surprised to see the
over-the-top moments really happened.

Ian J. Ball

Jun 15, 2017, 10:43:59 AM6/15/17
On 2017-06-15 12:04:05 +0000, Obveeus said:

> I watched:
>
> BLOOD DRIVE: I watched the first few minutes of this new Syfy series
> that tries to parody MAD MAX (and similar) films where gasoline is rare
> so everyone drives around all day in cars that get 4mpg. This new show
> takes the laughability up a notch, though, by having the cars run on
> blood...so everyone drives around all day looking for people to kill, I
> guess. Additionally, the process of 'filling the tank' is mostly about
> spraying blood absolutely everywhere except into the gas tank. This is
> easily the dumbest scripted show to be put on air this year.

Way to completely miss the point...

--
"His compassion killed him." - Dr. Sabine Lommers, in

Ian J. Ball

Jun 15, 2017, 11:14:13 AM6/15/17
On 2017-06-15 12:04:05 +0000, Obveeus said:

> What did you watch?

soaps: DOOL - Claire's "sex tape" has gotten out, and everyone
immediately blames Claire, even though guttersnip Jade was the one
behind it! Heh.
GH - What the heck is going on with Sam?! It seems like she's
cracking up, but I'm sure it's being "caused" somehow... And, gawd, I
hate Sonny & FauxCarly... >:/

Pretty Little Liars (bitches!) - "Choose or Lose". Hey, Fed. Agent
Tanner is back!! Which is a *good* thing, as I'm pretty sure it means
we'll be spared having to see Det. Furey (Nicholas Gonzales) in the
rest of this! And we maybe finally have someone who can nail these
bithces!!
Anyway, this finally seems to be going somewhere... In this one,
Mona rats out Aria to the others (the show is also flirting with the
idea that we're supposed to think Mona is "A.D.", but "once bitten,
twice shy", and I'm quite sure it'll turn out to be a red herring...).
So the others all hate Aria now almost as much as the audience does!!
Meanwhile, Tanner is tightening the noose, and it looks like
somebody is finally going to throw each and everyone of these bitches
(and hopefully their dopey boyfriends too!!) into the slammer once and
for all!
Amusingly, near the end, it looks like "A.D." has sabotaged
mega-bitch Aria, as he's/she's put Dunhill's corpse in Aria's car
trunk, just as the coppers pull up!
There's also stuff that happens with all of the "couples" here...
but who cares?!!
Sidenote: Second episode in a row with Laura Leighton as Hanna's
mom, after previously not appearing in this season at *all*.
This episode was the third-to-last, so just two episodes to go: next
week is the penultimate episode, and then it looks like the series
finale is 2-hours long...

The Night Manager (recorded) - Looks like I watched "Episode 3" this
time. (Still not sure which episode I watched "out of order" last time,
but it must have been "Episode 5", or maybe "Episode 4"...). Anyway,
this was a good followup to episode #2.

Blood Drive (Siffy) - "The F...ing Cop", series premiere. I suspect
this show will have a pretty narrow audience - you have to be a fan of
both gory "horror" and tongue-in-cheek low-budget 'B' movie fare. But
for someone like me this is perfect summer television fare - while I
wouldn't likely go out of my way to watch this during the "regular" TV
season, during the lazy days of summer when there's nothing else on
this looks to be a pretty perfect "summer guilty pleasure".
The premiere was mostly set-up: how the "cop", Arthur, ends up in
the race, and partnered with the shady femme fetale Grace (if those
tattoos of Christina Ochoa's are real, they're hideous, and in about
the worst place possible for tattoos... :/ ); what's going on with the
"race" and the "race emcee" ("Falling Skies'" Colin Cunningham); and
simultaneously what happens to Arthur's cop partner (which is tied up
with "Sinbad's" Marama Corlett, managing a good American accent here).
Now that they've got the set-up out of the way, I'm curious to see
what they can do going forward, so I'm looking forward to episode #2...

Recorded for later: A whole lot of *nothin'* - Wednesdays and Thursdays
are *awful* this summer! (or, at least, they are right now!).

anim8rfsk

Jun 15, 2017, 1:13:11 PM6/15/17
In article <ohtssr$k8g$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> What did you watch?

My BLUE BLOODS marathon spun out of orbit and spiraled clear past the
galactic plane with a couple of amazingly bizarre, stupid, and offensive
episodes, possibly fueled by CBS interference.

In LEAP OF FAITH, Danny Concannon is accused by his mentally ill
stepdaughter of murdering his wife/her mother. She gets her information
because God speaks to her - she literally hears voices. She's also next
in line to inherit if he's convicted. She comes up with evidence that
can only have been obtained one of two ways - if God is actually
speaking to her, or if she's the real killer. And she's the *only* one
who was present when the murder weapon was switched. We *know* Danny
didn't do it, we *saw* Danny not doing it, so of course he turns out to
be guilty, and "she's actually hearing from God who's dropping clews to
catch a killer" is the solution the cops go with. Then they all sit
around the dinner table explaining to each other how they all hear the
voice of God because they're Catholic, and the youngest snot brother
says he doesn't go to church 'cause he's too busy (he now has a side job
painting houses as well as being a full time beat cop and undercover
cop) but that that's even *better* 'cause he gets to talk to God one on
one whereas going to church is just having God address the crowd.
Meanwhile, Frank doesn't want his old priest given sainthood (the only
honest moment in the hour is when the current priest tell him there's a
bundle to be made by having their own saint) because the guy was a
horrible person and felon, then investigates and lets (I think) a
murderer walk to *prove* the old priest was a horrible person and felon,
and then ... endorses the guy as a saint, because horrible people and
felons are exactly who *should* be made saints. He *says* that.
Who the Hell let loose the radioactives around these people???

In the next ep, PARENTHOOD, a family of illegal aliens is beaten and
robbed by some racists on the theory that they won't go to the cops.
They don't - they shoot the guy fleeing with everything they own.
Bizarrely the Reagan family all take the opposite position than you'd
expect - I suppose the writer thought this was clever - and NONE of them
get it right, the snot brother and sister insisting that since the
robbers were out of the house, stopping them was nothing but revenge,
and completely forgetting the part where the guy had everything the
family owned, which says to me the robbery is still in progress and
they're stopping the damn thing. The only thing they agree on, and
state repeatedly, is "illegal aliens haven't broken any laws" - sigh.

Daughter and granddaughter are at each other's throats the whole time
now, making neither of them interesting.

I'm going to be hard pressed to watch any more of these. In fact, I'm
reconsidering getting that reverse mortgage from AAG. :)

BTW, I'd been looking for evidence as to whether or not Baker was a cop
or civilian, wondering if she should be in uniform - it turns out she
*is* a cop, but she's a detective, hence the plainclothes ... but what
the Hell kind of career path is this? A police detective assigned to be
the P.C.s secretary, but she's itching to get out in the field???
Seriously, is this assignment a punishment detail?

I also watched the pilot to 1993's MOON OVER MIAMI. It obviously owes a
lot (a really really whole lot) to MOONLIGHTING, but it's well written
and cast and performed, and just puts a smile on my face.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 15, 2017, 1:33:34 PM6/15/17
"We find your lack of faith disturbing."

:D Seriously, Blue Bloods makes SOOOOOO much less sense than all the
programs we tell you you should be watching but refuse to.

instinct are running screaming.

anim8rfsk

Jun 15, 2017, 2:08:35 PM6/15/17
In article <ohug6h$to4$1...@dont-email.me>,
Like Wynonna Earp?

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 15, 2017, 3:05:14 PM6/15/17
Yes.

anim8rfsk

Jun 15, 2017, 3:06:32 PM6/15/17
In article <ohulid$i9t$1...@dont-email.me>,
I watched like 3 of those. How much more must I suffer?

anim8rfsk

Jun 15, 2017, 3:07:31 PM6/15/17
In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
wrote:

> On the day a deranged angry leftist tried to kill some Republican
> Congressmen, I watched:
>
> Liberal media coverage of the shooting. Tediously predictible.
>
> ARROW:
> "A Matter of Trust". Green Arrow is forced to battle new drug dealer
> Garret Runnels, who is terrorizing Star City, after Wild Dog strikes
> out on his own to take the dealer down. Jebus, all the macho
> posturing was almost as bad as on Ink Masters! Shut up, Felicity
> Snoak!

You forgot to snicker. It's like the exclamation points after SQUIGGLE.

suzeeq

Jun 15, 2017, 3:53:12 PM6/15/17
>>> "We find your lack of faith 'd disturbing."
>>>
>>> :D Seriously, Blue Bloods makes SOOOOOO much less sense than all the
>>> programs we tell you you should be watching but refuse to.
>> Like Wynonna Earp?
>>
> Yes.

I thought I'd take a look at it. I like it!

suzeeq

Jun 15, 2017, 3:53:58 PM6/15/17
At least a couple more. ;)

anim8rfsk

Jun 15, 2017, 4:34:42 PM6/15/17
In article <ohuoj4$ujv$1...@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com>
wrote:
:(

anim8rfsk

Jun 15, 2017, 4:35:05 PM6/15/17
In article <ohuokk$ujv$2...@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com>
wrote:
"mean as adan"

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 15, 2017, 6:12:08 PM6/15/17
As much as the rest of us.

Obveeus

Jun 15, 2017, 11:27:56 PM6/15/17

On 6/15/2017 10:43 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2017-06-15 12:04:05 +0000, Obveeus said:
>
>> I watched:
>>
>> BLOOD DRIVE: I watched the first few minutes of this new Syfy series
>> that tries to parody MAD MAX (and similar) films where gasoline is
>> rare so everyone drives around all day in cars that get 4mpg. This
>> new show takes the laughability up a notch, though, by having the cars
>> run on blood...so everyone drives around all day looking for people to
>> kill, I guess. Additionally, the process of 'filling the tank' is
>> mostly about spraying blood absolutely everywhere except into the gas
>> tank. This is easily the dumbest scripted show to be put on air this
>> year.
>
> Way to completely miss the point...

No, I get the point...some really bad TV shows get made because people
like Ian watch TV.

shawn

Jun 16, 2017, 6:52:54 AM6/16/17
On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 07:13:08 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 6/15/2017 5:04 AM, Obveeus wrote:
>> I watched:
>>
>> BLOOD DRIVE: I watched the first few minutes of this new Syfy series
>> that tries to parody MAD MAX (and similar) films where gasoline is rare
>> so everyone drives around all day in cars that get 4mpg. This new show
>> takes the laughability up a notch, though, by having the cars run on
>> blood...so everyone drives around all day looking for people to kill, I
>> guess. Additionally, the process of 'filling the tank' is mostly about
>> spraying blood absolutely everywhere except into the gas tank. This is
>> easily the dumbest scripted show to be put on air this year.
>>
>The name is vaguely familiar but I don't think I've seen any advertising
>for this.

I think the only advertising is on SyFy. I saw some while watching the
Dark Matter season premiere. Thought the show looked interesting and
since there's nothing else on that night that I want to watch now it
seemed worth checking out. Sadly the writing and acting let me down so
I managed to make to the Mayhem festival before bailing on the show.
Think that's about ten minutes in to it.

shawn

Jun 16, 2017, 6:55:32 AM6/16/17
On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 08:14:09 -0700, Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 2017-06-15 12:04:05 +0000, Obveeus said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>

>Blood Drive (Siffy) - "The F...ing Cop", series premiere. I suspect
>this show will have a pretty narrow audience - you have to be a fan of
>both gory "horror" and tongue-in-cheek low-budget 'B' movie fare. But
>for someone like me this is perfect summer television fare - while I
>wouldn't likely go out of my way to watch this during the "regular" TV
>season, during the lazy days of summer when there's nothing else on
>this looks to be a pretty perfect "summer guilty pleasure".

If the actors were a bit better I might have stuck with the show but
they aren't so I bailed on it. I wasn't expecting the show to be
different from what it was but I was hoping for the main character
they opened with to be more engaging (sure she looks nice but that's
about it.)

Ubiquitous

Jun 16, 2017, 7:54:51 AM6/16/17
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>> On the day a deranged angry leftist tried to kill some Republican
>> Congressmen, I watched:
>>
>> Liberal media coverage of the shooting. Tediously predictible.
>>
>> ARROW:
>> "A Matter of Trust". Green Arrow is forced to battle new drug dealer
>> Garret Runnels, who is terrorizing Star City, after Wild Dog strikes
>> out on his own to take the dealer down. Jebus, all the macho
>> posturing was almost as bad as on Ink Masters! Shut up, Felicity
>> Snoak!
>
>You forgot to snicker. It's like the exclamation points after SQUIGGLE.

I'll try to rememeber if I ever watch this show again, but I'm not planning on
that.

David Johnston

Jun 16, 2017, 5:02:48 PM6/16/17
On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 8:43:59 AM UTC-6, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2017-06-15 12:04:05 +0000, Obveeus said:
>
> > I watched:
> >
> > BLOOD DRIVE: I watched the first few minutes of this new Syfy series
> > that tries to parody MAD MAX (and similar) films where gasoline is rare
> > so everyone drives around all day in cars that get 4mpg. This new show
> > takes the laughability up a notch, though, by having the cars run on
> > blood...so everyone drives around all day looking for people to kill, I
> > guess. Additionally, the process of 'filling the tank' is mostly about
> > spraying blood absolutely everywhere except into the gas tank. This is
> > easily the dumbest scripted show to be put on air this year.
>
> Way to completely miss the point...

What was the point?

anim8rfsk

Jun 18, 2017, 1:44:20 AM6/18/17
In article <ohu817$rer$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> Blood Drive (Siffy) - "The F...ing Cop", series premiere. I suspect
> this show will have a pretty narrow audience - you have to be a fan of
> both gory "horror" and tongue-in-cheek low-budget 'B' movie fare. But
> for someone like me this is perfect summer television fare - while I
> wouldn't likely go out of my way to watch this during the "regular" TV
> season, during the lazy days of summer when there's nothing else on
> this looks to be a pretty perfect "summer guilty pleasure".
> The premiere was mostly set-up: how the "cop", Arthur, ends up in
> the race, and partnered with the shady femme fetale Grace (if those
> tattoos of Christina Ochoa's are real, they're hideous, and in about
> the worst place possible for tattoos... :/ ); what's going on with the
> "race" and the "race emcee" ("Falling Skies'" Colin Cunningham); and
> simultaneously what happens to Arthur's cop partner (which is tied up
> with "Sinbad's" Marama Corlett, managing a good American accent here).
> Now that they've got the set-up out of the way, I'm curious to see
> what they can do going forward, so I'm looking forward to episode #2...

One and done for me.

I found myself wondering stuff like how the mob gets ahead of the race,
given that it's a straight line course.

Obviously the cars don't run on blood.

Grace is the actress from that lousy short film with the guy from AWFUL
ARROW, and she has big ugly tats, but has also sported make up tats.

I'd like to watch them feed the Sergeant to a car.

They advertise NUDITY at every commercial break, and it's the other
(male) cop's butt. Then they put a huge black box over the payoff
nudity at the end, when it involves a female of the species ...

The Sinbad chyck is doing Wynonna from Alien Resurrection ...

Obveeus

Jun 18, 2017, 9:47:38 AM6/18/17

On 6/18/2017 1:44 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <ohu817$rer$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Blood Drive (Siffy) - "The F...ing Cop", series premiere. I suspect
>> this show will have a pretty narrow audience - you have to be a fan of
>> both gory "horror" and tongue-in-cheek low-budget 'B' movie fare.

> Grace is the actress from that lousy short film with the guy from AWFUL
> ARROW, and she has big ugly tats, but has also sported make up tats.

That was the only reason that I sampled the show.