What Did You Watch? 2018-05-27 (Sunday)

Ubiquitous

May 28, 2018, 5:04:18 AM5/28/18
I watched:

ABANDONED:
"Route 66". Frank Gerwer joins Rick for a tour of Route 66. That was
interesting. I had no idea that there was such a thing as the Green
Motorist Book!

ABANDONED:
"Carolina Speedways". Rick visits the original NASCAR tracks that
launched the sport into a large-scale business but have since been
forgotten. Not as interesting. I'm not sure if I already knew NASCAR
began as moonshiners trying to outrace cops. I suspect Prime Time Chuck
was a tranny.

THE FACTS OF LIFE:
"Runaway". After being told her parents didn't give consent to see a
Broadway play with the older girls, Tootie decides to go on her own and
meet them there, but instead gets lost and almost becomes a teenage
prostitute.

THE FACTS OF LIFE:
"New York, New York". Blair and Jo reunite with their respective
childhood friends in NYC (hey, it's the diner from the previous ep!)
and learn the adage you cannot go home again.

DIFFERENT STROKES:
"The Boyfriend". Kimberly schemes to move in with her boyfriend by
convincing the family that she'll be sharing an apartment with his
sister. After Willis busts her, she confesses to Mr D. I don't think
that was the intention, but that seems to be the only reason she
confessed.

DIFFERENT STROKES:
"A Haunting We Will Go". After hearing that a nearby house is
supposedly haunted by the ghost of its dead owner, Arnold and Sam
decide to visit the house and do some investigating on their own. Wow,
the description of this ep doesn't even come close to describing how
extra super retarded it was! After their inept electrician (hey, it's
Gomez Adams!) tells them about the haunted house down the street,
Arnold, Sam, and some other kids enter thru the unlocked front door and
all sorts of cheesy ghost things happen: Knick-knacks explode, doors
open and slam shut, furniture shakes, a monstrous hand taps Arnold on
the shoulder from behind a curtain, etc. The mystery is solved when
they find their friends hiding behind a curtain, but then the
activities resume and after the lights go out, Sam is gone! Arnold runs
home and discovers Sam ran home when it got dark and something tried to
grab him. Later, "Mr Adams", who is still trying to fix a lamp, tells
them they disturbed the spirit of a man who died there 30 years ago and
suggested they leave a peace offering in the form of a turkey
drumstick, his fav snack. Hmm... Sam and Arnold return with a drumstick
and wearing generic ghostbusters outfits provide by "Mr Adams" and more
shit happens. Mr Drummund and Dixie Carter show up and everthing stops
(of course). In order to convince Sam and Arnold the place isn't
haunted, the adults go upstairs and stumble into a secret passage and
discover something is with them, casting an omnious shadow. Meanwhile,
Sam discovers the turkey leg has dissapeared, followed by a turkey leg
bone falling to the ground! They hear the ghost approaching but it
turns out to be the adults with "Mr Adams", who admits he was behind it
and did it to scare them away, but before he can give a Scoobie Doo
style admission, a _terrible_ chromokey lit candellabra floats by and
everyone bolts, but door to room closes before Arnold and Sam can get
out, trapping them inside! We suffer through an eternity of more lame
CGI FX, including a green ghost that slimes them after they shoot it
with their toy Ghostbuster guns. Ray Bolger (why do I recognise that
name?) walks out in a Count Floyd outfit and stubs his toe, so they
know he's not a ghost. Busted, he tells the boys he's the man who died
here 30 years ago! It turns out he had faked his death (including his
coffin, which was full of rocks) and has lived in the house all this
time, making people think it was haunted so he wouldn't be disturbed.
The Drummonds invite him over to visit and for supper and they all
dance a little jig. I cannot recall if there was a "or is it?" moment
after they leave, but at that point I was yelling at my TV.

STAR TREK: THE ANIMATED SERIES:
"The Lorelei Signal". The men of the Enterprise are victimized by a
race of beautiful women who stay immortal by draining the lifeforce of
men. This ep is interesting in that Uhura leads a kick-ass all-women
landing party to rescue the men! I'm pretty sure I didn't zone out or
get distracted, but the scene where the men hide in the giant vase that
they almost drown in them was missing, making their rescue seem random.

STAR TREK: THE ANIMATED SERIES:
"More Trobbles, More Troubles". Cyrano Jones returns, along with new
tribbles that can't multiply. In the process, the crew discover the
Klingons have a new weapon system that can disable a star ship but is
limited by the fact that it drains their ship too. I got confused b/c
the cheap or stupid animators kept using the new weapon effects every
time the Klingons fired at the Enterprise. The photo torpedos were
rendered as red smudges, now that I think about it.

STAR TREK:
"A Taste of Armageddon". Kirk finds his entire crew sentenced to death
when the Enterprise is caught in the crossfire of a 500-year-old
conflict in which computers decide who will live and who must die.
Still relevant.

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION:
"The Samaritan Snare". Retarded aliens some how trick the Enterprise
into sending Geordi instead of an expendable red shirt into fixing
their ship and then take him hostage. Meanwhile, Picard, whose vanity
will not permit him to allow the crew to know about his heart surgery,
has to take a slow shuttle to the surgeons with Wesley. Naturally,
there are complications and Pulaski is called to save the day.

STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE:
"House of Quark". Things spin out of control after Quark accidentally
kills a rowdy drunk Klingon in his dabo bar. Kind of a lame way to
follow up the revelation of the Dominion last ep.

FAMILY GUY:
"A House Full of Peters". Peter has daddy issues of his own when his
sperm-donor past catches up to him, as many of his biological children
show up at the house unannounced.

FAMILY GUY:
"The Boys in the Band". Stewie and Brian put together a children's band
that rockets to the top, until a girl comes between them and splits the
group. Meanwhile, Peter and Lois order Chris to get a job, so he lands
one as personal assistant to Quagmire organizing his hookups.

What did you watch?

A Friend

May 28, 2018, 7:25:06 AM5/28/18
In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
wrote:

> Ray Bolger (why do I recognise that name?)

He was the Scarecrow in THE WIZARD OF OZ.

Adam H. Kerman

May 28, 2018, 9:10:06 AM5/28/18
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION:
>"The Samaritan Snare". Retarded aliens some how trick the Enterprise
>into sending Geordi instead of an expendable red shirt into fixing
>their ship and then take him hostage. Meanwhile, Picard, whose vanity
>will not permit him to allow the crew to know about his heart surgery,
>has to take a slow shuttle to the surgeons with Wesley. Naturally,
>there are complications and Pulaski is called to save the day.

I remember how much I despised this episode when I saw it in first run,
both the Geordi scenes and the massive expository Picard scenes to give
us this, uh, key insight into his character. I did, however, like the
later episode in which Q gave him a different back story.

anim8rfsk

May 28, 2018, 10:54:40 AM5/28/18
wrote:

> What did you watch?

WESTWORLD. Another unsatisfying episode. So the Geisha hosts have
human hearts that can be cut out 'just in case'?

PRIVATE EYES S02E10 Kissing the Canvas
It's back, and it's fun, with George from Good Witch as the guy who
stole all of Shade's money!

Parts of two terrible episodes of THE LOVE BOAT. Early ones, showing
that the show was mean spirited from the very beginning. Stupid, too.
So the cruise directors say they're 'assigning cabins' when they great
passengers as they board, but obviously the assignments have been made;
all they do is tell the passengers their cabin number and point them in
the general direction. So ... how do the passengers get *in* to their
cabins - nobody gives them a key!!! And we had another one of these
costume parties that Julie comes up with the day before they dock ... so
the boat has an unlimited costume warehouse down in the lower decks?
Toss in one of the most annoying child actors ever, James Bond III, and
Sandy Duncan (why was she ever hot shit?) and you've got a crap sandwich
ready for the eating!

What did you watch?

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Ian J. Ball

May 28, 2018, 11:33:36 AM5/28/18
On 2018-05-28 14:54:32 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
> wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> What did you watch?

Ubi, asked first!... ;p

I mostly took it easy yesterday:

Maggie & Bianca Fashion Friends (The Netflix) - Episodes #2.9-2.12.
There was another couple of "music videos" in here, the first of which
was for probably the first better-than-semi-decent season #2 song, and
the second of which was a retread of a video they did in season #1, but
I couldn't tell if it was the exact same video from season #1, or the
same "shot" of the video but with a different editing "cut", or a
"recreation" of the season #1 video in season #2 (FTR, I think it was
Option #2...).
Anyway, these ones were still heavy with more relationship drama...
And did they really did stick Maggie with the "two dates to the same
event" situation - that's straight out of something like "Saved by the
Bell"!! Meanwhile, I did like the sequence where Dolores the maid made
Maggie and Bianca pamper her. ;>
Still way too little of Susan from CoolGhost - at this point, I'm
wondering why they even bumped her up to main cast, as they never use
her at all...

golf - I forgot to mention yesterday that I watched Day 3 of the Fort
Worth Invitational, mostly because Justin Rose was running away with
it. Well, he followed up with more of the same, so Rose easily won this
tournament on Day 4, finishing ahead by 3 strokes.

Chicago Med (recorded) - "This Is Now" (ep. #3.18). Finally catching up
on my backlog of these... This was a pretty good epie, because they
avoided the temptation to get preachy, and just showed what a
mass-casualty situation looks like from the standpoint of a hospital
emergency room.

Then, as somewhat background noise, I watched:

Instinct - It's too bad they didn't flip these episodes, because the
second of these, which I didn't watch fully 'cos it was up against
"Deception", looked better than the first of these, which I did watch
more fully...
Anyway, this still feels like a show that needs some fine-tuning.

Deception - Well, that was a very unsatisfying finale! Heck, they
didn't even tell us the real name of "mystery woman"!!

Recorded for later: Nuthin', as "Into the Badlands" took the night off...

anim8rfsk

May 28, 2018, 11:46:05 AM5/28/18
In article <peh7gc$9g5$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2018-05-28 14:54:32 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
> > In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> What did you watch?
> >
> > What did you watch?
>
> Ubi, asked first!... ;p

And we're making up for those of you that don't.

Arthur Lipscomb

May 28, 2018, 11:49:05 AM5/28/18
On 5/28/2018 7:54 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
> wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> WESTWORLD. Another unsatisfying episode. So the Geisha hosts have
> human hearts that can be cut out 'just in case'?

The newer modes are biological and pretty much indistinguishable from
humans. I thought the overall episode was OK. But this season is
definitely a step down from the first season.

> What did you watch?

The Bridge on the River Kwai (4K disc) 1957 classic about a Jedi, I mean
British Soldier captured during WWII and held as a prisoner of war.
This movie holds up excellently. I love how Obi-Wan goes from total
defiance to the thought of his officers doing manual labor to personally
going to the hospital to recruit wounded soldiers to build an enemy bridge.

Saving Private Ryan (4K disc) Steven Spielberg film staring Tom Hanks as
a soldier during WWII who is ordered to find and return home a soldier
(Matt Damon) after that soldier's brothers are all killed in combat on
the same day. It holds up well enough. Certain scenes still have an
emotional punch.

Star Wars Rebels - "The Occupation" - Just trying to make my way through
these.

Billions - "Redemption" - Chuck starts to build a case against his boss
while Axe continues to look for money from shady types.

anim8rfsk

May 28, 2018, 12:37:48 PM5/28/18
In article <peh8df$fhm$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> On 5/28/2018 7:54 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> What did you watch?
> >
> > WESTWORLD. Another unsatisfying episode. So the Geisha hosts have
> > human hearts that can be cut out 'just in case'?
> >

> The newer modes are biological and pretty much indistinguishable from
> humans. I thought the overall episode was OK. But this season is
> definitely a step down from the first season.

This is rapidly becoming that awful remake of Battlestar Galactica,
where every week they tell us the robots are indistinguishable from
humans, and every week show us they aren't. USB ports in their arms,
enhanced physical strength, spines that glow during sex, bluetooth in
their brains, but none of it shows up in an autopsy. The hosts have the
bluetooth and the USB and how is Bernard a new model and his brain sure
doesn't look like a humans ... and even the weapons can tell us apart.

anim8rfsk

May 28, 2018, 12:55:39 PM5/28/18
In article <anim8rfsk-80A02...@news.easynews.com>,
GOOD WITCH Write Like a Meriweather

This was ... odd. A woman and her daughter (OMG it's the incredibly
cute and petite Nina from Murdoch Mysteries the wanton hussy that broke
Crabtree's heart and stomped on it in the 6" stilettos that still don't
make her 5' tall) come to Grey House to recreate a photo they took when
the incredibly cute and petite Nina was a little girl - why, I don't
know. Mac calls George in to see what Grey House looked like before he
got there ... what? George has ALWAYS been there! He looks at the
photo and says "this was before I moved this there that that there ..."
so how does he remember a place he never saw that he made the changes
to? Anyway, somebody decides it would be great to re-transplant ALL the
damn plants back to where they used to be, and the incredibly cute and
petite Nina grabs a shovel and pitches in. Where sane people would have
said 'no way in Hell'

Suddenly a steamer trunk from 100 years ago is delivered, inspiring
Witch Jr. to write stories about a Meriweather ancestress. Full of
flying and romance and mystery and derring do and incredibly exact
details of the period and ... it all fits on one page. Uh, yeah, okay.
This gets her an interview to the college Courtney is going to!

Blonde Bistro Bimbo spends the whole episode trying to figure out who's
writing incredibly savage negative reviews of her - turns you it's her
fatness the moronic Mayor, who claims she's inspiring them all to
greatness.

Witch Junior finds out all the stories she wrote are true and she's
getting them magically, and her interview has cost Courtney her place in
line. So she blows the interview and gets Courtney back in
accomplishing ... well, absolutely nothing. Meanwhile Mom Witch and
Aunt Witch are telling her it's not cheating to pass off stories she
didn't write as her own.

The original photographer of the photo of the incredibly cute and petite
Nina is long dead, but his son has all his old equipment and saves the
day. At the last moment George says he painted the bench and Nina melts
down because it's the wrong color and after having sat through all this
crap about how digital is no good and photographer Jr only does stuff
the old fashioned way, he says "don't worry about it, I can change the
color of the bench as I develop the film" ... um, no, you really can't.

Son of Sam is neither seen nor heard nor spoken of, but next week Witch
Junior cheats on him!

David Barnett

May 28, 2018, 6:26:40 PM5/28/18
In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, web...@polaris.net says...

> What did you watch?

On Sunday May 27 I watched:

GOOD WITCH: Rest of Season 3.
Tho no Royal Wedding on the day before (Saturday),
There was still nothing to record.
The only thing is Season 4 is not available here yet.

On the other hand Netflix has added Season 3 of 12 Monkeys,
after I suffered watching it previously via Cable without CC.
I do not intend to watch it again.

Still waiting for another Season of The Good Place.
The new Season of The Expanse is not yet available here either.

--
David Barnett

David Barnett

May 28, 2018, 6:29:21 PM5/28/18
In article <anim8rfsk-80A02...@news.easynews.com>,
anim...@cox.net says...

> In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
> wrote:
>
> > What did you watch?
>
> WESTWORLD. Another unsatisfying episode. So the Geisha hosts have
> human hearts that can be cut out 'just in case'?

I certainly agree with "Another unsatisfying episode"

--
David Barnett

David Barnett

May 28, 2018, 6:34:42 PM5/28/18
In article <peh8df$fhm$1...@dont-email.me>, art...@alum.calberkeley.org
says...

> On 5/28/2018 7:54 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> What did you watch?
> >
> > WESTWORLD. Another unsatisfying episode. So the Geisha hosts have
> > human hearts that can be cut out 'just in case'?
>
> The newer modes are biological and pretty much indistinguishable from
> humans. I thought the overall episode was OK. But this season is
> definitely a step down from the first season.

And I agree with "this season is
"definitely a step down from the first season."

However I forgot to say that I liked the ending of this episode.

--
David Barnett

anim8rfsk

May 28, 2018, 6:38:55 PM5/28/18
In article <MPG.35772d2...@news.eternal-september.org>,
We're letting you down!

I blame myself. :(

David Barnett

May 28, 2018, 6:59:54 PM5/28/18
In article <anim8rfsk-90D58...@news.easynews.com>,
anim...@cox.net says...

> In article <MPG.35772d2...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> David Barnett <dbar...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> > On Sunday May 27 I watched:
> >
> > GOOD WITCH: Rest of Season 3.
> > Tho no Royal Wedding on the day before (Saturday),
> > There was still nothing to record.
> > The only thing is Season 4 is not available here yet.
> >
> > On the other hand Netflix has added Season 3 of 12 Monkeys,
> > after I suffered watching it previously via Cable without CC.
> > I do not intend to watch it again.
> >
> > Still waiting for another Season of The Good Place.
> > The new Season of The Expanse is not yet available here either.
>
> We're letting you down!

No Australian Netflix is.

> I blame myself. :(

You shouldn't.

--
David Barnett

Ian J. Ball

May 28, 2018, 11:18:19 PM5/28/18
Why not? - We do!! :)

anim8rfsk

May 28, 2018, 11:55:30 PM5/28/18
In article <MPG.35772f0...@news.eternal-september.org>,
I've already forgotten it.

Ubiquitous

May 29, 2018, 12:58:37 PM5/29/18
In article <280520180724598108%no...@noway.com>, no...@noway.com wrote:
>He was the Scarecrow in THE WIZARD OF OZ.

Oooh, so THAT is why he was dancing that jig at end!

Ubiquitous

May 29, 2018, 12:59:47 PM5/29/18
I don't recall the latter ep with Q retconning what happened to Picard.

Ubiquitous

May 29, 2018, 1:07:03 PM5/29/18
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>> What did you watch?
>
>WESTWORLD. Another unsatisfying episode. So the Geisha hosts have
>human hearts that can be cut out 'just in case'?
>
>PRIVATE EYES S02E10 Kissing the Canvas
>It's back, and it's fun, with George from Good Witch as the guy who
>stole all of Shade's money!
>
>Parts of two terrible episodes of THE LOVE BOAT. Early ones, showing
>that the show was mean spirited from the very beginning. Stupid, too.
>So the cruise directors say they're 'assigning cabins' when they great
>passengers as they board, but obviously the assignments have been made;
>all they do is tell the passengers their cabin number and point them in
>the general direction. So ... how do the passengers get *in* to their
>cabins - nobody gives them a key!!! And we had another one of these
>costume parties that Julie comes up with the day before they dock ... so
>the boat has an unlimited costume warehouse down in the lower decks?
>Toss in one of the most annoying child actors ever, James Bond III, and
>Sandy Duncan (why was she ever hot shit?) and you've got a crap sandwich
>ready for the eating!

Oh yes, I remember those.

THE LOVE BOAT:
Ugh, I hated all the stories and characters in this week's ep!
• "Lost and Found". A couple whose child recently died takes in a young
runaway. Or something. I couldn't have cared less about the discount
Webster/Arnold Drummund who had none of their charm or cuteness. It
didn't help that his story kept changing, not to mention the fact that
somehow this little boy somehow managed to buy a ticket for himself on a
cruise ship with money from his paper route. It didn't help that I was
more interested in figuring which eye of Sandy Duncan's was the glass one
than her backstory, either. I finally figoured it out during a scene with
them crying, but nearly missed it because the kid cried like he had been
sucker-punched.
• "The Understudy". A bitchy cruise-director trainee of Julie's is out
to steal her job. Well, we know that's not going to happen! It was
amusing that they made Gopher lip-sync Gavin's lines when he tricked her
into thinking the captain wanted her to seduce one of the "special
guests", which is why he fired her.
• "Married Singles". A married couple, on the advice of their marriage
councilor, take separate vacations; in adjacent rooms on the ship!
Wackiness ensues. The husband (Steve Allen) ends up with that annoying
bosomy blond bimbo with the baby voice from the early 1980's and ugh, I
cannot stand her! Luckily, their story took up a total of about five
minutes.

THE LOVE BOAT:
• "Romance Roulette". Jane Curtain and her friends from college decide to
play "romance roulette", a game in which they pick up men who say an
agreed-upon word and then dump them, rationalizing it by claiming men do
it all the time. Just to you, I suspect, ladies. After choosing
"screwdriver" as the code word, they pick up a dork who tells a hunk the
name of the drink he's trying to order, Doctor Bricker, and The Ship's
plumber, who came to fix a faucet or something at the bar. Is Isaac the
only bartender on this ship? Predictibly, Jane ends up falling in love
with the plumber, who is forbidden from fraternizing with passengers and
eventually discovers their game.
• "The Captain's Captain". Captain Stubing's stern father, Sergeant
Bilko, comes to visit and begins interfering with his job. At the
Captain's request, the crew "captain block" his father and inadvertantly
introduce him to the ships' salty cook (the only one?) with a heart of
gold.
• "A Dog's Life". Radar O'Reilly is trapped in his room's bathroom by a
mean security dog that somehow got onboard the ship. Damn, what is it
with the total lack of security on this ship? After several wacky (or
scary) failed attempts to rescue Radar, it turns out the dog was just a
pregnant bitch looking for a place to download some cute puppies, which
is pretty funny, considering it was obviously a skinny sire.

anim8rfsk

May 29, 2018, 1:44:52 PM5/29/18
In article <KoydneIkrvhmG5DG...@giganews.com>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> In article <pegv3b$8hh$1...@dont-email.me>, a...@chinet.com wrote:
> >Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
> >>STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION:
> >>"The Samaritan Snare". Retarded aliens some how trick the Enterprise
> >>into sending Geordi instead of an expendable red shirt into fixing
> >>their ship and then take him hostage. Meanwhile, Picard, whose vanity
> >>will not permit him to allow the crew to know about his heart surgery,
> >>has to take a slow shuttle to the surgeons with Wesley. Naturally,
> >>there are complications and Pulaski is called to save the day.
> >
> >I remember how much I despised this episode when I saw it in first run,
> >both the Geordi scenes and the massive expository Picard scenes to give
> >us this, uh, key insight into his character. I did, however, like the
> >later episode in which Q gave him a different back story.
>
> I don't recall the latter ep with Q retconning what happened to Picard.

Tapestry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_(Star_Trek)#Televised_appearances
"In "Tapestry", Q apparently saves Picard and helps him better
understand himself (although whether Q actually appeared in this episode
or was merely a hallucination Picard experienced during surgery is
deliberately left ambiguous)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapestry_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)
In this episode, Q (John de Lancie) allows a supposedly deceased Captain
Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) to re-visit a pivotal event in his
youth that he since regrets. Picard changes the past, but upon returning
to the present he finds that it made him the man he became. He returns
once more to the past and returns it to the way it originally took
place. Picard wakes up in the present, unsure if the events took place
or if it was as a result of his injury.

Jim G.

May 29, 2018, 2:36:20 PM5/29/18
Ubiquitous sent the following on 05/28/2018 at 03:30 AM:
> What did you watch?

KILLING EVE / 1x08 / God, I'm Tired

[Villanelle's mission is proving anything but straightforward, forcing
her to take drastic measures. Meanwhile, Eve makes a shocking discovery,
which leads her right to Villanelle and an electrifying confrontation
from which neither will emerge unscathed.]

"Wait. Are you frightened of your own mother?"
"Of course! Isn't everyone?"

"Is it hard to be bad?"
"Not if you practice."

Konstantin's daughter is great. Too bad he won't be around to be annoyed
by her anymore. Kenny needs to man up. Eve needs to get over her
obsession. The writers need to quit wasting so much time on foreplay.
Villanelle needs to keep better track of her knives.

Grade: B-

WESTWORLD / 2x06 / Phase Space

[We each deserve to choose our own fate.]

"QA has been trying to regain control of whatever Ford did to the
system, and they were actively blocked every time. By the Cradle."
"The Cradle can't influence the Mesa's infrastructure. It's just the
hosts' backups. It can simulate park narratives but it can't influence
the other systems."
"Well, look at this. The Cradle's interfaced with nearly every discrete
system in the entire park in the last seven days. Every time these
idiots upload a new hack, it's responding in, like, a totally different
way. It's like...there's something in here that's improvising. The
Cradle's fighting back."

"Hello, old friend."

Dolores and Bernarold have a conversation as part of a "fidelity" test
that suggests that Dolores herself is trying to create a sentient host
clone of him, her creator, not unlike the way that things played out
between Young William and Jim Delos earlier this season. And based on
aspect ratios, the exchange is taking place *within* the digital world.
It also suggests that Bernard, a digital copy of the late Arnold, may
have also since been replaced by a Bernard v2.0 created by Dolores,
which might explain why Bernard was so lost and confused when he woke up
on the shoreline two weeks after the gala massacre -- *if* Shoreline
Bernard is Bernard v2.0.

And then it's off to the park itself. Unfortunately for Dolores,
Charlotte has Abernathy in custody should soon be able to extract the
contents of his brain. That could get interesting.

Team Dolores now includes a version of Teddy who has been altered into
an amoral killing machine, and Dolores seems to be equal parts thrilled
and concerned at her own work on that front. Their search for Dolores's
"dad," Abernathy, continues, leading them towards the Mesa.

After Musashi's blade skills earn them all safe passage through
Shogunworld, Maeve says goodbye to him and Akane and the others too
soon, but it's what happens when you allow others to choose their own
fates. Sizemore gets Maeve and her entourage close to her past familiar
Westworld surroundings and she covers the final ground alone, reuniting
with her daughter at the ranch house. But her daughter doesn't know her,
and another host is playing the girl's mother, so the reunion isn't at
all what Maeve had hoped for. When a Ghost Nation raiding party attacks,
its leader tells Maeve and the girl to come with him since they are
looking for the same thing. Hmm...

Bernard and Elsie continue to work together and make their way to the
Mesa, and learn that the Cradle -- the server room for the collective
data/consciousness of all park hosts, essentially -- is fighting back.
In order to determine who's been using the Cradle for other purposes,
Bernard has Elsie extract his brain so that he can enter the matrix
directly and investigate.

After first thinking that Emily is actually a Ford host, the Man in
Black and his daughter bond and hash out some old issues, but it's not
enough to keep him from ditching her in the morning. She is not amused.

Mercenaries arrive at the Mesa to take over from Delos's own security
forces. Their head guy is awesome, but probably not long for this world.

And things wrap up back with Team Dolores, who have turned the train
into a rolling bomb and are sending it into the Mesa which, of course,
is where (a) the mercenaries and (b) Bernard/Elise and (c)
Charlotte/Abernathy are located. No sooner does the bomb go off than
Bernard, now in Sweetwater within the matrix, gets off the familiar
train and follows an unexpected greyhound dog to the local saloon, where
he is greeted by none other than...Robert Ford.

That final reveal is all kinds of interesting. First, it suggests that
Ford, Arnold and Dolores are *all* interacting in entirely new ways
*within the Cradle* as well as within the physical park itself. The
question is: what does Ford look like these days in the park itself?
That Ghost Nation guy who met up with Maeve, perhaps? Second, it
suggests that Ford has been in control this entire time and that Dolores
and Maeve have been deluding themselves into thinking that their new
free thoughts are their own. There are probably other implications that
I haven't thought of, as well. I just know that it was a terrific reveal.

This show just continues to be all kinds of awesome as it messes with
our minds in all kinds of ways. At least I've learned to (a) track
wounds in order to keep track of timelines and (b) pay attention to
aspect ratios to determine what's taking place in the physical world and
what is not.

Grade: A-

"Oh, my god. That's tragic. It's like a Hallmark movie. But with
tentacles." -- Dean Winchester, SUPERNATURAL

Ubiquitous

May 29, 2018, 4:21:55 PM5/29/18
So it didn't change?

At least it explains why Piccard laughed when he looked down at the blade
piercing his heart, but I suspect that was not the intention.

anim8rfsk

May 29, 2018, 5:11:28 PM5/29/18
In article <dNOdna32EOXBK5DG...@giganews.com>,
Well, it changed from him dying to surviving, which was bad for the
quadrant.

David Barnett

May 29, 2018, 5:41:38 PM5/29/18
In article <pek6j0$kha$1...@dont-email.me>, jimg...@geemail.com.invalid
says...

> Ubiquitous sent the following on 05/28/2018 at 03:30 AM:
> > What did you watch?

Your review has made me appreciate this episode more.

--
David Barnett

David Barnett

May 29, 2018, 5:42:40 PM5/29/18
In article <anim8rfsk-21F10...@news.easynews.com>,
anim...@cox.net says...
You forgot Ford?!

--
David Barnett

anim8rfsk

May 29, 2018, 6:20:59 PM5/29/18
In article <MPG.3578744...@news.eternal-september.org>,
David Barnett <dbar...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> In article <anim8rfsk-21F10...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim...@cox.net says...
> >
> > In article <MPG.35772f0...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> > David Barnett <dbar...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <peh8df$fhm$1...@dont-email.me>, art...@alum.calberkeley.org
> > > says...

> > > And I agree with "this season is
> > > "definitely a step down from the first season."
> > >
> > > However I forgot to say that I liked the ending of this episode.
> >
> > I've already forgotten it.
>
> You forgot Ford?!

I forgot whatever the end was. I probably remember it all, but not in
sequence.

Jim G.

May 29, 2018, 7:27:46 PM5/29/18
David Barnett sent the following on 05/29/2018 at 04:41 PM:
Thanks! This is a show that can be enjoyed on a basic level for its
impressive cinematography and acting and philosophical dialogue or by
peeling back the layers and trying to find everything that's there to be
found.

Adam H. Kerman

May 30, 2018, 10:20:31 PM5/30/18
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>I watched:

>STAR TREK: THE ANIMATED SERIES:
>"The Lorelei Signal". The men of the Enterprise are victimized by a
>race of beautiful women who stay immortal by draining the lifeforce of
>men. This ep is interesting in that Uhura leads a kick-ass all-women
>landing party to rescue the men! I'm pretty sure I didn't zone out or
>get distracted, but the scene where the men hide in the giant vase that
>they almost drown in them was missing, making their rescue seem random.

There wasn't exactly a scene; they just saw it on a magic monitor.

For what it's worth, I noticed this in the listings and recorded it. I
had forgotten just how awful the series was. It was great that they
brought back so much of the original cast to voice their characters, but
the Filmation animation, I swear, was worse than Hanna-Barbera. The only
animation I've seen that was more horrific was first season Rocky and
Bullwinkle, contracted out to that totally incompetent Mexican animation
studio.

Yeah, yeah, there were a few good scripts but most of it was bad. This
must have been one of the worst episodes.

The only thing that was fun was Uhura figuring out what was happening
and that she would take command of the ship, of at least the women. She
never got to command anything on Star Trek!

But the script immediately forgot what it had done in previous scenes,
such as Spock ordering Uhura to bring down an all-female landing party.

Uhura forced the lead woman to back down by destroying pottery! The
women on the planet had fairly decent technology but no weapons of any
kind?

It was incredibly noticeable that the cast weren't recording their lines
together. No one seemed to be talking to anyone else and the intonation
was all wrong.

anim8rfsk

May 30, 2018, 10:35:23 PM5/30/18
In article <penm5c$kec$1...@dont-email.me>,
And because that part of it was a total fail, it became standard
industry practice.

Adam H. Kerman

May 30, 2018, 10:44:01 PM5/30/18
Hey, Ubi: I liked the commentary here.

http://www.agonybooth.com/star-trek-the-animated-series-the-lorelei-signal-24864

I really should be an asshole and hide the citation in the headers like
you.

Adam H. Kerman

May 30, 2018, 10:50:06 PM5/30/18
Oh, one more comment:

I couldn't stand the incidental music. Even though the cartoon series
had a Paramount logo, somehow, they hadn't licensed music from the tv
series and commissioned replacement music that was off by a third, or
they just reversed the phrasing.

It's incredibly off putting. I would have much preferred an entirely
original score not based on the series' music if they didn't have the
budget to use the music.

Ubiquitous

May 31, 2018, 8:02:12 AM5/31/18
In article <penm5c$kec$1...@dont-email.me>, a...@chinet.com wrote:
>Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>>I watched:
>
>>STAR TREK: THE ANIMATED SERIES:
>>"The Lorelei Signal". The men of the Enterprise are victimized by a
>>race of beautiful women who stay immortal by draining the lifeforce of
>>men. This ep is interesting in that Uhura leads a kick-ass all-women
>>landing party to rescue the men! I'm pretty sure I didn't zone out or
>>get distracted, but the scene where the men hide in the giant vase that
>>they almost drown in them was missing, making their rescue seem random.
>
>There wasn't exactly a scene; they just saw it on a magic monitor.

No, there was a scene in which the men decided to hide from the women by
climbing into a big-ass vase, then discovered they couldn't get back out when
it began to rain.

Later, Uhura's team forced the women to use the magic monitor to find Kirk et
al. I have no clue why it never occurred to the alien women to do that.

Ubiquitous

Jun 1, 2018, 10:49:06 AM6/1/18
In article <penm5c$kec$1...@dont-email.me>, a...@chinet.com wrote:
>Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>>I watched:
>
>>STAR TREK: THE ANIMATED SERIES:
>>"The Lorelei Signal". The men of the Enterprise are victimized by a
>>race of beautiful women who stay immortal by draining the lifeforce of
>>men. This ep is interesting in that Uhura leads a kick-ass all-women
>>landing party to rescue the men! I'm pretty sure I didn't zone out or
>>get distracted, but the scene where the men hide in the giant vase that
>>they almost drown in them was missing, making their rescue seem random.
>
>There wasn't exactly a scene; they just saw it on a magic monitor.

No, there was a scene in which the men decided to hide from the women by
climbing into a big-ass vase, then discovered they couldn't get back out when
it began to rain.

Later, Uhura's team forced the women to use the magic monitor to find Kirk et
al. I have no clue why it never occurred to the alien women to do that.

>For what it's worth, I noticed this in the listings and recorded it. I
>had forgotten just how awful the series was. It was great that they
>brought back so much of the original cast to voice their characters, but
>the Filmation animation, I swear, was worse than Hanna-Barbera. The only
>animation I've seen that was more horrific was first season Rocky and
>Bullwinkle, contracted out to that totally incompetent Mexican animation
>studio.

Yeah, the animation is awful. I always laugh at the scenes of the Enterprise
flying thru space that look more like it's sliding over a flat surface and
the overhead scenes of the bridge with Uhura looking realllly relaxed in her
seat. https://goo.gl/images/U45KPR

Ubiquitous

Jun 1, 2018, 10:51:04 AM6/1/18
In article <pennhe$n03$2...@dont-email.me>, a...@chinet.com wrote:

>Hey, Ubi: I liked the commentary here.
>
>http://www.agonybooth.com/star-trek-the-animated-series-the-lorelei-signal-24864

I was just thinking about that site!

>I really should be an asshole and hide the citation in the
>headers like you.

No, you'd just look like a moron for posting an empty followup.

Ubiquitous

Jun 1, 2018, 10:52:39 AM6/1/18
They used the same music they used for all their shows, if memory
serves.

anim8rfsk

Jun 1, 2018, 11:11:39 AM6/1/18
In article <Speoo81$u7v$5...@dont-email.me>,
They gave a preview of the show at a Trek convention and the fans were
reporting that the animation of the Enterprise was indistinguishable
from the original live action; I was horrified when I finally saw it.

Ubiquitous

Jun 1, 2018, 2:20:57 PM6/1/18
They couldn't get a clear signal with thier rabbit ears?

~consul

Aug 17, 2018, 1:21:08 PM8/17/18
>> On 5/28/2018 7:54 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>>> In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
>>> WESTWORLD. Another unsatisfying episode. So the Geisha hosts have
>>> human hearts that can be cut out 'just in case'?
>> The newer modes are biological and pretty much indistinguishable from
>> humans. I thought the overall episode was OK. But this season is
>> definitely a step down from the first season.

I'd agree that they are made to have biological parts now, and there
is a lot extra space in a normal human body to stash extra bits like a
bio-port.
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk. For here,
at the end of all things, we shall do what needs to be done."

anim8rfsk

Aug 17, 2018, 1:34:56 PM8/17/18
Fri, 17 Aug 2018 10:21:04 -0700
consul<con...@dolphinsPLEASEdelAWAY-cove.DELcom> wrote:

> > > The newer modes are biological and pretty much indistinguishable from
> > > humans. I thought the overall episode was OK. But this season is
> > > definitely a step down from the first season.
>
> I'd agree that they are made to have biological parts now, and there
> is a lot extra space in a normal human body to stash extra bits like a
> bio-port.

But the lead girl is an original model with metal pistons in her stomach!

Ian J. Ball

Aug 17, 2018, 1:45:48 PM8/17/18
She *was* that. They made clear in season #1 that she got a "rebuild"
to the "bio" model at some point.

FWIW, I thought that whole "heart" scene in Shogun World was dumb (but,
then again, I thought that whole episode was dumb!), as they've already
established that the "bio" models aren't *exactly* the same as human
physiology.