CNN.com Breaking News! "4 myths of the Book of Revelation"

KalElFan

Apr 1, 2012, 8:17:43 AM4/1/12
Sub-heading:

"The anti-Christ. The Battle of Armageddon. The Four Horsemen
of the Apocalypse. An author says that the famous symbols in
the Bible's last book don't mean what you think they do."

Yep, because an "author says... what you think" about the bible
ain't right, a headline on CNN's breaking news page is on it! On
Palm Sunday morning a week before Easter no less! Take that,
you Bible Belt Believers and your Beliefs!

Upcoming in advance of the next Muslim Holy Day, watch for the
CNN headline story telling Muslims that they're all wrong about
baloney/myths in the Koran, citing reputable "author" sources.

Didn't bother clicking the link to check who this Revelation-correcting
author was, so I guess I will for any interested. I'll bet it's somebody
with an aura of theological respectability, eh? Let's see...

"Elaine Pagels," one of the "world’s leading biblical scholars" of course!
Did I ace my prediction or what! Never heard of her, but anyway that
"author" part could have read "Elaine Sez..." eh? I guess they wanted
to roll that out out off-headline instead. Didn't read the article beyond
that.

Anyway, the upcoming Muslim story rumor is that the source is some
guy named Floyd. His last name will be withheld by request. :-/

P.S.: For any fans of "Elaine" she has every right to her expert (dare I
say God given?) insight into the Truth, and however many books she
can sell or PR she can get. I'm mainly skewering CNN's Breaking News
page that I click on pretty much two or three times a day.

fuma...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2012, 10:49:41 AM4/1/12
to KalElFan
On Sunday, April 1, 2012 1:17:43 PM UTC+1, KalElFan wrote:
> Sub-heading:
>
> "The anti-Christ. The Battle of Armageddon. The Four Horsemen
> of the Apocalypse. An author says that the famous symbols in
> the Bible's last book don't mean what you think they do."
>
> Yep, because an "author says... what you think" about the bible
> ain't right, a headline on CNN's breaking news page is on it! On
> Palm Sunday morning a week before Easter no less! Take that,
> you Bible Belt Believers and your Beliefs!

"the Empire never ended"

Revelation was an anti-Roman tract and a piece of war propaganda wrapped in one. The message: God would return and destroy the Romans who had destroyed Jerusalem.
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/31/four-big-myths-about-the-book-of-revelation/?hpt=hp_c1

"I don't think we understand this book until we understand that it's wartime literature," she says. "It comes out of that war, and it comes out of people who have been destroyed by war."
http://www.npr.org/2012/03/07/148125942/the-book-of-revelation-visions-prophecy-politics

Pagels persuasively interprets Revelation as a scathing attack on the decadence of Rome.
http://booksellers.penguin.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780670023349,00.html

A recurring theme in Exegesis is PKD's hypothesis that history had been stopped in the 1st century AD., and that "the Empire never ended". He saw Rome as the pinnacle of materialism and despotism, which, after forcing the Gnostics underground, had kept the population of Earth enslaved to worldly possessions. Dick believed that VALIS had communicated with him, and anonymous others, to induce the impeachment of U.S. President Richard Nixon, whom Dick believed to be the current Emperor of Rome incarnate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_K._Dick

Sitting in a restaurant not far from NSA headquarters, the place where he spent nearly 40 years of his life, Binney held his thumb and forefinger close together. “We are, like, that far from a turnkey totalitarian state,” he says.
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/1

"A nation can be one or the other, a democracy or an imperialist, but it can’t be both. If it sticks to imperialism, it will, like the old Roman Republic, on which so much of our system was modeled, like the old Roman Republic, it will lose its democracy to a domestic dictatorship." - Chalmers Johnson

elzbet

Apr 1, 2012, 2:06:14 PM4/1/12
You forgot to either say what the alternative interpretation of
Revelation was, or else include a link to it.

HTH.

KalElFan

Apr 1, 2012, 2:56:40 PM4/1/12
On alt.politics.media, "Padraigh ProAmerica" wrote in message

> Pagels is regarded by both mainstream churches AND evangelicals as a
> heretic. Quite an acheivement, and it says a lot about her creedibility.
>
> Just the type of "christian" the leftie media loves.
>
> --
> "The only two things that are infinite are the Universe and human
> stupidity- and I'm not too sure about the former."--
>
> Albert Einstein

I'd never heard of her as I said, but sure that's the kind of story and
source one would expect from left-leaning media, about Christianity.
If it's around a Christian holy day all the better!

The Toronto Star, editorially a loon rag, had a story in its religious
section several years ago IIRC, from one of those <cough> esteemed
religious scholars </cough> who say Jesus was just based on Egyptian
myths or some such and never really existed.

David Johnston

Apr 1, 2012, 7:26:51 PM4/1/12
On 4/1/2012 6:17 AM, KalElFan wrote:
> Sub-heading:
>
> "The anti-Christ. The Battle of Armageddon. The Four Horsemen
> of the Apocalypse. An author says that the famous symbols in
> the Bible's last book don't mean what you think they do."
>
> Yep, because an "author says... what you think" about the bible
> ain't right, a headline on CNN's breaking news page is on it! On
> Palm Sunday morning a week before Easter no less! Take that,
> you Bible Belt Believers and your Beliefs!
>
> Upcoming in advance of the next Muslim Holy Day, watch for the
> CNN headline story telling Muslims that they're all wrong about
> baloney/myths in the Koran, citing reputable "author" sources.

Uh...their audience is 90% Christian and about 3% Muslim. Not exactly
going to get big ratings aiming at 3% of their audience.