Today's premieres and other notes (Tuesday, July 24)

Robin Miller

Jul 24, 2018, 12:35:21 PM7/24/18

The Warning [El Aviso] (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)

After his friend is shot, a math genius discovers a pattern of deaths at
a local gas station and uses his knowledge to warn the next victim ­ a
10-year-old who knows his life is in danger, even though no one seems to
believe him. Spanish film.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/warning-review-1098266

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_warning_2018/

https://www.netflix.com/title/80232989

Not this The Warning: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2106749/

Or this one: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2106749/

Iliza Shlesinger: Elder Millennial (comedy special) (3:01
am, Netflix)

https://www.netflix.com/title/80213658

Tumble Leaf (season 4, 1st half) (3:01 am, Amazon Prime)

Bizaardvark (season 3 premiere) (10:30 am, Disney Channel)

Bad Henry (documentary) (9-11 pm, Investigation Discovery)

When the body of 18-year-old Brandi Henderson is found on March 10th
1994, strangled in her Charlotte, NC home, Detective Garry McFadden and
the CMPD Homicide Squad are worried; they normally have one strangling
per year, but this is the second strangulation in 3 weeks. Caught in the
grips of the crack epidemic with a new murder almost every other day,
Detective McFadden and the CMPD's nine-person Homicide Unit are already
overwhelmed. As more victims are found, and patterns emerge, Garry and
the team find themselves on the hunt for a serial killer and time is
running out before he claims his next victim. Reveals the story of 'Bad'
Henry Louis Wallace, one of the country's most notorious serial killers.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Investigation-Discovery-Premieres-Serial-Killer-Special-BAD-HENRY-20180628

https://www.investigationdiscovery.com/tv-shows/bad-henry/

Desert Flippers (season 3 premiere) (9 pm, HGTV)

Miz & Mrs [new] (10 pm, USA)

Follows the lives of WWE superstars (and married couple) The Miz and Maryse.

Tomorrow's advance notes:

Castle Rock [new] (3:01 am, Hulu)

Hulu's next big thing is a psychological horror series from producer
J.J. Abrams and best-selling author Stephen King. As the title suggests,
Castle Rock is set in the "Stephen King multiverse"—many of his works
take place in that fictional Maine small town—though it tells a new,
original story: Death row attorney Henry (Andre Holland) returns to his
hometown of Castle Rock, Maine after receiving a call from Shawshank.
Sissy Spacek, Melanie Lynskey, Bill Skarsgård, Jane Levy, and Scott
Glenn also star. Three episodes stream today, with the remaining
episodes arriving weekly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXsKCQenpt0

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/castle-rock-2018 [Metacritic score 69]

Burden of Truth [new to US] (8 pm, CW)

Burden of Truth is a ten-part serialised investigative drama about
life-altering legal cases. Fast-rising corporate attorney Joanna Hanley
(Kristin Kreuk, Smallville, Beauty and the Beast) returns to her small
hometown of Millwood – a prairie town with an industrial past and
uncertain future – to represent a major client in a case against some
sick high school girls. She dispatches her case quickly and efficiently,
crushing the girls and their small-town lawyer – her former high school
classmate Billy Crawford. After winning her case, she discovers the
girls are sicker than anyone thought. Otherwise healthy young women have
been overcome with uncontrollable twitches and seizures, making life
unlivable. They need help. Joanna also realizes she may have unresolved
personal business in town. Even though she’s a successful partner in a
big law firm, she can’t ignore the feeling that something in her life is
not right. She becomes convinced all the answers she’s seeking about her
broken life can be found in her old hometown. And if she’s going to fix
herself, she has to start where it all began – with uncovering all of
her family’s deepest secrets. First broadcast by CBC.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/burden-of-truth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burden_of_Truth_(TV_series)

Sniper: The Ultimate Competition (special) (8-10 pm,
History Channel)

Active duty snipers from the military, law enforcement and America's
elite federal agencies descend on Fort Benning, GA to compete in a
series of deadly challenges based on real combat situations. Host Tim
Kennedy is a Ranger qualified, Green Beret, Special Forces Sniper who
has done tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and is still active as a member
of the U.S. Army National Guard.

https://www.history.com/specials/sniper-the-ultimate-competition

World of Dance (new time slot) (8-10 pm, NBC)

Young & Hungry (season 5 and series finale) (8 and
8:30 pm, Freeform)

Colony (season 3 and series finale) (10 pm, USA)

El Chapo (season 3 and series finale) (10 pm, Univision)

The Art Show [new] (10 pm, Ovation)

The Art Show travels the globe to bring fascinating stories about art.
With broadcasters Kate Bryan, June Sarpong and Will Best, curator Carrie
Scott, artist Charming Baker, and art historian Dr. James Fox, we'll see
new work being made, meet famous photographers and artists, and
experience culture all around the world.

--Robin

Dimensional Traveler

Jul 24, 2018, 12:58:33 PM7/24/18
On 7/24/2018 9:35 AM, Robin Miller wrote:

>         Tomorrow's advance notes:
>

> Castle Rock       [new]          (3:01 am, Hulu)
>
> Hulu's next big thing is a psychological horror series from producer
> J.J. Abrams and best-selling author Stephen King.
Now that is a terrifying team up.

instinct are running screaming.

Ian J. Ball

Jul 24, 2018, 1:27:47 PM7/24/18
On 2018-07-24 16:35:14 +0000, Robin Miller said:

> Tomorrow's advance notes:
>

> Burden of Truth [new to US] (8 pm, CW)
>
> Burden of Truth is a ten-part serialised investigative drama about
> life-altering legal cases. Fast-rising corporate attorney Joanna Hanley
> (Kristin Kreuk, Smallville, Beauty and the Beast) returns to her small
> hometown of Millwood – a prairie town with an industrial past and
> uncertain future – to represent a major client in a case against some
> sick high school girls. She dispatches her case quickly and
> efficiently, crushing the girls and their small-town lawyer – her
> former high school classmate Billy Crawford. After winning her case,
> she discovers the girls are sicker than anyone thought. Otherwise
> healthy young women have been overcome with uncontrollable twitches and
> seizures, making life unlivable. They need help. Joanna also realizes
> she may have unresolved personal business in town. Even though she’s a
> successful partner in a big law firm, she can’t ignore the feeling that
> something in her life is not right. She becomes convinced all the
> answers she’s seeking about her broken life can be found in her old
> hometown. And if she’s going to fix herself, she has to start where it
> all began – with uncovering all of her family’s deepest secrets. First
> broadcast by CBC.
>
> --Robin

I have to think long and hard about whether I actually want to watch
this. I'd have to record the first 2 or 3 episodes, which is actually a
huge disincentive... We'll see.

Capricorne

Jul 24, 2018, 1:37:14 PM7/24/18
Ian J. Ball has written:
I've seen it. It is not exceptional. Quite known story, seen many times
before. I give a 6 out of 10. :/

Robin Miller

Jul 24, 2018, 2:02:47 PM7/24/18
Well, you're no W/Q.

:-)

So is this a true story? I tried a couple of Google searched but didn't
turn up anything.

--Robin

anim8rfsk

Jul 24, 2018, 4:03:04 PM7/24/18
In article <frp2q6...@mid.individual.net>,
> Sissy Spacek, Melanie Lynskey, Bill SkarsgŒrd, Jane Levy, and Scott
> Glenn also star. Three episodes stream today, with the remaining
> episodes arriving weekly.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXsKCQenpt0
>
> http://www.metacritic.com/tv/castle-rock-2018 [Metacritic score 69]
>

> Burden of Truth [new to US] (8 pm, CW)
>
> Burden of Truth is a ten-part serialised investigative drama about
> life-altering legal cases. Fast-rising corporate attorney Joanna Hanley
> (Kristin Kreuk, Smallville, Beauty and the Beast) returns to her small
> hometown of Millwood � a prairie town with an industrial past and
> uncertain future � to represent a major client in a case against some
> sick high school girls. She dispatches her case quickly and efficiently,
> crushing the girls and their small-town lawyer � her former high school
> classmate Billy Crawford. After winning her case, she discovers the
> girls are sicker than anyone thought. Otherwise healthy young women have
> been overcome with uncontrollable twitches and seizures, making life
> unlivable. They need help. Joanna also realizes she may have unresolved
> personal business in town. Even though she� a successful partner in a
> big law firm, she can� ignore the feeling that something in her life is
> not right. She becomes convinced all the answers she� seeking about her
> broken life can be found in her old hometown. And if she� going to fix
> herself, she has to start where it all began � with uncovering all of
> her family� deepest secrets. First broadcast by CBC.
>
> http://www.metacritic.com/tv/burden-of-truth
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burden_of_Truth_(TV_series)
>

> Sniper: The Ultimate Competition (special) (8-10 pm,
> History Channel)
>
> Active duty snipers from the military, law enforcement and America's
> elite federal agencies descend on Fort Benning, GA to compete in a
> series of deadly challenges based on real combat situations. Host Tim
> Kennedy is a Ranger qualified, Green Beret, Special Forces Sniper who
> has done tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and is still active as a member
> of the U.S. Army National Guard.
>
> https://www.history.com/specials/sniper-the-ultimate-competition
>

> World of Dance (new time slot) (8-10 pm, NBC)
>

> Young & Hungry (season 5 and series finale) (8 and
> 8:30 pm, Freeform)

SQUIGGLE!

> Colony (season 3 and series finale) (10 pm, USA)
>

> El Chapo (season 3 and series finale) (10 pm, Univision)
>

> The Art Show [new] (10 pm, Ovation)
>
> The Art Show travels the globe to bring fascinating stories about art.
> With broadcasters Kate Bryan, June Sarpong and Will Best, curator Carrie
> Scott, artist Charming Baker, and art historian Dr. James Fox, we'll see
> new work being made, meet famous photographers and artists, and
> experience culture all around the world.

Thanks for nothing,> --Robin

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

anim8rfsk

Jul 24, 2018, 4:04:29 PM7/24/18
In article <pj7nif$5ks$1...@dont-email.me>,
It's on the CW. I'm down to Penn & Teller and the Jessica Steen Feel
Good hour. I'm pretty sure I don't want to bother with another scripted
drama on the CW, considering how many I've quit in the last few months.

anim8rfsk

Jul 24, 2018, 4:04:50 PM7/24/18
In article <frp6e7...@mid.individual.net>,
That's a really really high score for a CW show.

anim8rfsk

Jul 24, 2018, 4:05:33 PM7/24/18
In article <pj7lrm$ori$1...@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> On 7/24/2018 9:35 AM, Robin Miller wrote:
> >
> >         Tomorrow's advance notes:
> >

> > Castle Rock       [new]          (3:01 am, Hulu)
> >
> > Hulu's next big thing is a psychological horror series from producer
> > J.J. Abrams and best-selling author Stephen King.
> Now that is a terrifying team up.

And the first thing they do is toss King's work.

David Johnston

Jul 24, 2018, 4:27:07 PM7/24/18
On 2018-07-24 2:05 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <pj7lrm$ori$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> On 7/24/2018 9:35 AM, Robin Miller wrote:
>>>
>>>         Tomorrow's advance notes:
>>>

>>> Castle Rock       [new]          (3:01 am, Hulu)
>>>
>>> Hulu's next big thing is a psychological horror series from producer
>>> J.J. Abrams and best-selling author Stephen King.
>> Now that is a terrifying team up.
>
> And the first thing they do is toss King's work.

One lives in hope. I've seen King's efforts at screenwriting.

Dimensional Traveler

Jul 24, 2018, 5:00:25 PM7/24/18
On 7/24/2018 1:02 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> [...]
>> Kennedy is a Ranger qualified, Green Beret, Special Forces Sniper who
>> has done tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and is still active as a member
>> of the U.S. Army National Guard.
>>
>> https://www.history.com/specials/sniper-the-ultimate-competition
>>

>> World of Dance (new time slot) (8-10 pm, NBC)
>>

>> Young & Hungry (season 5 and series finale) (8 and
>> 8:30 pm, Freeform)
>
> SQUIGGLE!
>

>> Colony (season 3 and series finale) (10 pm, USA)
>>

>> El Chapo (season 3 and series finale) (10 pm, Univision)
>>

>> The Art Show [new] (10 pm, Ovation)
>>
>> The Art Show travels the globe to bring fascinating stories about art.
>> With broadcasters Kate Bryan, June Sarpong and Will Best, curator Carrie
>> Scott, artist Charming Baker, and art historian Dr. James Fox, we'll see
>> new work being made, meet famous photographers and artists, and
>> experience culture all around the world.

Wadda ya mean "nothing"? You got to squiggle, didn't you?

Jim G.

Jul 24, 2018, 5:45:30 PM7/24/18
David Johnston sent the following on 07/24/2018 at 03:27 PM:
Heh. Exactly. I recall an episode of THE X-FILES that required major
reworking just to get it to fit in with standard TV norms. And between
him and Clancy, I don't know which one better exemplifies how quickly
writing can go downhill when there's not a good editor around, willing
to confront a successful author's ego by trimming the story fat and
thinning the narrative and bringing the final product to something under
a thousand pages.

"Oh, my god. That's tragic. It's like a Hallmark movie. But with
tentacles." -- Dean Winchester, SUPERNATURAL

Capricorne

Jul 24, 2018, 5:49:55 PM7/24/18
anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <pj7nif$5ks$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 2018-07-24 16:35:14 +0000, Robin Miller said:
>>
>>> Tomorrow's advance notes:
>>>

>>> Burden of Truth [new to US] (8 pm, CW)
>>>
>>> Burden of Truth is a ten-part serialised investigative drama about
>>> life-altering legal cases. Fast-rising corporate attorney Joanna Hanley
>>> (Kristin Kreuk, Smallville, Beauty and the Beast) returns to her small
>>> hometown of Millwood – a prairie town with an industrial past and
>>> uncertain future – to represent a major client in a case against some
>>> sick high school girls. She dispatches her case quickly and
>>> efficiently, crushing the girls and their small-town lawyer – her
>>> former high school classmate Billy Crawford. After winning her case,
>>> she discovers the girls are sicker than anyone thought. Otherwise
>>> healthy young women have been overcome with uncontrollable twitches and
>>> seizures, making life unlivable. They need help. Joanna also realizes
>>> she may have unresolved personal business in town. Even though she’s a
>>> successful partner in a big law firm, she can’t ignore the feeling that
>>> something in her life is not right. She becomes convinced all the
>>> answers she’s seeking about her broken life can be found in her old
>>> hometown. And if she’s going to fix herself, she has to start where it
>>> all began – with uncovering all of her family’s deepest secrets. First
>>> broadcast by CBC.
>>>
>>> --Robin
>>
>> I have to think long and hard about whether I actually want to watch
>> this. I'd have to record the first 2 or 3 episodes, which is actually a
>> huge disincentive... We'll see.
>
> It's on the CW. I'm down to Penn & Teller and the Jessica Steen Feel
> Good hour. I'm pretty sure I don't want to bother with another scripted
> drama on the CW, considering how many I've quit in the last few months.

It'a CBC series.

Capricorne

Jul 24, 2018, 11:49:50 PM7/24/18
I don't know what that means.

Robin Miller

Jul 25, 2018, 12:00:26 AM7/25/18
A poster who rates (almost) every show -10 out of 10.

It was a little joke.

--Robin

Adam H. Kerman

Jul 25, 2018, 12:10:47 AM7/25/18
That's shows he's seen. If he won't watch, it's 0/10 and still writes a
review.

If someone won't even sample a show, we call that W/Q'ing.

anim8rfsk

Jul 25, 2018, 12:40:41 AM7/25/18
In article <frqaun...@mid.individual.net>,
"Very little, Ensign"> --Robin

Robin Miller

Jul 25, 2018, 12:45:02 AM7/25/18
anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <frqaun...@mid.individual.net>,
> Robin Miller <robin....@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Capricorne wrote:

>>> I don't know what that means.
>>>

>> A poster who rates (almost) every show -10 out of 10.
>>
>> It was a little joke.
>>
> "Very little, Ensign"> --Robin

:-)

Thanks for the support.

--Robin

Dimensional Traveler

Jul 25, 2018, 12:58:13 AM7/25/18
He has difficulty supporting people, down there at the bottom of the
Digital Grand Canyon.

(I, on the other hand, was going to say "That joke is about a size -10,
Robin.")

Robin Miller

Jul 25, 2018, 2:41:40 AM7/25/18
Tough crowd here tonight!

--Robin

Connor

Jul 25, 2018, 2:57:23 PM7/25/18
probably not about turtles??

Adam H. Kerman

Jul 25, 2018, 6:25:52 PM7/25/18
I liked it.

Robin Miller

Jul 25, 2018, 7:08:23 PM7/25/18
Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Robin Miller <robin....@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler wrote:

>> US]         (8 pm, CW)

>>> He has difficulty supporting people, down there at the bottom of the
>>> Digital Grand Canyon.
>>>
>>> (I, on the other hand, was going to say "That joke is about a size -10,
>>> Robin.")
>>>

>> Tough crowd here tonight!
>
> I liked it.

I'd +1 you, but you're not supposed to do that.

:-)

--Robin