What Did You Watch? 2012-05-28 (Monday)

Ubiquitous

May 29, 2012, 4:48:26 AM5/29/12
On Memorial Day, I watched:

THE O'REILLY FACTOR
� The Great American News Quiz 'Best Of' edition, tonight at 8/11p ET on
The O�Reilly Factor!

LEXX:
"Nook".After Xev promises to have sex with Stan if she doesn't find
someone on a planet to have sex with, they discover an order of monks
who profess to have no idea what a woman is. It is a repressive and
stagnant place, where the monks copy writings out of ancient books
without knowing how to read, so that they will not be corrupted by
dangerous ideas. Kai asks their leader how they procreate without women,
but Brother Randor claims ignorance of such matters. Meanwhile, Xev is
stirring up trouble by making sexual overtures to various monks and
Brother Read has a crush on Stan.

KEXX:
"Norb". Norb, the adopted son of Pa Gollean (see "White Trash"), runs
across a giant Candy House Satellite which is actually a swarm of
Mantrid Drones, who then begin to chase Norb. Norb barely escapes by
ejecting as his Charger is overrun by drones. Lexx and the crew hear his
distress call in space and pick him up. Once inside he acts very
differently than when previously encountered when suddenly his body
comes apart to reveal 5 Mantrid Drones after, killing 790 by crushing
the tiny piece of human brain that enabled him to love Xev. The drones
also deliver a message from Mantrid: "Let the contest begin". Kai and
Xev use Kai's protoblood and a protein regenerator to bring 790 back.
Meanwhile, the Drones begin to "eat" Lexx and make more drones with his
parts.

LEXX:
"Twilight". After Stanley Tweedle becomes gravely ill, the crew of the
Lexx take him to the planet Ruuma, where they encounter a ghastly
family: the father, Roada, a scheming sleazeball, the last vestige of
the Divine order, who was left behind on the planet by his brethren
after the death of His Shadow; his shrewish wife, Hidea; and their
daughter, Lomea, a surly goth teen. Ruuma has the power to make the dead
into walkers, so the many corpses of His Divine Shadow's earlier bodies
reside here, constantly trying to break in and devour the family. It was
Roada's job to look after the bodies when the Cluster was still in
operation, but now he's losing control of the situation and it seems the
family won't survive long. The same forces that animate the corpses has
an unusual effect on Kai and after Xev is bitten it's up to Lyekka to
save the day.

LEXX:
"Patches in the Sky".Stan is having bad dreams so Xev tells him to do
something "mighty" to help him feel better. Stan accidentally blows up a
robot-manned manganese mining planet after the robot administrator tells
him of the Narco-Lounger which allows people to enter and control their
dreams. Fruitcake, a past customer of the Narco-Lounger tells the owner
of Narco-World, Gubby, about "Patches in the Sky", unknownst to him
are caiused by Mantrid's Drones ongoing destruction of the whole
universe. The terrible reality of this turns Gubby to drugs. Stan and
crew arrive and Stan uses the machine to enter his dreams but they turn
into nightmares as he dreams of being chased first by the dead robot
administrator and then by Giggerota. Xev must enter to save him, while
Kai struggles to save them both.

What did you watch?

--
"If Barack Obama isn't careful, he will become the Jimmy Carter of the
21st century."

Obveeus

May 29, 2012, 6:26:51 AM5/29/12

"Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> What did you watch?

HATFIELDS & MCCOYS: This was definitely something with Kevin Coster's
signature boringness stamped all over it. I watched all of part #1, but I
think I'll stop there as another 4 hours of this just seems like too much.
Yes, it is an interesting historical event to look over, but I'm not even
sure if this series is trying to portray things accurately. I did a bit of
internet reading after part #1 ended and I'm not sure the two clan heads
fought together in the war...or that the Romeo&Juliet love story was really
more than a scumbag churning his way though lots of women...or that the tale
of two families killing each other was really more than a case of one family
killing the other one in large numbers.

Steve Newport

May 29, 2012, 6:51:50 AM5/29/12
Friday's REAL TIME with Bill Maher. It included a great discussion of
the Republicans misuse of the Senate filibuster, along with some of the
things we would have-- but for that "coup" as Bill calls it.

*********************************

shawn

May 29, 2012, 7:03:01 AM5/29/12
I made it through the first hour but had to bail after that. It's hard
to imagine a movie with some good actors in it turning out to be so
dull and boring but they managed. It's not even that it was sort of a
talkie as I've seen movies where the actors did nothing but talk and
yet they made it riveting. No one was even attempting to hold my
attention during this movie. I imagine even the crew was falling
asleep during the filming.

I also watched the last few episodes of Great British Menu Wales where
highly rated chefs from various regions in the UK compete head to head
to get their dishes into the feast for the Olympians. Each episode is
focused on a particular course (appetizer, fish, meat, dessert) and
are judged by another chef. For the final episode only two of the
three chefs goes forward to cook their four course meal for a panel of
three judges who taste and decide who gets to compete against the
other regions.

I also watched a bit of the Hawaii Five-O finale where Tom Sizemore's
character get killed off. (I have to wonder what led to this plot
development given his past.) We get two evil characters working
together with another one (that's behind bars) and yet working
separately. Lots of bad police work spread throughout this episode.

Obveeus

May 29, 2012, 7:50:01 AM5/29/12

"Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote in message

> "Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>

> HATFIELDS & MCCOYS: This was definitely something with Kevin Coster's
> signature boringness stamped all over it.

Also...

WIGS episode #9 of the JAN series (www.youtube.com/wigs) in which the
protagonist with the 'thick glasses' walks around in a tiny pair of
underwear.

Heads up for tonight's TV:

The one hour season finale of COUGAR TOWN airs tonight on ABC (8:00pm
Eastern).
also,
The one hour season finale of THE L.A. COMPLEX airs tonight on CW (9:00pm
Eastern).
also
The season premiere of TOSH.0 airs tonight on Comedy Central (10:00pm
Eastern).
The season premiere of WORKAHOLICS airs tonight on Comedy Central (10:30pm
Eastern).

Jim T.

May 29, 2012, 10:43:08 AM5/29/12
On Tue, 29 May 2012 06:26:51 -0400, "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

Yeah, too bad. I was kind of looking forward to this. If they couldn't
do both historical accuracy and good entertainment, they should at
least have picked one of them.

Arthur Lipscomb

May 29, 2012, 10:57:44 AM5/29/12
On 5/29/2012 4:03 AM, shawn wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2012 06:26:51 -0400, "Obveeus"<Obv...@aol.com> wrote:
>

>> "Ubiquitous"<web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>

>> HATFIELDS& MCCOYS: This was definitely something with Kevin Coster's
>> signature boringness stamped all over it. I watched all of part #1, but I
>> think I'll stop there as another 4 hours of this just seems like too much.
>> Yes, it is an interesting historical event to look over, but I'm not even
>> sure if this series is trying to portray things accurately. I did a bit of
>> internet reading after part #1 ended and I'm not sure the two clan heads
>> fought together in the war...or that the Romeo&Juliet love story was really
>> more than a scumbag churning his way though lots of women...or that the tale
>> of two families killing each other was really more than a case of one family
>> killing the other one in large numbers.
>>

> I made it through the first hour but had to bail after that.

I didn't even make it that far. I deleted it at the point Costner's
character shot a man in the back.

I watched:

Transformers Prime (recorded) - The last two episodes of the season
"Toxicity" and "Revelations." It was a bit of a let down. They wrapped
up the missing relic storyline (which didn't go anywhere) then abruptly
ended with a fairly week, easy to resolve cliffhanger.

The Simpsons (recorded) - Final two episodes of the season. If I was
forced to pick, I'd say Ned 'N' Edna's Blend was less awful than Lisa
Goes Gaga.

Hemingway & Gellhorn (HBO) - Biopic about Ernest Hemingway (Clive Owen)
and one of his wives (Nicole Kidman) mainly set during the Spanish Civil
War and World War II. I didn't like it. It was too long and the
frequent transitions into grainy black and white footage was annoying.
I'm sure the real Hemingway and Gellhorn were fascinating but the movie
made them look like nothing more than a couple of adulterous jerks.
Even if that's an accurate description of the real life couple they
still could have been portrayed as more interesting than that.

Tora Tora Tora (blu-ray) - Details the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor
from both the American and Japanese perspective. It's almost a comedy
of errors with all the mistakes and blunders on the Japanese and
American's part leading up to December 7th. At one point the military
can't install their radar because they don't have a permit from the park
department. Then once it's installed the men manning it are ordered to
report anything suspicion but reply they can't do that because there's
no phone installed (what about radio?). So they're ordered to drive to
the nearest gas station because there's sure to be a phone there. But
worse was probably the order to rearrange the fighter planes from quick
take off position to all lumped together in one spot to keep an easier
eye on them. When it was pointed out that being so close together one
grenade could take out the entire squadron the general who gave the
order just blew it off because he was more concerned with sabotage from
local spies. It just goes on and on like that culminating with the
Japanese giving their declaration of war (or was it just an ultimatum?)
*after* the attack instead of before like as intended.

I noticed two pilots were introduced earlier and then later drove to
their planes which were parked off site. I think they may have been who
Ben Afflect and Josh Hartnett were based on in Michael Bay's Pearl
Harbor movie.

Malcolm X (blu-ray) - Another movie I liked the first time around but
haven't seen since it's initial release. Excellent (although perhaps a
tad too long) biopic on Malcolm X. I watched with the commentary by
Spike Lee, the Director of Photography, Editor and Costume Designer. It
started a bit slow but turned into a really good commentary; even the
costume designer was giving some interesting details.

In addition to the technical aspects and inside stories, I liked their
pointing out the many cameos I would have otherwise missed. Among the
many cameos were Christopher Plummer who I'm guessing Spike is a fan of
since he pestered him for details about The Sound of Music and later
cast in Inside Man; and the Lee regulars Nicholas Turturro in a blink
and you miss him scene; Giancarlo Esposito as one of the assassins; and
Michael Imperioli, who I didn't realize it but is also a Lee regular and
co-wrote Summer of Sam.

tenworld

May 29, 2012, 11:27:36 AM5/29/12
On May 29, 7:57 am, Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
wrote:

> Tora Tora Tora (blu-ray) - Details the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor
> from both the American and Japanese perspective.  It's almost a comedy
> of errors with all the mistakes and blunders on the Japanese and
> American's part leading up to December 7th.  At one point the military
> can't install their radar because they don't have a permit from the park
> department.  Then once it's installed the men manning it are ordered to
> report anything suspicion but reply they can't do that because there's
> no phone installed (what about radio?).  So they're ordered to drive to
> the nearest gas station because there's sure to be a phone there.  But
> worse was probably the order to rearrange the fighter planes from quick
> take off position to all lumped together in one spot to keep an easier
> eye on them.   When it was pointed out that being so close together one
> grenade could take out the entire squadron the general who gave the
> order just blew it off because he was more concerned with sabotage from
> local spies.  It just goes on and on like that culminating with the
> Japanese giving their declaration of war (or was it just an ultimatum?)
> *after* the attack instead of before like as intended.
>
> I noticed two pilots were introduced earlier and then later drove to
> their planes which were parked off site.  I think they may have been who
> Ben Afflect and Josh Hartnett were based on in Michael Bay's Pearl
> Harbor movie.

loosely in both cases. TTT presents as more accurate historically but
a lot is still interpretation. Once I read Nimitz autobiography about
how he developed the plan to retake the pacific and was supposed to
take over Pearl harbor months sooner but they left him in personnel
(so he could keep evaluating officers) I moved to the side that
believes PH was a setup by Roosevelt to justify entering WWII. But
yes there was a lot of snafus just like every other battle.

Jim T.

May 29, 2012, 11:47:23 AM5/29/12
And another thing. The show began at least a decade into the feud,
with little or no clear explanation of how it started. For a while I
thought I had missed the first episode. There should have been at
least a prologue to get us up to speed.

Mason Barge

May 29, 2012, 11:59:56 AM5/29/12
On Tue, 29 May 2012 07:57:44 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 5/29/2012 4:03 AM, shawn wrote:

>>> HATFIELDS& MCCOYS: This was definitely something with Kevin Coster's
>>> signature boringness stamped all over it. I watched all of part #1, but I
>>> think I'll stop there as another 4 hours of this just seems like too much.
>>> Yes, it is an interesting historical event to look over, but I'm not even
>>> sure if this series is trying to portray things accurately. I did a bit of
>>> internet reading after part #1 ended and I'm not sure the two clan heads
>>> fought together in the war...or that the Romeo&Juliet love story was really
>>> more than a scumbag churning his way though lots of women...or that the tale
>>> of two families killing each other was really more than a case of one family
>>> killing the other one in large numbers.
>>>

>> I made it through the first hour but had to bail after that.
>

>I didn't even make it that far. I deleted it at the point Costner's
>character shot a man in the back.

I didn't make it all the way through the promo trailer.

Ian J. Ball

May 29, 2012, 12:12:55 PM5/29/12
In article <jq22j3$mti$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> What did you watch?

Tipping Point (LMN) - I think who ever does Time Warner's onscreen guide
got this confused with another movie (of the same title?...), as this
one came up with "4 stars" in the guide, and this was definitely a "2
star *Lifetime*" movie (i.e. 2 stars *for a Lifetime movie*!!).
Anyways, the lead of this was Katheryn Winnick, and she's so pretty
that she'll get me to sit through anything. But, honestly, this wasn't
that bad - Winnick plays a recovering schizophrenic who's an MRI tech
before entering Med School. One of her last MRI cases before entering
Med School was a Rich Dude who comes in thinking he has a brain tumor,
but Winnick is convinced his MRI is "clean". Soon enough, Rich Dude ends
up dead "of a brain tumor", and his widow is selling his company for
zillions. Winnick is suspicious, but right around the same time, it
seems like her schizophrenia is coming back - so is she just being
paranoid because of the disease, or is the timing just too coincidental?
(What do ya think?!)
Well, you can guess where this is heading. Anyway, Winnick (strange
accent and all!), and oddly her scruffy boyfriend, made this watchable.
However, the ending is so ridiculous, it's "cartoonable". :/

Degrassi (recorded) - The last 4 episodes of the season.
In the first two, "Hollaback Girl", someone on the writing of
"Degrassi" finally realized that, after *three* years! they still hadn't
bothered to do any backstory on Bianca, and so these episodes attempt to
rectify that - we find out the Bianca has no parents (no explanation as
to why, though), and is raised by a hostile aunt who think Bianca is
nothing more than 'street trash' (and, to be fair to the aunt, that was
true for the first couple of seasons of Bianca's existence). Oh, and
Bianca is still on probation, for reasons that I only vaguely remember
from earlier episodes. Anyway, Drew pressures Bianca to reach out to the
revolting Katie, but it turns out that addict Katie just wants to hang
out with Bianca so she can score some more Oxy. When Bianca realizes
what mess Katie is, she makes a play for Drew, but then backs off when
Katie gets hauled off to rehab, and realizes that Drew is an important
element in Katie's "support" system. So, the takeaway is, like Alex
Nunez before her - Bianca is making a serious effort to "reform" and
improve herself. (There were other subplots in this pair of episodes
that aren't worth rehashing...)
In the finale pairing, "In the Cold of the Night", Holly J (YaY!!)
shows up again, when trouble strikes Fiona's family. Meanwhile, Fiona
successfully seduces Imogen to "play for the other team", while Clare
Edwards (who apparently can't survive without a boyfriend) finally
buries that hatchet with that shrew Alli and decides to make YA play for
crazy Eli.
I will say this - the last 6 episodes of this season were stronger
than the garbage we got in the first episodes of this half-season, so
this season did finish strong. But, overall, I'd say this was a weak,
weak season (both halves) of "Degrassi".

True True Lie (LMN) - This was a mixed bag, some good scenes, and some
bad/ridiculous ones, but this ended very, very strong. In fact, the
appropriately macabre ending is so strong that it's stuck with me. I'd
recommend this one (I won't even synopsize it, in case anyone wants to
see it fresh) - but it stars Jaime King, Annabelle Wallis, and somebody
named Lydia Leonard.
(The most fun part about this was seeing the mostly British cast
(Jaime King excepted) trying to fake American accents...)

I also saw part of "Rags" on NICK, but it's really not worth commenting
on.

And I saw part of the "Hawaii Five-ZERO" rerun, and... ditto.

--
"We're gonna need a lot of therapy." - the character Rachel in "Bunnyman"
(named 1 of the 5 Worst Horror Films of 2011 by 28DaysLaterAnalysis.com!!)

Ian J. Ball

May 29, 2012, 12:33:22 PM5/29/12
On May 29, 8:47 am, Jim T. <x...@y.z> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2012 10:43:08 -0400, Jim T. <x...@y.z> wrote:
You all have convinced me - I'm just going to skip this now.

It sounds like:

1) They should have started this AT THE BEGINNING of the story. And,

2) It should have only run 4 hours, not 6.

Oh well... :/

David Johnston

May 29, 2012, 12:42:45 PM5/29/12
On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 9:27:36 AM UTC-6, tenworld wrote:

> loosely in both cases. TTT presents as more accurate historically but
> a lot is still interpretation. Once I read Nimitz autobiography about
> how he developed the plan to retake the pacific and was supposed to
> take over Pearl harbor months sooner but they left him in personnel
> (so he could keep evaluating officers) I moved to the side that
> believes PH was a setup by Roosevelt to justify entering WWII.

The argument in favour of that is feeble, since a failed Japanese attack on Pearl would have worked just as well, as for that matter would have been the attack on the Phillipines that they both expected and got.

Ubiquitous

May 29, 2012, 4:36:44 PM5/29/12
In article <sjr9s7p69ea0tqehp...@4ax.com>, x@y.z wrote:
>On Tue, 29 May 2012 10:43:08 -0400, Jim T. <x@y.z> wrote:
>>On Tue, 29 May 2012 06:26:51 -0400, "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

>>>HATFIELDS & MCCOYS: This was definitely something with Kevin Coster's
>>>signature boringness stamped all over it. I watched all of part #1, but I
>>>think I'll stop there as another 4 hours of this just seems like too much.
>>>Yes, it is an interesting historical event to look over, but I'm not even
>>>sure if this series is trying to portray things accurately. I did a bit of
>>>internet reading after part #1 ended and I'm not sure the two clan heads
>>>fought together in the war...or that the Romeo&Juliet love story was really
>>>more than a scumbag churning his way though lots of women...or that the tale
>>>of two families killing each other was really more than a case of one family
>>>killing the other one in large numbers.
>>
>>Yeah, too bad. I was kind of looking forward to this. If they couldn't
>>do both historical accuracy and good entertainment, they should at
>>least have picked one of them.

I can't say I was particuarly impressed by the promos.

>And another thing. The show began at least a decade into the feud,
>with little or no clear explanation of how it started. For a while I
>thought I had missed the first episode. There should have been at
>least a prologue to get us up to speed.

If they failed to start at the very begining, what was the point?

tenworld

May 29, 2012, 4:48:32 PM5/29/12
On May 29, 9:42 am, David Johnston <davidjohnston29yahoo...@gmail.com>
wrote:
The premise is that they were not sure what or how effectively the
Japanese would attack and we couldnt simply send everything up against
the planes coming in or that would not have generated the emotional
impact of "day of infamy", in fact could have backfired if we actually
attack them first. Remember that a large part of America was for
isolation on Dec 6. And then there was that strange coincidence that
our carriers, believed even then by Nimitz et al to be our strength,
were not only gone from PH but out of the way of the attacking planes
and too far away to retaliate, and risk losing. (or even that Halsey
was in the know and guessed wrong about where the Japanese fleet was).

David Johnston

May 29, 2012, 5:49:06 PM5/29/12
On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:48:32 PM UTC-6, tenworld wrote:
> On May 29, 9:42 am, David Johnston <davidjohnston29yahoo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 9:27:36 AM UTC-6, tenworld wrote:
> >
> > > loosely in both cases.  TTT presents as more accurate historically but
> > > a lot is still interpretation.  Once I read Nimitz autobiography about
> > > how he developed the plan to retake the pacific and was supposed to
> > > take over Pearl harbor months sooner but they left him in personnel
> > > (so he could keep evaluating officers) I moved to the side that
> > > believes PH was a setup by Roosevelt to justify entering WWII.
> >
> > The argument in favour of that is feeble, since a failed Japanese attack on Pearl would have worked just as well, as for that matter would have been the attack on the Phillipines that they both expected and got.
>
> The premise is that they were not sure what or how effectively the
> Japanese would attack and we couldnt simply send everything up against
> the planes coming in or that would not have generated the emotional
> impact of "day of infamy", in fact could have backfired if we actually
> attack them first.

It doesn't make any sense. If they knew when and where the Japanese were going to attack they would have also known that the Japanese were going to be invading the Phillipines. And while "Japanese Sneak Attack On Pearl Foiled" might not have been _quite_ so shocking...it would have been more than enough to get the United States into the war. In fact it would have made things a bit easier for Roosevelt since he wanted a Europe first strategy.

Hunter

May 30, 2012, 1:02:48 AM5/30/12
On Tue, 29 May 2012 06:26:51 -0400, "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

>"Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>

>HATFIELDS & MCCOYS: This was definitely something with Kevin Coster's
>signature boringness stamped all over it. I watched all of part #1, but I
>think I'll stop there as another 4 hours of this just seems like too much.
>Yes, it is an interesting historical event to look over, but I'm not even
>sure if this series is trying to portray things accurately. I did a bit of
>internet reading after part #1 ended and I'm not sure the two clan heads
>fought together in the war...
-----
They did because they must as the heads of their families. It would be
a disgrace for their sons and relations to fight and not them.

> ....or that the Romeo&Juliet love story was really
>more than a scumbag churning his way though lots of women...
------
The love story was true. Eventually as shown in Part 2 Johnse married
Nancy McCoy.

> ...or that the tale
>of two families killing each other was really more than a case of one family
>killing the other one in large numbers.
-------
More McCoys and kin were killed than Hatfieds and kin but it wasn't a
once sided affair:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatfields_%26_McCoys#Deaths

Eight McCoys or relations and Five Hatfieds or relations were killed.

------>Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

William December Starr

May 30, 2012, 12:16:05 AM5/30/12
In article <nma9s7prt69rq8hjb...@4ax.com>,
shawn <nanof...@gNOTmail.com> said:

> I also watched the last few episodes of Great British Menu Wales
> where highly rated chefs from various regions in the UK compete
> head to head to get their dishes into the feast for the Olympians.

Who would probably prefer a platter full of hamburgers.

-- wds

Obveeus

May 30, 2012, 7:05:58 AM5/30/12

"Hunter (Hunter)" <buffh...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 May 2012 06:26:51 -0400, "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:
>

>>"Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>

>>HATFIELDS & MCCOYS: This was definitely something with Kevin Coster's
>>signature boringness stamped all over it. I watched all of part #1, but I
>>think I'll stop there as another 4 hours of this just seems like too much.
>>Yes, it is an interesting historical event to look over, but I'm not even
>>sure if this series is trying to portray things accurately. I did a bit
>>of
>>internet reading after part #1 ended and I'm not sure the two clan heads
>>fought together in the war...
> -----
> They did because they must as the heads of their families. It would be
> a disgrace for their sons and relations to fight and not them.

You apparently didn't understand what was said, but you bring up an even
bigger point: These two clan heads 'fought' for decades and lots of their
sons and relations died for 'their fight'. If either of these guys was a
real man, they could have simply squared off in a duel against each other
and left the family out of it.

>> ....or that the Romeo&Juliet love story was really
>>more than a scumbag churning his way though lots of women...
> ------
> The love story was true. Eventually as shown in Part 2 Johnse married
> Nancy McCoy.

The 'love story' is likely a complete lie. The guy knocked up a bunch of
women, but pretending that he was in love with any of them is creative
license.

>> ...or that the tale
>>of two families killing each other was really more than a case of one
>>family
>>killing the other one in large numbers.
> -------
> More McCoys and kin were killed than Hatfieds and kin but it wasn't a
> once sided affair:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatfields_%26_McCoys#Deaths
>
> Eight McCoys or relations and Five Hatfieds or relations were killed.

Not a very good source to use as a count of the two-sidedness of the feud as
the list of dead there includes a number of the 'Hatfield' deaths that are
not done by McCoy folks.

anim8rFSK

May 30, 2012, 7:52:37 AM5/30/12
In article
<ijball-NO_SPAM-E88...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Ian J. Ball" <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> In article <jq22j3$mti$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
> > What did you watch?
>
> Tipping Point (LMN) - I think who ever does Time Warner's onscreen guide
> got this confused with another movie (of the same title?...), as this
> one came up with "4 stars" in the guide, and this was definitely a "2
> star *Lifetime*" movie (i.e. 2 stars *for a Lifetime movie*!!).
> Anyways, the lead of this was Katheryn Winnick, and she's so pretty
> that she'll get me to sit through anything. But, honestly, this wasn't
> that bad - Winnick plays a recovering schizophrenic who's an MRI tech
> before entering Med School. One of her last MRI cases before entering
> Med School was a Rich Dude who comes in thinking he has a brain tumor,
> but Winnick is convinced his MRI is "clean". Soon enough, Rich Dude ends
> up dead "of a brain tumor", and his widow is selling his company for
> zillions. Winnick is suspicious, but right around the same time, it
> seems like her schizophrenia is coming back - so is she just being
> paranoid because of the disease, or is the timing just too coincidental?
> (What do ya think?!)
> Well, you can guess where this is heading. Anyway, Winnick (strange
> accent and all!), and oddly her scruffy boyfriend, made this watchable.
> However, the ending is so ridiculous, it's "cartoonable". :/

I watched two "Tainted Tuesday" crapfests, or at least parts of them.
The first had Alec Baldwin pretty much playing himself as he and his
daughter kill their wife/mother after she commits suicide for no other
reason than to involve the police when they could have just, you know,
found her in the morning and called 911 then. I turned it off or fell
asleep before the end.

The second one had Cheryl Ladd as the widowed whore with the heart of
gold and Bess Armstrong as the best argument for lobotomy in decades. I
stayed put mostly because of a painfully young Lindy Booth. The big
finish? Abfuckingsolutely nothing happened. Nothing. Whatsoever. It
just stops.

--
NETFLIX is befouling the ends of shows with text & graphics and shrinkage

~consul

May 30, 2012, 6:21:36 PM5/30/12
'tis on this 5/29/2012 8:47 AM, wrote Jim T. thus to say:
> On Tue, 29 May 2012 10:43:08 -0400, Jim T.<x@y.z> wrote:
>>> HATFIELDS& MCCOYS: This was definitely something with Kevin Coster's
>> Yeah, too bad. I was kind of looking forward to this. If they couldn't
>> do both historical accuracy and good entertainment, they should at
>> least have picked one of them.
> And another thing. The show began at least a decade into the feud,
> with little or no clear explanation of how it started. For a while I
> thought I had missed the first episode. There should have been at
> least a prologue to get us up to speed.

They did? I thought that they were pretty chummy during the war, but it was when Hatfield deserted the army and went home, while McCoy got caught and in jail, that built up the emnity. And then there were a series of assholes that the rest of the family had to back up, as well as pretty good assumption/belief that Hatfield took advantage of the McCoys family while the dad was in jail.
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk. For here, at the end of all things, we shall do what needs to be done."
--till next time, consul -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

Hunter

Jun 2, 2012, 4:21:53 PM6/2/12
----
There was a clear explaination. Randall McCoy resented Devil Anse
Hatfield, deserting the Confederacy, That was the seed that was
planted.

That Jim Vance, Devil's uncle, killed Harmond McCoy because Harmond
fought for the Union.

Then the case of the pig supposedly being stolen from Randall McCoy by
Floyd Hatfield and Bill Staanton, a Hatfield relative, being killed.

All those things got it going but the first two were the sparks.

Hunter

Jun 2, 2012, 7:24:08 PM6/2/12
On Tue, 29 May 2012 16:36:44 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
wrote:
-----
They did. There is no evidene of a feud before or during the Civil
War.

Hunter

Jun 2, 2012, 11:01:44 PM6/2/12
On Wed, 30 May 2012 15:21:36 -0700, ~consul
<con...@dolphinsTAKEAWAY-cove.com> wrote:

>'tis on this 5/29/2012 8:47 AM, wrote Jim T. thus to say:
>>> Yeah, too bad. I was kind of looking forward to this. If they couldn't
>>> do both historical accuracy and good entertainment, they should at
>>> least have picked one of them.
>> And another thing. The show began at least a decade into the feud,
>> with little or no clear explanation of how it started. For a while I
>> thought I had missed the first episode. There should have been at
>> least a prologue to get us up to speed.
>
>They did? I thought that they were pretty chummy during the war, but it was when Hatfield deserted the army and went home, while McCoy got caught and in jail, that built up the emnity. And then there were a series of assholes that the rest of the family had to back up, as well as pretty good assumption/belief that Hatfield took advantage of the McCoys family while the dad was in jail.
-----
As the docudrama would have it they were friends, at least there
weren't a feud at the time. However Randall McCoy was not put in jail
for desertion. He was caught by the Union as a prisoner of war and
suffered through the Union POW camp that mistreated its captives
brutally similar to the notorious Andersonville Prison Camp. Randall's
resentment that he stuck with "The Cause" until the end and every one
of the soldiers in his unit died while Devil deserted and lived is
what ended the friendship. The later killing of Randall's brother
Harmond by James Vance, Devils uncle is what started it.

Hunter

Jun 3, 2012, 10:47:07 PM6/3/12
On Wed, 30 May 2012 07:05:58 -0400, "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

>"Hunter (Hunter)" <buffh...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>>>HATFIELDS & MCCOYS: This was definitely something with Kevin Coster's
>>>signature boringness stamped all over it. I watched all of part #1, but I
>>>think I'll stop there as another 4 hours of this just seems like too much.
>>>Yes, it is an interesting historical event to look over, but I'm not even
>>>sure if this series is trying to portray things accurately. I did a bit
>>>of
>>>internet reading after part #1 ended and I'm not sure the two clan heads
>>>fought together in the war...
>> -----
>> They did because they must as the heads of their families. It would be
>> a disgrace for their sons and relations to fight and not them.
>
>You apparently didn't understand what was said, but you bring up an even
>bigger point: These two clan heads 'fought' for decades and lots of their
>sons and relations died for 'their fight'. If either of these guys was a
>real man, they could have simply squared off in a duel against each other
>and left the family out of it.
-----
Oh 'm sorry I misinterpreted. From most sources some say they did but
it is not certain. In any event the Feud started After the Civil War
not before.

There is no hint from any source that it happened before the war so it
is quite possible they were good friends and their families were good
friends. If there is a source primary or secondary that says otherwise
I haven't seen it, at least not yet.

As for why they don't settle it with a duel, families get involved. If
something was done to a father the sons avenged it; the brother
avengeces it is the same in many places like say in Sicilly, Albania,
Greece, Corsica; anyplace there are blood feuds the family gets
involved out of obligation if anything. It is stupid to be sure, but
that's the way it is..

>>> ....or that the Romeo&Juliet love story was really
>>>more than a scumbag churning his way though lots of women...
>> ------
>> The love story was true. Eventually as shown in Part 2 Johnse married
>> Nancy McCoy.
>
>The 'love story' is likely a complete lie. The guy knocked up a bunch of
>women, but pretending that he was in love with any of them is creative
>license.
------
Why would you assume it was a lie? What makes you say that?

>>> ...or that the tale
>>>of two families killing each other was really more than a case of one
>>>family
>>>killing the other one in large numbers.
>> -------
>> More McCoys and kin were killed than Hatfieds and kin but it wasn't a
>> once sided affair:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatfields_%26_McCoys#Deaths
>>
>> Eight McCoys or relations and Five Hatfieds or relations were killed.
>
>Not a very good source to use as a count of the two-sidedness of the feud as
>the list of dead there includes a number of the 'Hatfield' deaths that are
>not done by McCoy folks.
-----
They were relations to both families that didn't neccessaarily have
the same last name. For instance James Vance who killed Harmond McCoy
was Devil Anse Hatfield's uncle. Perry Cline was Randall McCoy's
cousin. Bob Levinger was Devil Anse's great Nephew related to the
Hatfields, so just because they may have a different last name that
doesn't mean that they aren't related biologically.

Other relatives were related by marriage and both families hired
people for possies and psudeo law enforcement like the former Pinketon
detective Frank Phillips who killed Bob Levinger as a Pinkerton
detective was later in the employ of the McCoys to hunt Hatfields

In a way they were like two Mafia families but it wasn't based on some
basterdized motive of "business" but pure hate and revenge.

~consul

Jun 4, 2012, 5:54:22 PM6/4/12
'tis on this 6/2/2012 8:01 PM, wrote Hunter (Hunter) thus to say:
> On Wed, 30 May 2012 15:21:36 -0700, ~consul
>> 'tis on this 5/29/2012 8:47 AM, wrote Jim T. thus to say:
>>> And another thing. The show began at least a decade into the feud,
>>> with little or no clear explanation of how it started. For a while I
>>> thought I had missed the first episode. There should have been at
>>> least a prologue to get us up to speed.
>> They did? I thought that they were pretty chummy during the war, but it was when Hatfield deserted the army and went home, while McCoy got caught and in jail, that built up the emnity. And then there were a series of assholes that the rest of the family had to back up, as well as pretty good assumption/belief that Hatfield took advantage of the McCoys family while the dad was in jail.
> -----
> As the docudrama would have it they were friends, at least there
> weren't a feud at the time. However Randall McCoy was not put in jail
> for desertion. He was caught by the Union as a prisoner of war and

I didn't say McCoy was in jail for desertion. I said Hatfield was a deserter. And Mccoy was caught and in jail. Though yes, caught and in jail for being a POW, to be specific.