Joseph Campanella Dead at 93

Tony Calguire

May 17, 2018, 2:46:26 PM5/17/18
Veteran Character Actor Joseph Campanella Dies at 93
By Kirsten Chuba

http://variety.com/2018/film/obituaries-people-news/joseph-campanella-dead-
dies-1202812936/

Joseph Campanella, a character actor who appeared in more than 200 TV and
film roles over his 50-year career, died at his Sherman Oaks, Calif., home on
Wednesday, his daughter-in-law told Variety. He was 93.

Campanella appeared across five seasons of late ’60s and early ’70s crime
drama “Mannix,” for which he earned a supporting actor Emmy nomination in
1968, and six seasons of ’70s sitcom “One Day at a Time.” He had a number of
other co-starring roles on the small screen, including ’60s hospital drama
“The Doctors and the Nurses,” the ’70s medical series “Marcus Welby, M.D.,”
and ’80s primetime soap story “The Colbys.” In more recent years, the actor
held a recurring role on daytime soap opera “The Bold and the Beautiful” from
1996 to 2005 and worked on “The Practice” and “That’s Life.”

Adam H. Kerman

May 17, 2018, 3:08:25 PM5/17/18
Tony Calguire <tc...@yahoo.invalid> wrote:

>Veteran Character Actor Joseph Campanella Dies at 93
>By Kirsten Chuba

>http://variety.com/2018/film/obituaries-people-news/joseph-campanella-dead-dies-1202812936/

>Joseph Campanella, a character actor who appeared in more than 200 TV and
>film roles over his 50-year career, died at his Sherman Oaks, Calif., home on
>Wednesday, his daughter-in-law told Variety. He was 93.

Really good actor, ubiquitous on '70s tv.

anim8rfsk

May 17, 2018, 5:11:21 PM5/17/18
In article <pdkilu$kc3$1...@dont-email.me>,
Tony Calguire <tc...@yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Veteran Character Actor Joseph Campanella Dies at 93
> By Kirsten Chuba
>
> http://variety.com/2018/film/obituaries-people-news/joseph-campanella-dead-
> dies-1202812936/
>

> Joseph Campanella, a character actor who appeared in more than 200 TV and
> film roles over his 50-year career, died at his Sherman Oaks, Calif., home on
> Wednesday, his daughter-in-law told Variety. He was 93.
>
> Campanella appeared across five seasons of late ’60s and early ’70s crime
> drama “Mannix,” for which he earned a supporting actor Emmy nomination in
> 1968

I ... that's playing pretty fast and loose with the fact. He's in all
of season one, and then makes a one shot guest appearance as a different
character in season six.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

May 17, 2018, 6:28:16 PM5/17/18
I used to confuse him with Jerry Orbach.

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

May 17, 2018, 6:31:15 PM5/17/18
On Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 5:11:21 PM UTC-4, anim8rfsk wrote:

> I ... that's playing pretty fast and loose with the fact. He's in all
> of season one, and then makes a one shot guest appearance as a different
> character in season six.

Paramount did that a lot with guest actors on its series. Robert
Reed usually appeared as a police Lt. on Mannix, but sometimes
played another character. Actors rotated among Paramount's TV shows
of the era--M/I, Mannix, Star Trek, etc. Probably actresses, too.

The Brady Bunch home interior, repainted, appeared on Mannix
and M/I.

RichA

May 17, 2018, 7:21:24 PM5/17/18
He did a Canadian technology show in the late 1970's or early 80's with a blonde Swede named Tiu Leek. I remember one ep. where they said ground-up rubber tires mixed with asphalt was going to revolutionize the quality of roads. Yeah, it never happened.

martinjsxx

May 17, 2018, 8:13:25 PM5/17/18
Similar head shape.

Michael OConnor

May 17, 2018, 8:31:58 PM5/17/18

> >Joseph Campanella, a character actor who appeared in more than 200 TV and
> >film roles over his 50-year career, died at his Sherman Oaks, Calif., home on
> >Wednesday, his daughter-in-law told Variety. He was 93.
>
> Really good actor, ubiquitous on '70s tv.

Joseph Campanella was another one of those perpetual 1970's Special Guest Stars who would migrate from cop/detective show to cop/detective show every week, such as Leslie Nielsen, John Vernon, James Olson, William Windom, and a dozen or so other actors. Most of them are gone now, I know James Olson is still around. One week they would be on McCloud, the next week Ironside, then Barnaby Jones, and they never had their own series (with few exceptions, but their shows rarely lasted for very long) but they would seemingly be guest starring on some TV show just about every week, and for that reason, they were very well known without having their own series.

Nyssa

May 18, 2018, 10:26:55 AM5/18/18
William Windom was an exception to that. He was in a *very*
successful series, "The Farmer's Daughter" as the congressman
who hired Inger Stevens's character as his household's
nanny.

The series set a then-record for highest audience for the
episode when the two characters *finally* married after
teasing the viewers with the growing romance over several
seasons.

Nyssa, who was one of the millions who both watched the
show and watch the wedding episode

A Friend

May 18, 2018, 10:45:03 AM5/18/18
In article <pdmnrb$49p$1...@dont-email.me>, Nyssa
The honeymoon suite boasted a color TV. Why I remember that detail
after more than fifty years, I don't know.

William Windom also starred in the Thurber-esque MY WORLD AND WELCOME
TO IT, which didn't last long but is still very well thought of.
Windom later toured in a one-man show in which he played James Thurber.
He hoped to bring it to Broadway, but that never happened.

In his old age, Window grew fat and a bit disheveled. I was talking
about that with a friend around the time Windom died. "It's a shame,"
I said, thinking about him in THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER. "He went from
Kennedy look-alike -- "

" -- to Kennedy look-alike," she said.

Michael OConnor

May 18, 2018, 1:55:30 PM5/18/18
Windom was known for those series and he was also known for the Star Trek episode, just like Leslie Nielsen was known for "Forbidden Planet" back in the 50's, but by the 70's when the Quinn Martin series were in full bloom, they were still recognizable faces and had become nomadic TV stars.

I always liked how the short lived "Police Squad" TV series which starred Leslie Nielsen (who was a special guest star in a lot of QM shows) was a spoof of the opening of the Quinn Martin cop shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm_t3g4RhpY

I think they got the same guy who did the voiceovers for the openings of the Quinn Martin shows to do the opening of Police Squad, which made it even funnier.

Nyssa

May 18, 2018, 5:41:40 PM5/18/18
Good one!

I remember the Thurber show and watched it when it was
on.

I mentioned "Farmer's Daughter" since that and his Star
Trek guest star performance of the doomed Decker were
probably the two people would be most likely to remember.

Nyssa, who thought the Thurber show probably didn't
have enough belly laughs for the average viewer since the
comedy was much more subtle