Google グループは Usenet の新規の投稿と購読のサポートを終了しました。過去のコンテンツは引き続き閲覧できます。

Ricky Gervais not expecting to be asked to host again

閲覧: 1 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

David

未読、
2011/01/17 10:59:462011/01/17
To:
http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/ricky-gervais-for-3-hours-every-year-hollywood-is-scared-to-death-of-me/

Ricky Gervais Assesses 2nd Globes Gig: "For Three Hours Every Year,
Hollywood Is Scared To Death Of Me. It's Great."
By THE DEADLINE TEAM

Deadline freelancer Ray Richmond ran into Ricky Gervais at the HBO
after-party Sunday night. And the Golden Globes host appeared more
than pleased with his performance at what was the meanest awards show
ever. Asked if he had fun carving up Hollywood, Gervais responded: "Oh
absolutely. For three hours every year, Hollywood is scared to death
of me. It's great." No, he doesn't expect to be asked back to host for
a 3rd straight time next year. But he also didn't intend to go out in
a blaze of controversy. "No, it's really nothing like that. I just did
what I do." Interestingly, Gervais said he didn't come in for
criticism backstage for his mean-spirited jokes during the show. "I
guess no one's had a chance yet. Maybe I will now." When Deadline bid
Gervais goodbye and "good luck," the comedian replied, "Thanks. I hope
I don't need it."

You will, Ricky. Trust us.

thinbluemime

未読、
2011/01/17 11:18:432011/01/17

Ricky Gervais's disappearing act sparks Golden Globes conspiracy theories
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/jan/17/ricky-gervais-golden-globes-host

Golden Globes: quotes of the night
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/gallery/2011/jan/17/golden-globes-awards-and-prizes#/?picture=370682785&index=5

'Talking of the walking dead, congratulations to Hugh Hefner, who is
getting married at age 84 to 24-year-old beauty Crystal Harris. When asked
why she was marrying him, she said, "He lied about his age. I thought he
was 94." Calm down. Just don't look at it when you touch it.' Ricky Gervais

--
http://www.lostdude.com

RichA

未読、
2011/01/17 11:12:472011/01/17
To:
On Jan 17, 10:59 am, David <dimla...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/ricky-gervais-for-3-hours-every-year-...

> Ricky Gervais Assesses 2nd Globes Gig: "For Three Hours Every Year,
> Hollywood Is Scared To Death Of Me. It's Great."
> By THE DEADLINE TEAM
>
> Deadline freelancer Ray Richmond ran into Ricky Gervais at the HBO
> after-party Sunday night. And the Golden Globes host appeared more
> than pleased with his performance at what was the meanest awards show
> ever.

Awwww, did he offend the kooks (scientologists) and the drug addicts?
Too bad...

tdciago

未読、
2011/01/17 12:05:352011/01/17
To:
On Jan 17, 10:59 am, David <dimla...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> No, he doesn't expect to be asked back to host for
> a 3rd straight time next year.

No kidding. I thought he was great last year, and I was looking
forward to him this year. But not only was he mean-spirited; for the
most part, he simply wasn't funny. I thought he made some poor
choices for the targets of his jokes. The Heather Mills crack, for
instance, fell completely flat with an American audience. I actually
had to think for a few seconds to remember who she was. It just
wasn't timely. I thought the presentations that worked well, from a
comedy standpoint, were Tina Fey and Steve Carell, and Robert Downey,
Jr.

trotsky

未読、
2011/01/17 12:20:022011/01/17

I'm just curious how Gervais gets labelled an asshole for a schtick made
popular by Don Rickles 40 or 50 years ago.

tdciago

未読、
2011/01/17 12:29:202011/01/17
To:
On Jan 17, 12:20 pm, trotsky <gmsi...@email.com> wrote:
> I'm just curious how Gervais gets labelled an asshole for a schtick made
> popular by Don Rickles 40 or 50 years ago.

I don't have a problem with insult comedy done well. The big sin is
not being funny. You also have to choose your targets well to fit
your audience. He came out and insulted members of the audience right
off the bat, and somehow crossed that very fine line between good-
natured roasting and downright meanness. Other stuff just felt old.

thinbluemime

未読、
2011/01/17 12:39:252011/01/17

Probably because Don Rickles was an asshole, and he wasn't doing an award
show when he roasted celebrities.

--
http://www.lostdude.com

trotsky

未読、
2011/01/17 14:00:552011/01/17

So when you mention "roasting" you're saying that he's mean compared to
the likes of Jeffrey Ross or Lisa Lampanelli? But you do have me
curious: can you post me one comment from last year that you consider
"funny"?

trotsky

未読、
2011/01/17 14:03:242011/01/17

Would psilocybin mushrooms help to understand that comment?

thinbluemime

未読、
2011/01/17 14:27:322011/01/17

Rickles roasting were done with the roasting intended. That was the
purpose when Rickles was invited to insult a celebrity. It was expected.
It was invited. It was the purpose.

An award ceremony like the Golden Globes is set up to reward and highlight
the accomplishments and talent of those shows presented. The Golden Globes
is not an award show to bash and embarrass the actors and actresses. Light
jabs of a humorous nature are fun and expected. The mean spirited nature
of Gervais commentary will guarantee he will not return and has alienated
him from the money and resources that feed the family of Gervais.

I am not a big fan of much of Hollywood, but come on, common sense and
good taste in a public forum, telecast world wide, is expected. Gervais
may be an atheist, but I bet he is asking forgiveness from some Hollywood
god soon.

--
http://www.lostdude.com

shawn

未読、
2011/01/17 14:24:412011/01/17

I thought his comments were pretty straight forward. Don Rickles was
known for needling people so everyone knew what to expect with him
which is the case for Rick Gervais. Also Rickles was normally doing
his bit at a roast or during one of his shows. At an award show a
small bit of biting humor is okay but it's mostly intended to be a
celebration of the actors and not time to try and tear them down.

Ricky Gervais seems to have crossed the line at some point. It
happens. I'm sure he'll be hosting some show again within the next few
years and perhaps this experience will have him tone down the mean
side of his humor next time. Or maybe it won't...

Obveeus

未読、
2011/01/17 14:38:402011/01/17

"tdciago" <tdc...@aol.com> wrote:

>No kidding. I thought he was great last year, and I was looking
>forward to him this year. But not only was he mean-spirited; for the
>most part, he simply wasn't funny.

I don't remember all the way back to last year, but he certainly wasn't
funny this year. He made a lousy host and should not be given any hosting
TV duty again.

Barry Margolin

未読、
2011/01/17 14:45:492011/01/17
To:
In article
<bc1b9998-1615-4d39...@29g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
tdciago <tdc...@aol.com> wrote:

As I mentioned in the other thread, I thought the Robert Downey, Jr.
comment was outdated, too.

But the one about Steve Carell came off well. Maybe it helped that it
was personal to him.

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Barry Margolin

未読、
2011/01/17 15:20:202011/01/17
To:
In article <oi59j6t2qdaec2s30...@4ax.com>,
shawn <nanof...@gmail.com> wrote:

Indeed, context is very important. Almost everything he said would fit
into the monologue of a late night talk show, and no one would bat an
eye. And other awards show hosts have made jokes at the nominees'
expenses, but they're generally good-natured ribbing.

I still enjoyed his schtick, but I can understand why the audience there
was put off. It was a bit more crass than they're used to. When
Letterman or Leno makes a joke about you, the camera doesn't suddenly
pan over to show your reaction or that of your peers.

tdciago

未読、
2011/01/17 15:28:302011/01/17
To:
On Jan 17, 2:00 pm, trotsky <gmsi...@email.com> wrote:
> So when you mention "roasting" you're saying that he's mean compared to
> the likes of Jeffrey Ross or Lisa Lampanelli?

I'm not familiar enough with either of them to say. I've only heard
random clips from both of them.

> But you do have me
> curious: can you post me one comment from last year that you consider
> "funny"?

Do you think I keep transcripts of the Golden Globe ceremonies? The
impression I was left with last year is that Gervais was funny, so I
looked forward to him hosting this year. I assume that was also the
consensus of the people responsible for hiring the host, since they
brought him back again this year. It looks like they won't be doing
the same next year.

tdciago

未読、
2011/01/17 15:32:242011/01/17
To:
On Jan 17, 2:45 pm, Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> As I mentioned in the other thread, I thought the Robert Downey, Jr.
> comment was outdated, too.
>
> But the one about Steve Carell came off well.  Maybe it helped that it
> was personal to him.

Sorry for the confusion, but I meant that Carell (and Fey) and Downey,
Jr. were *themselves* funny as presenters. I wasn't referring to
Gervais' jokes *about* them.

Patricia Martin Steward

未読、
2011/01/17 15:44:292011/01/17
To:
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 09:05:35 -0800 (PST), tdciago <tdc...@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Jan 17, 10:59�am, David <dimla...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> No, he doesn't expect to be asked back to host for
>> a 3rd straight time next year.
>
>No kidding. I thought he was great last year, and I was looking
>forward to him this year. But not only was he mean-spirited; for the
>most part, he simply wasn't funny.

I disagree. He pushed the envelope, for sure, but I laughed out loud
at his sheer audacity several times.

I'm guessing he'll see how far he can go until he DOESN'T get asked
back.

--
We are becoming a country that believes the rich have earned their money but the well educated have not
earned their intellectual superiority. This leads to a nation that idolizes Kardashians.

tdciago

未読、
2011/01/17 16:00:162011/01/17
To:
On Jan 17, 3:44 pm, Patricia Martin Steward <pats...@noteranews.com>
wrote:

> I'm guessing he'll see how far he can go until he DOESN'T get asked
> back.

I'm pretty sure he just found out.

trotsky

未読、
2011/01/17 16:04:132011/01/17
To:
On 1/17/11 2:28 PM, tdciago wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2:00 pm, trotsky<gmsi...@email.com> wrote:
>> So when you mention "roasting" you're saying that he's mean compared to
>> the likes of Jeffrey Ross or Lisa Lampanelli?
>
> I'm not familiar enough with either of them to say. I've only heard
> random clips from both of them.

Have you seen any of this "roasting" that you're talking about at all?

>> But you do have me
>> curious: can you post me one comment from last year that you consider
>> "funny"?
>
> Do you think I keep transcripts of the Golden Globe ceremonies? The
> impression I was left with last year is that Gervais was funny, so I
> looked forward to him hosting this year. I assume that was also the
> consensus of the people responsible for hiring the host, since they
> brought him back again this year. It looks like they won't be doing
> the same next year.

Yes, "not Ricky Gervais" sounds like an excellent choice for a host.
Good night to get caught up on sleep.

tdciago

未読、
2011/01/17 16:17:402011/01/17
To:
On Jan 17, 4:04 pm, trotsky <gmsi...@email.com> wrote:
> Have you seen any of this "roasting" that you're talking about at all?

Do you think roasting was just invented in the era of Jeffrey Ross and
Lisa Lampanelli?

This event wasn't meant to be a roast anyway, though that's what Ricky
Gervais attempted to make it. Unsuccessfully.

trotsky

未読、
2011/01/17 17:00:032011/01/17

No, you pigeonholed Don Rickles when you claimed that his schtick was
just for "roasting" people. As stated previously, I don't do
hallucinogenic drugs so don't expect me to follow your train of thought.

Patricia Martin Steward

未読、
2011/01/17 18:23:152011/01/17
To:
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 13:00:16 -0800 (PST), tdciago <tdc...@aol.com>
wrote:

And if so, fine. But what I'm hearing in a lot of the posts about the
show is that people have forgotten that the Golden Globes has a long,
treasured history of being wacky and much more laid back than, dare I
say it, legitimate awards shows.

Fer cryin' out loud, they all sit around getting high on Godiva
chocolates and Moet, so you can expect some weird stuff to happen.

Outside of the scripted weird stuff, that is.

RichA

未読、
2011/01/17 20:41:322011/01/17
To:
On Jan 17, 12:20 pm, trotsky <gmsi...@email.com> wrote:

Because Rickles had the good sense to aim his barbs at races, instead
of retarded scientologists and drug-addicts.

tdciago

未読、
2011/01/17 21:22:232011/01/17
To:
On Jan 17, 5:00 pm, trotsky <gmsi...@email.com> wrote:
> No, you pigeonholed Don Rickles when you claimed that his schtick was
> just for "roasting" people.  As stated previously, I don't do
> hallucinogenic drugs so don't expect me to follow your train of thought.

You have me confused with thinbluemime. I never mentioned Don
Rickles.

thinbluemime

未読、
2011/01/17 21:45:402011/01/17

Methinks he protests too loudly about herbs, LOL

--
http://www.lostdude.com

trotsky

未読、
2011/01/18 7:24:362011/01/18

This is why I love Usenet: make an intelligent, valid point, and then
watch a calvacade of wastoids babbling like brooks. Kudos, Rich! Drug
addicts couldn't even keep up with being this nonsensical.

trotsky

未読、
2011/01/18 7:25:282011/01/18

Dude, what kind of drugs are you on?

trotsky

未読、
2011/01/18 7:31:462011/01/18
To:
On 1/17/11 8:45 PM, thinbluemime wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:22:23 -0500, tdciago <tdc...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 17, 5:00 pm, trotsky <gmsi...@email.com> wrote:
>>> No, you pigeonholed Don Rickles when you claimed that his schtick was
>>> just for "roasting" people. As stated previously, I don't do
>>> hallucinogenic drugs so don't expect me to follow your train of thought.
>>
>> You have me confused with thinbluemime. I never mentioned Don
>> Rickles.
>
> Methinks

Bullshit.

tdciago

未読、
2011/01/18 8:50:082011/01/18
To:
On Jan 18, 7:25 am, trotsky <gmsi...@email.com> wrote:
> Dude, what kind of drugs are you on?

a. Not a dude.
b. Learn to distinguish between screen names.

shoofy

未読、
2011/01/18 19:06:352011/01/18
To:
On Jan 17, 12:39 pm, thinbluemime <thinbluem...@geemail.com> wrote:
What a dope you are.

Steve Newport

未読、
2011/01/18 21:13:122011/01/18
To:
Don Rickles was never very funny. There was such predictability and lack
of edge to his act. I thought he had greater talent as an actor that
wasn't used enough.

Gervais pushed the envelope last year and seemed to want top himself. He
did cross the line, but many over reacted. I found Downey, Jr. annoying
all evening in every possible way.

trotsky

未読、
2011/01/19 8:33:522011/01/19

He came off sounding like a whiner.

lione...@yahoo.com

未読、
2011/01/19 8:38:112011/01/19
To:
On Jan 17, 5:05 pm, tdciago <tdci...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 10:59 am, David <dimla...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > No, he doesn't expect to be asked back to host for
> > a 3rd straight time next year.
>
> No kidding.  I thought he was great last year, and I was looking
> forward to him this year.  But not only was he mean-spirited; for the
> most part, he simply wasn't funny.  I thought he made some poor
> choices for the targets of his jokes. The Heather Mills crack, for
> instance, fell completely flat with an American audience.  I actually
> had to think for a few seconds to remember who she was.  It just
> wasn't timely.  I thought the presentations that worked well, from a
> comedy standpoint, were Tina Fey and Steve Carell, and Robert Downey,
> Jr.

Really? His monologue was great. I wished he had done the bit with
the Hitler uniform.

lione...@yahoo.com

未読、
2011/01/19 8:39:532011/01/19
To:
On Jan 17, 5:29 pm, tdciago <tdci...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 12:20 pm, trotsky <gmsi...@email.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm just curious how Gervais gets labelled an asshole for a schtick made
> > popular by Don Rickles 40 or 50 years ago.
>
> I don't have a problem with insult comedy done well.  The big sin is
> not being funny.  You also have to choose your targets well to fit
> your audience.  He came out and insulted members of the audience right
> off the bat, and somehow crossed that very fine line between good-
> natured roasting and downright meanness.  Other stuff just felt old.

Oh, come on. The jokes about the Tourist and the Scientologist crack
were funny. The Golden Globes are a joke anyway.

Dano

未読、
2011/01/19 11:01:372011/01/19

<lione...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Yet apparently you watched...and cared enough to comment. What exactly are
we to think of you then? Desperately in need of a life?

Humor is always extremely subjective. I never particularly liked Rickle's
"brand" at all. But that's just me. He's a legend and had a great career
obviously. But I don't recall him ever being as personally "mean" as Ricky
was this night. Of course, given his attitude from the start towards doing
this gig, the PTB were idiots to invite him again in the first place. So I
guess they deserve what they get.

メッセージは削除されました

lione...@yahoo.com

未読、
2011/01/20 7:47:142011/01/20
To:
On Jan 19, 4:01 pm, "Dano" <janeandd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> <lionelhu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Actually I watched RG's clips on Youtube.

Steve Newport

未読、
2011/01/22 1:29:142011/01/22
From: gms...@email.com (trotsky)
<<<SN: Gervais pushed the envelope last year and seemed to want top

himself. He did cross the line, but many over reacted. I found Downey,
Jr. annoying all evening in every possible way.>>>
-------------------------------------
He came off sounding like a whiner.
--------------------------------------
SN: So did Hanks and Allen.

Steve Newport

未読、
2011/01/22 1:31:152011/01/22
From: lione...@yahoo.com
The jokes about the Tourist and the Scientologist crack were funny.
SN: No question.

Steve Newport

未読、
2011/01/22 1:32:262011/01/22
From: denn...@dennism3.invalid (Dennis M) Downey's always seemed a
little too glib for his own good to me, especially after the "comeback."
SN: I'm liking him less and less.

trotsky

未読、
2011/01/22 9:06:412011/01/22

Most (many?) actors have nothing to say, but are still worth watching
for their acting ability. Downey and Mel Gibson are two that come to mind.

Steve Newport

未読、
2011/01/22 15:49:072011/01/22
From: gms...@email.com (trotsky)
still worth watching for their acting ability. Downey and Mel Gibson are
two that come to mind.
SN: I've never liked Gibson's acting.

trotsky

未読、
2011/01/22 19:08:382011/01/22

I think he's really good in some movies. That last movie he was in,
"Edge of Darkness" is an example.

新着メール 0 件