Today's premieres and other notes (Friday, May 4)

Robin Miller

May 4, 2018, 11:51:03 AM5/4/18

Streaming:

The Rain [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)

Netflix's first Danish series is a post-apocalyptic YA thriller. After a
brutal virus wipes out most of the population, two young siblings embark
on a perilous search for safety. Eight episodes.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6656238/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st6r-8mLW_o

https://www.netflix.com/title/80154610

A Little Help with Carol Burnett [new; complete season 1]
(3:01 am, Netflix)

Julie Bowen, Candace Cameron Bure, Mark Cuban, Billy Eichner, Taraji P.
Henson, Derek Hough, DJ Khaled, Lisa Kudrow, Brittany Snow, Wanda Sykes
and Finn Wolfhard are some of the guests who will ask a panel of
five-to-nine-year-olds for advice on everyday problems in this comedy
series co-hosted by Carol Burnett and Russell Peters. All 12 episodes
stream today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_-2p1IVZo0

https://www.netflix.com/title/80193475

Kong: King of the Apes (complete season 2) (3:01 am, Netflix)

Animated children's show.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80023587/

Busted! I Know Who You Are [new] (3:01 am, Netflix)

Korea’s most beloved entertainers are brought together by a mysterious
host to solve a series of crime cases in this Korean variety show.
Determined, but clueless, the team of amateur detectives bumble their
way through the crime scenes resulting in endless comedy and drama. 10
episodes; two released each Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4rIeRr2CB0

https://www.netflix.com/title/80209553

Dear White People (complete season 2) (3:01 am, Netflix)

Students of color navigate the daily slights and slippery politics of
life at an Ivy League college that's not nearly as "post-racial" as it
thinks.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5707802/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbCQsA1g3K0

https://www.netflix.com/title/80095698

Anon (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)

Clive Owen and Amanda Seyfried star in the latest sci-fi thriller from
director Andrew Niccol (Gattaca). It's set in the not-at-all-distant
future when technology has rendered concepts like privacy and anonymity
obsolete.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5397194/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJOoYhQcQBI

https://www.netflix.com/title/80195964

Forgive Us Our Debts [Rimetti a Noi i Nostri Debiti] (movie)
(3:01 am, Netflix)

Threatened by creditors, a newly unemployed man agrees to work for a
debt collector, but soon discovers his deal with the devil has
unexpected costs. Italian movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6679412/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG7TNJ1sgoE

https://www.netflix.com/title/80244782

Manhunt (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)

Accused of heinous crimes he didn't commit, a prosecutor sets out on a
mission to clear his name. By director John Woo. In Japanese, Mandarin
and English.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4537986/

https://film.avclub.com/john-woo-returns-to-slow-mo-gunfights-with-the-outrageo-1825714830

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04/30/netflix-trailer-john-woo-manhunt/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMgJ_oprkFA

https://www.netflix.com/title/80209866/

End Game (documentary) (3:01 am, Netflix)

Netflix's latest documentary explores the end-of-life support system
provided by doctors, nurses, and hospice professionals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgJD6ksdkWY

https://www.netflix.com/title/80210691

Broadcast and cable:

MacGyver (season 2 finale) (8 pm, CBS)

Renewed for season 3.

America Divided (season 2 premiere) (9 pm, Epix)

https://americadividedseries.com/

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/america-divided/listings/

The Jazz Ambassadors (documentary) (10 pm, PBS)

The Cold War and civil rights collide in this remarkable story of music,
diplomacy and race. Beginning in 1955, when America asked its greatest
jazz artists to travel the world as cultural ambassadors, Louis
Armstrong, Dizzy Gillespie, Duke Ellington and their racially diverse
band members faced a painful dilemma: How could they represent a country
that still practiced Jim Crow segregation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tChUfY3x7U

http://www.pbs.org/show/jazz-ambassadors/

The Tesla Files [new] (10 pm, History Channel)

Why were trunks belonging to genius inventor Nikola Tesla confiscated in
1943? Did they contain the plans for nearly free worldwide electricity,
massive death rays, and other inventions out of the future? A new
investigation driven by declassified CIA documents suggests a secret
history of bitter rivalries, government conspiracies, Cold War and WW2
spycraft, extra-terrestrial communication, and amazing achievements of a
truly gifted man ­ Nikola Tesla.

https://www.history.com/shows/the-tesla-files

Warren Buffett: Investor. Teacher. Icon. (10 pm, CNBC)

The Graham Norton Show (new time slot) (11 pm, BBC America)

Tomorrow's advance notes:

Diablo Guardian [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Amazon
Prime)

The Prime Original Series is adapted from Xavier Velasco's award-winning
novel of the same name, stars Paulina Gaitan and Andrés Almeida and
follows the troubling story of Violetta, an adolescent from Mexico who
is frustrated with her life and steals $100,000 from her parents to move
to New York. She is awoken to a harsh reality when she runs out of
money, sending her into the arms of the villainous Nefastófeles.
Spanish-language series.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6121710/

Dangerous Seduction (movie) (8 pm, LMN)

After a chance encounter with charismatic and handsome Jack, Posy
Pinkerton seizes the opportunity to experience one last fling before
settling down with her fianc Tom. Falling for Jack emboldens Posy to
create an alter ego, the "Queen of Sin," but she could be making a deal
with the devil. Christa B. Allen, Richard de Klerk, Amber Goldfarb, Inga
Cadranel, Sergio Di Zio, Dean Armstrong, James Graham, Marc Thibaudeau star.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7405940/ [as "The Queen of Sin"]

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/dangerous-seduction

2018 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony (special)
(8-11 pm, HBO)

The 2018 inductees are Bon Jovi, The Cars, Dire Straits, The Moody
Blues, Nina Simone and Sister Rosetta Tharpe. This is a recording of the
induction ceremony, which was held on April 14 in Cleveland. Simone and
Tharpe died in 2003 and 1973, respectively.

https://www.hbo.com/specials/2018-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-induction-ceremony

Mountain Life (season 3 premiere) (11 pm, HGTV)

And a little look-ahead to Sunday, just for Ian:

Darrow & Darrow: In the Key of Murder (movie) (7 pm,
Hallmark M&M)

A simple offer of legal advice turns into the biggest challenge of
Claire Darrow’s legal career when her new beau, District Attorney Miles
Strasberg, introduces her to his younger half-sister, Phoebe. A singer
who has just completed her first album, Phoebe fears that she may have
signed away her rights to her ex-producer, who is threatening to destroy
the recordings. When the producer is found dead in his studio, police
find evidence and motive enough to arrest Phoebe. Though Claire has
never tried a murder case, Miles can’t imagine trusting his beloved
sibling’s fate to anyone else. Working side by side with Miles, Claire
sets out to uncover the truth behind the crime. Starring Kimberly
Williams-Paisley, Wendie Malick and Tom Cavanagh.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8202020/ [as Darrow & Darrow 2]

http://www.hallmarkmoviesandmysteries.com/darrow-darrow-in-the-key-of-murder

The Wrong Daughter (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)

Kate and Joe have longed to be parents and are considering in vitro
options... when Danica, a child Kate gave up 17 years ago, appears on
Facebook. Danica comes to live with them, but she's not their real
child. She's an impostor who will do anything, even kill, to get the
mother's love she never had! April Bowlby, Sydney Sweeney, Cindy Busby
star.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7430654/ [as "Love Me or Else"]

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/the-wrong-daughter/

--Robin

Obveeus

May 4, 2018, 2:18:26 PM5/4/18

On 5/4/2018 11:50 AM, Robin Miller wrote:

>     Streaming:
>

> The Rain        [new; complete season 1]         (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> Netflix's first Danish series is a post-apocalyptic YA thriller.

Will sample.

> Dear White People        (complete season 2)         (3:01 am, Netflix)

Will watch. Great show.

> Anon        (movie)         (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> Clive Owen and Amanda Seyfried star in the latest sci-fi thriller from
> director Andrew Niccol (Gattaca). It's set in the not-at-all-distant
> future when technology has rendered concepts like privacy and anonymity
> obsolete.

Will sample. Easy for big brother to watch you when you carry around
the tracking device and make your whole world transparent to outside
viewing.

>         Tomorrow's advance notes:

KENTUCKY DERBY

>     And a little look-ahead to Sunday, just for Ian:

Why would Ian need to look ahead when he doesn't use the programming
featured of his DVR?

> --Robin

Thanks Robin!

anim8rfsk

May 4, 2018, 3:13:33 PM5/4/18
In article <fl3dr3...@mid.individual.net>,
Robin Miller <robin....@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Streaming:
>

> Anon (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> Clive Owen and Amanda Seyfried star in the latest sci-fi thriller from
> director Andrew Niccol (Gattaca). It's set in the not-at-all-distant
> future when technology has rendered concepts like privacy and anonymity
> obsolete.

IIRC that one's on my list.

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> Tomorrow's advance notes:
>

> And a little look-ahead to Sunday, just for Ian:
>

> The Wrong Daughter (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
>
> Kate and Joe have longed to be parents and are considering in vitro
> options... when Danica, a child Kate gave up 17 years ago, appears on
> Facebook. Danica comes to live with them, but she's not their real
> child. She's an impostor who will do anything, even kill, to get the
> mother's love she never had! April Bowlby, Sydney Sweeney, Cindy Busby
> star.

Bowlby was brilliant on 2.5 Men, but I've been underwhelmed by her forays into drama for wymen.

Thanks!> --Robin

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Ian J. Ball

May 4, 2018, 3:56:22 PM5/4/18
On 2018-05-04 18:18:21 +0000, Obveeus said:

> On 5/4/2018 11:50 AM, Robin Miller wrote:
>>
>>     Streaming:
>>

>> The Rain        [new; complete season 1]         (3:01 am, Netflix)
>>
>> Netflix's first Danish series is a post-apocalyptic YA thriller.
>
> Will sample.

And, yet, I'm quite sure you're turn up your nose at watching "The Tribe"....

:/

Ian J. Ball

May 4, 2018, 4:00:30 PM5/4/18
On 2018-05-04 19:13:25 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> In article <fl3dr3...@mid.individual.net>,
> Robin Miller <robin....@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Tomorrow's advance notes:
>>

>> And a little look-ahead to Sunday, just for Ian:

YaY, me!! :)

>> The Wrong Daughter (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
>>
>> Kate and Joe have longed to be parents and are considering in vitro
>> options... when Danica, a child Kate gave up 17 years ago, appears on
>> Facebook. Danica comes to live with them, but she's not their real
>> child. She's an impostor who will do anything, even kill, to get the
>> mother's love she never had! April Bowlby, Sydney Sweeney, Cindy Busby
>> star.
>
> Bowlby was brilliant on 2.5 Men, but I've been underwhelmed by her
> forays into drama for wymen.

Obviously, I loved "Marriage of Lies" (aka. "Presumed") a lot more than
you did (it's rare to have a Lifetime "heroine" who is so
*unsympathetic*, BY DESIGN!! ;> ).

But I too was underwhelmed by "A Mother's Crime".

I'm hoping "The Wrong Daughter" will be better again... ;)

Ian J. Ball

May 4, 2018, 4:02:44 PM5/4/18
On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 12:56:22 PM UTC-7, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2018-05-04 18:18:21 +0000, Obveeus said:
>
> > On 5/4/2018 11:50 AM, Robin Miller wrote:
> >>
> >>     Streaming:
> >>

> >> The Rain        [new; complete season 1]         (3:01 am, Netflix)
> >>
> >> Netflix's first Danish series is a post-apocalyptic YA thriller.
> >
> > Will sample.
>
> And, yet, I'm quite sure you're turn up your nose at watching "The Tribe"....
>
> :/

And, again:

And, yet, I'm quite sure you'd turn up your nose at watching "The Tribe"....

[sigh... :| ]

anim8rfsk

May 4, 2018, 7:09:58 PM5/4/18
In article <pcie4q$2qp$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2018-05-04 19:13:25 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
> > In article <fl3dr3...@mid.individual.net>,
> > Robin Miller <robin....@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> Tomorrow's advance notes:
> >>

> >> And a little look-ahead to Sunday, just for Ian:
>
> YaY, me!! :)
>
> >> The Wrong Daughter (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
> >>
> >> Kate and Joe have longed to be parents and are considering in vitro
> >> options... when Danica, a child Kate gave up 17 years ago, appears on
> >> Facebook. Danica comes to live with them, but she's not their real
> >> child. She's an impostor who will do anything, even kill, to get the
> >> mother's love she never had! April Bowlby, Sydney Sweeney, Cindy Busby
> >> star.
> >
> > Bowlby was brilliant on 2.5 Men, but I've been underwhelmed by her
> > forays into drama for wymen.
>
> Obviously, I loved "Marriage of Lies" (aka. "Presumed") a lot more than
> you did (it's rare to have a Lifetime "heroine" who is so
> *unsympathetic*, BY DESIGN!! ;> ).
>
> But I too was underwhelmed by "A Mother's Crime".
>
> I'm hoping "The Wrong Daughter" will be better again... ;)

I've only watched one of her LT flicks. I'm not even sure which one ...

Tony Calguire

May 4, 2018, 9:13:36 PM5/4/18
On 04 May 2018, Robin Miller (robin....@invalid.invalid) wrote in
rec.arts.tv:

> The Wrong Daughter (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)

It seems Lifetime has an entire department devoted to thinking up dumb titles
for movies that already have really cool titles.

Obveeus

May 4, 2018, 11:01:38 PM5/4/18

On 5/4/2018 3:56 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2018-05-04 18:18:21 +0000, Obveeus said:
>
>> On 5/4/2018 11:50 AM, Robin Miller wrote:
>>>
>>>     Streaming:
>>>

>>> The Rain        [new; complete season 1]         (3:01 am, Netflix)
>>>
>>> Netflix's first Danish series is a post-apocalyptic YA thriller.
>>
>> Will sample.
>
> And, yet, I'm quite sure you're turn up your nose at watching "The
> Tribe"....

The 2014 Ukranian film? I watched that in September of 2016 and said:

THE TRIBE: This 2014 film clocks in at just over two hours. All of the
dialog is done in Ukrainian sign language and there are no subtitles.
The film is done on a micro-budget with lots of single takes that fill
long running time segments. That being said, the film didn't feel
tedious and un-engaging the way many artsy-fartsy type films do, perhaps
simply because you have to remain attentive just to try and have any
hope of figuring out what is going on. On the other hand, the plot
isn't that hard to follow because there isn't much plot at all and what
is there doesn't make a whole lot of cohesive sense. This film is more
about shock value and there are some very disturbing scenes regarding
humanity in general, and to a much lesser extent the realities of living
in a deaf world.

Ian J. Ball

May 5, 2018, 11:36:19 AM5/5/18
On 2018-05-05 03:01:35 +0000, Obveeus said:

> On 5/4/2018 3:56 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

>>> Will sample.
>>
>> And, yet, I'm quite sure you'[d] turn up your nose at watching "The Tribe"....
>
> The 2014 Ukranian film? I watched that in September of 2016 and said:

Yeah, no - not that "The Tribe"!... ;p

Ian J. Ball

May 5, 2018, 11:37:47 AM5/5/18
Yeah, you watched "Marriage of Lies" (with Corin Nemec), and have been
a big h8r about it ever since... :( :p

anim8rfsk

May 5, 2018, 12:02:51 PM5/5/18
In article <pckj48$2ju$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ah

Obveeus

May 5, 2018, 5:03:03 PM5/5/18

On 5/5/2018 11:36 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2018-05-05 03:01:35 +0000, Obveeus said:

>>> And, yet, I'm quite sure you'[d] turn up your nose at watching "The
>>> Tribe"....
>>
>> The 2014 Ukranian film?  I watched that in September of 2016 and said:
>
> Yeah, no - not that "The Tribe"!...  ;p

This one?
https://vimeo.com/cloud9screenent

...nope, not paying several months worth of Netflix fees just for only
lousy show on Vimeo.

Ian J. Ball

May 5, 2018, 6:15:13 PM5/5/18
That's the one!!

Ian (I wish The 'Flix would pick *that* show up!!... :( )