What Did You Watch? 2019-03-13 (Wednesday)

Ubiquitous

Mar 14, 2019, 8:54:48 AM3/14/19
I watched:

THE CHALLENGE: WORLD WAR:
"In Love and War". Kam and Leroy finally address their tumultuous
relationship when it becomes clear that she may want someone else in
the house. In order to destroy an alliance, Wes reveals a secret that
potentially can break up a couple.

What did you watch?

--
Trump: A president so great that Democrats who said they would leave
America if he won decided to stay!

Ian J. Ball

Mar 14, 2019, 9:27:46 AM3/14/19
This will be brief as I don't feel like doing one of these today.

The only thing I really watched anyway was episodes #6.5 & #6.6 of
"Game of Thrones" - season #6 is definitely getting better and better
as it goes along: there was especially a twist with the High Sparrow
storyline that I didn't see coming (did he successfully "pod" Margery?
or is she just playing a bigger game than Cersei?!), and I really liked
the turn the Arya storyline took (finally! girl!!). P.S. I laff and
laff that the mermaid girl from SQUIGGLE's! "Siren" showed up in Arya's
storyline.
I'll get the #6.7 & #6.8 today.

Recorded for later: The Magacians and Whistky Cavalier.

What did you watch?

Arthur Lipscomb

Mar 14, 2019, 10:41:12 AM3/14/19
On 3/14/2019 6:27 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> This will be brief as I don't feel like doing one of these today.

Hope you feel better.

> The only thing I really watched anyway was episodes #6.5 & #6.6 of "Game
> of Thrones" - season #6 is definitely getting better and better as it
> goes along: there was especially a twist with the High Sparrow storyline
> that I didn't see coming (did he successfully "pod" Margery? or is she
> just playing a bigger game than Cersei?!), and I really liked the turn
> the Arya storyline took (finally! girl!!). P.S. I laff and laff that the
> mermaid girl from SQUIGGLE's! "Siren" showed up in Arya's storyline.
>   I'll get the #6.7 & #6.8 today.
>
> Recorded for later: The Magacians and Whistky Cavalier.
>
> What did you watch?

The Walking Dead - "Guardians" - Episode from last week. The annoying
brat chases after his would girlfriend and doesn't care how many people
die as a result.

Survivor - "I Need a Dance Partner" - Some kind of tribe switch that
doesn't work out. Mostly background noise.

The Magicians - "Home Improvement" - "Penny licks an egg; Alice is
jealous of a flower." All I have to say is, Falcor!!!! :-)

Ian J. Ball

Mar 14, 2019, 7:31:39 PM3/14/19
On 2019-03-14 14:41:08 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 3/14/2019 6:27 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>
>> This will be brief as I don't feel like doing one of these today.
>
> Hope you feel better.

Heh - thanks for the concern. But this wasn't "I'm sick, and so can't
do a proper WDYW? post" - this was a "Some mornings I wake up, and I
don't feel like writing much in the WDYW? thread!"

The latter is a lot more likely to happen when I don't watch much
noteworthy the night before, which is pretty much what happened
yesterday.

In general, the more interesting stuff I watch the day before, the more
I want to write up a WDYW? review.

;)

>> The only thing I really watched anyway was episodes #6.5 & #6.6 of
>> "Game of Thrones" - season #6 is definitely getting better and better
>> as it goes along: there was especially a twist with the High Sparrow
>> storyline that I didn't see coming (did he successfully "pod" Margery?
>> or is she just playing a bigger game than Cersei?!), and I really liked
>> the turn the Arya storyline took (finally! girl!!). P.S. I laff and
>> laff that the mermaid girl from SQUIGGLE's! "Siren" showed up in Arya's
>> storyline.
>>   I'll get the #6.7 & #6.8 today.
>>
>> Recorded for later: The Magacians and Whistky Cavalier.
>>
>> What did you watch?
>
> The Walking Dead - "Guardians" - Episode from last week. The annoying
> brat chases after his would girlfriend and doesn't care how many people
> die as a result.

So glad I never got into this show!!

> The Magicians - "Home Improvement"

Will get to this tonight.

David Barnett

Mar 14, 2019, 8:26:38 PM3/14/19
In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, web...@polaris.net says...
> What did you watch?

On Wednesday March 13, I watched:

NCIS: Crossing The Line
Perhaps cruise related, but I rather liked this episode.
Grade B-

NCIS: LA: Smokescreen, Part II
Not so impressed with this one.
Grade C-

THE GOOD DOCTOR: Trampoline
Season final.
Ends more or less happily.
Grade B

THE BLACKLIST: General Shiro
As there are a lot more episodes to go,
we know Red won't be executed for quite a while.
I enjoy the the interaction of the Judge & Red.
Grade B+

SUPERGIRL: Stand and Deliver
Discussed elsewhere re her glasses.
Grade C

--
David Barnett

BTR1701

Mar 14, 2019, 9:24:15 PM3/14/19
On Mar 14, 2019, Ian J. Ball wrote
(in article <q6enlo$2cb$1...@dont-email.me>):
But the weird thing is you get into so much worse.

Ian J. Ball

Mar 14, 2019, 10:48:44 PM3/14/19
It's not my fault that TWD people *never* managed to craft a
"believable world".

So "worse" is truly in the eye of the beholder...

BTR1701

Mar 14, 2019, 11:22:05 PM3/14/19
In article <MPG.36f59c3...@news.eternal-september.org>,
David Barnett <dbar...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> THE BLACKLIST: General Shiro
> As there are a lot more episodes to go,
> we know Red won't be executed for quite a while.
> I enjoy the the interaction of the Judge & Red.

I think the judge might be fantasizing hooking up with Red.

anim8rfsk

Mar 14, 2019, 11:33:46 PM3/14/19
Thu, 14 Mar 2019 06:27:43 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> What did you watch?

Well, since you asked so nicely ...

I took a break from watching JAG on The Amazon Prime and found that Heroes &
Icons was showing ... JAG. Later silly ones where Mac had psychic powers.
Bleah.

One thing I noticed in the first season was that the show finally gelled when
they added Chegwidden.

TCM and AMC had a bunch of movies I liked on so I checked out
THE MALTESE FALCON - always some fine viewing

THE BIG SLEEP - no matter how many times you see this, it makes no damn
sense, and it's still great. TCM cut off the end so it made less sense than
usual.
Something I hadn't noticed before is that *every* woman in this film is
awesome sauce. This actually works to the detriment of the plot, as Matha
Vicker's little sister Carmen is supposed to be a doll, but every other woman
Marlowe meets makes my heart flutter!
Acme Book Shop Proprietress
Taxi Driver
Waitress
Another Waitress
Agnes
Librarian
Cigarette Girl
Just all of them, and almost all of them nameless, but all flirty as Hell
with Marlowe.

MYSTERY HOUSE a 1938 private eye flick that ran between FALCON and SLEEP.
Unfortunately the audio was so bad I could only make out half the dialog, and
there were no CCs, and I bailed.

FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON 1958 sci-fi classic I hadn't seen more than
snippets of before. It shamelessly steals and doesn't credit the 'electronic
tonalities' of Forbidden Planet (as well as it's narrator). The science of it
is so ludicrous it's cringeworthy, as are many of the production values -
Hell, they just hung the model ship out on a gantry and left the gantry in
the shot, and called it 'orbiting the moon'!

NATIONAL TREASURE - the sole offering on AMC, it begins with the title card:
This film has been modified from
it's original version. It has been
formatted to fit this screen, to
run in the time allotted and
edited for content.
And, sure enough, it wasn't watchable. :(

WHISKEY CAVALIER ep 3
Better than 1, maybe not as good as 2. The former best friend liaison has GOT
to die, horribly. The show continues to be uncomfortably dark, as the little
girl's dad is murdered in front of her while the rest of the action is jokey.
It's still plenty watchable but ... they're showing that the leads are gonna
get romantic, and they have NO chemistry, and the minute they hook up, this
show is over.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Arthur Lipscomb

Mar 15, 2019, 1:14:27 AM3/15/19
On 3/14/2019 8:33 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Thu, 14 Mar 2019 06:27:43 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Well, since you asked so nicely ...
>
> I took a break from watching JAG on The Amazon Prime and found that Heroes &
> Icons was showing ... JAG. Later silly ones where Mac had psychic powers.
> Bleah.
>
> One thing I noticed in the first season was that the show finally gelled when
> they added Chegwidden.
>
> TCM and AMC had a bunch of movies I liked on so I checked out
> THE MALTESE FALCON - always some fine viewing
>
> THE BIG SLEEP - no matter how many times you see this, it makes no damn
> sense, and it's still great. TCM cut off the end so it made less sense than
> usual.

I've never seen it before, but have it saved to my DVR. I was keeping a
list of recommended old movies to watch someone posted here. The list
was lost, but I'm pretty sure this movie was on it. If the ending is
cut, now I'm not sure if I should bother...

anim8rfsk

Mar 15, 2019, 1:23:09 AM3/15/19
Thu, 14 Mar 2019 22:14:25 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
wrote:
My DVR said it was a 2 hour recording. The movie is 114m long so it *should*
have all been there. You might want to peek at the end and see if you have
credits. But it's worth a watch.

Arthur Lipscomb

Mar 15, 2019, 11:51:42 AM3/15/19
I've got the whole thing. :-)

Maybe I'll check it out this weekend.

anim8rfsk

Mar 15, 2019, 1:04:00 PM3/15/19
Fri, 15 Mar 2019 08:51:38 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
Cool beans. Happy to talk about it after!

Adam H. Kerman

Mar 15, 2019, 1:08:53 PM3/15/19
Then you can answer the inevitable question, since who committed some of
the murders was never made clear.

There's a 19 year old Lauren Bacall in the movie. I wonder if she'll
have much of a career.

anim8rfsk

Mar 15, 2019, 1:59:29 PM3/15/19
You're thinking of "To Have and Have Not"
"The Big Sleep" is years later. Bacall's playing the older divorced sister at
all of 22.

Adam H. Kerman

Mar 15, 2019, 5:27:54 PM3/15/19
Yes, I got it wrong.

anim8rfsk

Mar 15, 2019, 5:48:04 PM3/15/19
"If you want me, all you have to do is dial. You know how to dial, don't you?
You just put your finger in the hole and make little circles."

suzeeq

Mar 15, 2019, 7:01:54 PM3/15/19
That's not how the shtick goes.....

anim8rfsk

Mar 15, 2019, 10:22:13 PM3/15/19
It really is. :)

https://youtu.be/rmkbudWbQ9A

suzeeq

Mar 16, 2019, 1:24:05 AM3/16/19
Yabbut that's not the lines Bacall said.

Jim G.

Mar 16, 2019, 2:06:01 AM3/16/19
Ian J. Ball sent the following on 3/14/19 at 8:27 AM:
> What did you watch?

THE MAGICIANS / 4x08 / Home Improvement

[Penny licks an egg. Alice is jealous of a flower.]

"She made Lovelady sound lame."

"This is not a good time."
"It has to be now. You the herald?"
"I'm Harold, the Herald of the East River Dragon. I responded to a
confusingly worded help-wanted ad."

"So you got this in Fillory and used it to rob a dragon?"
"Uh, no. Why would I?"
"Because you're a dragon-obsessed crazy person who does selfish things
for personal gain."
"Oh, please. Name one example of...wait, don't. I remember."

"So that's dragon pregnancy porn?"
"Don't kink shame."

"Well, for once, everyone in this room has done something good. Let's
enjoy it for the five seconds it lasts."

Of the three plots going on, the only main character who ends up
disappointed in this one is Alice, who learns that her newest buddy from
the great city of Modesto, CA has decided to sell out to the frenemy.
Meanwhile, Penny lets us know that he's not a fan of dragon spooge and
Margo makes it clear that she's not a fan of HGTV.

Grade: B+

WHISKEY CAVALIER / 1x03 / When in Rome

[Will and Frankie continue to clash, and their growing pains may
jeopardize the team’s next mission in Rome where they are sent to
prevent a terrorist attack.]

"Open the door."
"No habla ingles."
"IAbre la Puerta!"
"I don't speak Spanish, either."

In this week's outing, the writers start to kill the show by telling us
that "right-wing hate groups" are willing to kill countless innocent
civilians in a false flag operation against innocent and wonderful
immigrants -- or at least kill an innocent ten-year-old girl after Our
Heroes ruin their plans. Because that scenario *so* reflects reality
since, say, 2001. Seriously, the writers need to ride with cops in Rome
or Paris or any other European capital these days so that they can
quickly learn that the areas that no one wants to patrol aren't the
areas where conservatives or even "right-wing hate groups" tend to
congregate.

Grade: D (some good dialogue ruined by stupid liberal propaganda from
clueless writers)

"We are up to our peaches with magical creatures and about to kick some
ass." -- Siren of Space-Time Sara Lance, DC'S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW

Adam H. Kerman

Mar 16, 2019, 12:53:22 PM3/16/19
suzeeq <su...@imbris.com> wrote:
>anim8rfsk wrote:

>>>That's not how the shtick goes.....

>>It really is. :)

>>https://youtu.be/rmkbudWbQ9A

>Yabbut that's not the lines Bacall said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrUsfyVmeKg

anim8rfsk

Mar 16, 2019, 1:16:46 PM3/16/19
In both instances the guy just sits there rather than flinging himself to her
feet, wrapping his arms around her legs and begging "Please, just once, no
one will ever know!!!"

Ian J. Ball

Mar 16, 2019, 4:21:48 PM3/16/19
I liked this episode as a "one-off", but I don't think it even rates a
"B+". The Fenn parts were quite good IMO, and I liked the Alice parts,
but the rest was just silly without really anything else to recommned
it...

Arthur Lipscomb

Mar 17, 2019, 12:24:25 AM3/17/19
That line is not even in the Big Sleep! :-/

Adam H. Kerman

Mar 17, 2019, 12:46:59 AM3/17/19
No, anim was correct. I was thinking about Lauren Bacall in To Have and
Have Not, because it's just one of the world's most memorable, career
making moments in movie history and, damn, that was a woman at all of 19.

Jim G.

Mar 17, 2019, 10:15:10 PM3/17/19
Ian J. Ball sent the following on 3/16/19 at 3:21 PM:
I have a feeling that the actress who plays Fen could read the listings
from a phone book and you'd find it entertaining. :)

> and I liked the Alice parts,

Considering that she's far from my favorite character, the fact that her
arc is as entertaining as it is says something about the writing.

> but the rest was just silly without really anything else to recommned
> it...

Why are you hating on Falcor, you heartless bastage? :)