FOX making sequel to Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"

David

Aug 5, 2011, 1:23:03 AM8/5/11
http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/fox-orders-13-episode-sequel-to-carl-sagans-cosmos-docu-series-to-be-produced-by-seth-macfarlane-for-2013-launch/

Fox Orders 13-Episode Sequel To Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' Docu-Series With
Seth MacFarlane Producing For 2013 Launch
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

After recently signing on to reboot one classic TV show,
Hanna-Barbera's The Flintstones, Seth MacFarlane is taking on another
iconic TV series, Carl Sagan's Cosmos: A Personal Voyage. Fox has
greenlighted Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey, a 13-part docu-series from
Family Guy creator MacFarlane and late Sagan's original collaborators
� his widow, writer/producer Ann Druyan and astrophysicist Steven
Soter. Envisioned as a successor to the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning
original 13-part program, which was hosted by Sagan, the new Cosmos
series will be hosted by renowned astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson.
Underscoring MacFarlane's commercial appeal, Cosmos will air on Fox in
primetime, something pretty unprecedented these days for a science
documentary series on commercial American television. (The original
series aired on PBS.) Fox will air Cosmos: A Personal Voyage in 2013,
which is also when the network will launch MacFarlane's Flintstones
reboot. National Geographic Channel, which will co-produce Cosmos,
will air a same-night encore of the episodes following their broadcast
on Fox. The project is being done outside of MacFarlane's overall deal
with 20th Century fox TV. �Never more than at this moment in the
modern era have we needed a profound reminder of the colossally
important and exciting role that science, space exploration and the
human quest for knowledge must continue to play in our development as
a species,� MacFarlane said. �We should be vigorously exploring the
solar system by now, and who better to inspire us to get there than
Ann Druyan, Steven Soter, Neil deGrasse Tyson and, of course, Carl
Sagan.�

A self-professed geek, MacFarlane hit it off with Druyan after the two
met at a function some time ago. When she shared with him the idea for
a new Cosmos series, MacFarlane immediately sparked to it and set up a
meeting with Peter Rice, entertainment chairman of Fox where
MacFarlane has 3 series on the air, Family Guy, The Cleveland Show and
American Dad. That happened about a year ago, and after lengthy
negotiations, Fox just closed all deals for the project to go forward.
In September 2010, MacFarlane and Druyan appeared together on HBO's
Real Time With Bill Maher where they shared their concern about the
growing anti-science sentiment in American society, something Druyan
attributed to "the failure of public education," which has
"compartmentalized science to 20-40 boring minutes a week, maybe
thought by a gym teacher." That is a far cry from the way her late
husband taught about science. �Carl believed that science belongs to
all of us,� Druyan said now in reference to the Fox series. �He wanted
to convey the thrill of its cosmic perspective to the widest possible
audience. I wish I could tell Carl what Seth�s leadership on this new
Cosmos has made possible. Besides, I know how much they would have
liked each other.�

According to the producers, the new series will tell "the story of how
human beings began to comprehend the laws of nature and find our place
in space and time. It will take viewers to other worlds and travel
across the universe for a vision of the cosmos on the grandest scale.
The most profound scientific concepts will be presented with stunning
clarity, uniting skepticism and wonder, and weaving rigorous science
with the emotional and spiritual into a transcendent experience."

Carl Sagan�s original series Cosmos, which was first broadcast in
1980, remains the most successful American public television series of
all time and has been seen by an estimated 700 million viewers around
the world. One of the signature features of the 1980s series were the
groundbreaking for its time visual effects, which allowed Sagan to
walk through space. The new series is expected to employ the latest
special effects, though it is unclear if it will incorporate another
signature element of the original, the catchy music by Vangelis.
Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey will be produced by Druyan's Cosmos
Studios. Ann Druyan, Seth MacFarlane and Cosmos Studios president
Mitchell Cannold will executive produce along with Allan Butler of
National Geographic Channel.

Obveeus

Aug 5, 2011, 7:53:17 AM8/5/11

"David" <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/fox-orders-13-episode-sequel-to-carl-sagans-cosmos-docu-series-to-be-produced-by-seth-macfarlane-for-2013-launch/
>
> Fox Orders 13-Episode Sequel To Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' Docu-Series With
> Seth MacFarlane Producing For 2013 Launch

> The new series is expected to employ the latest
> special effects,

this sounds very interesting...I just hope by 'special effects' that they
don't mean 'animated'.

Ken Arromdee

Aug 5, 2011, 11:20:03 AM8/5/11
How does this work? Fox is known for being right-wing. Certain aspects of
science that are likely to appear on this show are things the right doesn't
like (especially evolution and the origin of the universe). Considering
Carl Sagan's left-wing political activism during his life, and that they're
working with his widow and presumably using Carl's ideas, that's going to
be an even worse problem for this show than for a random sicence show.
--
Ken Arromdee / arromdee_AT_rahul.net / http://www.rahul.net/arromdee

Obi-wan Kenobi: "Only a Sith deals in absolutes."
Yoda: "Do or do not. There is no 'try'."

Anim8rFSK

Aug 5, 2011, 12:41:04 PM8/5/11
In article <j1glje$r2e$1...@dont-email.me>, "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> "David" <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/fox-orders-13-episode-sequel-to-carl-sagans-

> > cosmos-docu-series-to-be-produced-by-seth-macfarlane-for-2013-launch/
> >
> > Fox Orders 13-Episode Sequel To Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' Docu-Series With
> > Seth MacFarlane Producing For 2013 Launch
>
> > The new series is expected to employ the latest
> > special effects,
>
> this sounds very interesting...I just hope by 'special effects' that they
> don't mean 'animated'.

Hey!

--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"

Bill Steele

Aug 5, 2011, 3:39:09 PM8/5/11
In article <j1h1n3$kkq$1...@blue-new.rahul.net>,
arro...@rahul.net (Ken Arromdee) wrote:

> How does this work? Fox is known for being right-wing. Certain aspects of
> science that are likely to appear on this show are things the right doesn't
> like (especially evolution and the origin of the universe). Considering
> Carl Sagan's left-wing political activism during his life, and that they're
> working with his widow and presumably using Carl's ideas, that's going to
> be an even worse problem for this show than for a random sicence show.

They'll just take a "fair and balanced" approach and include the
creationists and climate change deniers.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 5, 2011, 5:25:33 PM8/5/11
arro...@rahul.net (Ken Arromdee) wrote in

> How does this work? Fox is known for being right-wing.

Fox *News* is known for being right wing. The Fox broadcast network
is know more for being greedy and amoral.

I predict this will involve, at some point, a video (badly animated)
of a comet outgassing - accompanied by fart sounds.

And space boobies.

--
Terry Austin

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Aug 5, 2011, 5:59:05 PM8/5/11
In article <Xns9F3892BF79C...@69.16.186.7>,
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:

..

Ken Wesson

Aug 5, 2011, 9:22:41 PM8/5/11

???

"Gutless"'s article isn't particularly amusing or constructive, but it
certainly doesn't cross the line into abuse. If you don't find his
contributions worthwhile, exercise your control-K finger.

Rich

Aug 5, 2011, 9:23:30 PM8/5/11
David <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/fox-orders-13-episode-sequel-to-carl-sa
> gans-cosmos-docu-series-to-be-produced-by-seth-macfarlane-for-2013-laun
> ch/

Without the Sagan ego-tripping. Get that guy Greene and talk about
quantum physics.

dA.b0mB

Aug 5, 2011, 11:13:30 PM8/5/11
On 05/08/2011 9:23 PM, Rich wrote:
> Without the Sagan ego-tripping. Get that guy Greene and talk about
> quantum physics.

But that'll make all those double-digit-IQ rightards' heads explode.
They'd never risk that!

Hunter

Aug 6, 2011, 7:59:46 AM8/6/11
In article <devm37liin051m8cm...@4ax.com>, diml...@yahoo.com
says...

> [...]

> with the emotional and spiritual into a transcendent experience."
>
> Carl Sagan?s original series Cosmos, which was first broadcast in

> 1980, remains the most successful American public television series of
> all time and has been seen by an estimated 700 million viewers around
> the world. One of the signature features of the 1980s series were the
> groundbreaking for its time visual effects, which allowed Sagan to
> walk through space. The new series is expected to employ the latest
> special effects, though it is unclear if it will incorporate another
> signature element of the original, the catchy music by Vangelis.
> Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey will be produced by Druyan's Cosmos
> Studios. Ann Druyan, Seth MacFarlane and Cosmos Studios president
> Mitchell Cannold will executive produce along with Allan Butler of
----
I loved the old show. Sat right through each episode when I first saw it in
November 1980. It got me into science shows even more than I already was.

I don't mind at all using Neil deGrasse Tyson for the remake but I just don't
see it airing on Fox. They are going to put commercials in breaking up and flow
and they might "jazz it up" too much. IMHO this show should be on PBS. They
know how to do it right.
--
----->Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

Mason Barge

Aug 6, 2011, 11:23:49 AM8/6/11
On Sat, 6 Aug 2011 06:59:46 -0500, Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>In article <devm37liin051m8cm...@4ax.com>, diml...@yahoo.com
>says...
>>
>> http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/fox-orders-13-episode-sequel-to-carl-sagans-cosmos-docu-series-to-be-produced-by-seth-macfarlane-for-2013-launch/
>>
>> Fox Orders 13-Episode Sequel To Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' Docu-Series With
>> Seth MacFarlane Producing For 2013 Launch

[...]

>----
>I loved the old show. Sat right through each episode when I first saw it in
>November 1980. It got me into science shows even more than I already was.
>
>I don't mind at all using Neil deGrasse Tyson for the remake but I just don't
>see it airing on Fox. They are going to put commercials in breaking up and flow
>and they might "jazz it up" too much. IMHO this show should be on PBS. They
>know how to do it right.

Dude! Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. This is incredible news,
IMO.

Do something positive. Send Fox an email promising to watch it.

Hunter

Aug 6, 2011, 1:07:32 PM8/6/11
In article <j1glje$r2e$1...@dont-email.me>, Obv...@aol.com says...
----
No it is not going to look like say "Family Guy" LOL!

David

Aug 6, 2011, 12:08:38 PM8/6/11
On Sat, 6 Aug 2011 12:07:32 -0500, Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>In article <j1glje$r2e$1...@dont-email.me>, Obv...@aol.com says...
>>
>> "David" <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> > http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/fox-orders-13-episode-sequel-to-carl-sagans-cosmos-docu-series-to-be-produced-by-seth-macfarlane-for-2013-launch/
>> >
>> > Fox Orders 13-Episode Sequel To Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' Docu-Series With
>> > Seth MacFarlane Producing For 2013 Launch
>>
>> > The new series is expected to employ the latest
>> > special effects,
>>
>> this sounds very interesting...I just hope by 'special effects' that they
>> don't mean 'animated'.
>----
>No it is not going to look like say "Family Guy" LOL!

But it will have the host saying "this reminds me of the time..."
leading into cutaway flashbacks.

Arthur Lipscomb

Aug 6, 2011, 6:58:07 PM8/6/11

Pluto notwithstanding, I like him. He seems to be turning into a
celebrity scientist. Then again how many other scientists can claim to
have destroyed an entire planet? ;-)

for the remake but I just don't
> see it airing on Fox. They are going to put commercials in breaking up and flow
> and they might "jazz it up" too much. IMHO this show should be on PBS. They
> know how to do it right.

Perhaps but Fox will provide a larger audience. And if more people see
it too and take an interest in science that's a good thing.

Ian J. Ball

Aug 6, 2011, 7:16:28 PM8/6/11
In article <j1kgtv$aln$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> Perhaps but Fox will provide a larger audience. And if more people see
> it too and take an interest in science that's a good thing.

Has the original been released on DVD?

--
"Am I a bird? No, I'm a bat. I'm Batman. Or am I? Yes, I am Batman."
- Abed as "Batman" on "Halloween", "Community", 10/29/09

Arthur Lipscomb

Aug 6, 2011, 7:56:02 PM8/6/11
On 8/6/2011 4:16 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> In article<j1kgtv$aln$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps but Fox will provide a larger audience. And if more people see
>> it too and take an interest in science that's a good thing.
>
> Has the original been released on DVD?

Yes.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Cosmos-The-Complete-Collection/70061728?trkid=1481020

Anim8rFSK

Aug 6, 2011, 10:24:43 PM8/6/11
In article <j1kkag$1qb$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> On 8/6/2011 4:16 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> > In article<j1kgtv$aln$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Perhaps but Fox will provide a larger audience. And if more people see
> >> it too and take an interest in science that's a good thing.
> >
> > Has the original been released on DVD?
> >

> Yes.
>
> http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Cosmos-The-Complete-Collection/70061728?trki
> d=1481020

IIRC those are the syndication versions, cut to ribbons, and not really
the 'originals'

Fred Ellis

Aug 6, 2011, 11:39:46 PM8/6/11
Anim8rFSK wrote:
> In article <j1kkag$1qb$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>

>>On 8/6/2011 4:16 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

>>>Has the original been released on DVD?
>>>

>>Yes.
>>
>>http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Cosmos-The-Complete-Collection/70061728?trki
>>d=1481020
>

> IIRC those are the syndication versions, cut to ribbons, and not really
> the 'originals'

Here is the PBS web page for the TV series Cosmos. They should have the
original complete series that's uncut.

http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=1402999

Fred Ellis
--
"Who do you serve.... And who do you trust?"
(To e-mail me, remove the X from my address)

Ubiquitous

Aug 7, 2011, 12:40:52 AM8/7/11
On Aug 5 2011 11:13 PM, dA.b0mB wrote:
> On 05/08/2011 9:23 PM, Rich wrote:

> > Without the Sagan ego-tripping. Get that guy Greene and talk about
> > quantum physics.
>
> But that'll make all those double-digit-IQ rightards'

Epithet noted. Get back to us when you have something useful to contribute.

--
"If Barack Obama isn't careful, he will become the Jimmy Carter of the
21st century."

------�

Hunter

Aug 7, 2011, 3:51:03 AM8/7/11
In article <j1h1n3$kkq$1...@blue-new.rahul.net>, arro...@rahul.net says...

> How does this work? Fox is known for being right-wing. Certain aspects of
> science that are likely to appear on this show are things the right doesn't
> like (especially evolution and the origin of the universe). Considering
> Carl Sagan's left-wing political activism during his life, and that they're
> working with his widow and presumably using Carl's ideas, that's going to
> be an even worse problem for this show than for a random sicence show.
----
Fox *News* maybe right of center to right wing but Fox's entertainment arm is
liberal. Just look at "Seth" Macfarlane's three animated shows, "Family Guy",
"American Dad", and "The Cleveland Show" (which I all like despite my own
right of center views) to see how liberal it is, particularly regarding
religion.

dA.b0mB

Aug 7, 2011, 9:08:54 AM8/7/11
On 07/08/2011 12:40 AM, Iniquitous wrote:
> On Aug 5 2011 11:13 PM, dA.b0mB wrote:
>> On 05/08/2011 9:23 PM, Rich wrote:
>
>>> Without the Sagan ego-tripping. Get that guy Greene and talk about
>>> quantum physics.
>>
>> But that'll make all those double-digit-IQ rightards'
>
> Epithet noted. Get back to us when you have something useful to contribute.

What does your classic erroneous presupposition have to do with
television, Iniquitous? Anything that ruffles your feathers as much as
my crack about rightards did is inherently "something useful to
contribute", Iniquitous.

Hunter

Aug 7, 2011, 11:36:17 AM8/7/11
In article <a1nq37d79ge2b6rvn...@4ax.com>, mason...@gmail.com
says...
----
Oh I will watch it I just don't like it on Fox. At least the Science or History
Channels should do it. It just doesn't feel right to to do it on Fox. Maybe
CBS. They still have that "gravitas" of being a "serious" broadcast network. I
know it is an mere echo of what it was like the Big Bang-From the days of "See
it Now" and the "CBS Special Reports" or classic "60 Minutes" but it is still
there. :-)

But again if the fact that Fox would have a much much larger than a niche cable
channel or PBS will expose science to more people then I'll hold my nose and be
fore it.

I just hope Fox doesn't cancel it after the 5th episode of the 13 part series.
:-/

Hunter

Aug 7, 2011, 7:15:46 PM8/7/11
In article <j1kgtv$aln$1...@dont-email.me>, art...@alum.calberkeley.org says...
----
Turning into? He has been one for quite awhile now, not as big as Michio Kaku
who I also like very much but Tyson is quite well known with several science
series under his belt including "Nova ScienceNOW".

As for Pluto, I agree with Tyson that it is not a true planet but a Kepler
object a dwarf planet or planetoid at most; sorry. :-)

> for the remake but I just don't
> > see it airing on Fox. They are going to put commercials in breaking up and flow
> > and they might "jazz it up" too much. IMHO this show should be on PBS. They
> > know how to do it right.
>
> Perhaps but Fox will provide a larger audience. And if more people see
> it too and take an interest in science that's a good thing.

----
True, but I prefer the PBS way of them doing science, or at least the Science
Channel's. I also enjoyed the History Channel's "The Universe" (And the
original two hour documentary "How the Earth was made"; the sequel series not
so much) so I am not going to prejudge the Fox effort. As you say if the public
learns something from it it is a good thing.

Fred Ellis

Aug 7, 2011, 8:28:16 PM8/7/11

Hunter, are you going to watch 'Into The Universe With Stephen Hawking'
on the Discovery Channel tonight. I've got my DVD recorder set to
recording it so I can watch it later. Did you catch Hawking's earlier
series that aired some time back? I forget when.

Hunter

Aug 8, 2011, 1:12:36 AM8/8/11
In article <bOn%p.29396$%f4.2...@newsfe16.iad>, fke...@sticx.net says...
---
The Science Channel a few years ago aired a version of Cosmos with improved
special effects and updated scientific knowledge:

"In 2005 The Science Channel rebroadcast the series for its 25th anniversary
with updated computer graphics, film footage, digital sound and updated
scientific knowledge that had occurred in the past 25 years. Despite being
shown again on the Science channel, the total amount of time for the original
13 episodes (780 minutes) was reduced 25% to 585 minutes (45 minutes per
episode) in order to make room for commercials."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Personal_Voyage#Overview

Make room for commercials. I hate that.

Hunter

Aug 8, 2011, 7:41:26 AM8/8/11
In article <B4G%p.29965$wc1....@newsfe04.iad>, fke...@sticx.net says...
----
I missed "Into The Universe with Stephen Hawking" tonight but I will catch a
repeat in a few days; and yes I did see the earlier Hawking series "Stephen
Hawking: Master of the Universe" It was pretty good.

Zombie Elvis

Aug 10, 2011, 12:45:17 AM8/10/11
On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 15:58:07 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 8/6/2011 4:59 AM, Hunter wrote:
>> In article<devm37liin051m8cm...@4ax.com>, diml...@yahoo.com
>> says...
>>>
>>> http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/fox-orders-13-episode-sequel-to-carl-sagans-cosmos-docu-series-to-be-produced-by-seth-macfarlane-for-2013-launch/
>>>
>>> Fox Orders 13-Episode Sequel To Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' Docu-Series With
>>> Seth MacFarlane Producing For 2013 Launch
>>> By NELLIE ANDREEVA

>> I loved the old show. Sat right through each episode when I first saw it in

>> November 1980. It got me into science shows even more than I already was.
>>
>> I don't mind at all using Neil deGrasse Tyson
>
>Pluto notwithstanding, I like him. He seems to be turning into a
>celebrity scientist. Then again how many other scientists can claim to
>have destroyed an entire planet? ;-)

Technically, it was Mike Brown, discoverer of Eris, who was the actual
"plutokiller" and he's so proud of the achievement that he made it his
Twitter handle. Dr. Tyson was more of a cheerleader at the execution.
But of the two, he was definitely the more entertaining one. Although
at the end of the day, I can't help but wonder if the New Horizons
mission which is making its way to Pluto would have ever been approved
if it hadn't launched long before Pluto's demotion.
--
"I recall a time not long ago when a bullet in the chest meant a
sucking chest wound, not a quick bandage job and a climactic

Roberto Castillo
roberto...@ameritech.net

http://robertcastillo.net/
http://twitter.com/ZombieElvis
http://robertocastillo.tumblr.com/

Zombie Elvis

Aug 10, 2011, 12:59:08 AM8/10/11
On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 18:15:46 -0500, Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>> Pluto notwithstanding, I like him. He seems to be turning into a
>> celebrity scientist. Then again how many other scientists can claim to
>> have destroyed an entire planet? ;-)
>----
>Turning into? He has been one for quite awhile now, not as big as Michio Kaku
>who I also like very much but Tyson is quite well known with several science
>series under his belt including "Nova ScienceNOW".

I'd say that he's bigger than Kaku who panders too much to the scifi
crowd (and I say that as a scifi nerd who has enjoyed his show, "Scifi
Science) while Tyson does a better job at the Saganesque wonder.

>As for Pluto, I agree with Tyson that it is not a true planet but a Kepler
>object a dwarf planet or planetoid at most; sorry. :-)

Ultimately it's all a matter of semantics. When you have Jupiter and
Mercury in the category but exclude Pluto, you probably need to
continue refining your definition anyway. (Interestingly enough, Tyson
often complained during the Pluto debate that the term "planet" itself
should be discarded because it was too vague and broad to describe the
diversity of the objects in our solar system.) Personally I'm looking
forward to Jupiter and Saturn's coming promotion to "Sub-Stellar Gas
Giants" or "StarGGs" for short.
--
Dude, I've been having regular conversations with dead people. The last thing I need now is paranoia.
- Hurley

Zombie Elvis

Aug 10, 2011, 1:03:28 AM8/10/11
wrote:

>True, but I prefer the PBS way of them doing science, or at least the Science

>Channel's. I also enjoyed the History Channel's "The Universe" (And the
>original two hour documentary "How the Earth was made"; the sequel series not
>so much) so I am not going to prejudge the Fox effort. As you say if the public
>learns something from it it is a good thing.

I liked "The Universe" at first but it seemed to run out of gas in the
second season. By the time they were doing their "Space Weather" show
where they were comparing the accretion disks of black holes to
hurricanes, I felt like they had crossed some invisible barrier
between serious science and an adult talking down to bored kids....
--
"This is a revolution dammit! We're going to have to offend
somebody."

Anim8rFSK

Aug 10, 2011, 1:27:49 AM8/10/11
In article <bs244791v3cruslv8...@4ax.com>,
Zombie Elvis <DELETErobe...@ameritech.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 15:58:07 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
> <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
> >On 8/6/2011 4:59 AM, Hunter wrote:
> >> In article<devm37liin051m8cm...@4ax.com>, diml...@yahoo.com
> >> says...

> >> I loved the old show. Sat right through each episode when I first saw it
> >> in
> >> November 1980. It got me into science shows even more than I already was.
> >>
> >> I don't mind at all using Neil deGrasse Tyson
> >
> >Pluto notwithstanding, I like him. He seems to be turning into a
> >celebrity scientist. Then again how many other scientists can claim to
> >have destroyed an entire planet? ;-)
>
> Technically, it was Mike Brown, discoverer of Eris, who was the actual
> "plutokiller" and he's so proud of the achievement that he made it his
> Twitter handle.

If he's the one I've seen interviewed, he seems like it was more about
him being a self aggrandizing jackass than the science.

Greg Sandoval

Aug 11, 2011, 9:00:57 PM8/11/11
On 10/08/2011 1:03 AM, Zombie Elvis wrote:
> I liked "The Universe" at first but it seemed to run out of gas in the
> second season. By the time they were doing their "Space Weather" show
> where they were comparing the accretion disks of black holes to
> hurricanes, I felt like they had crossed some invisible barrier
> between serious science and an adult talking down to bored kids....

That "invisible barrier" is called "jumping the shark".

HTH.

Michael OConnor

Aug 11, 2011, 9:34:04 PM8/11/11

> Has the original been released on DVD?

I bought my first DVD player in 2002, and the Cosmos box set was one
of the first things I purchased on DVD. I don't know if it is
available on Blu Ray. I checked Ebay and the Cosmos DVD box set is
going for 40-50 bucks.

Anim8rFSK

Aug 12, 2011, 1:39:51 AM8/12/11
In article
<939b4c50-6fdd-4eb2...@j15g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,
Michael OConnor <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote:

Why would you want it on Blu-ray? It's an old video show. DVD exceeds
it's quality; BR would be a waste of time.

Micky DuPree

Aug 16, 2011, 5:34:35 AM8/16/11
arro...@rahul.net (Ken Arromdee) writes:

> How does this work? Fox is known for being right-wing. Certain
> aspects of science that are likely to appear on this show are things
> the right doesn't like (especially evolution and the origin of the
> universe). Considering Carl Sagan's left-wing political activism
> during his life, and that they're working with his widow and
> presumably using Carl's ideas, that's going to be an even worse
> problem for this show than for a random sicence show.

There's long been a surprising ideological disconnect between the Fox
broadcast network and other arms of the Murdoch empire, such as the Fox
News cable channel. My personal guess is that Murdoch is practical
enough to realize that there's more money in chasing a more mainstream
audience with the broadcast network, which he then puts to use in less
mainstream projects.

I don't even think Murdoch himself is an ideologue, apart from the
ideology that says that Rupert Murdoch should be allowed to control
everything. He just manipulates and subverts right-wing ideologues to
get them to promote his purposes or else get out of his way. His
cynically buying off televangelist and political hopeful Pat Robertson
is one example.

-Micky