V Shatters Its Own Stupidity Record

Mason Barge

Mar 9, 2011, 1:31:29 PM3/9/11
This may be one of the top ten lines of all time:

Scene: Fifth Column leadership is standing around the Blue Energy
reactor, having infiltrated all security without being detected in a
spur-of-the-moment decision. (Method of avoiding detection was basically
to duck while running.) (The scientist of the group, after lengthy
testing and analysis consisting of holding two balls of Blue Energy close
to each other, has used the complex moethodology of holding two balls of
blue energy near each other, then throwing them up in the air.)

African-Amercian Lizard Traitor: "You have to stop the process. There are
two kinds of Blue Energy, "reactive" and "weaponized". This will
weaponize the Blue Energy and destroy everything within 100 square miles."

Defrocked Priest: "We must stop it. It will kill tens of thousands of
people." (by destroying "everything within 100 square miles" of Manhattan)

Intrepid Blonde Female Leader: "No. Do not stop it. We must defeat
Anna."

Defrocked Priest (and honest, I am not making this up): "You realize that
we are going to have to live with this."

KoshN

Mar 9, 2011, 1:34:45 PM3/9/11

You're still watching that show?

Mason Barge

Mar 9, 2011, 1:53:43 PM3/9/11
On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 10:34:45 -0800 (PST), KoshN <macthe...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

It just keeps getting better! I think it has become the #1 comedy on tv.

KoshN

Mar 9, 2011, 2:00:45 PM3/9/11
On Mar 9, 1:53 pm, Mason Barge <masonba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 10:34:45 -0800 (PST), KoshN <macthevor...@yahoo.com>

I had to laugh when I heard of the Red Sky (or whatever the hell it
was) and now "Blue Energy" ....however, I can't watch a show solely to
mock it. I end up feeling sorry for the actors who have to say those
crappy lines and look serious while doing so.

What is this, sci-fi as written by Romper Room kids? A knee-jerk
refusal to write technobabble?

number6

Mar 9, 2011, 2:09:03 PM3/9/11
On Mar 9, 1:53 pm, Mason Barge <masonba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >You're still watching that show?
>
> It just keeps getting better!  I think it has become the #1 comedy on tv.-

As a scientist it's been there for quite sometime ...and equally for
the Chemist/Physicist/Biologist/Engineer ... Not that it's the worst
in pulling out the equivalent of Deus ex Machina scientific nonsense
to promote plot lines or solve things ... but the way they present
them is indeed hilarious ...

That said ... I still watch it ... and do enjoy some parts in between
guffaws ... but I am looking forward to the finale ... just so they
resolve things ...

SoHillsGuy

Mar 9, 2011, 2:32:21 PM3/9/11
>> It just keeps getting better! I think it has become the #1 comedy on tv. <

Oh, come on. Seriously? Funnier than "CSI: Miami"?

number6

Mar 9, 2011, 3:07:52 PM3/9/11
On Mar 9, 2:32 pm, SoHillsGuy <jerryg...@verizon.net> wrote:
> >> It just keeps getting better!  I think it has become the #1 comedy on tv. <
>
> Oh, come on.  Seriously?  Funnier than "CSI: Miami"?

Overheard in the V writers room ...
OK let's get some fancy looking tall thingy that spins around flashing
lights and makes woo woo noises ... then make believe that it does
something cool when all the actors stand around gawking at it ...

Then let's think up some chintzy dialogue ... Like the fate of the
future is in our hands ... we must do it ...

Obveeus

Mar 9, 2011, 4:31:32 PM3/9/11

"Mason Barge" <mason...@gmail.com> wrote:

As an (ex-) priest perhaps he meant 'we will have to live with this' in the
figurative sense of having to spend the rest of eternity trying to explain
to God why they thought it was ok to kill the thousands of people that live
in NYC...with God spending his eternity trying to explain to the priest that
he can actually excuse the killing, but can't let anyone into heaven with
estimation skill that bad.

Anim8rFSK

Mar 9, 2011, 7:55:47 PM3/9/11
In article
<5666160b-4a5e-4b9d...@glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com
SoHillsGuy <jerr...@verizon.net> wrote:

> >> It just keeps getting better! I think it has become the #1 comedy on tv. <
>
> Oh, come on. Seriously? Funnier than "CSI: Miami"?

Or Smallville?

--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"

Hunter

Mar 9, 2011, 8:05:00 PM3/9/11
On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 13:31:29 -0500, Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>This may be one of the top ten lines of all time:
>
>Scene: Fifth Column leadership is standing around the Blue Energy
>reactor, having infiltrated all security without being detected in a
>spur-of-the-moment decision. (Method of avoiding detection was basically
>to duck while running.)

-----
That is because Ryan took out a couple Visitor guards ahead of them.
He laid out about two of them. Plus they were running inside of some
metal conduit pipes. And of course they already got the code for the
reactor building itself.

> (The scientist of the group, after lengthy
>testing and analysis consisting of holding two balls of Blue Energy close
>to each other, has used the complex moethodology of holding two balls of
>blue energy near each other, then throwing them up in the air.)

------
Actually the two spheres floated up out of Sid's hands and near to the
reactor and he had to activate them by using a remote.

>African-Amercian Lizard Traitor: "You have to stop the process. There are
>two kinds of Blue Energy, "reactive" and "weaponized". This will
>weaponize the Blue Energy and destroy everything within 100 square miles."

-----
It was Lisa who said it could destroy everything within 100 square
miles

Ryan actually he said to Sid

Ryan: You are about to cause a huge explosion. That explosion is going
to kill us all

Sid: How do you expect me to trust you!?!?

Ryan: You know there are two forms of Blue Energy?

Sid [silence]

Ryan: There's Inert and weaponized. Are you sure, I mean, actually
100& sure you didn't weaponize that?

Then Ryan tackled Sid but not before he activated the small blue
energy spheres.

After which Erica's team came in and was a second from shooting Ryan;
then Ryan said "There will be an enormous explosion killing tens of
thousands of people!"

>Defrocked Priest: "We must stop it. It will kill tens of thousands of
>people." (by destroying "everything within 100 square miles" of Manhattan)

-----
Actually Ryan told them the "tens of thousands of people" line but
didn't say to them what Lisa told him that everything could be
destroyed within 100 miles. So Jack just repeated what Ryan told them.

>Intrepid Blonde Female Leader: "No. Do not stop it. We must defeat
>Anna."

----
Erica never said that. The closest she came was well after they got
back to their lair and said they should've let it blow up because
world leaders were impressed that Anna's blue energy got the lights
back on so fast. They-or so they thought-their own electrical grid
failed; therefore Erica thought they handied Anna a public relations
victory out of what should've been a disaster.

>Defrocked Priest (and honest, I am not making this up): "You realize that
>we are going to have to live with this."

-----
Actually Jack said:

"What if Lisa did send him? Tens of thousands dead! Can you live with
that if you are wrong Erica!?!?

------>Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

Arthur Lipscomb

Mar 9, 2011, 9:42:33 PM3/9/11

Maybe that's how the actor rationalized saying that line but I doubt if
the writers put that much thought into it.

And wasn't the fifth column created by the Vs (whatever happened to John
May anyway)? How/when did humans take over running an internal V
resistance group? And if it's a separate group why are they calling
themselves the fifth column?

Then there's their ridiculous justification for why they don't reveal to
the world what the Vs are really doing since the Vs would then
immediately invade Earth. But now that it's clear that the invasion is
imminent and they need humanity's cooperation for it to go as planned,
now would be a good time to let the world in on the impending invasion.
At least then the world's militarizes could *attempt* to offer some form
of organized coherent (and competent) resistance by people who actually
know what they're doing.

Zombie Elvis

Mar 10, 2011, 1:06:23 AM3/10/11
<macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Defrocked Priest (and honest, I am not making this up): "You realize that
>> we are going to have to live with this."
>
>You're still watching that show?

Hot lizard chicks.
--
"I demand that you put you're massive piece of wood in my hand right now!"
-- William Regal

Roberto Castillo
roberto...@ameritech.net

http://robertcastillo.net/
http://twitter.com/ZombieElvis
http://robertocastillo.tumblr.com/

Henry Harrison

Mar 10, 2011, 1:26:50 AM3/10/11
On 09/03/2011 1:34 PM, KoshN wrote:
> You're still watching that show?

Two words:

Laura.

Vandervoort.

Any questions?

Hunter

Mar 10, 2011, 4:31:32 AM3/10/11

---

KoshN

Mar 10, 2011, 7:40:04 AM3/10/11

Hot women weren't enough to keep me watching Dollhouse, Battlestar
Galactica (2003+) or V, but were enough to keep me watching TSCC.
Re. V, the plusses didn't outweigh the minuses, for me.

Obveeus

Mar 10, 2011, 8:03:40 AM3/10/11

"Arthur Lipscomb" <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> On 3/9/2011 1:31 PM, Obveeus wrote:
>> As an (ex-) priest perhaps he meant 'we will have to live with this' in
>> the
>> figurative sense of having to spend the rest of eternity trying to
>> explain
>> to God why they thought it was ok to kill the thousands of people that
>> live
>> in NYC...with God spending his eternity trying to explain to the priest
>> that
>> he can actually excuse the killing, but can't let anyone into heaven with
>> estimation skill that bad.
>
> Maybe that's how the actor rationalized saying that line but I doubt if
> the writers put that much thought into it.

I agree that it doesn't appear as if the writers think too much about
dialog.

> And wasn't the fifth column created by the Vs (whatever happened to John
> May anyway)?

Yes, the 5th Column was initially (40 years ago or whatever amount of time)
a V resistance group. When Anna and the bulk of the 'V' left Earth year's
ago it was after John may had supposedly been killed and the 'V' believed
that the 5th Column had been put down. Sadly, it would not surprise me if
Marc Singer turns out to be John May. Either way, though, next week is the
season/series finale so at least it will all be over.

> How/when did humans take over running an internal V resistance group? And
> if it's a separate group why are they calling themselves the fifth column?

The current '5th Column' is indeed a separate group...basically named/acting
as a tribute band. They share the ideals of the original group (ideals =
stop Anna), so they took up the name for the simple advantage that name
recognition would help put more people in the seats. After all, isn't that
the real premise of this whole remake show?

> Then there's their ridiculous justification for why they don't reveal to
> the world what the Vs are really doing since the Vs would then immediately
> invade Earth. But now that it's clear that the invasion is imminent and
> they need humanity's cooperation for it to go as planned, now would be a
> good time to let the world in on the impending invasion. At least then the
> world's militarizes could *attempt* to offer some form of organized
> coherent (and competent) resistance by people who actually know what
> they're doing.

Agreed. At this point it makes no sense at all to hide from the public that
the 'V' are lizards planning to 'do something' to Earth. Of course, if you
announce to the world that the 'V' are planning to invade us, solve our
energy problems, cure our sick, and mate with us; 5th Column financial
contributions are bound to grind to a halt. So, the 5th Column has to keep
working towards some sort of devious/terrorist means to prevent progress
from marching forward.

Thanatos

Mar 10, 2011, 10:00:00 AM3/10/11
In article
<ed411c6c-5ce7-485a...@j13g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
KoshN <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Don't feel sorry for them. They're being well paid to say those crappy
lines.

~consul

Mar 10, 2011, 4:39:21 PM3/10/11
I wished they would go to their old logo where it was a spray paint. It ends up looking like a spray paint right now, but a digitized version as opposed to a down/up spray.
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk. For here, at the end of all things, we shall do what needs to be done."
--till next time, consul -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

Henry Harrison

Mar 10, 2011, 4:51:21 PM3/10/11
On 10/03/2011 7:40 AM, KoshN wrote:
> On Mar 10, 1:26 am, Henry Harrison<hharr.1...@quux.bar.foo> wrote:
>> On 09/03/2011 1:34 PM, KoshN wrote:
>>
>>> You're still watching that show?
>>
>> Two words:
>>
>> Laura.
>>
>> Vandervoort.
>>
>> Any questions?
>
> Hot women weren't enough to keep me watching Dollhouse, Battlestar
> Galactica (2003+) or V, but were enough to keep me watching TSCC.

So, we can infer these two inequalities:

Summer Glau > Tricia Helfer
Summer Glau > Morena Baccarin

Thanks. :)

Henry Harrison

Mar 10, 2011, 4:54:13 PM3/10/11
On 10/03/2011 8:03 AM, Obveeus wrote:
> Yes, the 5th Column was initially (40 years ago or whatever amount of time)
> a V resistance group. When Anna and the bulk of the 'V' left Earth year's
> ago it was after John may had supposedly been killed and the 'V' believed
> that the 5th Column had been put down. Sadly, it would not surprise me if
> Marc Singer turns out to be John May. Either way, though, next week is the
> season/series finale so at least it will all be over.

Er, say what? Next week is March 15, not any date in late May. It's two
and a half months before the correct time for finales.

Mason Barge

Mar 10, 2011, 6:39:27 PM3/10/11
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:39:21 -0800, ~consul
<con...@dolphinsTAKEAWAY-cove.com> wrote:

>I wished they would go to their old logo where it was a spray paint. It ends up looking like a spray paint right now, but a digitized version as opposed to a down/up spray.

Which reminds me, did anyone take a good look at the tears of blood
running down Anna's face when she blissed humans?

In one scene, the top edge was like a quarter inch onto her nose. So, V's
have tear glands in their enlarged nose pores?

And can anyone identify the exact shade of nail polish they used for the
blood?

Mason Barge

Mar 10, 2011, 6:41:52 PM3/10/11

Two problems with the comparison. First, as toothsome as Tricia Helfer
was, BG also had that yummy Chinese girl. Second, you have at least a -1
for Katee Sackhoff. We even had to look at her large ugly feet in one
episode.

David Johnston

Mar 10, 2011, 7:12:01 PM3/10/11

But they don't want to show two and a half months of dead air.

Henry Harrison

Mar 10, 2011, 7:14:35 PM3/10/11
On 10/03/2011 6:41 PM, Mason Barge wrote:
>> Summer Glau> Tricia Helfer
>> Summer Glau> Morena Baccarin
>>
> Two problems with the comparison.

I don't think so.

> First, as toothsome as Tricia Helfer was, BG also had that yummy
> Chinese girl.

Doesn't hold a candle to Helfer.

> Second, you have at least a -1 for Katee Sackhoff.

Opinions obviously differ about that.

Henry Harrison

Mar 10, 2011, 7:19:06 PM3/10/11

Neither does CSI, but CSI is scheduled until late May. Apparently CSI's
producers were able to do the math right when calculating the number of
weeks between September and June and deciding how many episodes to film.
Oh, and apparently CSI's producers have heard of the concept of padding
with reruns where necessary.

Arthur Lipscomb

Mar 10, 2011, 9:47:36 PM3/10/11

You're contributing power to the producers that's in the hands of the
network. The network decides how many episodes they want produced and
how many episodes they will air. The producers made the number of
episodes the network ordered. I think the network might have even cut
the already low production order but I'm not sure.

Arthur Lipscomb

Mar 10, 2011, 10:00:07 PM3/10/11

But this is a retcon. At one point the resistance was a few people in a
New York basement then overnight it's an organized world wide movement.
Who all somehow found out about the Vs but decided not to make that
knowledge public.

Not that there's anything wrong with an organized world wide human
resistance but it would make more sense if it's existence was justified
somehow the way it was in the original series.

Henry Harrison

Mar 10, 2011, 10:00:42 PM3/10/11
On 10/03/2011 9:47 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> You're contributing power to the producers that's in the hands of the
> network.

Actually, I'm just not making any distinctions among them at all. As far
as I am concerned, they are all "the producers", since from the viewer's
point of view there's just this monolithic corporate entity that
produces, distributes, fucks around with, and cancels their favorite shows.

Dan Lanciani

Mar 10, 2011, 10:06:38 PM3/10/11
In article <ilai7h$2ig$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, Obv...@aol.com (Obveeus) writes:

| Agreed. At this point it makes no sense at all to hide from the public that
| the 'V' are lizards planning to 'do something' to Earth. Of course, if you
| announce to the world that the 'V' are planning to invade us, solve our
| energy problems, cure our sick, and mate with us;

And make us stronger in furtherance of same. And bliss us. Let's not
forget the blissing.

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com

Obveeus

Mar 10, 2011, 10:31:21 PM3/10/11

"Arthur Lipscomb" <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

I think the show explained it as crackpots on the internet spreading
word/rumor of the 'V' being bad and of the '5th Column' representing anyone
that fights against them. It could very well be that the bulk of the 5th
Column worldwide doesn't even know that they are fighting lizards.

Anim8rFSK

Mar 11, 2011, 2:22:52 AM3/11/11
In article <ilc37o$q1s$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

With vast resources and unlimited funds.

> Who all somehow found out about the Vs but decided not to make that
> knowledge public.

You'd think there'd at least be rumors ...

> Not that there's anything wrong with an organized world wide human
> resistance but it would make more sense if it's existence was justified
> somehow the way it was in the original series.

Hunter

Mar 11, 2011, 3:51:34 AM3/11/11

------
Well as I have point out twice in two previous replies already Jack
didn't say that.

>And wasn't the fifth column created by the Vs (whatever happened to John
>May anyway)?

-------
Yes it was. It started out as sleeper agents composed of various
sleeper cells for and from Anna to prepare the way for the main
invasion but after a time and they became comfortable living here with
families and in human skin that gave them or reactivated their
emotions they grew to realize what they were doing was wrong. As a
result they started resisting their fellow Vs plans for the conquest
of Earth and John May, one of the first rebels created the Fifth
Column. A secret war between The Fifth Column fighting Loyal Agents
from Anna who were killing humans in positions of some power replacing
them with Vs.

John May was killed by Ryan Nichols, who was then a loyal agent of
Anna's. May essentially told John to get to know the humans and let
himself feel human emotion and he will know what he was doing was
wrong. Ryan found that out after he met his wife at May's funeral. He
then became Fifth Column himself.

> How/when did humans take over running an internal V
>resistance group?

-------
After John May's death various V Fifth Columns reached out to the
still independent human resistance movement led by George Sutton, but
both groups were being stamped out by Anna's agents and went into
hiding and in some cases building lives on Earth like Ryan did
marrying humans until the "official" arrival of the Vs where the
series picks up. The remaining Fifth Column members including Ryan
reformed and reached out to the remaining human resistance.

> And if it's a separate group why are they calling
>themselves the fifth column?

------
The V and human resistance simply unified under the name "Fifth
Column" (which was a title from a real life underground resistance
insurgency from the Spanish Civil War of the 1930s against the Left
wing strong hold in Madrid. While four Fascist conventional military
columns converged on the city from the outside there was a resistance
from inside Madrid, the fifth Column of Fascist forces. The term soon
became a title for any underground insurgency force regardless of its
political leanings). Since the Fifth Column Vs were in much better
position to resist on the inside they were for a while the leaders of
both the Visitor and human branches of the resistance so the humans
fell under the title "Fifth Column".

Before unification under Erica the movement on the human side of the
Fifth Column spit into different factions just like the original V
Fifth Column, in part because to maintain security they were made into
individual sleeper cells which gave each other only the bare minimum
information about each other so if one cell is captured and/or
destroyed it doesn't take the entire movement with them. Of course
this results with no overarching cohesive leadership. So the
individual cells develop different philosophies of resistance,
including some like Erica's that bend over backwards to protect human
life while others like Eli's were willing to use suicide bombers for
the greater good even if a few innocent humans are killed.

>Then there's their ridiculous justification for why they don't reveal to
>the world what the Vs are really doing since the Vs would then
>immediately invade Earth. But now that it's clear that the invasion is
>imminent and they need humanity's cooperation for it to go as planned,
>now would be a good time to let the world in on the impending invasion.
>At least then the world's militarizes could *attempt* to offer some form
>of organized coherent (and competent) resistance by people who actually
>know what they're doing.

-------
Really? Know what they are doing? What technology do we have to use
against them? All would that will be billions killed and virtually
all of our civilization destroyed. Real life resistance groups like
the Marque started out with people who didn't know what they were
doing either.

The resistance whats to avoid that by resisting the Vs from without
and within subtly. Otherwise we would be much worse than how the
American Indians got it and their resistance to European invasion was
much more effective because the technological level wasn't nearly as
great (the Europeans at first had only was slow reloading, single shot
muskets verses the Indian's quick reloading bows and arrows).

The best course of action against such overwhelming force is to do
what they are doing, perform a holding action against the Vs from
without while cultivating as many allies within the V's leadership as
possible. They have Former Queen Diana, Princess Lisa and the Chief
Medical Officer working for them on the lead Mothership plus other
Fifth Column on the ships currently lying low. Use those assets first
before going to war openly in what would be likely a hopeless fight.

Ken from Chicago

Mar 11, 2011, 6:07:33 AM3/11/11

"KoshN" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Mar 9, 1:31 pm, Mason Barge <masonba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This may be one of the top ten lines of all time:
>>
>> Scene: Fifth Column leadership is standing around the Blue Energy
>> reactor, having infiltrated all security without being detected in a
>> spur-of-the-moment decision. (Method of avoiding detection was basically
>> to duck while running.) (The scientist of the group, after lengthy
>> testing and analysis consisting of holding two balls of Blue Energy close
>> to each other, has used the complex moethodology of holding two balls of
>> blue energy near each other, then throwing them up in the air.)
>>
>> African-Amercian Lizard Traitor: "You have to stop the process. There
>> are
>> two kinds of Blue Energy, "reactive" and "weaponized". This will
>> weaponize the Blue Energy and destroy everything within 100 square
>> miles."
>>
>> Defrocked Priest: "We must stop it. It will kill tens of thousands of
>> people." (by destroying "everything within 100 square miles" of
>> Manhattan)
>>
>> Intrepid Blonde Female Leader: "No. Do not stop it. We must defeat
>> Anna."
>>
>> Defrocked Priest (and honest, I am not making this up): "You realize that
>> we are going to have to live with this."
>

> You're still watching that show?

If only to appreciate the V stupidity rants.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Mar 11, 2011, 6:08:19 AM3/11/11

"Thanatos" <atr...@mac.com> wrote in message

Maybe there should be a telethon to Save The Actors from bad writing.

-- Ken from Chicago

jimmydeanbakker

Mar 11, 2011, 9:42:20 AM3/11/11
On Mar 9, 12:31 pm, Mason Barge <masonba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This may be one of the top ten lines of all time:
>
> Scene:  Fifth Column leadership is standing around the Blue Energy
> reactor, having infiltrated all security without being detected in a
> spur-of-the-moment decision.  (Method of avoiding detection was basically
> to duck while running.)  (The scientist of the group, after lengthy
> testing and analysis consisting of holding two balls of Blue Energy close
> to each other, has used the complex moethodology of holding two balls of
> blue energy near each other, then throwing them up in the air.)
>
> African-Amercian Lizard Traitor: "You have to stop the process.  There are
> two kinds of Blue Energy, "reactive" and "weaponized".  This will
> weaponize the Blue Energy and destroy everything within 100 square miles."
>
> Defrocked Priest: "We must stop it.  It will kill tens of thousands of
> people." (by destroying "everything within 100 square miles" of Manhattan)
>
> Intrepid Blonde Female Leader:  "No.  Do not stop it.  We must defeat
> Anna."
>
> Defrocked Priest (and honest, I am not making this up): "You realize that
> we are going to have to live with this."

Hilarious! I am watching the show religiously because I want the show
to make it. The problem is with the networks. If a show doesn't
capture a large audience within the first few shows, the networks will
axe the show. I think V threw a whole lot of crap at us with the hopes
that it would keep our attention. In addition, that freaking hiatus
almost caused me to quit watching the show. They take another hiatus
that last that long, and I'll stop watching.

KoshN

Mar 11, 2011, 1:17:34 PM3/11/11

That assumes that the rest of each show is equally bad, and that's an
invalid assumption.

Henry Harrison

Mar 11, 2011, 3:51:13 PM3/11/11

No it isn't.

Mason Barge

Mar 11, 2011, 4:14:32 PM3/11/11
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 09:31:32 GMT, Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com> (Hunter)
wrote:

Okay, I'm wrong. That doesn't sound stupid at all.

Mason Barge

Mar 11, 2011, 4:15:39 PM3/11/11
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 01:05:00 GMT, Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com> (Hunter)
wrote:

>On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 13:31:29 -0500, Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com>

>wrote:
>
>>This may be one of the top ten lines of all time:
>>
>>Scene: Fifth Column leadership is standing around the Blue Energy
>>reactor, having infiltrated all security without being detected in a
>>spur-of-the-moment decision. (Method of avoiding detection was basically
>>to duck while running.)

>-----
>That is because Ryan took out a couple Visitor guards ahead of them.
>He laid out about two of them. Plus they were running inside of some
>metal conduit pipes. And of course they already got the code for the
>reactor building itself.

You do realize the implications of becoming the resident apologist for V?

Mason Barge

Mar 11, 2011, 4:17:09 PM3/11/11

Eh, unfortunately, with the terrible ratings, it will be gone after this
season. :(

Henry Harrison

Mar 11, 2011, 5:19:25 PM3/11/11

That ship has long since sailed. I think the only show with bad writing
he hasn't tried to fanwank into respectability has been Defying Gravity.

Hunter

Mar 11, 2011, 8:00:51 PM3/11/11
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 18:41:52 -0500, Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 16:51:21 -0500, Henry Harrison

><hharr...@quux.bar.foo> wrote:

>>> Hot women weren't enough to keep me watching Dollhouse, Battlestar
>>> Galactica (2003+) or V, but were enough to keep me watching TSCC.
>>
>>So, we can infer these two inequalities:
>>
>>Summer Glau > Tricia Helfer
>>Summer Glau > Morena Baccarin
>>
>Two problems with the comparison. First, as toothsome as Tricia Helfer
>was, BG also had that yummy Chinese girl.

-------
For the record Grace Park is of Korean decent.

> Second, you have at least a -1
>for Katee Sackhoff. We even had to look at her large ugly feet in one
>episode.

-----
I don't know about her feet but Katee Sackhoff is a beautiful woman.
She just has to lance a few huge isolate freckles.

Thanatos

Mar 11, 2011, 10:21:47 PM3/11/11
In article <t54ln6duik6prqfs7...@4ax.com>,
Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com> wrote:

He's not the resident apologist for V. He's the resident apologist for
all of television.

There's apparently nothing that Hollywood writers churn out that he
doesn't think makes perfect sense.

Thanatos

Mar 11, 2011, 10:22:28 PM3/11/11
In article <ile75e$dpd$2...@speranza.aioe.org>,
Henry Harrison <hharr...@quux.bar.foo> wrote:

I don't think he's taken a whack at CSI: Horatio yet. That may even be
beyond his abilities to fan wank.

Thanatos

Mar 11, 2011, 10:32:53 PM3/11/11
In article <4d79e1e2...@news.optonline.net>,
Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com> (Hunter) wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 18:42:33 -0800, Arthur Lipscomb
> <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> >Then there's their ridiculous justification for why they don't reveal to
> >the world what the Vs are really doing since the Vs would then
> >immediately invade Earth. But now that it's clear that the invasion is
> >imminent and they need humanity's cooperation for it to go as planned,
> >now would be a good time to let the world in on the impending invasion.
> >At least then the world's militarizes could *attempt* to offer some form
> >of organized coherent (and competent) resistance by people who actually
> >know what they're doing.
> -------
> Really? Know what they are doing? What technology do we have to use
> against them?

Considering Anna seems to think human cooperation is essential for her
plan, we could stop cooperating.

> All would that will be billions killed and virtually
> all of our civilization destroyed.

Gonna happen anyway if they say nothing.

> Real life resistance groups like the Marque started out with people
> who didn't know what they were doing either.

And the much higher number of incompetent resistance groups throughout
history were simply never heard from again because... they were really
bad at their job.

> The resistance whats to avoid that by resisting the Vs from without
> and within subtly.

When 500+ invasion ships are literally ready to pounce, the time for
subtlety is over.

> The best course of action against such overwhelming force is to do
> what they are doing,

Remind me to not vote for you for human resistance leader, whether we're
fighting zombies, terminators or aliens.

> Use those assets first before going to war openly in what would
> be likely a hopeless fight.

"We will once again fight for our freedom. Not from
tyranny, persecution or oppression. But from annihilation.
We're fighting for our right to exist. From this day on,
the Fourth of July will no longer be remembered as an
American holiday but as the day that all of mankind
declared we will not go quietly into the night. We will not
vanish without a fight. We will live on. We will survive!"

Now all they need is a Macintosh laptop and a jury-rigged nuke. But get
Laura off that ship first. She's an alien treasure.

Thanatos

Mar 11, 2011, 10:35:29 PM3/11/11
In article <ANIM8Rfsk-EEE54...@news.dc1.easynews.com>,
Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:

> In article <ilc37o$q1s$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> > But this is a retcon. At one point the resistance was a few people in a
> > New York basement then overnight it's an organized world wide movement.
>
> With vast resources and unlimited funds.

And which still inexplicably mounts infiltration operations by doing
nothing more than running really quick and ducking behind stuff and
occasionally knocking someone out.

> > Who all somehow found out about the Vs but decided not to make that
> > knowledge public.
>
> You'd think there'd at least be rumors ...

Yeah, but they'd all be dismissed as urban myths:

"Dude, I heard Anna ate a gerbil!"

"No, that was Richard Gere, dumbass."

Henry Harrison

Mar 11, 2011, 11:35:42 PM3/11/11

Touché. I really meant the only science fiction show. :)

Henry Harrison

Mar 11, 2011, 11:36:31 PM3/11/11

Be fair. You have not proven the implied serious charge that he defended
Defying Gravity. :)

Ken from Chicago

Mar 12, 2011, 9:24:45 AM3/12/11

"Henry Harrison" <hharr...@quux.bar.foo> wrote in message

Horatio's one nut (puts on shades) that's too tough to crack.

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

-- CSI: Ken from Chicago

KoshN

Mar 12, 2011, 10:43:25 AM3/12/11

Sure it is.

Summer Glau was good on TSCC, which was an ~OK~ show with a couple of
lesser characters/actors (Dekker and Headey), and a couple of decent
characters/actors (Glau, Manson and Dillahunt).

Tricia Helfer was good on BG (2003+), which started out as a pretty
good show, but turned into utter crap, ....a *trashy* soap populated
with unlikeable characters.

Morena Baccarin was good on Firefly and Stargate SG-1, but this remake
of V has been silly, campy crap from the beginning. I wish Baccarin,
the actress playing the blonde FBI agent, and Vandervoot could find
better shows.

Henry Harrison

Mar 12, 2011, 2:19:48 PM3/12/11
On 12/03/2011 10:43 AM, KoshN wrote:
> On Mar 11, 3:51 pm, Henry Harrison<hharr.1...@quux.bar.foo> wrote:

>>> That assumes that the rest of each show is equally bad, and that's an
>>> invalid assumption.
>>
>> No it isn't.
>
> Sure it is.

Perhaps you're not understanding how this interaction is supposed to go.
Once I have addressed your objections, you are supposed to agree with me
or remain silent, not argue further.

> Summer Glau was good on TSCC

Which was canceled after two seasons on network television.

> Tricia Helfer was good on BG (2003+)

Which turned into crap after two seasons and only lasted longer because
it was a cable show.

> Morena Baccarin ... this remake of V

Looks like it will be canceled after two seasons on network television.

Seems equally bad to me. :)

Jim G.

Mar 13, 2011, 4:02:18 PM3/13/11

Mason Barge sent the following on 3/11/2011 3:14 PM:

Heh. Okay, so someone else *did* beat me to it, as expected. And yes,
it's funny that Hunter (apparently) seems to think that his correction
of the actual quote actually changes things at all.

--
Jim G.
Waukesha, WI

Jim G.

Mar 13, 2011, 4:02:37 PM3/13/11

Arthur Lipscomb sent the following on 3/10/2011 9:00 PM:

> On 3/10/2011 5:03 AM, Obveeus wrote:

>>> Maybe that's how the actor rationalized saying that line but I doubt if
>>> the writers put that much thought into it.
>>
>> I agree that it doesn't appear as if the writers think too much about
>> dialog.
>>
>>> And wasn't the fifth column created by the Vs (whatever happened to John
>>> May anyway)?
>>
>> Yes, the 5th Column was initially (40 years ago or whatever amount of time)
>> a V resistance group. When Anna and the bulk of the 'V' left Earth year's
>> ago it was after John may had supposedly been killed and the 'V' believed
>> that the 5th Column had been put down. Sadly, it would not surprise me if
>> Marc Singer turns out to be John May. Either way, though, next week is the
>> season/series finale so at least it will all be over.
>>
>>> How/when did humans take over running an internal V resistance group? And

>>> if it's a separate group why are they calling themselves the fifth column?
>>
>> The current '5th Column' is indeed a separate group...basically named/acting
>> as a tribute band. They share the ideals of the original group (ideals =
>> stop Anna), so they took up the name for the simple advantage that name
>> recognition would help put more people in the seats. After all, isn't that
>> the real premise of this whole remake show?
>>
> But this is a retcon. At one point the resistance was a few people in a
> New York basement then overnight it's an organized world wide movement.

Actually, I remember hearing that it *was* some sort of worldwide
resistance movement, and I remember laughing about how we never saw more
than a handful of its members at any given time. As such, I really don't
think that it's been retconned into a global force. Rather, its
representation suffered some budget cuts in terms of what we saw
onscreen early on. :)

KoshN

Mar 14, 2011, 8:40:44 PM3/14/11
On Mar 12, 3:19 pm, Henry Harrison <hharr.1...@quux.bar.foo> wrote:
> On 12/03/2011 10:43 AM, KoshN wrote:

> >> No it isn't.
>
> > Sure it is.
>
> Perhaps you're not understanding how this interaction is supposed to go.
> Once I have addressed your objections,

Addressed? Ha, you just snip/ignore anything that's counter to your
position that minus these actresses, the shows are equally bad. TSCC
*never* reached and stayed at the level of suckage that the other two
shows have.

> you are supposed to agree with me
> or remain silent, not argue further.

Heh, dream on.

> > Summer Glau was good on TSCC
>
> Which was canceled after two seasons on network television.
>
> > Tricia Helfer was good on BG (2003+)
>
> Which turned into crap after two seasons and only lasted longer because
> it was a cable show.
>
> > Morena Baccarin ... this remake of V
>
> Looks like it will be canceled after two seasons on network television.
>
> Seems equally bad to me. :)

I *have* both seasons of TSCC in my DVD collection. I was following
BG (2003+) via DVD and *had* the miniseries thru Razor and Season 3 in
my DVD collection, but *sold* all of those DVDs because the show got
soooooooooo bad. I dropped watching the remake of V a month or so
ago, because it got so bad, ....despite Baccarin (an actress I like)
being on the show. Obviously, I am not interested in adding the
remake of V to my DVD collection. IMHO, TSCC never got as bad as BG
(2003+) or V (2010-2011).

Therefore, NOT equally bad.

Hunter

Mar 15, 2011, 1:10:43 PM3/15/11
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:14:32 -0500, Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 09:31:32 GMT, Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com> (Hunter)

-----
Well could you? The man is a (ex) priest. It would've been funny if he
had NOT said something like that because of the ramifications
involved. Good thing Erica listened.

Hunter

Mar 15, 2011, 3:04:50 PM3/15/11
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 19:32:53 -0800, Thanatos <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

>In article <4d79e1e2...@news.optonline.net>,
> Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com> (Hunter) wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 18:42:33 -0800, Arthur Lipscomb
>> <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> >Then there's their ridiculous justification for why they don't reveal to
>> >the world what the Vs are really doing since the Vs would then
>> >immediately invade Earth. But now that it's clear that the invasion is
>> >imminent and they need humanity's cooperation for it to go as planned,
>> >now would be a good time to let the world in on the impending invasion.
>> >At least then the world's militarizes could *attempt* to offer some form
>> >of organized coherent (and competent) resistance by people who actually
>> >know what they're doing.
>> -------
>> Really? Know what they are doing? What technology do we have to use
>> against them?
>
>Considering Anna seems to think human cooperation is essential for her
>plan, we could stop cooperating.

------
And she could start blowing things up. The idea is to try to avoid our
civilization destroyed.

>> All would that will be billions killed and virtually
>> all of our civilization destroyed.
>
>Gonna happen anyway if they say nothing.

-------
Not if the destruction can be avoided and the fact we have the
Princess and the former Queen as allies.

>> Real life resistance groups like the Marque started out with people
>> who didn't know what they were doing either.
>
>And the much higher number of incompetent resistance groups throughout
>history were simply never heard from again because... they were really
>bad at their job.

------
And with the V technology the military most likely wouldn't do much
better. Again, try to co opt from within to avoid the deaths of
billions of people first.

>> The resistance whats to avoid that by resisting the Vs from without
>> and within subtly.
>
>When 500+ invasion ships are literally ready to pounce, the time for
>subtlety is over.

-----
And you think we can fight 500 plus ships any more effectively than we
can fight what

>> The best course of action against such overwhelming force is to do
>> what they are doing,
>
>Remind me to not vote for you for human resistance leader, whether we're
>fighting zombies,

-----
Zombies don't have higher brain functions let alone technology that
can wipe out entire cities with a beam of energy.

> terminators
-----
We lost against the terminators. The fight was to go back in time and
prevent it from happening in the first place.

> or aliens.
-----
And in the vast majority of the time we beat them by doing something
subtle, not being able to blow them out of the sky. One time we didn't
beat them at all, but our microbes did. Meanwhile Earth is a
smoldering cinder.

And I won't follow you since you are about as rational as a World War
II Imperial Army soldier making a Samurai sword Banzai charge at US
Marines on Iwo Jima. It will be just as affective.

>> Use those assets first before going to war openly in what would
>> be likely a hopeless fight.
>
> "We will once again fight for our freedom. Not from
> tyranny, persecution or oppression. But from annihilation.
> We're fighting for our right to exist. From this day on,
> the Fourth of July will no longer be remembered as an
> American holiday but as the day that all of mankind
> declared we will not go quietly into the night. We will not
> vanish without a fight. We will live on. We will survive!"

------
How can you survive if you are willing to rush into the teeth of their
technology? Banzai!!!! I'll follow Erica instead of you.

>Now all they need is a Macintosh laptop and a jury-rigged nuke. But get
>Laura off that ship first. She's an alien treasure.

------
Of course if the writers did that in "V" people will say that was
stupid as they did in "Independence Day"

If you want to see battles against aliens straight up look at "Battle:
Los Angeles" with Michelle Rodriquez or its poor bad imitation "Battle
of Los Angeles", with Nia Peebles.

Hunter

Mar 15, 2011, 3:42:44 PM3/15/11
On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 15:02:18 -0500, "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com>
wrote:

-----
Of course it does. One it is an accurate reflection of what was
actually said and two, can any one live with that decision if they are
wrong?

I know the shtick of the author is to make "V" look dumb but so far I
wrong either because he missed the explanation or doesn't really know
the subject matter..

I am not saying people should like the show, that is their business,
but if one is going to complain at least be accurate about the
complaints.

Let's see how many viewer errors are there after tonight's episode.
:-)

Jim G.

Mar 15, 2011, 5:37:21 PM3/15/11

Hunter (Hunter) sent the following on 3/15/2011 2:42 PM:
> -----
> Of course it does. One it is an accurate reflection of what was
> actually said and two, can any one live with that decision if they are
> wrong?

Think about it, Hunter. If she's wrong, she's gonna be among the dead,
which means that "Can you live with that?" is a stupid question to ask.

> I know the shtick of the author is to make "V" look dumb but so far I
> wrong either because he missed the explanation or doesn't really know
> the subject matter..

No, 9 times out of 10 you *think* that you've countered the complaint,
but you're just wanking. Most of the complaints on r.a.t. are entirely
legitimate, even if there's a lot of piling on going on.

> I am not saying people should like the show, that is their business,
> but if one is going to complain at least be accurate about the
> complaints.

Anyone calling this a stupid question on Jack's part is being entirely
accurate.

Hunter

Mar 15, 2011, 6:12:02 PM3/15/11
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:15:39 -0500, Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 01:05:00 GMT, Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com> (Hunter)
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 13:31:29 -0500, Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>This may be one of the top ten lines of all time:
>>>
>>>Scene: Fifth Column leadership is standing around the Blue Energy
>>>reactor, having infiltrated all security without being detected in a
>>>spur-of-the-moment decision. (Method of avoiding detection was basically
>>>to duck while running.)
>>-----
>>That is because Ryan took out a couple Visitor guards ahead of them.
>>He laid out about two of them. Plus they were running inside of some
>>metal conduit pipes. And of course they already got the code for the
>>reactor building itself.
>
>You do realize the implications of becoming the resident apologist for V?

-----
Just reporting accurately what happened since it seems no one else
can.

Thanatos

Mar 15, 2011, 10:01:40 PM3/15/11
In article <4d7fb83a...@news.optonline.net>,
Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com> (Hunter) wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 19:32:53 -0800, Thanatos <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <4d79e1e2...@news.optonline.net>,
> > Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com> (Hunter) wrote:

> >> Really? Know what they are doing? What technology do we have to use
> >> against them?
> >
> >Considering Anna seems to think human cooperation is essential for her
> >plan, we could stop cooperating.
> ------
> And she could start blowing things up. The idea is to try to avoid our
> civilization destroyed.

At least then everyone would know where they stood and the V's plan to
mate with everyone (or whatever the heck they're up to-- I don't really
understand it anymore) will be scuttled.

> >> All would that will be billions killed and virtually
> >> all of our civilization destroyed.
> >
> >Gonna happen anyway if they say nothing.
> -------
> Not if the destruction can be avoided and the fact we have the
> Princess and the former Queen as allies.

The Visitors don't seem to give much esteem to "future" or "former"
anything. They only seem to worship and obey the queen. Not the
queen-to-be or the queen-that-was. And neither Diana nor Lisa seem to
have any special intelligence that could be very helpful.

> >> The resistance whats to avoid that by resisting the Vs from without
> >> and within subtly.
> >
> >When 500+ invasion ships are literally ready to pounce, the time for
> >subtlety is over.
> -----
> And you think we can fight 500 plus ships any more effectively than we
> can fight what

Whatever they do, it would be a lot more effective than running around
ducking behind pipes and konking individual lizards on the head.

> >> The best course of action against such overwhelming force is to do
> >> what they are doing,
> >
> >Remind me to not vote for you for human resistance leader, whether we're
> >fighting zombies,
> -----
> Zombies don't have higher brain functions let alone technology that
> can wipe out entire cities with a beam of energy.

It still would be a desperate survival situation and you haven't really
shown aptitude at tactical or strategic decision-making.

> > terminators

> We lost against the terminators. The fight was to go back in time and
> prevent it from happening in the first place.

Nope. The humans had won the war. Reese says so in the first movie:

REESE
There was one man who taught us to fight. To storm the wire of the
camps, to smash those metal motherfuckers into junk. He turned it
around. He brought us back from the brink.

SILBERMAN
I see. And this... computer... thinks it can win by killing the mother
of its enemy, killing him, in effect, before he is even conceived? A
sort of retroactive abortion?

REESE
Yes. It had no choice. The defensive grid was smashed. We'd taken the
mainframes. We'd won. Taking out Connor then would make no difference.

> > or aliens.

> And in the vast majority of the time we beat them by doing something
> subtle, not being able to blow them out of the sky. One time we didn't
> beat them at all, but our microbes did. Meanwhile Earth is a
> smoldering cinder.

Better to die on your feet than serve on your knees.

> And I won't follow you since you are about as rational as a World War
> II Imperial Army soldier making a Samurai sword Banzai charge at US
> Marines on Iwo Jima. It will be just as affective.

"We will not go quietly into the night. We will not vanish without a
fight!"

Hunter's version of this impassioned speech to rally the troops will be:

"We're not going to fight for our survival. We're going to hide in holes
and work subtlely from within and hope for the best while they rain fire
down on our heads! Now who's with me?"

> >> Use those assets first before going to war openly in what would
> >> be likely a hopeless fight.
> >
> > "We will once again fight for our freedom. Not from
> > tyranny, persecution or oppression. But from annihilation.
> > We're fighting for our right to exist. From this day on,
> > the Fourth of July will no longer be remembered as an
> > American holiday but as the day that all of mankind
> > declared we will not go quietly into the night. We will not
> > vanish without a fight. We will live on. We will survive!"
> ------
> How can you survive if you are willing to rush into the teeth of their
> technology? Banzai!!!! I'll follow Erica instead of you.

Not me. She's way too caught up in saving her kid from Anna. Her
personal agenda frequently takes precedence over everything else. Not
exactly a great quality in a leader. And the fact that everyone in her
cell knows this and just lets it happen makes them all incompetent at
what they're supposedly trying to do.

> >Now all they need is a Macintosh laptop and a jury-rigged nuke. But get
> >Laura off that ship first. She's an alien treasure.
> ------
> Of course if the writers did that in "V" people will say that was
> stupid as they did in "Independence Day"
>
> If you want to see battles against aliens straight up look at "Battle:
> Los Angeles" with Michelle Rodriquez

I did. It was a surprisingly good movie. Reminded me a lot of "Blackhawk
Down". The aliens were almost incidental to the story. It was a
straight-up war movie and focused almost entirely on the Marine platoon
doing the fighting. Could have been Somalians or Chinese or Russians on
the other side, didn't really matter.

Ashton Crusher

Mar 16, 2011, 1:29:53 PM3/16/11
wrote:

>This may be one of the top ten lines of all time:
>
>Scene: Fifth Column leadership is standing around the Blue Energy
>reactor, having infiltrated all security without being detected in a
>spur-of-the-moment decision. (Method of avoiding detection was basically

>to duck while running.) (The scientist of the group, after lengthy
>testing and analysis consisting of holding two balls of Blue Energy close
>to each other, has used the complex moethodology of holding two balls of
>blue energy near each other, then throwing them up in the air.)
>
>African-Amercian Lizard Traitor: "You have to stop the process. There are
>two kinds of Blue Energy, "reactive" and "weaponized". This will
>weaponize the Blue Energy and destroy everything within 100 square miles."
>
>Defrocked Priest: "We must stop it. It will kill tens of thousands of
>people." (by destroying "everything within 100 square miles" of Manhattan)
>
>Intrepid Blonde Female Leader: "No. Do not stop it. We must defeat
>Anna."
>
>Defrocked Priest (and honest, I am not making this up): "You realize that
>we are going to have to live with this."

In the most recent episode I've watched they showed them with some
nightvison goggles that had been "reconfigured" to be able to show
"the energy patterns of the V-spaceships. They made a point of saying
how "no human technology can see the V energy patterns". Yet they
were looking at V energy patterns with man made night vision goggles
(reconfigured)!!!!

And if THEY could see all those V ships waiting to invade, why not
reconfigure another dozen goggles and take them to the authorities and
let them look at the mother ships and then the warships hiding in
orbit to convince them the V's were not what they seemed?

Anim8rFSK

Mar 16, 2011, 8:58:36 PM3/16/11
In article <fms1o6pmeppgnrrj2...@4ax.com>,
Ashton Crusher <de...@moore.net> wrote:

Because then the V will invade now. (rolls eyes)

--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"

Henry Harrison

Mar 16, 2011, 11:00:37 PM3/16/11
On 14/03/2011 8:40 PM, KoshN wrote:
> On Mar 12, 3:19 pm, Henry Harrison <hharr.1...@quux.bar.foo> wrote:
>> Perhaps you're not understanding how this interaction is supposed to go.
>> Once I have addressed your objections,
>
> Addressed? Ha, you just snip/ignore anything that's counter to your
> position that minus these actresses, the shows are equally bad.

Classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim. I provided reasons in my
last post.

> TSCC *never* reached and stayed at the level of suckage that the other
> two shows have.

Classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim. If it hadn't, either it
would have lasted longer or V would have been canned after season one
(if not sooner).

>> you are supposed to agree with me
>> or remain silent, not argue further.
>
> Heh, dream on.

What does your dreaming have to do with television, KoshN?

>> Seems equally bad to me. :)
>
> I *have* both seasons of TSCC in my DVD collection. I was following
> BG (2003+) via DVD and *had* the miniseries thru Razor and Season 3 in
> my DVD collection, but *sold* all of those DVDs because the show got
> soooooooooo bad. I dropped watching the remake of V a month or so
> ago, because it got so bad, ....despite Baccarin (an actress I like)
> being on the show. Obviously, I am not interested in adding the
> remake of V to my DVD collection. IMHO, TSCC never got as bad as BG
> (2003+) or V (2010-2011).
>
> Therefore, NOT equally bad.

"This is my opinion, therefore you are wrong"? Classic illogic, KoshN.
Your opinion proves nothing about the shows; it only can inform us about
you.

Hunter

Mar 24, 2011, 6:34:07 AM3/24/11
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:37:21 -0500, "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com>
wrote:

-----
True enough that one was correct unless he meant on Cloud 9. But that
was one out of

>> I know the shtick of the author is to make "V" look dumb but so far I
>> wrong either because he missed the explanation or doesn't really know
>> the subject matter..
>
>No, 9 times out of 10 you *think* that you've countered the complaint,
>but you're just wanking. Most of the complaints on r.a.t. are entirely
>legitimate, even if there's a lot of piling on going on.

-----
No 9 times out of 10 I have because I usually back up why I think that
if only simply rewatching the the scene in question. That in and of
itself clears up sixty percent of the alleged "stupidity" in an
episode of any show since people simply don't go back and look at it
again. Most of the other times that a person doesn't know the subject
matter in question. Now by no means I am an expert in anything but at
least I take the time to look it up before I bitch.

The fuel air explosive question on whether a fuel air bomb come in
various sizes that was sparked by "The Walking Dead" season finale
episode is an example. Everyone thought that was so dumb because they
thought that a fuel air bomb comes in only one size and that it was
too powerful to use to demolish and sanitize the CDC head quarters. Lo
and behold some research on the net showed they come in as small as a
rocket propelled grenade and perhaps a hand grenade. With that and
lots of experiences like that over the years I stop and look before I
jump on the band wagon.

Again I know it is shtick to point out perceived flaws in a show, but
I think people are so quick to find fault they don't bother to check
or see there is an alternate explanation.

I have different philosophical approach I have to TV shows. I can go
into it in detail but it boils down to two things: I assume the
writers are right until proven otherwise; and If I find something
suspicious I rewatch the scene and/or do research. And that is what I
do with those I criticize a scene. I rewatch the scene. If they are
right I agree with them, if not, as I have found most of the time they
aren't right I say so. Why let a misrepresentation of a scene hang out
there?

At the very least rewatch the scene before passing judgment, because
most of the time that is what I do.

>> I am not saying people should like the show, that is their business,
>> but if one is going to complain at least be accurate about the
>> complaints.
>
>Anyone calling this a stupid question on Jack's part is being entirely
>accurate.
>
>--
>Jim G.
>Waukesha, WI

--------
As I said I can give you that one but the other complaints in the
original poster's comments can easily be usually explained by
rewatching the scenes in question. That's all I do most of the time
and post about it. All my "wanking" is based on what was shown in the
show and/or real life situations. I even found a real life version of
the plane belly landing in the desert in "The Event". :-)

Again I am not saying that the writers don't make mistakes they do. I
am saying most of the time from my experience checking up, most of the
perceived writer's mistakes are mistakes by the viewer-call it
80%-because they missed "it" (some explanation for the scene/thing)
forgot it, misinterpreted it, or don't know the subject (police
procedure etc.) or is dramatic license (sound in space and such).

Simply rewatching the scene will clear up 90% of it I think.
Especially those who live to rag on a show. :-)

Jim G.

Mar 24, 2011, 6:20:32 PM3/24/11

Hunter (Hunter) sent the following on 3/24/2011 5:34 AM:

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:37:21 -0500, "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hunter (Hunter) sent the following on 3/15/2011 2:42 PM:
>>> I know the shtick of the author is to make "V" look dumb but so far I
>>> wrong either because he missed the explanation or doesn't really know
>>> the subject matter..
>>
>> No, 9 times out of 10 you *think* that you've countered the complaint,
>> but you're just wanking. Most of the complaints on r.a.t. are entirely
>> legitimate, even if there's a lot of piling on going on.
> -----
> No 9 times out of 10 I have because I usually back up why I think that
> if only simply rewatching the the scene in question.

No, you use a lot of guesswork, and you use words like "probably" a lot.
For example, there's "probably" been someone in the real world who has
done something equally stupid to what we see onscreen, and things like
that. That's why you have the rep as a wanker.

> That in and of
> itself clears up sixty percent of the alleged "stupidity" in an
> episode of any show since people simply don't go back and look at it
> again. Most of the other times that a person doesn't know the subject
> matter in question. Now by no means I am an expert in anything but at
> least I take the time to look it up before I bitch.
>
> The fuel air explosive question on whether a fuel air bomb come in
> various sizes that was sparked by "The Walking Dead" season finale
> episode is an example. Everyone thought that was so dumb because they
> thought that a fuel air bomb comes in only one size and that it was
> too powerful to use to demolish and sanitize the CDC head quarters. Lo
> and behold some research on the net showed they come in as small as a
> rocket propelled grenade and perhaps a hand grenade.

And as I explained to you at the time, your logic failed, as it was
comparable to noting the limited damage potential of a suitcase nuke and
extrapolating from that to suggest that Hiroshima and Nagasaki shouldn't
have been cratered the way they were. And while both Little Boy and a
modest suitcase nuke are both made with nuclear materials, it's not as
if Little Boy could have been set up to just make a little noise and
light when it dropped over Hiroshima.

> With that and
> lots of experiences like that over the years I stop and look before I
> jump on the band wagon.
>
> Again I know it is shtick to point out perceived flaws in a show, but
> I think people are so quick to find fault they don't bother to check
> or see there is an alternate explanation.
>
> I have different philosophical approach I have to TV shows. I can go
> into it in detail but it boils down to two things: I assume the
> writers are right until proven otherwise; and If I find something
> suspicious I rewatch the scene and/or do research. And that is what I
> do with those I criticize a scene. I rewatch the scene. If they are
> right I agree with them, if not, as I have found most of the time they
> aren't right I say so. Why let a misrepresentation of a scene hang out
> there?

Your re-watching is biased, to say the least, and it's based on your
admitted tendency to assume that the writers are right until proven
otherwise. Another perfect example is from early on in THE EVENT when
you wanked the fact that, in reality, there was no way that Sean could
have changed clothes in the hospital and left the room in the time it
took the authorities to walk two steps or so.

I consider myself to be pretty fair when it comes to not assuming the
worst in the writers, but that doesn't mean that I'm gonna assume the
best, either. And in the cases of the thermobaric bomb and Sean, the
quick change artist and Jack's "Can you live with yourself?", the
writers were stupid in all three cases. And I'm hard-pressed to think of
any *specific* complaints that anyone has made about a script or a plot
that wasn't a legitimate one, your attempts at wanking the problem
notwithstanding.

Mason Barge

Mar 25, 2011, 3:22:05 PM3/25/11
On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 17:20:32 -0500, "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com> wrote:

>Hunter (Hunter) sent the following on 3/24/2011 5:34 AM:
[...]

>Your re-watching is biased, to say the least, and it's based on your
>admitted tendency to assume that the writers are right until proven
>otherwise.

Dude -- everyone realizes Hunter has somehow gotten this weird emotional
commitment to being V's apologist. He's really an okay guy in general and
seems, otherwise, reasonably intelligent.

solarr

Mar 25, 2011, 3:33:29 PM3/25/11
Hi Mason,

On Mar 25, 2:22 pm, Mason Barge <masonba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 17:20:32 -0500, "Jim G." <jimgy...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hunter (Hunter) sent the following on 3/24/2011 5:34 AM:
> [...]
>
> >Your re-watching is biased, to say the least, and it's based on your
> >admitted tendency to assume that the writers are right until proven
> >otherwise.
>
> Dude -- everyone realizes Hunter has somehow gotten this weird emotional
> commitment to being V's apologist.  He's really an okay guy in general and
> seems, otherwise, reasonably intelligent.

And not just "V". As I said on some other thread, Hunter has the most
well-developed sense of the "willing suspension of disbelief" that I
have ever come across. ;-)

-/< /\ />-

KoshN

Mar 25, 2011, 3:44:36 PM3/25/11
Hmm, a March 2011, 84 post newbie. Standard Seamus bullshit
rhetoric. Go away nym changing troll.

Obveeus

Mar 25, 2011, 3:52:52 PM3/25/11

This is why I figured that 'Hunter' was 'Rob Jensen' with a new screenname.

solarr

Mar 25, 2011, 4:22:24 PM3/25/11
Hi Obveeus,

On Mar 25, 2:52 pm, "Obveeus" <Obve...@aol.com> wrote:

Wasn't that they guy that used to do all the LOST reviews? Or was
that Doc Jensen? ;-)

-/< /\ />-

Obveeus

Mar 25, 2011, 4:41:15 PM3/25/11

I didn't read very many LOST threads, but Jensen had the same 'unique' way
of interpretting shows that Hunter does. I'm just going to continue to
assume that it is the same person.

Your Reckoning

Mar 25, 2011, 6:59:32 PM3/25/11
On Mar 25, 3:44 pm, KoshN <macthevor...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hmm, a March 2011, 84 post newbie.

What does that have to do with television, KoshN?

> Standard Seamus bullshit rhetoric.

Who is "Seamus", KoshN? There is nobody in this newsgroup using that
alias.

> Go away nym changing troll.

Who is "nym changing troll", KoshN? There is nobody in this newsgroup
using that alias.