What Did You Watch? 2016-12-18 (Sunday)

Ubiquitous

Dec 19, 2016, 5:33:59 AM12/19/16
I watched:

RING OF HONOR

TCM UNDERGROUND:
"Kiss of the Tarantua". Low-budget tale about an undertaker's vengeful
daughter, who raises spiders.

TCM UNDERGROUND:
"Alice, Sweet Alice". TMC UNDERGROUND:
"Alice Sweet Alice". After Brook Shields is killed at her first
Communion, suspicion falls on Alice, her sister.

PLANET OF THE APES:
"Escape from Tomorrow". Hurled eons into the future by a time warp,
Burke and Virdon become fugitives from a hostile race of intelligent
apes who now control Earth.

THE LOVE BOAT:
"A Christmas Presence". Mickey Rooney is an angel or elf or something
Xmas and magical who meddles in the lives of some Mexican orphans,
Donny Osmond and Marcia Brady (who want to adopt one), and a couple
thieves who stole some gold disguised as tacky nativity scene figures.
I didn't watch it all but I am sure I recapped it before.

THE LOVE BOAT:
This is another one I saw before. I just realized I don't think they
don't schedule cruises during Xmas.
• "Santa, Santa, Santa". Three Santas are accidentally scheduled to
play Santa on the ship so Stubing pits them against each other for the
part. Wouldn't you want more than one Santa onboard that huge ship?
• "Another Dog Gone Christmas". A washed-up vaudville guy gets a pity
part in the ship's Xmas show. Hmm, that guy's vox sounds very
familiar. I want to say he was in a cartoon...
• "Noel's Christmas Carol". For some reason a vaguely-familiar woman
thought it would be better to trick her mother into thinking she was
getting married to Ace than to her real finance.

THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA:
I barely watched because I'm tired of Phaedra's involvement with the
Nation of Islam and Black Lies Matter while she cries crocodile tears
about the plight of the poor oppressed black man, conveniently timed
with an alleged client of hers going to visit her immediately after
being released from prison to tell her about his new CD which was "the
bomb" and "going to blow up the music charts" but went to the wrong
office, triggering the bomb squad to investigate a bomb threat.
Yeah, right. Kenya once again is provoking people then acting like
she's the victim when things reach a boiling point. All these women do
is "shade" each other behind each others' backs and it's getting
beyond tedious.

FAMILY GUY:
"Road To India". Brian falls for a tech-support worker in India, so he
and Stewie shove off to find her. Meanwhile, Joe takes Peter to bingo
night, where he becomes the center of attention and Lois must step in
to help Joe reclaim the top spot with the group. OK, I did enjoy
seeing douchebag Brian get mauled by a tiger.

What did you watch?

--
Crooked Hillary demands a vote recount--except in states she barely
won. Apparently, those were accurately tabulated.

Obveeus

Dec 19, 2016, 8:40:09 AM12/19/16
I watched:

CRAZYHEAD: The last 4 episodes of the first season of this K series on
Netflix. The season continued to play out as comedy as the two female
protagonists fought the demons trying to bring about the end of the
world. Along the way there were too many golden shower references. I
feel bad for Tony Curran (Datak Tarr on DEFIANCE) as this role was a
big step down for him. Beyond that, the humor never really got very
good and the season was mediocre.

STAR WARS ROGUE ONE: This movie brings back the STAR WARS sound so
well, both in terms of the instrumental accompaniments and the sound
effect of various ships and such flying by. The sound along immerses
the viewer back into this imaginary world that has now entertained us
for about 40 years. In the past 7 films the robots have largely been
comic relief. That is still true in this film, but the comedy is aimed
at adults instead of 12 year olds. That was a much appreciated
improvement, for me. This film, as with REVENGE OF THE SITH, does an
excellent job of meshing together questions/problems people had about
the earlier works. I saw it in 2D and didn't notice any reason to see
it in 3D. The film looks good throughout a fully realized set of visual
worlds. The characters are overshadowed by the story, but maybe that is
as it should be both in terms of building the larger universe and in
terms of preserving the idea of the underdog's struggle.

THE FRONTIER: A 2015 mystery crime film starring Kelly Lynch, Jim
Beaver, and Jocelin Donahue. The odd mix of improbable characters
thrown together as partners/adversaries was so ridiculous that I was
thinking that this film must be trying to channel a B-movie from the 50s
or maybe TWILIGHT ZONE...and then one of the characters even pointed out
that the situation felt like something out of TWILIGHT ZONE. The
writing is bad throughout and the acting is very stage-y and seems like
much of it was done in a single take. The film is snarkable, but not good.

What did you watch?

Ian J. Ball

Dec 19, 2016, 9:09:21 AM12/19/16
On 2016-12-19 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

I spent pretty much of all yesterday trying to wrap up some of my
grading for the year, so not much:

NFL football - The Chargers choke. Again. And it mostly confirms what I
knew the day after Election Day - the Chargers are leaving San Diego.
(ComicCon surely won't be far behind...)

The Big Bang Theory - A mostly tedious episode in which Sheldon decides
he wants to make a baby, and Raj hits on... Alex Russo's *mother*?!?!!

The Great Indoors (recorded and OnDemand) - I thought ep. #4, "You
Don't Know Jack" was the better of the two - the Millennials help Jack
clean out his storage locker and discover some things about the man.
The second episode, "No Bad Ideas", should have been better than it
was - Jack is forced to take "sensitivity" training to learn how to
deal with Millennials (more brutal satire of Millennials present!!),
and then is forced to be shadowed by HR when dealing with Clark.
(Amusingly, Tricia O'Kelley shows up as Clark's Mom...)

The Librarians (recorded) - "And the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy". Another
largely "bottle" episode (and a "Baird" episode to boot), fortunaely
this one was a lot better than the earlier "And the Fangs of Death"
episode: a supernatural assassin has been sent to kill Baird, and she
must avoid the prophecy of her death.

I then watched (at least parts) of a couple of Hallmark flicks: "Sleigh
Bells Ring" and "A Christmas to Remember". The former was slight, and I
mostly didn't care for it; the latter looks like it might have had some
promise - I may try and watch the whole thing later...

--
"His compassion killed him." - Dr. Sabine Lommers, in

anim8rfsk

Dec 19, 2016, 9:40:37 AM12/19/16
In article <o38nt0$j61$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> I watched:
>
> CRAZYHEAD: The last 4 episodes of the first season of this K series on
> Netflix. The season continued to play out as comedy as the two female
> protagonists fought the demons trying to bring about the end of the
> world. Along the way there were too many golden shower references. I
> feel bad for Tony Curran (Datak Tarr on DEFIANCE) as this role was a
> big step down for him. Beyond that, the humor never really got very
> good and the season was mediocre.

The Netflix tried to sell me that last night, but it didn't sound very
interesting.

I also found that items added to my list from a browser never actually
add. The + sign pop up changes from 'add' to 'adding' but never gets
further than that, which explains why they don't show up on the Plasma

Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Arthur Lipscomb

Dec 19, 2016, 9:58:41 AM12/19/16
On 12/19/2016 5:40 AM, Obveeus wrote:
> I watched:
>
> CRAZYHEAD: The last 4 episodes of the first season of this K series on
> Netflix. The season continued to play out as comedy as the two female
> protagonists fought the demons trying to bring about the end of the
> world. Along the way there were too many golden shower references. I
> feel bad for Tony Curran (Datak Tarr on DEFIANCE) as this role was a
> big step down for him. Beyond that, the humor never really got very
> good and the season was mediocre.
>
> STAR WARS ROGUE ONE: This movie brings back the STAR WARS sound so
> well, both in terms of the instrumental accompaniments and the sound
> effect of various ships and such flying by. The sound along immerses
> the viewer back into this imaginary world that has now entertained us
> for about 40 years. In the past 7 films the robots have largely been
> comic relief. That is still true in this film, but the comedy is aimed
> at adults instead of 12 year olds. That was a much appreciated
> improvement, for me. This film, as with REVENGE OF THE SITH, does an
> excellent job of meshing together questions/problems people had about
> the earlier works. I saw it in 2D and didn't notice any reason to see
> it in 3D.

You can't really tell from a 2D print if a movie is "worth" (although
I'm not 100% sure what that means) seeing in 3D especially since
nowadays almost all of the 3D effects are depth instead of flying out of
the screen. I've watched Rogue One twice now both times in 3D. The
first viewing the 3D was occasionally off and I think it was because my
seat was off to the side. I almost saw it in 2D for the second viewing
but made a last minute decision to see it again in 3D. On the second
viewing the 3D was flawless and well "worth" it.

The film looks good throughout a fully realized set of visual
> worlds.

I bet they'd look really nice in 3D! ;-)

The characters are overshadowed by the story, but maybe that is
> as it should be both in terms of building the larger universe and in
> terms of preserving the idea of the underdog's struggle.

This movie really makes me want to rewatch A New Hope immediately after.

> THE FRONTIER: A 2015 mystery crime film starring Kelly Lynch, Jim
> Beaver, and Jocelin Donahue. The odd mix of improbable characters
> thrown together as partners/adversaries was so ridiculous that I was
> thinking that this film must be trying to channel a B-movie from the 50s
> or maybe TWILIGHT ZONE...and then one of the characters even pointed out
> that the situation felt like something out of TWILIGHT ZONE. The
> writing is bad throughout and the acting is very stage-y and seems like
> much of it was done in a single take. The film is snarkable, but not good.
>
> What did you watch?

The Oa (Netflix streaming) - I finished the first episode and the next
two episodes afterwards. As everyone has said the first episode
undergoes a major storyline shift after about 70 minutes in. I had
assumed that meant aliens but I was wrong. I won't spoil what actually
happens but it definitely got my attention. I can't say it actually got
better or good but it has been firmly holding my attention so I guess
I'm stuck seeing this thing through to the end.

Elementary - "Pick Your Poison" - An investigation into Watson writing
fake prescriptions quickly turns into a murder investigation. OK episode.

Shameless - "Requiem for a Slut" - A lackluster season finale where the
family deals with their mother's death.

Doctor Who: The Power of the Daleks - Epsiode 5. I have no memory of
what happened. It was mostly background noise.

Inglourious Basterds (blu-ray) - Quentin Tarantino WWII movie written
staring Brad Pitt as the leader of a group of American commandos sent
into Germany to beat fear (using a baseball bat) into the German
soldiers. Christoph Waltz also stars as a Nazi who matches wits with
Pitt and always seems to be one step ahead. A bit long due to
Tarantino's love of long dialogue scenes but otherwise holds up very
well. I particularly loved a scene when Pitt's team has to infiltrate a
Nazi party and since they don't speak German they pretend to be
Italians. Unfortunately not only can they not speak Italian either,
Waltz's character speaks it fluently. Watching team Pitt squirm as the
only thing they can say is their names was LOL funny.

Obveeus

Dec 19, 2016, 10:16:26 AM12/19/16

On 12/19/2016 9:09 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2016-12-19 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> I spent pretty much of all yesterday trying to wrap up some of my
> grading for the year,

Wow, you wrap the grades for Christmas...how sweet.

> NFL football - The Chargers choke. Again. And it mostly confirms what I
> knew the day after Election Day - the Chargers are leaving San Diego.

Several teams blew it at the end in games that would have helped the
Steelers towards the playoffs. I actually felt good about not seeing
any of it live.

Obveeus

Dec 19, 2016, 10:19:45 AM12/19/16
Sounds like your plasma has caught something from your DVR.

Obveeus

Dec 19, 2016, 10:20:49 AM12/19/16

On 12/19/2016 9:58 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
>> STAR WARS ROGUE ONE:
> The film looks good throughout a fully realized set of visual
>> worlds.
>
> I bet they'd look really nice in 3D! ;-)

...or it would be like most 3D films and give a *very*
artificial/layered result that looks much worse to the eye than 2D.

Dimensional Traveler

Dec 19, 2016, 10:49:59 AM12/19/16
Are you using Javascript or something similar? If so you may have to
tell it to allow the script to run.

--
Running the rec.arts.TV Channels Watched Survey.
Winter 2016 survey began Dec 01 and will end Feb 28

Ian J. Ball

Dec 19, 2016, 11:12:42 AM12/19/16
On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 6:58:41 AM UTC-8, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:

> On 12/19/2016 5:40 AM, Obveeus wrote:
> > I watched:

I just saw most of the original "Star Wars" on TeeVee recently - my brother was right: prepare to be disappointed... :(

anim8rfsk

Dec 19, 2016, 12:22:25 PM12/19/16
In article <o38vge$e87$1...@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> On 12/19/2016 6:40 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <o38nt0$j61$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I watched:
> >>
> >> CRAZYHEAD: The last 4 episodes of the first season of this K series on
> >> Netflix. The season continued to play out as comedy as the two female
> >> protagonists fought the demons trying to bring about the end of the
> >> world. Along the way there were too many golden shower references. I
> >> feel bad for Tony Curran (Datak Tarr on DEFIANCE) as this role was a
> >> big step down for him. Beyond that, the humor never really got very
> >> good and the season was mediocre.
> >
> > The Netflix tried to sell me that last night, but it didn't sound very
> > interesting.
> >
> > I also found that items added to my list from a browser never actually
> > add. The + sign pop up changes from 'add' to 'adding' but never gets
> > further than that, which explains why they don't show up on the Plasma
> >
> Are you using Javascript or something similar? If so you may have to
> tell it to allow the script to run.

All I'm doing is clicking a button on their website in a browser. Since
it actually changes from "add" to "adding" but never gets to "added" I'm
going to assume that it's their problem and not mine.

anim8rfsk

Dec 19, 2016, 12:22:38 PM12/19/16
In article <o38tnp$8j7$3...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
Heh, no, adding on the Plasma works.

anim8rfsk

Dec 19, 2016, 12:23:25 PM12/19/16
In article <o38sg8$4uj$1...@dont-email.me>,
As opposed to watching STAR WARS? (Serious question)

anim8rfsk

Dec 19, 2016, 12:24:14 PM12/19/16
In article <3265a54f-d167-4a60...@googlegroups.com>,
Star Wars, or the "Episode 4 A New Hope" rehash?

Ian J. Ball

Dec 19, 2016, 12:40:07 PM12/19/16
It was definitely the "fiddled" version with the new CGI effects.

I would definitely like to see a completely "unfiddled" version from 1977 again one of these days... >:\

Obveeus

Dec 19, 2016, 1:02:52 PM12/19/16
So which device is broken? Does it have a fruity logo on it?

anim8rfsk

Dec 19, 2016, 1:28:05 PM12/19/16
In article <o3979k$gnl$3...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
lol

Michael Black

Dec 19, 2016, 1:33:49 PM12/19/16
On Mon, 19 Dec 2016, Ubiquitous wrote:

> I watched:
>
> RING OF HONOR
>
> TCM UNDERGROUND:
> "Kiss of the Tarantua". Low-budget tale about an undertaker's vengeful
> daughter, who raises spiders.
>
> TCM UNDERGROUND:
> "Alice, Sweet Alice". TMC UNDERGROUND:
> "Alice Sweet Alice". After Brook Shields is killed at her first
> Communion, suspicion falls on Alice, her sister.
>
> PLANET OF THE APES:
> "Escape from Tomorrow". Hurled eons into the future by a time warp,
> Burke and Virdon become fugitives from a hostile race of intelligent
> apes who now control Earth.
>
> THE LOVE BOAT:
> "A Christmas Presence". Mickey Rooney is an angel or elf or something
> Xmas and magical who meddles in the lives of some Mexican orphans,
> Donny Osmond and Marcia Brady (who want to adopt one), and a couple
> thieves who stole some gold disguised as tacky nativity scene figures.
> I didn't watch it all but I am sure I recapped it before.

There were three Christmas episodes yesterday of The Love Boat. The first
was 2 hours, then two hour long ones. I saw no mermaids.

I watched most of the first one, tuning out at times. John Byner was on,
hired to play Santa Claus, a real hardluck story coming with him. Oddly,
he played a down on his luck guy in "The Man in the Santa Claus Suit", who
ends up doing better because he rented a Santa Claus suit. There were
some other stories, but I forget now.

The one with Mickey Rooney seemed like "The Man in the Santa Claus Suit",
where Fred Astaire rented the suits, but also seemed to intervene in
people's lives in other ways. Marcia looked good in that one, but Donny
seemed like he was trying to look older with the mustache and goatee or
whatever.

> THE LOVE BOAT:
> This is another one I saw before. I just realized I don't think they
> don't schedule cruises during Xmas.
> ? "Santa, Santa, Santa". Three Santas are accidentally scheduled to
> play Santa on the ship so Stubing pits them against each other for the
> part. Wouldn't you want more than one Santa onboard that huge ship?
> ? "Another Dog Gone Christmas". A washed-up vaudville guy gets a pity
> part in the ship's Xmas show. Hmm, that guy's vox sounds very
> familiar. I want to say he was in a cartoon...
> ? "Noel's Christmas Carol". For some reason a vaguely-familiar woman
> thought it would be better to trick her mother into thinking she was
> getting married to Ace than to her real finance.

I skipped this one completely.

Michael

anim8rfsk

Dec 19, 2016, 2:26:46 PM12/19/16
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Dec 2016, Ubiquitous wrote:
>
> > I watched:
> >
> > RING OF HONOR
> >
> > TCM UNDERGROUND:
> > "Kiss of the Tarantua". Low-budget tale about an undertaker's vengeful
> > daughter, who raises spiders.
> >
> > TCM UNDERGROUND:
> > "Alice, Sweet Alice". TMC UNDERGROUND:
> > "Alice Sweet Alice". After Brook Shields is killed at her first
> > Communion, suspicion falls on Alice, her sister.
> >
> > PLANET OF THE APES:
> > "Escape from Tomorrow". Hurled eons into the future by a time warp,
> > Burke and Virdon become fugitives from a hostile race of intelligent
> > apes who now control Earth.
> >
> > THE LOVE BOAT:
> > "A Christmas Presence". Mickey Rooney is an angel or elf or something
> > Xmas and magical who meddles in the lives of some Mexican orphans,
> > Donny Osmond and Marcia Brady (who want to adopt one), and a couple
> > thieves who stole some gold disguised as tacky nativity scene figures.
> > I didn't watch it all but I am sure I recapped it before.
> >
> There were three Christmas episodes yesterday of The Love Boat. The first
> was 2 hours, then two hour long ones. I saw no mermaids.

But one of them had a long credit list for "Bikini Girls" featuring Eva
La Rue, Booby Vista from CSI: Horatio!

Dimensional Traveler

Dec 19, 2016, 3:04:36 PM12/19/16
It could be "their" problem in that they are now requiring you have a
certain version or later of your browser. A lot of sites have "updated"
their webpages to only be compatible with the latest versions of FF,
Chrome, IE, etc. for "security" reasons. While the browser suppliers
have nerfed a lot of features and capabilities (as well as killing large
numbers of add-ons and plug-ins) for "security" reasons as well. (Pay
no attention to the fact that all these "security" changes seem to do
nothing to stop the sites' own pop-ups, snooping and gaping security
problems.)

Dimensional Traveler

Dec 19, 2016, 3:08:18 PM12/19/16
There was a DVD release a while back that had both the fiddled and
original theatrical versions of the entire original trilogy.

The "original" versions were letter-boxed SD, so about a third the
resolution of the fiddled versions which were also SD.

anim8rfsk

Dec 19, 2016, 4:27:48 PM12/19/16
In article <055bf480-0ad6-4772...@googlegroups.com>,
It's out there. Let me see if I can find the info on it ...

Here you go. Merry Christmas!

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/watch-new-scan-of-the-original-197
7-35mm-print-of-star-wars-vs-the-official-blu-ray-release-20160218

Watch: New Scan Of An Original 1977 35mm Print Of 'Star Wars' vs. The
Official Blu-ray Release

Kevin Jagernauth
Feb 18, 2016 1:44 pm

For years, fans have pleaded and begged George Lucas to restore and
release the original 1977 theatrical cut of "Star Wars: A New Hope." Of
course, he has refused, even going so far as to say the prints have been
destroyed. However, some very dedicated fans have not only proven that
wrong, they’ve gone ahead and delivered what fans have been asking for.

A group called Team Negative 1 have tracked down a single 35mm print of
"Star Wars: A New Hope," and they’ve carefully scanned each frame,
bringing the film as close to what it was like to have seen it back in
1977. They’re calling it the "Silver Screen Edition." How they got the
print hasn’t been revealed, but as you’ll see in the samples below, the
visual difference is striking when compared to the more saturated,
glossy, and crisp Blu-ray editions of the movie (which are saddled with
Lucas’ endless CGI tinkering). But it should be pointed out this is from
a print, not from the original negative.

READ MORE: Watch: Compare The Changes Made To The Original ‘Star Wars’
Trilogy In This 1 Hour Video Series

This isn’t the first time fans have attempted to restore "Star Wars" and
the original trilogy. The Despecialized Edition versions, among others,
(mostly) did the same, but this is the first from a single print, rather
than multiple sources. Of course, none of this is legal, so it’ll be
interesting to see how 20th Century Fox (who owns the rights to the rest
of the "Star Wars" movies until 2020) reacts, but at least in public
they’ve been quiet.

Check out the comparisons below. According to "Mr. Black" of Team
Negative 1, your mileage on the scan vs. Blu-ray may vary. “We know that
anyone under 30 kind of prefers the clean, sharp, detailed look,” he
told Movie Mezzanine. “Then the older crowd, the retro crowd, is like,
‘give me the grain and give me the matte boxes and give me a little
weave in the picture.’ It’s kind of like CD vs. vinyl. I’m like an old
school vinyl fan.”

Share your thoughts below, and no, we won’t be telling you how to
download this version, but you can find it in certain corners of the
internet. [via Boing Boing]

anim8rfsk

Dec 19, 2016, 4:31:23 PM12/19/16
In article <o39ekq$fp2$2...@dont-email.me>,
Yeah, they pulled them from the laser disc releases.

anim8rfsk

Dec 19, 2016, 4:36:54 PM12/19/16
In article <o39eds$fp2$1...@dont-email.me>,
There's a *lot* of 'upgrade to Chrome' going on. I'd love to know if
Google is bribing or strong arming the companies. There was a post on
The Facebook today about Google Fiber coming to Atlanta - I bet you it
requires Chrome to connect to Al Gore's interweb.

Dimensional Traveler

Dec 19, 2016, 5:38:27 PM12/19/16
I think a lot of it is Firefox shooting itself in the leg. Or slightly
higher. Mozilla not only invalidated a LOT of very popular add-ons for
FF with their changes, they deliberately made it impossible to create
replacements to do the same things. A lot of these add-ons either have
Chrome versions that still work or the EXACT SAME add-on for FF will
work on Chrome. Its gotten an amazing number of people pissed off at
Mozilla.

Michael Black

Dec 19, 2016, 6:38:12 PM12/19/16
I wish I'd seen that, especially see her. That's quite a time before CSI.

SOmetimes I see faces on shows that I think are familiar, but then it
turns out they are someone else.

Michael

anim8rfsk

Dec 19, 2016, 8:01:26 PM12/19/16

anim8rfsk

Dec 19, 2016, 9:09:12 PM12/19/16
In article <o39nea$jpd$1...@dont-email.me>,
I stopped using FF years ago. :\

Arthur Lipscomb

Dec 19, 2016, 9:47:24 PM12/19/16
I said A New Hope to avoid any confusion as to which Star Wars movie.
Plus the word "hope" is used repeatedly throughout the movie as sort of
a theme. The end of Rogue One flows seamlessly into Star Wars AKA
Episode IV AKA "A New Hope." But then if I did re-watch it I'd also
want to watch Empire next and so on.

anim8rfsk

Dec 19, 2016, 10:10:32 PM12/19/16
In article <o3a612$qa8$1...@dont-email.me>,
You failed. :D

> Plus the word "hope" is used repeatedly throughout the movie as sort of
> a theme. The end of Rogue One flows seamlessly into Star Wars AKA
> Episode IV AKA "A New Hope." But then if I did re-watch it I'd also
> want to watch Empire next and so on.

Obveeus

Dec 19, 2016, 10:37:56 PM12/19/16

On 12/19/2016 9:47 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:

> I said A New Hope to avoid any confusion as to which Star Wars movie.
> Plus the word "hope" is used repeatedly throughout the movie as sort of
> a theme. The end of Rogue One flows seamlessly into Star Wars AKA
> Episode IV AKA "A New Hope." But then if I did re-watch it I'd also
> want to watch Empire next and so on.

Careful now, that might get you caught in an infinite loop.

Ubiquitous

Dec 20, 2016, 5:06:35 AM12/20/16
et...@ncf.ca wrote:
>On Mon, 19 Dec 2016, Ubiquitous wrote:

>> I watched:
>>
>> THE LOVE BOAT:
>> "A Christmas Presence". Mickey Rooney is an angel or elf or something
>> Xmas and magical who meddles in the lives of some Mexican orphans,
>> Donny Osmond and Marcia Brady (who want to adopt one), and a couple
>> thieves who stole some gold disguised as tacky nativity scene figures.
>> I didn't watch it all but I am sure I recapped it before.
>>
>There were three Christmas episodes yesterday of The Love Boat. The first
>was 2 hours, then two hour long ones. I saw no mermaids.
>
>I watched most of the first one, tuning out at times. John Byner was on,
>hired to play Santa Claus, a real hardluck story coming with him. Oddly,
>he played a down on his luck guy in "The Man in the Santa Claus Suit", who
>ends up doing better because he rented a Santa Claus suit. There were
>some other stories, but I forget now.

I don't think I ever saw that one!

--
Today, Crooked Hillary lost yet again. This is getting embarrassing.

Bruce Esquibel

Dec 20, 2016, 10:17:14 AM12/20/16
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> The Oa (Netflix streaming) - I finished the first episode and the next
> two episodes afterwards. As everyone has said the first episode
> undergoes a major storyline shift after about 70 minutes in. I had
> assumed that meant aliens but I was wrong. I won't spoil what actually
> happens but it definitely got my attention. I can't say it actually got
> better or good but it has been firmly holding my attention so I guess
> I'm stuck seeing this thing through to the end.

Blah.

The last 10 minutes didn't make a recovery of the plodding and generally
boring first hour. Another teenage angst attempt with do-gooders vs. the
fonzies of whatever make-believe town they live in. I'll give it one star
for the boobs and cinemax quality sex scene but it is one of those "one and
I'm done" shows. My guess, if you are a fan of shows like "Once Upon a
Time", there may be something in it for you.

I do have a question about another Nexflix show someone mentioned on here
(in one of these WDYW threads), it's called 3% (or Three Percent under
certain circumstances).

I crammed it in over the weekend instead of doing something useful like
Christmas shopping and thought for what it was, it was pretty good. It
seemed to be well done for what was obviously low-budget.

There was one scene that bugged me (more the ending which I thought was
weak but tolerable), the bit in the maybe 3rd or 4th episode where the two
girls were being accused of one of them being a plant for the underground
group ("the cause" I think).

WTF was the point of glopping that black jelly-like substance over their
eyes before being escorted to the obvious attic for interrogation?

You mean in this futuristic utopian society they completely ran out of blind
folds and or burlap bags? I mean besides making them look like raccoons
after peeling the gunk off, it didn't seem to have any function otherwise.

I thought there was something more to it, but after going back and watching
that whole sequence a second time, there isn't.

Just stuck me as being a very odd thing.

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

suzeeq

Dec 20, 2016, 10:23:58 AM12/20/16
Or you know, you can just do without the add-ons. I only run a couple
and don't think I'm missing anything by not using more of them.

Obveeus

Dec 20, 2016, 10:40:08 AM12/20/16

On 12/20/2016 10:17 AM, Bruce Esquibel wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> The Oa (Netflix streaming) - I finished the first episode and the next
>> two episodes afterwards. As everyone has said the first episode
>> undergoes a major storyline shift after about 70 minutes in. I had
>> assumed that meant aliens but I was wrong. I won't spoil what actually
>> happens but it definitely got my attention. I can't say it actually got
>> better or good but it has been firmly holding my attention so I guess
>> I'm stuck seeing this thing through to the end.
>
> Blah.
>
> The last 10 minutes didn't make a recovery of the plodding and generally
> boring first hour. Another teenage angst attempt with do-gooders vs. the
> fonzies of whatever make-believe town they live in.

This series is definitely not about teen angst and do-gooders vs. the
fonzies.

> I do have a question about another Nexflix show someone mentioned on here
> (in one of these WDYW threads), it's called 3% (or Three Percent under
> certain circumstances).
>
> I crammed it in over the weekend instead of doing something useful like
> Christmas shopping and thought for what it was, it was pretty good. It
> seemed to be well done for what was obviously low-budget.
>
> There was one scene that bugged me (more the ending which I thought was
> weak but tolerable), the bit in the maybe 3rd or 4th episode where the two
> girls were being accused of one of them being a plant for the underground
> group ("the cause" I think).
>
> WTF was the point of glopping that black jelly-like substance over their
> eyes before being escorted to the obvious attic for interrogation?

Call it their version of a high tech blindfold. Mostly it just served
as yet another reminder that the people running the tests exert full
control over the subjects.

Dimensional Traveler

Dec 20, 2016, 10:45:11 AM12/20/16
Depends on what you want and need to do online.

anim8rfsk

Dec 20, 2016, 1:23:29 PM12/20/16
In article <o38pjo$pkq$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> The Librarians (recorded) - "And the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy". Another
> largely "bottle" episode (and a "Baird" episode to boot), fortunaely
> this one was a lot better than the earlier "And the Fangs of Death"
> episode: a supernatural assassin has been sent to kill Baird, and she
> must avoid the prophecy of her death.

This week's ep was lousy, and totally cemented the format as being
WAREHOUSE 14.

Fortunately next week has Flynn in it again so it should be a good one.

When did Felicia Day get old and haggard?

Dimensional Traveler

Dec 20, 2016, 2:15:24 PM12/20/16
On 12/20/2016 10:23 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <o38pjo$pkq$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> The Librarians (recorded) - "And the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy". Another
>> largely "bottle" episode (and a "Baird" episode to boot), fortunaely
>> this one was a lot better than the earlier "And the Fangs of Death"
>> episode: a supernatural assassin has been sent to kill Baird, and she
>> must avoid the prophecy of her death.
>
> This week's ep was lousy, and totally cemented the format as being
> WAREHOUSE 14.
>
> Fortunately next week has Flynn in it again so it should be a good one.
>
> When did Felicia Day get old and haggard?

Huh? Felicia Day wasn't in the episode.

anim8rfsk

Dec 20, 2016, 2:39:27 PM12/20/16
In article <o3bvtj$rb2$4...@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> On 12/20/2016 10:23 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <o38pjo$pkq$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> The Librarians (recorded) - "And the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy". Another
> >> largely "bottle" episode (and a "Baird" episode to boot), fortunaely
> >> this one was a lot better than the earlier "And the Fangs of Death"
> >> episode: a supernatural assassin has been sent to kill Baird, and she
> >> must avoid the prophecy of her death.
> >
> > This week's ep was lousy, and totally cemented the format as being
> > WAREHOUSE 14.
> >
> > Fortunately next week has Flynn in it again so it should be a good one.
> >
> > When did Felicia Day get old and haggard?
> >
> Huh? Felicia Day wasn't in the episode.

She was in "this week"

Dimensional Traveler

Dec 20, 2016, 3:30:32 PM12/20/16
I haven't watched the latest ep yet and it didn't show up on her
filmography on IMDb when I looked today.

anim8rfsk

Dec 20, 2016, 4:23:06 PM12/20/16
In article <o3c4ad$e7c$1...@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> On 12/20/2016 11:39 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <o3bvtj$rb2$4...@dont-email.me>,
> > Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> >> Huh? Felicia Day wasn't in the episode.
> >
> > She was in "this week"
> >
> I haven't watched the latest ep yet and it didn't show up on her
> filmography on IMDb when I looked today.

Ah.

Well, she was. :)

And she looked old. And haggard. :(

Dimensional Traveler

Dec 20, 2016, 4:56:52 PM12/20/16
Was her character supposed to look old and haggard?

anim8rfsk

Dec 20, 2016, 5:05:20 PM12/20/16
In article <o3c9cb$29i$3...@dont-email.me>,
More like average I'd think.

Obveeus

Dec 20, 2016, 5:58:13 PM12/20/16
This is what happens when a person spends too much time on the internet.

Obveeus

Dec 20, 2016, 6:26:46 PM12/20/16

On 12/19/2016 12:22 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <o38vge$e87$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> On 12/19/2016 6:40 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>>> The Netflix tried to sell me that last night, but it didn't sound very
>>> interesting.
>>>
>>> I also found that items added to my list from a browser never actually
>>> add. The + sign pop up changes from 'add' to 'adding' but never gets
>>> further than that, which explains why they don't show up on the Plasma
>>>
>> Are you using Javascript or something similar? If so you may have to
>> tell it to allow the script to run.
>
> All I'm doing is clicking a button on their website in a browser. Since
> it actually changes from "add" to "adding" but never gets to "added" I'm
> going to assume that it's their problem and not mine.

Did you recently upgrade your Apple product to iOS 10.2? Apparently
Apple's new 'TV App' doesn't work well with lots of stuff and doesn't
interface with Netflix and likely this is completely the fault of Apple
intentionally not making it work with Netflix as a precursor to them
launching their own streaming service. After all, Netflix pretty much
hands out the code to third parties to interface with their catalog at
will (open source).

https://www.thrillist.com/tech/nation/new-apple-tv-app-doesnt-include-netflix

anim8rfsk

Dec 20, 2016, 6:35:18 PM12/20/16
In article <o3ceku$p76$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
No, this is just different systems using different flavors of Safari. I
don't have an Apple TV App.

Obveeus

Dec 20, 2016, 10:30:31 PM12/20/16
Odd. If you didn't upgrade something, I'm not sure why it would
suddenly be acting differently.

anim8rfsk

Dec 20, 2016, 10:51:31 PM12/20/16
In article <o3cstv$pok$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
and simultaneously on multiple systems; this is why I blame them.

Looks like the app works on the iPhone. I added Travelers there, but of
course it won't show up for 3 days yet, so I can't tell if it actually
took. :)

Hmm. There's a new TARZAN AND JANE series coming from The Netflix on
Jan 6.

OMG

"Saved from a plane crash and given upernatural powers, teen Tarzan
joins forces with brave city girl Jane to protect his jungle home from
threats"

With no one anyone ever heard of. I don't even know if it's animated or
what. Well, that just sounds awful.

Got it - ugly, inconsistent art:
http://media.comicbook.com/uploads1/2015/06/tarzan-and-jane-141287.jpg

Obveeus

Dec 20, 2016, 11:02:25 PM12/20/16

On 12/20/2016 10:51 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> Hmm. There's a new TARZAN AND JANE series coming from The Netflix on
> Jan 6.
>
> OMG
>
> "Saved from a plane crash and given upernatural powers, teen Tarzan
> joins forces with brave city girl Jane to protect his jungle home from
> threats"
>
> With no one anyone ever heard of. I don't even know if it's animated or
> what. Well, that just sounds awful.
>
> Got it - ugly, inconsistent art:
> http://media.comicbook.com/uploads1/2015/06/tarzan-and-jane-141287.jpg

The cast looks like a bunch of voice actors (including brothers), but
there is a woman from iZOMBIE and a guy from CONTINUUM. This series
looks like one for the 2-12 crowd, though.

Dimensional Traveler

Dec 20, 2016, 11:50:17 PM12/20/16
Still haven't seen the episode yet but did see some screen captures she
was in. She was NOT old and haggard. She didn't look like a teen but
she hasn't been a teen in mumbly-mumble years so.

anim8rfsk

Dec 21, 2016, 12:01:31 AM12/21/16
In article <o3cupp$v3s$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
This is why the pre-teens hate us.

Jim G.

Dec 21, 2016, 6:44:58 PM12/21/16
Ian J. Ball sent the following on 12/19/2016 at 08:09 AM:
> On 2016-12-19 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> I spent pretty much of all yesterday trying to wrap up some of my
> grading for the year, so not much:
>
> NFL football - The Chargers choke. Again. And it mostly confirms what I
> knew the day after Election Day - the Chargers are leaving San Diego.

I'd be happy to send you the Bears franchise so that Chicago can start
over from scratch.

"I killed Hitler. I think I deserve some pie." -- Dean Winchester,
SUPERNATURAL

Jim G.

Dec 21, 2016, 6:48:15 PM12/21/16
anim8rfsk sent the following on 12/20/2016 at 12:23 PM:
> In article <o38pjo$pkq$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> The Librarians (recorded) - "And the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy". Another
>> largely "bottle" episode (and a "Baird" episode to boot), fortunaely
>> this one was a lot better than the earlier "And the Fangs of Death"
>> episode: a supernatural assassin has been sent to kill Baird, and she
>> must avoid the prophecy of her death.
>
> This week's ep was lousy, and totally cemented the format as being
> WAREHOUSE 14.
>
> Fortunately next week has Flynn in it again so it should be a good one.

Have you had that concussion checked out yet?

> When did Felicia Day get old and haggard?

It happens far too often with pale-skinned redheads, it seems. She's a
mere 37, but looks like she could be a decade older. The outdoor filming
probably did no favors, although Lindy still looked adorable.

Ian J. Ball

Dec 21, 2016, 7:55:37 PM12/21/16
On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 3:44:58 PM UTC-8, Jim G. wrote:

> Ian J. Ball sent the following on 12/19/2016 at 08:09 AM:
> > On 2016-12-19 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
> >
> >> What did you watch?
> >
> > I spent pretty much of all yesterday trying to wrap up some of my
> > grading for the year, so not much:
> >
> > NFL football - The Chargers choke. Again. And it mostly confirms what I
> > knew the day after Election Day - the Chargers are leaving San Diego.
>
> I'd be happy to send you the Bears franchise so that Chicago can start
> over from scratch.

At this point, I'd take the Bears - at least they're a bona fide NFL team with a legitimate history behind them... :(

anim8rfsk

Dec 21, 2016, 9:20:38 PM12/21/16
In article <o3f497$a49$1...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rfsk sent the following on 12/20/2016 at 12:23 PM:
> > In article <o38pjo$pkq$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> The Librarians (recorded) - "And the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy". Another
> >> largely "bottle" episode (and a "Baird" episode to boot), fortunaely
> >> this one was a lot better than the earlier "And the Fangs of Death"
> >> episode: a supernatural assassin has been sent to kill Baird, and she
> >> must avoid the prophecy of her death.
> >
> > This week's ep was lousy, and totally cemented the format as being
> > WAREHOUSE 14.
> >
> > Fortunately next week has Flynn in it again so it should be a good one.
>
> Have you had that concussion checked out yet?
>
> > When did Felicia Day get old and haggard?
>
> It happens far too often with pale-skinned redheads, it seems. She's a
> mere 37, but looks like she could be a decade older. The outdoor filming
> probably did no favors, although Lindy still looked adorable.

Ah, I wasn't able to find her age. I thought she was a little younger
than that, but I agree, she could easily pass for 50.

Dimensional Traveler

Dec 22, 2016, 12:47:34 AM12/22/16
I finally had the time to watch the episode this evening. I'd say her
character _was_ supposed to be haggard and worn from working as an
underpaid waitress.

Jim G.

Dec 23, 2016, 8:15:57 PM12/23/16
Ian J. Ball sent the following on 12/21/2016 at 06:55 PM:
The way that they've been playing in recent years, you're being very
generous there.

Jim G.

Dec 23, 2016, 8:25:02 PM12/23/16
anim8rfsk sent the following on 12/21/2016 at 08:20 PM:
She just doesn't look very healthy and is another one I wouldn't be
surprised to learn is a heavy smoker. Certain people just seem to have
that look about them. At the same time, she could be very
health-conscious and just stuck with some bad genes.

Jim G.

Dec 23, 2016, 8:29:46 PM12/23/16
Dimensional Traveler sent the following on 12/21/2016 at 11:47 PM:
> On 12/21/2016 6:20 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> In article <o3f497$a49$1...@dont-email.me>,
>> "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> anim8rfsk sent the following on 12/20/2016 at 12:23 PM:
> From: Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
> Subject: Re: Today's premieres and other notes (Wednesday, Dec. 21)
> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 21:49:10 -0800
>
> On 12/21/2016 4:58 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

>>> Have you had that concussion checked out yet?

>>> It happens far too often with pale-skinned redheads, it seems. She's a
>>> mere 37, but looks like she could be a decade older. The outdoor filming
>>> probably did no favors, although Lindy still looked adorable.
>>
>> Ah, I wasn't able to find her age. I thought she was a little younger
>> than that, but I agree, she could easily pass for 50.
>>
> I finally had the time to watch the episode this evening. I'd say her
> character _was_ supposed to be haggard and worn from working as an
> underpaid waitress.

That's a fair point, but she did a *really* good job with it. :)

shawn

Dec 23, 2016, 9:00:05 PM12/23/16
But if you looked closely she doesn't look that old. Sure, she's not
twenty any more but her skin doesn't look that bad. She just wasn't
all dolled up which makes sense for a waitress heading to work.

anim8rfsk

Dec 23, 2016, 10:02:01 PM12/23/16
In article <o3kimk$m5e$3...@dont-email.me>,
Hell, the whole damn wardrobe.

Jim G.

Dec 24, 2016, 2:06:36 PM12/24/16
shawn sent the following on 12/23/2016 at 07:59 PM:
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 19:29:43 -0600, "Jim G."
> <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Dimensional Traveler sent the following on 12/21/2016 at 11:47 PM:

>>> I finally had the time to watch the episode this evening. I'd say her
>>> character _was_ supposed to be haggard and worn from working as an
>>> underpaid waitress.
>>
>> That's a fair point, but she did a *really* good job with it. :)
>
> But if you looked closely she doesn't look that old. Sure, she's not
> twenty any more but her skin doesn't look that bad. She just wasn't
> all dolled up which makes sense for a waitress heading to work.

Fair enough. And as I said elsewhere, filming outdoors didn't do her
fair skin any favors, either.