What Did You Watch? 2018-06-17 (Sunday)

Ubiquitous

Jun 18, 2018, 7:39:29 AM6/18/18

On Fathers' Day, I watched:

FAMILY GUY:
A Fathers' Day marathon.

DIFF'RENT STROKES:
"Cheers to Arnold". In this VSE about alcoholism, Arnold catches his
friend drinking booze in the bathroom. His friends meet them there and
they all take a swig of Toby's booze, then go to Arnold's house hung
over. I don't think that's how it works. Toby manages to steal a bottle
of vodka unnoticed from Mr. Drummand's table-o-booze in the living room
that I do not rememeber ever seeing before while Arnold confesses to
his father that he had a drink. The next day, Arnold catches Toby with
the stolen bottle of vodka and is caught by his teacher who immediately
assumes Arnold has a drinking problem and enrolls him in the school's
branch of Alcoholics Anonymous. The following day, everyone at school
somehow knows about Arnold being a drunkard and shuns him. How the hell
that happened is never explained. Arnold catches Toby again and makes
him cry before confessing that it was he, not Arnold, who needs to
attend the school's AA program. Later, we see sober Tobey is greatful
for Arnold's help. Jebus, how many of these did they do?

THE JEFFERSONS:
"Uncle Bertram". Mother Jefferson meets a masher on the elevator, who
turns out to be Tom's uncle. What a cute couple.

THE JEFFERSONS:
"Movin' On Down". Financial setbacks throw George into despair.

THE LOVE BOAT:
This ep wasn't very good.
• "The Old Man and the Runaway". Grandpa Walton plays a cranky old man
who befriends a runaway free-spirit who stowed aboard the ship in his
bathroom. I recognise the little girl but am not sure why. What was
intended to be a heart-warming story became creepy when the old man
tells everyone she's his grand-daughter and gets cozy with her.
• "A Fine Romance". Potsie Weber and Newhart's handyman are roomates on
this week's cruise. For _some_ odd reason, Potsie, the brother of her
friend, has no interest in her. I'm not sure how this turned out
because I nodded off and missed the conclusion.
• "The Painters". Mister Morioto and Artie Johnson prove to be the
world's most inept painters and totally botch painting Captain
Stubing's cabin several times.

STAR TREK: THE ANIMATED SERIES:
"Mudd's Passion". The Enterprise crew runs into its old nemesis; Harcourt
Fenton Mudd, more commonly known as Harry Mudd. Time's not changed Mudd's
predilection for nefarious business ventures. This time, he's peddling an
illegal love potion. The drug does have an accidental effect; on Spock, who,
again finds himself falling for nurse Christine Chapel. This was an
interesting ep until Nurse Chapel acted like a simpering fool and took
Mudd's love potion to use on Mister Spock. Oh my gawd. I found the source
of those Kirk/Spock slashfics!
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/1/15/Kirk_and_Spock%2C_best_friends.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140720064821&path-prefix=en

STAR TREK: THE ANIMATED SERIES:
"The Terratin Incident". The crew of the Enterprise finds themselves
shrinking after being bathed with radiation

STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE:
"The Die is Cast". After being picked up by the renegade Cardassian-Romulan
attack fleet, Garak's loyalties are tested when he must torture Odo for
information about the Founders.

What did you watch?

Ian J. Ball

Jun 18, 2018, 9:43:42 AM6/18/18
On 2018-06-18 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

On the day my visiting family left town, I still didn't get through all
that much...:

U.S. Open golf - Dustin Johnson pretty much choked on the final day (as
did the final pairing of Tony Finau and Daniel Berger) which allowed
Brooks Koepka to waltz through the door for the first back-to-back U.S.
Open wins since Curtis Strange in the late 1990s!!

The Expanse (recorded) - "Dandelion Sky" (ep. #3.10). I think I liked
this one more than Jim G. did...
I was actually worried that this was going to be the season finale,
and that this would end on a major cliffhanger, but luckily there's
still 3 more episodes to go.
Anyway, we finally start getting a *few* answers from the
protomolecule/aliens, via James Holden, who first has to overcome
Bobbie Draper's team of Martian marines - one of said Marines makes a
deadly mistake, which has ramifications for everybody else in the "void
space bubble". On that front, most of the other developments were
marking time (e.g. Drummer pretty much accuses Ashford of undermining
her for a forthcoming mutiny), though we also get some progress on the
Melba/Clarissa Mao front when Genelle Williams first tells Anna about
Clarissa, and then confronts her - their showdown is put on pause by
the protomolecule though...

Instinct - "Blast From the Past" (ep. #11). After a long week, I
decided I really wanted to just relax and watch this (rather than
Lifetime). In this one, Julian worries that Dr. Reinhart is becoming
too public a figure for his own good, and warns Lizzie about it. In the
CotW, Reinhart and Lizzie try to decypher a series of "suicide
bombings". I thought this episode was decent.
Two more episodes to go here (though this one will be coming back
for a season #2...).

I did catch some parts of "The Wrong Son" on Lifetime, but I missed
parts, and ended up going to bed before the end - it looked like it was
an OK thriller, and I'll probably try to catch a reairing. Sidenote:
Glad to see that someone is still hiring Paloma Guzman.

Recorded for later: Just the "Into the Badlands" ("mid-season") finale.

A Friend

Jun 18, 2018, 9:46:18 AM6/18/18
In article <UBI201...@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous
<web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> What did you watch?

Well, since you asked:

REVERIE. Honest to God, this show makes no sense at all. At one
point, Sarah Shahi meets the programmers, and one of the questions she
asked is if she can bring something really big in with her when she
tries (again) to rescue this week's happily comatose victim. I mean,
what is this? Can't the programmers just program whatever she needs?
If not, why not? Also, can't they make Sarah Shahi into some kind of
superwoman? (We see this week's vic effortlessly push her all the way
to the front of the "really big" armored truck she "brought in" with
her.) At least I seem to have been right about one thing: At the end,
we discover that Sarah Shahi is in her own reverie. I thought we
weren't going to find out about that for a while yet. I'm watching the
next one only to make sure I was right. Otherwise, this would have
been three and flee for me. #cancelreveriePLEASE

PRIVATE EYES. Twelfth episode of season two. Everybody's vacationing
at a resort near Toronto when, alluvasudden, there's a murder. The
husband of the man who owns the resort is the victim. This show is
terrific. Also, I discovered when it was over that the owner being
married to the male suspect had struck me as completely unremarkable.
What did surprise me was a casual mention of Prohibition. I thought
that, maybe, the resort was located just across the border, but I
looked it up and, whaddayaknow, they had Prohibition in parts of
Canada, too, including Ontario, and around the same time as the U.S.
Another thing: Very near the end, Cindy Sampson has a line, "We do make
a pretty good team," which she delivers just as Stana Katic delivered
it on CASTLE so long ago. I guess that was a shout-out to all the
people who have been comparing this series favorably to the early years
of that one.

Arthur Lipscomb

Jun 18, 2018, 10:07:17 AM6/18/18
Into the Badlands – Episode from last week and the finale. I’m not sure
if I can say much was actually wrapped up since the show seemed to tack
on lots of knew mysteries on top of the old ones. Still it was
entertaining enough.

Westworld – Vanishing Point – Penultimate episode. I’m not even going to
try and summarize what went down. I think I was half asleep through
most of it anyway.

Just Another Immigrant- “The Family” and “The TV Debut”- these two
seemed to be a bit more funnier than last week’s episodes. Still a dry
humor, but I actually laughed occasionally.

Red Sparrow (4K disc)- I forgot to mention I watched this the other day.
In spite of the horrible reviews I went ahead and bought it since it
was ridiculously cheap and I figured how bad could it really be.
Jennifer Lawrence stars as a Russian ballerina who after an accident
ruins her career is recruited by Russian intelligence into a secret
program and becomes a Black Widow, I mean Red Sparrow. So Black Widows,
I mean Red Sparrows are specially trained to seduce men while being
deadly, sort of a like a spider that mates then kills. The target of
her first mission is a CIA agent played by Joel Edgerton who knows the
identify to a Russian double agent. The thing is, neither side really
ever hides who they are or what they’re up to. He knows she’s a Russian
agent seducing him to get the identity of the mole and she knows he
knows. You just never know for show who is playing who. Although It
took me a while to work my way through the whole movie, it wasn’t
because of anything wrong with the movie, I just got too busy to finish
in one sitting and the movie is pretty long. But the movie itself I
thought was OK. Not nearly as bad as the reviews made it out to be.
While I wasn’t always sure what was going on, part of that is because
you never know whose side Lawrence is really on.

Gringo (Netflix rental) – Joel Edgerton who seems to pop up in a *lot*
of movies I’ve watched recently is part of an ensemble cast playing a
shady CEO who along with Charlize Theron send an employee (David
Oyelowo) to Mexico to wrap up some business dealings that will result in
a Mexican cartel losing one of their suppliers. The cartel doesn’t like
it and Oyelowo gets caught in the middle. Some other spoilery stuff
happens which results in Edgerton sending his brother (Sharlto Copley)
down to Mexico to rescue Oyelowo instead of paying a ransom. I really
didn’t care for this.

Paper Towns (Netflix rental) Nat Wolff stars as a teen who decides to
play detective when his flaky next door neighbor (Cara Delevingne) goes
missing. She’s known to pull stunts like this all the time but Wolff
thinks she’s sending a message to him to come find her. This movie was
too lever for its’ own good and most of the characters especially Cara’s
were annoying.

anim8rfsk

Jun 18, 2018, 10:13:58 AM6/18/18
In article <UBI201...@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> THE LOVE BOAT:
> This ep wasn't very good.

No, no it wasn't.
I knew we were in trouble when the first alphabetical guess star name
started with a 'G'
And there were no women guest stars at all.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Ian J. Ball

Jun 18, 2018, 10:43:12 AM6/18/18
On 2018-06-18 14:07:14 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> Red Sparrow (4K disc)- I forgot to mention I watched this the other
> day. In spite of the horrible reviews I went ahead and bought it
> since it was ridiculously cheap and I figured how bad could it really
> be. Jennifer Lawrence stars as a Russian ballerina who after an
> accident ruins her career is recruited by Russian intelligence into a
> secret program and becomes a Black Widow, I mean Red Sparrow. So Black
> Widows, I mean Red Sparrows are specially trained to seduce men while
> being deadly, sort of a like a spider that mates then kills. The
> target of her first mission is a CIA agent played by Joel Edgerton who
> knows the identify to a Russian double agent. The thing is, neither
> side really ever hides who they are or what they’re up to. He knows
> she’s a Russian agent seducing him to get the identity of the mole and
> she knows he knows. You just never know for show who is playing who.
> Although It took me a while to work my way through the whole movie, it
> wasn’t because of anything wrong with the movie, I just got too busy to
> finish in one sitting and the movie is pretty long. But the movie
> itself I thought was OK. Not nearly as bad as the reviews made it out
> to be. While I wasn’t always sure what was going on, part of that is
> because you never know whose side Lawrence is really on.

If/when this shows up on a premium channel, etc. I intend to check it
out for myself...

> Paper Towns (Netflix rental) Nat Wolff stars as a teen who decides to
> play detective when his flaky next door neighbor (Cara Delevingne) goes
> missing. She’s known to pull stunts like this all the time but Wolff
> thinks she’s sending a message to him to come find her. This movie was
> too lever for its’ own good and most of the characters especially
> Cara’s were annoying.

That was the impression I got as well, though I still am interested in
seeing this, as Halston Sage co-stars...

anim8rfsk

Jun 18, 2018, 10:54:05 AM6/18/18
In article <pg8eai$mqh$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> Westworld – Vanishing Point – Penultimate episode. I’m not even going to
> try and summarize what went down. I think I was half asleep through
> most of it anyway.

LOL, I forgot about it completely.

Should be a new Private Eyes somewhere too ...

anim8rfsk

Jun 18, 2018, 12:43:27 PM6/18/18
In article <pg8gds$711$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2018-06-18 14:07:14 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:
>
> > Red Sparrow (4K disc)- I forgot to mention I watched this the other
> > day. In spite of the horrible reviews I went ahead and bought it
> > since it was ridiculously cheap and I figured how bad could it really
> > be. Jennifer Lawrence stars as a Russian ballerina who after an
> > accident ruins her career is recruited by Russian intelligence into a
> > secret program and becomes a Black Widow, I mean Red Sparrow. So Black
> > Widows, I mean Red Sparrows are specially trained to seduce men while
> > being deadly, sort of a like a spider that mates then kills. The
> > target of her first mission is a CIA agent played by Joel Edgerton who
> > knows the identify to a Russian double agent. The thing is, neither
> > side really ever hides who they are or what they’re up to. He knows
> > she’s a Russian agent seducing him to get the identity of the mole and
> > she knows he knows. You just never know for show who is playing who.
> > Although It took me a while to work my way through the whole movie, it
> > wasn’t because of anything wrong with the movie, I just got too busy to
> > finish in one sitting and the movie is pretty long. But the movie
> > itself I thought was OK. Not nearly as bad as the reviews made it out
> > to be. While I wasn’t always sure what was going on, part of that is
> > because you never know whose side Lawrence is really on.
>
> If/when this shows up on a premium channel, etc. I intend to check it
> out for myself...

Oh, Ian, Ian, Ian ...

Ubiquitous

Jun 18, 2018, 1:27:29 PM6/18/18
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>> THE LOVE BOAT:
>> This ep wasn't very good.
>
>No, no it wasn't.
>I knew we were in trouble when the first alphabetical guess star name
>started with a 'G'
>And there were no women guest stars at all.

No comment on this week's Star Trek cartoon? :-D

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 18, 2018, 1:35:25 PM6/18/18
Does it have not-safe-for-Ian nudity?

I guess I'll borrow it from the library; I'm not buying a 4K player
though.

anim8rfsk

Jun 18, 2018, 1:44:23 PM6/18/18
In article <anim8rfsk-E14ED...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> In article <pg8eai$mqh$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
> > Westworld – Vanishing Point – Penultimate episode. I’m not even going
> > try and summarize what went down. I think I was half asleep through
> > most of it anyway.
>
> LOL, I forgot about it completely.
>
> Should be a new Private Eyes somewhere too ...

I finally made some inroads into my Ca$h Cab backlog, and they showed
TWENTY more of them this weekend, knocking me up to 558.

GOOD WITCH
This was a really stupid one. Usually Good Witch uses her magic to take
somebody else on a journey and teach them a lesson. This one was about
finding a wedding dress, and Cassie clearly knew where it was all along,
and used clews to take *herself* on a completely pointless journey that
ends with her finding the dress. Yay? Apparently it's been hopping
from place to place in Middleton, like there are all these people and
places and shops she's never been aware of in Mayberry.
Meanwhile Young Witch's boyfriend is going to some college far away from
where she's going, even though she hasn't decided where she's going yet.
Meanwhile Bad Witch overtly uses magic to help her soon to be boyfriend
convert the old mill into the perfect place to run his business (this is
the guy who was being spied on by evil drones) without his knowledge,
which comes back to bite her in her pert little behind when he finds a
perfect campus in Portland or something and dumps her and leaves town.
Meanwhile Good Witch and Father of Son of Sam make out their lists of
wedding guests. Father of Son invites all his patients. Then when they
compare their too long lists, they find out they have all the same
people on them so they only half as many guests as they thought. So
Good Witch invited all of Father of Son's patients, and friends from New
York?!
BTW Ian, Sarah Power is like 4 inches taller than Catherine Bell (at
least this week) and the Interweb sez Bell is 5'10" ... and claims Power
is 5'8". I call shenanigans!
In looking up Power's height, I came across these VERY NOT SAFE FOR WORK
gifs. I have no idea where they're from; the text was all metric:
http://www.vidble.com/ZgW0BpKy4d.gif
https://pzy.be/i/2/Sarah-Power-Nude.gif

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 18, 2018, 1:53:00 PM6/18/18
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>BTW Ian, Sarah Power is like 4 inches taller than Catherine Bell (at
>least this week) and the Interweb sez Bell is 5'10" ... and claims Power
>is 5'8". I call shenanigans!
>In looking up Power's height, I came across these VERY NOT SAFE FOR WORK
>gifs. I have no idea where they're from; the text was all metric:
>http://www.vidble.com/ZgW0BpKy4d.gif
>https://pzy.be/i/2/Sarah-Power-Nude.gif

Thanks for the nudity. Not safe for work? She's at work!

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 18, 2018, 2:08:08 PM6/18/18
I watched ...

'Hell Comes to Frogtown' (1988) - Netflix DVD rental
"Eat lead, froggies!" I don't remember there being a cheese shortage in
1987 but there must have been because this moovie had to have required
the entire yearly output of Wisconsin cheese to make. Watching this
made me realize that poor Sandahl Bergman really needed a better agent.
Other than 'All That Jazz' and 'Conan the Barbarian' she really didn't
have a very high-end career. The only real purpose of this movie was as
an excuse to make Sandahl run around in the desert in lingerie. Which
would have been nice if I couldn't count her ribs, she really did look
borderline anorexic. I don't recommend this movie unless you are
suicidally jonesing for low-budget 80s post apocalypse B-movies.

After that, the last three episodes of 'The Crossing' seemed like decent
television. (At least in comparison.) If it had gotten a full season
pickup I suspect things would have gotten weird and very oniony really fast.

instinct are running screaming.

anim8rfsk

Jun 18, 2018, 2:09:17 PM6/18/18
In article <pg8rhp$h3u$2...@dont-email.me>,
LOL

anim8rfsk

Jun 18, 2018, 2:09:52 PM6/18/18
In article <pg8q1u$5e9$3...@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> anim...@cox.net wrote:
> > Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
> >> THE LOVE BOAT:
> >> This ep wasn't very good.
> >
> >No, no it wasn't.
> >I knew we were in trouble when the first alphabetical guess star name
> >started with a 'G'
> >And there were no women guest stars at all.
>
> No comment on this week's Star Trek cartoon? :-D

"awful as they were, they were better than the one Koenig wrote"

suzeeq

Jun 18, 2018, 2:16:50 PM6/18/18
anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <anim8rfsk-E14ED...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> In article <pg8eai$mqh$1...@dont-email.me>,
>> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Westworld – Vanishing Point – Penultimate episode. I’m not even going
Someone was wearing flats and the other had 5" heels on?

anim8rfsk

Jun 18, 2018, 2:30:24 PM6/18/18
In article <pg8se5$sp8$1...@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> I watched ...
>
> 'Hell Comes to Frogtown' (1988) - Netflix DVD rental
> "Eat lead, froggies!" I don't remember there being a cheese shortage in
> 1987 but there must have been because this moovie had to have required
> the entire yearly output of Wisconsin cheese to make. Watching this
> made me realize that poor Sandahl Bergman really needed a better agent.
> Other than 'All That Jazz' and 'Conan the Barbarian' she really didn't
> have a very high-end career. The only real purpose of this movie was as
> an excuse to make Sandahl run around in the desert in lingerie. Which
> would have been nice if I couldn't count her ribs, she really did look
> borderline anorexic. I don't recommend this movie unless you are
> suicidally jonesing for low-budget 80s post apocalypse B-movies.

So it's for Ian, then?

anim8rfsk

Jun 18, 2018, 2:31:15 PM6/18/18
In article <pg8sue$ur$1...@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com>
wrote:

> anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <anim8rfsk-E14ED...@news.easynews.com>,
> > anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

That's all I can figure, but it seems odd they'd downplay the star's
height that way.

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 18, 2018, 3:29:37 PM6/18/18
*fine tunes his resume*

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 18, 2018, 3:31:02 PM6/18/18
Almost. Sandahl Bergman has a no nudity clause in her contract but
another woman didn't.

David Barnett

Jun 18, 2018, 6:47:04 PM6/18/18
In article <UBI201...@dont-email.me>, web...@polaris.net says...

> On Fathers' Day, I watched:
US Fathers' Day, not Aussie Fathers' Day.

> What did you watch?

On Sunday June 17 I watched:

THE KILLING: What You Have Left; Vengeance
Discussed earlier (Netflix)
However, I add one good thing for me is that:
The Netflix subtitles are really big & don't blink off too quickly.

--
David Barnett

David Barnett

Jun 18, 2018, 6:49:56 PM6/18/18
In article <pg8eai$mqh$1...@dont-email.me>, art...@alum.calberkeley.org
says...

> Westworld ? Vanishing Point ? Penultimate episode. I?m not even going to
> try and summarize what went down. I think I was half asleep through
> most of it anyway.

I found it incomprehensible.
Was there a retcon of The Man with the Black Hat?

--
David Barnett

anim8rfsk

Jun 18, 2018, 8:05:58 PM6/18/18
In article <anim8rfsk-58570...@news.easynews.com>,
PRIVATE EYES S02E13
This was kind of a nothing episode. It's entirely a case of the week,
with no character plotlines advancing. The black cop - Nolan? - from
the early eps is back, to no good effect because all he does is take
half the lines of the regular buddy cop. I'm not crazy that he's in the
mix again the first ep that Angie's single. Limited characters this
week - Shade, Angie, assistant (who literally phones in her part), Dad's
girlfriend (but not Dad) and even she's seen in passing, Jules only
talked about, the aforementioned two cops, one suspect who's clearly
innocent, two guys trying to blame him and it's obvious one of them is
guilty, one gratuitous pretty girl briefly. No mention at all of the
exes (as of last week). Most of the plot advances are because somebody
doing something stupid, like picking up the murder weapon, or keeping
the contract with the evil company to do something illegal in the inbox
right in the front of your desk. They solve the case and it's over, yay.

There is one excellent part though:
ROT 13 PRIVATE EYE POWERS ENGAGE!
Natvr, gnxra cevfbare ol gur rivyqbre, unaqf obhaq oruvaq oruvaq ure va
gur onpx frng bs gur pne ur'f qevira gb gur jngre'f rqtr jurer ur'f
tbvat gb ntnva qeht ure naq guvf gvzr qebja ure ... Funqr naq gur pbcf
ner ba gur jnl! Jvyy gurl or gurer va gvzr!?!?!?
Jryy, gheaf bhg gurl qba'g arrq gb or. Jura Rivyqbre bcraf gur pne qbbe
fur xvpxf vg bcra xabpxvat uvz qbja naq ol gur gvzr uryc neevirf fur'f
qnza arne xvpxrq gur thl gb qrngu, unaqf serr! Lbh tb tvey!

Arthur Lipscomb

Jun 18, 2018, 9:46:14 PM6/18/18
I think so, maybe. I was really struggling to stay awake towards the end
and found myself watching the same scenes over and over again but I'm
pretty sure they are going to reveal next week that's he's not what
we've been lead to believe. If that's the case, then it's a major retcon.

Arthur Lipscomb

Jun 18, 2018, 9:52:51 PM6/18/18
On 6/18/2018 11:30 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
I was raised on low budget 80s post apocalyptic B-movies! The nostalgia
is strong with this one.

I remember watching this on USA Up all night. It was a regular feature
on basic cable back in the day. I really want to see it again, but not
on DVD. If Shout Factory or one of those other specialty shops released
a special edition on blu-ray, I'd almost certainly buy it. Or at least
rent it. :-)

Arthur Lipscomb

Jun 18, 2018, 10:03:45 PM6/18/18
On 6/18/2018 10:35 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>> Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> If/when this shows up on a premium channel, etc. I intend to check it
>>> out for myself...
>
>> Oh, Ian, Ian, Ian ...
>
> Does it have not-safe-for-Ian nudity?

You could say that.

> I guess I'll borrow it from the library; I'm not buying a 4K player
> though.

It's on blu-ray and DVD too. The 4K is one of the things that pushed me
over the edge to buy it even thought I never saw it before.

anim8rfsk

Jun 18, 2018, 10:40:18 PM6/18/18
In article <MPG.3592e21...@news.eternal-september.org>,
I'd ha e to understand what was going on first to know whether or not
something was a retcon.

shawn

Jun 18, 2018, 11:01:57 PM6/18/18
Yeah, I remember watching this long ago. Think I watched it
specifically because of Rowdy Roddy Piper.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 18, 2018, 11:39:45 PM6/18/18
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

>The Expanse (recorded) - "Dandelion Sky" (ep. #3.10). I think I liked
>this one more than Jim G. did...
> I was actually worried that this was going to be the season finale,
>and that this would end on a major cliffhanger, but luckily there's
>still 3 more episodes to go.
> Anyway, we finally start getting a *few* answers from the
>protomolecule/aliens, via James Holden, who first has to overcome
>Bobbie Draper's team of Martian marines - one of said Marines makes a
>deadly mistake, which has ramifications for everybody else in the "void
>space bubble". On that front, most of the other developments were
>marking time (e.g. Drummer pretty much accuses Ashford of undermining
>her for a forthcoming mutiny), though we also get some progress on the
>Melba/Clarissa Mao front when Genelle Williams first tells Anna about
>Clarissa, and then confronts her - their showdown is put on pause by
>the protomolecule though...

I guess I've been liking these a little. It reminded me how much I liked
the first season, the missing person mystery, Joe Miller, and the
Belters story. We never really got a lot on Mars nor Earth. The clash
among the three groups of humans was more interesting than the
conspiracy about the proto-molecule.

It's always nice to see Genelle Williams.

suzeeq

Jun 18, 2018, 11:53:40 PM6/18/18
anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <anim8rfsk-58570...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> In article <anim8rfsk-E14ED...@news.easynews.com>,
>> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

Yay for Angie!!

anim8rfsk

Jun 19, 2018, 12:30:16 AM6/19/18
In article <pg9nlg$qkd$1...@dont-email.me>,
There was a blu-ray, out of the UK. You can get it on Amazon if you
have a multi-region player, or rips are on the dark web. The DVD has
extras like a commentary which might make it worth your while. Or
there's an SD version on The Amazon for $3.

anim8rfsk

Jun 19, 2018, 12:30:41 AM6/19/18
In article <pg9uo2$bfs$1...@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com>
wrote:

> anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <anim8rfsk-58570...@news.easynews.com>,
> > anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

Really!

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 19, 2018, 1:10:35 AM6/19/18
Just the idea of the froggies in HD is terrifying.

Ubiquitous

Jun 19, 2018, 6:57:47 AM6/19/18
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>> anim...@cox.net wrote:

>>> No, no it wasn't.
>>> I knew we were in trouble when the first alphabetical guess
>>> star name started with a 'G'
>>> And there were no women guest stars at all.
>>
>> No comment on this week's Star Trek cartoon? :-D
>
>"awful as they were, they were better than the one Koenig wrote"

Heh.

Ian J. Ball

Jun 19, 2018, 8:45:45 AM6/19/18
I like season #3, but I still think season #2 was actually the
strongest season, from a story perspective. I too liked season #1,
though, for the Julie Mao mystery...

> It's always nice to see Genelle Williams.

She's too "well-clothed" here... ;p

Ian J. Ball

Jun 19, 2018, 8:46:57 AM6/19/18
I've never watched this one and, despite some of the casting, I really
have no desire to, especially after I read about the season #1 finale
"bait & switch" around here... :|

Ubiquitous

Jun 19, 2018, 10:22:11 AM6/19/18
dbar...@bigpond.net.au wrote:
> web...@polaris.net says...

>> On Fathers' Day, I watched:
>
> US Fathers' Day, not Aussie Fathers' Day.

Father is another word for Mother-fucker.

anim8rfsk

Jun 19, 2018, 1:11:17 PM6/19/18
In article <pgattl$441$1...@dont-email.me>,
I'm used to seeing her in maternity outfits.

Jim G.

Jun 20, 2018, 10:42:13 PM6/20/18
Arthur Lipscomb sent the following on 06/18/2018 at 09:07 AM:
> Red Sparrow (4K disc)- I forgot to mention I watched this the other day.
> In spite of the horrible reviews I went ahead and bought it since it
> was ridiculously cheap and I figured how bad could it really be.
> Jennifer Lawrence stars as a Russian ballerina who after an accident
> ruins her career is recruited by Russian intelligence into a secret
> program and becomes a Black Widow, I mean Red Sparrow. So Black Widows,
> I mean Red Sparrows are specially trained to seduce men while being
> deadly, sort of a like a spider that mates then kills. The target of
> her first mission is a CIA agent played by Joel Edgerton who knows the
> identify to a Russian double agent. The thing is, neither side really
> ever hides who they are or what they’re up to. He knows she’s a Russian
> agent seducing him to get the identity of the mole and she knows he
> knows. You just never know for show who is playing who. Although It
> took me a while to work my way through the whole movie, it wasn’t
> because of anything wrong with the movie, I just got too busy to finish
> in one sitting and the movie is pretty long. But the movie itself I
> thought was OK. Not nearly as bad as the reviews made it out to be.
> While I wasn’t always sure what was going on, part of that is because
> you never know whose side Lawrence is really on.

I really have no idea why Lawrence has had such a successful career. I
really don't. I've never been impressed by her performances and that's
true here, as well. It's not a bad story at all and I think that it
could have been much better with someone else in the lead role. It
probably didn't help that it looked like she spent no time whatsoever
doing any physical fitness training for the role. Charlize Theron
(ATOMIC BLONDE) and Alicia Vikander (TOMB RAIDER) have both provided us
with far more appealing and kickass -- and physically fit -- heroines
recently.

"Oh, my god. That's tragic. It's like a Hallmark movie. But with
tentacles." -- Dean Winchester, SUPERNATURAL

Jim G.

Jun 20, 2018, 10:43:19 PM6/20/18
Ian J. Ball sent the following on 06/19/2018 at 07:46 AM:
> On 2018-06-18 22:46:55 +0000, David Barnett said:
>
>> In article <UBI201...@dont-email.me>, web...@polaris.net says...
>>>
>>> On Fathers' Day, I watched:
>> US Fathers' Day, not Aussie Fathers' Day.
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> On Sunday June 17 I watched:
>>
>> THE KILLING: What You Have Left; Vengeance
>> Discussed earlier (Netflix)
>> However, I add one good thing for me is that:
>> The Netflix subtitles are really big & don't blink off too quickly.
>
> I've never watched this one and, despite some of the casting, I really
> have no desire to, especially after I read about the season #1 finale
> "bait & switch" around here... :|

Yeah, I rarely get genuinely upset by anything TV-related, but this one
well and truly ticked me off. IIRC, the brain trust had given multiple
assurances ahead of time that the mystery would be solved by the end of
the season and they blatantly lied.

I never came back for season two.

Jim G.

Jun 20, 2018, 11:02:06 PM6/20/18
Ubiquitous sent the following on 06/18/2018 at 03:30 AM:
> What did you watch?
WESTWORLD / 2x09 / Vanishing Point

[Try to kill it all away, but I remember everything.]

After last week's misguided distraction, the show returns to form with a
vengeance in this one. We come to understand William a little bit
better, and it's not a good thing. And Teddy. Poor, poor Teddy. I'll try
to get back to this one to flesh out the plot a bit and pull some of the
better quotes, but if time gets away from me, here's some bullet point
notes, if nothing else.

* The Forge. It's like the Cradle on 'roids. And everyone is heading there.
* MiB seeks immortality. His daughter seeks to understand her Mom's end
because she apparently doesn't realize that both of her parents were/are
redhot messes.
* The daughter and her perfect breasts can't be dead! And those breasts
can't have any bullet damage! They just can't! This is important, as you
can tell by my exclamation points!!!
* Meanwhile, Dad seems to be having psychological issues and clearly
wonders if he's been given the James Delos treatment himself.
* Interestingly, Mom saw Dad's profile before she committed suicide.

Grade: B+

Arthur Lipscomb

Jun 23, 2018, 3:09:15 PM6/23/18
On 6/20/2018 7:42 PM, Jim G. wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb sent the following on 06/18/2018 at 09:07 AM:
>> Red Sparrow (4K disc)- I forgot to mention I watched this the other day.
>>    In spite of the horrible reviews I went ahead and bought it since it
>> was ridiculously cheap and I figured how bad could it really be.
>> Jennifer Lawrence stars as a Russian ballerina who after an accident
>> ruins her career is recruited by Russian intelligence into a secret
>> program and becomes a Black Widow, I mean Red Sparrow.  So Black Widows,
>> I mean Red Sparrows are specially trained to seduce men while being
>> deadly, sort of a like a spider that mates then kills.  The target of
>> her first mission is a CIA agent played by Joel Edgerton who knows the
>> identify to a Russian double agent.  The thing is, neither side really
>> ever hides who they are or what they’re up to.  He knows she’s a Russian
>> agent seducing him to get the identity of the mole and she knows he
>> knows.  You just never know for show who is playing who.  Although It
>> took me a while to work my way through the whole movie, it wasn’t
>> because of anything wrong with the movie, I just got too busy to finish
>> in one sitting and the movie is pretty long.  But the movie itself I
>> thought was OK.  Not nearly as bad as the reviews made it out to be.
>> While I wasn’t always sure what was going on, part of that is because
>> you never know whose side Lawrence is really on.
>
> I really have no idea why Lawrence has had such a successful career.

She lucked out by being cast in a string of hit movies. The movies
would have done well regardless, but being in them still counts. Plus
she won an Academic Award along with multiple other nominations and it's
road straight to A list.

> really don't. I've never been impressed by her performances and that's
> true here, as well. It's not a bad story at all and I think that it
> could have been much better with someone else in the lead role. It
> probably didn't help that it looked like she spent no time whatsoever
> doing any physical fitness training for the role.

You may have a point, but does her character really need to have any
physical fitness training beyond that of a ballerina?

Jim G.

Jun 23, 2018, 6:31:43 PM6/23/18
Arthur Lipscomb sent the following on 06/23/2018 at 02:09 PM:
I never saw the movie that she won the AA for, but what I've seen
suggests that she's popular with the right people in Hollywood if your
goal is to be considered for various awards. She just always comes
across to me as vapid.

>> really don't. I've never been impressed by her performances and that's
>> true here, as well. It's not a bad story at all and I think that it
>> could have been much better with someone else in the lead role. It
>> probably didn't help that it looked like she spent no time whatsoever
>> doing any physical fitness training for the role.
>
> You may have a point, but does her character really need to have any
> physical fitness training beyond that of a ballerina?

Her character wasn't even *that* fit anymore. And in general, there are
self-defense considerations that are better dealt with if you're not
winded after ten seconds of cardio. :)

anim8rfsk

Jun 23, 2018, 8:20:34 PM6/23/18
In article <pgmhoc$6jb$1...@dont-email.me>,
While I agree, she's still an absolute rocket surgeon in a field
comprised of the likes of Alicia Silverstone and Kim "dumb as a shoe"
Basinger.

Jim G.

Jun 23, 2018, 10:38:10 PM6/23/18
anim8rfsk sent the following on 06/23/2018 at 07:20 PM:
I've never had any desire to see Silverstone in anything and have been
successful on that front. And I didn't care how dumb Basinger was when
she was so good at steaming up my TV screen back in her primetime days.
Lawrence just isn't in the same league on that front at all.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 24, 2018, 12:16:22 PM6/24/18
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>On 6/20/2018 7:42 PM, Jim G. wrote:

>>I really have no idea why [Jennifer] Lawrence has had such a successful
>>career.

>She lucked out by being cast in a string of hit movies. The movies
>would have done well regardless, but being in them still counts. Plus
>she won an Academic Award along with multiple other nominations and it's
>road straight to A list.

She won best actress for Silver Linings Playbook against a weak field of
nominees. Of course she should have won two years earlier for Winter's
Bone, but you know, Black Swan was absurdly popular with Academy voters
and Natalie Portman won. Looking it up, Black Swan was nominated in four
other categories but didn't win.

I wouldn't have nominated Jennifer Lawrence for American Hustle. I
enjoyed the movie and her performance but I don't agree with the
decision to turn the story of ABSCAM into farce.

Then she got nominated for leading actress in Joy, a movie that didn't
deserve to be nominated in any category. At this point, she got
nominated on popularity not because the voters were making a serious
decision.

>>. . .

The Horny Goat

Jun 25, 2018, 8:47:20 PM6/25/18
On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 12:09:10 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>> really don't. I've never been impressed by her performances and that's
>> true here, as well. It's not a bad story at all and I think that it
>> could have been much better with someone else in the lead role. It
>> probably didn't help that it looked like she spent no time whatsoever
>> doing any physical fitness training for the role.
>
>You may have a point, but does her character really need to have any
>physical fitness training beyond that of a ballerina?

I dunno - I was pretty impressed by what I saw in Black Swan.

Jim G.

Jun 25, 2018, 11:11:29 PM6/25/18
The Horny Goat sent the following on 06/25/2018 at 07:47 PM:
She has all of the appropriate curves in all of the right places, but
there's not much in the way of muscle definition or tone. It was
particularly noticeable in the pool scenes.

shawn

Jun 26, 2018, 2:33:52 AM6/26/18
On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 22:11:24 -0500, "Jim G."
<jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

>The Horny Goat sent the following on 06/25/2018 at 07:47 PM:

>>> You may have a point, but does her character really need to have any
>>> physical fitness training beyond that of a ballerina?
>>>
>> I dunno - I was pretty impressed by what I saw in Black Swan.
>
>She has all of the appropriate curves in all of the right places, but
>there's not much in the way of muscle definition or tone. It was
>particularly noticeable in the pool scenes.

Matching the tone/definition of a real ballerina would be a lot of
work. A LOT of work. Still remember watching one professional
ballerina that was competing some years back on SO YOU THINK YOU CAN
DANCE and that girl was toned to the Nth degree. Skinny/slender and
yet real muscle tone that you know didn't come overnight. I don't
think Ms Lawrence is up for that sort of effort.

A Friend

Jun 26, 2018, 8:11:40 AM6/26/18
In article <rcn3jd5fpev9ubvbj...@4ax.com>, shawn
I dated a ballerina once. Terrific body but, boy, her feet were a mess.

Wasn't looking at her feet, though.

anim8rfsk

Jun 26, 2018, 9:50:27 AM6/26/18
They could just airbrush muscles on her. That's what they did with the
horseback stuntmen for Ahnold in Conan. :)

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 26, 2018, 11:36:52 AM6/26/18
I'm not sure there is enough muscle between her ears to make the rest of
her muscles work that hard.

Jim G.

Jun 26, 2018, 3:00:52 PM6/26/18
A Friend sent the following on 06/26/2018 at 05:01 AM:
> In article <rcn3jd5fpev9ubvbj...@4ax.com>, shawn
> <nanof...@notformailgmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 22:11:24 -0500, "Jim G."
>> <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> The Horny Goat sent the following on 06/25/2018 at 07:47 PM:

>>> She has all of the appropriate curves in all of the right places, but
>>> there's not much in the way of muscle definition or tone. It was
>>> particularly noticeable in the pool scenes.
>>
>> Matching the tone/definition of a real ballerina would be a lot of
>> work. A LOT of work. Still remember watching one professional
>> ballerina that was competing some years back on SO YOU THINK YOU CAN
>> DANCE and that girl was toned to the Nth degree. Skinny/slender and
>> yet real muscle tone that you know didn't come overnight. I don't
>> think Ms Lawrence is up for that sort of effort.
>
> I dated a ballerina once. Terrific body but, boy, her feet were a mess.
>
> Wasn't looking at her feet, though.

And as Thomas Magnum once pointed out, they tend to walk like ducks.

Jim G.

Jun 26, 2018, 3:01:55 PM6/26/18
shawn sent the following on 06/26/2018 at 01:33 AM:
I agree that she probably doesn't feel that she needs to work that hard
at it. Meanwhile, I keep coming back to Alicia Vikander, who looked like
her usual terrific and normal self in THE LIGHT BETWEEN OCEANS not too
long ago and then turned around and got insanely ripped for her role as
Lara Croft. She didn't bulk up (which almost always makes a woman look
freakish), but she toned it all up to an impressive degree. IMO, that's
what Lawrence needed to do if she wanted to be taken seriously in her
RED SPARROW role.