What Did You Watch? 2019-10-31 (Thursday)

Ian J. Ball

Nov 1, 2019, 9:36:50 AM11/1/19
On another Halloween that I basically just ignored (I was never able to
find a plastic pumkin with an LED light inside!!...), I just watched:

soaps: GH - I guess there was some Halloween party in which NuNina went
off on Sasha for being a conwoman and a fraud, and cutie-pie Willow
came to her defense (can they hint *any* harder that Willow is Nina's
real daughter?!?!!), as did Michael. At the same party, Cameron and
Josslyn get drunk! Jax and Hayden figure out that Ava has the Helena
Cassidine portrait. And, OMG!! - Ava discovers that Nikolas Cassidine
is alive!! (But he's now played by Marcus Coloma, as Tyler Christopher
has effectively retired from (soap) acting as he lives in Indiana!
now...)

The Tribe (Tubi) - Got through the first two ep's of season #4: #4.1-4.2.
Ep. #4.1 was better than I remembered. I had forgotten that the
Technos had a tangible plan to take over... But, once again, the
handling of the cast departures was awkward - they used archival
footage to show KC (and Bray), but Tai-San, Alice and May (and Andy &
Tally) just *disappear*, as does Miriama Smith's Moz who disappears
*really* awkwardly! (Equally awkward is the introduction of Kelly
Stevenson's Dee - she's one of Moz's Mosquitos, but we've literally
never seen her before, which we should have in season 3, and this reads
like "token British" casting (on a NZ show!) ordered by Channel 5...)
They go to great pains to show Bray in *both* of these episodes,
incl. in #4.2, where they show Bray being taken away in one of the
Techno's trucks (to really emphasize that Bray is still alive...), but
I'm nearly certain that this was all archival footage, even the "truck"
scene (which I think may be from season #3 when Bray was rescued by
Moon and Pony Joe...).
Meanwhile, Trudy and Pride go looking for Bray and Amber, but when
Pride hears the Technos invading he returns to the city to look for
May, while Trudy goes on to look for Amber. Trudy finds Amber, and
helps deliver her baby (mysteriously, the Technos find Amber first, but
don't take her captive for some reason...) - later, Trudy gets a closer
look at the Technos and is terrified! And Cloe hides from the Technos,
and Jack and Ellie manage to avoid them (and they rescue Dee), so
they're still free as well, as are Ebony and Lex. And Salene sneaks
back into town - I love how nobody asks her what happened to the
horse!! (Similarly, I noticed that Cloudy the dog basically disappears
after Cloe and Patsy left in season #3, and is basically never referred
to again!!)
I have to admit, I actually like the introduction of Jay here - he
does show signs of looking like he'll end up as a decent "Bray
replacement". Ved, OTOH, is a little sh*t whom I always hated. I had
forgotten that not only are Java and Siva Ebony's (real-life!) sisters,
but they *look like* twins!! I find Ram to be a joke of a character -
they clearly are aping Dr. Strangelove with the character here - and
was annoyed that he ends up staying all the way through to the end...
:/
I've discovered that two post-TV show novels (which are "canon") to
the show have been published since 2011, and I think in the novels they
discover that some adults were still alive. This makes me wonder if the
adults are "sponsoring" the Technos - I'll be looking for evidence of
this...
Anyway, Jay disappears in just two more episodes, Amber & Trudy go
away for a while in three ep's, and Ellie will be gone by #4.12 -
that's when I'm going to start skipping episodes!! ;)

Stumptown (recorded) - "Bad Alibis" (ep. #5). They actually manage to
resolve the "Grey's past catches up with him"/Wallace Kane (Colin
Cunningham) story fairly satisfactorily... While Lex (and Ansel) have
to run the bar in Grey's mysterious absence - Lex also has to have
interview for a PI license at the same time! - Det. Hoffman is
convinced that Kane is having Grey do a job, and so he "hires" Dex to
find Grey. It's not long before they're on Grey's trail, but Dex hits a
snag with Ansel... Meanwhile, Tookie is trying to impress a foot critic
at a "pop-up" at Grey's bar.

Grey Anatomy - A decent "Halloween" episode that at least had a fair
amount of Jo. Also, I was amused that Linc's mother was played by Bess
Armstrong at the lunch that Linc and Amelia had with Linc's parents.

Recorded for later: Nothing! - no new "Legacies" last nite!! >:/

What did you watch?

Ian J. Ball

Nov 1, 2019, 11:23:20 AM11/1/19
On 2019-11-01 13:36:35 +0000, Ian J. Ball said:

> On another Halloween that I basically just ignored (I was never able to
> find a plastic pumkin with an LED light inside!!...), I just watched:

Grrrr - *Jack*, not Jay!... :/

> Amber & Trudy go away for a while in three ep's, and Ellie will be gone
> by #4.12 - that's when I'm going to start skipping episodes!! ;)

Arthur Lipscomb

Nov 1, 2019, 11:28:40 AM11/1/19
On 11/1/2019 6:36 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On another Halloween that I basically just ignored (I was never able to
> find a plastic pumkin with an LED light inside!!...),

I never have any decorations. It doesn't stop the kids from finding my
house. This year I had to leave so I put out a bowl of candy with a
note to take one. I have a doorbell camera, so I was able to remotely
watch a few trick or treaters. I was surprised when a couple of
actually held up the candy to the camera to show they were only taking
one. I guess they must have correctly guessed they were being watched.
I kept wondering when I got home if there would be any candy left or if
someone would steal it all. To my shock, when I came home all the candy
I left out was gone, but there was new candy in the bowl. I'm sure I
left way more candy than there would have been trick or treaters. Now I
wonder if maybe someone did actually steal all the candy and as new kids
came and saw the empty bowl, they left new candy behind for others.
That's my best guess.

I just watched:

> Stumptown (recorded) - "Bad Alibis"
Saved for later.

> What did you watch?

After deleting 8 episodes of "Perfect Harmony" without ever even
sampling the pilot, I watched:

The Good Place - "A Chi Driver Mystery" - One obnoxious human's bad
behavior gets so bad that even Chidi takes a stand. The entire episode
had a framing device of Michael talking to evil Janet. When I see
framing devices like that I think those scenes weren't in the original
script, but added in after the fact for other reasons. That being said,
Michael gave something to evil Janet that I'm sure will turn out to not
be what he said it was.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "The Janitor Always Rings Twice" -
Charlie plays detective in a black and while noir episode where he's
investigating who diarrhea poisoned Frank. It had it's moments.

Terminator: Dark Fate (theatrical) - Linda Hamilton returns to the
franchise in this reboot that doesn't just ignore the Terminator movies
after T2, it goes out of it's way to say they never did and never will
happen! Although this movies does make it clear there *are* multiple
timelines so I guess in some alternate timeline, they did actually
happen. Anyway this time around Natalia Reyes plays the human in the
present in need of protection from a robot sent from the future to kill
her. Gabriel Luna plays the newest model Terminator, who is both liquid
metal and endoskeleton, allowing him to split into two fully autonomous
units for twice the terminating. Mackenzie Davis stars as an enhanced
human from the future who thanks to her upgrades can go toe to toe with
a Terminator, for a limited amount of time. They team up with Hamilton
who serves as mentor. This one has been getting great reviews, and I
agree this one is really good. Granted, I've generally liked the
Terminator sequels, but this one definitely does stand out as one of the
best sequels in the franchise. It has some truly stand out set pieces.
It also has Arnold back, this time playing for the first time a
Terminator with free will. I *really* liked "Carl" as his terminator
went by. His character doesn't show up until about 2/3 in. But when he
does, he steals the movie.

anim8rfsk

Nov 1, 2019, 11:37:08 AM11/1/19
Fri, 01 Nov 2019 06:36:35 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> Stumptown (recorded) - "Bad Alibis" (ep. #5). They actually manage to
> resolve the "Grey's past catches up with him"/Wallace Kane (Colin
> Cunningham) story fairly satisfactorily...

Why does Dex blame Grey for endangering Ansel?

> While Lex (and Ansel) have
> to run the bar in Grey's mysterious absence - Lex also has to have
> interview for a PI license at the same time!

Garafalo isn't even cute any more. And why didn't she ask something like
"when the Hell did you put in 1500 hours with this guy since last week?"

> - Det. Hoffman is
> convinced that Kane is having Grey do a job, and so he "hires" Dex to
> find Grey. It's not long before they're on Grey's trail, but Dex hits a
> snag with Ansel... Meanwhile, Tookie is trying to impress a foot critic
> at a "pop-up" at Grey's bar.

But he can't get a toehold.

Meanwhile his idea of 'cuisine' is to puke cilantro over everything? Better
the brother is kidnapped and never seen again that to bring that crap back
with him.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

anim8rfsk

Nov 1, 2019, 11:40:47 AM11/1/19
Fri, 01 Nov 2019 08:23:00 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2019-11-01 13:36:35 +0000, Ian J. Ball said:
>
> > On another Halloween that I basically just ignored (I was never able to
> > find a plastic pumkin with an LED light inside!!...), I just watched:

https://www.amazon.com/Halloween-Operated-Adjustable-Decorations-
HANPURE/dp/B07488V9DD/

Ian J. Ball

Nov 1, 2019, 11:41:00 AM11/1/19
On 2019-11-01 15:28:31 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> After deleting 8 episodes of "Perfect Harmony" without ever even
> sampling the pilot, I watched:

This may end up being the fate of the two "Evil" episodes I recorded
(the pilot & ep. #2) - it's not that I have anything against the
series, it's just that I have limited time now, and I don't feel like
putting time in to this series when I have a backlog of both "Black
Lightning" and "Poldark" episodes to get through... :|

suzeeq

Nov 1, 2019, 11:41:54 AM11/1/19
On 11/1/2019 8:37 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Fri, 01 Nov 2019 06:36:35 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Stumptown (recorded) - "Bad Alibis" (ep. #5). They actually manage to
>> resolve the "Grey's past catches up with him"/Wallace Kane (Colin
>> Cunningham) story fairly satisfactorily...
>
> Why does Dex blame Grey for endangering Ansel?

Because while doing the job for Kane, Ansel was kidnapped.

>> While Lex (and Ansel) have
>> to run the bar in Grey's mysterious absence - Lex also has to have
>> interview for a PI license at the same time!
>
> Garafalo isn't even cute any more. And why didn't she ask something like
> "when the Hell did you put in 1500 hours with this guy since last week?"

Maybe it's been a couple months...

>> - Det. Hoffman is
>> convinced that Kane is having Grey do a job, and so he "hires" Dex to
>> find Grey. It's not long before they're on Grey's trail, but Dex hits a
>> snag with Ansel... Meanwhile, Tookie is trying to impress a foot critic
>> at a "pop-up" at Grey's bar.
>
> But he can't get a toehold.
>
> Meanwhile his idea of 'cuisine' is to puke cilantro over everything? Better
> the brother is kidnapped and never seen again that to bring that crap back
> with him.

Other people don't have a problem with cilantro. ;)

Ian J. Ball

Nov 1, 2019, 11:43:42 AM11/1/19
On 2019-11-01 15:37:04 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Fri, 01 Nov 2019 06:36:35 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Stumptown (recorded) - "Bad Alibis" (ep. #5). They actually manage to
>> resolve the "Grey's past catches up with him"/Wallace Kane (Colin
>> Cunningham) story fairly satisfactorily...
>
> Why does Dex blame Grey for endangering Ansel?
>
>> While Lex (and Ansel) have
>> to run the bar in Grey's mysterious absence - Lex also has to have
>> interview for a PI license at the same time!
>
> Garafalo isn't even cute any more.

So that was her?! I couldn't be 100% sure, but I thought it more likely
was her than not...

> And why didn't she ask something like
> "when the Hell did you put in 1500 hours with this guy since last week?"

Yeah - the way the show has glossed over Dex getting her license is
very, very sloppy and annoying. Frankly, *all of season #1* should have
been about her earning her license, with her finally getting it in the
first season finale... :/

>> - Det. Hoffman is
>> convinced that Kane is having Grey do a job, and so he "hires" Dex to
>> find Grey. It's not long before they're on Grey's trail, but Dex hits a
>> snag with Ansel... Meanwhile, Tookie is trying to impress a foot critic
>> at a "pop-up" at Grey's bar.
>
> But he can't get a toehold.

Heh - that's a typo I *didn't* catch! Obviously that should say "food
critic" not "foot critic"!! ;)

anim8rfsk

Nov 1, 2019, 11:43:58 AM11/1/19
Fri, 01 Nov 2019 08:28:31 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
wrote:

> On 11/1/2019 6:36 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> > On another Halloween that I basically just ignored (I was never able to
> > find a plastic pumkin with an LED light inside!!...),
>
> I never have any decorations. It doesn't stop the kids from finding my
> house.

My decorations were all stolen Thursday morning, and I got 3 tiny children
that found the place, brought by their parents, to ask where the dragon was.
And that was it.

> Terminator: Dark Fate (theatrical) - Linda Hamilton returns to the
> franchise in this reboot that doesn't just ignore the Terminator movies
> after T2, it goes out of it's way to say they never did and never will
> happen! Although this movies does make it clear there *are* multiple
> timelines so I guess in some alternate timeline, they did actually
> happen. Anyway this time around Natalia Reyes plays the human in the
> present in need of protection from a robot sent from the future to kill
> her. Gabriel Luna plays the newest model Terminator, who is both liquid
> metal and endoskeleton, allowing him to split into two fully autonomous
> units for twice the terminating. Mackenzie Davis stars as an enhanced
> human from the future who thanks to her upgrades can go toe to toe with
> a Terminator, for a limited amount of time. They team up with Hamilton
> who serves as mentor. This one has been getting great reviews, and I
> agree this one is really good. Granted, I've generally liked the
> Terminator sequels, but this one definitely does stand out as one of the
> best sequels in the franchise. It has some truly stand out set pieces.
> It also has Arnold back, this time playing for the first time a
> Terminator with free will. I *really* liked "Carl" as his terminator
> went by. His character doesn't show up until about 2/3 in. But when he
> does, he steals the movie.

Looking forward to it!

suzeeq

Nov 1, 2019, 12:04:45 PM11/1/19
On 11/1/2019 8:43 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Fri, 01 Nov 2019 08:28:31 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/1/2019 6:36 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>> On another Halloween that I basically just ignored (I was never able to
>>> find a plastic pumkin with an LED light inside!!...),
>>
>> I never have any decorations. It doesn't stop the kids from finding my
>> house.
>
> My decorations were all stolen Thursday morning, and I got 3 tiny children
> that found the place, brought by their parents, to ask where the dragon was.
> And that was it.

:(

anim8rfsk

Nov 1, 2019, 12:32:16 PM11/1/19
Fri, 01 Nov 2019 08:41:39 -0700 suzeeq<su...@imbris.com> wrote:

> On 11/1/2019 8:37 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > Fri, 01 Nov 2019 06:36:35 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > Stumptown (recorded) - "Bad Alibis" (ep. #5). They actually manage to
> > > resolve the "Grey's past catches up with him"/Wallace Kane (Colin
> > > Cunningham) story fairly satisfactorily...
> >
> > Why does Dex blame Grey for endangering Ansel?
>
> Because while doing the job for Kane, Ansel was kidnapped.

But he had NOTHING to do with that.

> > > While Lex (and Ansel) have
> > > to run the bar in Grey's mysterious absence - Lex also has to have
> > > interview for a PI license at the same time!
> >
> > Garafalo isn't even cute any more. And why didn't she ask something like
> > "when the Hell did you put in 1500 hours with this guy since last week?"
> Maybe it's been a couple months...

Lol, and she put in 24/7?

> > > - Det. Hoffman is
> > > convinced that Kane is having Grey do a job, and so he "hires" Dex to
> > > find Grey. It's not long before they're on Grey's trail, but Dex hits a
> > > snag with Ansel... Meanwhile, Tookie is trying to impress a foot critic
> > > at a "pop-up" at Grey's bar.
> >
> > But he can't get a toehold.
> >
> > Meanwhile his idea of 'cuisine' is to puke cilantro over everything? Better
> > the brother is kidnapped and never seen again that to bring that crap back
> > with him.
>
> Other people don't have a problem with cilantro. ;)

Ptui.

anim8rfsk

Nov 1, 2019, 12:37:09 PM11/1/19
Fri, 01 Nov 2019 08:43:37 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2019-11-01 15:37:04 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
> > Fri, 01 Nov 2019 06:36:35 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > Stumptown (recorded) - "Bad Alibis" (ep. #5). They actually manage to
> > > resolve the "Grey's past catches up with him"/Wallace Kane (Colin
> > > Cunningham) story fairly satisfactorily...
> >
> > Why does Dex blame Grey for endangering Ansel?
> >
> > > While Lex (and Ansel) have
> > > to run the bar in Grey's mysterious absence - Lex also has to have
> > > interview for a PI license at the same time!
> >
> > Garafalo isn't even cute any more.
>
> So that was her?! I couldn't be 100% sure, but I thought it more likely
> was her than not...

Yeah, she was the incredibly accommodating PI license person.

> > And why didn't she ask something like
> > "when the Hell did you put in 1500 hours with this guy since last week?"
>
> Yeah - the way the show has glossed over Dex getting her license is
> very, very sloppy and annoying. Frankly, *all of season #1* should have
> been about her earning her license, with her finally getting it in the
> first season finale... :/

Or she could have just been a PI from the start, like in the comics.

> > > - Det. Hoffman is
> > > convinced that Kane is having Grey do a job, and so he "hires" Dex to
> > > find Grey. It's not long before they're on Grey's trail, but Dex hits a
> > > snag with Ansel... Meanwhile, Tookie is trying to impress a foot critic
> > > at a "pop-up" at Grey's bar.
> >
> > But he can't get a toehold.
>
> Heh - that's a typo I *didn't* catch! Obviously that should say "food
> critic" not "foot critic"!! ;)

:D

> > Meanwhile his idea of 'cuisine' is to puke cilantro over everything? Better
> > the brother is kidnapped and never seen again that to bring that crap back
> > with him.

And, you know, if the bar's owner is called out of town to help a sick
relative, you can always just put a sign on the door "Family emergency,
please check back tomorrow for thank you discounts" and lock the damn door
and go about your life. It's not like they run an emergency clinic that *has*
to stay open. Hell "Close for repairs" if you don't want to tell the truth.

anim8rfsk

Nov 1, 2019, 12:38:52 PM11/1/19
and the children went away sad! That was the worst part. Little girl who had
had her mom bring her by every morning for the last two weeks to see the
dragon. It was like somebody had kicked her puppy.

suzeeq

Nov 1, 2019, 1:01:26 PM11/1/19
On 11/1/2019 9:32 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Fri, 01 Nov 2019 08:41:39 -0700 suzeeq<su...@imbris.com> wrote:

>>> Why does Dex blame Grey for endangering Ansel?
>>
>> Because while doing the job for Kane, Ansel was kidnapped.
>
> But he had NOTHING to do with that.

Ansel - no. But he was leverage over Grey.

>>> Garafalo isn't even cute any more. And why didn't she ask something like
>>> "when the Hell did you put in 1500 hours with this guy since last week?"
>> Maybe it's been a couple months...
>
> Lol, and she put in 24/7?

She's supersleuth in disguise.

>>> But he can't get a toehold.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile his idea of 'cuisine' is to puke cilantro over everything? Better
>>> the brother is kidnapped and never seen again that to bring that crap back
>>> with him.
>>
>> Other people don't have a problem with cilantro. ;)
>
> Ptui.

Hey, at least it won't kill you.

suzeeq

Nov 1, 2019, 1:02:36 PM11/1/19
If you replace them, maybe don't put them up so early. Like, wait till
the day before, or morning of. And don't use ones that are so cool.

Ian J. Ball

Nov 1, 2019, 1:31:45 PM11/1/19
On 2019-11-01 15:40:42 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Fri, 01 Nov 2019 08:23:00 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 2019-11-01 13:36:35 +0000, Ian J. Ball said:
>>
>>> On another Halloween that I basically just ignored (I was never able to
>>> find a plastic pumkin with an LED light inside!!...), I just watched:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Halloween-Operated-Adjustable-Decorations-
> HANPURE/dp/B07488V9DD/

I was hoping to just walk into a store and get one. It looks like
WalMart may have this one too - that's the one store I didn't bother to
go to...

Ian J. Ball

Nov 1, 2019, 1:32:58 PM11/1/19
On 2019-11-01 15:43:55 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Fri, 01 Nov 2019 08:28:31 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/1/2019 6:36 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>
>>> On another Halloween that I basically just ignored (I was never able to
>>> find a plastic pumkin with an LED light inside!!...),
>>
>> I never have any decorations. It doesn't stop the kids from finding my
>> house.
>
> My decorations were all stolen Thursday morning, and I got 3 tiny children
> that found the place, brought by their parents, to ask where the dragon was.
> And that was it.

So, basically, you ruined those poor childrens' Halloween!! :o

anim8rfsk

Nov 1, 2019, 1:37:59 PM11/1/19
Fri, 01 Nov 2019 10:01:11 -0700 suzeeq<su...@imbris.com> wrote:

> On 11/1/2019 9:32 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> > > Because while doing the job for Kane, Ansel was kidnapped.
> >
> > But he had NOTHING to do with that.
>
> Ansel - no. But he was leverage over Grey.

But she doesn't need to be slapping Grey for that. Ain't his fault.

> > > Maybe it's been a couple months...
> >
> > Lol, and she put in 24/7?
>
> She's supersleuth in disguise.

> > > Other people don't have a problem with cilantro. ;)
> >
> > Ptui.
> Hey, at least it won't kill you.

It'll just make you wish it had.

anim8rfsk

Nov 1, 2019, 1:38:20 PM11/1/19
Then the terrorists win.

anim8rfsk

Nov 1, 2019, 1:39:26 PM11/1/19
Fri, 01 Nov 2019 10:31:39 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2019-11-01 15:40:42 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> > https://www.amazon.com/Halloween-Operated-Adjustable-Decorations-
> > HANPURE/dp/B07488V9DD/
>
> I was hoping to just walk into a store and get one. It looks like
> WalMart may have this one too - that's the one store I didn't bother to
> go to...

Walgreens has all kinds of stuff like that too.

Do you have Halloween stores? Sometimes they have huge close outs right now.

suzeeq

Nov 1, 2019, 3:13:12 PM11/1/19
But you don't lose.

Dimensional Traveler

Nov 1, 2019, 4:10:37 PM11/1/19
On 11/1/2019 8:43 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Fri, 01 Nov 2019 08:28:31 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/1/2019 6:36 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>> On another Halloween that I basically just ignored (I was never able to
>>> find a plastic pumkin with an LED light inside!!...),
>>
>> I never have any decorations. It doesn't stop the kids from finding my
>> house.
>
> My decorations were all stolen Thursday morning, and I got 3 tiny children
> that found the place, brought by their parents, to ask where the dragon was.
> And that was it.

The tradition of Trick-or-Treat seems to be dying out. I haven't had
any little monsters come around in several years. The city holds a
Halloween event to the kiddies downtown and appears to discourage the
door-to-door candy extortion.

--
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"

Dimensional Traveler

Nov 1, 2019, 4:11:50 PM11/1/19
But... but... then they wouldn't be cool and draw the kiddies!

Dimensional Traveler

Nov 1, 2019, 4:12:51 PM11/1/19
Are you saying Anim is a terrorist?! (Though you may have a point....)

suzeeq

Nov 1, 2019, 4:28:31 PM11/1/19
Yeah, the health club across the street held an event, what's left of
our mall usually does.

suzeeq

Nov 1, 2019, 4:28:54 PM11/1/19
On 11/1/2019 1:11 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 11/1/2019 10:02 AM, suzeeq wrote:

>>> and the children went away sad! That was the worst part. Little girl
>>> who had
>>> had her mom bring her by every morning for the last two weeks to see the
>>> dragon. It was like somebody had kicked her puppy.
>>>
>> If you replace them, maybe don't put them up so early. Like, wait till
>> the day before, or morning of. And don't use ones that are so cool.
>
> But... but... then they wouldn't be cool and draw the kiddies!

As well as the theives?

suzeeq

Nov 1, 2019, 4:29:41 PM11/1/19
On 11/1/2019 1:12 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 11/1/2019 12:12 PM, suzeeq wrote:

I said but...

shawn

Nov 1, 2019, 4:50:32 PM11/1/19
My local grocery store had a bunch of little kids running around from
station to station getting candy and playing games. They've been doing
that for quite a few years.

anim8rfsk

Nov 1, 2019, 5:26:54 PM11/1/19
When the terrorists win, we all lose.

anim8rfsk

Nov 1, 2019, 5:31:33 PM11/1/19
Fri, 01 Nov 2019 13:10:35 -0700 Dimensional Traveler<dtr...@sonic.net>
wrote:
The churches do that here.

anim8rfsk

Nov 1, 2019, 5:32:03 PM11/1/19
Fri, 01 Nov 2019 13:11:48 -0700 Dimensional Traveler<dtr...@sonic.net>
wrote:
Or the college girls looking for chocolate, none of which showed up this
year.

anim8rfsk

Nov 1, 2019, 5:37:09 PM11/1/19
Our grocery stores are already decorated for Xmas come Halloween.

suzeeq

Nov 1, 2019, 5:39:18 PM11/1/19
But they lose too.

anim8rfsk

Nov 1, 2019, 6:57:20 PM11/1/19
They get virgins

Ubiquitous

Nov 1, 2019, 8:31:28 PM11/1/19
In article <qphcd3$pjk$1...@dont-email.me>, IJB...@mac.invalid wrote:

>What did you watch?

On Halloween, I watched:

SUPERNATURAL:
"Ghostfacers". Sam and Dean star in a paranormal reality show that
takes them to an abandoned estate that turns into one of the most
haunted places in the U.S. for one night each year. I didn't watch
this completely.

SUPERNATURAL:
"Changing Channels". Sam and Dean are thrown into an alternate universe
where they become characters in various TV shows, including a medical
series, a Japanese game show, a forensics procedural and a sitcom.
Castiel warns them that if they don't find a way out soon, they will
become trapped inside forever by the Trickster.

SUPERNATURAL:
"Scoobynatural". Dean, Sam, and Cas find themselves transported into a
Scooby Doo cartoon. Meh.

CHARLIE'S ANGELS:
"Of Ghosts and Angels". Tiffany's recently married college friend
(Robin Mattson) is afraid that something in her new husband's old
house wants her out. Ho hum, an obligatory haunted house/ghost story
ep... I must be TV savey, but it was immediately obvious that
Tiffany's friend's husband was gaslighting his wealthy wife before
killing her for her money. That seems like a lot of work! Making
matters worse, they decided to make it a pyschic story by
expositioning that Tiffany used to be into the occult and was told
she's "gifted". @@ At the end, it turned out that someone's ghost
was warning Tiffany that her friend's husband was planning on
pushing her down the stairs during a costume party they were
holding, conveniently after being confined to a wheelchair. As per
the genre, they ignored the things that made no sense, like the
ghost trying to run them over with a car. Oh yeah, the mansion
looked damn familiar. Maybe it was Winchester House?

FAMILY GUY:
"Halloween on Spooner Street". Brian shows Stewie how to trick-or-treat.
Meanwhile, Peter and Joe play tricks on Quagmire while Meg hopes to get
lucky at a Halloween party dressed as a "slutty cat".

FAMILY GUY:
"Peternormal Activity". The guys visit an abandoned asylum, where they
hope to come up with ideas for their horror movie, but instead wind up
accidentally killing a man they mistakenly believe is holding them
hostage. Feeling guilty, they each try to pin the murder on one of the
others. Meanwhile, an annoyed Stewie wants to destroy Brian's glasses
because of how pretentious Brian's become since he started wearing
them.

HALLOWEEN:
When a psychopath escapes a mental institution after a long incarceration
for slaying his sister when he was six, he heads back to his hometown to
slake his bloodlust.

THE 13 SCARIEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
Dean Cain counts down the scariest movies of all time. I was immediately
skeptical because of the double-flag of it being on CW and it being only one
hour length, unlike Bravo's superlative "100 Scariest Movie Momnets"
https://youtu.be/cKF1zowIBkk
My suspicions were quickly confirmed it was crappy version. Dead Cain now
looks like Seth McFarlane and I have no clue who the "celebrity"
commentators were (I don't think they were even from the CW line up!) who
were making really vapid comments on movies I woiuldn't consider noteworthy:

Halloween (John Carpenter)
The Silence of the Lambs
Poltergeist (original)
The Sixth Sense
Night of the Living Dead (original)
It
Paranormal Activity
The Blair Witch Project
Get Out
The Ring
The Shining (original)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
The Exorcist

They also mentioned some "best mentions" that, IMHO, were better than chosen
ones.

MYSTERIES DECODED:
"Vampires of New Orleans". US Navy veteran turned private investigator
Jennifer Marshall heads to New Orleans and teams up with vampire/writer
Vincent Curiel to investigate whether an ancient vampire has cracked the
code on immortality. I got bored with the silly concept pretty quickly.

AMERICAN SUPER/NATURAL:
"Devil's Gate Dam". Why is this on THE WEATHER CHANNEL?

MOST TERRIFYING PLACES IN AMERICA:
This was listed as new, but it really was a repackaging of previous editions
into a two-hour show.

GHOST ADVENTURES:
"Curse of the Harrisville Farmhouse". Zak and the crew are joined by Andrea
Perron to investigate her infamous family home, which inspired the movie The
Conjuring.

--
Watching Democrats come up with schemes to "catch Trump" is like
watching Wile E. Coyote trying to catch Road Runner.

David Barnett

Nov 1, 2019, 10:55:55 PM11/1/19
In article <qphcd3$pjk$1...@dont-email.me>, IJB...@mac.invalid says...
> What did you watch?

On Thursday October 31, I watched

TOTAL CONTROL 1x3, which I found boring
except for a few seconds of passable upper female nudity.
Grade C-

--
David Barnett

David Barnett

Nov 3, 2019, 9:02:51 PM11/3/19
In article <0001HW.236CA4F307...@NEWS.EASYNEWS.COM>,
anim...@cox.net says...
> > > Ptui.
> > Hey, at least it won't kill you.
> It'll just make you wish it had.

LOL

--
David Barnett

anim8rfsk

Nov 3, 2019, 10:22:56 PM11/3/19
Sun, 03 Nov 2019 19:01:43 -0700 David Barnett<dbar...@bigpond.net.au>
wrote:
:)

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 8, 2019, 12:57:58 AM11/8/19
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

>Stumptown (recorded) - "Bad Alibis" (ep. #5). They actually manage to
>resolve the "Grey's past catches up with him"/Wallace Kane (Colin
>Cunningham) story fairly satisfactorily... While Lex (and Ansel) have
>to run the bar in Grey's mysterious absence - Lex also has to have
>interview for a PI license at the same time! - Det. Hoffman is
>convinced that Kane is having Grey do a job, and so he "hires" Dex to
>find Grey. It's not long before they're on Grey's trail, but Dex hits a
>snag with Ansel... Meanwhile, Tookie is trying to impress a foot critic
>at a "pop-up" at Grey's bar.

A foot critic? Is that a chiropidist?

I see Ian is no longer posting to stand-alone threads.

I guess I'm going to tolerate some things I shouldn't in this episode as
they did wrap up open plot point, like Grey's backstory and Dex getting
her license from a Janeane Garofalo (who didn't even check to see if Dex
had a pulse) who is now looking my age, but keeping her dark brunette
hair that nature gave her.

The crime Grey was forced to participate in made no sense. There was a
whole team of guys that Kane supposedly trusted, then he trusted no one
but Grey. At the crime scene, the only one we saw doing any criminal
work was Grey. Both the whiney guy and Kane were standing around doing
nothing. No one else from the pre-crime meeting was there. Not sure why
Kane wanted the whiney guy killed. It made no sense that he expected Grey
would go along with it.

Just like ABSCAM and Whitey Bulger, C.I. (retroactive? Who knew) after
the fact is carte blanche to commit felonies.

Ansel had a lot to do in this episode and I'm glad they're writing him
with some sense (more than his sister).

Glad that Tookie isn't being used as the Whitey character. There really
hasn't been one on a lot of these episodes. We learn there was a guy in
the kitchen.

Much of Dex's blow out fight scene didn't track, like picking up the
knife and then cutting to strangling him with a towel in such a way that
he wasn't killed. They didn't do the cliche of throwing hot grease in
his face.

It really bothered me that Dex didn't seem to notice or care that Dex
was missing.

Did you see Michael Ealy acting? Wow. That was dramatic. I say he should
submit this episode and be awarded two Emmys.

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 8, 2019, 1:01:42 AM11/8/19
suzeeq <su...@imbris.com> wrote:
>On 11/1/2019 8:37 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Fri, 01 Nov 2019 06:36:35 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Stumptown (recorded) - "Bad Alibis" (ep. #5). They actually manage to
>>> resolve the "Grey's past catches up with him"/Wallace Kane (Colin
>>> Cunningham) story fairly satisfactorily...
>>
>> Why does Dex blame Grey for endangering Ansel?
>
>Because while doing the job for Kane, Ansel was kidnapped.
>>
>>> While Lex (and Ansel) have
>>> to run the bar in Grey's mysterious absence - Lex also has to have
>>> interview for a PI license at the same time!
>>
>> Garafalo isn't even cute any more. And why didn't she ask something like
>> "when the Hell did you put in 1500 hours with this guy since last week?"
>>
>Maybe it's been a couple months...
>
>>> - Det. Hoffman is
>>> convinced that Kane is having Grey do a job, and so he "hires" Dex to
>>> find Grey. It's not long before they're on Grey's trail, but Dex hits a
>>> snag with Ansel... Meanwhile, Tookie is trying to impress a foot critic
>>> at a "pop-up" at Grey's bar.
>>
>> But he can't get a toehold.
>>
>> Meanwhile his idea of 'cuisine' is to puke cilantro over everything? Better
>> the brother is kidnapped and never seen again that to bring that crap back
>> with him.
>
>Other people don't have a problem with cilantro. ;)

My mother doesn't want to be overwhelmed with the flavor of cilantro.
Cooks who use it don't grasp the concept of subtlety. It's either none
whatsoever, or you notice the taste in every bite.

Ian J. Ball

Nov 8, 2019, 9:25:46 AM11/8/19
Somewon's a meanie!! :(

Micky DuPree

Nov 14, 2019, 8:56:33 PM11/14/19
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

> I never have any decorations. It doesn't stop the kids from finding
> my house. This year I had to leave so I put out a bowl of candy with
> a note to take one. I have a doorbell camera, so I was able to
> remotely watch a few trick or treaters. I was surprised when a couple
> of actually held up the candy to the camera to show they were only
> taking one. I guess they must have correctly guessed they were being
> watched. I kept wondering when I got home if there would be any candy
> left or if someone would steal it all. To my shock, when I came home
> all the candy I left out was gone, but there was new candy in the
> bowl. I'm sure I left way more candy than there would have been trick
> or treaters. Now I wonder if maybe someone did actually steal all the
> candy and as new kids came and saw the empty bowl, they left new candy
> behind for others. That's my best guess.

Your candy bowl was a microcosm of the best and worst of human nature.

> After deleting 8 episodes of "Perfect Harmony" without ever even
> sampling the pilot, I watched:

It's not that bad, really, but I also can't jump up and down and say,
"Everyone, you MUST see this." It's just O.K.

> The Good Place - "A Chi Driver Mystery" - One obnoxious human's bad
> behavior gets so bad that even Chidi takes a stand. The entire
> episode had a framing device of Michael talking to evil Janet. When I
> see framing devices like that I think those scenes weren't in the
> original script, but added in after the fact for other reasons. That
> being said, Michael gave something to evil Janet that I'm sure will
> turn out to not be what he said it was.

I was immediately suspicious of Michael's little gift too.

-Micky

Arthur Lipscomb

Nov 15, 2019, 2:17:29 PM11/15/19
On 11/14/2019 5:56 PM, Micky DuPree wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:
>
>> I never have any decorations. It doesn't stop the kids from finding
>> my house. This year I had to leave so I put out a bowl of candy with
>> a note to take one. I have a doorbell camera, so I was able to
>> remotely watch a few trick or treaters. I was surprised when a couple
>> of actually held up the candy to the camera to show they were only
>> taking one. I guess they must have correctly guessed they were being
>> watched. I kept wondering when I got home if there would be any candy
>> left or if someone would steal it all. To my shock, when I came home
>> all the candy I left out was gone, but there was new candy in the
>> bowl. I'm sure I left way more candy than there would have been trick
>> or treaters. Now I wonder if maybe someone did actually steal all the
>> candy and as new kids came and saw the empty bowl, they left new candy
>> behind for others. That's my best guess.
>
> Your candy bowl was a microcosm of the best and worst of human nature.

I caught the tail end of a news segment the other day where they were
saying kids leaving candy behind is a thing now. I can assure you when
I was a kid, leaving candy behind was *not* a thing! LOL

>> After deleting 8 episodes of "Perfect Harmony" without ever even
>> sampling the pilot, I watched:
>
> It's not that bad, really, but I also can't jump up and down and say,
> "Everyone, you MUST see this." It's just O.K.
>

>> The Good Place - "A Chi Driver Mystery" - One obnoxious human's bad
>> behavior gets so bad that even Chidi takes a stand. The entire
>> episode had a framing device of Michael talking to evil Janet. When I
>> see framing devices like that I think those scenes weren't in the
>> original script, but added in after the fact for other reasons. That
>> being said, Michael gave something to evil Janet that I'm sure will
>> turn out to not be what he said it was.
>
> I was immediately suspicious of Michael's little gift too.
>
> -Micky

Having just watched the finale, the framing device now makes overall
sense with how the series ended. They *needed* to get Michael and evil
Janet together for an extended heart to heart so it could pay off later.
The gift was referenced in the pay off too, but it turned out to be
exactly what Michael said it was. Now that I think about it, if the
gift had been some sort of Trojan horse, it actually would have backfired.

Micky DuPree

Nov 24, 2019, 10:35:22 PM11/24/19
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

> On 11/14/2019 5:56 PM, Micky DuPree wrote:

>> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

>>> I never have any decorations. It doesn't stop the kids from finding
>>> my house. This year I had to leave so I put out a bowl of candy
>>> with a note to take one. I have a doorbell camera, so I was able to
>>> remotely watch a few trick or treaters. I was surprised when a
>>> couple of actually held up the candy to the camera to show they were
>>> only taking one. I guess they must have correctly guessed they were
>>> being watched. I kept wondering when I got home if there would be
>>> any candy left or if someone would steal it all. To my shock, when
>>> I came home all the candy I left out was gone, but there was new
>>> candy in the bowl. I'm sure I left way more candy than there would
>>> have been trick or treaters. Now I wonder if maybe someone did
>>> actually steal all the candy and as new kids came and saw the empty
>>> bowl, they left new candy behind for others. That's my best guess.
>>
>> Your candy bowl was a microcosm of the best and worst of human
>> nature.
>
> I caught the tail end of a news segment the other day where they were
> saying kids leaving candy behind is a thing now. I can assure you
> when I was a kid, leaving candy behind was *not* a thing! LOL

It wasn't when I was a kid either, but then neither was leaving an
unattended bowl of candy. I wouldn't have minded parting with some
kinds of candy when I was a kid. Other kids would have been welcome to
take my candy cigarettes and wax bottles of fake soda pop. Ditto for
Necco wafers.

>>> The Good Place - "A Chi Driver Mystery" - One obnoxious human's bad
>>> behavior gets so bad that even Chidi takes a stand. The entire
>>> episode had a framing device of Michael talking to evil Janet. When
>>> I see framing devices like that I think those scenes weren't in the
>>> original script, but added in after the fact for other reasons.
>>> That being said, Michael gave something to evil Janet that I'm sure
>>> will turn out to not be what he said it was.
>>
>> I was immediately suspicious of Michael's little gift too.
>
> Having just watched the finale ...

There's more to come.

> ... the framing device now makes overall sense with how the series
> ended. They *needed* to get Michael and evil Janet together for an
> extended heart to heart so it could pay off later.
> The gift was referenced in the pay off too, but it turned out to be
> exactly what Michael said it was. Now that I think about it, if the
> gift had been some sort of Trojan horse, it actually would have
> backfired.

It's weird to me that Evil Janet was more redeemable than human Brent
(and, being a Janet, didn't already know what was in the book).

The decision of the Judge flew in the face of the accepted premise of
the whole system, which was that human souls had free will, and that
some would therefore choose Good while others would not. The
experiment proved exactly that, and yet because of a less than 100%
redemption rate, all human souls (presumably even those who had already
earned their way to the Real Good Place in the past) were to be wiped
from existence? I'm not following the logic. The Judge seemed to find
the results messy and was more interested in the improved aesthetics of
starting over with a clean slate than in any notion of Good and Evil.

-Micky