What Did You Watch? 2018-06-07 (Thursday)

Ubiquitous

Jun 8, 2018, 7:27:41 AM6/8/18
I watched:

CHARLIE'S ANGELS:
"Bullseye". While Jill and Kelly attend boot camp, Sabrina poses as
an Army nurse as they investigate the shooting of a WAC.

FAMILY GUY:
"A Lot Going on Upstairs". Stewie's plagued by nightmares that drive
him from his own bed, but it sends a frustrated Peter to sleep in
the attic, which he transforms into a popular man cave, much to
Lois' chagrin.

FAMILY GUY:
"An App A Day". Peter overloads his phone with apps. He buys a new
phone with more memory, gives his old phone to Chris, who gets
labelled a sex offender after sending a girl a picture of his penis.
Stewie joins a tennis club and invites Brian to be his tennis
partner.

RUPAUL'S DRAG RACE:
"Evil Twins". I started to watch this, then quit when I discovered
gross Lena Dunham was a guest judge.

GOMER PYLE, USMC:
"The Price of Tomatoes". Gomer befriends a couple who claim Camp
Henderson is on their land. Hey, it's "Uncle Jessie"!

WKRP IN CINCINNATI:
"Hotel Oceanview". Andy, Herb and Mr. Carlson journey to Dayton in
hopes of impressing a designer and landing her prestigious jeans
account, where Herb meets high-school classmate who has undergone a
remarkable transformation. Hokey smokes, that was funny!

What did you watch?

Ian J. Ball

Jun 8, 2018, 2:36:04 PM6/8/18
On 2018-06-08 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

I got to take it easier yesterday, so a fair amount:

Singularity (The Netflix) - I thought this was better than the 4.3 IMDb
rating would suggest. Which is not to that it was "good"... but I
thought it was at least somewhat "interesting". In the way this was
filmed, it sort of reminded me of "Garm Wars: The Last Druid" (which I
saw a few months back...). Also, the "set-up" over the first 10 or so
minutes was somewhat better than the rest.
Anyway, this was highly derivative of multiple scifi works, most
especially "Terminator" (vis a vis Skynet).
It looks like this project mostly involved a Swiss crew and cast, so
I'm not sure how they got John Cusack and Carmen Argenziano to do this.
(Is Cusack another one like Nick Cage that is bankrupt IRL, and has to
take any job that comes his way?!... ;p )
Anyway, I thought this was OK, and I'm glad I took a chance on it.
(Others may not agree! :p )

The Expanse (recorded) - "Intransigence" (ep. #3.9). We find out what's
"inside the ring", and it turns out to be a "bubble" of "null space"(?)
with some sort of spherical planetoid(?) at its center.
The idiots on the Roci crew finally figure out that the film crew
(esp. the cameraman) are up to no good, and have sabotaged the ship,
and wisely ask them to "leave" (i.e. they are sent out into the "null
space" in spacesuits, and as Bobbie's Mars ship has also entered the
"bubble", they are sent there, with a message...). In the end, "Miller"
tells Holden to go to the planetoid at the center of the "null space".
Meanwhile, Drummer orders the "Outers'" ship into the Ring/bubble
too, and then Naomi deserts to go rejoin the Roci's crew. Anna
conspires (with "Bitten's" Ginelle Williams!) to stay on the UN ship at
the Ring after all civilians are ordered off. And we find out what
motivates the terrorist, Melba.

Taken (recorded) - "Password" (ep. #2.11). Finally got around to the
episode that aired in April, just before the show was pulled from the
air (it came back in late May, on Saturday nights...).
Anyway, this was mostly a "Killroy" (the Hacker) episode, as he and
the team work to clear an innocent Indian American framed for a
terrorist bombing that was targetting a D.C. city councilman. Brittany
Allen had a important guest role in this episode, and looked to be set
up for a return appearance. Also, Tahmoh Penikett shows up again as
Christina's main rival - the unscrupulous dude who operates the
military contractor group.

Clock & Dagger (SQUIGGLE!!) - Two-hour series premiere. This was all
right. It did spend a heck of a lot of time on "character development",
probably more than any other show in this similar genre has.
Unfortunately, the problem here is that I find Olivia Holt's character
to be mostly unsympathetic...
Also, I will say that this is taking a long time to get going - even
after 2-hours, the two leads have barely scratched the surface of
using/controlling their "powers".
But, overall, I liked this more than, say, either "Impulse" or
"Runaways". Of course, it helps that the cast includes Emma Lahana -
having her around (as the dogged police detective on the case!) will a
lot in getting this to go down easier!... ;)

Recorded for later: Imposters (the season 2, and likely series
finale... [sigh...] :( ).

David Barnett

Jun 8, 2018, 8:57:58 PM6/8/18
In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, web...@polaris.net says...

> What did you watch?

On Thursday June 7 I watched:

LUCIFER: Once Upon a Time
I liked this one better than the previous one.
Grade B

HAWAII 5-0: Ancients Exposed
Did a submarine occur in real life?
Season final.
Grade C

GRANTCHESTER: Christmas Episode (no CC)
Diction wasn't too bad.
Grade B-

C.B.STRIKE: 1x6 Career of Evil (1)
Grade A, but Part 1 always seems better than Part 2.

--
David Barnett

Arthur Lipscomb

Jun 8, 2018, 10:50:26 PM6/8/18
On 6/8/2018 11:36 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2018-06-08 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> I got to take it easier yesterday, so a fair amount:
>
> Singularity (The Netflix) - I thought this was better than the 4.3 IMDb
> rating would suggest.

No, no it's not. 4.3 is *generous* to say the least.

Which is not to that it was "good"... but I
> thought it was at least somewhat "interesting".

I'll concede that.

In the way this was
> filmed, it sort of reminded me of "Garm Wars: The Last Druid" (which I
> saw a few months back...). Also, the "set-up" over the first 10 or so
> minutes was somewhat better than the rest.

I think the set-up you're referring to were 100% reshoots after the
movie was already made. Anything with Cusack was reshoot tacked on
after the movie was filmed. And yes, those were better than the rest.

>   Anyway, this was highly derivative of multiple scifi works, most
> especially "Terminator" (vis a vis Skynet).
>   It looks like this project mostly involved a Swiss crew and cast, so
> I'm not sure how they got John Cusack and Carmen Argenziano to do this.
> (Is Cusack another one like Nick Cage that is bankrupt IRL, and has to
> take any job that comes his way?!...  ;p  )
>   Anyway, I thought this was OK, and I'm glad I took a chance on it.
> (Others may not agree!  :p  )

I commented on this not too long ago. I don't remember what I said
about it, but I'm sure it wasn't nice.

snip

> Clock & Dagger (SQUIGGLE!!) - Two-hour series premiere. This was all
> right. It did spend a heck of a lot of time on "character development",
> probably more than any other show in this similar genre has.
> Unfortunately, the problem here is that I find Olivia Holt's character
> to be mostly unsympathetic...
>  Also, I will say that this is taking a long time to get going - even
> after 2-hours, the two leads have barely scratched the surface of
> using/controlling their "powers".
>  But, overall, I liked this more than, say, either "Impulse" or
> "Runaways". Of course, it helps that the cast includes Emma Lahana -
> having her around (as the dogged police detective on the case!) will a
> lot in getting this to go down easier!...  ;)

I also watched this. I guess I generally felt the same.

I'll do a two day catch up tomorrow.

IAM

Jun 8, 2018, 11:01:36 PM6/8/18
On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 7:50:26 PM UTC-7, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 6/8/2018 11:36 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> > On 2018-06-08 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

I AM watching Los Angeles and Deep State hunt Americans, live too. Cool eh? TV is unreality. You can pay me for seeing this too live. I take donations now. #lolz

Ian J. Ball

Jun 8, 2018, 11:34:42 PM6/8/18
One thing I forgot to mention - the eventual ending/solution to the
"mystery" was kind of obvious from pretty early on.

Also, just like "Garm Wars", this one also had an ending that strongly,
*strongly* hints at a sequel, that will almost certainly never come...

> I commented on this not too long ago. I don't remember what I said
> about it, but I'm sure it wasn't nice.

Wow - I had to go *way* back to find your comments!!

This is your review, from the 2018-01-07 WDYW? thread!:

> Singularity (Netflix rental) - Straight rip off of Terminator
> Salvation. John Cusack, I guess stars as a CEO who builds an AI
> called Skynet, I mean Kronos to solve the worlds problems. Kronus
> which just happens to be tied into most of the world's military decides
> killing all humans will solve the worlds problems. The movie then
> jumps ahead a century (don't worry that doesn't mean Cusack isn't still
> around as a main character) where we meat a Terminator that thinks it's
> a human from the present, built to infiltrate the human resistance and
> lead Skynet, I mean Kronos to their secret hiding place. About 5
> minutes in when the movie went from near future in a city with Cusack
> to distance future in open space and no tech, I thought to myself this
> is a totally different movie and I bet they edited Cusack into it.
> Sure enough when the movie was over I looked it up on wiki and that's
> exactly what they did. It was kind of obvious since all of Cusacks
> scenes were shot in a city skyscraper, even the post apocalyptic future
> ones, and he is always monologist to himself or talking to one other
> actor. But the bulk of the movie focuses on the Terminator who thinks
> he's a human from the present, connecting with a human female love
> interest as they search for the last human sanctuary.

OK, I agree that this is a "Terminator" ripoff, but your review here
isn't *that* negative.

It's interesting about Cusack scenes though. I ask again - is Cusack
bankrupt in real life, forcing him to take on parts like this, just
like Nick Cage?!

Anyway, like I said - while I wouldn't describe this as "good", I
actually don't think it's all that bad...

anim8rfsk

Jun 8, 2018, 11:40:27 PM6/8/18
In article <pfff9f$tfj$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> On 6/8/2018 11:36 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> > On 2018-06-08 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
> >
> >> What did you watch?
> >
> > I got to take it easier yesterday, so a fair amount:
> >
> > Singularity (The Netflix) - I thought this was better than the 4.3 IMDb
> > rating would suggest.
>
> No, no it's not. 4.3 is *generous* to say the least.

I'd give it a 16.9

> Which is not to that it was "good"... but I
> > thought it was at least somewhat "interesting".
>
> I'll concede that.
>
> In the way this was
> > filmed, it sort of reminded me of "Garm Wars: The Last Druid" (which I
> > saw a few months back...). Also, the "set-up" over the first 10 or so
> > minutes was somewhat better than the rest.
>
> I think the set-up you're referring to were 100% reshoots after the
> movie was already made. Anything with Cusack was reshoot tacked on
> after the movie was filmed. And yes, those were better than the rest.
>
> >   Anyway, this was highly derivative of multiple scifi works, most
> > especially "Terminator" (vis a vis Skynet).
> >   It looks like this project mostly involved a Swiss crew and cast, so
> > I'm not sure how they got John Cusack and Carmen Argenziano to do this.
> > (Is Cusack another one like Nick Cage that is bankrupt IRL, and has to
> > take any job that comes his way?!...  ;p  )
> >   Anyway, I thought this was OK, and I'm glad I took a chance on it.
> > (Others may not agree!  :p  )
> >

> I commented on this not too long ago. I don't remember what I said
> about it, but I'm sure it wasn't nice.

Added to my list

> snip
> >
> > Clock & Dagger (SQUIGGLE!!) - Two-hour series premiere. This was all
> > right. It did spend a heck of a lot of time on "character development",
> > probably more than any other show in this similar genre has.
> > Unfortunately, the problem here is that I find Olivia Holt's character
> > to be mostly unsympathetic...
> >  Also, I will say that this is taking a long time to get going - even
> > after 2-hours, the two leads have barely scratched the surface of
> > using/controlling their "powers".
> >  But, overall, I liked this more than, say, either "Impulse" or
> > "Runaways". Of course, it helps that the cast includes Emma Lahana -
> > having her around (as the dogged police detective on the case!) will a
> > lot in getting this to go down easier!...  ;)
> >

> I also watched this. I guess I generally felt the same.

I just didn't care. I made it maybe halfway into the first ep and
pushed stop and erase.

> I'll do a two day catch up tomorrow.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Jim G.

Jun 9, 2018, 2:38:52 PM6/9/18
Ubiquitous sent the following on 06/08/2018 at 03:30 AM:
> What did you watch?

MARVEL'S CLOAK & DAGGER / 1x01 / First Light

[Two teenagers from very different backgrounds find themselves burdened
and awakened to newly acquired superpowers which are mysteriously linked
to one another. The only constant in their lives is danger and each other.]

MARVEL'S CLOAK & DAGGER / 1x02 / Suicide Sprints

[Tandy and Tyrone try to grasp what has happened to them with their
new-found powers, while Tandy’s past catches up with her and Tyrone
becomes consumed with revenge. Meanwhile, Detective Brigid O’Reilly
works an interesting case that has ties to Tandy.]

Trippy stuff. Trippier than I was expecting. Not a bad start, but lots
and lots of table-setting to the point where the title characters have
only spent a few minutes of screen time together, and much of that was
as their younger versions. Other than that, I like Tyrone and find Tandy
to be a mixed bag of good and annoying and downright useless.

Grade: B for the pilot, B- for the second effort

IMPOSTERS / 2x10 / See You Soon, Macaroon

[Niagara Falls is the backdrop as the Bumblers, Maddie, Max, Sally, and
Sofia try to stay one step ahead of the Doctor in an attempt to ensure
their freedom and make the score of a lifetime. Series Finale.]

They did a great job of wrapping things up and setting up a small tease
for a season three that probably won't happen anywhere. But at least
Ezra ended up with Sofia and her eyebrows. Probably. Now he just needs
to stop thinking stupid thoughts about continuing on the path he's on.
Take the money and the cute eyebrows and go make a life, dude.

Grade: B+

"Oh, my god. That's tragic. It's like a Hallmark movie. But with
tentacles." -- Dean Winchester, SUPERNATURAL

Jim G.

Jun 9, 2018, 2:39:25 PM6/9/18
Ian J. Ball sent the following on 06/08/2018 at 01:36 PM:
> On 2018-06-08 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> I got to take it easier yesterday, so a fair amount:
>
> Singularity (The Netflix) - I thought this was better than the 4.3 IMDb
> rating would suggest.

I just wanted to see that again. :)

> Clock & Dagger (SQUIGGLE!!) - Two-hour series premiere. This was all
> right. It did spend a heck of a lot of time on "character development",
> probably more than any other show in this similar genre has.

Yep.

> Unfortunately, the problem here is that I find Olivia Holt's character
> to be mostly unsympathetic...

Yep. She also looks too much like the daughter on THE GIFTED. These
Marvel casting types seem to have a look that they like. OTOH, I like
Tyrone and the younger Tandy is as cute as a sack of puppies.

> Also, I will say that this is taking a long time to get going - even
> after 2-hours, the two leads have barely scratched the surface of
> using/controlling their "powers".
> But, overall, I liked this more than, say, either "Impulse" or
> "Runaways".

I can only compare it to RUNAWAYS, and it's not quite as good as that
one. So far, anyway. The larger main cast of RUNAWAYS probably helps.