Netflix's "Lost in Space" gets 6.3 million viewers in first weekend

David

Apr 24, 2018, 6:34:06 PM4/24/18
http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/lost-in-space-netflix-ratings-nielsen-1202785547/

Netflix ‘Lost in Space’ Reboot Draws 6.3 Million Viewers in First 3
Days, Nielsen Says
By Todd Spangler

“Lost in Space,” one of Netflix’s newest high-profile original series,
drew 6.3 million U.S. viewers within the first three days of its
release earlier this month, according to Nielsen.

In addition, in the first 72 hours of release (April 13-15) of all 10
epsiodes, “Lost in Space” viewers on average watched the show for 2.5
hours, per Nielsen. The media-measurement firm found the series was
heavily binged — with almost 1.2 million people having watched the
series’ final episode within those three days.

anim8rfsk

Apr 24, 2018, 9:24:44 PM4/24/18
In article <s4cvdd5dbu4qjs01s...@4ax.com>,
David <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/lost-in-space-netflix-ratings-nielsen-120
> 2785547/
>
> Netflix ‘Lost in Space’ Reboot Draws 6.3 Million Viewers in First 3
> Days, Nielsen Says
> By Todd Spangler
>
> “Lost in Space,” one of Netflix’s newest high-profile original series,
> drew 6.3 million U.S. viewers within the first three days of its
> release earlier this month, according to Nielsen.
>
> In addition, in the first 72 hours of release (April 13-15) of all 10
> epsiodes, “Lost in Space” viewers on average watched the show for 2.5
> hours, per Nielsen. The media-measurement firm found the series was
> heavily binged — with almost 1.2 million people having watched the
> series’ final episode within those three days.

beat me to it! More info:

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/04/24/business/ap-us-nielsens.html

Nielsen Data Shows Binging for Netflix's 'Lost in Space'
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESSAPRIL 24, 2018, 3:58 P.M. E.D.T.

NEW YORK ‹ An estimated 6.3 million people saw the premiere of Netflix's
"Lost in Space" within the first three days that the streaming service
made it available this month, a promising start that would make it one
of the outlet's more popular series after the phenomenon of "Stranger
Things."

The Nielsen company is starting to draw the curtain back on some of the
user numbers for streaming services, which have been reluctant to do so
on their own.

"We've had a lot of anxiety among our clients about sharing this data
with you," said Brian Fuhrer, senior vice president of product
leadership for Nielsen, on Tuesday, "because they're still learning it."

Nielsen's data also shows the impact of binging: the average "Lost in
Space" viewer watched the show for two and a half hours on those first
few days. Netflix released 10 separate one-hour episodes of the show on
April 13 and, within three days, nearly 1.2 million people watched the
last episode, a clear indication they'd seen the whole season.

Roughly 10 percent of the total time spent watching television now is
spent with streaming services, Nielsen said. The number approaches
one-quarter of all viewing among viewers aged 12 to 17. Netflix
dominates, with 49 percent of the streaming viewing coming on their
service. YouTube's 10 percent is the second-highest individual service,
Nielsen said.

Continue reading the main story
For all of the attention that new series put on by the streaming
services gets, Nielsen said that 80 percent of the viewing goes to older
programs like "Friends."

Four years ago, 88 percent of television viewing came on cable or
satellite. Now that number is down to 79 percent, an indication of the
impact of cord cutting, Nielsen said.

On the broadcast networks last week, ABC's "Roseanne" was again the
week's most-watched show.

CBS easily won the week in prime time, averaging 6.7 million viewers.
NBC had 4.8 million viewers, ABC had 4.4 million, Fox had 3 million,
Univision had 1.6 million, ION Television had 1.3 million, the CW had
1.2 million and Telemundo had 1.1 million.

TNT was the week's most popular cable network, averaging 3.06 million
viewers in prime time. Fox News Channel had 2.37 million, MSNBC had 1.94
million, HGTV had 1.35 million and ESPN had 1.3 million.

ABC's "World News Tonight" topped the evening newscasts with an average
of 8.5 million viewers. NBC's "Nightly News" was second with 7.9 million
and the "CBS Evening News" had 6 million viewers.

For the week of April 16-22, the top 10 shows, their networks and
viewerships: "Roseanne," ABC, 13.27 million; "The Big Bang Theory," CBS,
12.91 million; "Young Sheldon," CBS, 11.67 million; "NCIS," CBS, 11.44
million; "Bull," CBS, 10.83 million; "The Voice" (Monday, 8 p.m.), NBC,
9.35 million; "60 Minutes," CBS, 9.02 million; "Mom," CBS, 8.83 million;
"NCIS: New Orleans," CBS, 8.46 million; "The Voice" (Wednesday, 8 p.m.),
NBC, 8.39 million.

Also see
https://decider.com/2018/04/24/lost-in-space-nielsen-ratings/

Which says Lost in Space was second behind Stranger Things, but the
chart says Defenders blew it away as well.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Obveeus

Apr 24, 2018, 10:05:02 PM4/24/18

On 4/24/2018 9:24 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <s4cvdd5dbu4qjs01s...@4ax.com>,
> David <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/lost-in-space-netflix-ratings-nielsen-120
>> 2785547/
>>
>> Netflix ‘Lost in Space’ Reboot Draws 6.3 Million Viewers in First 3
>> Days, Nielsen Says

More than the 4million for the first 3 days of STRANGER THINGS 2, but
waaaaayyyy less than the 11million over the first three days that BRIGHT
gathered.

> Continue reading the main story
> For all of the attention that new series put on by the streaming
> services gets, Nielsen said that 80 percent of the viewing goes to older
> programs like "Friends."

Which is kinda sad.

> Also see
> https://decider.com/2018/04/24/lost-in-space-nielsen-ratings/
>
> Which says Lost in Space was second behind Stranger Things, but the
> chart says Defenders blew it away as well.

Notice that the chart is for the premiere date while the other articles
are about the first three days. So, in that chart, the taller stacks of
colored episodes do more to reveal extreme binging than unique viewers.

anim8rfsk

Apr 24, 2018, 10:23:44 PM4/24/18
In article <pbonoc$pe3$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 4/24/2018 9:24 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <s4cvdd5dbu4qjs01s...@4ax.com>,
> > David <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/lost-in-space-netflix-ratings-nielsen-
> >> 120
> >> 2785547/
> >>
> >> Netflix ‘Lost in Space’ Reboot Draws 6.3 Million Viewers in First 3
> >> Days, Nielsen Says
>
> More than the 4million for the first 3 days of STRANGER THINGS 2, but
> waaaaayyyy less than the 11million over the first three days that BRIGHT
> gathered.

And the falloff ep to ep is severe, but that may fill in as non bingers
watch the remaining eps.

Obveeus

Apr 24, 2018, 10:33:19 PM4/24/18

On 4/24/2018 10:23 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <pbonoc$pe3$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On 4/24/2018 9:24 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>> More than the 4million for the first 3 days of STRANGER THINGS 2, but
>> waaaaayyyy less than the 11million over the first three days that BRIGHT
>> gathered.
>
> And the falloff ep to ep is severe, but that may fill in as non bingers
> watch the remaining eps.

I'm sure that a lot of the ability to binge watch is affected by what
else is going on that weekend, such as what films come out in theaters
and what sporting events are airing over the weekend.

For example, the huge numbers for BRIGHT are likely in part to the
proximity to Christmas, so many people had free time if they weren't
last minute shopping. The weather was cold and the stores were
busy...much reason to stay at home.

anim8rfsk

Apr 25, 2018, 12:39:43 AM4/25/18
In article <pbopdd$1np$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
Where do you live that the weather is cold at Christmas? ;)

Obveeus

Apr 25, 2018, 8:27:49 AM4/25/18

On 4/25/2018 12:39 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <pbopdd$1np$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/24/2018 10:23 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>>> And the falloff ep to ep is severe, but that may fill in as non bingers
>>> watch the remaining eps.
>>
>> I'm sure that a lot of the ability to binge watch is affected by what
>> else is going on that weekend, such as what films come out in theaters
>> and what sporting events are airing over the weekend.
>>
>> For example, the huge numbers for BRIGHT are likely in part to the
>> proximity to Christmas, so many people had free time if they weren't
>> last minute shopping. The weather was cold and the stores were
>> busy...much reason to stay at home.
>
> Where do you live that the weather is cold at Christmas? ;)

The northern hemisphere.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Apr 25, 2018, 11:29:40 AM4/25/18
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote in
Hey, Christmas is cold here. Sometimes it gets down into the 60s. I
have to dig out a jacket because I don't own any long-sleeved
shirts.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Apr 25, 2018, 11:30:39 AM4/25/18
Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote in
I live in southern California, well north of the equator. Cold
winter weather here is in the 60s. 50s at night, when sensible
peole are asleep. I believe your premise is flawed.

Dimensional Traveler

Apr 25, 2018, 11:57:45 AM4/25/18
On 4/25/2018 8:30 AM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote in
>

>> On 4/25/2018 12:39 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>>> Where do you live that the weather is cold at Christmas? ;)
>>
>> The northern hemisphere.
>
> I live in southern California, well north of the equator. Cold
> winter weather here is in the 60s. 50s at night, when sensible
> peole are asleep. I believe your premise is flawed.

Anim complains that its freezing when the temperature drops below 80,
so.... :D

instinct are running screaming.

Obveeus

Apr 25, 2018, 1:11:57 PM4/25/18
Yep...50s and 60s is way too cold for anyone to be going outside there.
Thus higher TV ratings in the cold winter months.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Apr 25, 2018, 1:33:11 PM4/25/18
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in
And my brother in Nebraska compalins about the spring heat wave
when it's in the 40s.

But we know Anim is a cranky old coot. (But then, so is my
brother.)

anim8rfsk

Apr 25, 2018, 1:50:23 PM4/25/18
In article <pbqcsp$ucd$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 4/25/2018 11:57 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> > On 4/25/2018 8:30 AM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> >> Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote in

> >> I live in southern California, well north of the equator. Cold
> >> winter weather here is in the 60s. 50s at night, when sensible
> >> peole are asleep. I believe your premise is flawed.
> >>
> > Anim complains that its freezing when the temperature drops below 80,
> > so....  :D
>

> Yep...50s and 60s is way too cold for anyone to be going outside there.
> Thus higher TV ratings in the cold winter months.

Hey, I'll concede February is cold, but Christmas? ASU students that
don't go home for the holidays famously sunbathe on Xmas Day.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Apr 25, 2018, 2:14:58 PM4/25/18
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote in
I used to call my sister on Christmas day every year, to talk about
how many feet of snow were on her front yard (in Nebraska), and how
many bikinis I'd seen at the beach.

She won't answer my calls on Christmas day any more.

Obveeus

Apr 25, 2018, 3:49:39 PM4/25/18

On 4/25/2018 1:50 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <pbqcsp$ucd$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/25/2018 11:57 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:

>>> Anim complains that its freezing when the temperature drops below 80,
>>> so....  :D
>>

>> Yep...50s and 60s is way too cold for anyone to be going outside there.
>> Thus higher TV ratings in the cold winter months.
>
> Hey, I'll concede February is cold, but Christmas? ASU students that
> don't go home for the holidays famously sunbathe on Xmas Day.

They don't really do that because it is warm. They do that because they
want to post to Facebook or Instagram or whatnot and let their freezing
friends back home in Michigan know just how good life in Arizona is.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Apr 25, 2018, 5:03:49 PM4/25/18
Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote in
I used to have a roommate who would literally pry for rain (or
worse) on the Rose Parade. His theory was that people elsewhere in
the US would see how nice the weather was in California in January,
and move here. He didn't want more people moving here. (Not that he
was alone. It's been year since I've seen a "Welcome to California.
Now go home." bumper sticker, though.)

Dimensional Traveler

Apr 25, 2018, 6:04:38 PM4/25/18
On 4/25/2018 2:03 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote in
>

>> On 4/25/2018 1:50 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>>> Hey, I'll concede February is cold, but Christmas? ASU
>>> students that don't go home for the holidays famously sunbathe
>>> on Xmas Day.
>>
>> They don't really do that because it is warm. They do that
>> because they want to post to Facebook or Instagram or whatnot
>> and let their freezing friends back home in Michigan know just
>> how good life in Arizona is.
>>
> I used to have a roommate who would literally pry for rain (or
> worse) on the Rose Parade. His theory was that people elsewhere in
> the US would see how nice the weather was in California in January,
> and move here. He didn't want more people moving here. (Not that he
> was alone. It's been year since I've seen a "Welcome to California.
> Now go home." bumper sticker, though.)

They were all stolen by the Oregonians who want the Californians to go home.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Apr 25, 2018, 6:22:59 PM4/25/18
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in
Why would Oregonians[1] want a bumper sticker that says "Welcome to
California"?

[1]Now I'm picturing an entire state populated by people addicted
to Oreo cookies. Or maybe Oreo cookies with faces on them. Neither
would be as weird as Oregon.

Dimensional Traveler

Apr 25, 2018, 8:40:00 PM4/25/18
On 4/25/2018 3:22 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in
>
>> On 4/25/2018 2:03 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
>>> Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote in

>>> I used to have a roommate who would literally pry for rain (or
>>> worse) on the Rose Parade. His theory was that people elsewhere
>>> in the US would see how nice the weather was in California in
>>> January, and move here. He didn't want more people moving here.
>>> (Not that he was alone. It's been year since I've seen a
>>> "Welcome to California. Now go home." bumper sticker, though.)
>>>
>> They were all stolen by the Oregonians who want the Californians
>> to go home.
>>
> Why would Oregonians[1] want a bumper sticker that says "Welcome to
> California"?

They wanted the Californians to stop telling everyone else to go home
while invading Oregon.

> [1]Now I'm picturing an entire state populated by people addicted
> to Oreo cookies. Or maybe Oreo cookies with faces on them. Neither
> would be as weird as Oregon.

My 10' pole is out of arm's reach and that isn't worth getting up to
fetch it.

Obveeus

Apr 25, 2018, 8:42:47 PM4/25/18

On 4/25/2018 5:03 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote in
>

>> On 4/25/2018 1:50 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>>> Hey, I'll concede February is cold, but Christmas? ASU
>>> students that don't go home for the holidays famously sunbathe
>>> on Xmas Day.
>>
>> They don't really do that because it is warm. They do that
>> because they want to post to Facebook or Instagram or whatnot
>> and let their freezing friends back home in Michigan know just
>> how good life in Arizona is.
>>
> I used to have a roommate who would literally pry for rain (or
> worse) on the Rose Parade. His theory was that people elsewhere in
> the US would see how nice the weather was in California in January,
> and move here. He didn't want more people moving here. (Not that he
> was alone. It's been year since I've seen a "Welcome to California.
> Now go home." bumper sticker, though.)

Anyone who tuned in for the Rose Parade would quickly get a visual of
typical LA traffic and decide against moving there.

Ninapenda Jibini

Apr 25, 2018, 9:06:28 PM4/25/18
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in
Oregonians always have been stupid and clueless, sure.

(If all the invaders in California went home, a lot fewer
Californians would feel inclined to move to Oregon. Note: I am not
a native Californicator.)

>> [1]Now I'm picturing an entire state populated by people
>> addicted to Oreo cookies. Or maybe Oreo cookies with faces on
>> them. Neither would be as weird as Oregon.
>>
> My 10' pole is out of arm's reach and that isn't worth getting
> up to fetch it.

Sucks to be you, I guess.

--
Terry Austin

Ninapenda Jibini

Apr 25, 2018, 9:07:45 PM4/25/18
Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote in
I'll grant you, a long line of vehicles moving five miles per hour
is, in fact, typical LA traffic (and Pasadena, for that matter),
but since it's a parade, nobody from elsewhere would realize that.

--
Terry Austin

Dimensional Traveler

Apr 25, 2018, 11:34:41 PM4/25/18
On 4/25/2018 6:06 PM, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in
>
>> On 4/25/2018 3:22 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
>>> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in

I am, so get out of my state.

>>> [1]Now I'm picturing an entire state populated by people
>>> addicted to Oreo cookies. Or maybe Oreo cookies with faces on
>>> them. Neither would be as weird as Oregon.
>>>
>> My 10' pole is out of arm's reach and that isn't worth getting
>> up to fetch it.
>>
> Sucks to be you, I guess.

Nope, see above.

Ninapenda Jibini

Apr 25, 2018, 11:49:29 PM4/25/18
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in
Make me.

>>> My 10' pole is out of arm's reach and that isn't worth getting
>>> up to fetch it.
>>>
>> Sucks to be you, I guess.
>>
> Nope, see above.

I'm not the one whining.

Dimensional Traveler

Apr 26, 2018, 12:58:54 AM4/26/18
On 4/25/2018 8:49 PM, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in
>
>> On 4/25/2018 6:06 PM, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
>>> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in

You need to re-calibrate your sense of humor.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Apr 26, 2018, 11:41:24 AM4/26/18

> On 4/25/2018 8:49 PM, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in

You need to be funnier. In the "ha ha" sense, rather than the "he's
fucking weird" sense.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Dimensional Traveler

Apr 26, 2018, 12:47:10 PM4/26/18
On 4/26/2018 8:41 AM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in
>
>> On 4/25/2018 8:49 PM, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
>>> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in

Being weird is fun. For me.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Apr 26, 2018, 1:04:19 PM4/26/18

> On 4/26/2018 8:41 AM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in

Then stop whining.

Dimensional Traveler

Apr 26, 2018, 2:01:52 PM4/26/18
I wasn't. You're just peeved because I'm not getting peeved.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Apr 26, 2018, 2:27:17 PM4/26/18
> [...]
You were.

> You're just peeved because I'm not getting peeved.

I know you are, but what am I?

(And you *know* better than that.)