Univision vs. Telemundo--what's the difference?

Steven L.

Sep 26, 2006, 5:44:35 PM9/26/06
Can someone explain what the difference is in the types of programming
you see on Univision vs. Telemundo?

Not being sarcastic here; I'm seriously interested in knowing what
distinguishes one network from the other.

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email: sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

alte...@yahoo.com

Sep 26, 2006, 5:49:36 PM9/26/06
I honestly think they both program pretty much the same, only one has
more viewers than the other. Much like the various English-language
broadcast networks.

Ian J. Ball

Sep 26, 2006, 5:52:08 PM9/26/06
In article <7bhSg.6660$UG4....@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Steven L." <sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> wrote:

> Can someone explain what the difference is in the types of programming
> you see on Univision vs. Telemundo?
>
> Not being sarcastic here; I'm seriously interested in knowing what
> distinguishes one network from the other.

Well, quite simply, UNIV is the higher rated one, which makes TELEM kind
of its 'ugly stepsister'.

TELEM has tried several different approaches to narrowing the gap,
including copying UNIV's programmming of telenovelas, and even for a
while remaking American TV shows for a 'bilingual' audience.

As of right now, I think TELEM is primarily back to copying UNIV's
telenovela strategy, but as UNIV apparently has access to the better
Latin American telenovela producers, TELEM is unlikely to narrow the gap
any time soon...

--
"Read less. More TV." - Dr. Greg House, "House"
http://homepage.mac.com/ijball/TV-Blog/

arnold kim

Sep 26, 2006, 11:46:46 PM9/26/06

"Steven L." <sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> wrote in message

> Can someone explain what the difference is in the types of programming you
> see on Univision vs. Telemundo?
>
> Not being sarcastic here; I'm seriously interested in knowing what
> distinguishes one network from the other.

What's the difference between ABC, NBC, and CBS?

Arnold Kim

Taylor

Sep 27, 2006, 12:06:01 AM9/27/06

It's like French language broadcaster TVA, the biggest Francophone
private network broadcaster and TQS, the "black sheep", an image they
actually played up.

Univision is the big boy and Telemundo being NBC Universal's failed
attempt to dethrown Univision by buying the broadcaster. Yeah, it'll
probably NEVER out-do Univision, but there's still some substance to
owning even the distant second network. There's a lot that can be said
by the ever-growing Hispanic market.

Zombie Elvis

Sep 27, 2006, 2:53:40 AM9/27/06
Hello, arnold kim!

You wrote:

> "Steven L." <sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> wrote in message
> > Can someone explain what the difference is in the types of
> > programming you
> > see on Univision vs. Telemundo?

Little to none but as with the English-speaking networks, they
both have a distinct feel. Univision is a larger, richer network.
As a result, it tends to have bigger budget soap operas
(telenovelas) with bigger (Latin American) stars and higher
ratings. Think of Univision as the NBC of Spanish networks and
Telemundo as Fox.

> > Not being sarcastic here; I'm seriously interested in
> > knowing what
> > distinguishes one network from the other.
>
> What's the difference between ABC, NBC, and CBS?

Univision tends to be more celebrity obsessed. So if you want
news about Niurka Marcos and Bobby Larios (the Latino Britney
Spears and Kevin Federline), you watch Univision as they tend to
be everywhere. When Univision shows movies, they tend to have
been made in Spanish in either Mexico or Venezuela. When
Telemundo shows movies, they tend to be American films which have
been dubbed into Spanish.

While both networks tend to copy American game, reality, and
talk shows, Telemundo also copies more successful Univision
shows. If Univision has a platinum blonde Oprah clone, Telemundo
gets a platinum blonde Oprah clone. If Univision has a tabloid
news show, Telemundo gets a tabloid news show. If Univision gets
a network psychic, Telemundo gets a network psychic. A notable
exception is the Telemundo soap "Betty la Fea" ("Ugly Betty"
which was so popular that an American version is being made).
Univision has clearly copied this show with "La Fea Mas Bella"
("The Prettiest Ugly Duckling").
--
<BANG> "Let her go! Damn, did that backwards."
-- Virgil Webster from The Inside

Roberto Castillo
roberto...@ameritech.net

Tony Calguire

Sep 27, 2006, 4:31:38 AM9/27/06
"Steven L." <sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> wrote in

> Can someone explain what the difference is in the types of programming
> you see on Univision vs. Telemundo?
>
> Not being sarcastic here; I'm seriously interested in knowing what
> distinguishes one network from the other.

Univision is the 800 lb. gorilla of spanish-language broadcasting in
America, and they get most of their programming from Televisa, the 800 ton
gorilla of spanish-language broadcasting in the world. Telemundo is an
upstart competitor.

The latin programming strategy is fairly straighforward... telenovelas make
up the bulk of the schedule, along with a variety shows and game
shows. Throw in a little news, a little gossip, some government-mandated
childrens programming, futbol, and movies. They do have sitcoms, but
they're not quite like any of our sitcoms; they play more like an over-the-
top Mad TV sketch.

Telemundo (which I can not receive here) I believe has a more varied
schedule of dubbed American movies, some bilingual shows, and a choice of
telenovelas from a wider swath of Latin America. Univision tends to be
more traditional, strictly spanish, with the bulk of it's programming
coming from Mexico's Televisa and Venezuela's Venevision. Univision also
operates a second network called "Telefutura", which I think does a lot of
the same kind of thing that Telemundo does.

Tony Calguire

Sep 27, 2006, 4:46:05 AM9/27/06
NOSPAMrobe...@ameritech.net (Zombie Elvis) wrote in

> a network psychic, Telemundo gets a network psychic. A notable
> exception is the Telemundo soap "Betty la Fea" ("Ugly Betty"
> which was so popular that an American version is being made).
> Univision has clearly copied this show with "La Fea Mas Bella"
> ("The Prettiest Ugly Duckling").

"Betty La Fea" is the original Columbian telenovela that started all this
off. "La Fea Mas Bella" is Televisa's Mexican version of the story. It is
quite common for one country to remake telenovelas from another country
(and also quite common to remake a particular telenovela two or three times
over the decades).

Ken from Chicago

Sep 27, 2006, 6:14:40 AM9/27/06

"Steven L." <sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> wrote in message

Same that that differs ABC from CBS and NBC.

-- Ken from Chicago

boakyech...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2015, 2:03:26 PM2/18/15
Telemundo is much better that Univision thats the difference and Telemundo is more advanced it terms of the quality of the novelas and that all their novelas are original

17be...@bubblers.us

May 2, 2016, 3:58:22 PM5/2/16
UNI VISION

miss...@gmail.com