What Did You Watch? 2017-10-23 (Monday)

Ubiquitous

Oct 24, 2017, 6:57:54 AM10/24/17
Before gaming night, I watched:

T.J. HOOKER:
"Gang War". When two barrio gangs threaten an all-out war, Hooker
pursues the real cause of unrest---an illegal-arms dealer who would
profit handsomely.

What did you watch?

Obveeus

Oct 24, 2017, 8:58:54 AM10/24/17
I watched:

LUCIFER: I was having trouble following some of the legal plot points
in this episode. At one point, the cops show up at a 'camp for troubled
teens' as LUCIFER is teaching them all how to grow cannabis. The pot
farm was there before LUCIFER arrived, so I have no idea why he thought
he was teaching them a new skill. None of the kids worry about getting
in trouble by the cops. LUCIFER doesn't get in trouble, either. The
cops cannot see one kid's juvenile record because it is sealed...even
though the kid is still at the camp...even though the kid has turned 18.
During the episode LUCIFER steals a car and he makes several citizens
arrests, one while beating the suspect severely. Meanwhile, Chloe spent
most of her time with the boss. Ella tells her that the boss has a
crush on her. At a crime scene, the boss jumps in front of a bullet to
save Chloe...and I'm thinking that he, like LUCIFER, didn't expect to be
harmed by the bullet. Since Chloe got saved, she now has a crush on the
boss (just as she did with LUCIFER). Meanwhile, Amenadiel tries to act
like LUCIFER, but apparently women don't find him irresistible...maybe
because he is now acting like he's never worn a suit before?

THE GOOD DOCTOR: The autistic doctor's (Shaun's) latest case involves a
kid with a broken arm who looks exactly like his dead brother...a
convenient way to not have to hire an additional actor for a new role.
Shaun is convinced that the kid with the broken arm has a problem so he
orders an MRI (without the kids medical records and without the parents
permission and without an actual emergency situation). The MRI reveals
what the parents already knew...cancer...but Shaun doesn't want to see
his brother's doppelganger die so he works to find an alternative
theory. Eventually, he settles on Epstein Barr, but before he can test
his theory the kid starts puking blood and throws an embolism and needs
emergency open heart surgery...because that is the best way to extend
his life a few months before he dies painfully from the cancer. This is
why medical costs in America are so high. Ah well, the closest Shaun
got to doing medical stuff this episode was that he diagnosed a broken
arm. Meanwhile, in the big case of the week, a guy has tape
worms...which he is allergic to...so he keeps almost dying...until the
doctor's perform brain surgery (and a bunch of lesser surgeries off
camera) to rid the patient of the cysts encasing the tape worms.

ONE MISSISSIPPI: Season #1 of this Tig Notaro series. Tig is trying to
clean up her mom's life while discovering all kinds of stuff about her
mom that she never knew. Meanwhile, she is trying to get healthy after
the double mastectomy and part of the process involves an FMT. I had no
idea that FMT was a real thing...Fecal Matter Transfer. Basically, the
doctors take poop from someone else and shove it up inside you so that
you get a good bacteria transplant. Tig's real life wife shows up as a
co-worker at the radio station and the chemistry is subtle, but clear.

SMILF: The pilot episode for this new Showtime series, albeit the
blurred youtube version. The lead does a good job portraying a mom
living in poverty and trying to raise a kid (almost) on her own. She
also has a crazy mom played by Rosie O'Donnell, an ex who still stops by
to tuck the kid in for bed, and an almost dead acting career. If I had
Showtime, I'd watch more.

What did you watch?

Ian J. Ball

Oct 24, 2017, 9:43:20 AM10/24/17
On 2017-10-24 12:58:49 +0000, Obveeus said:

> I watched:
>
> LUCIFER: I was having trouble following some of the legal plot points
> in this episode. At one point, the cops show up at a 'camp for
> troubled teens' as LUCIFER is teaching them all how to grow cannabis.
> The pot farm was there before LUCIFER arrived, so I have no idea why he
> thought he was teaching them a new skill. None of the kids worry about
> getting in trouble by the cops. LUCIFER doesn't get in trouble,
> either. The cops cannot see one kid's juvenile record because it is
> sealed...even though the kid is still at the camp...even though the kid
> has turned 18. During the episode LUCIFER steals a car and he makes
> several citizens arrests, one while beating the suspect severely.
> Meanwhile, Chloe spent most of her time with the boss. Ella tells her
> that the boss has a crush on her. At a crime scene, the boss jumps in
> front of a bullet to save Chloe...and I'm thinking that he, like
> LUCIFER, didn't expect to be harmed by the bullet. Since Chloe got
> saved, she now has a crush on the boss (just as she did with LUCIFER).
> Meanwhile, Amenadiel tries to act like LUCIFER, but apparently women
> don't find him irresistible...maybe because he is now acting like he's
> never worn a suit before?
>
> What did you watch?

Not too much:

Violetta (The Netflix) - Ep. #1.66 (I think). Wow, we're actually
starting to get *real* plot developments, every episode! after only 60+
episodes to get here!!
In this one, the P.I. finally clues Ramallo (pronounced:
Ram-a-show!!) in that Angie is secretly Violetta's aunt! (Loved his
reaction to that revelation!)
Meanwhile, this show is starting to be a lot of fun, as Ludmilla is
finally getting hers! In the previous episode, Cami rigged Ludmi's
locker to dump a bunch of water on her. In this episode, the irate and
vengeful reality show fans keep dumping suds/soap on her! (To "finish"
her "shower", I guess!!)
And Violetta does agree to return to the reality show, where the two
finalists will be chosen from the 4 semi-finalists by the 8 original
contestants. This surely means that the final 2 will be Tomas and
Violetta.
Oh, and Violetta continues to be a tease with both Tomas and Leon,
but I think Tomas is finally into Francesca.
Finally, Jade's father finalizes his plans to steal from German.

Poldark (recorded) - Ep. #3.5. A pretty good episode in which Poldark
and his mates stage a daring rescue/jailbreak in order to get Dr. Enys
out of the French prison and back home. This ended up being enjoyable
on several levels as Ross' antics ultimately get the better of George
Warleggen. Meanwhile, the governess *tries* to break things off with
Demelza's brother, but I think that's not going to "stick" when the
brother goes on Ross' prison break "mission", and gets wounded in
action...

Lucifer - Covered by Obv. A fanciful, but mostly fun episode. Again, no
Maze. I'm also starting to wonder if Tom Welling's character has an odd
secret, like he's immortal or something - this episode seemed to me
making weird hints to that effect.
Next episode: Tricia Helfer is back. :/

The Gifted - "eXit strategy". An episode that was slow starting, but
finally got good at the end when the gang's grand plan to bust Polaris
and Reed out of Sentinel Services captivity goes sideways fast, and the
gang has to scramble to save the plan... It'll be interesting to see
where this goes now with all the "mutant team" reunited. Meanwhile, we
meet a very unpleasant ex of Eclipse's that I hope we never see
again... :/

Arthur Lipscomb

Oct 24, 2017, 9:49:40 AM10/24/17
On 10/24/2017 5:58 AM, Obveeus wrote:

> What did you watch?

Supergirl - "Far From the Tree" - Carl Lumbly (The *original* Martian
Manhunter!) guest stars as the Martian Manhunter's dad! I was too busy
geeking out to care what else happened in the episode. It was OK I
guess. :-) I also saw Helen Slater's name in the credits but I didn't
notice her in the episode itself.

The Gifted - "eXit strategy" - The X-Kids help rescue their dad.
Slightly above background noise.

White Famous - "Woo" Floud learns his "agent" only just became an actual
agent and is representing the man who is ex is currently dating. OK
episode.

Madam Secretary - "The Essentials" - Team Secretary of State get their
affairs in order as a government shutdown looms. Mostly background noise.

The Comedian (Netflix rental) Robert De Niro stars as a washed up sitcom
star who gets sentenced to community service after getting into a fight
with an audience member during a comedy routine. I only suffered
through about 45 minutes of this before turning it off. I *wish* I knew
it was this bad before I let the disc sit on my shelf for over a week. :-/

BTR1701

Oct 24, 2017, 10:50:17 AM10/24/17
In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
wrote:

> Before gaming night, I watched:
>
> T.J. HOOKER:
> "Gang War". When two barrio gangs threaten an all-out war, Hooker
> pursues the real cause of unrest---an illegal-arms dealer who would
> profit handsomely.

So if they're working out of the "Academy Precinct", what the hell do
they have to do with barrio gangs? The cops in the 77th Street Division
would deal with gangs.

anim8rfsk

Oct 24, 2017, 10:57:55 AM10/24/17
Last week's MURDOCH MYSTERIES which was the second lousy one in a row.

Two weeks ago, FOOTSTEPS featured Helen Keller, functioning way way way
way WAY higher than there's a chance in Hell she did in real life, and
one of those stupid blackout dinner parties and clews based on the
number of footsteps that they apparently lost track of halfway through
so the whole thing made no sense.

Last week's THE CANADIAN PATIENT featured Mary Baker Eddy, creator of
Christian Science (why do people that aren't Christian Scientists think
that this sick, evil woman did good works?). They did an excellent
casting job on her, and made her appropriately obnoxious and unlikable.
The plot involved very very very early attempts at organ transplants.
Where this one when totally off the rails was with the Julia (who now
has unlimited funds) involved subplots. First, they got rid of her
assistant Rebecca James, who I really liked, and this week just brought
in a replacement clone, who even *looks* just like the original, as if
there are all these attractive black women doctors and doctor wanna bes
just wandering around 1905 Toronto; it was frankly insulting to the
original character. And Julia just says "oh, I'll pay for college and
medical school and living expenses" without even checking this woman out
beyond noting that she knows her prepared VegaVitamin sales pitch. Then
Julia wanders over to another booth and offers to fund a nasty woman
(who hates Murdoch)'s experimental fertility drugs, because Julia has
secretly been checked out and deemed fertile (what?) and they can find
NO reason why she's not getting pregnant so since nothing's wrong with
her she's going to fund experimental hormone replacement by a bitter
woman who's goal is to eradicate men from the face of the planet, and be
the Guinea pig herself. It never even occurred to anybody to check and
see if maybe Murdoch is shooting blanks!

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

A Friend

Oct 24, 2017, 10:58:08 AM10/24/17
In article <osndeb$cuf$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> At a crime scene, the boss jumps in front of a bullet to save
> Chloe...and I'm thinking that he, like LUCIFER, didn't expect to be
> harmed by the bullet.

When that happened, I looked at my wife and said, "You know, that kind
of thing didn't used to bother him."

anim8rfsk

Oct 24, 2017, 11:07:27 AM10/24/17
In article <atropos-33FD50...@news.giganews.com>,
They do every job in the city, everywhere in the city. One week Heather
is undercover at a strip bar, even though she's in real life the
Captain's daugher/academy receptionist, but they don't have any other
undercover babes, working narcotics; the next they're driving down that
L.A. canal hoping to catch The Terminator drag racing.

BTR1701

Oct 24, 2017, 11:07:45 AM10/24/17
wrote:

> I watched:
>
> LUCIFER: I was having trouble following some of the legal plot points
> in this episode. At one point, the cops show up at a 'camp for troubled
> teens' as LUCIFER is teaching them all how to grow cannabis. The pot
> farm was there before LUCIFER arrived, so I have no idea why he thought
> he was teaching them a new skill. None of the kids worry about getting
> in trouble by the cops.

Pot is legal in California.

shawn

Oct 24, 2017, 11:09:49 AM10/24/17
On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 08:58:49 -0400, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

>I watched:
>
>LUCIFER: I was having trouble following some of the legal plot points
>in this episode. At one point, the cops show up at a 'camp for troubled
>teens' as LUCIFER is teaching them all how to grow cannabis. The pot
>farm was there before LUCIFER arrived, so I have no idea why he thought
>he was teaching them a new skill.

Wasn't he teaching them about how to get pot into the country and
where it should come from. Also it's not clear if everyone knew about
the pot farm or just the guy running the place and the blonde girl.

>None of the kids worry about getting
>in trouble by the cops. LUCIFER doesn't get in trouble, either.

That was definitely the sort of thing one would only see on TV.

>The
>cops cannot see one kid's juvenile record because it is sealed...even
>though the kid is still at the camp...even though the kid has turned 18.
> During the episode LUCIFER steals a car and he makes several citizens
>arrests, one while beating the suspect severely. Meanwhile, Chloe spent
>most of her time with the boss. Ella tells her that the boss has a
>crush on her. At a crime scene, the boss jumps in front of a bullet to
>save Chloe...and I'm thinking that he, like LUCIFER, didn't expect to be
>harmed by the bullet.

He had a momentary flash back to when he was a super sort of guy.

> Since Chloe got saved, she now has a crush on the
>boss (just as she did with LUCIFER). Meanwhile, Amenadiel tries to act
>like LUCIFER, but apparently women don't find him irresistible...maybe
>because he is now acting like he's never worn a suit before?

He's also acting like he's never talked to anyone else in his life.
Which we know isn't the case so chalk it up to the writers striking
again. Though it was a nice set piece with the suit, his looks, the
song and then him totally screwing things up with his blunt approach
(trying to emulate Lucifer?)

>THE GOOD DOCTOR: The autistic doctor's (Shaun's) latest case involves a
>kid with a broken arm who looks exactly like his dead brother...a
>convenient way to not have to hire an additional actor for a new role.
>Shaun is convinced that the kid with the broken arm has a problem so he
>orders an MRI (without the kids medical records and without the parents
>permission and without an actual emergency situation). The MRI reveals
>what the parents already knew...cancer...but Shaun doesn't want to see
>his brother's doppelganger die so he works to find an alternative
>theory. Eventually, he settles on Epstein Barr, but before he can test
>his theory the kid starts puking blood and throws an embolism and needs
>emergency open heart surgery...because that is the best way to extend
>his life a few months before he dies painfully from the cancer. This is
>why medical costs in America are so high. Ah well, the closest Shaun
>got to doing medical stuff this episode was that he diagnosed a broken
>arm. Meanwhile, in the big case of the week, a guy has tape
>worms...which he is allergic to...so he keeps almost dying...until the
>doctor's perform brain surgery (and a bunch of lesser surgeries off
>camera) to rid the patient of the cysts encasing the tape worms.

Don't forget that they only find out about the tape worms due to a hug
from a long missing son and the allergic reaction that almost
immediately followed.

>What did you watch?

Some 1950s TV with THE QUATERMASS EXPERIMENT where the world has truly
gone to shit and now someone/thing is killing off/taking the kids
around the world with some sort of mind control. Typical of UK
television (especially of that age) there's lots of filler in each
episode of this serial. One day I may get around to watching the 2005
recreation of it over on the Dailymotion.

BTR1701

Oct 24, 2017, 11:10:05 AM10/24/17
In article <osng1j$12j$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> The Gifted - "eXit strategy". An episode that was slow starting, but
> finally got good at the end when the gang's grand plan to bust Polaris
> and Reed out of Sentinel Services captivity goes sideways fast, and the
> gang has to scramble to save the plan... It'll be interesting to see
> where this goes now with all the "mutant team" reunited. Meanwhile, we
> meet a very unpleasant ex of Eclipse's that I hope we never see
> again... :/

Or if we do see her, we get to see more of her. Like in a bikini or
something.

Obveeus

Oct 24, 2017, 11:20:29 AM10/24/17
The question is: which relative of LUCIFER's is he...and why doesn't
LUCIFER recognize him?

Obveeus

Oct 24, 2017, 11:29:15 AM10/24/17

On 10/24/2017 11:09 AM, shawn wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 08:58:49 -0400, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> I watched:
>>
>> LUCIFER: I was having trouble following some of the legal plot points
>> in this episode. At one point, the cops show up at a 'camp for troubled
>> teens' as LUCIFER is teaching them all how to grow cannabis. The pot
>> farm was there before LUCIFER arrived, so I have no idea why he thought
>> he was teaching them a new skill.
>
> Wasn't he teaching them about how to get pot into the country and
> where it should come from.

Yes...right up until the girl pointed out that all you needed was a
south facing slope and showed LUCIFER the local farm.

> Also it's not clear if everyone knew about
> the pot farm or just the guy running the place and the blonde girl.

After she showed LUCIFER the farm, everyone appeared to quickly get on
the bandwagon for the processing//bagging operation...as if this was
what they regularly did when people like LUCIFER weren't around to
interrupt the operation. Not one kid ran away to tell the boss or
anything, so they must have already all been in on it...or maybe LUCIFER
was correct in thinking that people never change and apparently that all
criminal activity is interchangeable to those with criminal minds.

>> The
>> cops cannot see one kid's juvenile record because it is sealed...even
>> though the kid is still at the camp...even though the kid has turned 18.
>> During the episode LUCIFER steals a car and he makes several citizens
>> arrests, one while beating the suspect severely. Meanwhile, Chloe spent
>> most of her time with the boss. Ella tells her that the boss has a
>> crush on her. At a crime scene, the boss jumps in front of a bullet to
>> save Chloe...and I'm thinking that he, like LUCIFER, didn't expect to be
>> harmed by the bullet.
>
> He had a momentary flash back to when he was a super sort of guy.

Really? He never dressed the part.

>> Since Chloe got saved, she now has a crush on the
>> boss (just as she did with LUCIFER). Meanwhile, Amenadiel tries to act
>> like LUCIFER, but apparently women don't find him irresistible...maybe
>> because he is now acting like he's never worn a suit before?
>
> He's also acting like he's never talked to anyone else in his life.
> Which we know isn't the case so chalk it up to the writers striking
> again.

Agreed. I think we've seen Amenadiel act much more normal in the past
and it was hard to take the idea that he would have no common sense at
all when it came to interacting with others.

> Though it was a nice set piece with the suit, his looks, the
> song and then him totally screwing things up with his blunt approach
> (trying to emulate Lucifer?)

Has LUCIFER ever worn a blue suit like that? It didn't look very
fashionable compared with LUCIFER's normal wardrobe.

>> THE GOOD DOCTOR: The autistic doctor's (Shaun's) latest case involves a
>> kid with a broken arm who looks exactly like his dead brother...a
>> convenient way to not have to hire an additional actor for a new role.
>> Shaun is convinced that the kid with the broken arm has a problem so he
>> orders an MRI (without the kids medical records and without the parents
>> permission and without an actual emergency situation). The MRI reveals
>> what the parents already knew...cancer...but Shaun doesn't want to see
>> his brother's doppelganger die so he works to find an alternative
>> theory. Eventually, he settles on Epstein Barr, but before he can test
>> his theory the kid starts puking blood and throws an embolism and needs
>> emergency open heart surgery...because that is the best way to extend
>> his life a few months before he dies painfully from the cancer. This is
>> why medical costs in America are so high. Ah well, the closest Shaun
>> got to doing medical stuff this episode was that he diagnosed a broken
>> arm. Meanwhile, in the big case of the week, a guy has tape
>> worms...which he is allergic to...so he keeps almost dying...until the
>> doctor's perform brain surgery (and a bunch of lesser surgeries off
>> camera) to rid the patient of the cysts encasing the tape worms.
>
> Don't forget that they only find out about the tape worms due to a hug
> from a long missing son and the allergic reaction that almost
> immediately followed.

I don't think it was actually the hug that did it (though the dad tried
to blame the hug as a way of assigning fault to the son). It was more
likely just due to the stress of the situation combined with him
reaching down for the dog food bowl or whatever in the kitchen.

BTR1701

Oct 24, 2017, 11:30:50 AM10/24/17
In article <anim8rfsk-0186F...@news.easynews.com>,
Bah! Other than petty crime in the parking lot at Dodger games, I'm
trying to think of what would occupy the time of the cops at "Academy
Precinct".

I know they have no jurisdiction at the beach. That's solely Baywatch
jurisdiction.

anim8rfsk

Oct 24, 2017, 11:33:57 AM10/24/17
In article <atropos-3239C4...@news.giganews.com>,
Haven't you heard? Baywatch moved to Florida.

suzeeq

Oct 24, 2017, 12:06:59 PM10/24/17
Obveeus wrote:
> I watched:
>
> LUCIFER: I was having trouble following some of the legal plot points
> in this episode. At one point, the cops show up at a 'camp for troubled
> teens' as LUCIFER is teaching them all how to grow cannabis. The pot
> farm was there before LUCIFER arrived, so I have no idea why he thought
> he was teaching them a new skill. None of the kids worry about getting
> in trouble by the cops. LUCIFER doesn't get in trouble, either. The

He wasn't teaching them to grow it, though he gave some tips for being
more productive. He was teaching them how to distribute it.

suzeeq

Oct 24, 2017, 12:09:33 PM10/24/17
It couldn't possibly be the man's fault. Even for englightened people
for the times.

anim8rfsk

Oct 24, 2017, 12:22:58 PM10/24/17
In article <osnojp$dv7$2...@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com>
wrote:
heehee

But, seriously, the doctor tells you that everything is fine, so you
finance experimental hormone replacement therapy on yourself!?!?

suzeeq

Oct 24, 2017, 12:43:01 PM10/24/17
I wasn't following that part too well, I think I missed that Julia was okay.

A Friend

Oct 24, 2017, 12:52:33 PM10/24/17
In article <osnlnd$a8o$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
Lucifer doesn't recognize him because he was sent by Rao, another god
entirely.

Ubiquitous

Oct 24, 2017, 12:53:51 PM10/24/17
Hooker is so good at his job that he's expanding to other precincts.

anim8rfsk

Oct 24, 2017, 12:55:38 PM10/24/17
In article <osnqii$8b9$1...@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com>
Ah. She told the angry woman that she'd seen a doctor (I think in
another town) and he couldn't find any reason she couldn't get pregnant.
Nobody's mentioning that the reason she couldn't get pregnant before was
that she was messed up from the abortion.

anim8rfsk

Oct 24, 2017, 12:56:48 PM10/24/17
In article <osnqii$8b9$1...@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com>
Oh, yeah, The Peach likes bad disaster movies, and we watched one of the
worst, a THE THING rip off called BLOOD GLACIER. Just dreadful.

suzeeq

Oct 24, 2017, 1:00:10 PM10/24/17
Oh, that could do it.

Obveeus

Oct 24, 2017, 1:05:43 PM10/24/17

On 10/24/2017 12:56 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> Oh, yeah, The Peach likes bad disaster movies, and we watched one of the
> worst, a THE THING rip off called BLOOD GLACIER. Just dreadful.

BLOOD GLACIER...sometimes you can tell just from the title that a film
will be bad.

A Friend

Oct 24, 2017, 1:23:57 PM10/24/17
In article <Z9mdnSevzuKF7XLE...@giganews.com>, Ubiquitous
<web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> atr...@mac.com wrote:
> > Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
> >> Before gaming night, I watched:
> >>
> >> T.J. HOOKER:
> >> "Gang War". When two barrio gangs threaten an all-out war, Hooker
> >> pursues the real cause of unrest---an illegal-arms dealer who would
> >> profit handsomely.
> >
> >So if they're working out of the "Academy Precinct", what the hell do
> >they have to do with barrio gangs? The cops in the 77th Street Division
> >would deal with gangs.
>
> Hooker is so good at his job that he's expanding to other precincts.

I really liked the episode where Hooker had to battle the Mirror
Universe Hooker. Some people said it was derivative, but I disagree.

David Barnett

Oct 24, 2017, 5:21:12 PM10/24/17
In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, web...@polaris.net says...

> Before gaming night, I watched:
>
> T.J. HOOKER:
> "Gang War". When two barrio gangs threaten an all-out war, Hooker
> pursues the real cause of unrest---an illegal-arms dealer who would
> profit handsomely.

That's a fairly old show

> What did you watch?

On Mon Oct 23 I watched:

THE DOCTOR BLAKE MYSTERIES: First Dance
I never guess the killer, as it is usually someone with minimal air time.

NCIS:NO: Rogue Nation; #1 Fan
Average

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY: 1x6 Lethe
I like the show as much as I liked previous STAR TREK shows.

I don't think Lorca is more predominant than Michael.
This episode seemed to me to be mainly about Michael's mind meld with
Sarek.

THE DEUCE: Au Reservoir
Had to watch this without CC & encore screenings were listed as having no
CC. Consequently I found parts of this boring & unintelligible.
Season final next week.

--
David Barnett

David Barnett

Oct 24, 2017, 5:29:01 PM10/24/17
In article <osndeb$cuf$1...@dont-email.me>, Obv...@aol.com says...

> I watched:
>
> LUCIFER: I was having trouble following some of the legal plot points
> in this episode. At one point, the cops show up at a 'camp for troubled
> teens' as LUCIFER is teaching them all how to grow cannabis. The pot
> farm was there before LUCIFER arrived, so I have no idea why he thought
> he was teaching them a new skill. None of the kids worry about getting
> in trouble by the cops. LUCIFER doesn't get in trouble, either. The
> cops cannot see one kid's juvenile record because it is sealed...even
> though the kid is still at the camp...even though the kid has turned 18.
> During the episode LUCIFER steals a car and he makes several citizens
> arrests, one while beating the suspect severely. Meanwhile, Chloe spent
> most of her time with the boss. Ella tells her that the boss has a
> crush on her. At a crime scene, the boss jumps in front of a bullet to
> save Chloe...and I'm thinking that he, like LUCIFER, didn't expect to be
> harmed by the bullet. Since Chloe got saved, she now has a crush on the
> boss (just as she did with LUCIFER). Meanwhile, Amenadiel tries to act
> like LUCIFER, but apparently women don't find him irresistible...maybe
> because he is now acting like he's never worn a suit before?

I really like this show.

> THE GOOD DOCTOR:
This show is to be aired soon here.
I was thinking of giving it a miss, but I will give it a try.

--
David Barnett

Connor

Oct 24, 2017, 7:20:37 PM10/24/17
On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 5:58:54 AM UTC-7, Obveeus wrote:
> I watched:
>
> LUCIFER: I was having trouble following some of the legal plot points
> in this episode. At one point, the cops show up at a 'camp for troubled
> teens' as LUCIFER is teaching them all how to grow cannabis. The pot
> farm was there before LUCIFER arrived, so I have no idea why he thought
> he was teaching them a new skill. None of the kids worry about getting
> in trouble by the cops. LUCIFER doesn't get in trouble, either. The
> cops cannot see one kid's juvenile record because it is sealed...even
> though the kid is still at the camp...even though the kid has turned 18.
> During the episode LUCIFER steals a car and he makes several citizens
> arrests, one while beating the suspect severely. Meanwhile, Chloe spent
> most of her time with the boss. Ella tells her that the boss has a
> crush on her. At a crime scene, the boss jumps in front of a bullet to
> save Chloe...and I'm thinking that he, like LUCIFER, didn't expect to be
> harmed by the bullet. Since Chloe got saved, she now has a crush on the
> boss (just as she did with LUCIFER). Meanwhile, Amenadiel tries to act
> like LUCIFER, but apparently women don't find him irresistible...maybe
> because he is now acting like he's never worn a suit before?

The kids knew how to grow pot but Lucifer was teaching them how to sell it best.

Amenediel has probably wore a suit but this time he was trying to be cocky like Luci. But that isn't him so it didnt work.

Connor

Oct 24, 2017, 7:25:29 PM10/24/17
Not yet except for medicine and you need permission. Also you'll need permission next year too. It didn't make sense that the cops walked in and nothing happened to the kids.

Connor

Oct 24, 2017, 7:27:14 PM10/24/17
Is that true or did you make that up???

Dimensional Traveler

Oct 24, 2017, 8:55:17 PM10/24/17
He made it up.

instinct are running screaming.

A Friend

Oct 24, 2017, 10:50:37 PM10/24/17
In article <osondj$e9f$2...@dont-email.me>, Dimensional Traveler
<dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> On 10/24/2017 4:27 PM, Connor wrote:
> > On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 9:52:33 AM UTC-7, A Friend wrote:

> >> Lucifer doesn't recognize him because he was sent by Rao, another god
> >> entirely.
> >
> > Is that true or did you make that up???
> >
> He made it up.

Yes, I did. They should hire me.

Connor

Oct 24, 2017, 11:27:24 PM10/24/17
On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 5:55:17 PM UTC-7, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 10/24/2017 4:27 PM, Connor wrote:
> > On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 9:52:33 AM UTC-7, A Friend wrote:

> >> Lucifer doesn't recognize him because he was sent by Rao, another god
> >> entirely.
> >
> > Is that true or did you make that up???
> >
> He made it up.

ok thanks. Probably some alien TV show joke I didn't get. :)

A Friend

Oct 25, 2017, 1:12:30 AM10/25/17
In article <ce8b7353-36ba-4e50...@googlegroups.com>,
Rao was the sun god of (ancient) Krypton.

BTR1701

Oct 25, 2017, 11:21:52 AM10/25/17
In article <anim8rfsk-9E19F...@news.easynews.com>,
No, that's just a franchise. Baywatch is still going strong here in the
mothership. They even have a brand new fleet of trucks to patrol their
turf:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6l3gyvw1voxb83/Baywatch.jpg?dl=0

anim8rfsk

Oct 25, 2017, 11:35:55 AM10/25/17
In article <atropos-CBA12B...@news.giganews.com>,
Alexandrea Daddario is in Florida. Your puny Baywatch West is
meaningless.

Read her tweets today? She's angry.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 25, 2017, 1:38:44 PM10/25/17
Sigh. Why didn't you warn me that was safe for Ian?

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 25, 2017, 1:42:55 PM10/25/17
A few tweets back, she's suffering from a serious condition and
calling upon Our Lord!

Ah! She gives health advice too! A woman asks how she can get a
Baywatch body without all that exercise crap. She says if you eat
off someone else's plate, calories don't count!

suzeeq

Oct 25, 2017, 3:10:03 PM10/25/17
Depends on if you only nibble, or take over the whole plate.

anim8rfsk

Oct 25, 2017, 5:02:47 PM10/25/17
In article <osqies$8bi$5...@news.albasani.net>,
I'd missed that one!!! 8O

> Ah! She gives health advice too! A woman asks how she can get a
> Baywatch body without all that exercise crap. She says if you eat
> off someone else's plate, calories don't count!

Sound advice. Good tips on child rearing too.

BTR1701

Oct 25, 2017, 7:45:25 PM10/25/17
In article <anim8rfsk-002FF...@news.easynews.com>,
And she has camel toe!

anim8rfsk

Oct 25, 2017, 9:08:05 PM10/25/17
In article <atropos-8F1598...@news.giganews.com>,
What I wouldn't give to be that camel's shoe ...

Ubiquitous

Oct 26, 2017, 11:33:02 AM10/26/17
So, they're preparing for a Superman cross-over?

Ubiquitous

Oct 26, 2017, 11:33:02 AM10/26/17
I'd call it a "homage", but every show eventually has an "evil twin" ep.

Ubiquitous

Oct 26, 2017, 11:33:02 AM10/26/17
dbar...@bigpond.net.au wrote:
>In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, web...@polaris.net says...

>> Before gaming night, I watched:
>>
>> T.J. HOOKER:
>> "Gang War". When two barrio gangs threaten an all-out war, Hooker
>> pursues the real cause of unrest---an illegal-arms dealer who would
>> profit handsomely.
>
>That's a fairly old show

Yes, yes it is!

Jim G.

Oct 27, 2017, 12:02:54 AM10/27/17
Obveeus sent the following on 10/24/2017 at 07:58 AM:
> What did you watch?

SUPERGIRL / 3x03 / Far from the Tree

[Eliza throws Alex and Maggie a wedding shower, which causes Maggie to
reach out to her estranged father. Supergirl joins J’onn on a personal
mission.]

It's a tale of two dads. One story is lame and involves dad issues and a
lesbian wedding shower (their words) and every stereotype and cliché in
the book. Its only redeeming feature is that it didn't have the generic
happy ending. Beyond that, though, I'm sure that the writers thought
that they were providing new and profound concepts and bits of social
relevance, but they weren't. Not in the least. It was all 50-year-old
soap opera dialogue with a gay theme. In short, a complete waste of Tony
from 24, who probably ended up wishing that he hadn't agreed to play
Maggie's dad. In the end, Maggie realizes that she doesn't need her
dad's approval because she has the support of her friends and new
family. Blah, blah, blah. Again, absolutely nothing new here.

The other dad story involves J'onn. After getting the SOS last week,
he's off to Mars to help his White Martian gal pal and her resistance
group, but first he has to put Kara and Alex in charge of the DEO while
he's gone because the DEO doesn't have a deep bench whatsoever,
apparently. And of course Kara insists on going with him, so off they go
to the red planet. They learn that J'onn's dad is still alive, freed
from an Evil White Martian prison. So when J'onn first said that he was
the last Martian, he was wrong because there were White Martians. And
when he said that he was the last Green Martian, he was wrong because
there was his father. But other than that, he nailed it. In any case,
Dad doesn't believe that J'onn is actually his son and J'onn and Kara
waste half the episode trying to convince him otherwise before J'onn
shares a memory via a mind meld that instantly convinces Dad that J'onn
is who he says that he is. Which kinda makes you wonder why he didn't
just do that right away. Oh, well.

So chalk everything in-between up to bad and unnecessary drama. And now
it's a question of securing a magical staff and keeping it from the Evil
White Martians. A battle ensues and the Good and Kind White Martians
defeat the Evil White Martians with the help of J'onn and Dad and Kara.
And this is a seriously powerful staff that could make quick work of
removing the Evil White Martians from the equation, so of course the
Good and Kind White Martians insist on not using it because that would
be bad. Because, you know, beating evil slowly and with lots of deaths
on your own side is better than beating it quickly and with no deaths on
your side. Or something. And on that note, J'onn and Dad and Kara return
to Earth, where Dad will presumably start hanging out at the bar with
the rest of the gang. And the cool '50s car that doubles as a spaceship
is put back in storage.

* We get a gratuitous Wall comment and learn that only haters could
possibly want to stem illegal immigration.
* We get another of those "Hey, I think I'll open the door and assume
that I know who's gonna be there and greet that person before I realize
that it's someone else" moments. Someone please make it stop.

Grade: D+

"Captain, respectfully submit that the attractiveness of the ship's
occupant makes the rescue imperative." -- Lt. Gordon Malloy, THE ORVILLE

Jim G.

Oct 27, 2017, 12:15:24 AM10/27/17
Obveeus sent the following on 10/24/2017 at 07:58 AM:
> What did you watch?

THE GIFTED / 1x04 / eXit strategy

[When the mutants devise a plan to take down Sentinel Services, Eclipse
seeks out an old friend from his dark past in order to obtain some
useful information. Meanwhile, Lauren and Andy attempt to combine their
powers in order to help the group.]

In a flashback, we see Pulse seemingly die as he and others are trying
to free some fellow mutants.

In the present, it's time to stop a prison transfer and rescue Polaris
and Papa Strucker because Caitlin and only Caitlin has ever seen a
police procedural on television, apparently. Lauren and Andy learn to
combine their talents in order to focus the effect of Andy's power
while, at the same time, allowing Lauren's power-assist motion to remind
us all that yes, she is definitely a girl. Those complementary powers
will be put to use during the rescue, at which time we will once again
be reminded that Lauren is a girl.

Marcos's ex, who is not as pretty as Marcos, is now running her father's
illegal activities, and she sinks her hooks into Marcos in exchange for
info that our group needs regarding the prisoner transfer. But the final
plan goes belly-up when our heroes all lose their powers during the
rescue, and it's all because Pulse didn't die in that flashback after
all. And now he and his power-dampening abilities are working with the
bad guys.

In the end, though, T-bird is able to take out Pulse and everyone gets
away, although one guy takes a bullet during the whole thing. But his
invisibility skill was pretty iffy even before they all lost their
powers so he might have ended up shot anyway. I'd say 70-30 he'd have
been shot anyway, given how "invisible" he wasn't.

Random thoughts:

* Blink is fighting the false memory and T-bird is keeping quiet about
it all and leaving it up to the other gal to 'fess up to what she did
because drama.
* Despite still being in prison for much of this outing, Polaris
apparently still has unlimited access to makeup and hair care products.

Grade: B-

Jim G.

Oct 27, 2017, 12:27:01 AM10/27/17
Arthur Lipscomb sent the following on 10/24/2017 at 08:49 AM:
> Supergirl - "Far From the Tree" - Carl Lumbly (The*original* Martian
> Manhunter!) guest stars as the Martian Manhunter's dad! I was too busy
> geeking out to care what else happened in the episode. It was OK I
> guess.:-) I also saw Helen Slater's name in the credits but I didn't
> notice her in the episode itself.

Slater plays the mother of Alex and Kara.

BTR1701

Oct 27, 2017, 1:56:47 AM10/27/17
In article <osubsq$aet$1...@dont-email.me>,
Was he really not invisible or was he just slightly visible to us the
audience, so we'd know what was going on?

> Random thoughts:
>
> * Blink is fighting the false memory and T-bird is keeping quiet about
> it all and leaving it up to the other gal to 'fess up to what she did
> because drama.
> * Despite still being in prison for much of this outing, Polaris
> apparently still has unlimited access to makeup and hair care products.

And why was her ability to control metal somehow blocked by the
plexiglas enclosure, such that her only option was to rip a pin out of
Strucker's knee?

anim8rfsk

Oct 27, 2017, 2:54:45 AM10/27/17
In article <osub5b$6q1$1...@dont-email.me>,
Originally White Martians weren't the same species as Green Martians, so
John would have been right. But there's been some retconning and IIRC
they're separate races that diverged from a common ancestor, and John
would still be pretty much right, but on STUPIDGIRL they did that blood
transfusion and one kind of Martian can change into another, so who the
Hell knows. Nice that the only other Green Martian left was not only
somebody John knew, but his damn father no less.
So it's improving then.

A Friend

Oct 27, 2017, 5:36:31 AM10/27/17
In article <osub5b$6q1$1...@dont-email.me>, Jim G.
<jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> Obveeus sent the following on 10/24/2017 at 07:58 AM:
> > What did you watch?
>
> SUPERGIRL / 3x03 / Far from the Tree
>
> [Eliza throws Alex and Maggie a wedding shower, which causes Maggie to
> reach out to her estranged father. Supergirl joins J’onn on a personal
> mission.]
>
> It's a tale of two dads. One story is lame and involves dad issues and a
> lesbian wedding shower (their words) and every stereotype and cliché in
> the book. Its only redeeming feature is that it didn't have the generic
> happy ending. Beyond that, though, I'm sure that the writers thought
> that they were providing new and profound concepts and bits of social
> relevance, but they weren't. Not in the least. It was all 50-year-old
> soap opera dialogue with a gay theme. In short, a complete waste of Tony
> from 24, who probably ended up wishing that he hadn't agreed to play
> Maggie's dad. In the end, Maggie realizes that she doesn't need her
> dad's approval because she has the support of her friends and new
> family. Blah, blah, blah. Again, absolutely nothing new here.

I thought that Carl Lumbly was terrific as Pa J'onzz. I also thought
his was the best guest turn they've had during the entire run of the
series.

They also had Supergirl quite casually killing a slew of White Martians
with that purple shooter thingie. Well, so much for that oath
business.

Ubiquitous

Oct 27, 2017, 2:53:16 PM10/27/17
jimg...@geemail.com.invalid wrote:

>SUPERGIRL / 3x03 / Far from the Tree
>
>[Eliza throws Alex and Maggie a wedding shower, which causes Maggie to
>reach out to her estranged father. Supergirl joins J’onn on a personal
>mission.]
>
> [...]
>
>And the cool '50s car that doubles as a spaceship is put back in storage.

Did it fly like the car at the end of Grease?

Shaba-baba do-bah!

David Barnett

Oct 27, 2017, 4:48:58 PM10/27/17
In article <anim8rfsk-CFEBF...@news.easynews.com>,
anim...@cox.net says...

> In article <osub5b$6q1$1...@dont-email.me>,
> "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Obveeus sent the following on 10/24/2017 at 07:58 AM:
> > > What did you watch?
> >
> > SUPERGIRL / 3x03 / Far from the Tree
> >
> > [Eliza throws Alex and Maggie a wedding shower, which causes Maggie to
> > reach out to her estranged father. Supergirl joins J�onn on a personal
> > mission.]
> >
> > It's a tale of two dads. One story is lame and involves dad issues and a
> > lesbian wedding shower (their words) and every stereotype and cliché in
Lol

--
David Barnett

anim8rfsk

Oct 27, 2017, 5:45:37 PM10/27/17
In article <MPG.345e46a...@news.eternal-september.org>,
David Barnett <dbar...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> In article <anim8rfsk-CFEBF...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim...@cox.net says...
> >
> > In article <osub5b$6q1$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > Obveeus sent the following on 10/24/2017 at 07:58 AM:
> > >
> > > SUPERGIRL / 3x03 / Far from the Tree
> > >
> > > [Eliza throws Alex and Maggie a wedding shower, which causes Maggie to
> > > reach out to her estranged father. Supergirl joins J�¤?onn on a personal
> > > mission.]
> > >
> > > It's a tale of two dads. One story is lame and involves dad issues and a
> > > lesbian wedding shower (their words) and every stereotype and cliché in
:)

Jim G.

Oct 27, 2017, 6:32:48 PM10/27/17
BTR1701 sent the following on 10/27/2017 at 12:57 AM:
That's possible, I guess. But I don't approve of that approach. It would
be better to just move the camera and let all but the most dim-witted
figure out that it's tracking the invisible guy.

>> Random thoughts:
>>
>> * Blink is fighting the false memory and T-bird is keeping quiet about
>> it all and leaving it up to the other gal to 'fess up to what she did
>> because drama.
>> * Despite still being in prison for much of this outing, Polaris
>> apparently still has unlimited access to makeup and hair care products.
>
> And why was her ability to control metal somehow blocked by the
> plexiglas enclosure, such that her only option was to rip a pin out of
> Strucker's knee?

I don't know, other than the assumption that plastic/plexi is more of a
barrier for her abilities than flesh and bone. Which makes a certain
amount of sense, I guess, since they're far less porous.

Jim G.

Oct 27, 2017, 6:35:48 PM10/27/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 10/27/2017 at 01:54 AM:
> In article <osub5b$6q1$1...@dont-email.me>,
> "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Obveeus sent the following on 10/24/2017 at 07:58 AM:
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> SUPERGIRL / 3x03 / Far from the Tree
>>
>> [Eliza throws Alex and Maggie a wedding shower, which causes Maggie to
>> reach out to her estranged father. Supergirl joins J’onn on a personal
>> mission.]
>>
>> It's a tale of two dads. One story is lame and involves dad issues and a
>> lesbian wedding shower (their words) and every stereotype and cliché in
>> the book. Its only redeeming feature is that it didn't have the generic
>> happy ending. Beyond that, though, I'm sure that the writers thought
>> that they were providing new and profound concepts and bits of social
>> relevance, but they weren't. Not in the least. It was all 50-year-old
>> soap opera dialogue with a gay theme. In short, a complete waste of Tony
>> from 24, who probably ended up wishing that he hadn't agreed to play
>> Maggie's dad. In the end, Maggie realizes that she doesn't need her
>> dad's approval because she has the support of her friends and new
>> family. Blah, blah, blah. Again, absolutely nothing new here.
>>
>> The other dad story involves J'onn. After getting the SOS last week,
>> he's off to Mars to help his White Martian gal pal and her resistance
>> group, but first he has to put Kara and Alex in charge of the DEO while
>> he's gone because the DEO doesn't have a deep bench whatsoever,
>> apparently. And of course Kara insists on going with him, so off they go
>> to the red planet. They learn that J'onn's dad is still alive, freed
>> from an Evil White Martian prison. So when J'onn first said that he was
>> the last Martian, he was wrong because there were White Martians. And
>> when he said that he was the last Green Martian, he was wrong because
>> there was his father. But other than that, he nailed it.
>
> Originally White Martians weren't the same species as Green Martians, so
> John would have been right.

But they were still all Martians, weren't they?
It's like watching a plane crash. Once it flat-spins its way to the
ground and is crumpled and in flames, it's not like it can start burrowing.

Jim G.

Oct 27, 2017, 6:36:00 PM10/27/17
A Friend sent the following on 10/27/2017 at 04:36 AM:
I agree, which is a large part of the reason I was generous and gave it
a D+. :)

> They also had Supergirl quite casually killing a slew of White Martians
> with that purple shooter thingie. Well, so much for that oath
> business.

They're more like guidelines than actual rules. ($1 to a pirate somewhere)

Jim G.

Oct 27, 2017, 6:39:23 PM10/27/17
Ubiquitous sent the following on 10/27/2017 at 01:53 PM:
> jimg...@geemail.com.invalid wrote:
>
>> SUPERGIRL / 3x03 / Far from the Tree
>>
>> [Eliza throws Alex and Maggie a wedding shower, which causes Maggie to
>> reach out to her estranged father. Supergirl joins J’onn on a personal
>> mission.]
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> And the cool '50s car that doubles as a spaceship is put back in storage.
>
> Did it fly like the car at the end of Grease?
>
> Shaba-baba do-bah!

It did play some tunes, now that you mention it. But nothing from Sandy
and Danny. :)

BTR1701

Oct 27, 2017, 7:37:47 PM10/27/17
In article <ot0c6d$ft0$5...@dont-email.me>,
But her abilities are electromagnetic. Flesh and bone is more of a
barrier to electromagnetic energy than plexiglas, the best evidence of
which is the fact that you can, you know, see through plexiglas. Visible
light is EM energy, after all.

anim8rfsk

Oct 27, 2017, 8:16:45 PM10/27/17
In article <ot0cc1$ft0$7...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rfsk sent the following on 10/27/2017 at 01:54 AM:
> > In article <osub5b$6q1$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> Obveeus sent the following on 10/24/2017 at 07:58 AM:
> >>
> >> SUPERGIRL / 3x03 / Far from the Tree
> >>
> >> [Eliza throws Alex and Maggie a wedding shower, which causes Maggie to
> >> reach out to her estranged father. Supergirl joins J⤁onn on a personal
> >> mission.]
> >>
> >> It's a tale of two dads. One story is lame and involves dad issues and a
> >> lesbian wedding shower (their words) and every stereotype and cliché in
> >> the book. Its only redeeming feature is that it didn't have the generic
> >> happy ending. Beyond that, though, I'm sure that the writers thought
> >> that they were providing new and profound concepts and bits of social
> >> relevance, but they weren't. Not in the least. It was all 50-year-old
> >> soap opera dialogue with a gay theme. In short, a complete waste of Tony
> >> from 24, who probably ended up wishing that he hadn't agreed to play
> >> Maggie's dad. In the end, Maggie realizes that she doesn't need her
> >> dad's approval because she has the support of her friends and new
> >> family. Blah, blah, blah. Again, absolutely nothing new here.
> >>
> >> The other dad story involves J'onn. After getting the SOS last week,
> >> he's off to Mars to help his White Martian gal pal and her resistance
> >> group, but first he has to put Kara and Alex in charge of the DEO while
> >> he's gone because the DEO doesn't have a deep bench whatsoever,
> >> apparently. And of course Kara insists on going with him, so off they go
> >> to the red planet. They learn that J'onn's dad is still alive, freed
> >> from an Evil White Martian prison. So when J'onn first said that he was
> >> the last Martian, he was wrong because there were White Martians. And
> >> when he said that he was the last Green Martian, he was wrong because
> >> there was his father. But other than that, he nailed it.
> >
> > Originally White Martians weren't the same species as Green Martians, so
> > John would have been right.
>
> But they were still all Martians, weren't they?

Well, in that they're both living on Mars (I'm not sure if either is
native to that planet). But the best analogy would be Humans and Mole
People ... they're both Earthlings, but they aren't the same species or
race or anything else. In some ill-advised retcons I suppose Humans and
Orangutans would be closer - common ancestor but not the same at all.
Remember these things are shapeshifters - they don't look like we see
them at all except by choice.

Unfortunately they're using 'Martian' for both origin and species here,
with color descriptors to further differentiate species.

Oh God. I just looked it up on The Wiki. I'm going to spare you, and
advise you not to look yourself. Suffice to say that currently neither
White nor Green are native to Mars, and they've been fucked with with by
the Oans so that they absolutely *can't* interbreed. I don't think
SUPERGIRL is using any known DC Martian history.

And don't ask about Yellow Martians either. Just ... don't.
heh

Jim G.

Oct 28, 2017, 12:55:39 AM10/28/17
BTR1701 sent the following on 10/27/2017 at 06:38 PM:
I'm not suggesting that her powers wouldn't work through the plastic.
I'm suggesting that she wouldn't be able to pull anything metal
*through* the plastic. The bit of metal in Dad's leg, OTOH, was only
separated from her by a bit of flesh and bone.

BTR1701

Oct 28, 2017, 6:02:42 AM10/28/17
In article <ot12k9$4ol$2...@dont-email.me>,
Which she then shot through the plexiglas into one of the guards. If she
can shoot the nail from inside to outside, she can shoot something
outside to inside, or bouncing around the outside through various fleshy
guards.

Jim G.

Oct 28, 2017, 8:28:37 PM10/28/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 10/27/2017 at 07:16 PM:
> In article <ot0cc1$ft0$7...@dont-email.me>,
> "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> anim8rfsk sent the following on 10/27/2017 at 01:54 AM:

Whenever J'onn has referred to himself on on the show as the last
Martian, I've been left with the impression that it was meant to mean
the last living sentient humanoid being on Mars, whether green or white
or blue or indigo or whatever.

> Unfortunately they're using 'Martian' for both origin and species here,
> with color descriptors to further differentiate species.
>
> Oh God. I just looked it up on The Wiki. I'm going to spare you, and
> advise you not to look yourself. Suffice to say that currently neither
> White nor Green are native to Mars, and they've been fucked with with by
> the Oans so that they absolutely *can't* interbreed. I don't think
> SUPERGIRL is using any known DC Martian history.
>
> And don't ask about Yellow Martians either. Just ... don't.

Heh. I won't. It's not a comic book area that's of particular interest
to me.

Jim G.

Oct 28, 2017, 8:38:39 PM10/28/17
BTR1701 sent the following on 10/28/2017 at 05:03 AM:
> In article <ot12k9$4ol$2...@dont-email.me>,
> "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 sent the following on 10/27/2017 at 06:38 PM:

>>> But her abilities are electromagnetic. Flesh and bone is more of a
>>> barrier to electromagnetic energy than plexiglas, the best evidence of
>>> which is the fact that you can, you know, see through plexiglas. Visible
>>> light is EM energy, after all.
>>
>> I'm not suggesting that her powers wouldn't work through the plastic.
>> I'm suggesting that she wouldn't be able to pull anything metal
>> *through* the plastic. The bit of metal in Dad's leg, OTOH, was only
>> separated from her by a bit of flesh and bone.
>
> Which she then shot through the plexiglas into one of the guards. If she
> can shoot the nail from inside to outside, she can shoot something
> outside to inside, or bouncing around the outside through various fleshy
> guards.

True. For some reason, I'd thought that the door was open again and that
the guard coming at her when that happened, but you're right. I'm sure
that I could still come up with a wank for it, but I'm not motivated at
the moment. :)

anim8rfsk

Oct 28, 2017, 9:13:59 PM10/28/17
In article <ot37bi$kdb$1...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rfsk sent the following on 10/27/2017 at 07:16 PM:
> > In article <ot0cc1$ft0$7...@dont-email.me>,
> > "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> anim8rfsk sent the following on 10/27/2017 at 01:54 AM:

IIRC he knew the place was lousy with White Martians, he just thought
they'd killed all the Green Martians.

BTR1701

Oct 29, 2017, 8:35:26 PM10/29/17
In article <anim8rfsk-4B1C5...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> In article <ot0cc1$ft0$7...@dont-email.me>,
> "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > anim8rfsk sent the following on 10/27/2017 at 01:54 AM:

> > > Originally White Martians weren't the same species as Green
> > > Martians, so John would have been right.
> >
> > But they were still all Martians, weren't they?
>
> Well, in that they're both living on Mars (I'm not sure if either is
> native to that planet). But the best analogy would be Humans and Mole
> People ...

More like humans and C.H.U.D.s, if they diverged from a common ancestor.

anim8rfsk

Oct 29, 2017, 9:42:19 PM10/29/17
In article <atropos-C07AB2...@news.giganews.com>,
Morlocks and Eloi.

Jim G.

Oct 31, 2017, 4:10:40 PM10/31/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 10/28/2017 at 08:13 PM:
Wasn't he shocked to meet the girl back when he first met her? I could
have sworn that it was an "I'm not alone" moment, regardless of whether
she was green or white.

BTR1701

Oct 31, 2017, 6:49:20 PM10/31/17
In article <otalbt$r3$2...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rfsk sent the following on 10/28/2017 at 08:13 PM:
> > In article <ot37bi$kdb$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> anim8rfsk sent the following on 10/27/2017 at 07:16 PM:

> >> Whenever J'onn has referred to himself on on the show as the last
> >> Martian, I've been left with the impression that it was meant to mean
> >> the last living sentient humanoid being on Mars, whether green or white
> >> or blue or indigo or whatever.
> >
> > IIRC he knew the place was lousy with White Martians, he just thought
> > they'd killed all the Green Martians.
>
> Wasn't he shocked to meet the girl back when he first met her? I could
> have sworn that it was an "I'm not alone" moment, regardless of whether
> she was green or white.

Well, she was pretending to be green at the time, so it's hard to tell
whether he was shocked that she was a Martian or shocked that she was a
green.

anim8rfsk

Oct 31, 2017, 7:32:52 PM10/31/17
In article <otalbt$r3$2...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rfsk sent the following on 10/28/2017 at 08:13 PM:
> > In article <ot37bi$kdb$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> anim8rfsk sent the following on 10/27/2017 at 07:16 PM:

> >> Whenever J'onn has referred to himself on on the show as the last
> >> Martian, I've been left with the impression that it was meant to mean
> >> the last living sentient humanoid being on Mars, whether green or white
> >> or blue or indigo or whatever.
> >
> > IIRC he knew the place was lousy with White Martians, he just thought
> > they'd killed all the Green Martians.
>
> Wasn't he shocked to meet the girl back when he first met her? I could
> have sworn that it was an "I'm not alone" moment, regardless of whether
> she was green or white.

Yes, he thought she was Green. He thought he was the last Green. The
Whites didn't matter, as they're an unrelated race that killed the
Greens. Of course, it turned out she was lying, so he was all alone
again. Until he wasn't.

anim8rfsk

Oct 31, 2017, 7:33:14 PM10/31/17
In article <atropos-8D918E...@news.giganews.com>,
He knew there were Whites, so the shock is at the Green.

Dimensional Traveler

Oct 31, 2017, 9:51:45 PM10/31/17
And will be again as soon as Lumley gets a better offer.

*checks his pocket* Hey Anim, how much pocket change you got?

instinct are running screaming.

anim8rfsk

Oct 31, 2017, 10:14:02 PM10/31/17
In article <otb9bf$dm7$2...@dont-email.me>,
I don't think Joanna Lumley is that expensive these days.

Dimensional Traveler

Nov 1, 2017, 12:17:52 AM11/1/17
I meant Lumbly (like you didn't know that!). And I think you just
insulted Joanna so she hates you now. At least you're consistent.

anim8rfsk

Nov 1, 2017, 1:34:22 AM11/1/17
In article <otbhte$p64$1...@dont-email.me>,
I blame Adan.

Jim G.

Nov 1, 2017, 5:08:25 PM11/1/17
BTR1701 sent the following on 10/31/2017 at 05:50 PM:
Ah, thanks. It's coming back now. Like a bad burrito.

Ubiquitous

Nov 1, 2017, 5:12:17 PM11/1/17
jimg...@geemail.com.invalid wrote:
>BTR1701 sent the following on 10/31/2017 at 05:50 PM:
>> "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>> anim8rfsk sent the following on 10/28/2017 at 08:13 PM:

>>> Wasn't he shocked to meet the girl back when he first met her? I could
>>> have sworn that it was an "I'm not alone" moment, regardless of whether
>>> she was green or white.
>>
>> Well, she was pretending to be green at the time, so it's hard to tell
>> whether he was shocked that she was a Martian or shocked that she was a
>> green.
>
>Ah, thanks. It's coming back now. Like a bad burrito.

Or gas station sushi.

Jim G.

Nov 1, 2017, 5:22:51 PM11/1/17
Ubiquitous sent the following on 11/01/2017 at 04:12 PM:
> jimg...@geemail.com.invalid wrote:
>> BTR1701 sent the following on 10/31/2017 at 05:50 PM:

>>> Well, she was pretending to be green at the time, so it's hard to tell
>>> whether he was shocked that she was a Martian or shocked that she was a
>>> green.
>>
>> Ah, thanks. It's coming back now. Like a bad burrito.
>
> Or gas station sushi.

Or a gas station sushi burrito!

Micky DuPree

Nov 5, 2017, 10:30:02 PM11/5/17
shawn <nanof...@notformailgmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 08:58:49 -0400, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

>> LUCIFER: I was having trouble following some of the legal plot
>> points in this episode. At one point, the cops show up at a 'camp
>> for troubled teens' as LUCIFER is teaching them all how to grow
>> cannabis. The pot farm was there before LUCIFER arrived, so I have
>> no idea why he thought he was teaching them a new skill.
>
> Wasn't he teaching them about how to get pot into the country and
> where it should come from. Also it's not clear if everyone knew about
> the pot farm or just the guy running the place and the blonde girl.

Is a pot farm as big a deal in California these days as it might be in
Alabama?

>> The cops cannot see one kid's juvenile record because it is
>> sealed...even though the kid is still at the camp...even though the
>> kid has turned 18.

Isn't that the whole point of a sealed juvenile record, though? That
without compelling cause, it can't be viewed once one becomes an adult?

>> During the episode LUCIFER steals a car and he makes several
>> citizens arrests, one while beating the suspect severely. Meanwhile,
>> Chloe spent most of her time with the boss. Ella tells her that the
>> boss has a crush on her. At a crime scene, the boss jumps in front
>> of a bullet to save Chloe...and I'm thinking that he, like LUCIFER,
>> didn't expect to be harmed by the bullet.
>
> He had a momentary flash back to when he was a super sort of guy.

I have no idea who he might really be, especially since Lucifer doesn't
recognize him. "The Sinner Man" comes to mind, but only because they've
used that expression. I don't know of any mythological being who might
be taking this kind of interest in Lucifer.

>> Since Chloe got saved, she now has a crush on the boss (just as she
>> did with LUCIFER). Meanwhile, Amenadiel tries to act like LUCIFER,
>> but apparently women don't find him irresistible...maybe because he
>> is now acting like he's never worn a suit before?
>
> He's also acting like he's never talked to anyone else in his life.
> Which we know isn't the case so chalk it up to the writers striking
> again. Though it was a nice set piece with the suit, his looks, the
> song and then him totally screwing things up with his blunt approach
> (trying to emulate Lucifer?)

We have no reason to believe that before the series opened, Amenadiel
had spent a lot of time among humans, especially in modern times. And
his last girlfriend -- maybe also his first? -- was a demon.

>> THE GOOD DOCTOR:
>> [....]
>> Ah well, the closest Shaun got to doing medical stuff this episode
>> was that he diagnosed a broken arm.

Not entirely fair. Triple-checking lab results is medical stuff.

>> Meanwhile, in the big case of the week, a guy has tape worms...which
>> he is allergic to...so he keeps almost dying...until the doctor's
>> perform brain surgery (and a bunch of lesser surgeries off camera) to
>> rid the patient of the cysts encasing the tape worms.
>
> Don't forget that they only find out about the tape worms due to a hug
> from a long missing son and the allergic reaction that almost
> immediately followed.

Floating the cyst out of the brain was a cool visual.

>> What did you watch?
>
> Some 1950s TV with THE QUATERMASS EXPERIMENT where the world has truly
> gone to shit and now someone/thing is killing off/taking the kids
> around the world with some sort of mind control. Typical of UK
> television (especially of that age) there's lots of filler in each
> episode of this serial. One day I may get around to watching the 2005
> recreation of it over on the Dailymotion.

I can understand why youngsters who didn't grow up with the original
_Doctor Who_ find it insufferably slow and repetitive.

-Micky

Obveeus

Nov 5, 2017, 11:00:18 PM11/5/17

On 11/5/2017 10:30 PM, Micky DuPree wrote:
> shawn <nanof...@notformailgmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 08:58:49 -0400, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>> LUCIFER: I was having trouble following some of the legal plot
>>> points in this episode. At one point, the cops show up at a 'camp
>>> for troubled teens' as LUCIFER is teaching them all how to grow
>>> cannabis. The pot farm was there before LUCIFER arrived, so I have
>>> no idea why he thought he was teaching them a new skill.
>>
>> Wasn't he teaching them about how to get pot into the country and
>> where it should come from. Also it's not clear if everyone knew about
>> the pot farm or just the guy running the place and the blonde girl.
>
> Is a pot farm as big a deal in California these days as it might be in
> Alabama?

An illegal pot farm is still an illegal pot farm. Additionally, this
particular illegal pot farm was being run using child labor from a
reform school ranch (halfway house for kids).

>>> The cops cannot see one kid's juvenile record because it is
>>> sealed...even though the kid is still at the camp...even though the
>>> kid has turned 18.
>
> Isn't that the whole point of a sealed juvenile record, though? That
> without compelling cause, it can't be viewed once one becomes an adult?

...but this show tried to have it both ways, with the kid working at the
ranch for juvenile delinquents (as one of the delinquents) and also
being 18 and an adult such that all his records are sealed. It seemed
like rather remarkable timing that his records had been sealed even
before he could be discharged from the camp.

shawn

Nov 6, 2017, 6:10:20 AM11/6/17
On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 03:30:00 +0000 (UTC),
MDu...@theworld.com.snip.to.reply (Micky DuPree) wrote:

>shawn <nanof...@notformailgmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 08:58:49 -0400, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>> LUCIFER: I was having trouble following some of the legal plot
>>> points in this episode. At one point, the cops show up at a 'camp
>>> for troubled teens' as LUCIFER is teaching them all how to grow
>>> cannabis. The pot farm was there before LUCIFER arrived, so I have
>>> no idea why he thought he was teaching them a new skill.
>>
>> Wasn't he teaching them about how to get pot into the country and
>> where it should come from. Also it's not clear if everyone knew about
>> the pot farm or just the guy running the place and the blonde girl.
>
>Is a pot farm as big a deal in California these days as it might be in
>Alabama?

I think it may be a big deal because it's still illegal to grow
marijuana unless you get official approval and keep your crop under
tight control and pay the appropriate taxes.

People that are skipping all of those issues often tend to be equally
protective of their crops, often with violence since there's big money
in illegal weed. Probably not as much in California as there used to
be but I'm sure it's the case given how big illegal cigarettes have
been over the years (shipped from one state to another to take
advantage of the difference in taxes.)

>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Some 1950s TV with THE QUATERMASS EXPERIMENT where the world has truly
>> gone to shit and now someone/thing is killing off/taking the kids
>> around the world with some sort of mind control. Typical of UK
>> television (especially of that age) there's lots of filler in each
>> episode of this serial. One day I may get around to watching the 2005
>> recreation of it over on the Dailymotion.
>
>I can understand why youngsters who didn't grow up with the original
>_Doctor Who_ find it insufferably slow and repetitive.

Yeah, most of those older shows (even going into the 80s) from the UK
come off as much slower than modern shows.

suzeeq

Nov 6, 2017, 9:45:26 AM11/6/17
Obveeus wrote:

> On 11/5/2017 10:30 PM, Micky DuPree wrote:
>> shawn <nanof...@notformailgmail.com> writes:

>>> Wasn't he teaching them about how to get pot into the country and
>>> where it should come from. Also it's not clear if everyone knew about
>>> the pot farm or just the guy running the place and the blonde girl.
>> Is a pot farm as big a deal in California these days as it might be in
>> Alabama?
>
> An illegal pot farm is still an illegal pot farm. Additionally, this
> particular illegal pot farm was being run using child labor from a
> reform school ranch (halfway house for kids).

I thought the kids were running it.

Obveeus

Nov 6, 2017, 10:18:27 AM11/6/17
Nope. The guy running the camp for troubled youths was running the pot
farm and using the kids he was supposed to be reforming as his labor.

anim8rfsk

Nov 6, 2017, 11:05:55 AM11/6/17
In article <otpug1$6j8$4...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
Was he wanted for more than that? Because shooting cops to get away
from a pot farm conviction seems pretty stupid.

Obveeus

Nov 6, 2017, 11:11:00 AM11/6/17

On 11/6/2017 11:05 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <otpug1$6j8$4...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:

>>> I thought the kids were running it.
>>
>> Nope. The guy running the camp for troubled youths was running the pot
>> farm and using the kids he was supposed to be reforming as his labor.
>
> Was he wanted for more than that? Because shooting cops to get away
> from a pot farm conviction seems pretty stupid.

Yep...though I think mostly he wanted to be able to get away with his
large cash of sunken treasure rather than spend any time in jail.

Micky DuPree

Nov 20, 2017, 9:41:01 PM11/20/17
shawn <nanof...@notformailgmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 03:30:00 +0000 (UTC),
> MDu...@theworld.com.snip.to.reply (Micky DuPree) wrote:

>> Is a pot farm as big a deal in California these days as it might be
>> in Alabama?
>
> I think it may be a big deal because it's still illegal to grow
> marijuana unless you get official approval and keep your crop under
> tight control and pay the appropriate taxes.

I didn't know you had to register/get approval to grow. Taxes, on the
other hand, I had heard about.

> People that are skipping all of those issues often tend to be equally
> protective of their crops, often with violence since there's big money
> in illegal weed. Probably not as much in California as there used to
> be but I'm sure it's the case given how big illegal cigarettes have
> been over the years (shipped from one state to another to take
> advantage of the difference in taxes.)

Part of the problem of forcing weed to be a cash industry is that
there's less of a paper trail.

>> I can understand why youngsters who didn't grow up with the original
>> _Doctor Who_ find it insufferably slow and repetitive.
>
> Yeah, most of those older shows (even going into the 80s) from the UK
> come off as much slower than modern shows.

I can mentally make the adjustment for the slower pace of older British
TV and classic Japanese movies, but people who grew up after the advent
of MTV sometimes won't even make the adjustment for older American TV
and movies. It's all too slow for them.

-Micky

suzeeq

Nov 20, 2017, 11:33:35 PM11/20/17
Micky DuPree wrote:
> shawn <nanof...@notformailgmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 03:30:00 +0000 (UTC),
>> MDu...@theworld.com.snip.to.reply (Micky DuPree) wrote:
>
>>> Is a pot farm as big a deal in California these days as it might be
>>> in Alabama?
>> I think it may be a big deal because it's still illegal to grow
>> marijuana unless you get official approval and keep your crop under
>> tight control and pay the appropriate taxes.
>
> I didn't know you had to register/get approval to grow. Taxes, on the
> other hand, I had heard about.

Yes, you have to get a license or something.