"Star Trek" movies won't re-cast Chekov

David

Jul 19, 2016, 6:18:34 PM7/19/16
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/jj-abrams-re-cast-anton-yelchin-character-star-trek-1201817719/

J.J. Abrams Won’t Re-Cast Anton Yelchin’s Role in ‘Star Trek’ Movies
by Dave McNary

Producer J.J. Abrams has decided that Anton Yelchin’s Pavel Chekov
character will not be re-cast for future “Star Trek” movies.

“I would say there’s no replacing him,” Abrams told the Toronto Sun.
“There’s no recasting. I can’t possibly imagine that, and I think
Anton deserves better.”

The late Anton Yelchin, who died June 19 in a freak accident, had
played the Chekov character in the three reboots. The third film in
the revamped franchise premieres on Wednesday at Comic-Con in San
Diego and opens in theaters on Friday.

Abrams told the newspaper he could not disclose if the next “Star
Trek” film would include the death of Chekov’s character. “I have
thought about it, we’re working on it, and it’s too early to talk
about it,” he said.

moviePig

Jul 19, 2016, 6:40:55 PM7/19/16
Sorry - and I think very kindly of Yelchin (don't miss GREEN ROOM) - but
killing off a long-standing character that he himself took over seems
the height of sentimentality.

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

FPP

Jul 19, 2016, 8:03:25 PM7/19/16
Some of his lines in Green Room were particularly hard to hear him deliver...
--
I no doubt deserved my enemies, but I don't believe I deserved my
friends. -Whitman

RichA

Jul 19, 2016, 8:05:46 PM7/19/16
Proggy disease. But then Chekov only existed in Star Trek because it was the 1960's and Hollywood wanted to portray a "coming together" of former U.S./Russian enemies in a pan-galactic federation. Same as in that crap sequel to "2001," "2010."

Obveeus

Jul 19, 2016, 9:25:23 PM7/19/16
The don't have to kill him off. He could just be off-screen on a
different starship or at Starfleet academy. At least they aren't
immediately writing a plot where his mind gets bodyswapped.

Ed Stasiak

Jul 19, 2016, 10:03:30 PM7/19/16
> David
>
> Producer J.J. Abrams has decided that Anton Yelchin’s Pavel Chekov
> character will not be re-cast for future “Star Trek” movies.

I thought the actor did a good job but this is stupid, Chekov is a popular
long running character who should be recast and J.J.Abrams is a hack,
so we all know whoever the replacement character will be, they'll suck.

I'd say there’s a 99.9%+ chance that the replacement character will be
a strong independent womyn who don’t need no man…

anim8rfsk

Jul 20, 2016, 12:17:30 AM7/20/16
In article <nmmju1$jn9$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 7/19/2016 6:40 PM, moviePig wrote:
> > On 7/19/2016 6:18 PM, David wrote:
> >> http://variety.com/2016/film/news/jj-abrams-re-cast-anton-yelchin-character
> >> -star-trek-1201817719/
> >>

> >> J.J. Abrams Wonąt Re-Cast Anton Yelchinąs Role in ŚStar Treką Movies
> >> by Dave McNary
> >>
> >> Producer J.J. Abrams has decided that Anton Yelchinąs Pavel Chekov
> >> character will not be re-cast for future łStar Trek˛ movies.
> >>
> >> łI would say thereąs no replacing him,˛ Abrams told the Toronto Sun.
> >> łThereąs no recasting. I canąt possibly imagine that, and I think
> >> Anton deserves better.˛

JJ, you're an idiot. He thinks he invented these characters.

> >> The late Anton Yelchin, who died June 19 in a freak accident, had
> >> played the Chekov character in the three reboots. The third film in
> >> the revamped franchise premieres on Wednesday at Comic-Con in San
> >> Diego and opens in theaters on Friday.
> >>

> >> Abrams told the newspaper he could not disclose if the next łStar
> >> Trek˛ film would include the death of Chekovąs character. łI have
> >> thought about it, weąre working on it, and itąs too early to talk
> >> about it,˛ he said.
> >
> > Sorry - and I think very kindly of Yelchin (don't miss GREEN ROOM) - but
> > killing off a long-standing character that he himself took over seems
> > the height of sentimentality.
>
> The don't have to kill him off. He could just be off-screen on a
> different starship or at Starfleet academy. At least they aren't
> immediately writing a plot where his mind gets bodyswapped.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Obveeus

Jul 20, 2016, 9:09:46 AM7/20/16

On 7/20/2016 12:17 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <nmmju1$jn9$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:

> JJ, you're an idiot. He thinks he invented these characters.

I don't think that is the case. I doubt he would have any problem
recasting Chekov if he was recasting the entire crew. His point is that
it wouldn't make sense to recast Chekov within this universe/iteration
of the characters.

Arthur Lipscomb

Jul 20, 2016, 10:13:12 AM7/20/16
If they can recast Bruce Banner and Rhodey in the Marvel universe, they
*can* recast Chekov in the Star Trek universe. We're already on our
third cinematic Spider-Man and more Batmans and Supermans than I can
count. I think audiences can handle a new Chekov. Who else is going to
get tortured or injured to demonstrate to the audience there's danger?

Dimensional Traveler

Jul 20, 2016, 10:50:59 AM7/20/16
"red shirt"

--
Running the rec.arts.TV Channels Watched Survey for Summer 2016

Obveeus

Jul 20, 2016, 11:06:56 AM7/20/16

On 7/20/2016 10:13 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 7/20/2016 6:09 AM, Obveeus wrote:
>>

>> On 7/20/2016 12:17 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>>> JJ, you're an idiot. He thinks he invented these characters.
>>
>> I don't think that is the case. I doubt he would have any problem
>> recasting Chekov if he was recasting the entire crew. His point is that
>> it wouldn't make sense to recast Chekov within this universe/iteration
>> of the characters.
>
> If they can recast Bruce Banner and Rhodey in the Marvel universe, they
> *can* recast Chekov in the Star Trek universe.

They *can* do whatever they want. It seems clear at this point that
what they want is not to replace one member of the cast and pretend that
the actor didn't die in real life.

> We're already on our
> third cinematic Spider-Man and more Batmans and Supermans than I can
> count.

Again...almost entirely in reboots of the series.

> I think audiences can handle a new Chekov. Who else is going to
> get tortured or injured to demonstrate to the audience there's danger?

Actually, now that Chekov is gone, they can put someone on the bridge
crew that can die...or at least that you might worry *could* die for the
next film or two.

David Johnston

Jul 20, 2016, 12:55:13 PM7/20/16
On 7/20/2016 8:13 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 7/20/2016 6:09 AM, Obveeus wrote:
>>

>> On 7/20/2016 12:17 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>>> JJ, you're an idiot. He thinks he invented these characters.
>>
>> I don't think that is the case. I doubt he would have any problem
>> recasting Chekov if he was recasting the entire crew. His point is that
>> it wouldn't make sense to recast Chekov within this universe/iteration
>> of the characters.
>
> If they can recast Bruce Banner and Rhodey in the Marvel universe, they
> *can* recast Chekov in the Star Trek universe. We're already on our
> third cinematic Spider-Man

No, each one was a reboot. Which is why they keep telling us his
origin. We KNOW HIS BLOODY ORIGIN!

and more Batmans and Supermans than I can
> count.

The Batman thing didn't work all that well.

Rhino

Jul 20, 2016, 1:54:40 PM7/20/16
That's about the only kind of character they can write these days, aside
from transsexuals who don't need nuthin' from nobody....

--
Rhino