Jill Tarter kicks Stephen Hawking's ass

The Starmaker

May 29, 2012, 4:58:29 PM5/29/12
Report not abuse
Jill Tarter says Sir Stephen Hawking is wrong about aliens coming to attack or colonize Earth...
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0529/Forget-Men-in-Black-3-Why-aliens-won-t-attack-Earth

Jill should throw Stephen down the stairs..

The Starmaker

Big Dog

May 29, 2012, 5:17:08 PM5/29/12
Report not abuse
On May 29, 3:58 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Jill Tarter says Sir Stephen Hawking is wrong about aliens coming to attack or colonize Earth...  http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0529/Forget-Men-in-Black-3-Why-...
>
> Jill should throw Stephen down the stairs..
>
> The Starmaker

Enjoy your first amendment right to be a helpless twit in public.
Loudly, if you like.
Seems like there's one on every subway train anyway. Would help if you
wore aluminum foil on your fingers while you type so that the Secret
Scientific Elite Corps doesn't sabotage your brainwaves through the
keyboard.

Only one thing better than an idiot for entertainment and that's an
idiot in a jackass outfit that's on fire.

Dorothy J Heydt

May 29, 2012, 5:31:02 PM5/29/12
In article <e651c127-615a-433f...@x6g2000pbh.googlegroups.com>,
Amen, hallelujah.

And who's Jill Tarter?

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

James Silverton

May 29, 2012, 5:52:03 PM5/29/12
Report not abuse
On aliens, her opinion is probably as good as Stephen Hawking's but I
doubt, whoever she is, if she has the intellectual capability to kick
Hawking's ass.
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

RichA

May 29, 2012, 5:58:32 PM5/29/12
Report not abuse
On May 29, 4:58 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Jill Tarter says Sir Stephen Hawking is wrong about aliens coming to attack or colonize Earth...  http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0529/Forget-Men-in-Black-3-Why-...
>
> Jill should throw Stephen down the stairs..
>
> The Starmaker

If they bother to expend the resources (do ANY of you understand
ANYTHING about science or engineering??) to get here, they won't be
coming to browse.

Quadibloc

May 29, 2012, 6:05:16 PM5/29/12
On May 29, 2:58 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Jill should throw Stephen down the stairs..

No, she shouldn't. It's not nice to do something like that to a
helpless invalid.

John Savard

Quadibloc

May 29, 2012, 6:06:40 PM5/29/12
On May 29, 3:31 pm, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:

> And who's Jill Tarter?

She was mentioned in a recent news item I saw. Apparently, she may
have even been the inspiration for Jodie Foster's character in
Contact. She is a figure in the SETI movement, a scientist involved in
that field of research.

John Savard

The Starmaker

May 29, 2012, 6:28:57 PM5/29/12
Report not abuse
James Silverton wrote:

> On 5/29/2012 4:58 PM, The Starmaker wrote:
> > Jill Tarter says Sir Stephen Hawking is wrong about aliens coming to attack or colonize Earth...
> > http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0529/Forget-Men-in-Black-3-Why-aliens-won-t-attack-Earth
> >

> > Jill should throw Stephen down the stairs..
> >

> > The Starmaker
>
> On aliens, her opinion is probably as good as Stephen Hawking's but I
> doubt, whoever she is, if she has the intellectual capability to kick
> Hawking's ass.

All the more reason to throw him down the stairs...

William F. Adams

May 29, 2012, 7:32:39 PM5/29/12
On May 29, 4:58 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Jill Tarter says Sir Stephen Hawking is wrong about aliens coming to attack or colonize Earth...  http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0529/Forget-Men-in-Black-3-Why-...
>
> Jill should throw Stephen down the stairs..

Possibilities:

Childhood's End
Boat of a Million Years
Footfall
Vilcabamba --- http://www.tor.com/stories/2010/02/vilcabamba

Given how most human first contacts went, the latter seems likeliest.

Has anyone done an aliens colonize earth 'cause they wrecked their own
planet story?

Dorothy J Heydt

May 29, 2012, 7:35:56 PM5/29/12
In article <3fc9d7b0-1e60-489c...@n16g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>,
Well, it doesn't involve colonizing earth, but there's that story
in Analog, whereof I forget title and author, where the tagline
is "You say you have done a bad job with your planet. Please
teach us to do a job that is as bad."

jonathan

May 29, 2012, 8:43:05 PM5/29/12
Report not abuse

"The Starmaker" <star...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
...'why is it always the opinion of the egghead set that aliens
are friendly?'

....'no it won't...when it's ready, my body'll just push it out...'

Regina: I want to apologize to you; it seems we got off
to a bad start.
Klaatu: It seems we did....

tphile2

May 29, 2012, 9:24:59 PM5/29/12
On May 29, 6:32 pm, "William F. Adams" <willad...@aol.com> wrote:
> On May 29, 4:58 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > Jill Tarter says Sir Stephen Hawking is wrong about aliens coming to attack or colonize Earth...  http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0529/Forget-Men-in-Black-3-Why-...
>
> > Jill should throw Stephen down the stairs..
>
> Possibilities:
>
> Childhood's End
> Boat of a Million Years
> Footfall
> Vilcabamba ---http://www.tor.com/stories/2010/02/vilcabamba
>
> Given how most human first contacts went, the latter seems likeliest.
>
> Has anyone done an aliens colonize earth 'cause they wrecked their own
> planet story?

Krypton for sure in any version that I recall.
You can argue Alien Nation as well.

Wayne Throop

May 29, 2012, 9:27:46 PM5/29/12
Report not abuse

: tphile2 <tph...@cableone.net>
: Krypton for sure in any version that I recall.
: You can argue Alien Nation as well.

Independence Day.

tphile2

May 29, 2012, 9:42:17 PM5/29/12
On May 29, 8:27 pm, thro...@sheol.org (Wayne Throop) wrote:
> :: Has anyone done an aliens colonize earth 'cause they wrecked their
> :: own planet story?
>
> : tphile2 <tphi...@cableone.net>
> : Krypton for sure in any version that I recall.
> : You can argue Alien Nation as well.
>
> Independence Day.

Lets not forget the first and most famous one of all, Wells The War of
The World as the martians looked upon us with evious eyes and slowly
and surely drew their plans against us.

William December Starr

May 29, 2012, 10:19:32 PM5/29/12
"William F. Adams" <will...@aol.com> said:

> Possibilities:
>
> Childhood's End
> Boat of a Million Years
> Footfall
> Vilcabamba --- http://www.tor.com/stories/2010/02/vilcabamba

Is that that Turtledove story whose name I can never remember?

(Checks.)

Yup, it is. Now I'll forget it again.

-- wds

Dorothy J Heydt

May 29, 2012, 10:17:00 PM5/29/12
In article <b26290ef-19b0-42d1...@k5g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>,
Yes, except for the "wrecked their own planet" part. The planet
wrecked itself.

All the great Old Mars stories take one or more pages from
Percival Lowell, the man with the tesselated eyeballs, who
drew canals from crater's edge to crater's edge from poles to
equator, and dreamed a wonderful dream about them. The elderly
planet,* dying for lack of water, drying out around the edges....
great stuff.

_____
*Because somewhere along the line there was somebody's theory
that all the planets were thrown out from the sun one by one, so
that Mars is old and dying, Earth is Earth's age, and Venus is
young and full of dinosaurs.

Wayne Throop

May 29, 2012, 10:27:37 PM5/29/12
Report not abuse
:::: Has anyone done an aliens colonize earth 'cause they wrecked their
:::: own planet story?

::: Krypton for sure in any version that I recall.
::: You can argue Alien Nation as well.

:: Independence Day.

: Lets not forget the first and most famous one of all, Wells The War of
: The World as the martians looked upon us with evious eyes and slowly
: and surely drew their plans against us.
: tphile2 <tph...@cableone.net>

That's a good point, but note that the Martians didn't afaik
roon mars. Mars was just dying of old age. Of course, they
overdepended on technology, and let their immune systems go
to hell in a handbasket. Buncha pansies. That's why the Chtorrans
are Hard Core. The Chtorrans might be another example about
as close as Wellsian martians, but without the convenient
self destruct mechanism.

I hear hurricanes a-blowing
I know the end is coming soon
I fear rivers overflowing
I hear the voice of rage and roon
--- Credence Clearwater Revival

I don't know. I don't know.
I don't know where I'm a-gonna go
When the volcano blow
--- Jimmy Buffet

"I can be... HARD CORE!" --- Bubbles

anim8rFSK

May 30, 2012, 12:34:06 AM5/30/12
Report not abuse
In article
<5192c1b9-2fb0-4119...@f7g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
The Kryptonians "wrecked their own planet"? Sometimes it just blew up,
sometimes their sun took it out, sometimes villains did it ... any
versions where the Kryptonians did it to themselves are few and far
between.

--
NETFLIX is befouling the ends of shows with text & graphics and shrinkage

Mike Dworetsky

May 30, 2012, 2:14:46 AM5/30/12
Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article
> <e651c127-615a-433f...@x6g2000pbh.googlegroups.com>,
> Big Dog <big.fi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On May 29, 3:58 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>> Jill Tarter says Sir Stephen Hawking is wrong about aliens coming to
>> attack or colonize Earth...
>> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0529/Forget-Men-in-Black-3-Why-...
>>>
>>> Jill should throw Stephen down the stairs..
>>>
>>> The Starmaker
>>
>> Enjoy your first amendment right to be a helpless twit in public.
>> Loudly, if you like.
>> Seems like there's one on every subway train anyway. Would help if
>> you wore aluminum foil on your fingers while you type so that the
>> Secret Scientific Elite Corps doesn't sabotage your brainwaves
>> through the keyboard.
>>
>> Only one thing better than an idiot for entertainment and that's an
>> idiot in a jackass outfit that's on fire.
>
> Amen, hallelujah.
>
> And who's Jill Tarter?

Astronomer who has been active for many years in the SETI project; retiring
director of the SETI project within the SETI Institute in Mountain View,
California.

http://www.seti.org/

It is widely stated that the Ellie Arroway character in "Contact" was
modelled on Jill.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

Mike Dworetsky

May 30, 2012, 2:18:15 AM5/30/12
Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

William F. Adams

May 30, 2012, 7:34:44 AM5/30/12
On May 30, 2:18 am, "Mike Dworetsky"
<platinum...@pants.btinternet.com> wrote:
> William F. Adams wrote:
> > On May 29, 4:58 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >> Jill Tarter says Sir Stephen Hawking is wrong about aliens coming to
> >> attack or colonize Earth...
> >>http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0529/Forget-Men-in-Black-3-Why-...
>
> >> Jill should throw Stephen down the stairs..
>
> > Possibilities:
>
> > Childhood's End
> > Boat of a Million Years
> > Footfall
> > Vilcabamba ---http://www.tor.com/stories/2010/02/vilcabamba
>
> > Given how most human first contacts went, the latter seems likeliest.
>
> > Has anyone done an aliens colonize earth 'cause they wrecked their own
> > planet story?
>
> Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

I'd thought that the aliens in that were colonizing 'cause it was
their nature / politics.

William

Walter Bushell

May 30, 2012, 7:42:37 AM5/30/12
In article
<073b9ca2-88c7-4fc2...@to5g2000pbc.googlegroups.com>,
Seeking converts to their religion, no doubt, or sophants who will
work hard at boring jobs for triva, like plans and tools to build
working hydrogen fusion plants etcetera.

--
This space unintentionally left blank.

Walter Bushell

May 30, 2012, 7:44:37 AM5/30/12
In article
<aa39c263-59fe-4321...@nw7g2000pbb.googlegroups.com>,
Or even an able bodied person, and in most juristritions it's illegal,
as well as a socking breech of manners.

Walter Bushell

May 30, 2012, 7:45:45 AM5/30/12
In article <M4t5J...@kithrup.com>,
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:

> In article
> <3fc9d7b0-1e60-489c...@n16g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>,
> William F. Adams <will...@aol.com> wrote:
> >On May 29, 4:58 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >> Jill Tarter says Sir Stephen Hawking is wrong about aliens coming to
> >attack or colonize Earth...
> > http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0529/Forget-Men-in-Black-3-Why-...
> >>
> >> Jill should throw Stephen down the stairs..
> >
> >Possibilities:
> >
> >Childhood's End
> >Boat of a Million Years
> >Footfall
> >Vilcabamba --- http://www.tor.com/stories/2010/02/vilcabamba
> >
> >Given how most human first contacts went, the latter seems likeliest.
> >
> >Has anyone done an aliens colonize earth 'cause they wrecked their own
> >planet story?
>
> Well, it doesn't involve colonizing earth, but there's that story
> in Analog, whereof I forget title and author, where the tagline
> is "You say you have done a bad job with your planet. Please
> teach us to do a job that is as bad."

I remember that story and it is one of the most depressing.

Walter Bushell

May 30, 2012, 7:48:52 AM5/30/12
Wells The War of The World was a commentary on the European conquest
of Africa, down to the colonist in many regions dying like flies.
Without that the situation would have been much worse.

Cryptoengineer

May 30, 2012, 9:17:38 AM5/30/12
On May 30, 7:48 am, Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com> wrote:
> In article
> <b26290ef-19b0-42d1-b554-c62801068...@k5g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  tphile2 <tphi...@cableone.net> wrote:
> > On May 29, 8:27 pm, thro...@sheol.org (Wayne Throop) wrote:
> > > :: Has anyone done an aliens colonize earth 'cause they wrecked their
> > > :: own planet story?
>
> > > : tphile2 <tphi...@cableone.net>
> > > : Krypton for sure in any version that I recall.
> > > : You can argue Alien Nation as well.
>
> > > Independence Day.
>
> > Lets not forget the first and most famous one of all, Wells The War of
> > The World as the martians looked upon us with evious eyes and slowly
> > and surely drew their plans against us.
>
> Wells The War of The World was a commentary on the European conquest
> of Africa, down to the colonist in many regions dying like flies.
> Without that the situation would have been much worse.

Other possibilities:

Turtledove: The Road Not Taken (the aliens are technically inferior,
except for having antigravity and FTL, which we steal).

Stanislaw Lem: Fiasco (the aliens are so damn strange that we don't
even recognize them as organisms, at the start (we're invading them)).

Tarter's predicated her life's work on the notion that there are
aliens we *can* communicate with, and that both we and they *want* to
communicate with each other. I don't know that either assumption is
necessarily valid.

Aliens might just as easily find us crunchy, and good with ketchup,
and care about our 'intelligence' and 'culture' about as much as we
care about that of ant colonies.

pt

tphile2

May 30, 2012, 10:57:51 AM5/30/12
On May 29, 9:27 pm, thro...@sheol.org (Wayne Throop) wrote:
> :::: Has anyone done an aliens colonize earth 'cause they wrecked their
> :::: own planet story?
>
> ::: Krypton for sure in any version that I recall.
> ::: You can argue Alien Nation as well.
>
> :: Independence Day.
>
> : Lets not forget the first and most famous one of all, Wells The War of
> : The World as the martians looked upon us with evious eyes and slowly
> : and surely drew their plans against us.
> : tphile2 <tphi...@cableone.net>
>
> That's a good point, but note that the Martians didn't afaik
> roon mars.  Mars was just dying of old age.  Of course, they
> overdepended on technology, and let their immune systems go
> to hell in a handbasket.  Buncha pansies.  That's why the Chtorrans
> are Hard Core.  The Chtorrans might be another example about
> as close as Wellsian martians, but without the convenient
> self destruct mechanism.
>
>     I hear hurricanes a-blowing
>     I know the end is coming soon
>     I fear rivers overflowing
>     I hear the voice of rage and roon
>               --- Credence Clearwater Revival
>
>     I don't know.  I don't know.
>     I don't know where I'm a-gonna go
>     When the volcano blow
>               --- Jimmy Buffet
>
>     "I can be... HARD CORE!"    --- Bubbles

The Pal movie said the martians were anemic, but it should be a given
that alien biologies meeting the first time could be totally toxic
because they are vulnerable or totally benign because the biology is
too different What was never covered was how we would react to the
germs and bugs the Martians brought with them that they were totally
immune too. Prime example The Andromeda Strain. and even if not
infectious, an alien biology could overrun ours like kudzu or rabbits
in Australia.
I would say that the martians did roon mars, by using up its
resources, no recycling and causing global freezing etc alot more than
the Independance Day aliens which were nothing more than resource
raiders.

Greg Goss

May 30, 2012, 12:06:26 PM5/30/12
James Silverton <jim.si...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On 5/29/2012 4:58 PM, The Starmaker wrote:
>> Jill Tarter says Sir Stephen Hawking is wrong about aliens coming to attack or colonize Earth...
>> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0529/Forget-Men-in-Black-3-Why-aliens-won-t-attack-Earth
>>

>> Jill should throw Stephen down the stairs..
>>

>> The Starmaker
>
>On aliens, her opinion is probably as good as Stephen Hawking's but I
>doubt, whoever she is, if she has the intellectual capability to kick
>Hawking's ass.

That's why you put Hawking's ass on wheels first.
--
I used to own a mind like a steel trap.
Perhaps if I'd specified a brass one, it

Greg Goss

May 30, 2012, 12:08:23 PM5/30/12
"William F. Adams" <will...@aol.com> wrote:

Given the difficulties of interstellar colonization, it's easier to
fix the damage you did, rather than move.

Greg Goss

May 30, 2012, 12:10:49 PM5/30/12
Krypton's blowup was a natural disaster in the history I grew up with.

>You can argue Alien Nation as well.

Eh? They were a manufactured species. I don't know if a home planet
of a feedstock species was ever mentioned.

If we include natural wreckage, you get a fair number, all the way
back to Well's War of the Worlds.

Greg Goss

May 30, 2012, 12:13:49 PM5/30/12
tphile2 <tph...@cableone.net> wrote:

>On May 29, 9:27 pm, thro...@sheol.org (Wayne Throop) wrote:

>> That's a good point, but note that the Martians didn't afaik
>> roon mars.  Mars was just dying of old age.  Of course, they
>> overdepended on technology, and let their immune systems go
>> to hell in a handbasket.  Buncha pansies.  That's why the Chtorrans
>> are Hard Core.  The Chtorrans might be another example about
>> as close as Wellsian martians, but without the convenient
>> self destruct mechanism.

>The Pal movie said the martians were anemic, but it should be a given
>that alien biologies meeting the first time could be totally toxic
>because they are vulnerable or totally benign because the biology is
>too different What was never covered was how we would react to the
>germs and bugs the Martians brought with them that they were totally
>immune too.

The assumption, from before understanding the bacterial ecology within
ourselves, was that any advanced civilization would completely remove
germs and bugs from around themselves, after which the immune system
would atrophy from disuse. Asimov's Spacers did the same thing.

Greg Goss

May 30, 2012, 12:19:17 PM5/30/12
"William F. Adams" <will...@aol.com> wrote:
>On May 30, 2:18 am, "Mike Dworetsky"
>> William F. Adams wrote:

>> > Has anyone done an aliens colonize earth 'cause they wrecked their own
>> > planet story?
>>
>> Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.
>
>I'd thought that the aliens in that were colonizing 'cause it was
>their nature / politics.

They were invading from their lifeboat because their homeworld had
been destroyed.

Wayne Throop

May 30, 2012, 12:49:54 PM5/30/12
: tphile2 <tph...@cableone.net>
: I would say that the martians did roon mars, by using up its
: resources, no recycling and causing global freezing etc alot more than
: the Independance Day aliens which were nothing more than resource
: raiders.

I was going from the scene where they were described as locusts,
who use a world up, totally, and then move on. That's a bit more
than "reseource raiders".

Though... the aliens in the latest Kris Longknife book seem to be
resource raiders, and leave the planets they raid essentially dead,
stealing most of the atmosphere, ocean, and large chunks of the biosphere.
But they seem to be on an entirely different order of magnitude than
the Independence Day aliens; they grab a noticeable percentage of the
mass of the local gas giant for fuel as they leave.

So I suppose there's a spectrum from "use up and move on" to
"resource raiders" that all leave a planet pretty dead. The variables
along the spectrum perhaps being how long it takes, how permanently
they take up residence, and whether the natives are irrelevant or
the object of active xenophobia. Or maybe some others.

anim8rFSK

May 30, 2012, 3:05:33 PM5/30/12
In article <a2muvu...@mid.individual.net>,
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:

> "William F. Adams" <will...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >On May 29, 4:58 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >> Jill Tarter says Sir Stephen Hawking is wrong about aliens coming to
> >> attack or colonize Earth...
> >>  http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0529/Forget-Men-in-Black-3-Why-...
> >>
> >> Jill should throw Stephen down the stairs..
> >
> >Possibilities:
> >
> >Childhood's End
> >Boat of a Million Years
> >Footfall
> >Vilcabamba --- http://www.tor.com/stories/2010/02/vilcabamba
> >
> >Given how most human first contacts went, the latter seems likeliest.
> >
> >Has anyone done an aliens colonize earth 'cause they wrecked their own
> >planet story?
>
> Given the difficulties of interstellar colonization, it's easier to
> fix the damage you did, rather than move.

Tell that to Firefly.

The Starmaker

May 30, 2012, 4:28:23 PM5/30/12
The Starmaker wrote:

> Jill Tarter says Sir Stephen Hawking is wrong about aliens coming to attack or colonize Earth...
> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0529/Forget-Men-in-Black-3-Why-aliens-won-t-attack-Earth
>
> Jill should throw Stephen down the stairs..
>
> The Starmaker

That's a 'pattern' with...these people, of the scientific community..
there argue about things that don't even *exist*, except in their own minds.

The Starmaker

Wayne Throop

May 30, 2012, 4:33:37 PM5/30/12
: The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com>
: That's a 'pattern' with...these people, of the scientific community..
: there argue about things that don't even *exist*, except in their own
: minds.

Is there some problem with discussing hypothetical things?
Like, for example, Einstein's work on bomb design.
You know, if, hypothetically, he had done any.

The Starmaker

May 30, 2012, 9:03:03 PM5/30/12
I already showed you his bomb design...
http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/Untitled-1.html

Einstein would design the bomb...and pass the information to the russians. How do
you think the russians got the bomb, from uncle Albert..
http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/Untitled-1.html

He told the russians, "Google refrigeration and these's my bomb."
http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/Untitled-1.html

I'm probably the only one in the world who knows this stuff!

The Starmaker

Wayne Throop

May 30, 2012, 9:24:47 PM5/30/12
: The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com>
: I already showed you his bomb design...

Which looks nothing like a bomb, has imparts no relevant information
about how to build one. Doesn't even look like the reactor
you compared it to, and even if it did, it wouldn't show anybody
how a bomb could be built. Not even conceptually. Not even a little.

: Einstein would design the bomb...

if he hypotheitically had any interest in bomb design,
or possibly if his theoretical expertise was relevant to bomb design.
Which he obviously didn't, and it obviously wasn't.

See? You make things up and discuss them endlessly.
So why are you any better than scientists?

: I'm probably the only one in the world who knows this stuff!

Well, you made it up. So if, hypothetically, nobody else is a telepath
(or you keep your tinfoil hat on), and you didn't keep posting your
imaginings, nobody else would know it, and the world would be a better
place.

It isn't the things you don't know,
it's all the things you know that ain't so.

peterw...@hotmail.com

May 30, 2012, 9:50:25 PM5/30/12
On May 29, 6:35 pm, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
> In article <3fc9d7b0-1e60-489c-92a1-aa3a8bebd...@n16g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>,
> William F. Adams <willad...@aol.com> wrote:
>

> >On May 29, 4:58 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >> Jill Tarter says Sir Stephen Hawking is wrong about aliens coming to
> >attack or colonize Earth...
> > http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0529/Forget-Men-in-Black-3-Why-...
>
> >> Jill should throw Stephen down the stairs..
>
> >Possibilities:
>
> >Childhood's End
> >Boat of a Million Years
> >Footfall
> >Vilcabamba ---http://www.tor.com/stories/2010/02/vilcabamba
>
> >Given how most human first contacts went, the latter seems likeliest.
>
> >Has anyone done an aliens colonize earth 'cause they wrecked their own
> >planet story?
>
> Well, it doesn't involve colonizing earth, but there's that story
> in Analog, whereof I forget title and author, where the tagline
> is "You say you have done a bad job with your planet.  Please
> teach us to do a job that is as bad."

_No Shoulder to Cry On_ by Hank Davis.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist

Greg Goss

May 30, 2012, 11:47:21 PM5/30/12
I don't find the Firefly system believable.

anim8rFSK

May 31, 2012, 1:29:07 AM5/31/12
In article <a2o7uh...@mid.individual.net>,
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:

> anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >In article <a2muvu...@mid.individual.net>,
> > Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:

> >> Given the difficulties of interstellar colonization, it's easier to
> >> fix the damage you did, rather than move.
> >
> >Tell that to Firefly.
>
> I don't find the Firefly system believable.

That was my point. :)

The Starmaker

May 31, 2012, 2:06:31 AM5/31/12
Wayne Throop wrote:

> : The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com>
> : I already showed you his bomb design...
>
> Which looks nothing like a bomb, has imparts no relevant information
> about how to build one. Doesn't even look like the reactor
> you compared it to, and even if it did, it wouldn't show anybody
> how a bomb could be built. Not even conceptually. Not even a little.
>
> : Einstein would design the bomb...
>
> if he hypotheitically had any interest in bomb design,
> or possibly if his theoretical expertise was relevant to bomb design.
> Which he obviously didn't, and it obviously wasn't.

Do I have to *explain* everything to you?

How Einstein Built The Atomic Bomb
by the starmaker

First, he had the motive.

Then he got a partner (his name is in the diagram)
http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/Untitled-1.html

Then the Godfather of the bomb, told his second in command...his
partner, his
michael corleone...to put together a crew.

This crew consists of people with the *same* motive as The Godfather.

They all wanted to kill Germans. They all have been slighted by Germany.
They all wanted ...payback.

They call this crew....The Manhattan Project.

Everybody knows, scientists love to blow up things...

The Starmaker

Wayne Throop

May 31, 2012, 2:36:16 AM5/31/12
: The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com>
: Do I have to *explain* everything to you?

Not really. The main points are clear.
1) Einstein never did bomb design work
2) the drawings you point to aren't drawings of bomb design work
3) relativity is entirely irrelevant to bomb design

All the rest is just stuff you make up.
As you say, you're the only one that knows this stuff.
Because you made it up.

: Everybody knows, scientists love to blow up things...

There are clearly myriads of things things you know that ain't so.

Don Stockbauer

May 31, 2012, 9:17:11 AM5/31/12
Jill Tarter kicks Stephen Hawking's ass

And he's so defenceless, too. This is truly shameful.

The Starmaker

May 31, 2012, 12:58:57 PM5/31/12
He had the motive, he had the knowledge, he had the opportunity...Albert Einstein is Guilty of Murder.

What do you think..
Albert Einstein
was doing
all those years
at the patent office?

He was
thinking
learning
How to Build an Atomic Bomb.

While he was at the patent office...
he was taking ...clasess.

Do you know what those classes consist of? Bomb making!

Look it up! Look at the courses he took while working at the patent office.

Learn something..cause you don't know nuttin.

The Starmaker

The Starmaker

May 31, 2012, 1:06:09 PM5/31/12
Don Stockbauer wrote:

> Jill Tarter kicks Stephen Hawking's ass
>
> And he's so defenceless, too. This is truly shameful.

probably Jill 'feels'
that Stephen Hawkings remarks
prevented her from gettin
the *funding* she wanted.

Took the food from her mouth.

She is justified
to take him to the
edge of the stairs
and throw him down.

She even looks like Richard Windmark...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FHHJsXH3BiU#t=210s

The Starmaker

Wayne Throop

May 31, 2012, 2:02:29 PM5/31/12
: The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com>
: He had the motive, he had the knowledge, he had the opportunity...

He had a rather weak motive, had very very little relevant knowledge,
and wasn't at the scene of any of the activities for any substantial
period of time. So, more things you are making up.

Greg Goss

May 31, 2012, 4:30:18 PM5/31/12
thr...@sheol.org (Wayne Throop) wrote:

>3) relativity is entirely irrelevant to bomb design

There's a lot of stuff going on very fast for a very short period of
time. Are you sure it's irrelevant?

The Starmaker

May 31, 2012, 4:38:12 PM5/31/12
You're simply displaying to everyone...your argument from ignorance.

Wayne Throop

May 31, 2012, 4:34:53 PM5/31/12
:: 3) relativity is entirely irrelevant to bomb design

: Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org>
: There's a lot of stuff going on very fast for a very short period of
: time. Are you sure it's irrelevant?

Yes. Though it would be more cromulent to say that E=mc^2
is irrelevant to bomb design, it's still quite cromulent to say
that relativity is irrelevant, since the fast-moving-ness is only
peripherally connected to how to extract lots of energy from
a lump of fissionable material.

And Einstein had very little relevant expertise
in nucleonics or particle physics.

Will in New Haven

May 31, 2012, 4:55:43 PM5/31/12
On May 31, 4:38 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Wayne Throop wrote:
>
> > : The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com>
> > : He had the motive, he had the knowledge, he had the opportunity...
>
> > He had a rather weak motive, had very very little relevant knowledge,
> > and wasn't at the scene of any of the activities for any substantial
> > period of time.  So, more things you are making up.
>
> You're simply displaying to everyone...your argument from ignorance.

Ignorance is now failing to know, or perhaps failure to acknowledge as
true, things that you make up?

--
Will in New Haven

The Starmaker

May 31, 2012, 7:25:40 PM5/31/12
He wasn't very good at math either, what different does that make?

If he needed help with a math problem...he call somebody from his crew.

"Hey Max, you're good at math...can you help me here, I hate fuckin math!"

The Starmaker

Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater. -- Albert Einstein

I don't believe in mathematics. --Albert Einstein.

The Starmaker

May 31, 2012, 8:11:30 PM5/31/12
Let me put it this way...
No one knows how to make a pencil?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6vjrzUplWU

But it just take one person to get people together to make a pencil...or to build an atomic bomb.

How do you think wiki came about?

The Starmaker

May 31, 2012, 8:27:00 PM5/31/12
Wayne Throop wrote:

> : The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com>
> : He had the motive, he had the knowledge, he had the opportunity...
>
> He had a rather weak motive, had very very little relevant knowledge,

What? The Master of Relativity had very very little 'relevant'
knowledge? Are you stoned?

The Starmaker

May 31, 2012, 8:38:20 PM5/31/12
Einstein said use "radium" to test his ....bomb and relativity and e=mc2.

Are you in a wheel chair?...

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

May 31, 2012, 8:38:23 PM5/31/12
Very little relevant knowledge to making nuclear bombs, yes. Relativity
had very little to do with the physics and engineering of bombmaking.

Feynman, now HE knew a lot of the relevant knowledge. About pretty much
everything.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

The Starmaker

Jun 1, 2012, 2:30:33 AM6/1/12

The Starmaker

Jun 1, 2012, 2:32:03 AM6/1/12
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:

Einstein said use "radium" to test his ....bomb and relativity and
e=mc2.

Somebody is wrong here...

Don Stockbauer

Jun 1, 2012, 4:23:22 AM6/1/12
On Jun 1, 1:32 am, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:

> > > What? The Master of Relativity had very very little 'relevant'
> > > knowledge? Are you stoned?
>
> >         Very little relevant knowledge to making nuclear bombs, yes. Relativity
> > had very little to do with the physics and engineering of bombmaking.
>
> >         Feynman, now HE knew a lot of the relevant knowledge. About pretty much
> > everything.
>
> > --
> >                       Sea Wasp
> >                         /^\
> >                         ;;;
> > Website:http://www.grandcentralarena.com Blog:
> >http://seawasp.livejournal.com
>
> Einstein said use "radium" to test his ....bomb and relativity and
> e=mc2.
>
> Somebody is wrong here..

Nuclear power is no more unnatural than sailing a boat.

Wayne Throop

Jun 1, 2012, 7:11:54 AM6/1/12
:: Einstein said use "radium" to test his ....bomb
:: and relativity and e=mc2.

Nope. Since he didn't have a bomb, and the bomb that others
designed had nothing to do with radium, this is just nonsense
you just made up. With the possible exception that he might have
said that radium decay was energetic enough to test E=mc^2.
Which, of course, has nothing to do with fission, and hence
nothing to do with bombs.

:: Somebody is wrong here..

Gosh, you *think*? Well no, you don't, but yes,
"somebody is wrong here", and the smart money says it's
the one spouting incoherent nonsense, confusing radium with
fission, and repeating the claim that Einstein "had a bomb".
Which he didn't. Or implying that E=mc^2 had anything to do
with bomb design. Which it didn't.

Wayne Throop

Jun 1, 2012, 7:17:39 AM6/1/12
: The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com>
: What? The Master of Relativity had very very little 'relevant'
: knowledge?

Relevant to bomb design. Correct. E=mc^2 is essentially
useless in designing fission weapons.

: Are you stoned?

I'm aware that there's a popular misconception that E=mc^2
has something to with the design of fission weapons.
One doesn't need to be stoned to be aware that it *is*,
rather obviously, incorrect.

The Starmaker

Jun 1, 2012, 12:52:05 PM6/1/12
The Starmaker wrote:

> Don Stockbauer wrote:
> >
> > Jill Tarter kicks Stephen Hawking's ass
> >
> > And he's so defenceless, too. This is truly shameful.
>
> probably Jill 'feels'
> that Stephen Hawkings remarks
> prevented her from gettin
> the *funding* she wanted.

There could possibly be only *one* reason...
why the government stop funding S.E.T.I.

They don't want aliens coming here...eating people.

Greg Goss

Jun 1, 2012, 2:52:18 PM6/1/12
thr...@sheol.org (Wayne Throop) wrote:

>:: Einstein said use "radium" to test his ....bomb
>:: and relativity and e=mc2.
>
>Nope. Since he didn't have a bomb, and the bomb that others
>designed had nothing to do with radium, this is just nonsense
>you just made up. With the possible exception that he might have
>said that radium decay was energetic enough to test E=mc^2.
>Which, of course, has nothing to do with fission, and hence
>nothing to do with bombs.

Well, the energy released is due to fission. I'm not sure what the
knowledge path was to the idea of INDUCED fission, but radium
demonstrated that there was surplus energy in the atom.

Charles Bishop

Jun 1, 2012, 5:37:05 PM6/1/12
OR, the aliens are already here and they don't want us to discover
communications between them and their mothership/homeworld.

oooh, oooh, oooh, the aliens are already here and *are* the government, &c.

charles, would explain so much, bishop

The Starmaker

Jun 1, 2012, 4:59:14 PM6/1/12
Have you heard that song the aliens from another planet are singing now?

We are here
and
you are there

(i don't know how the rest goes)
but it is the number one hit in the universe...

The Starmaker

James Silverton

Jun 1, 2012, 5:10:00 PM6/1/12
They probably have a version of the Hilaire Belloc 19th century poem
that went:

"Whatever happens we have got,
The Maxim gun, and they have not".

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

The Starmaker

Jun 1, 2012, 5:18:29 PM6/1/12
Do you know what kind of ...panic, we would have
here if the president anounced the truth...that
they don't want to fund S.E.T.I. because the aliens
would just come here to eat everybody up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NIufLRpJYnI#t=22s

There is simply no logical reason for aliens from another planet to come here except to eat people.

The Starmaker

tphile2

Jun 1, 2012, 6:15:40 PM6/1/12
On Jun 1, 4:18 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> The Starmaker wrote:
>
> > The Starmaker wrote:

> > > probably Jill 'feels'
> > > that Stephen Hawkings remarks
> > > prevented her from gettin
> > > the *funding* she wanted.
>
> > There could possibly be only *one* reason...
> > why the government stop funding S.E.T.I.
>
> > They don't want aliens coming here...eating people.
>
> Do you know what kind of ...panic, we would have
> here if the president anounced the truth...that
> they don't want to fund S.E.T.I. because the aliens
> would just come here to eat everybody up.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NIufLRpJYnI#...
>
> There is simply no logical reason for aliens from another planet to come here except to eat people.
>
> The Starmaker

You are assuming that they would or even could eat us. It is quite
possible and more likely that human biology is different enough from
alien to be toxic or even fatal to them and or us. or to be totally
benign and of no nutritional value. They are more likely interested
in taking over our resources and real estate. Using us as slave labor,
pets or consider us as vermin to be exterminated. We have plenty of
real life examples of that in our own history and biology/environment.

Androcles

Jun 1, 2012, 6:35:02 PM6/1/12

"tphile2" <tph...@cableone.net> wrote in message
You are overlooking the fact that spiders, whales and bacteria
have no interest in humanity whatsoever (except perhaps evasion).
There are enough "alien" lifeforms on this planet to study without
all your sci-fi monsters from Hollywood movies.

Leif Roar Moldskred

Jun 1, 2012, 6:39:08 PM6/1/12
In rec.arts.sf.written tphile2 <tph...@cableone.net> wrote:

> You are assuming that they would or even could eat us. It is quite
> possible and more likely that human biology is different enough from
> alien to be toxic or even fatal to them and or us. or to be totally
> benign and of no nutritional value.

Humans as the perfect diet food? Low carb, no calories.

--
Leif Roar Moldskred

The Starmaker

Jun 1, 2012, 7:52:42 PM6/1/12
Okay, you invite the alien to your house, if he gets hungry..ask him "What do you want to eat?"
He's going to look at you the way a cat looks at a mouse..

tphile2

Jun 2, 2012, 3:48:01 AM6/2/12
On Jun 1, 6:52 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Androcles wrote:
>
> > "tphile2" <tphi...@cableone.net> wrote in message
Not likely because aliens will bring their own food supplies and stuff
that they know is safe to use. and wear space suits until there has
been complete testing of everything in the alien environment to ensure
safety. Same as we would do when we make first contact with another
alien environment..
That was even a major priority of NASA and the Apollo Program.

The Starmaker

Jun 2, 2012, 2:15:06 PM6/2/12
Okay, maybe they will smell you first..

The Starmaker

Jun 2, 2012, 6:39:28 PM6/2/12
The Starmaker wrote:

> Wayne Throop wrote:
> >
> > : The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com>
> > : I already showed you his bomb design...
> >
> > Which looks nothing like a bomb, has imparts no relevant information
> > about how to build one. Doesn't even look like the reactor
> > you compared it to, and even if it did, it wouldn't show anybody
> > how a bomb could be built. Not even conceptually. Not even a little.
> >
> > : Einstein would design the bomb...
> >
> > if he hypotheitically had any interest in bomb design,
> > or possibly if his theoretical expertise was relevant to bomb design.
> > Which he obviously didn't, and it obviously wasn't.
>
> Do I have to *explain* everything to you?
>
> How Einstein Built The Atomic Bomb
> by the starmaker
>
> First, he had the motive.
>
> Then he got a partner (his name is in the diagram)
> http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/Untitled-1.html
>
> Then the Godfather of the bomb, told his second in command...his
> partner, his
> michael corleone...to put together a crew.
>
> This crew consists of people with the *same* motive as The Godfather.
>
> They all wanted to kill Germans. They all have been slighted by Germany.
> They all wanted ...payback.
>
> They call this crew....The Manhattan Project.
>
> Everybody knows, scientists love to blow up things...
>
> The Starmaker

Furthermore....it is a documented fact, that Einstein crew (the
Manhattan Project) were already
in the process of building an atomic bomb, even before Albert Einstein
wrote that first letter to Roosevelt....they just
needed as they say in show business...completion money.

Will in New Haven

Jun 2, 2012, 9:25:45 PM6/2/12
On Jun 2, 6:39 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> The Starmaker wrote:
>
> > Wayne Throop wrote:
>
> > > : The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com>
Where's the documentation?

The Starmaker

Jun 3, 2012, 12:35:40 AM6/3/12
It's *all* in his first letter *he* wrote to Roosevelt:
http://hypertextbook.com/eworld/einstein.shtml

on page two:

"In view of the situation you may think it desirable to have more

permanent contact maintained between the Administration and the group

of physicists working on chain reactions in America."

"physicists working on chain reactions in America."

Who else are the
"physicists"
working on
"chain reactions"....the atomb bomb, his crew...his goodfellas..friends of friends.

Yes, it's true...the Germans were building an atomic bomb...the name of one of those Germans
building the atomic bomb is Herr Albert Einstein.

The Starmaker

The Starmaker

Jun 3, 2012, 1:22:23 AM6/3/12
The Starmaker wrote:

> Everybody knows, scientists love to blow up things...

http://media-cache-lt0.pinterest.com/upload/15551561183062908_YNFPA00Y_f.jpg

http://gombessa.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/u238atomic.jpg

http://gombessa.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/atomic.jpg

Do you know who that other guy is?
http://media-cache3.pinterest.com/upload/15551561182753358_tSYqNXN5_f.jpg

"father of the atomic bomb"
"I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

Who is the older guy...his grandfather...?
http://media-cache3.pinterest.com/upload/15551561182753358_tSYqNXN5_f.jpg

grandfather of the atomic bomb.

The Starmaker

http://pinterest.com/christih/atomic-frenzy/

Rob Cypher

Jun 3, 2012, 5:44:28 AM6/3/12
On Tue, 29 May 2012 13:58:29 -0700, The Starmaker
<star...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Jill Tarter says Sir Stephen Hawking is wrong about aliens coming to attack or colonize Earth...
>http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0529/Forget-Men-in-Black-3-Why-aliens-won-t-attack-Earth
>

>Jill should throw Stephen down the stairs..
>

>The Starmaker

lol, are all of you "true believers" in the UFO cults austitic trolls
or something?

Charles Bishop

Jun 3, 2012, 1:18:44 PM6/3/12
In article
<88ed492a-247b-4f4c...@h41g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
tphile2 <tph...@cableone.net> wrote:

>On Jun 1, 4:18=A0pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> The Starmaker wrote:

>> > There could possibly be only *one* reason...
>> > why the government stop funding S.E.T.I.
>>
>> > They don't want aliens coming here...eating people.
>>
>> Do you know what kind of ...panic, we would have
>> here if the president anounced the truth...that
>> they don't want to fund S.E.T.I. because the aliens
>> would just come here to eat everybody up.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=3Dplayer_detailpage&v=3DNIufLRpJYnI#=
>>
>> There is simply no logical reason for aliens from another planet to come =
>here except to eat people.
>>
>> The Starmaker
>
>You are assuming that they would or even could eat us. It is quite
>possible and more likely that human biology is different enough from
>alien to be toxic or even fatal to them and or us. or to be totally
>benign and of no nutritional value. They are more likely interested
>in taking over our resources and real estate. Using us as slave labor,
>pets or consider us as vermin to be exterminated. We have plenty of
>real life examples of that in our own history and biology/environment.

I had always assumed, perhaps naively, that peeps with the technology to
cross space wouldn't need slave labor. But, as you mention, from our
history, some had the technology to cross "unknown" seas, and still
enslaved the local population. Is it that the aliens technology would be
so far advanced that slave labor wouldn't be economic, or that no matter
how advanced the technology, slave labor could be profitable to them?

--
charles

tphile2

Jun 3, 2012, 2:34:12 PM6/3/12
On Jun 3, 12:18 pm, ctbis...@earthlink.net (Charles Bishop) wrote:
> In article
> <88ed492a-247b-4f4c-a938-df1b76753...@h41g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
>

> tphile2 <tphi...@cableone.net> wrote:

> >> Do you know what kind of ...panic, we would have
> >> here if the president anounced the truth...that
> >> they don't want to fund S.E.T.I. because the aliens
> >> would just come here to eat everybody up.
>
> >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=3Dplayer_detailpage&v=3DNIufLRpJ...
>
> >> There is simply no logical reason for aliens from another planet to come =
> >here except to eat people.
>
> >> The Starmaker
>
> >You are assuming that they would or even could eat us.  It is quite
> >possible and more likely that human biology is different enough from
> >alien to be toxic or even fatal to them and or us.  or to be totally
> >benign and of no nutritional value.  They are more likely interested
> >in taking over our resources and real estate. Using us as slave labor,
> >pets or consider us as vermin to be exterminated.   We have plenty of
> >real life examples of that in our own history and biology/environment.
>
> I had always assumed, perhaps naively, that peeps with the technology to
> cross space wouldn't need slave labor. But, as you mention, from our
> history, some had the technology to cross "unknown" seas, and still
> enslaved the local population. Is it that the aliens technology would be
> so far advanced that slave labor wouldn't be economic, or that no matter
> how advanced the technology, slave labor could be profitable to them?
>
> --
> charles

Slavery could be profitable or desired even with advanced technology.
The cotton gin did that and look how industry gets moved to third
world countries with cheap labor, child labor and the equivalent of
slave labor today.
and with an alien race slavery could include, making us pets, lab test
animals, food and fertilizer, or we are vermin to be exterminated. It
all depends on their own motives, ethics and needs. Naturally their
own needs and priorites come first and we come second. Look at what
happened with North America. We started out being nice to the natives
but eventually exterminated them if they had something we wanted or
they got in the way. Aliens will take what they want and need. and
they will shape the world to their wishes. For example wiping out
life on australia to build a space craft parling lot or turning the
Grand Canyon into a garbage dump.
Just because aliens have advanced technology does not mean they will
be benign or advanced ethically.
Even if we are the aliens coming to another world. Avatar and War of
the Worlds for example. or The Legacy of Heorot.

The Starmaker

Jun 3, 2012, 4:34:23 PM6/3/12
wiki uses slave labor...

colleges are slave making machines

girls are a slave in the kitichen

somebody gots to cook the people..

but..but..
the majority of people on earth are eaten by other people..slavery is
another form
of eating people...alive.

ever heard the joke of
The pig with the wooden leg by Matt Simerson

David DeLaney

Jun 3, 2012, 5:09:51 PM6/3/12
Charles Bishop <ctbi...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>I had always assumed, perhaps naively, that peeps with the technology to
>cross space wouldn't need slave labor. But, as you mention, from our
>history, some had the technology to cross "unknown" seas, and still
>enslaved the local population. Is it that the aliens technology would be
>so far advanced that slave labor wouldn't be economic, or that no matter
>how advanced the technology, slave labor could be profitable to them?

Try more on the order of "it would take enough time and effort to get mass
quantities of the advanced technology, enough to truly support the colony in
the post-scarcity regime they had been accustomed to (modulo recycling) on
their starships, up and running that enslaving the locals to help with the
initial mass-quantities-gathering-and-real-food-raising would make more sense"?

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

The Starmaker

Jun 3, 2012, 6:55:16 PM6/3/12

Joy Beeson

Jun 3, 2012, 8:35:06 PM6/3/12
On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 09:18:44 -0800, ctbi...@earthlink.net (Charles
Bishop) wrote:

> Is it that the aliens technology would be
> so far advanced that slave labor wouldn't be economic, or that no matter
> how advanced the technology, slave labor could be profitable to them?

Slave-keeping doesn't need to be profitable, or even harmless to the
slave owners, to be enthusiastically adopted.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

The Starmaker

Jun 4, 2012, 12:16:55 PM6/4/12
The Starmaker wrote:

> The Starmaker wrote:
> >
> > The Starmaker wrote:
> >

> > > Everybody knows, scientists love to blow up things...
> >
> > http://media-cache-lt0.pinterest.com/upload/15551561183062908_YNFPA00Y_f.jpg
> >
> > http://gombessa.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/u238atomic.jpg
> >
> > http://gombessa.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/atomic.jpg
> >
> > Do you know who that other guy is?
> > http://media-cache3.pinterest.com/upload/15551561182753358_tSYqNXN5_f.jpg
> >
> > "father of the atomic bomb"
> > "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
> >
> > Who is the older guy...his grandfather...?
> > http://media-cache3.pinterest.com/upload/15551561182753358_tSYqNXN5_f.jpg
> >
> > grandfather of the atomic bomb.
> >
> > The Starmaker
> >
> > http://pinterest.com/christih/atomic-frenzy/
>
> just a note...
>
> the Heat...
>
> numbered 36
> http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/Lpage1.jpg
> http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/Untitled-1.html
>
> the Heat is coming from...The Nuclear Reactor numbered 28., turns water into steam.
> http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/AtomReactorCutawayLarge-aaa.jpg

everytime you guys go build a atomic bomb, you need to send a check to
Albert Einstein..cause you're
infringing on his patent.

Quadibloc

Jun 4, 2012, 1:14:24 PM6/4/12
On Jun 4, 10:16 am, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> everytime you guys go build a atomic bomb, you need to send a check to
> Albert Einstein..cause you're
> infringing on his patent.

Which one, the one for a refrigerator?

John Savard

Wayne Throop

Jun 4, 2012, 1:50:36 PM6/4/12
: The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com>
: everytime you guys go build a atomic bomb, you need to send a check to
: Albert Einstein..cause you're infringing on his patent.

Only if both a) you are building a neutronic reactor", and more
importantly b) you are stupid enough not to be able to tell there
are no control rods, nor a fissile material in the Einstein/Szilard
patent for a refrigerator.

Yes, yes, everybody knows you pretend to scoff that it *is* a
refrigerator, but a series of pipes and reservoirs not even remotely
configured like the drawing you compare it to means that's all
you got: all scoff, and no facts.

Plus, of course, even that has nothing to do with a bomb; a
"neutronic reactor" is not a bomb, so a patent for something like it
is not involved in building a bomb at all. Not even a little.

All of which you know, of course. You just like to pretend you don't.

Charles Bishop

Jun 4, 2012, 3:02:14 PM6/4/12
In article <ej0os7phuphvq0ruu...@4ax.com>, Joy Beeson
<jbe...@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 09:18:44 -0800, ctbi...@earthlink.net (Charles
>Bishop) wrote:
>
>> Is it that the aliens technology would be
>> so far advanced that slave labor wouldn't be economic, or that no matter
>> how advanced the technology, slave labor could be profitable to them?
>
>Slave-keeping doesn't need to be profitable, or even harmless to the
>slave owners, to be enthusiastically adopted.

If a slave costs more to keep than he is worth, what's the use in keeping one?

--
charles

Charles Bishop

Jun 4, 2012, 3:10:50 PM6/4/12
In article <slrnjsnjd...@gatekeeper.vic.com>, d...@vic.com wrote:

>Charles Bishop <ctbi...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>I had always assumed, perhaps naively, that peeps with the technology to
>>cross space wouldn't need slave labor. But, as you mention, from our
>>history, some had the technology to cross "unknown" seas, and still
>>enslaved the local population. Is it that the aliens technology would be
>>so far advanced that slave labor wouldn't be economic, or that no matter
>>how advanced the technology, slave labor could be profitable to them?
>
>Try more on the order of "it would take enough time and effort to get mass
>quantities of the advanced technology, enough to truly support the colony in
>the post-scarcity regime they had been accustomed to (modulo recycling) on
>their starships, up and running that enslaving the locals to help with the
>initial mass-quantities-gathering-and-real-food-raising would make more sense"?

It does somewhat. From human experience it does seem that the new people
showing up at the less advanced people's doorstep seem to use the unequal
status to their advantage. I was wondering if trading beads, etc. might be
an option.

Also, if the fact that they can do FTL or a workaround might mean there
was no need to pillage. Of course the ships could be generation ships.

--
chalres

The Starmaker

Jun 4, 2012, 3:21:59 PM6/4/12
First of all...Einstein doesn't like to lie.

He wrote on his diagram, REFRIGERATION, not 'refrigerator'.

It's a process to cool down the nuclear reactor from a meltdown...ask the japanesee.

Second of all...you see the GE comic book..
http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/AtomReactorCutawayLarge-aaa.jpg

you see the "Heat Exchanger"
http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/AtomReactorCutawayLarge-aaa.jpg

number 28 is Einstien's "Heat Exchanger"!
http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/Untitled-1.html
http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/1-s2.0-S0172219005001742-gr1.jpg

Any clear minded person can see...it's Einstein's BOMB.

You don't have to be a rockit scientist to figure that out...

The Starmaker

William December Starr

Jun 4, 2012, 3:22:50 PM6/4/12
In article <ctbishop-040...@global-66-81-254-242.dialup.o1.com>,
ctbi...@earthlink.net (Charles Bishop) said:

> Joy Beeson <jbe...@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Slave-keeping doesn't need to be profitable, or even harmless to
>> the slave owners, to be enthusiastically adopted.
>
> If a slave costs more to keep than he is worth, what's the use in
> keeping one?

'Cause it's *fun*!

(Also, people are stupid.)

-- wds

Big Dog

Jun 4, 2012, 3:33:29 PM6/4/12
On Jun 4, 2:21 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> First of all...Einstein doesn't like to lie.
>
> He wrote on his diagram, REFRIGERATION, not 'refrigerator'.
>
> It's a process to cool down the nuclear reactor from a meltdown...ask the japanesee.
>
> Second of all...you see the GE comic book..http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/AtomReactorCuta...
>
> you see the "Heat Exchanger"http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/AtomReactorCuta...
>
> number 28 is Einstien's "Heat Exchanger"!http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/Untitled-1.htmlhttp://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/1-s2.0-S0172219...
>
> Any clear minded person can see...it's Einstein's BOMB.
>
> You don't have to be a rockit scientist to figure that out...

Starmaker, my ass. You're just a poo-flinger.

Back in '94 there was a community hearing in Waxahachie about the
plans for the Superconducting Super Collider. A dear, middle-aged lady
stood up and said that it was widely known that the superconducting
magnets were so powerful that any teenage child walking on the surface
a couple hundred feet above the magnets would have their dental braces
pull straight down to the ground. Bedlam ensued. Then someone asked
her who told her that, and she pointed to another man in the audience
who was a local real estate developer. He admitted right there in the
town hall meeting that he felt in his right to make up any bullshit
story he wanted to, to protect his interests. If people believed him,
it wasn't his problem. If they didn't, then he'd make up some other
bullshit story until they did.

He is and was despicable. Poo-flinger, you make that guy look like
Gandhi.

The Starmaker

Jun 4, 2012, 3:38:08 PM6/4/12
First of all...Einstein doesn't like to lie.

He wrote on his diagram, REFRIGERATION, not 'refrigerator'.

It's a process to cool down the nuclear reactor from a meltdown...ask the japanesee.

Second of all...you see the GE comic book..
http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/AtomReactorCutawayLarge-aaa.jpg

you see the "Heat Exchanger"
**********Here is a close-up view of what number 28 would look like*******
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6896041-0-large.jpg

it is what is causing the heat, it's the nuclear reactor, contains u-235 and other bomb making stuff...

Any clear minded person can see...it's Einstein's BOMB.

You don't have to be a rockit scientist to figure that out...

The Starmaker

Ask the Iranians....

William December Starr

Jun 4, 2012, 4:03:08 PM6/4/12
In article <b286c691-5226-4bc2...@o17g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Big Dog <big.fi...@gmail.com> said:

> The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>> Any clear minded person can see...it's Einstein's BOMB.
>>
>> You don't have to be a rockit scientist to figure that out...
>
> Starmaker, my ass. You're just a poo-flinger.

"The Starmaker" is a fictional character played online by a troll.

-- wds

Wayne Throop

Jun 4, 2012, 4:17:05 PM6/4/12
: The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com>
: Any clear minded person can see...it's Einstein's BOMB.
: You don't have to be a rockit scientist to figure that out...

Correct. You have to be either dishonest, insane, or malicious.

: It's a process to cool down the nuclear reactor from a meltdown...

Even if it were, it has nothing to do with bomb design. Which you knew.

The Starmaker

Jun 4, 2012, 5:48:43 PM6/4/12
"bomb design" desgined to make an atom bomb. Design, a plan, an intention..to build the atomic bomb.

Is English your third language? What's your first language, Braile?

How do i type atomb bomb in braile?
http://www.accessipedia.info/en/materials/bfwd/images/en/braille_alphabet.jpg

.

.
. .
.

.
.
.

..
.

.
.

.
.
.

..
.

.
.

The Starmaker

The Starmaker

Jun 4, 2012, 5:54:02 PM6/4/12
Big Dog wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2:21 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > First of all...Einstein doesn't like to lie.
> >
> > He wrote on his diagram, REFRIGERATION, not 'refrigerator'.
> >
> > It's a process to cool down the nuclear reactor from a meltdown...ask the japanesee.
> >
> > Second of all...you see the GE comic book..http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/AtomReactorCuta...
> >
> > you see the "Heat Exchanger"http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/AtomReactorCuta...
> >
> > number 28 is Einstien's "Heat Exchanger"!http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/Untitled-1.htmlhttp://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-th
> >
> > Any clear minded person can see...it's Einstein's BOMB.
> >
> > You don't have to be a rockit scientist to figure that out...
>
> Starmaker, my ass. You're just a poo-flinger.
>
> Back in '94 there was a community hearing in Waxahachie about the
> plans for the Superconducting Super Collider. A dear, middle-aged lady
> stood up and said that it was widely known that the superconducting
> magnets were so powerful that any teenage child walking on the surface
> a couple hundred feet above the magnets would have their dental braces
> pull straight down to the ground. Bedlam ensued. Then someone asked
> her who told her that, and she pointed to another man in the audience
> who was a local real estate developer. He admitted right there in the
> town hall meeting that he felt in his right to make up any bullshit
> story he wanted to, to protect his interests. If people believed him,
> it wasn't his problem. If they didn't, then he'd make up some other
> bullshit story until they did.
>
> He is and was despicable. Poo-flinger, you make that guy look like
> Gandhi.

Heat Exchange
http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/1-s2.0-S0172219005001742-gr1.jpg
http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/Lpage1.jpg
http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/AtomReactorCutawayLarge-aaa.jpg

What specific part of my 'Einstein-is-the-bomb' is incorrect, inaccurate or untrue...you big doggie dummie?

Wayne Throop

Jun 4, 2012, 6:02:56 PM6/4/12
: The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com>
: "bomb design" desgined to make an atom bomb. Design, a plan, an
: intention..to build the atomic bomb.

And even by your own worst possible interpreation, it wasn't designed
to make "an atom bomb", or to build "the atomic bomb". It was designed
to cool something. According to you, with no actual evidence that you
are right, a reactor. A reactor is not a bomb. Apparently, logic is
not your strong suit.

Further, of course, the "neutronic reactor" you claim it would be
used to cool didn't have or need active cooling.

: Is English your third language?

First, actually. Where do honesty and sanity come in your list of priorities?
Are they even in the top 10?

David DeLaney

Jun 4, 2012, 6:37:34 PM6/4/12
Charles Bishop <ctbi...@earthlink.net> wrote:
><jbe...@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>>Slave-keeping doesn't need to be profitable, or even harmless to the
>>slave owners, to be enthusiastically adopted.
>
>If a slave costs more to keep than he is worth, what's the use in keeping one?

Sunk costs fallacy, for one.

Big Dog

Jun 4, 2012, 6:35:38 PM6/4/12
On Jun 4, 4:54 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Heat Exchangehttp://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/1-s2.0-S0172219...http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/Lpage1.jpghttp://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/Einstein-is-the-bomb/AtomReactorCuta...
>
> What specific part of my 'Einstein-is-the-bomb' is incorrect, inaccurate or untrue...you big doggie dummie?

All of it. And you know it. Poo-flinger. Deliberate. Unrepentant. Poo-
flinger.
You're not pond scum. You're what pond scum becomes when it sinks to
the bottom of the pond and bottom-feeders won't touch you.
It is loading more messages.