What Did You Watch? 2018-04-14 (Saturday)

Ubiquitous

Apr 15, 2018, 7:25:14 AM4/15/18
I watched:

Coverage of the bombing of Syria by different sources. Predictly, the
liberal media whined about it this time yet did not question their
"Russian collusion" narrative nonsense. Yeah, whatever.

THE WILD WILD WEST:
"The Night of the Glowing Corpse". Trying to recover stolen radioactive
material, West follows his only clue -- a set of fingerprints found on
the ankle of a pretty secretary.

THE CARBONA EFFECT:
Basicaly, Candid Camera with a magician. In this ep, he pretended to be
a dog groomer who had a dog appear to put on a costume inside a dog
house and another in which he brushed a dog to death.

MCGIVER:
I only half watched this, but I think it was a cross-over with an NCIS
spinoff featuring George from the original and some sort of "EMP
Device" that they lost in the previous ep. So the woman whose fault it
was wasn't fired for her bungling and she was moping and whining about
it but luckily their dwarf boss with hair to her waist picked up the
trail so they flew off to South Korea and ended up hijacking Ed Asner's
plane (rolling eyes here at the dialog) in order to follow the bad
guy's escape plane to Japan or Hong Kong or Singapore, where it was
used to disable the alarms on someone's building so he could steal
something or other. My buffalo garlic parmesian wings were more
interesting than this show.

What did you watch?

Obveeus

Apr 15, 2018, 7:44:14 AM4/15/18

I watched:

LOST IN SPACE: The first 5 episodes of the new Netflix series. The
first episode was very good in terms of creating suspense and a feeling
of peril for the crew. After that, the next few episodes got bogged
down a bit with a PTSD subplot and some marital friction plot, but the
first half of the season remained entertaining and worth watching.
There is some really stupid stuff (like water freezing solid in mere
seconds while people are sitting around in jackets that are not even
zipped up). Through 5 episodes, I didn't see/catch the part where they
supposedly know where they are. All I caught was that they know they
aren't in the Milkyway anymore. They also seem to spend a lot of time
still talking as if this trip through the vortex (black hole / whatever)
is just a minor bump in the road towards their intended destination.
Their assumption that they can get back seems entirely unwarranted. So
far, I like the idea that the group is bigger than on the original series.

RAMPAGE: A 2018 film about monsters that climb buildings based upon the
video game from the 1980s. Dwayne Johnson stars as an animal wrangler of
sorts who's favorite animal is suddenly starting to act strange. On the
good side: This film had way more of a plot than I was expecting. This
film manages to keep the action going and entertaining from start to
finish. The effects are mostly good, though some of the action is
definitely enhanced with shakey-cam and lots of quick cuts. The writers
managed to do a pretty good job of making the video game plot into
something logical on screen. On the bad side: The science is purely
nonsense and there are all kinds of logistical/timing problems. At one
point, an ape breaks out of a cage and LAPD manages to be on scene with
a helicopter and a sniper rifle loaded with tranquilizers in under 1
minute. Meanwhile, the military can't figure out how to do anything
useful for hours on end...and when they do try, they either portray the
military as a group of people with only small arms capabilities or a
group of people that have to wipe out half a city because it is the only
weapon option they have. Radio signals work from one tower all the way
from Wyoming to Chicago to the Bayou. Speaking of Wyoming...and
Colorado...and South Dakota...the three states are not equivalent to
Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey when it comes to commute
distances/time. Sadly, they couldn't capture an ending that involved
the creatures turning into tiny, naked, humans and scooting away
embarrassed. They also didn't do a very good job of capturing the video
game idea that knocking down buildings and eating people is the whole
point of the game. On the take your pick side: The good guys are good
and the bad guys are bad and the film doesn't require a whole lot of
deductive skills to figure out which is which. Everyone plays their
role as needed to keep the plot moving. It felt like the first part of
the film was from a different script, then new people took over, got rid
of nearly every character, and started again with a new story. The
ending, while certainly complete, also opens itself up to a sequel if
this one does well in the theaters.

What did you watch?

Arthur Lipscomb

Apr 15, 2018, 10:50:50 AM4/15/18
On 4/15/2018 4:44 AM, Obveeus wrote:

> I watched:
>
> LOST IN SPACE:  The first 5 episodes of the new Netflix series.

I watched episodes 2 and 3.
I also noticed it seemed like two different movies were made and
stitched together. I suspect you're familiarity with the game added a
bit of nostalgia which helped you to enjoin the movie a bit more than I
did. I think I might have played the game once or twice in my entire life.

> What did you watch?

SNL - John Mulaney, who I never heard of before, hosts a so-so episode.

Ant-Man (3D blu-ray) Paul Rudd stars as a small time criminal with a
heart of gold who is given a suit which allows him to fight crime by
shrinking. I think I might have liked this a lot more than last time I
watched it. It was just a lot of fun.

Captain America: Civil War (3D blu-ray) When the world finally gets fed
up with getting caught in the Avengers collateral damage the UN demands
the Avengers submit to global authority. This divides the team between
those led by Iron Man who think they need limitations and those led by
Captain America who think they should be autonomous. Things between the
two sides are pushed to extremes thanks to a manhunt for Captain's best
friend (Bucky AKA The Winter Soldier) whose wanted for bombing a UN
meeting which also kills Black Panther's father. Still one of my favorites.

Phantom Thread (Netflix rental) - Daniel Day-Lewis stars in the latest
Paul Thomas Anderson movie as a dress maker in the 1950sd with a bad
attitude. He falls for a waitress then is mean to her. This was one of
two Best Picture nominees I skipped in the theater. I was hoping given
the lead, director and critical acclaim this would be a good movie. My
hopes were crushed. I really, really do *not* understand all the love
this movie received. Did the people who praised it actually watch it?
Just because a movie stars Daniel Day-Lewis and is directed by Paul
Thomas Anderson doesn't mean it's great or even good.

BTR1701

Apr 15, 2018, 1:49:32 PM4/15/18
In article <pavos6$6tn$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> Captain America: Civil War (3D blu-ray) When the world finally gets fed
> up with getting caught in the Avengers collateral damage the UN demands
> the Avengers submit to global authority.

I just watched this again, too, and the scene where John Hurt sits them
all down and lectures them always angers me, particularly when he
focuses on what happened in New York.

Excuse me? How is *any* of that damage the fault of the Avengers? If
they hadn't been there, the city literally would have been completely
destroyed by the aliens (as well as the rest of the earth, eventually)
and when Cap weakly tries to make that important point, Hurt responds
with "But at what cost?"

Excuse me, motherfucker? I know you didn't just say that.

Wasn't is you assholes in the government that launched a fucking *nuke*
at Manhattan in response to the invasion? The only reason New York is
still standing and isn't a radioactive slag heap is that we took the
time-- in the middle of a pitched battle-- to *also* stop you assholes
from killing millions of innocent people.

That whole scene just pisses me off, both for Hurt's hypocritical
arrogance and for the way the team just sat there and took it rather
than pointing out the gaping holes in his bullshit.

Ian J. Ball

Apr 15, 2018, 1:58:33 PM4/15/18
On 2018-04-15 11:44:14 +0000, Obveeus said:

> What did you watch?

Romeo & Juliet (2013 version) (HBO Signature) - Paul Giamatti once
again plays a villain - here, he plays what may be the most villanous
character in all of literature(!): a misguided "friar" who foolishly
decides to help "teen love" along with subterfuge, and a potion, and
ends up getting *multiple* people unnecessarily killed, including the
two teens... Jerk!! (The moral of this story?: NEVER help "teen love"
along, or it will end in disaster! and murder!!)
I found the casting of this one interesting - a quite young Hailee
Steinfeld played Juliet, the (now disgraced?...) Ed Westwick played the
villanous Tybalt, and they had Stellan Skarsgård play Prince Escalus of
Verona.
Watching this, it amused me how many liberties ABC's "Still
Star-Crossed" took with the material: for example, Benvolio seems to be
a young teen in the play (not so in the ABC series!!), and there's
nothing about Escalus having a sister(!!) (and Escalus is quite a bit
younger in the ABC series), etc. Also, it's interesting how Lord and
Lady Montague (and Rosaline) seem like afterthoughts in the play - they
are, of course, much more prominent in the ABC series (Lord Montague
getting the "Anthony Head treatment" in the TV series, after all!!...).

Taken(, brah!) (OnDemand) - "All About Eve" (ep. #2.10). Gosh, did
anyone *NOT* see the "twist" coming where it turned out that "Tickles"
Nichols was EVOL!!1!?!! Anyway, luckily, she survives the episode
(uncaptured), and looks like she may be set up as a recurring (or at
least a "return engagement") "villain" for our heroes(tm) to take on.

Once Upon a Time (OnDemand) - "Sisterhood" (ep. #7.15). OK, it turns
out, this was a key episode, and the next two episodes I've watched
after this one don't make as much sense without seeing this episode...
Anyway, we get more background on Drizella (Adelaide Kane), and what
happened to Gretel (Sara Canning) - ironic that Hansel/Jack managed to
*fail to kill* the person directly repsonisble for his sister's
death/murder!! Unfortunately, though, this episode ties up Drizella's,
and Anastasia's (and Gothel's?...) characters' storyarcs, and they were
by far the most interesting part of season #7.
I'm not expecting to care much about the rest of season #7 without
Adelaide Kane and Gabrielle Anwar... >:/

Golf - We're back to Hilton Head, SC (a place I like quite a bit!!)
Somewhere in the middle of Day 3 of this tournament, somebody had the
bright idea of having a new 747 (I think they said it was the "10
series"?...) fly over the tournament while doing some "trick" flying
(no "barrel rolls", but they seemed only a couple of steps away from
that!!) while only about 1,000 feet off the ground - this seems like a
seriously stupid idea, that's begging for a crash into the golf course
one of these years!!
Anyway, I think Ian Poulter is leading, once again! (after winning 2
weeks ago, but after tanking at the Masters last week!).

Famous in Love (recorded) - "Totes on a Scandal" (ep. #2.3). I thought
this episode was mostly better than the 2-hour season premiere. Paige
and Rainer are back working on the set of "Locked" - and we get some
good "filming a film within a TV show" here - but Rainer is not 100%,
with all his distractions (and his g.f. played by Danielle Campbell is
sticking on him like glue!). Later, though, both Jake and Campbell's
character don't like what they see between Paige and Rainer.
Meanwhile, EVOL!! Vanessa (A.) Williams (who plays Tangy's mother,
and Alexis' reality TV show producer) releases the footage about Nina's
and Jordan's affair, after tricking Tangy into signing a "release" for
the footage. So the s*** hits the fan for Jordan and Nina. Tangy looks
like she's signed up for a production deal with Pablo Money (Romeo
Miller). And Cassie gets cast in a promient role in a horror film
directed by a (famous) slightly crazy(!!) horror movie director.

A Dangerous Date (LMN) - This was OK. The problem was they played David
Chokachi's character as *way too think* - I mean, Jillian Murray's
character loudly radiates "I AM COMPLETELY CRAZY!!" from the very
beginning yet Chokachi's character is *completely oblivious*!! Not so
Chokachi's daughter, played by Brianna Joy Chomer (who currently sports
dark hair (and looks a lot like a taller Jessica Lowndes now!!), after
being a blonde in "Stalked by My Doctor"...), who is quickly on to
Murray's character's "cray-cray"... At the end, you think Chomer's
character has killed Murray's, but... nope! the ending is basically
beginning for a sequel once Murray's character escapes from the max.
security loony bin she's in!

Deadly Exchange (LMN) - I watched this flick again, afterward, 'cos I
like Valentina Novakovic who played the crazy, deadly (redheaded!)
exchange student in this. (And, Cynthia Watros as the suspicious police
detective!!) Like "Dangerous Date", the ending of this one almost begs
for a sequel with Novakovic's character...

Obveeus

Apr 15, 2018, 4:15:10 PM4/15/18

On 4/15/2018 1:58 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

> Golf - We're back to Hilton Head, SC (a place I like quite a bit!!)
> Somewhere in the middle of Day 3 of this tournament, somebody had the
> bright idea of having a new 747 (I think they said it was the "10
> series"?...) fly over the tournament while doing some "trick" flying (no
> "barrel rolls", but they seemed only a couple of steps away from that!!)
> while only about 1,000 feet off the ground - this seems like a seriously
> stupid idea, that's begging for a crash into the golf course one of
> these years!!

There was a time (maybe starting around 9/11 when airplanes were no
longer allowed to fly over sporting events, but I guess that safety rule
got tossed aside for the 'excitement' aspect sometime since then.

anim8rfsk

Apr 15, 2018, 5:22:32 PM4/15/18
In article <pavduc$35f$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> I watched:
>
> LOST IN SPACE: The first 5 episodes of the new Netflix series. The
> first episode was very good in terms of creating suspense and a feeling
> of peril for the crew. After that, the next few episodes got bogged
> down a bit with a PTSD subplot and some marital friction plot, but the
> first half of the season remained entertaining and worth watching.
> There is some really stupid stuff (like water freezing solid in mere
> seconds while people are sitting around in jackets that are not even
> zipped up).

Yeah, that was just painful. Everything about the glacier was painful.
A lot of this felt like Defiling Gravity, or Altered Carbon, where the
showrunner wrote the first and last episode and the middle ones were
other people stalling for time. The glacier only serves to keep them
from meeting up with the other Jupiters for a while.

There are also several instances of something ridiculous being said in
one episode and an attempt to correct it is made in the next, like
either the first writer is trying to sabotage the second, or the second
is trying to fix the first.

Through 5 episodes, I didn't see/catch the part where they
> supposedly know where they are.

Well, Mom knows how far from Earth they are. That pretty much requires
knowing where they are. Especially when you're several times the size
of the known universe away.

All I caught was that they know they
> aren't in the Milkyway anymore. They also seem to spend a lot of time
> still talking as if this trip through the vortex (black hole / whatever)
> is just a minor bump in the road towards their intended destination.

Yep, everybody assumes the next stop is Alpha Centauri (although a
couple of them think they're going to be forced to go back to Earth).
Can't be very lost if the next stop is your original destination and the
stop after that is home.

I suppose if one jump through the Stargate uses the same amount of power
as every other jump through the Stargate, and you have the DHD
coordinates, then you wouldn't sweat it no matter where you are.

> Their assumption that they can get back seems entirely unwarranted.

And despite them not being able to contact the Resolute at all, and us
seeing the Resolute took heavy damage, nobody is even phased at the idea
of them all sailing home safely as soon as they reconnect. I never did
understand why the J2 radio can apparently receive but not transmit.
Until suddenly it can for no discernible reason.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

anim8rfsk

Apr 15, 2018, 5:58:16 PM4/15/18
In article <atropos-ED8BA3...@news.giganews.com>,
I don't mind Hurt being a hypocritical government stooge. I don't even
mind Cap buckling under to anything anybody in government power says or
does. Stark is somewhat more problematic. Natasha's a damn Commie, why
would *she* keep her mouth shut? What ticks me off is why a freaking
God, who's totally above any Earth laws, whose damn mother is our
planet's Goddess, doesn't hit these people in the face with Mjölnir.

Dimensional Traveler

Apr 15, 2018, 7:09:43 PM4/15/18
DRAMA!

instinct are running screaming.

anim8rfsk

Apr 15, 2018, 7:26:48 PM4/15/18
In article <pb0m3k$v3t$1...@dont-email.me>,
:\

So one Facebook group is deleting anything that's not praise, and
another is banishing anyone who dares utter a discouraging word. A girl
(!) said that she thought the female empowerment themes were overdone
and BAM was out on her ass.

Obveeus

Apr 15, 2018, 7:32:59 PM4/15/18
I wouldn't try to put any more exactness on mom's quote of how far away
they were than the daughter's quote about how far it is to the next bag
of Oreos. I think both of them were just tossing out random numbers as
a way to say 'really, really far'. The only thing mom seemed to know
for sure is that they weren't even in the MilkyWay.

> All I caught was that they know they
>> aren't in the Milkyway anymore. They also seem to spend a lot of time
>> still talking as if this trip through the vortex (black hole / whatever)
>> is just a minor bump in the road towards their intended destination.
>
> Yep, everybody assumes the next stop is Alpha Centauri (although a
> couple of them think they're going to be forced to go back to Earth).
> Can't be very lost if the next stop is your original destination and the
> stop after that is home.

Yep. I did not understand at all why everyone seemed to hold out hope
that this was some minor travel glitch that could be easily undone. At
least the STAR TREK VOYAGER crew knew that they were in for a long trip.

> I suppose if one jump through the Stargate uses the same amount of power
> as every other jump through the Stargate, and you have the DHD
> coordinates, then you wouldn't sweat it no matter where you are.

Sure...if you have the technology. Without that, the whole idea of
wormhole (or whatever) travel might as well be classified as 'magic'.

>> Their assumption that they can get back seems entirely unwarranted.
>
> And despite them not being able to contact the Resolute at all, and us
> seeing the Resolute took heavy damage, nobody is even phased at the idea
> of them all sailing home safely as soon as they reconnect.

Yep...I was having trouble understanding why they even expected the
Resolute to still exist given how long the 'we are looking for you'
message seemed to stay exactly the same like any other pre-recorded and
pointless beacon. They should have been planning to make this new
planet their home, not looking at it like it was a brief stopover.

> I never did
> understand why the J2 radio can apparently receive but not transmit.
> Until suddenly it can for no discernible reason.

The Resolute had very little ability to receive because they lost their
dish. So, ships down on the ground were not sending a strong enough
signal up through the atmosphere to be received.

There were lots of problems with all of that as a scenario, though.
Consider the ship that was stripped down for emergency escape of the
atmosphere...even if it could be refueled by a waiting/healthy Resolute
ship, they still wouldn't have had spare parts to make multiple trips
easy/successful Would that ship have been able to return and land safely?

Also, if the eels swim around eating methane all day/life...shouldn't
there have been something around on that planet surface that could have
easily been used as a methane-like fuel? At one point, the planet
starts breaking out in 'gas geysers' and no one even thinks to sample
what is coming out to see if it will work as a fuel.

anim8rfsk

Apr 15, 2018, 7:50:25 PM4/15/18
In article <pb0nf8$bjn$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
But her number is equivalent to saying that the supermarket by your
house is a billion miles away.

> > All I caught was that they know they
> >> aren't in the Milkyway anymore. They also seem to spend a lot of time
> >> still talking as if this trip through the vortex (black hole / whatever)
> >> is just a minor bump in the road towards their intended destination.
> >
> > Yep, everybody assumes the next stop is Alpha Centauri (although a
> > couple of them think they're going to be forced to go back to Earth).
> > Can't be very lost if the next stop is your original destination and the
> > stop after that is home.
>
> Yep. I did not understand at all why everyone seemed to hold out hope
> that this was some minor travel glitch that could be easily undone. At
> least the STAR TREK VOYAGER crew knew that they were in for a long trip.

No matter how much of her crew Janeway had to murder.

> > I suppose if one jump through the Stargate uses the same amount of power
> > as every other jump through the Stargate, and you have the DHD
> > coordinates, then you wouldn't sweat it no matter where you are.
>
> Sure...if you have the technology. Without that, the whole idea of
> wormhole (or whatever) travel might as well be classified as 'magic'.

I'm wondering if they paid Bill Mumy for his comic book idea that the J2
was built from a crashed UFO ...

> >> Their assumption that they can get back seems entirely unwarranted.
> >
> > And despite them not being able to contact the Resolute at all, and us
> > seeing the Resolute took heavy damage, nobody is even phased at the idea
> > of them all sailing home safely as soon as they reconnect.
>
> Yep...I was having trouble understanding why they even expected the
> Resolute to still exist given how long the 'we are looking for you'
> message seemed to stay exactly the same like any other pre-recorded and
> pointless beacon. They should have been planning to make this new
> planet their home, not looking at it like it was a brief stopover.

The first time I had *any* idea that the message from the Resolute
wasn't a repeating recording was towards the end when it said "you've
been down there 7 days"

> > I never did
> > understand why the J2 radio can apparently receive but not transmit.
> > Until suddenly it can for no discernible reason.
>
> The Resolute had very little ability to receive because they lost their
> dish. So, ships down on the ground were not sending a strong enough
> signal up through the atmosphere to be received.
>
> There were lots of problems with all of that as a scenario, though.
> Consider the ship that was stripped down for emergency escape of the
> atmosphere...even if it could be refueled by a waiting/healthy Resolute
> ship, they still wouldn't have had spare parts to make multiple trips
> easy/successful Would that ship have been able to return and land safely?

Yes, I had *no* idea what the stripped ship was going to do if it got to
the Resolute beyond say HEY WE'RE HERE.

> Also, if the eels swim around eating methane all day/life...shouldn't
> there have been something around on that planet surface that could have
> easily been used as a methane-like fuel? At one point, the planet
> starts breaking out in 'gas geysers' and no one even thinks to sample
> what is coming out to see if it will work as a fuel.

Yep. Biomass should be biomass, and METHANE EATING BIOMASS should be
recyclable into fuel. Hell, so should dead human bodies. And whatever
the colonists are eating to produce fuel making feces in the first place.

As to the fuel tanker, Judy says "we only need to lift it an inch" so
why DIDN'T they lift it an inch and then set it back down on that handy
rock? And that leak sure didn't look like it was coming from a
pressurized tank.

Arthur Lipscomb

Apr 15, 2018, 8:30:31 PM4/15/18
Cap and Stark's positions *really* should have been reversed.

Natasha's a damn Commie, why
> would *she* keep her mouth shut? What ticks me off is why a freaking
> God, who's totally above any Earth laws, whose damn mother is our
> planet's Goddess, doesn't hit these people in the face with Mjölnir.

He's not in the movie...

BTR1701

Apr 15, 2018, 8:39:41 PM4/15/18
In article <anim8rfsk-43667...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> In article <atropos-ED8BA3...@news.giganews.com>,
> BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <pavos6$6tn$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Captain America: Civil War (3D blu-ray) When the world finally
> > > gets fed up with getting caught in the Avengers collateral damage
> > > the UN demands the Avengers submit to global authority.
> >
> > I just watched this again, too, and the scene where John Hurt sits them
> > all down and lectures them always angers me, particularly when he
> > focuses on what happened in New York.
> >
> > Excuse me? How is *any* of that damage the fault of the Avengers? If
> > they hadn't been there, the city literally would have been completely
> > destroyed by the aliens (as well as the rest of the earth, eventually)
> > and when Cap weakly tries to make that important point, Hurt responds
> > with "But at what cost?"
> >
> > Excuse me, motherfucker? I know you didn't just say that.
> >
> > Wasn't it you assholes in the government that launched a fucking *nuke*
> > at Manhattan in response to the invasion? The only reason New York is
> > still standing and isn't a radioactive slag heap is that we took the
> > time-- in the middle of a pitched battle-- to *also* stop you assholes
> > from killing millions of innocent people.
> >
> > That whole scene just pisses me off, both for Hurt's hypocritical
> > arrogance and for the way the team just sat there and took it rather
> > than pointing out the gaping holes in his bullshit.
>
> I don't mind Hurt being a hypocritical government stooge. I don't even
> mind Cap buckling under to anything anybody in government power says or
> does. Stark is somewhat more problematic. Natasha's a damn Commie, why
> would *she* keep her mouth shut? What ticks me off is why a freaking
> God, who's totally above any Earth laws, whose damn mother is our
> planet's Goddess, doesn't hit these people in the face with Mjölnir.

He probably would have had he been there. He was conveniently absent.

Which also conveniently allowed the writers (in the form of Hurt) to
avoid addressing what they planned to do if Thor decided not to sign the
Accords.

And why would the Accords even apply to Natasha and Clint, anyway?

The Accords are specifically only applicable to "enhanced persons". That
covers Cap and Wanda and Vision and Spider Man and Banner, but Tony and
Natasha and Scott Lang and T'Challa and Clint aren't enhanced at all.
They're just regular people who are using various tools, tech, and
training to be good at what they do. Is a person with a rifle an
"enhanced person"? If not, I have no idea why Tony would be. His 'rifle'
is just a little more sophisticated.

And Thor isn't enhanced, either. He's normal for his species.

Obveeus

Apr 15, 2018, 9:56:57 PM4/15/18
I saw it more as her explaining that Earth and Alpha Centauri are
basically the equivalent of a neighborhood supermarket that is a billion
miles away.

>>> I suppose if one jump through the Stargate uses the same amount of power
>>> as every other jump through the Stargate, and you have the DHD
>>> coordinates, then you wouldn't sweat it no matter where you are.
>>
>> Sure...if you have the technology. Without that, the whole idea of
>> wormhole (or whatever) travel might as well be classified as 'magic'.
>
> I'm wondering if they paid Bill Mumy for his comic book idea that the J2
> was built from a crashed UFO ...

Apparently, in order to avoid payments, you just have to be 25% or more
different.

>>> And despite them not being able to contact the Resolute at all, and us
>>> seeing the Resolute took heavy damage, nobody is even phased at the idea
>>> of them all sailing home safely as soon as they reconnect.
>>
>> Yep...I was having trouble understanding why they even expected the
>> Resolute to still exist given how long the 'we are looking for you'
>> message seemed to stay exactly the same like any other pre-recorded and
>> pointless beacon. They should have been planning to make this new
>> planet their home, not looking at it like it was a brief stopover.
>
> The first time I had *any* idea that the message from the Resolute
> wasn't a repeating recording was towards the end when it said "you've
> been down there 7 days"

Sounds about right. Before that, everyone on the ground seemed to just
be assuming that the ship was intact up there despite all evidence to
the contrary.

>>> I never did
>>> understand why the J2 radio can apparently receive but not transmit.
>>> Until suddenly it can for no discernible reason.
>>
>> The Resolute had very little ability to receive because they lost their
>> dish. So, ships down on the ground were not sending a strong enough
>> signal up through the atmosphere to be received.
>>
>> There were lots of problems with all of that as a scenario, though.
>> Consider the ship that was stripped down for emergency escape of the
>> atmosphere...even if it could be refueled by a waiting/healthy Resolute
>> ship, they still wouldn't have had spare parts to make multiple trips
>> easy/successful Would that ship have been able to return and land safely?
>
> Yes, I had *no* idea what the stripped ship was going to do if it got to
> the Resolute beyond say HEY WE'RE HERE.

...and maybe 'please do not leave until we can get up here'. Still, the
Resolute clearly had no capacity to get down to the surface, so that
parted out ship probably wasn't going to get anything more than fuel for
a return trip.

>> Also, if the eels swim around eating methane all day/life...shouldn't
>> there have been something around on that planet surface that could have
>> easily been used as a methane-like fuel? At one point, the planet
>> starts breaking out in 'gas geysers' and no one even thinks to sample
>> what is coming out to see if it will work as a fuel.
>
> Yep. Biomass should be biomass, and METHANE EATING BIOMASS should be
> recyclable into fuel. Hell, so should dead human bodies. And whatever
> the colonists are eating to produce fuel making feces in the first place.
>
> As to the fuel tanker, Judy says "we only need to lift it an inch" so
> why DIDN'T they lift it an inch and then set it back down on that handy
> rock? And that leak sure didn't look like it was coming from a
> pressurized tank.

Yep...calling it a pressurized talk was a big mistake given the visuals
they put with it. Also, if they had just lifted it a few inches, I
think the tank would have bled out through that hole, anyway. I doubt
that it would conveniently reseal...and even if it did, wouldn't they
have needed a second tanker to drain it? Hmmm, come to think of it, I
believe they said they had a second tanker, hours away, so I guess that
at least 2 of the Jupiters had tankers on board.

anim8rfsk

Apr 15, 2018, 10:30:39 PM4/15/18
In article <atropos-A75AD8...@news.giganews.com>,
Oh, dear, you're going to make me go nerd on you.

Clint, as it turns out, *is* enhanced. He has some kind of magic vision
that allows him to make those impossible shots. He just never used to
admit to it.

Tony's enhanced. Don't ask. I want to forget about it.

Thor Odinson is probably enhanced, if not by virtue of having a magic
hammer, but by his magic belt that doubles his strength. They don't
talk about that much anymore, but he's still wearing it.

I had to look up Natasha. Wiki says she's enhanced. She has biotech
for resistance to aging and disease and accelerated healing, and (for
whatever reason) operates physically beyond gold metal Olympic athletic
levels.

T'Challa is enhanced. His magic connection to the Panther Gods gives
him all kinds of superhuman abilities.

I had to look up Scott, too, 'cause Henry Pym is my Ant-Man. Scott is
considered enhanced, because long term use of Pym particles has given
him the ability to change size at will; he doesn't need external tools
any more. I'm gonna guess Janet's wings probably qualify her, too.

I completely agree with you about the accords being stupid, but now I'm
having trouble finding a good exception; a normal person using tech.

Crap. I thought maybe Sam "Falcon" Wilson would do it, but he's been
enhanced so he can see through Redwing's eyes. Don't ask how. Much
less why.

anim8rfsk

Apr 15, 2018, 10:58:08 PM4/15/18
In article <pb0vt6$kkt$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
Well, no, but, even so, wouldn't "I don't know where the fuck we are"
have served the premise better?

> >> Sure...if you have the technology. Without that, the whole idea of
> >> wormhole (or whatever) travel might as well be classified as 'magic'.
> >
> > I'm wondering if they paid Bill Mumy for his comic book idea that the J2
> > was built from a crashed UFO ...
>
> Apparently, in order to avoid payments, you just have to be 25% or more
> different.

Who knows how that gets judged. Anyway, their Enterprise isn't even
*close* to being more than 25% different than the TMP ship.

> >> Yep...I was having trouble understanding why they even expected the
> >> Resolute to still exist given how long the 'we are looking for you'
> >> message seemed to stay exactly the same like any other pre-recorded and
> >> pointless beacon. They should have been planning to make this new
> >> planet their home, not looking at it like it was a brief stopover.
> >
> > The first time I had *any* idea that the message from the Resolute
> > wasn't a repeating recording was towards the end when it said "you've
> > been down there 7 days"
>
> Sounds about right. Before that, everyone on the ground seemed to just
> be assuming that the ship was intact up there despite all evidence to
> the contrary.

Evidence like HUGE HUNKS OF IT LAYING ON THE GROUND.

> >> The Resolute had very little ability to receive because they lost their
> >> dish. So, ships down on the ground were not sending a strong enough
> >> signal up through the atmosphere to be received.
> >>
> >> There were lots of problems with all of that as a scenario, though.
> >> Consider the ship that was stripped down for emergency escape of the
> >> atmosphere...even if it could be refueled by a waiting/healthy Resolute
> >> ship, they still wouldn't have had spare parts to make multiple trips
> >> easy/successful Would that ship have been able to return and land safely?
> >
> > Yes, I had *no* idea what the stripped ship was going to do if it got to
> > the Resolute beyond say HEY WE'RE HERE.
>
> ...and maybe 'please do not leave until we can get up here'. Still, the
> Resolute clearly had no capacity to get down to the surface, so that
> parted out ship probably wasn't going to get anything more than fuel for
> a return trip.

I kept wondering if maybe there was another Jupiter still on the
Resolute. *that* would have helped. Beyond that, the stripped ship
goes up, refuels, goes back (good luck with that), they use that spare
fuel tanker to shuttle around the fuel to a working Jupiter, THAT goes
up and refills somewhat more smoothly.

BTW, where did all the people from the stripped Jupiter go? The J2
hasn't even got a spare bunk. Huge ship, accommodates 5 people.

> >> Also, if the eels swim around eating methane all day/life...shouldn't
> >> there have been something around on that planet surface that could have
> >> easily been used as a methane-like fuel? At one point, the planet
> >> starts breaking out in 'gas geysers' and no one even thinks to sample
> >> what is coming out to see if it will work as a fuel.
> >
> > Yep. Biomass should be biomass, and METHANE EATING BIOMASS should be
> > recyclable into fuel. Hell, so should dead human bodies. And whatever
> > the colonists are eating to produce fuel making feces in the first place.
> >
> > As to the fuel tanker, Judy says "we only need to lift it an inch" so
> > why DIDN'T they lift it an inch and then set it back down on that handy
> > rock? And that leak sure didn't look like it was coming from a
> > pressurized tank.
>
> Yep...calling it a pressurized talk was a big mistake given the visuals
> they put with it. Also, if they had just lifted it a few inches, I
> think the tank would have bled out through that hole, anyway. I doubt
> that it would conveniently reseal...and even if it did, wouldn't they
> have needed a second tanker to drain it? Hmmm, come to think of it, I
> believe they said they had a second tanker, hours away, so I guess that
> at least 2 of the Jupiters had tankers on board.

Yeah, there was a spare tanker. Somewhere. The Indian guy just yelled
SEND FOR A SPARE TANKER like it was a routine request.

Come to think of it, WTF didn't they bring the spare tanker in the first
place? They can't possibly have thought that one tanker would hold the
entire reserves of a Jupiter if it was full? Certainly a spare tanker
couldn't have *hurt* - it's not like it could be doing anything else.
And it wouldn't require another chariot, since they already had one of
those.

BTR1701

Apr 16, 2018, 3:56:50 AM4/16/18
wrote:

> On 4/15/2018 7:50 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> > I'm wondering if they paid Bill Mumy for his comic book idea that the J2
> > was built from a crashed UFO ...
>
> Apparently, in order to avoid payments, you just have to be 25% or more
> different.

That must be contractual because it's certainly has no basis in
copyright law.

BTR1701

Apr 16, 2018, 4:03:07 AM4/16/18
In article <anim8rfsk-BA499...@news.easynews.com>,
Yabbut that's all from the comics; none of that applies in the movies.
In the movies, Lang is just a half-assed criminal who wears a hi-tech
suit. Stark the same. Clint is a normal human who has really good aim
and Natasha doesn't have any bionics. T'Challa can't do anything special
without his panther suit on.

As for Thor, he's a whole different species, so figuring out whether he
counts as enhanced or not for purposes of the Accords would be a legal
mess.

David Johnston

Apr 16, 2018, 4:48:15 AM4/16/18
Not actually true. They apply to anyone who is a member of the Avengers
as well anyone who is "enhanced". Bear in mind that one of their
biggest beefs is that the Avengers were crossing borders and fighting
crime without so much as a how-do-you-do to the local governments.

That
> covers Cap and Wanda and Vision and Spider Man and Banner, but Tony and
> Natasha and Scott Lang and T'Challa and Clint aren't enhanced at all.
> They're just regular people who are using various tools, tech, and
> training to be good at what they do. Is a person with a rifle an
> "enhanced person"? If not, I have no idea why Tony would be.

Because his gear isn't something you can pick up at Walmart. That's
ignoring the superpowerful generator in his chest.

His 'rifle'
> is just a little more sophisticated.
>
> And Thor isn't enhanced, either. He's normal for his species.

No he isn't. He's way stronger than a normal Asgardian. Also of course
the people formulating the Accords were not of his species.

Arthur Lipscomb

Apr 16, 2018, 9:34:58 AM4/16/18
snip

> Yabbut that's all from the comics; none of that applies in the movies.
> In the movies, Lang is just a half-assed criminal who wears a hi-tech
> suit. Stark the same. Clint is a normal human who has really good aim
> and Natasha doesn't have any bionics. T'Challa can't do anything special
> without his panther suit on.

That's what I thought as well. But "Black Panther" established he is
enhanced without the suit thanks to a the "heart shaped herb." It's
also from the comics.

Obveeus

Apr 16, 2018, 9:55:36 AM4/16/18

On 4/15/2018 10:58 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <pb0vt6$kkt$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/15/2018 7:50 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>>> In article <pb0nf8$bjn$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
>>> wrote:

LOST IN SPACE spoilers:

>>> But her number is equivalent to saying that the supermarket by your
>>> house is a billion miles away.
>>
>> I saw it more as her explaining that Earth and Alpha Centauri are
>> basically the equivalent of a neighborhood supermarket that is a billion
>> miles away.
>
> Well, no, but, even so, wouldn't "I don't know where the fuck we are"
> have served the premise better?

I think what she said was pretty much the same in terms of conveying
that they are a long, long way from home...well beyond where their own
ships/technology/knowledge could have ever gotten them.

>>> The first time I had *any* idea that the message from the Resolute
>>> wasn't a repeating recording was towards the end when it said "you've
>>> been down there 7 days"
>>
>> Sounds about right. Before that, everyone on the ground seemed to just
>> be assuming that the ship was intact up there despite all evidence to
>> the contrary.
>
> Evidence like HUGE HUNKS OF IT LAYING ON THE GROUND.

Yep. I have no idea why they looked at that hunk and thought 'no big
deal' rather than 'the Resolute must have broken up in space'

>>> Yes, I had *no* idea what the stripped ship was going to do if it got to
>>> the Resolute beyond say HEY WE'RE HERE.
>>
>> ...and maybe 'please do not leave until we can get up here'. Still, the
>> Resolute clearly had no capacity to get down to the surface, so that
>> parted out ship probably wasn't going to get anything more than fuel for
>> a return trip.
>
> I kept wondering if maybe there was another Jupiter still on the
> Resolute. *that* would have helped.

More than helped, it would have solved the entire first season before it
ever started.

Side note: I still have no idea how the eels got into the fuel tanks of
the Jupiters without making holes that would then result in a permanent
inability to hold fuel or fly. J2 was even quoted as having had holes
punched in it that allowed the eels to get in.

> Beyond that, the stripped ship
> goes up, refuels, goes back (good luck with that), they use that spare
> fuel tanker to shuttle around the fuel to a working Jupiter, THAT goes
> up and refills somewhat more smoothly.
>
> BTW, where did all the people from the stripped Jupiter go? The J2
> hasn't even got a spare bunk. Huge ship, accommodates 5 people.

...and aren't there 6 chairs in the hub for those 5 beds?

> Yeah, there was a spare tanker. Somewhere. The Indian guy just yelled
> SEND FOR A SPARE TANKER like it was a routine request.
>
> Come to think of it, WTF didn't they bring the spare tanker in the first
> place? They can't possibly have thought that one tanker would hold the
> entire reserves of a Jupiter if it was full?

No idea how much fuel a ship takes, so they can make whatever size up
that they want. They could have made the entire fuel load fit in a
bread box if they'd wanted to portray it as such.

> Certainly a spare tanker
> couldn't have *hurt* - it's not like it could be doing anything else.
> And it wouldn't require another chariot, since they already had one of
> those.

...and in a race for time across an exploding valley, a chariot hauling
a full fuel tanker goes the same speed as a chariot with no tanker to haul.

anim8rfsk

Apr 16, 2018, 10:25:25 AM4/16/18
In article <atropos-7E1722...@news.giganews.com>,
The problem is, these guys all had the enhancements in the comics but
didn't *tell* anybody, and, let's face it, what Hawkeye and Widow do in
the movies is completely, wildly impossible for standard issue humans.
Lang became enhanced just by using the Pym Particles (which means Pym
and Van Dyne as well). And Stark had Extremis in him at one point didn't
he? We gonna believe he's really free of it?

> As for Thor, he's a whole different species, so figuring out whether he
> counts as enhanced or not for purposes of the Accords would be a legal
> mess.

Plus, what are you going to do to him? Tell him to go home?

anim8rfsk

Apr 16, 2018, 10:27:28 AM4/16/18
In article <atropos-0E33B2...@news.giganews.com>,
It's something producers say when they're trying to get you to rip off
somebody else's work. "Just change it 10% and then it's not copyright
infringement" - that's what it was in my day, apparently the ante has
gone up. I've walked away from jobs because of it.

Obveeus

Apr 16, 2018, 10:32:57 AM4/16/18
Black Widow zooming along on a motorcycle at high speed and reaching out
to pick up CAPTAIN AMERICA's shield off the ground. I still have no
idea why she didn't end up YoYo'ing that arm.

BTR1701

Apr 16, 2018, 11:06:22 AM4/16/18
In article <pb1o0b$pi5$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
Well, that would also be an easy dodge: "I'm neither enhanced nor a
member of the Avengers. See? Our group is now called the Revengers."

BTR1701

Apr 16, 2018, 11:11:15 AM4/16/18
In article <anim8rfsk-357FF...@news.easynews.com>,
Did they ever learn their lesson when a court held them accountable for
infringement because it was 90% the same as the thing they were ripping
off?

anim8rfsk

Apr 16, 2018, 11:13:01 AM4/16/18
In article <pb2a0l$okq$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 4/15/2018 10:58 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <pb0vt6$kkt$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> > wrote:

> LOST IN SPACE spoilers:

> >> I saw it more as her explaining that Earth and Alpha Centauri are
> >> basically the equivalent of a neighborhood supermarket that is a billion
> >> miles away.
> >
> > Well, no, but, even so, wouldn't "I don't know where the fuck we are"
> > have served the premise better?
>
> I think what she said was pretty much the same in terms of conveying
> that they are a long, long way from home...well beyond where their own
> ships/technology/knowledge could have ever gotten them.

Come on, the writers got the science and physics wrong in every other
scene. Why would you defend this one? It's like getting lost in the
desert on the way to the Indian Casino, and Mom tells you you're
millions of miles from home. Like your two genius space trained kids
and maybe even the one retard daughter aren't going to think "mom's an
idiot" rather than 'wow'

More likely the line was written as 'trillions of miles' and somebody
decided to upgrade 'miles' to 'light years' to make it more 'science
fictiony'

obGodDamnYouBonnieHammer

> >> Sounds about right. Before that, everyone on the ground seemed to just
> >> be assuming that the ship was intact up there despite all evidence to
> >> the contrary.
> >
> > Evidence like HUGE HUNKS OF IT LAYING ON THE GROUND.
>
> Yep. I have no idea why they looked at that hunk and thought 'no big
> deal' rather than 'the Resolute must have broken up in space'

I was thinking 'wow that thing fell from orbit and still looks like a
dish'

Was it just me or did they seem to drop hints at a couple points that
they were actually lost in time and not space and then give up on it? I
was half certain they were going to find the Statue of Liberty's arm by
the remains of the Resolute.

> >> ...and maybe 'please do not leave until we can get up here'. Still, the
> >> Resolute clearly had no capacity to get down to the surface, so that
> >> parted out ship probably wasn't going to get anything more than fuel for
> >> a return trip.
> >
> > I kept wondering if maybe there was another Jupiter still on the
> > Resolute. *that* would have helped.
>
> More than helped, it would have solved the entire first season before it
> ever started.

Yep. We could even have done a workaround to make it fit, that they
just got it fixed, or couldn't locate the landing site without the dish
or something. Or that they had a flying fuel tanker, since these people
seem to like to include fuel tankers. WHY WOULD THE JUPITERS EVER NEED
A FUEL TANKER? By the time they get a civilization up and running to
the point where they need fuel tankers, they should be able to build
their own.

Oh, and that goddamn gun. I was *so* hoping it was some sort of laser
pistol, but, no, it fired bullets. So their 3D printer is *that* good,
that it can make a loaded gun, with working chemical propellents?
That's transmutation of elements people, unless it has huge reservoirs
of stuff like sulphur to draw on. With that kind of tech you'd think
they'd be able to make fuel out of anything.

And you can somehow override the printer protocols to make forbidden
stuff like weapons (I almost turned off the show right there) but it
won't tell you who did the overriding or what it printed, just that it
printed something forbidden? Hell, wipe the memory or don't wipe the
memory, but spare me the partial memory wipes. Hell, 1980s fax machines
had better recall than this. Columbo had people put to death on that
premise.

> Side note: I still have no idea how the eels got into the fuel tanks of
> the Jupiters without making holes that would then result in a permanent
> inability to hold fuel or fly. J2 was even quoted as having had holes
> punched in it that allowed the eels to get in.

Yes. I assumed the Robot fixed the J2 leaks when he sucked out the
water as he must have had to do any number of miraculous repairs along
the way (as well as differentiating water they wanted from water they
didn't, not to mention water from other liquids, like the rest of the
fuel) but I have *no* idea once we found out it happened to all but one
of the other Jupiters, and THAT one was spared because it was in an arid
region, because the eels live equally well in forests or the middle of a
glacier.

And, hey, wasn't it handy that the J2, having escaped the glacier,
unknowingly made a beeline for the other ships, and ran out of fuel and
landed within half a mile of the lead Jupiter?

> > Beyond that, the stripped ship
> > goes up, refuels, goes back (good luck with that), they use that spare
> > fuel tanker to shuttle around the fuel to a working Jupiter, THAT goes
> > up and refills somewhat more smoothly.
> >
> > BTW, where did all the people from the stripped Jupiter go? The J2
> > hasn't even got a spare bunk. Huge ship, accommodates 5 people.
>
> ...and aren't there 6 chairs in the hub for those 5 beds?

LOL, I didn't count, but with the crew chairs that's even worse.

Really, no cute fold out emergency cots like Smith used in the original?

Not even 'sleep in the chariot instead of on the floor'?

None of their fancy chairs recline?

> > Yeah, there was a spare tanker. Somewhere. The Indian guy just yelled
> > SEND FOR A SPARE TANKER like it was a routine request.
> >
> > Come to think of it, WTF didn't they bring the spare tanker in the first
> > place? They can't possibly have thought that one tanker would hold the
> > entire reserves of a Jupiter if it was full?
>
> No idea how much fuel a ship takes, so they can make whatever size up
> that they want. They could have made the entire fuel load fit in a
> bread box if they'd wanted to portray it as such.
>
> > Certainly a spare tanker
> > couldn't have *hurt* - it's not like it could be doing anything else.
> > And it wouldn't require another chariot, since they already had one of
> > those.
>
> ...and in a race for time across an exploding valley, a chariot hauling
> a full fuel tanker goes the same speed as a chariot with no tanker to haul.

God, it seemed to be GAINING on it. They really needed a line of dialog
saying that they were keeping pace with the slower vehicle to help
somehow.

Also, nobody is discussing the elephant in the room, that black hole.
It's pulling the planet close enough to the sun to incinerate everything
on it (granted, this is right out of the original series, but was so
stupid they forgot about it immediately). So ... why didn't this happen
LAST year? Did everything on the planet grow from scratch in the last
orbital period? Or is this one of those fast moving black holes that
just races by long enough to disrupt your orbit once, and doesn't stop
to swallow you or your sun whole? The Resolute says they can come back
later when the heat dissipates, so the planet is gonna keep on keeping
on.

David Johnston

Apr 16, 2018, 11:45:01 AM4/16/18
Or would be if he wasn't responsible for the deaths of hundreds of
thousands of Ultron's victims through gross reckless negligence

Natasha's a damn Commie, why

>>> He probably would have had he been there. He was conveniently absent.
>>>
>>> Which also conveniently allowed the writers (in the form of Hurt) to
>>> avoid addressing what they planned to do if Thor decided not to sign the
>>> Accords.
>>>
>>> And why would the Accords even apply to Natasha and Clint, anyway?
>>>
>>> The Accords are specifically only applicable to "enhanced persons".
>>
>> Not actually true. They apply to anyone who is a member of the Avengers
>> as well anyone who is "enhanced".
>
> Well, that would also be an easy dodge: "I'm neither enhanced nor a
> member of the Avengers. See? Our group is now called the Revengers."

Except that a group of low power vigilantes (and yeah tech that nobody
else can get that makes you unbeatable by conventional soldiers is going
to be included in "enhanced") kung-fuing their past street thugs isn't
what the governments involved in the Sokovia Accords were worried about
so they're probably good with that.

BTR1701

Apr 16, 2018, 12:04:10 PM4/16/18
In article <pb2gdo$72s$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,

> >> Not actually true. They apply to anyone who is a member of the Avengers
> >> as well anyone who is "enhanced".
> >
> > Well, that would also be an easy dodge: "I'm neither enhanced nor a
> > member of the Avengers. See? Our group is now called the Revengers."

> Except that a group of low power vigilantes (and yeah tech that nobody
> else can get that makes you unbeatable by conventional soldiers is going
> to be included in "enhanced") kung-fuing their past street thugs isn't
> what the governments involved in the Sokovia Accords were worried about
> so they're probably good with that.

Except they weren't good with that. Hurt specifically told Natasha that
she could either sign or be arrested.

anim8rfsk

Apr 16, 2018, 12:11:52 PM4/16/18
In article <atropos-071EE0...@news.giganews.com>,
According to the movie Wiki, the accords affect enhanced individuals
working for government agencies such as S.H.I.E.L.D. or private
organizations such as The Avengers. So lone wolves are okay.

Man, this is more Draconian than I realized. Not only do you have to
give up your identity, fingerprints, and DNA samples, 'those with innate
powers must were tracking bracelets at all times'

And you can only operate in your own country, which is a problem for the
Widow. And Thor.

Ah, it says specifically, innate powers or those using tech. But
prothesis don't count (ala the Son of Coul)

This Wiki considers Widow and Hawkeye unenhanced, but a loophole
requires Widow to sign up if she wants to serve with The Avengers, and
Hawkeye went to The Raft for not signing, although it doesn't say why.

Man, why don't they just burn the U.N. building to the ground?

anim8rfsk

Apr 16, 2018, 12:13:21 PM4/16/18
In article <atropos-899F28...@news.giganews.com>,
BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

> In article <anim8rfsk-357FF...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <atropos-0E33B2...@news.giganews.com>,
> > BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

> > > That must be contractual because it's certainly has no basis in
> > > copyright law.
> >
> > It's something producers say when they're trying to get you to rip off
> > somebody else's work. "Just change it 10% and then it's not copyright
> > infringement" - that's what it was in my day, apparently the ante has
> > gone up. I've walked away from jobs because of it.
>
> Did they ever learn their lesson when a court held them accountable for
> infringement because it was 90% the same as the thing they were ripping
> off?

It's just one of those things that everybody seems to believe, like "the
FCC says subliminal messages in commercials is illegal so you can't have
words on screen for only one frame" - I have no idea where *that* came
from either.

anim8rfsk

Apr 16, 2018, 12:17:36 PM4/16/18
In article <atropos-CD2E2E...@news.giganews.com>,
That's the blatantly illegal "this rule is specific to the Avengers"
loophole.

David Johnston

Apr 16, 2018, 1:10:55 PM4/16/18
Natasha IS an enhanced human. She was part of a Cold War super spy
program. How old does that make her?

David Johnston

Apr 16, 2018, 1:15:07 PM4/16/18

>>> Not actually true. They apply to anyone who is a member of the Avengers
>>> as well anyone who is "enhanced".
>>
>> Well, that would also be an easy dodge: "I'm neither enhanced nor a
>> member of the Avengers. See? Our group is now called the Revengers."
>
> According to the movie Wiki, the accords affect enhanced individuals
> working for government agencies such as S.H.I.E.L.D. or private
> organizations such as The Avengers. So lone wolves are okay.
>
> Man, this is more Draconian than I realized. Not only do you have to
> give up your identity, fingerprints, and DNA samples, 'those with innate
> powers must were tracking bracelets at all times'
>
> And you can only operate in your own country, which is a problem for the
> Widow. And Thor.
>
> Ah, it says specifically, innate powers or those using tech. But
> prothesis don't count (ala the Son of Coul)
>
> This Wiki considers Widow and Hawkeye unenhanced, but a loophole
> requires Widow to sign up if she wants to serve with The Avengers, and
> Hawkeye went to The Raft for not signing, although it doesn't say why.

No. He didn't. He went to the Raft for fighting alongside Captain
America as Cap was helping a fugitive escape arrest.

Obveeus

Apr 16, 2018, 1:48:20 PM4/16/18
When driving to the Indian Casino, you don't normally end up driving
into a black hole. If you did, then Mom would have a point...which was
the case with LOST IN SPACE. They didn't get blown of course, they got
relocated by a different form of space travel not known/understood by
them. Heck, as it turns out, they didn't even understand the technology
for the space travel they were using.

> More likely the line was written as 'trillions of miles' and somebody
> decided to upgrade 'miles' to 'light years' to make it more 'science
> fictiony'

probably, but I also don't think it was meant to be taken literally any
more than the daughter's Oreo distance comment.

> obGodDamnYouBonnieHammer

>>> Evidence like HUGE HUNKS OF IT LAYING ON THE GROUND.
>>
>> Yep. I have no idea why they looked at that hunk and thought 'no big
>> deal' rather than 'the Resolute must have broken up in space'
>
> I was thinking 'wow that thing fell from orbit and still looks like a
> dish'

Me too...and same goes for the rest of the chunk of spaceship next to
it. then, when they got trapped under it I wondered why they didn't
just dig a hole instead of 'blast charging' their way through a dish
that could withstand reentry.

> Was it just me or did they seem to drop hints at a couple points that
> they were actually lost in time and not space and then give up on it?

I didn't notice that.

> was half certain they were going to find the Statue of Liberty's arm by
> the remains of the Resolute.

Talking apes would have been reasonable, too, given the theory that the
animals grow up from seeds each season to maturity...or were the animals
just strong enough to survive the 'summer' that would be too much for
the humans, even inside their ships? None of it made any good sense,
but...Peril!

>>> I kept wondering if maybe there was another Jupiter still on the
>>> Resolute. *that* would have helped.
>>
>> More than helped, it would have solved the entire first season before it
>> ever started.
>
> Yep. We could even have done a workaround to make it fit, that they
> just got it fixed, or couldn't locate the landing site without the dish
> or something. Or that they had a flying fuel tanker, since these people
> seem to like to include fuel tankers. WHY WOULD THE JUPITERS EVER NEED
> A FUEL TANKER? By the time they get a civilization up and running to
> the point where they need fuel tankers, they should be able to build
> their own.

I'd accept Jupiters having a fuel tanker for situations when they would
need to 'rescue' each other, but yes, a hose long enough to reach
between ships would have been far more likely.

> Oh, and that goddamn gun. I was *so* hoping it was some sort of laser
> pistol, but, no, it fired bullets. So their 3D printer is *that* good,
> that it can make a loaded gun, with working chemical propellents?

I was hoping early on that it would be a gun, but not have
bullets...since that would be the realistic result.

> That's transmutation of elements people, unless it has huge reservoirs
> of stuff like sulphur to draw on. With that kind of tech you'd think
> they'd be able to make fuel out of anything.

Of course, we never saw the bullets get made and it is possible that the
robot did that off camera since he obviously had the supplies and the
transmutation power within his body.

> And you can somehow override the printer protocols to make forbidden
> stuff like weapons (I almost turned off the show right there) but it
> won't tell you who did the overriding or what it printed, just that it
> printed something forbidden?

It didn't say the printed item was 'forbidden', it just said the item
was 'unknown'. I'm fine with the idea that the super advanced robot
could hack the printer.

>> Side note: I still have no idea how the eels got into the fuel tanks of
>> the Jupiters without making holes that would then result in a permanent
>> inability to hold fuel or fly. J2 was even quoted as having had holes
>> punched in it that allowed the eels to get in.
>
> Yes. I assumed the Robot fixed the J2 leaks when he sucked out the
> water

Did he suck it out or just steam it off?

> as he must have had to do any number of miraculous repairs along
> the way (as well as differentiating water they wanted from water they
> didn't, not to mention water from other liquids, like the rest of the
> fuel) but I have *no* idea once we found out it happened to all but one
> of the other Jupiters, and THAT one was spared because it was in an arid
> region, because the eels live equally well in forests or the middle of a
> glacier.

...any where that there is water, eels can swim...and have a food supply
of methane like stuff nearby to create a situation where there were eels
around in the first place...but that other food source is hidden from
our crew somehow.

> And, hey, wasn't it handy that the J2, having escaped the glacier,
> unknowingly made a beeline for the other ships, and ran out of fuel and
> landed within half a mile of the lead Jupiter?

Yes, that was convenient...and all so it could be a 'surprise' to see
other people all over the place instead of finding out through the com
links (which is how it really would have happened).

>>> Beyond that, the stripped ship
>>> goes up, refuels, goes back (good luck with that), they use that spare
>>> fuel tanker to shuttle around the fuel to a working Jupiter, THAT goes
>>> up and refills somewhat more smoothly.
>>>
>>> BTW, where did all the people from the stripped Jupiter go? The J2
>>> hasn't even got a spare bunk. Huge ship, accommodates 5 people.
>>
>> ...and aren't there 6 chairs in the hub for those 5 beds?
>
> LOL, I didn't count, but with the crew chairs that's even worse.
>
> Really, no cute fold out emergency cots like Smith used in the original?
>
> Not even 'sleep in the chariot instead of on the floor'?
>
> None of their fancy chairs recline?

When they first started pulling equipment to make the ship lighter, I
assumed it was so that everyone could fit onto one ship and make one
desperate flight into orbit hoping to find a mother ship to save them.
I thought that the weight issue was going to come down to drawing straws
in an effort to decide which folks got left behind. Instead, it was
just some silly stuff about needing no weight to make the first trip,
but then being able to refuel in space and make more trips at will.

>>> Yeah, there was a spare tanker. Somewhere. The Indian guy just yelled
>>> SEND FOR A SPARE TANKER like it was a routine request.
>>>
>>> Come to think of it, WTF didn't they bring the spare tanker in the first
>>> place? They can't possibly have thought that one tanker would hold the
>>> entire reserves of a Jupiter if it was full?
>>
>> No idea how much fuel a ship takes, so they can make whatever size up
>> that they want. They could have made the entire fuel load fit in a
>> bread box if they'd wanted to portray it as such.
>>
>>> Certainly a spare tanker
>>> couldn't have *hurt* - it's not like it could be doing anything else.
>>> And it wouldn't require another chariot, since they already had one of
>>> those.
>>
>> ...and in a race for time across an exploding valley, a chariot hauling
>> a full fuel tanker goes the same speed as a chariot with no tanker to haul.
>
> God, it seemed to be GAINING on it. They really needed a line of dialog
> saying that they were keeping pace with the slower vehicle to help
> somehow.

Yep. Instead, it just turned out to be pure luck that they were driving
along side by side to see the loose wire. A loose wire because...peril!

> Also, nobody is discussing the elephant in the room, that black hole.
> It's pulling the planet close enough to the sun to incinerate everything
> on it (granted, this is right out of the original series, but was so
> stupid they forgot about it immediately). So ... why didn't this happen
> LAST year? Did everything on the planet grow from scratch in the last
> orbital period?

Yes...that is why the trees only have 1 ring.

...and yes, the very idea that all that vegetation and animal life grew
up from scratch each season was beyond silly...especially when coupled
with the claim that the humans could not survive even in their space ships.

anim8rfsk

Apr 16, 2018, 2:37:37 PM4/16/18
In article <pb2nl0$rvd$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
That's where Mumy's original "repurposed from a crashed UFO" was so
great; it explained how the Hell the Robinson's didn't know they had a
hyperdrive, even though there's a big marked indicator for it! :)

> > More likely the line was written as 'trillions of miles' and somebody
> > decided to upgrade 'miles' to 'light years' to make it more 'science
> > fictiony'
>
> probably, but I also don't think it was meant to be taken literally any
> more than the daughter's Oreo distance comment.
>
> > obGodDamnYouBonnieHammer

> >> Yep. I have no idea why they looked at that hunk and thought 'no big
> >> deal' rather than 'the Resolute must have broken up in space'
> >
> > I was thinking 'wow that thing fell from orbit and still looks like a
> > dish'
>
> Me too...and same goes for the rest of the chunk of spaceship next to
> it. then, when they got trapped under it I wondered why they didn't
> just dig a hole instead of 'blast charging' their way through a dish
> that could withstand reentry.

I was graying out by then. They sure were lucky not to be right behind
or below where Don blew the hold, weren't they?
I thought she said "out of parameters" or some such, which I took to
mean "illicit"

So you're thinking it was the Robot's own design, and he didn't order up
something already on the menu? That works, except, again, even an '80s
fax machine keeps a copy of what it printed.

> >> Side note: I still have no idea how the eels got into the fuel tanks of
> >> the Jupiters without making holes that would then result in a permanent
> >> inability to hold fuel or fly. J2 was even quoted as having had holes
> >> punched in it that allowed the eels to get in.
> >
> > Yes. I assumed the Robot fixed the J2 leaks when he sucked out the
> > water
>
> Did he suck it out or just steam it off?

I have no idea. You'd think 'steam' since he had heat powers, but of
course there's no way just heating wouldn't have boiled Judy like an
egg, and there's no way just heating would have resulted in a functional
Jupiter 2. I mean, fuck, these things blow up if the exhaust is in
sunlight. Imagine heating one to boiling?
Well, they only had enough fuel to fly the lighter ship, but, really.

> >> No idea how much fuel a ship takes, so they can make whatever size up
> >> that they want. They could have made the entire fuel load fit in a
> >> bread box if they'd wanted to portray it as such.

> >> ...and in a race for time across an exploding valley, a chariot hauling
> >> a full fuel tanker goes the same speed as a chariot with no tanker to haul.
> >
> > God, it seemed to be GAINING on it. They really needed a line of dialog
> > saying that they were keeping pace with the slower vehicle to help
> > somehow.
>
> Yep. Instead, it just turned out to be pure luck that they were driving
> along side by side to see the loose wire. A loose wire because...peril!

Gasp!

And why does the trailer *need* electronics anyway? For the brake
lights?

> > Also, nobody is discussing the elephant in the room, that black hole.
> > It's pulling the planet close enough to the sun to incinerate everything
> > on it (granted, this is right out of the original series, but was so
> > stupid they forgot about it immediately). So ... why didn't this happen
> > LAST year? Did everything on the planet grow from scratch in the last
> > orbital period?
>
> Yes...that is why the trees only have 1 ring.

heh

> ...and yes, the very idea that all that vegetation and animal life grew
> up from scratch each season was beyond silly...especially when coupled
> with the claim that the humans could not survive even in their space ships.

Obveeus

Apr 16, 2018, 2:59:29 PM4/16/18
I'm not sure the Jupiter had anything other than normal/simple rocket
capability until the finale. The Resolute had better/borrowed tech
beyond their knowledge to fully understand, but even it didn't appear to
be able to create portholes in space to shortcut over long distances.
Only the aliens seem to have that knowledge.

>>> More likely the line was written as 'trillions of miles' and somebody
>>> decided to upgrade 'miles' to 'light years' to make it more 'science
>>> fictiony'
>>
>> probably, but I also don't think it was meant to be taken literally any
>> more than the daughter's Oreo distance comment.
>>
>>> obGodDamnYouBonnieHammer

>>> I was thinking 'wow that thing fell from orbit and still looks like a
>>> dish'
>>
>> Me too...and same goes for the rest of the chunk of spaceship next to
>> it. then, when they got trapped under it I wondered why they didn't
>> just dig a hole instead of 'blast charging' their way through a dish
>> that could withstand reentry.
>
> I was graying out by then. They sure were lucky not to be right behind
> or below where Don blew the hold, weren't they?

Either way, being inside a 'container' at that point should have blown
their eardrums at the least.

>>> Oh, and that goddamn gun. I was *so* hoping it was some sort of laser
>>> pistol, but, no, it fired bullets. So their 3D printer is *that* good,
>>> that it can make a loaded gun, with working chemical propellents?
>>
>> I was hoping early on that it would be a gun, but not have
>> bullets...since that would be the realistic result.
>>
>>> That's transmutation of elements people, unless it has huge reservoirs
>>> of stuff like sulphur to draw on. With that kind of tech you'd think
>>> they'd be able to make fuel out of anything.
>>
>> Of course, we never saw the bullets get made and it is possible that the
>> robot did that off camera since he obviously had the supplies and the
>> transmutation power within his body.
>>
>>> And you can somehow override the printer protocols to make forbidden
>>> stuff like weapons (I almost turned off the show right there) but it
>>> won't tell you who did the overriding or what it printed, just that it
>>> printed something forbidden?
>>
>> It didn't say the printed item was 'forbidden', it just said the item
>> was 'unknown'. I'm fine with the idea that the super advanced robot
>> could hack the printer.
>
> I thought she said "out of parameters" or some such, which I took to
> mean "illicit"

Originally, Daddy tried to print a gun and was denied by the printing
restrictions. I'm still not sure if what the robot printed was the same
thing Daddy was trying to print or if it was just some other design with
similar function.

> So you're thinking it was the Robot's own design, and he didn't order up
> something already on the menu?

It could have been either an original design or something in the system,
but behind the 'not allowed' firewall.

> That works, except, again, even an '80s
> fax machine keeps a copy of what it printed.

Robot clear buffer to make kid safer. Works for me. The only thing I
found annoying was that it had bullets, but even that is something the
robot could have made from its own body, I guess as he seemed to have
infinite fuel/energy.

>>> Yes. I assumed the Robot fixed the J2 leaks when he sucked out the
>>> water
>>
>> Did he suck it out or just steam it off?
>
> I have no idea. You'd think 'steam' since he had heat powers, but of
> course there's no way just heating wouldn't have boiled Judy like an
> egg, and there's no way just heating would have resulted in a functional
> Jupiter 2.

True, but just to be fair, Judy would have been killed by the Magnisium
Daddy put on her head long before the robot could kill her. The only
way around that is to assume the space suit is a *really* good heat shield.

> I mean, fuck, these things blow up if the exhaust is in
> sunlight. Imagine heating one to boiling?

Yep...all that melting of ice should have melted lots of plastic
interior and buttons and computer equipment and etc...

>>> God, it seemed to be GAINING on it. They really needed a line of dialog
>>> saying that they were keeping pace with the slower vehicle to help
>>> somehow.
>>
>> Yep. Instead, it just turned out to be pure luck that they were driving
>> along side by side to see the loose wire. A loose wire because...peril!
>
> Gasp!
>
> And why does the trailer *need* electronics anyway? For the brake
> lights?

Apparently, if the wire isn't attached, the brakes engage (somewhat)
automatically, perhaps as a safety feature to slow a runaway trailer
down? it made no sense, but...peril!

>>> Also, nobody is discussing the elephant in the room, that black hole.
>>> It's pulling the planet close enough to the sun to incinerate everything
>>> on it (granted, this is right out of the original series, but was so
>>> stupid they forgot about it immediately). So ... why didn't this happen
>>> LAST year? Did everything on the planet grow from scratch in the last
>>> orbital period?
>>
>> Yes...that is why the trees only have 1 ring.
>
> heh

No, seriously, they said it in the dialog...and it would even have made
sense, maybe, if not for the issue of higher animal life as well.

BTR1701

Apr 16, 2018, 3:45:42 PM4/16/18
Which makes zero sense.

> Man, this is more Draconian than I realized. Not only do you have to
> give up your identity, fingerprints, and DNA samples, 'those with innate
> powers must wear tracking bracelets at all times'

So apparently the Constitution doesn't apply to you if the government
determines you can do something better than most other people. Nice.

> And you can only operate in your own country, which is a problem for the
> Widow. And Thor.
>
> Ah, it says specifically, innate powers or those using tech.

So anyone with a gun or a car, then.

> But prothesis don't count (ala the Son of Coul)

So ironically the Winter Soldier would be exempt from the Accords.

> This Wiki considers Widow and Hawkeye unenhanced, but a loophole
> requires Widow to sign up if she wants to serve with The Avengers, and
> Hawkeye went to The Raft for not signing, although it doesn't say why.
>
> Man, why don't they just burn the U.N. building to the ground?

Yeah, even if you're on the 'Avengers need oversight' side of the equation,
why would anyone in their right mind want to give that oversight to the UN,
for gawd's sake?

BTR1701

Apr 16, 2018, 3:45:43 PM4/16/18
They've never portrayed her as such in the movies. She's just a bad ass
fighter with a killer ass.

David Johnston

Apr 16, 2018, 3:56:09 PM4/16/18

>>> Well, that would also be an easy dodge: "I'm neither enhanced nor a
>>> member of the Avengers. See? Our group is now called the Revengers."
>>
>> According to the movie Wiki, the accords affect enhanced individuals
>> working for government agencies such as S.H.I.E.L.D. or private
>> organizations such as The Avengers. So lone wolves are okay.
>
> Which makes zero sense.
>
>> Man, this is more Draconian than I realized. Not only do you have to
>> give up your identity, fingerprints, and DNA samples, 'those with innate
>> powers must wear tracking bracelets at all times'
>
> So apparently the Constitution doesn't apply to you if the government
> determines you can do something better than most other people. Nice.
>
>> And you can only operate in your own country, which is a problem for the
>> Widow. And Thor.
>>
>> Ah, it says specifically, innate powers or those using tech.
>
> So anyone with a gun or a car, then.

Once again, it would have to be proprietary tech.

>> But prothesis don't count (ala the Son of Coul)
>
> So ironically the Winter Soldier would be exempt from the Accords.

Proprietary tech.

anim8rfsk

Apr 16, 2018, 4:25:52 PM4/16/18
In article <pb2rqe$r6g$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
Oh yes.

> >> I was hoping early on that it would be a gun, but not have
> >> bullets...since that would be the realistic result.

> >> Of course, we never saw the bullets get made and it is possible that the
> >> robot did that off camera since he obviously had the supplies and the
> >> transmutation power within his body.

> >> It didn't say the printed item was 'forbidden', it just said the item
> >> was 'unknown'. I'm fine with the idea that the super advanced robot
> >> could hack the printer.
> >
> > I thought she said "out of parameters" or some such, which I took to
> > mean "illicit"
>
> Originally, Daddy tried to print a gun and was denied by the printing
> restrictions. I'm still not sure if what the robot printed was the same
> thing Daddy was trying to print or if it was just some other design with
> similar function.

It would have been nice to see another gun to know if it was the same
design.

The fact that all these colonists weren't allowed to print guns when
stranded on a hostile planet made me wish for their race *not* to
survive.

> > So you're thinking it was the Robot's own design, and he didn't order up
> > something already on the menu?
>
> It could have been either an original design or something in the system,
> but behind the 'not allowed' firewall.
>
> > That works, except, again, even an '80s
> > fax machine keeps a copy of what it printed.
>
> Robot clear buffer to make kid safer. Works for me. The only thing I
> found annoying was that it had bullets, but even that is something the
> robot could have made from its own body, I guess as he seemed to have
> infinite fuel/energy.

> >> Did he suck it out or just steam it off?
> >
> > I have no idea. You'd think 'steam' since he had heat powers, but of
> > course there's no way just heating wouldn't have boiled Judy like an
> > egg, and there's no way just heating would have resulted in a functional
> > Jupiter 2.
>
> True, but just to be fair, Judy would have been killed by the Magnisium
> Daddy put on her head long before the robot could kill her. The only
> way around that is to assume the space suit is a *really* good heat shield.

In which case they should have been wearing them instead of parkas.

> > I mean, fuck, these things blow up if the exhaust is in
> > sunlight. Imagine heating one to boiling?
>
> Yep...all that melting of ice should have melted lots of plastic
> interior and buttons and computer equipment and etc...

You'd think.
Seriously, the Robot needs to be transmuting free hydrogen to nitrogen
or something.

> >> Yep. Instead, it just turned out to be pure luck that they were driving
> >> along side by side to see the loose wire. A loose wire because...peril!
> >
> > Gasp!
> >
> > And why does the trailer *need* electronics anyway? For the brake
> > lights?
>
> Apparently, if the wire isn't attached, the brakes engage (somewhat)
> automatically, perhaps as a safety feature to slow a runaway trailer
> down? it made no sense, but...peril!

Yep

> >> Yes...that is why the trees only have 1 ring.
> >
> > heh
>
> No, seriously, they said it in the dialog...and it would even have made
> sense, maybe, if not for the issue of higher animal life as well.

gah

anim8rfsk

Apr 16, 2018, 4:30:27 PM4/16/18
In article <N5KdnbQJN8vCYEnH...@giganews.com>,
Who does things a human couldn't possibly do.

anim8rfsk

Apr 16, 2018, 4:32:14 PM4/16/18
In article <N5KdnbUJN8vCYEnH...@giganews.com>,
You aren't going to get me to disagree with you.

> > Man, this is more Draconian than I realized. Not only do you have to
> > give up your identity, fingerprints, and DNA samples, 'those with innate
> > powers must wear tracking bracelets at all times'
>
> So apparently the Constitution doesn't apply to you if the government
> determines you can do something better than most other people. Nice.
>
> > And you can only operate in your own country, which is a problem for the
> > Widow. And Thor.
> >
> > Ah, it says specifically, innate powers or those using tech.
>
> So anyone with a gun or a car, then.
>
> > But prothesis don't count (ala the Son of Coul)
>
> So ironically the Winter Soldier would be exempt from the Accords.

Unless we count "being 70 years old and looking 20" as 'enhanced'

> > This Wiki considers Widow and Hawkeye unenhanced, but a loophole
> > requires Widow to sign up if she wants to serve with The Avengers, and
> > Hawkeye went to The Raft for not signing, although it doesn't say why.
> >
> > Man, why don't they just burn the U.N. building to the ground?
>
> Yeah, even if you're on the 'Avengers need oversight' side of the equation,
> why would anyone in their right mind want to give that oversight to the UN,
> for gawd's sake?

Obveeus

Apr 16, 2018, 4:42:24 PM4/16/18

On 4/16/2018 4:25 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <pb2rqe$r6g$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:

LOST IN SPACE spoilers...

>> Originally, Daddy tried to print a gun and was denied by the printing
>> restrictions. I'm still not sure if what the robot printed was the same
>> thing Daddy was trying to print or if it was just some other design with
>> similar function.
>
> It would have been nice to see another gun to know if it was the same
> design.
>
> The fact that all these colonists weren't allowed to print guns when
> stranded on a hostile planet made me wish for their race *not* to
> survive.

Well, to be fair, the printer was supposed to be for use on Earth, Alpha
Centauri, and the trip in between...and mostly within the confines of
space. Given that intended use, I can see why there would be major
restrictions to prevent people from making things that poke holes in
hulls. It could be that the captain of the Resolute would have some
ability to override the settings, but not the lesser peons that each
have a Jupiter mostly for purposes of...hmmm, why are their Jupiters
exactly? The individual ships seemed to just be housing for the 'elite'
passengers. Once they got to Alpha Centauri was the plan to fly around
looking at the vast open spaces until finding a spot to settle down,
with the Jupiters serving as prairie scooners?
Definitely. The open parkas made no sense at all.

>>> I mean, fuck, these things blow up if the exhaust is in
>>> sunlight. Imagine heating one to boiling?
>>
>> Yep...all that melting of ice should have melted lots of plastic
>> interior and buttons and computer equipment and etc...
>
> You'd think.
> Seriously, the Robot needs to be transmuting free hydrogen to nitrogen
> or something.

...and I'm still not sure it is a robot...at least not in the classic
sense. The fact that it had so much self healing / regrowth capability
still might mean that it is more than just circuitry. It isn't like
they ever had a chance to examine it...or bothered to examine it when
they did have a chance. It could end up being something akin to the
Arquilian on MEN IN BLACK...a tiny creature in a mechanical suit and it
just didn't have the ability to self repair the suit so it needed signal
and wifi (or whatever) energy from its ship to help.

anim8rfsk

Apr 16, 2018, 4:56:48 PM4/16/18
In article <pb31rd$7gi$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 4/16/2018 4:25 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <pb2rqe$r6g$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> LOST IN SPACE spoilers...
>
> >> Originally, Daddy tried to print a gun and was denied by the printing
> >> restrictions. I'm still not sure if what the robot printed was the same
> >> thing Daddy was trying to print or if it was just some other design with
> >> similar function.
> >
> > It would have been nice to see another gun to know if it was the same
> > design.
> >
> > The fact that all these colonists weren't allowed to print guns when
> > stranded on a hostile planet made me wish for their race *not* to
> > survive.
>
> Well, to be fair, the printer was supposed to be for use on Earth, Alpha
> Centauri, and the trip in between...and mostly within the confines of
> space. Given that intended use, I can see why there would be major
> restrictions to prevent people from making things that poke holes in
> hulls. It could be that the captain of the Resolute would have some
> ability to override the settings, but not the lesser peons that each
> have a Jupiter mostly for purposes of...hmmm, why are their Jupiters
> exactly? The individual ships seemed to just be housing for the 'elite'
> passengers. Once they got to Alpha Centauri was the plan to fly around
> looking at the vast open spaces until finding a spot to settle down,
> with the Jupiters serving as prairie scooners?

I never figured out what the plan would have been if had they reached
Alpha Centauri. Nor did I figure out why they had to immediately deploy
the double wide trailer functions. There's like 5 fucking people in a
10,000 square foot ship that's mostly empty space. But they're clearly
intended for 5 people to live in, since they have 5 beds. Which pretty
much leaves out any plausible scenario.

Oh, and since the chariots apparently mass more than a fully fueled
Jupiter, and the Robot masses more than a chariot, I have problems with
Dr. Smith's plan of saving weight by having the Robot fly the ship
instead of John.
+1

> >> Yep...all that melting of ice should have melted lots of plastic
> >> interior and buttons and computer equipment and etc...
> >
> > You'd think.
> > Seriously, the Robot needs to be transmuting free hydrogen to nitrogen
> > or something.
>
> ...and I'm still not sure it is a robot...at least not in the classic
> sense. The fact that it had so much self healing / regrowth capability
> still might mean that it is more than just circuitry. It isn't like
> they ever had a chance to examine it...or bothered to examine it when
> they did have a chance. It could end up being something akin to the
> Arquilian on MEN IN BLACK...a tiny creature in a mechanical suit and it
> just didn't have the ability to self repair the suit so it needed signal
> and wifi (or whatever) energy from its ship to help.

Agreed. I'm not sure why they ever decided it was a Robot in the first
place.

Obveeus

Apr 16, 2018, 5:06:31 PM4/16/18
Yes...pop-outs...just for the RV Park style sight gag.

Also, the bedrooms were just chock full of stuff that wasn't tied down
in any way so I have no idea why it wasn't all destroyed in the 'landing'.

> Oh, and since the chariots apparently mass more than a fully fueled
> Jupiter, and the Robot masses more than a chariot, I have problems with
> Dr. Smith's plan of saving weight by having the Robot fly the ship
> instead of John.

Agreed...and I thought at one point with all the weight lightening to
achieve orbit talk that an argument about leaving the robot behind was
on the horizon. As it was, the robot still has to weigh many tens of
times what the two men weighed, but I think the 'Dr's plan was maybe to
have the robot fix its own ship and she was going to fly away on that.

>> ...and I'm still not sure it is a robot...at least not in the classic
>> sense. The fact that it had so much self healing / regrowth capability
>> still might mean that it is more than just circuitry. It isn't like
>> they ever had a chance to examine it...or bothered to examine it when
>> they did have a chance. It could end up being something akin to the
>> Arquilian on MEN IN BLACK...a tiny creature in a mechanical suit and it
>> just didn't have the ability to self repair the suit so it needed signal
>> and wifi (or whatever) energy from its ship to help.
>
> Agreed. I'm not sure why they ever decided it was a Robot in the first
> place.

Racism.

BTR1701

Apr 16, 2018, 6:23:26 PM4/16/18
Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

> On 4/16/2018 4:56 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>>
>> I never figured out what the plan would have been if had they reached
>> Alpha Centauri. Nor did I figure out why they had to immediately deploy
>> the double wide trailer functions. There's like 5 fucking people in a
>> 10,000 square foot ship that's mostly empty space. But they're clearly
>> intended for 5 people to live in, since they have 5 beds. Which pretty
>> much leaves out any plausible scenario.
>
> Yes...pop-outs...just for the RV Park style sight gag.
>
> Also, the bedrooms were just chock full of stuff that wasn't tied down
> in any way so I have no idea why it wasn't all destroyed in the 'landing'.

That was always a nagging annoyance on STAR TREK, too. Whenever there were
scenes in Picard or Janeway's ready rooms or the personal quarters of the
ships' crews, you'd see lots of delicate stuff, like models and fish tanks
and bookshelves full of knickknacks and whenever they're on the bridge in a
battle or being smashed about by some interstellar anomaly, it's always at
the back of my mind to wonder how Picard's fish is faring through all that
or how Chakotay's tribal relics are going to survive being thrown all over
the place, yet the next time we see them, there's no indication anything
even happened to them.

BTR1701

Apr 16, 2018, 6:23:26 PM4/16/18
That's just typical Hollywood trope action movie excess. No different than
John McClane doing things normal people can't do in the DIE HARD movies and
all the characters who do insane and impossible things in the FAST &
FURIOUS movies. Those guy aren't enhanced. They're just in a Hollywood
action movie.

BTR1701

Apr 16, 2018, 8:03:40 PM4/16/18
In article <pb2v4j$10e0$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
Not based on anything we saw or heard in the movies.

> >> But prothesis don't count (ala the Son of Coul)
> >
> > So ironically the Winter Soldier would be exempt from the Accords.
>
> Proprietary tech.

So if you make your own prosthetic, the Constitution no longer applies
to you and you have to register with the government?

David Johnston

Apr 16, 2018, 9:10:58 PM4/16/18
False. We did not see everyone with a car having to register as a
superhero.

>>> So ironically the Winter Soldier would be exempt from the Accords.
>>
>> Proprietary tech.
>
> So if you make your own prosthetic, the Constitution no longer applies
> to you and you have to register with the government?

Only if it's hugely better than the stuff the peasants wear.

Arthur Lipscomb

Apr 16, 2018, 10:18:49 PM4/16/18
He's not talking about the DEFENDERS, he's talking about the REVENGERS. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiVT1xZtcUE

David Johnston

Apr 16, 2018, 10:35:05 PM4/16/18
Those people would all be classed as "enhanced".

Obveeus

Apr 16, 2018, 10:40:10 PM4/16/18
If not 'REVENGERS', how about 'X-FORCE'?

BTR1701

Apr 16, 2018, 11:19:59 PM4/16/18
In article <pb3mgj$v5$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
Misclassed in the case of all of them save Banner.

anim8rfsk

Apr 16, 2018, 11:23:46 PM4/16/18
In article <pb338k$gch$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
Yeah, Will has shelves full of breakables, and I thought that scene was
a flashback until we saw the bat shit egg.

> > Oh, and since the chariots apparently mass more than a fully fueled
> > Jupiter, and the Robot masses more than a chariot, I have problems with
> > Dr. Smith's plan of saving weight by having the Robot fly the ship
> > instead of John.
>
> Agreed...and I thought at one point with all the weight lightening to
> achieve orbit talk that an argument about leaving the robot behind was
> on the horizon. As it was, the robot still has to weigh many tens of
> times what the two men weighed, but I think the 'Dr's plan was maybe to
> have the robot fix its own ship and she was going to fly away on that.

As it is we saw the Robot fire up his own ship and then ... he was
assaulting the chariot with Dr. Smith. And the alien blob he had to be
carrying was nowhere to be seen.

> >> ...and I'm still not sure it is a robot...at least not in the classic
> >> sense. The fact that it had so much self healing / regrowth capability
> >> still might mean that it is more than just circuitry. It isn't like
> >> they ever had a chance to examine it...or bothered to examine it when
> >> they did have a chance. It could end up being something akin to the
> >> Arquilian on MEN IN BLACK...a tiny creature in a mechanical suit and it
> >> just didn't have the ability to self repair the suit so it needed signal
> >> and wifi (or whatever) energy from its ship to help.
> >
> > Agreed. I'm not sure why they ever decided it was a Robot in the first
> > place.
>
> Racism.

heh

BTR1701

Apr 16, 2018, 11:24:53 PM4/16/18
In article <pb3his$1q3f$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
David Johnston <davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2018-04-16 6:06 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

> > In article <pb2v4j$10e0$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
> > David Johnston <davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Once again, it would have to be proprietary tech.
> >
> > Not based on anything we saw or heard in the movies.
>
> False. We did not see everyone with a car having to register as a
> superhero.

That doesn't automatically equate to a 'proprietary tech' requirement.
It could as easily mean the statute was poorly written with little
thought to possible unintended consequences.

> >> Proprietary tech.
> >
> > So if you make your own prosthetic, the Constitution no longer applies
> > to you and you have to register with the government?

> Only if it's hugely better than the stuff the peasants wear.

Not too many peasants get prosthetics at all.

And where's the legal basis for stripping people of their constitutional
rights? I mean, are we to assume they've somehow managed to pass an
amendment to the Constitution declaring enhanced people outside of its
protections?

If not, then the government has gone rogue and is acting illegally, and
there's now no question which side is correct: Cap's.

If so, then the government has lost all moral authority and there's now
no question which side is correct: Cap's.

anim8rfsk

Apr 16, 2018, 11:42:07 PM4/16/18
In article <atropos-1D9ECD...@news.giganews.com>,
And friends of enhanced people.

> If not, then the government has gone rogue and is acting illegally, and
> there's now no question which side is correct: Cap's.
>
> If so, then the government has lost all moral authority and there's now
> no question which side is correct: Cap's.

But Cap would be on their side, and Tony wouldn't.

Dimensional Traveler

Apr 17, 2018, 1:27:40 AM4/17/18
Those people would all be classed as "bug-fuck crazy" (going by the
Deadpool 2 trailer).

instinct are running screaming.

David Johnston

Apr 17, 2018, 1:43:59 AM4/17/18
On 2018-04-16 9:27 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <pb3his$1q3f$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
> David Johnston <davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2018-04-16 6:06 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> Not based on anything we saw or heard in the movies.
>>
>> False. We did not see everyone with a car having to register as a
>> superhero.
>
> That doesn't automatically equate to a 'proprietary tech' requirement.
> It could as easily mean the statute was poorly written with little
> thought to possible unintended consequences.

Then show me where the unintended consequences are being demonstrated
rather than just assuming they exist. We don't actually know that the
treaty and the laws put in place to act on the treat didn't contain a
definition for "enhanced". The way it is being applied in the show says
they do have a definition that boils down to "are you equipped to be a
superhero?" Yes, what we are being shown violates people's
constitutional rights. But motivated by that you guys are just making
things up (like for example claiming that Ant-Man was imprisoned for not
registering). The point of the treaty is to reassure governments about
the existence of people who all on their lonesome can defeat platoons or
companies or even battalions of bog-standard troops. If you don't have
that ability, if you just have a gun, or a car, or a crude prosthesis,
then they don't consider that to qualify.

>>> So if you make your own prosthetic, the Constitution no longer applies
>>> to you and you have to register with the government?
>
>> Only if it's hugely better than the stuff the peasants wear.
>
> Not too many peasants get prosthetics at all.
>
> And where's the legal basis for stripping people of their constitutional
> rights? I mean, are we to assume they've somehow managed to pass an
> amendment to the Constitution declaring enhanced people outside of its
> protections?

They are doubtless invoking the spirit of Hirabayashi v. United States.

> If not, then the government has gone rogue and is acting illegally, and
> there's now no question which side is correct: Cap's.

Well duh. He's Captain America. Just putting him on a side is a big
"This side is right" flag.

Obveeus

Apr 17, 2018, 8:15:58 AM4/17/18
Sure, because 'risk the whole world to save your evil friend' is always
the right thing to do.

BTR1701

Apr 17, 2018, 10:29:01 AM4/17/18
In article <pb41is$eif$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
David Johnston <davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2018-04-16 9:27 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> > In article <pb3his$1q3f$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
> > David Johnston <davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> False. We did not see everyone with a car having to register as a
> >> superhero.
> >
> > That doesn't automatically equate to a 'proprietary tech' requirement.
> > It could as easily mean the statute was poorly written with little
> > thought to possible unintended consequences.
>
> Then show me where the unintended consequences are being demonstrated
> rather than just assuming they exist. We don't actually know that the
> treaty and the laws put in place to act on the treat didn't contain a
> definition for "enhanced".

I'm sure it did, which is why I question how Natasha and Clint fall
under it, since they're not enhanced in any way, except through natural
talent, and if anyone with natural talent for something is now
"enhanced", such that they have to register with and be tracked and
surveilled by the government at all times, I'd say the US government has
become quite fascist and should rightly have been the next Big Bad the
Avengers needed to address.

> >> Only if it's hugely better than the stuff the peasants wear.
> >
> > Not too many peasants get prosthetics at all.
> >
> > And where's the legal basis for stripping people of their constitutional
> > rights? I mean, are we to assume they've somehow managed to pass an
> > amendment to the Constitution declaring enhanced people outside of its
> > protections?
>
> They are doubtless invoking the spirit of Hirabayashi v. United States.

Which, along with Korematsu, the Supreme Court has made clear no longer
finds validity in American jurisprudence.

BTR1701

Apr 17, 2018, 10:30:26 AM4/17/18
In article <pb4ohr$oks$3...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
He wasn't evil any more than a gun is evil. It can be used to good or
bad depending on who picks it up.

Barnes was a weapon without free will.

anim8rfsk

Apr 17, 2018, 10:51:05 AM4/17/18
In article <atropos-2D336A...@news.giganews.com>,
Ever see The Lathe of Heaven?

BTR1701

Apr 17, 2018, 10:56:01 AM4/17/18
In article <anim8rfsk-F0F96...@news.easynews.com>,
No, never heard of it.

suzeeq

Apr 17, 2018, 11:55:18 AM4/17/18
Did you read the book?

anim8rfsk

Apr 17, 2018, 12:19:56 PM4/17/18
In article <atropos-BA4440...@news.giganews.com>,
It postulates a future where everyone is made equal by handicapping
their betters. So if you're a fast runner, you're hobbled. If you have
good eyesight, you have to wear thick glasses.

David Johnston

Apr 17, 2018, 2:41:13 PM4/17/18
I don't know where they do or not. The reason why they were in the shit
was because they fought on Cap's side, making their status irrelevant.

>>> And where's the legal basis for stripping people of their constitutional
>>> rights? I mean, are we to assume they've somehow managed to pass an
>>> amendment to the Constitution declaring enhanced people outside of its
>>> protections?
>>
>> They are doubtless invoking the spirit of Hirabayashi v. United States.
>
> Which, along with Korematsu, the Supreme Court has made clear no longer
> finds validity in American jurisprudence.

Really. When did it do that? And would they stick to their guns after
there was a sudden plague of superpowers? Of course the reality is that
on the Cinematic Universe timeline the legal challenge to the
constitutionality of what was being done would still be working its way
through the courts.

BTR1701

Apr 17, 2018, 6:44:22 PM4/17/18
I don't have the cite at hand. Since we haven't had any mass race-based
internships of entire populations since then, it wasn't a case directly on
point, but the Court felt strongly enough about making it clear that
Korematsu no longer has any precedential value that it went out of its way
to say so. However, the Court has definitely disavowed Korematsu.

> And would they stick to their guns after there was a sudden plague of superpowers?

Be kinda hard not to without both opening the precedential door to turning
the Bill of Rights into a mere Bill of Privileges and losing all its
credibility.

> Of course the reality is that
> on the Cinematic Universe timeline the legal challenge to the
> constitutionality of what was being done would still be working its way
> through the courts.

Nah, something as serious as an attempt by the government to strip an
entire class of people of their constitutional rights (plus anyone who
merely associates with them) would qualify for an emergency interlocutory
appeal directly to the Circuit Court of Appeals, if not the Supreme Court
itself.

BTR1701

Apr 17, 2018, 8:34:43 PM4/17/18
In article <anim8rfsk-BD717...@news.easynews.com>,
Yep. That sounds like pretty much where we're headed.

I remember reading about some national park (I think it was Yosemite)
where they were getting demands to make the trails up the rock faces
handicap accessible and when the activists were told there's literally
no way to do that, the response was that the trails should then be
closed off to everyone because it's not fair for legged people to be
able to do something enjoyable that wheeled people can't.

anim8rfsk

Apr 17, 2018, 10:45:14 PM4/17/18
In article <atropos-33BE52...@news.giganews.com>,
BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

> In article <anim8rfsk-BD717...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <atropos-BA4440...@news.giganews.com>,
> > BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

> > > No, never heard of it.
> >
> > It postulates a future where everyone is made equal by handicapping
> > their betters. So if you're a fast runner, you're hobbled. If you have
> > good eyesight, you have to wear thick glasses.
>
> Yep. That sounds like pretty much where we're headed.
>
> I remember reading about some national park (I think it was Yosemite)
> where they were getting demands to make the trails up the rock faces
> handicap accessible and when the activists were told there's literally
> no way to do that, the response was that the trails should then be
> closed off to everyone because it's not fair for legged people to be
> able to do something enjoyable that wheeled people can't.

Yep. We've had that happened here, and the story goes that that's what
has forced some ride closures at Disneyland. The castle walk through,
which couldn't possibly be made handicap accessible, came up with a
clever solution; they built a 3D walkthrough of it, and if you can't
clamber up and down stairs, you can sit in the base and watch.

Oh! I remember where I first saw this first hand. Boat tours. A
couple of them had to have areas that everybody couldn't get to
restricted, including, IIRC, FDR's yacht.

Connor

Apr 18, 2018, 1:05:44 PM4/18/18
NO NO NO NO NO!!! you're thinking of Kurt Vonegut, Lathe of Heaven is Ursula Leguin and is NOTHING like what you said!!!

Connor

Apr 18, 2018, 1:09:39 PM4/18/18
Wrong! There are lots of rides at Disneyland that ppl have to get out of wheelchairs, they diddn't close them down. They have a wheelchair video of the submarines like the castle. But the other rides didn't close.

Jim G.

Apr 18, 2018, 3:45:09 PM4/18/18
BTR1701 sent the following on 04/17/2018 at 07:37 PM:
If nothing else, I'm sure that they appreciated the opportunity to feel
guilty about something.

"Oh, my god. That's tragic. It's like a Hallmark movie. But with
tentacles." -- Dean Winchester, SUPERNATURAL

BTR1701

Apr 18, 2018, 5:10:21 PM4/18/18
In article <pb8782$og$1...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> BTR1701 sent the following on 04/17/2018 at 07:37 PM:
> > In article <anim8rfsk-BD717...@news.easynews.com>,
> > anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> >> It postulates a future where everyone is made equal by handicapping
> >> their betters. So if you're a fast runner, you're hobbled. If you have
> >> good eyesight, you have to wear thick glasses.
> >
> > Yep. That sounds like pretty much where we're headed.
> >
> > I remember reading about some national park (I think it was Yosemite)
> > where they were getting demands to make the trails up the rock faces
> > handicap accessible and when the activists were told there's literally
> > no way to do that, the response was that the trails should then be
> > closed off to everyone because it's not fair for legged people to be
> > able to do something enjoyable that wheeled people can't.
>
> If nothing else, I'm sure that they appreciated the opportunity to feel
> guilty about something.

Yeah, but only if you're predisposed to that mindset. I wouldn't have
felt guilty at all, which I'm sure would have further enraged the
activists.

Ubiquitous

Apr 19, 2018, 5:18:15 AM4/19/18
atr...@mac.com wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>> BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

>>> No, never heard of it.
>>
>> It postulates a future where everyone is made equal by handicapping
>> their betters. So if you're a fast runner, you're hobbled. If you have
>> good eyesight, you have to wear thick glasses.
>
>Yep. That sounds like pretty much where we're headed.

Fer sure.

BTW, I am pretty sure The Lathe of heaven was about a guy whose dreams
reshaped reality and was made into a TV movie on PBS or a public access
channel.

Ubiquitous

Apr 19, 2018, 7:45:50 AM4/19/18
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>>> It postulates a future where everyone is made equal by handicapping
>>> their betters. So if you're a fast runner, you're hobbled. If you have
>>> good eyesight, you have to wear thick glasses.
>>
>> Yep. That sounds like pretty much where we're headed.
>>
>> I remember reading about some national park (I think it was Yosemite)
>> where they were getting demands to make the trails up the rock faces
>> handicap accessible and when the activists were told there's literally
>> no way to do that, the response was that the trails should then be
>> closed off to everyone because it's not fair for legged people to be
>> able to do something enjoyable that wheeled people can't.
>
>Yep. We've had that happened here, and the story goes that that's what
>has forced some ride closures at Disneyland. The castle walk through,
>which couldn't possibly be made handicap accessible, came up with a
>clever solution; they built a 3D walkthrough of it, and if you can't
>clamber up and down stairs, you can sit in the base and watch.
>
>Oh! I remember where I first saw this first hand. Boat tours. A
>couple of them had to have areas that everybody couldn't get to
>restricted, including, IIRC, FDR's yacht.

Wait, what? FDR's yacht wasn't wheelchair accesssable?

anim8rfsk

Apr 19, 2018, 10:26:20 AM4/19/18
In article <pb9vhb$59n$7...@dont-email.me>,
There was a small hidden elevator on it, but IIRC it either didn't work
any more and/or didn't come up to current ADA specs.

suzeeq

Apr 19, 2018, 10:26:47 AM4/19/18
Didn't need to be, he could get around with crutches.

anim8rfsk

Apr 19, 2018, 10:26:52 AM4/19/18
In article <urqdnQWGBKlSw0XH...@giganews.com>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> atr...@mac.com wrote:
> > anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> >> It postulates a future where everyone is made equal by handicapping
> >> their betters. So if you're a fast runner, you're hobbled. If you have
> >> good eyesight, you have to wear thick glasses.
> >
> >Yep. That sounds like pretty much where we're headed.
>
> Fer sure.
>
> BTW, I am pretty sure The Lathe of heaven was about a guy whose dreams
> reshaped reality and was made into a TV movie on PBS or a public access
> channel.

It's a novel, but, yeah, there was a pretty lame PBS version.

Ubiquitous

Apr 19, 2018, 10:29:56 AM4/19/18
True, it wasn't exactly public knowledge at the time.

Ubiquitous

Apr 19, 2018, 10:30:58 AM4/19/18
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>> atr...@mac.com wrote:

>>>Yep. That sounds like pretty much where we're headed.
>>
>> Fer sure.
>>
>> BTW, I am pretty sure The Lathe of heaven was about a guy whose dreams
>> reshaped reality and was made into a TV movie on PBS or a public access
>> channel.
>
>It's a novel, but, yeah, there was a pretty lame PBS version.

One of Raul Julia's first acting gigs, i think.

Connor

Apr 19, 2018, 1:48:38 PM4/19/18
On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 2:18:15 AM UTC-7, Ubiquitous wrote:
> atr...@mac.com wrote:
> > anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> >> It postulates a future where everyone is made equal by handicapping
> >> their betters. So if you're a fast runner, you're hobbled. If you have
> >> good eyesight, you have to wear thick glasses.
> >
> >Yep. That sounds like pretty much where we're headed.
>
> Fer sure.
>
> BTW, I am pretty sure The Lathe of heaven was about a guy whose dreams
> reshaped reality and was made into a TV movie on PBS or a public access
> channel.

Yes didn't any body see my other posting!? The handicapped one was Kurt Vonnegut, not Lathe of Heaven!!

Lathe of Heaven is a really good book by Ursula Leguin and there was a great film of it on PBS that finally got released a few years ago (I think they had trouble b'cuz of the Beatles music).

Obveeus

Apr 20, 2018, 8:56:18 AM4/20/18

On 4/15/2018 10:50 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> Ant-Man (3D blu-ray) Paul Rudd stars as a small time criminal with a
> heart of gold who is given a suit which allows him to fight crime by
> shrinking.  I think I might have liked this a lot more than last time I
> watched it.  It was just a lot of fun.
>

> Captain America: Civil War (3D blu-ray) When the world finally gets fed
> up with getting caught in the Avengers collateral damage the UN demands
> the Avengers submit to global authority.

Arthur...I found your kindred spirit:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2018/04/20/rewatching-18-marvel-cinematic-universe-movies-before-avengers-infinity-war/520139002/

You'll have to fight off her fiance, though, to win her heart and
movie-going mind.

Jim G.

Apr 20, 2018, 5:21:35 PM4/20/18
BTR1701 sent the following on 04/18/2018 at 04:12 PM:
Which those types usually are. And they want us *all* to play a role in
assuaging their guilt. Because we should *all* feel guilty about it,
even if they're the only ones decent enough to actually feel it. The
rest of us are too busy being insensitive poopyheads.

> I wouldn't have
> felt guilty at all, which I'm sure would have further enraged the
> activists.

That's because you're a mean and terrible person.

Arthur Lipscomb

Apr 22, 2018, 8:49:00 PM4/22/18
I just finished off my marathon yesterday. :-) It seemed really
daunting at the start but once I got going, it was much easier and
faster than I originally thought it would be.

Arthur Lipscomb

May 5, 2018, 4:29:33 PM5/5/18
You're thinking of Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut. They made a TV
movie about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron_(film)

Lathe of heaven was written by Ursula K. Le Guin. I think we were
discussing it a few months ago when she passed away. They've made two
movies of it now. I've been hoping to see one of them again but they
never air. There is a scene in Lathe of heaven where everyone is made
the same, but it's through magic. Harrison is where the government
artificially forces everyone to be equal.

anim8rfsk

May 5, 2018, 5:11:08 PM5/5/18
In article <pcl47a$4lo$1...@dont-email.me>,
Thanks!