Matt Lauer out at NBC

shawn

Nov 29, 2017, 7:15:36 AM11/29/17
Breaking news that Andy Lack has terminated Matt Lauer after an
employee came forward with a report of inappropriate sexual behavior.
Supposedly there are no other complaints at this time but they suspect
there may be more to come.

Quite a surprise announcement and what seems to be a very quick action
on the basis of one complaint. I'm going to assume they had more to go
on than just the employee's complaint.

FPP

Nov 29, 2017, 7:58:30 AM11/29/17
Good! Clean house.
--
"Donald Trump tweeted earlier today, 'It is so nice that the shackles
have been taken off me...' The only thing that ever shackled you was the

Obveeus

Nov 29, 2017, 9:11:15 AM11/29/17
In a way, I hope you are correct because termination someone over one
complaint seems like an overly harsh reaction. Hopefully the details
will shed more light on this situation (both in terms of what the one
complaint entails and in terms of the likelihood of there being others).

Rhino

Nov 29, 2017, 11:46:25 AM11/29/17
Apparently, these highly paid employees are not union employees, like
high school teachers. I remember seeing a John Stossel report on
education in which he showed viewers the process for dismissing a
teacher. It was a flowchart as complex as any I've seen for complex
computer programs and detailed umpteen different steps that had to be
taken before an employee could be canned. The process took YEARS to
complete and, in the meantime, teachers who had caused major issues got
assigned to "rubber rooms", of which there were several BUILDINGS full,
where they essentially just sat around and read the newspaper at full
pay. Somehow, the union had succeeded in inflicting these preposterous
rules on schools, making teachers virtually impossible to fire, not
matter what they had done.

The downside of making the big bucks, as these TV personalities do, is
that apparently there is little if any process at all: someone makes an
accusation and you're gone pretty much instantly. Did Lauer even get a
chance to tell his side of the story? Was there ANY kind of
investigation into the accusations against him? Or was the accuser's
word just accepted without any evidence whatever?

We had an incident here a few years back where some female high school
seniors accused a male teacher of sexual impropriety. I don't remember
the details but I *think* the accusation was that he had propositioned s
the girls via email. The girls brought the accusation to the principal
who called the police. The teacher was suspended and had serious
criminal charges facing him. He swore he'd done absolutely nothing to
anyone. But these were the days when "women would never lie about such a
thing" was the prevailing "wisdom". Everyone turned against him and
refused to believe him, even his wife. He sunk into depression and
despair and finally killed himself because no one would believe him.
Only after his death was reported did the girls come forward and admit
they'd made the whole thing up! I never heard if the girls received any
punishment at all but the teacher received the Ultimate Punishment
despite having done nothing at all.

I sure hope Lauer isn't as innocent as this teacher was!

--
Rhino

anim8rfsk

Nov 29, 2017, 11:53:52 AM11/29/17
In article <ovmf60$hns$2...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
re the employee: what was his name?

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

RichA

Nov 29, 2017, 12:14:52 PM11/29/17
It's about getting rid of people who are costing you too much money (salary). Happens in companies all the time.

Obveeus

Nov 29, 2017, 12:29:47 PM11/29/17
No details yet on gender or on type of 'sexual inappropriateness. At
this point, it could be anything from rape to Lauer dropping his pants
in a hotel room, revealing his bare boxer shorts, and asking the person
if they'd like to stay awhile.

anim8rfsk

Nov 29, 2017, 1:08:39 PM11/29/17
In article <ovmqq8$adt$3...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
I suppose his being the father of the Lesser Natalie Morales' kids
didn't help any.

bruce2...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2017, 1:19:29 PM11/29/17
What makes you think that there was just 'one' complaint. Even so, when you are a multi-million dollar guy around lots of poor college girl interns, you'd better be like Jesus or Ghandi or somebody, because you're history.
Because you don't know who's playing temptress, who doesn't need the money, who does, who's playing gold-digger, who's just joking, who's just trying to be home-wrecker, who's looking for leverage and whoever else is what...

Michael OConnor

Nov 29, 2017, 1:52:42 PM11/29/17
Any word yet on who will replace Lauer at Today? Until a permanent replacement is found, my guess is Brian Williams.

Rhino

Nov 29, 2017, 2:22:22 PM11/29/17
Or maybe some simple flirting that someone in today's hypersensitive
environment found unconscionable.

--
Rhino

Rhino

Nov 29, 2017, 2:25:00 PM11/29/17
On 2017-11-29 1:52 PM, Michael OConnor wrote:
> Any word yet on who will replace Lauer at Today? Until a permanent replacement is found, my guess is Brian Williams.

I wonder if The Powers That Be consider Lyin' Brian to be suitably
chastised over his previous sins?

I'm betting they just play it safe and hire some obscure individual that
ticks a bunch of diversity boxes in the hopes that this will buy them
some forgiveness.

--
Rhino

anim8rfsk

Nov 29, 2017, 2:31:31 PM11/29/17
In article <362c10f6-4a5b-45b0...@googlegroups.com>,
Michael OConnor <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote:

> Any word yet on who will replace Lauer at Today? Until a permanent
> replacement is found, my guess is Brian Williams.

from The Twitter:

Amy
(@RosewoodGirlz)
Matt Lauer Allegedly Assaulted ‘Today’ Show Staffer In Sochi, Stories
Leaking About Multiple Affairs www.inquisitr.com/46529… #Olympics
#NatalieMorales

Elizabeth Wagmeister
(@EWagmeister)
At @Variety, @RaminSetoodeh & I had been working on a Matt Lauer story
for months and NBC was aware. There are multiple women we've spoken to
with far-ranging accusations against Lauer. The power of journalism has
never been more evident with this cultural change.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/harvey-weinstein-scandal/nbc-news-fires
-today-anchor-matt-lauer-after-sexual-misconduct-n824831

"Today" co-anchors Savannah Guthrie and Hoda Kotb were emotional as they
announced Lauer's firing Wednesday, telling viewers at the top of the
live broadcast that they were "heartbroken" over his departure but
didn't yet know all of the details.

In a memo to employees sent Wednesday morning, NBC News Chairman Andrew
Lack said the complaint, which was made by a female colleague of
Lauer's, prompted a serious review and represented a "clear violation of
our company's standards."

Lack said it was the first complaint lodged against Lauer, 59, for his
behavior since he took over as anchor of the show in 1997, but there was
"reason to believe" it may not have been an isolated incident.

Ari Wilkenfeld, who said he's the lawyer for the woman who accused
Lauer, said in a statement that he and his client met Monday evening for
several hours with representatives from NBC's Human Resources and Legal
Department. He said she would not be identified.

Capricorne

Nov 29, 2017, 2:32:34 PM11/29/17
shawn wrote :
He probably had complaints before. Perhaps NBC has paid some women
before. This last one was too much.

Obveeus

Nov 29, 2017, 2:36:26 PM11/29/17

On 11/29/2017 2:31 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <362c10f6-4a5b-45b0...@googlegroups.com>,
> Michael OConnor <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Any word yet on who will replace Lauer at Today? Until a permanent
>> replacement is found, my guess is Brian Williams.
>
> from The Twitter:
>
> Amy
> (@RosewoodGirlz)
> Matt Lauer Allegedly Assaulted ‘Today’ Show Staffer In Sochi, Stories
> Leaking About Multiple Affairs www.inquisitr.com/46529… #Olympics
> #NatalieMorales
>
> Elizabeth Wagmeister
> (@EWagmeister)
> At @Variety, @RaminSetoodeh & I had been working on a Matt Lauer story
> for months and NBC was aware. There are multiple women we've spoken to
> with far-ranging accusations against Lauer. The power of journalism has
> never been more evident with this cultural change.
>

> https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/harvey-weinstein-scandal/nbc-news-fires
> -today-anchor-matt-lauer-after-sexual-misconduct-n824831
>
> "Today" co-anchors Savannah Guthrie and Hoda Kotb were emotional as they
> announced Lauer's firing Wednesday, telling viewers at the top of the
> live broadcast that they were "heartbroken" over his departure but
> didn't yet know all of the details.
>
> In a memo to employees sent Wednesday morning, NBC News Chairman Andrew
> Lack said the complaint, which was made by a female colleague of
> Lauer's, prompted a serious review and represented a "clear violation of
> our company's standards."
>
> Lack said it was the first complaint lodged against Lauer, 59, for his
> behavior since he took over as anchor of the show in 1997, but there was
> "reason to believe" it may not have been an isolated incident.
>
> Ari Wilkenfeld, who said he's the lawyer for the woman who accused
> Lauer, said in a statement that he and his client met Monday evening for
> several hours with representatives from NBC's Human Resources and Legal
> Department. He said she would not be identified.

So, one complaint...but a large amount of worry that there could end up
being more because multiple news outlets were pushing forward with
expose articles. Presumably NBC actually has the details on the one
complaint (submitted via a lawyer that isn't looking for money wink
wink) and not just the vague wording that the public is getting.

A Friend

Nov 29, 2017, 2:38:16 PM11/29/17
In article <362c10f6-4a5b-45b0...@googlegroups.com>,
Michael OConnor <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote:

> Any word yet on who will replace Lauer at Today? Until a permanent
> replacement is found, my guess is Brian Williams.

I don't think they'll bring Williams back to the mothership, at least
not yet. I think it'll be Willie Geist.

Obveeus

Nov 29, 2017, 2:39:54 PM11/29/17
The safe bet might just be to install another female under the belief
that only men can sexually harass. (Mariah Carey not withstanding).

anim8rfsk

Nov 29, 2017, 2:46:42 PM11/29/17
In article <ovn27o$757$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 11/29/2017 2:31 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <362c10f6-4a5b-45b0...@googlegroups.com>,
> > Michael OConnor <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Any word yet on who will replace Lauer at Today? Until a permanent
> >> replacement is found, my guess is Brian Williams.
> >
> > from The Twitter:
> >
> > Amy
> > (@RosewoodGirlz)
> > Matt Lauer Allegedly Assaulted âέςTodayâέΣ Show Staffer In Sochi, Stories
> > Leaking About Multiple Affairs www.inquisitr.com/46529âέ¦ #Olympics
One three year old complaint that is and is going to remain anonymous.

Obveeus

Nov 29, 2017, 2:50:37 PM11/29/17

On 11/29/2017 2:46 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <ovn27o$757$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/29/2017 2:31 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>>> from The Twitter:
>>>
>>> Amy
>>> (@RosewoodGirlz)
>>> Matt Lauer Allegedly Assaulted âέςTodayâέΣ Show Staffer In Sochi, Stories
>>> Leaking About Multiple Affairs www.inquisitr.com/46529âέ¦ #Olympics
Is it a 3 year old complaint or a recent complaint about an event from 3
years ago? I'm guessing the latter. Meanwhile, the chances of this
remaining anonymous seem slim.

anim8rfsk

Nov 29, 2017, 3:45:37 PM11/29/17
In article <ovn328$c62$2...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 11/29/2017 2:46 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <ovn27o$757$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> > wrote:

I agree with both those points.

Obveeus

Nov 29, 2017, 3:48:47 PM11/29/17

On 11/29/2017 3:42 PM, super70s wrote:
> In article <ovn2e7$757$3...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/29/2017 2:38 PM, A Friend wrote:

>>> I don't think they'll bring Williams back to the mothership, at least
>>> not yet. I think it'll be Willie Geist.
>
> If he ever horns in on Lawrence O'Donnell's time slot I'm going to make
> a point of not watching him, right now I can tolerate him where he's at
> (when nothing else is on).
>
> As for Lauer, he's been a staple in the NY gossips for years for
> cheating on his wife, presumably with Morales and other women he met at
> work, and I'm surprised this didn't come to a head until now.

Have we now decided that 'cheating on a spouse' is grounds for
termination? Doesn't that blanket cover something like 50% of married
people?

mog...@hotmail.com

Nov 29, 2017, 3:57:46 PM11/29/17
Its from payouts to the women. They'll just get another highly-paid host.

Obveeus

Nov 29, 2017, 4:29:43 PM11/29/17

On 11/29/2017 4:18 PM, super70s wrote:
> In article <ovn6fc$6fo$2...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> Maybe NBC didn't appreciate him using them as his private harem, where
> the women would keep silent because of his enormous power there.

Anyone who believes that interoffice relationships always work in ways
that hinder advancement rather than expedite it is being foolish.
Meanwhile, it most cases, it likely does neither.

A Friend

Nov 29, 2017, 4:33:30 PM11/29/17
In article
<super70s-5F89C3...@reader02.eternal-september.org>,
super70s <supe...@super70s.invalid> wrote:

> In article <ovn2e7$757$3...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 11/29/2017 2:38 PM, A Friend wrote:

> > > I don't think they'll bring Williams back to the mothership, at least
> > > not yet. I think it'll be Willie Geist.
>
> If he ever horns in on Lawrence O'Donnell's time slot I'm going to make
> a point of not watching him, right now I can tolerate him where he's at
> (when nothing else is on).
>
> As for Lauer, he's been a staple in the NY gossips for years for
> cheating on his wife, presumably with Morales and other women he met at
> work, and I'm surprised this didn't come to a head until now.

Cheating on your wife with willing partners is one thing, and (as you
imply) everybody knew about Lauer's cheating. Cheating on your wife by
assaulting your subordinates is another thing entirely, and that's the
thing that's finally become clear. It may have been talked about
inside the building, but here we are in the light of day.

A source at the AP tells me there's some suspicion that NBC waited
until after the Lauer-anchored Macy's parade to fire him.

Obveeus

Nov 29, 2017, 4:40:54 PM11/29/17

On 11/29/2017 4:33 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article
> <super70s-5F89C3...@reader02.eternal-september.org>,
> super70s <supe...@super70s.invalid> wrote:
>
>> In article <ovn2e7$757$3...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
>> wrote:

>> If he ever horns in on Lawrence O'Donnell's time slot I'm going to make
>> a point of not watching him, right now I can tolerate him where he's at
>> (when nothing else is on).
>>
>> As for Lauer, he's been a staple in the NY gossips for years for
>> cheating on his wife, presumably with Morales and other women he met at
>> work, and I'm surprised this didn't come to a head until now.
>

> Cheating on your wife with willing partners is one thing, and (as you
> imply) everybody knew about Lauer's cheating. Cheating on your wife by
> assaulting your subordinates is another thing entirely, and that's the
> thing that's finally become clear.

I don't know about it being clear (as in we do not know if it is true),
but it is the accusation that has resulted in his being fired.

> It may have been talked about
> inside the building, but here we are in the light of day.

I do wonder if the Olympic event is something that was talked about
inside the hallways of NBC or if no one knew about it at all. Given how
shocked people seem to be, it might be that even the rumor wasn't common
knowledge.

> A source at the AP tells me there's some suspicion that NBC waited
> until after the Lauer-anchored Macy's parade to fire him.

They didn't want to let all the hot air out of the event?

Side note: The MACY'S THANKSGIVING DAY PARADE was the highest
(non-sporting event) rated TV show this season so far.

Nancy2

Nov 29, 2017, 4:50:52 PM11/29/17
I thought the complaint was "inappropriate behavior," not "sexual inappropriateness."

That takes care of PBS, CBS, FOX and NBC. Who will fall at ABC?

N.

BTR1701

Nov 29, 2017, 5:03:53 PM11/29/17
In article <ovmo8s$nt9$1...@dont-email.me>,
Rhino <no_offlin...@example.com> wrote:

> On 2017-11-29 7:15 AM, shawn wrote:

> > Breaking news that Andy Lack has terminated Matt Lauer after an
> > employee came forward with a report of inappropriate sexual behavior.
> > Supposedly there are no other complaints at this time but they suspect
> > there may be more to come.

> > Quite a surprise announcement and what seems to be a very quick action
> > on the basis of one complaint. I'm going to assume they had more to go
> > on than just the employee's complaint.
> >
> Apparently, these highly paid employees are not union employees, like
> high school teachers. I remember seeing a John Stossel report on
> education in which he showed viewers the process for dismissing a
> teacher. It was a flowchart as complex as any I've seen for complex
> computer programs and detailed umpteen different steps that had to be
> taken before an employee could be canned.

A couple of years ago, here in L.A., we had a teacher who was caught
feeding his kids cookies frosted with his own semen.

They couldn't fire him. LAUSD actually had to pay him a huge amount of
money to get him to agree to voluntarily quit. He still had to go to
prison, but he'll be rather wealthy when he gets out.

I have to wonder if the district would actually be required to keep a
teacher on the payroll who is serving ten years in the penitentiary?

> The downside of making the big bucks, as these TV personalities do, is
> that apparently there is little if any process at all: someone makes an
> accusation and you're gone pretty much instantly.

There's usually a clause that says if they fire you, they have to pay
off the balance of your contract. So Lauer may be fired, but NBC might
still be on the hook for whatever's left on his $40 million contract.

BTR1701

Nov 29, 2017, 5:04:35 PM11/29/17
In article <anim8rfsk-94D28...@news.easynews.com>,
So to your room.

Ian J. Ball

Nov 29, 2017, 5:13:22 PM11/29/17
That would be a deeply, incredibly cynical move on NBC's part, if true.

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 29, 2017, 5:30:45 PM11/29/17
Lauer must have been contracted for.

moviePig

Nov 29, 2017, 5:32:04 PM11/29/17
On 11/29/2017 2:24 PM, Rhino wrote:
> On 2017-11-29 1:52 PM, Michael OConnor wrote:
>> Any word yet on who will replace Lauer at Today?  Until a permanent
>> replacement is found, my guess is Brian Williams.
>>
> I wonder if The Powers That Be consider Lyin' Brian to be suitably
> chastised over his previous sins?
>
> I'm betting they just play it safe and hire some obscure individual that
> ticks a bunch of diversity boxes in the hopes that this will buy them
> some forgiveness.

Forgiveness for what, not policing dressing-rooms?

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

BTR1701

Nov 29, 2017, 5:48:43 PM11/29/17
In article <13803f07-792d-476a...@googlegroups.com>,
"Ian J. Ball" <ijb...@mac.com> wrote:

It's hilarious in retrospect how often during the parade they
congratulated Lauer on the length of his tenure and the number of
parades he'd hosted, all the while the powers knew it was his last.

moviePig

Nov 29, 2017, 6:51:22 PM11/29/17
On 11/29/2017 6:21 PM, super70s wrote:

> I don't doubt that at all, it would have been a huge downer for that
> highly watched event.
>
>>> That would be a deeply, incredibly cynical move on NBC's part, if true.
>>
>> It's hilarious in retrospect how often during the parade they
>> congratulated Lauer on the length of his tenure and the number of
>> parades he'd hosted, all the while the powers knew it was his last.
>
> They'll cut their losses, having someone with a cloud over him like
> Lauer would surely hurt the Today show ratings.

Well, at first that cloud would send ratings skyward...

FPP

Nov 29, 2017, 7:16:58 PM11/29/17
Ummm.. no. Whipping out one's dick at the office is a little much.

So is buying a sex toy for a co-worker, and then telling them how you'd
like it used on them.

--
"We have to accept that the winner of this election was a Washington
outsider who no one thought had a shot at running this country: Vladimir

anim8rfsk

Nov 29, 2017, 7:32:50 PM11/29/17
In article <13803f07-792d-476a...@googlegroups.com>,
"Ian J. Ball" <ijb...@mac.com> wrote:

And do you doubt it for some reason?

anim8rfsk

Nov 29, 2017, 7:33:36 PM11/29/17
In article <atropos-B9966D...@news.giganews.com>,
No shooting the messenger!

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 29, 2017, 8:24:48 PM11/29/17
shawn <nanof...@notformailgmail.com> wrote:

>Breaking news that Andy Lack has terminated Matt Lauer after an
>employee came forward with a report of inappropriate sexual behavior.
>Supposedly there are no other complaints at this time but they suspect
>there may be more to come.

>Quite a surprise announcement and what seems to be a very quick action
>on the basis of one complaint. I'm going to assume they had more to go
>on than just the employee's complaint.

Hey! Matt Lauer could lock his office door from his desk! NBC must have
installed that!

Wouldn't that be false imprisonment, a felony?

They have allegations from a woman going back to 2001, that Lauer
demanded sex from her. She told her husband! I'd like to understand how
her husband failed to punch Lauer.

shawn

Nov 29, 2017, 11:23:09 PM11/29/17
On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 14:32:29 -0500, Capricorne <capri...@gmail.com>
wrote:
So far no one has come forward to say that he had previous complaints
against him. Even Andy Lack said this was the first complaint against
Lauer. Now we are hearing of some other people raising complaints like
one woman saying he exposed himself to her and others complaining of
him inviting them to his hotel room late at night while working on the
Olympics (but so far no discussion of what happened when they got to
his room, if anything.)

The strange story is the latest I read of a woman who complains that
he invited her to his office in 2001, locked the door and then
assaulted her. Supposedly she even passed out and had to be taken to a
nurse. This story doesn't fit in with the others that have been
reported so far so I'm not 100% sold on it unless we get other
confirming reports because sexual predators tend to follow patterns.
Raping someone in your office is a big step from exposing yourself or
inviting women to your hotel room late at night.

anim8rfsk

Nov 29, 2017, 11:54:44 PM11/29/17
In article <7k1v1dd87c6ko7fnf...@4ax.com>,
Also raping someone in his office would be the earliest offense, which
means he quieted way down after for the next 16 years ...

Obveeus

Nov 30, 2017, 12:08:47 AM11/30/17

On 11/29/2017 11:23 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 14:32:29 -0500, Capricorne <capri...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> shawn wrote :
>>> Breaking news that Andy Lack has terminated Matt Lauer after an
>>> employee came forward with a report of inappropriate sexual behavior.
>>> Supposedly there are no other complaints at this time but they suspect
>>> there may be more to come.
>>>

>>> Quite a surprise announcement and what seems to be a very quick action
>>> on the basis of one complaint. I'm going to assume they had more to go
>>> on than just the employee's complaint.
>>

>> He probably had complaints before. Perhaps NBC has paid some women
>> before. This last one was too much.
>
> So far no one has come forward to say that he had previous complaints
> against him. Even Andy Lack said this was the first complaint against
> Lauer.

Has there been any clarity on the accusation Trump made regarding Andy Lack?

> Now we are hearing of some other people raising complaints like
> one woman saying he exposed himself to her

TMZ has video of him dropping his pants in front of 4 female co-workers.
Apparently that aired on TV, too...sort of suggesting that none of
these people are too uptight around the office.
http://www.tmz.com/2017/11/29/matt-lauer-sexual-misconduct-nbc-sex-toys/

The other TMZ clip, though, where Matt Lauer is telling Meredith Vera to
keep bending over as he looks down her top is less harmess:
http://www.tmz.com/2017/11/29/matt-lauer-katie-couric-keep-bending-over-nice-view/

> and others complaining of
> him inviting them to his hotel room late at night while working on the
> Olympics (but so far no discussion of what happened when they got to
> his room, if anything.)

I saw a bit of the Olympic news that suggested it was a relationship
that continued even after they returned from the Olympic coverage.

> The strange story is the latest I read of a woman who complains that
> he invited her to his office in 2001, locked the door and then
> assaulted her. Supposedly she even passed out and had to be taken to a
> nurse.

Which is annoying because you'd think that anyone who required a nurse
would have also had to fill out some sort of paperwork to document that
an event occurred, even if they lied to cover up what happened.

> This story doesn't fit in with the others that have been
> reported so far so I'm not 100% sold on it unless we get other
> confirming reports because sexual predators tend to follow patterns.
> Raping someone in your office is a big step from exposing yourself or
> inviting women to your hotel room late at night.

The 'sexual assault' might not be 'rape'. Maybe he just hugged her.
Not saying that is the case, but people seem to be using the term
'sexual assault' pretty liberally these days. I just read some other
article claiming that Al Franken was 'photographed reaching to grab the
breasts' rather than what I think would be more truthful: 'pretending to
reach for the breasts'. Every news article puts just a little bit of
slant on events, often it might not even be intentional, and the result
is that the stories explode with ever increasing luridness.

Obveeus

Nov 30, 2017, 12:35:43 AM11/30/17
Geraldo Rivera is in trouble for suggesting that some of this might not
be 'assault':
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/geraldo-rivera-matt-lauer-defense_us_5a1f253de4b0392a4ebad412

trotsky

Nov 30, 2017, 6:26:07 AM11/30/17
On 11/29/17 4:05 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <ovmo8s$nt9$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Rhino <no_offlin...@example.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-11-29 7:15 AM, shawn wrote:
>
>>> Breaking news that Andy Lack has terminated Matt Lauer after an
>>> employee came forward with a report of inappropriate sexual behavior.
>>> Supposedly there are no other complaints at this time but they suspect
>>> there may be more to come.
>
>>> Quite a surprise announcement and what seems to be a very quick action
>>> on the basis of one complaint. I'm going to assume they had more to go
>>> on than just the employee's complaint.
>>>
>> Apparently, these highly paid employees are not union employees, like
>> high school teachers. I remember seeing a John Stossel report on
>> education in which he showed viewers the process for dismissing a
>> teacher. It was a flowchart as complex as any I've seen for complex
>> computer programs and detailed umpteen different steps that had to be
>> taken before an employee could be canned.
>
> A couple of years ago, here in L.A., we had a teacher who was caught
> feeding his kids cookies frosted with his own semen.

Was Anim8r jealous?

trotsky

Nov 30, 2017, 6:26:26 AM11/30/17
What?

trotsky

Nov 30, 2017, 6:27:20 AM11/30/17
In what way is that "hilarious"?

A Friend

Nov 30, 2017, 6:35:07 AM11/30/17
Simply inviting women to your hotel room is not, in and of itself,
sexual assault. If he was inviting subordinates who didn't feel free
to refuse, then, sure.

Obveeus

Nov 30, 2017, 10:00:39 AM11/30/17
The problem there is the grey area where the superior may well mean no
harm or threat of harm at all to a person who declines and yet is now
under accusation of coercion merely because the underling misjudged the
situation. Yes, ultimately, the only solution to that is for there to
be a complete ban on office dating...but that in and of itself creates a
problem since so many people don't actually have lives outside of their
workplace.

anim8rfsk

Nov 30, 2017, 10:19:12 AM11/30/17
In article <ovo5bd$1ak$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
I'd wear being in trouble with Huff as a badge of honor.

What's it come to when Geraldo is the voice of reason?

Note that Lauer's accuser has gone from 'will remain anonymous' to 'not
yet ready to reveal her identity'

Of course Huff just makes this stuff up anyway, so who knows.

Obveeus

Nov 30, 2017, 11:22:38 AM11/30/17
Not in trouble with Huffington. Reportedly sent off to reeducation camp
by FOX 'News'.

> What's it come to when Geraldo is the voice of reason?

These are the end times.

> Note that Lauer's accuser has gone from 'will remain anonymous' to 'not
> yet ready to reveal her identity'

Yep...talking to reporters (rather than just her lawyer), but only if
they agree to withhold her name.

> Of course Huff just makes this stuff up anyway, so who knows.

There report seems to match what every other news blurb is saying.

BTR1701

Nov 30, 2017, 11:35:19 AM11/30/17
In article <301120170634591543%no...@noway.com>,
Even that's not assault. Harassment, yes. Assault, no.

shawn

Nov 30, 2017, 11:41:14 AM11/30/17
LOL. That seemed to be where Mika Brzenski was going on this morning's
MORNING JOE. Which I thought was rich since my very first thought was
aren't you involved with the guy sitting next to you? That seemed to
be the perfect example of how the situation can go right, but could
easily have gone wrong if Mika had decided she wasn't interested in
Joe Scarborough.

moviePig

Nov 30, 2017, 11:47:14 AM11/30/17
Seems odd that 200 invitations from a peer wouldn't be 'harassment', but
2 from a superior would. The vocabulary needs an upgrade.

Obveeus

Nov 30, 2017, 11:49:11 AM11/30/17
Yep...and sadly, if it doesn't work out between them, several years
later she could come back and make claims that she was forced to comply
with his sexually harassing wishes. The only thing that prevents that
scenario from happening now is that they went on record with the
relationship. Most workplace relationships don't go that route, either
because they don't last long enough or because one (or both) parties
doesn't want to be the subject of workplace gossip accusing them of
sleeping their way to the top (or the side or whatever).

suzeeq

Nov 30, 2017, 12:38:53 PM11/30/17
The link says it was Katie Couric, not Meredith Viera.

Obveeus

Nov 30, 2017, 12:45:38 PM11/30/17
If you actually went to the link and read, you would know that it was
Meredith Vera.

suzeeq

Nov 30, 2017, 12:47:38 PM11/30/17
It is.

moviePig

Nov 30, 2017, 1:30:32 PM11/30/17
Like fingernails on a blackboard, it could constitute 'harassment' in
the colloquial sense of the word, but not in the legal sense of 'sexual
harassment', afaics. (And now I'm wondering what we call it when your
your boss keeps asking you to, say, play golf...)

jgro...@hotmail.com

Dec 1, 2017, 8:37:19 PM12/1/17
On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 7:24:48 PM UTC-6, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> shawn <nanof...@notformailgmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Breaking news that Andy Lack has terminated Matt Lauer after an
> >employee came forward with a report of inappropriate sexual behavior.
> >Supposedly there are no other complaints at this time but they suspect
> >there may be more to come.
>
> >Quite a surprise announcement and what seems to be a very quick action
> >on the basis of one complaint. I'm going to assume they had more to go
> >on than just the employee's complaint.
>
> Hey! Matt Lauer could lock his office door from his desk! NBC must have
> installed that!

Was the door mechanism a General Electric product ??
Could Comcast-Xfinity add wi-fi control ??

trotsky

Dec 2, 2017, 8:15:13 AM12/2/17
On 11/30/17 11:24 AM, super70s wrote:
> In article <gVRTB.20293$UY6....@fx02.iad>, trotsky <gms...@email.com>
> I could've lived the rest of my life out happily without ever hearing
> about that.

And yet Thanny has used that story on multiple occasions.

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 2, 2017, 1:16:24 PM12/2/17
Good questions.

Neill Massello

Dec 2, 2017, 4:46:11 PM12/2/17
<jgro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Was the door mechanism a General Electric product ??

Of course. They bring good things to life. And to Matt Lauer's office.

David Johnston

Dec 8, 2017, 7:08:43 PM12/8/17
On 2017-11-29 5:15 AM, shawn wrote:
> Breaking news that Andy Lack has terminated Matt Lauer after an
> employee came forward with a report of inappropriate sexual behavior.
> Supposedly there are no other complaints at this time but they suspect
> there may be more to come.
>

> Quite a surprise announcement and what seems to be a very quick action
> on the basis of one complaint. I'm going to assume they had more to go
> on than just the employee's complaint.

When I looked up the story the company's announcement vaguely said this
was the first complaint but they had reason to believe it wasn't the
first time.