What Did You Watch? 2013-04-07 (Sunday)

Ian J. Ball

Apr 8, 2013, 9:19:32 AM4/8/13
Not much on my end (I spent much of the day grading... :( ):

NCAA Div II Basketball Finals (CBS) - You know, I always, every year,
watch the NCAA Division II Men's Basketball Finals as, most years, they
are far more exciting than the 'Final Two' Div I Finals.
This year was no exception, as Drury U. (that's in Springfield, MO,
if you're wondering) was down by as many as 15 in the First Half - I
thought they were done! But, no!! They came roaring back on Metro State
(that's in Denver, CO, if you're wondering), and Drury actually eked out
the win in the final seconds of the game! Great finish to this game!!
:D

Rules of Engagement (recorded) - "Role Play", the episode from 03/18/13.
This one was pretty good - the "Jeff forgets to make a dinner
reservation at a fancy restaurant from him and Audrey" was pretty par
for the course for this show. But the "Russell goes to the Sex Addicts
Anonymous meeting to pick up chicks", after his ex-wife Liz admits her
sex addiction, was great stuff. The Adam/Timmy subplot was the only
letdown here (and that one even ended good! :> ).

Then just the (stupid) "enhanced" reruns of "Once Upon a Time" and
"Revenge", followed by the rerun of the "Red Widow" pilot (I hadn't
realized before that it was her brother that got her husband killed -
which actually makes her brother the true "villain" of the piece...).

Recorded for later: Cold Spring (flick, off LMN), and Vikings.

What did you watch... SUCKERS??!!

--
"Surf-crazed aliens... Of course." - Amber, "Alien Surf Girls",
Episode #1.1, "Wipeout".

anim8rFSK

Apr 8, 2013, 10:08:35 AM4/8/13
In article
<ijball-NO_SPAM-BA2...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Ian J. Ball" <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> Not much on my end (I spent much of the day grading... :( ):
>
> NCAA Div II Basketball Finals (CBS) - You know, I always, every year,
> watch the NCAA Division II Men's Basketball Finals as, most years, they
> are far more exciting than the 'Final Two' Div I Finals.
> This year was no exception, as Drury U. (that's in Springfield, MO,
> if you're wondering) was down by as many as 15 in the First Half - I
> thought they were done! But, no!! They came roaring back on Metro State
> (that's in Denver, CO, if you're wondering), and Drury actually eked out
> the win in the final seconds of the game! Great finish to this game!!
> :D
>
> Rules of Engagement (recorded) - "Role Play", the episode from 03/18/13.
> This one was pretty good - the "Jeff forgets to make a dinner
> reservation at a fancy restaurant from him and Audrey" was pretty par
> for the course for this show. But the "Russell goes to the Sex Addicts
> Anonymous meeting to pick up chicks", after his ex-wife Liz admits her
> sex addiction, was great stuff. The Adam/Timmy subplot was the only
> letdown here (and that one even ended good! :> ).
>
> Then just the (stupid) "enhanced" reruns of "Once Upon a Time" and
> "Revenge", followed by the rerun of the "Red Widow" pilot (I hadn't
> realized before that it was her brother that got her husband killed -
> which actually makes her brother the true "villain" of the piece...).
>
> Recorded for later: Cold Spring (flick, off LMN), and Vikings.
>
> What did you watch... SUCKERS??!!

The second two Jack Hunter movies.

--
"Every time a Kardashian gets a TV show, an angel dies."

Arthur Lipscomb

Apr 8, 2013, 11:56:17 AM4/8/13
On 4/8/2013 6:19 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> Not much on my end (I spent much of the day grading... :( ):
>
> NCAA Div II Basketball Finals (CBS) - You know, I always, every year,
> watch the NCAA Division II Men's Basketball Finals as, most years, they
> are far more exciting than the 'Final Two' Div I Finals.
> This year was no exception, as Drury U. (that's in Springfield, MO,
> if you're wondering) was down by as many as 15 in the First Half - I
> thought they were done! But, no!! They came roaring back on Metro State
> (that's in Denver, CO, if you're wondering), and Drury actually eked out
> the win in the final seconds of the game! Great finish to this game!!
> :D
>
> Rules of Engagement (recorded) - "Role Play", the episode from 03/18/13.
> This one was pretty good - the "Jeff forgets to make a dinner
> reservation at a fancy restaurant from him and Audrey" was pretty par
> for the course for this show. But the "Russell goes to the Sex Addicts
> Anonymous meeting to pick up chicks", after his ex-wife Liz admits her
> sex addiction, was great stuff. The Adam/Timmy subplot was the only
> letdown here (and that one even ended good! :> ).
>
> Then just the (stupid) "enhanced" reruns of "Once Upon a Time" and
> "Revenge", followed by the rerun of the "Red Widow" pilot (I hadn't
> realized before that it was her brother that got her husband killed -
> which actually makes her brother the true "villain" of the piece...).
>
> Recorded for later: Cold Spring (flick, off LMN), and Vikings.
>
> What did you watch... SUCKERS??!!

I have to be fast. I watched:

Shameless - season finale leaves everyone in cliffhanger status. They
are really pushing Carl as a budding serial killer.

Game of Thrones - Nothing in particular stood out and the lack of
dragons was noticeable but otherwise OK.

SNL - not particularly funny.

Smash - didn't really pay attention.

Evil Dead - I read they had to make cuts to avoid an NC-17 rating. I
have no idea what they cut because it all seemed to be in the movie. I
could barely look at the screen it was so graphic. I'm not saying it
was bad but be warned it's extreme.

Westworld (Netflix rental) - Horrible picture quality for blu-ray. I'm
glad I didn't buy it. No time for a recap and too many dumb plot holes
to list but one that really stood out in my mind was the people who ran
the park locked themselves in an airtight room then suffocated because
the power went out and they couldn't get the doors open. I *hope*
there's no real life example of a design like that.

Beyond Westworld - TV pilot for a Westworld series included on the
blu-ray. The pilot starts with a recap of everything you're about to
see in the episode, hitting all the key plot points. It got worse from
there.

Obveeus

Apr 8, 2013, 1:00:48 PM4/8/13

"Ian J. Ball" <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> What did you watch... SUCKERS??!!

VIKINGS: Ragnar comes to power, basically because the old Earl decided that
it was time to ascend to Valhalla. Seriously, a guy who was decidedly
underhanded in all his past dealings was suddenly very generous to Ragnar.
Meanwhile, the senseless killing fell to the English ruler, who apparently
kept his head of guard on staff for a full year just so he could kill him as
an example to others? In other news, the Earl's wife didn't seem to suffer
any repercussions for poking the old guy.

BLUE: The rest of season 2 from www.youtube.com/wigs. Julia Stiles
character is still not fleshed out as we still don't know if she was ever
raped or just having lots of sex as part of a teen drug habit and we still
don't know who her son's father is. Meanwhile, her son is continuing in her
prostitute footsteps as his girlfriend is now paying him for sex.

David Johnston

Apr 8, 2013, 1:25:18 PM4/8/13
Actually the last couple of days.

DEFIANT REQUIEM: VOICES OF RESISTANCE **

Story of musicians who were in a labour camp during World War II. Not
exactly what I was looking for which was a music programme.

JUSTIFIED ***

The annoying thing about this show is that the channel never starts it
at a reliable time so I missed the start.

MONDAY MORNINGS **

They discover that the mass in a judge's head is actually an old
syphilis thing. The news leaks to the media...inevitably. Too bad
about her prospects to become the next Supreme.

PRIEST **

Fundamentally it's a Western. But the indians are vampires. I can't
quite figure out why the train blew up because someone crashed a
motorcycle into it, but I suppose it fits with the guy who cut a bullet
in half in the air by throwing a knife at it.

MUCHMUSIC COUNTDOWN ***

Sweet Nothing is a brilliant angry video.

LOST GIRL ***

Doctor Girlfriend screws up big time.

RIZZOLI AND ISLES ***

Rizzoli takes Isles as her date to her high school reunion. Way to
dispell those lesbian rumours, babe.

icebreaker

Apr 8, 2013, 3:59:03 PM4/8/13
Shameless -- season finale. Someone enlists with someone else's ID.
Someone gets hospitalized and told to get sober or die. Someone keeps
trying to contact her boyfriend who doesn't return the calls and sends
some cash instead. Someone gets into MIT. Someone gets a permanent
job. Someone gets the first HS diploma in the family plus a party.

House of Lies -- season finale. This is told from the four
perspectives of the four main characters backing up each time.
Finally, at the end we learn Marty gets his new firm but loses his
team in the process? I'm not usre how they'll write around this if
this gets another season.

Lost Girl -- wow all this out of left field stuff in the next to last
episode. Made it somewhat interesting though.

Ubiquitous

Apr 9, 2013, 5:26:47 AM4/9/13
In article <kjup65$2j4$1...@dont-email.me>, art...@alum.calberkeley.org
wrote:

>Westworld (Netflix rental) - Horrible picture quality for blu-ray. I'm
>glad I didn't buy it. No time for a recap and too many dumb plot holes
>to list but one that really stood out in my mind was the people who ran
>the park locked themselves in an airtight room then suffocated because
>the power went out and they couldn't get the doors open. I *hope*
>there's no real life example of a design like that.

And then there's why you would give the robots live amo and hope their
failsafe mechanisms prevented them from firing at live humans.

--
"Right now, the president is not solving the budget chaos because he
doesn't want to cut federal spending. That's the truth. And the spinners

Ubiquitous

Apr 9, 2013, 5:26:57 AM4/9/13
ijball-...@mac.invalid wrote:

>What did you watch... SUCKERS??!!

HALLOWEEN: THE INSIDE STORY
OK, this show was kinda on-topic for the Biography Channel, but
stretching it. It was quite fascinating, actually. I did not know this
film was done on a very small budget in California for about 21 days! I
gained an insight into why Rob Zombie's remake kinda sucked -- MM was
only referred to throughout the script as "A DARK SHAPE", a force of
nature, without any backstory. Oh yeah, John Carpenter kinda blew off
Rob Zombie when he called to tell him he was remaking Halloween. Heh!
Next time I watch, I'm going to have to look for the palm trees in the
background.

GHOST IN THE INVISIBLE BIKINI:
Silliness in a haunted house occupied by an eponymous girl and the ghost
of her now elderly lover. I find it hard to believe tiny weenie 1960's
bikinis existed in the 1920's, but this was a farce so I'm not going to
sweat it. Oh yeah, before you get too excited, the "invisible bikini"
wasn't transparent, it just matched the bluescreen background they used
for the special fx, giving the effect that she was missing parts of her
chest and hips.

THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ORANGE COUNTY:
"Bullies and Babes". In the season eight premier, Heather has a formal
clambake and berates her husband for wanting onion rings. Truffle Hunter
got work done on her snout and face, causing rampant gossip/speculation
among the gals. Trucker Tamra nags her so-called fiance about a wedding
date. Kinda boring, actually.

BOB'S BURGERS:
"Broadcast Wagstaff School". Tina investigates the mad pooper at school
and covers the story on the school news show.

BOB'S BURGERS:
"Lindapendant Woman".
Linda takes a job at Fresh Foods to help make ends meet.

Neighbors:
� "Let's Scissor!" Decoupage Shop

Burger of the day:
� "Don't You Four Cheddar 'Bout Me Burger" (with four kinds of cheddar!)
� I Mint To Do That (Comes with mint relish)
� Only the Provolonely

Bob and guys: "Hey we're doing locker room talk. Tell us about your
testicles." "Goodbye!"
Louise: "Dollar whiskey, dollar scotch. Dollar bourbon, dollar crotch!"
Tina meets a new boyfriend while inside the dairy case.
One of Linda's co-workers was in a Steve Miller cover band, The
Abraca-dabblers.
The dentist's "BRN2DRLU" license plate in the Fresh Feed parking lot.
The "disco minute" at Fresh Foods.

THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA:
"Reunion, Part one".

FAMILY GUY:
"Joe's Revenge". The recently-arrested man who shot Joe, putting him in a
wheelchair, escapes, prompting Peter, Quagmire, and Joe to track him
down.

THE CLEVELAND SHOW:
"Who Done Did It". Cleveland is accused of murder via DBE, prompting
Frieght Train, who writes murder mysteries under a female nom de plume,
Rollo, and Junior to investigate.

TRUE LIFE:
"I'm Questioning My Gender Again". Some trannies realized their "sex
change" operation didn't help with their mental problem. Gee, who would
have guessed?

anim8rFSK

Apr 9, 2013, 10:01:13 AM4/9/13
In article <kk0tp1$iiv$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> In article <kjup65$2j4$1...@dont-email.me>, art...@alum.calberkeley.org
> wrote:
>
> >Westworld (Netflix rental) - Horrible picture quality for blu-ray. I'm
> >glad I didn't buy it. No time for a recap and too many dumb plot holes
> >to list but one that really stood out in my mind was the people who ran
> >the park locked themselves in an airtight room then suffocated because
> >the power went out and they couldn't get the doors open. I *hope*
> >there's no real life example of a design like that.
>
> And then there's why you would give the robots live amo and hope their
> failsafe mechanisms prevented them from firing at live humans.

It's worse than that, it's "don't shoot at anything warm" - um, the
robots aren't warm? The sexbots must pre pretty icky. And how exactly
does this safety precaution work on swords?

Ubiquitous

Apr 9, 2013, 1:01:49 PM4/9/13
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>> In article <kjup65$2j4$1...@dont-email.me>, art...@alum.calberkeley.org
>> wrote:

>> >Westworld (Netflix rental) - Horrible picture quality for blu-ray. I'm
>> >glad I didn't buy it. No time for a recap and too many dumb plot holes
>> >to list but one that really stood out in my mind was the people who ran
>> >the park locked themselves in an airtight room then suffocated because
>> >the power went out and they couldn't get the doors open. I *hope*
>> >there's no real life example of a design like that.
>>
>> And then there's why you would give the robots live amo and hope their
>> failsafe mechanisms prevented them from firing at live humans.
>
>It's worse than that, it's "don't shoot at anything warm" - um, the
>robots aren't warm? The sexbots must pre pretty icky. And how exactly
>does this safety precaution work on swords?

I am told the swords go limp, let a wet noodle. ;-)

Hunter

Apr 10, 2013, 2:19:31 AM4/10/13
On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 13:00:48 -0400, "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

>"Ian J. Ball" <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> What did you watch... SUCKERS??!!
>
>VIKINGS: Ragnar comes to power, basically because the old Earl decided that
>it was time to ascend to Valhalla. Seriously, a guy who was decidedly
>underhanded in all his past dealings was suddenly very generous to Ragnar.
-----
The Norse didn't regard death in the same way as we do today. Ragnar
won in fair combat and Haraldson wanted to go to Valhalla with honor
and to see his sons.

As Bjorn said to the priest who was squeamish about seeing the slave
being sacrificed to help witness the Earl's bravery to the gods it is
only death, nothing to be afraid of.

>Meanwhile, the senseless killing fell to the English ruler, who apparently
>kept his head of guard on staff for a full year just so he could kill him as
>an example to others?
-----
You have to leave your 21st century sensibilities behind. That is how
it was then. A ruler like King Alle who was displeased with you can
kill you with impunity. It is still about 418 years before the Magna
Carta where you got at least some limitations on the king's power, and
that only applied to England. The guy can be replaced. The point was
to scare the next guy who occupies his post into being more effective.

Oh and that was a foreshadowing of how Ragnar will eventually die.

> In other news, the Earl's wife didn't seem to suffer
>any repercussions for poking the old guy.
----
Different rules for a different society 1,200 years ago.

------>Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

Adriana

Apr 9, 2013, 3:56:14 AM4/9/13
In article <kk0u9b$iiv$2...@dont-email.me>, web...@polaris.net wrote:

>THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA:

Just finished watching Reunion Part 1.

Random Observations:

1) Everyone looked good, except for the fake hair either bunned or piled
on top
Cynthia especially looked amazing. Have to just restate that she really
ought to be putting her celebrity to use in promoting a beauty based
product. Even Andy Cohen said that he loves all of her different looks.
I thought she looked flawless, and at 42, she looked way better than
Porsha

2) Can Porsha PLEASE cut it with that ridiculous pink lipstick?
She wears that shade like she gets royalties off of it. It does not look
good against her skin tone at all, its too jarring, maybe as a sheer
color, maybe a little darker of a shade, but she seems to wear that
ridiculous lipstick with everything. Kordell makes millions of dollars,
surely you can afford another shade of lipcolor!

3) I think Kenya was quiet when Porsha said anything because it made
Porsha look irrelevant.
I'm glad that Porsha got her two cents in, but frankly Porsha isn't on
the level of Phaedra in terms of drawing someone into a fight.

4) Kenya is delusional...like a fox!
How soon until we see a line of flip fans from Kenya? Being crazy gets
her more airtime. I'm sure some of her crazy is real, she doesn't seem
to be a very good actress, and those crazy eyes she gets seem very very
real. Like the sort Walter will see one day when she sneaks into his
house wearing a wedding dress and carrying a stun gun. However, she has
been picking at every opportunity she has, the drama from the show is
what will make people buy her song, which looks and sounds awful and she
played on that like a master

5) I have a newfound respect for Phaedra
Its not a ton, but she handled the jabs at her weight with style. I also
very much respected that she blamed Apollo for the situation with Kenya.
Her comebacks were a little cheesy but they got her point across. Kenya
had fake reviews, Kenya's workout video was basically only relevant
because of Phaedra's workout video, Kenya's IMDB is full of straight to
DVD movies, she never asked Kenya to secure a distribution deal, Kenya's
distribution deal probably wasn't that great or else Kenya's video would
have done better, Kenya walked away from the project. I generally
dislike Phaedra's fakeness, she just doesn't seem real to me and
everything is an act, but she seemed a little more real at the reunion.

6) Good for Khandi!
She has let Kim punk her long enough. It shouldn't even be a matter of
the money, its a matter of getting respect. Khandi did all this work and
isn't supposed to get paid for it? Kim has the gall to insist that she
has the rights to the song? I'm glad that Khandi isn't being a pushover
anymore for Kim, especially with all the disrespect that Kim has shown
her.

7) BAPS/Porsha
Maybe it was shade, OK it probably was shade. But I don't think everyone
else was dressed up as glamourous A-list black actresses either. I think
Porsha could have rocked BAPS, she didn't have to do the gold tooth, and
it actually might have been an interesting fit with her "cheerleader"
personality. She really doesn't conjure up images of Dorothy Dandridge
to me. Although, Kenya didn't like Pheadra, and she assigned her Eartha
Kitt as Catwoman, which I don't see as being shady so its possible that
she might have thought that Porsha's "cheerleader" personality fit with
BAPS.

8) Can't wait for next week!
Kim vs. Khandi, Apollo & Phaedra vs. Kenya, Porsha vs. Kenya, Khandi vs.
Nene, Kim vs. Nene.
The fan vs. everyone on the couch. The fan flying at someone's face. The
fan flipping out someones eye. The fan being used Mortal Kombat Style on
someone.

David Barnett

Apr 11, 2013, 10:06:23 PM4/11/13
In article <ijball-NO_SPAM-BA2AC0.06193208042013
@news.eternal-september.org>, ijball-...@mac.invalid
says...

> What did you watch... SUCKERS??!!

I seem to be a fair bit behind on this sort of thread.

On Tue Apr 9

I watched:

666 PARK AVENUE: Lazarus
Well, no cliff hangers & a sort of resolution from my POV.

REVENGE: Power; Sabotage
Our channel 7 aired a double episode, but there's only a
single episode next week, thank goodness.

HAWAII 5-0: Na Ki'i (Dolls)
I don't care for roller derby.

On Wed Apr 10,
I watched:

PACKED TO THE RAFTERS: Free to Choose
Jessica Marais, who was Rachel Rafter, I've just learned
is in a show called Magic City (imdb).
The other night Channel 9 was promoting her for s show
called Love Child; Jonathan LaPaglia is also in the cast.
So this sounds like an Australian show

NCIS: Canary
Sings like a canary?

NCIS: LA: Paper Soldiers
ANGER MANAGEMENT: Charlie & Jen Together Again; also
Charlie And Deception Therapy

Hemingway and Gellhorn (2012)
I like Nicole Kidman, but usually I don't like her movies!
However, she & Clive Owen were wonderful in this, rather
long, movie.

Yesterday, I watched:
GAME OF THRONES: Dark Wings, Dark Words
Wasn't thrilled by it.
As usual Peter D. brightened it up.

REVOLUTION: The Song Remains the Same
Plenty of posts elsewhere.

BODY OF PROOF: Doubting Tommy
This exhibited another pet peeve of mine, namely one of
the main cast being suspected.

Today, Fri Apr 12, I have watched
PSYCH: 100 Clues

HOUSE OF LIES: Gods of Dangerous Financial Instruments
Thought I would sample this show; may watch one more
episode.

--
David Barnett

anim8rFSK

Apr 12, 2013, 2:36:36 AM4/12/13
In article <MPG.2bd217183...@news.bigpond.com>,
David Barnett <dbar...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> HAWAII 5-0: Na Ki'i (Dolls)
> I don't care for roller derby.

Or when they did it on BONES or PSYCH any other of a number of series
going back to at least Charlie's Angels.

David Johnston

Apr 12, 2013, 2:57:20 AM4/12/13
On 4/11/2013 8:06 PM, David Barnett wrote:

> BODY OF PROOF: Doubting Tommy
> This exhibited another pet peeve of mine, namely one of
> the main cast being suspected.

What are you up to on Murdoch Mysteries?

Jim G.

Apr 12, 2013, 4:12:49 PM4/12/13
Ian J. Ball sent the following on Mon, 08 Apr 2013 06:19:32 -0700:

> What did you watch... SUCKERS??!!

GAME OF THRONES (HBO, 8 PM) / Dark Wings, Dark Words
[Sansa says too much; Shae asks Tyrion for a favor; Jaime finds a way to
pass the time; Arya encounters the Brotherhood Without Banners.]

A decent outing and it was nice to see Arya again, but overall it seemed
to fall flat. Jaime and his mind games are fun for maybe three minutes
at a time, which means that there was far too much of his verbal
diarrhea in this one for my liking. And the fact that the boob count was
zero didn't help matters. It seems as if they went from being a pr0n
show at times last season to being a network outing this season.
Moderation please, writers. Moderation. Elsewhere, if the future queen's
grandmother is any indication, botox must be cheap and plentiful in the
Seven Kingdoms. And finally, one ongoing quibble: people hiking through
the equivalent of the Antarctic (and dressed for such temperatures)
should have breath that shows when they speak and exhale.

Grade: B-

"Relax. It's North Korea, the nation-state equivalent of the short bus." -- Sterling Archer, ARCHER

Mason Barge

Apr 12, 2013, 5:52:53 PM4/12/13
On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:12:49 -0500, Jim G.
<jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

>Ian J. Ball sent the following on Mon, 08 Apr 2013 06:19:32 -0700:
>>
>> What did you watch... SUCKERS??!!
>
>GAME OF THRONES (HBO, 8 PM) / Dark Wings, Dark Words
>[Sansa says too much; Shae asks Tyrion for a favor; Jaime finds a way to
>pass the time; Arya encounters the Brotherhood Without Banners.]
>
>A decent outing and it was nice to see Arya again, but overall it seemed
>to fall flat. Jaime and his mind games are fun for maybe three minutes
>at a time, which means that there was far too much of his verbal
>diarrhea in this one for my liking. And the fact that the boob count was
>zero didn't help matters. It seems as if they went from being a pr0n
>show at times last season to being a network outing this season.
>Moderation please, writers. Moderation. Elsewhere, if the future queen's
>grandmother is any indication, botox must be cheap and plentiful in the
>Seven Kingdoms.

Did you realize that that was Emma Peel?

> And finally, one ongoing quibble: people hiking through
>the equivalent of the Antarctic (and dressed for such temperatures)
>should have breath that shows when they speak and exhale.

Yeah, and they are usually pretty meticulous about that sort of thing.
For a tv show.

>Grade: B-

Ditto, one of their weaker efforts.

David Barnett

Apr 12, 2013, 6:41:19 PM4/12/13
In article <anim8rfsk-0DFEA8.23363611042013
@news.easynews.com>, anim...@cox.net says...

> In article <MPG.2bd217183...@news.bigpond.com>,
> David Barnett <dbar...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> > HAWAII 5-0: Na Ki'i (Dolls)
> > I don't care for roller derby.
>
> Or when they did it on BONES or PSYCH any other of a number of series
> going back to at least Charlie's Angels.

Now that you mention...

--
David Barnett

David Barnett

Apr 12, 2013, 6:43:10 PM4/12/13
In article <ugjgm8hflkj16vjte...@4ax.com>,
jimg...@geemail.com.invalid says...

> Ian J. Ball sent the following on Mon, 08 Apr 2013 06:19:32 -0700:
> >
> > What did you watch... SUCKERS??!!
>
> GAME OF THRONES (HBO, 8 PM) / Dark Wings, Dark Words
> [Sansa says too much; Shae asks Tyrion for a favor; Jaime finds a way to
> pass the time; Arya encounters the Brotherhood Without Banners.]
>
> A decent outing and it was nice to see Arya again, but overall it seemed
> to fall flat. Jaime and his mind games are fun for maybe three minutes
> at a time, which means that there was far too much of his verbal
> diarrhea in this one for my liking. And the fact that the boob count was
> zero didn't help matters. It seems as if they went from being a pr0n
> show at times last season to being a network outing this season.
> Moderation please, writers. Moderation. Elsewhere, if the future queen's
> grandmother is any indication, botox must be cheap and plentiful in the
> Seven Kingdoms. And finally, one ongoing quibble: people hiking through
> the equivalent of the Antarctic (and dressed for such temperatures)
> should have breath that shows when they speak and exhale.
>
> Grade: B-

Well put.

--
David Barnett

David Barnett

Apr 12, 2013, 6:45:00 PM4/12/13
In article <1c0hm853s7h1942m9...@4ax.com>,
mason...@gmail.com says...

> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:12:49 -0500, Jim G.
> <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> >Ian J. Ball sent the following on Mon, 08 Apr 2013 06:19:32 -0700:
> >>
> >> What did you watch... SUCKERS??!!
> >
> >GAME OF THRONES (HBO, 8 PM) / Dark Wings, Dark Words
> >[Sansa says too much; Shae asks Tyrion for a favor; Jaime finds a way to
> >pass the time; Arya encounters the Brotherhood Without Banners.]
> >
> >A decent outing and it was nice to see Arya again, but overall it seemed
> >to fall flat. Jaime and his mind games are fun for maybe three minutes
> >at a time, which means that there was far too much of his verbal
> >diarrhea in this one for my liking. And the fact that the boob count was
> >zero didn't help matters. It seems as if they went from being a pr0n
> >show at times last season to being a network outing this season.
> >Moderation please, writers. Moderation. Elsewhere, if the future queen's
> >grandmother is any indication, botox must be cheap and plentiful in the
> >Seven Kingdoms.
>
> Did you realize that that was Emma Peel?

I for one did not, but thanks for the info.

> > And finally, one ongoing quibble: people hiking through
> >the equivalent of the Antarctic (and dressed for such temperatures)
> >should have breath that shows when they speak and exhale.
>
> Yeah, and they are usually pretty meticulous about that sort of thing.
> For a tv show.
>
> >Grade: B-
>
> Ditto, one of their weaker efforts.

--
David Barnett

Obveeus

Apr 12, 2013, 8:48:39 PM4/12/13

"Mason Barge" <mason...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:12:49 -0500, Jim G.
> <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

GAME OF THRONES:
>>Elsewhere, if the future queen's
>>grandmother is any indication, botox must be cheap and plentiful in the
>>Seven Kingdoms.
>
> Did you realize that that was Emma Peel?

When SPARTACUS first started, they made a point of not hiring actresses that
looked like plastic surgery nightmares. Why would a 'quality' show like
GAME OF THRONES not make the same effort? ...or is there not any old women
left in Hollywood that aren't botox victims?

Mason Barge

Apr 13, 2013, 1:43:31 PM4/13/13
Diana Rigg is so cool that it survived her botched surgery.

Jim G.

Apr 15, 2013, 4:21:28 PM4/15/13
Mason Barge sent the following on Fri, 12 Apr 2013 17:52:53 -0400:
> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:12:49 -0500, Jim G.
> <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> >Ian J. Ball sent the following on Mon, 08 Apr 2013 06:19:32 -0700:
> >>
> >> What did you watch... SUCKERS??!!
> >
> >GAME OF THRONES (HBO, 8 PM) / Dark Wings, Dark Words
> >[Sansa says too much; Shae asks Tyrion for a favor; Jaime finds a way to
> >pass the time; Arya encounters the Brotherhood Without Banners.]
> >
> >A decent outing and it was nice to see Arya again, but overall it seemed
> >to fall flat. Jaime and his mind games are fun for maybe three minutes
> >at a time, which means that there was far too much of his verbal
> >diarrhea in this one for my liking. And the fact that the boob count was
> >zero didn't help matters. It seems as if they went from being a pr0n
> >show at times last season to being a network outing this season.
> >Moderation please, writers. Moderation. Elsewhere, if the future queen's
> >grandmother is any indication, botox must be cheap and plentiful in the
> >Seven Kingdoms.
>
> Did you realize that that was Emma Peel?

No, but I should have recognized the cheekbones, which might have been
the only original part of her face that survives to this day.

> > And finally, one ongoing quibble: people hiking through
> >the equivalent of the Antarctic (and dressed for such temperatures)
> >should have breath that shows when they speak and exhale.
>
> Yeah, and they are usually pretty meticulous about that sort of thing.
> For a tv show.

I'm trying to remember if this has always been the case or if they're
just starting to cut corners. I *think* I remember seeing their breath
in the past, though.

> >Grade: B-
>
> Ditto, one of their weaker efforts.

If it hadn't had plenty of feisty little Arya, it might have been a
total fail. Mainly because, again, a little Jamie goes a long, long way
for me.

Mason Barge

Apr 15, 2013, 7:08:29 PM4/15/13
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:21:28 -0500, Jim G.
Yeah the actor is doing a good job of being absolutely intolerable,
although it's a great part.

Arya, I hate to say, was better in the book. Okay, even better I
should say, probably because of time constraints. She might be the
best character in the entire series. As far as I'm concerned, they
could do half of every episode about her - Song of Fire and Ice really
gives her a lot of content that the show doesn't have time to develop.

For my money, the worst casting is Lena Headey. WTF were they
thinking?

anim8rFSK

Apr 15, 2013, 9:25:50 PM4/15/13
In article <0n1pm89b3fmugfccf...@4ax.com>,
Can't we say that about anything they cast her in? It sure was true of
Sarah Connor.

BTR1701

Apr 15, 2013, 10:21:11 PM4/15/13
In article <anim8rfsk-75513...@news.easynews.com>,
I know I'm in a significant minority here, but I liked her as Sarah
Connor. Better than Linda Hamilton, anyway.

Don't much like her on THRONES, tho.

Jim G.

Apr 16, 2013, 3:32:26 PM4/16/13
Mason Barge sent the following on Mon, 15 Apr 2013 19:08:29 -0400:
And it's not as if I'm a big (no pun intended) of Steroid Blondie,
either, so all of those scenes are pretty much useless to me when
they're not downright annoying.

> Arya, I hate to say, was better in the book. Okay, even better I
> should say, probably because of time constraints. She might be the
> best character in the entire series. As far as I'm concerned, they
> could do half of every episode about her - Song of Fire and Ice really
> gives her a lot of content that the show doesn't have time to develop.

Just from what we get of her, it's obvious that the character has a lot
going for it. And the girl playing the role is doing a fine job with it.

> For my money, the worst casting is Lena Headey. WTF were they
> thinking?

I asked the same question back in the Sarah Connors days. I can only
assume that she does a *really* good casting couch.

David Barnett

Apr 16, 2013, 7:48:00 PM4/16/13
In article <atropos-01E423.19211115042013@news-
europe.giganews.com>, atr...@mac.com says...
I am a member of your minority.

--
David Barnett

anim8rFSK

Apr 16, 2013, 8:22:26 PM4/16/13
In article <MPG.2bd88e40e...@news.bigpond.com>,
Fine. You can have Headey, I get Strahotski.

Obveeus

Apr 16, 2013, 8:27:15 PM4/16/13

"anim8rFSK" <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> David Barnett <dbar...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
>> europe.giganews.com>, atr...@mac.com says...
>> > I know I'm in a significant minority here, but I liked her as Sarah
>> > Connor. Better than Linda Hamilton, anyway.
>> >
>> > Don't much like her on THRONES, tho.
>>
>> I am a member of your minority.
>
> Fine. You can have Headey, I get Strahotski.

If you were watching DEFIANCE you could be bidding on an almost naked Jaime
Murray.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2307503/Jaime-Murray-unrecognisable-strips-sexy-bath-scene-new-sci-fi-Defiance.html

BTR1701

Apr 16, 2013, 9:37:21 PM4/16/13
In article <anim8rfsk-ABD62...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> In article <MPG.2bd88e40e...@news.bigpond.com>,
> David Barnett <dbar...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> > In article <atropos-01E423.19211115042013@news-
> > europe.giganews.com>, atr...@mac.com says...

> > > I know I'm in a significant minority here, but I liked her as Sarah
> > > Connor. Better than Linda Hamilton, anyway.
> > >
> > > Don't much like her on THRONES, tho.
> >
> > I am a member of your minority.
>
> Fine. You can have Headey, I get Strahotski.

I didn't say she was in some super-hot babe league or anything! Just
that she made a decent Sarah Connor.

anim8rFSK

Apr 16, 2013, 11:20:26 PM4/16/13
In article <atropos-0C5482...@news-europe.giganews.com>,
I thought she was terrible; McCarrot "hide your accent and you can't
act" terrible.

EGK

Apr 17, 2013, 12:06:35 AM4/17/13
In my opinion she has one look on her face. Like someone just farted.

anim8rFSK

Apr 17, 2013, 1:07:28 AM4/17/13
In article <os7sm8t82q8ac4prb...@4ax.com>,
hee hee

Mason Barge

Apr 17, 2013, 9:49:54 AM4/17/13
You've lost your mind. Well, only in regards to T2. I thought Linda
Hamilton was fabulous. She trained full-time for six months and it
showed. She was the only, or one of very few, action heroines I've
ever seen with any credibility.

Mason Barge

Apr 17, 2013, 9:52:57 AM4/17/13
That's a lot of the problem. The entire character of Cersei Lannister
is based on her irresistable blonde beauty, packaging an amoral and
manipulative witch.

Mason Barge

Apr 17, 2013, 9:53:27 AM4/17/13
Haha. Bingo.

Mason Barge

Apr 17, 2013, 9:58:20 AM4/17/13
On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 14:32:26 -0500, Jim G.
Given her appearance, I don't see that as realistic :)

It's more like studio execs are so stupid and anxiety-ridden that they
have to rely on a group of actors and actresses who have done roles
before, no matter how good or bad they were in them.

Once you're on the list, the idiots keep putting you in shows or at
least trying. I mean, Fox gave Eliza Duskhu a freaking production
deal! And look at, say, Alicia Silverstone or Benjamin Bratt (who
isn't THAT bad an actor, I'm just digging for examples).

BTR1701

Apr 17, 2013, 10:43:30 AM4/17/13
In article <jv9tm81tjmioqe66h...@4ax.com>,
Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 19:21:11 -0700, BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <anim8rfsk-75513...@news.easynews.com>,
> > anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> >> Can't we say that about anything they cast her in? It sure was
> >> true of Sarah Connor.
> >
> >I know I'm in a significant minority here, but I liked her as Sarah
> >Connor. Better than Linda Hamilton, anyway.
>
> You've lost your mind. Well, only in regards to T2. I thought Linda
> Hamilton was fabulous. She trained full-time for six months and it
> showed. She was the only, or one of very few, action heroines I've
> ever seen with any credibility.

Yeah, she had oodles of muscles, but everything else about the
performance was meh. Not bad, but nothing special, either. I thought she
was better in the first film, as an average young girl in L.A. whose
whole world is suddenly turned upside down and blown apart in the space
of a few hours.

BTR1701

Apr 17, 2013, 10:44:19 AM4/17/13
In article <36atm8lv9a27dumo1...@4ax.com>,
Yes, I'm thinking someone like Charlize Theron would have really rocked
that role.

Capricorne

Apr 17, 2013, 11:03:28 AM4/17/13
> Not much on my end (I spent much of the day grading... :( ):

What? No one watched THE GOOD WIFE?

I don't know if this show has been renewed for next year, but it smells
like the end of an era for Lockhart Gardner.

Cary Argos is leaving the Firm and founding his own firm with 4 other
lawyers, and he's asking Alicia to come with them.

On the other hand, Diane Lockhart meets the Judge in chief and he tells
her she must get rid of Will Gardner, as he is a "scoundrel". He means
"if you want to be a judge".

So, it's the end of the show, or a sort of new show with a new firm?

anim8rFSK

Apr 17, 2013, 1:00:54 PM4/17/13
In article <ecatm89o3j63oi7bb...@4ax.com>,
Well, she also fell in the (still open) window of 'lets cast people with
accents and make them hide them totally destroying any ability they
might have had to act'

> Once you're on the list, the idiots keep putting you in shows or at
> least trying. I mean, Fox gave Eliza Duskhu a freaking production
> deal! And look at, say, Alicia Silverstone or Benjamin Bratt (who
> isn't THAT bad an actor, I'm just digging for examples).

anim8rFSK

Apr 17, 2013, 1:01:26 PM4/17/13
In article <atropos-7696C1...@news-europe.giganews.com>,
Oh, come on, Charlize Theron rocks *any* role.

David Barnett

Apr 17, 2013, 8:25:10 PM4/17/13
In article <anim8rfsk-ABD62F.17222616042013
@news.easynews.com>, anim...@cox.net says...
> Fine. You can have Headey, I get .

I don't want Headey, I want Strahotski myself!

--
David Barnett

tenworld

Apr 17, 2013, 9:32:47 PM4/17/13
On Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:25:10 PM UTC-7, David Barnett wrote:
> [...]

She didnt fit my mental picture of Cersei, I think she would have been better as Ned's wife especially her attitude to Jon Snow and after the Red Wedding. But Ive gotten used to her - she does play well off the Imp, and does the B/Witch thing well. When they drag her through the streets naked I'll see if I still like her in the role.

Charlize looks more like the book cersei but she is way too sweet to be believable as Cersei, even give the great acting job shes done in other movies.

Capricorne

Apr 17, 2013, 9:42:20 PM4/17/13

> She didnt fit my mental picture of Cersei, I think she would have been better
> as Ned's wife especially her attitude to Jon Snow and after the Red Wedding.
> But Ive gotten used to her - she does play well off the Imp, and does the
> B/Witch thing well. When they drag her through the streets naked I'll see if
> I still like her in the role.

I like her, a lot (Lena Headey). I've seen her for the first time in a
British series. I think it was Fitz. She was young and very beautiful.
Still is. She was dressed in a leather jackett, with dark hair. She
was exactly my type of women. Everytime I see her, I still can't stop
looking at her. I want more, more. More please. 8-o

Jim G.

Apr 18, 2013, 3:02:23 PM4/18/13
BTR1701 sent the following on Mon, 15 Apr 2013 19:21:11 -0700:
I thought that Hamilton was awesome. Perfectly played as an innocent in
over her head in the first movie *and* as a bad-ass soldier by the time
the second one rolled around. I don't know that there are that many
actresses out there who could have done both so well.

> Don't much like her on THRONES, tho.

I don't like her there, either, but I dislike her less. Probably because
she gets much less screen time and there is more talent around to
compensate for the things about her that annoy me.

anim8rFSK

Apr 18, 2013, 4:10:41 PM4/18/13
In article <vbc0n8h1c2gl5l319...@4ax.com>,
Jim G. <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> BTR1701 sent the following on Mon, 15 Apr 2013 19:21:11 -0700:
> > In article <anim8rfsk-75513...@news.easynews.com>,
> > anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> > > Can't we say that about anything they cast her in? It sure was true of
> > > Sarah Connor.
> >
> > I know I'm in a significant minority here, but I liked her as Sarah
> > Connor. Better than Linda Hamilton, anyway.
>
> I thought that Hamilton was awesome. Perfectly played as an innocent in
> over her head in the first movie *and* as a bad-ass soldier by the time
> the second one rolled around. I don't know that there are that many
> actresses out there who could have done both so well.
>
> > Don't much like her on THRONES, tho.
>
> I don't like her there, either, but I dislike her less. Probably because
> she gets much less screen time and there is more talent around to
> compensate for the things about her that annoy me.

The few eps I watched, she didn't get nekkid, and that was even more
annoying, because frankly nekkid nudity was all she could bring to the
party.

Mason Barge

Apr 18, 2013, 6:08:28 PM4/18/13
On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 13:10:41 -0700, anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net>
Or, maybe it was not such a bad thing. I'm remembering when we
finally saw why Neve Campbell had such a strict no-nudity clause.

But Cersei is supposed to be blonde AND beautiful. Why couldn't they
get that chick from Spartacus?

David Barnett

Apr 18, 2013, 6:57:07 PM4/18/13
In article <kkkq3p$d8u$1...@dont-email.me>, Obv...@aol.com
says...
Thanks for the url.
I really like her as an actress, but she is not my type
sexually.

--
David Barnett

David Barnett

Apr 18, 2013, 7:08:25 PM4/18/13
In article <at7ru1...@mid.individual.net>,
capri...@gmail.com says...
I liked the episode, as usual.
As to the end of the show, I suppose that is still a
decision to be made.

--
David Barnett

anim8rFSK

Apr 18, 2013, 7:49:57 PM4/18/13
In article <MPG.2bdb2550a...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Then I get her! She and Yvonne and I will live happily ever after!!!!!

anim8rFSK

Apr 18, 2013, 7:52:36 PM4/18/13
In article <rir0n81bbbonctpkr...@4ax.com>,
yeah, she's a good example. I've seen Headey nekkid and it wasn't any
great shakes either.

> But Cersei is supposed to be blonde AND beautiful. Why couldn't they
> get that chick from Spartacus?

David Barnett

Apr 18, 2013, 9:24:03 PM4/18/13
In article <anim8rfsk-8AE1A0.16495718042013
@news.easynews.com>, anim...@cox.net says...
You can have Jaime but I'll have Yvonne.
LOL

--
David Barnett

anim8rFSK

Apr 19, 2013, 12:10:01 AM4/19/13
In article <MPG.2bdb47bc...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Dexter has had them both :(

Jim G.

Apr 20, 2013, 4:04:09 PM4/20/13
anim8rFSK sent the following on Thu, 18 Apr 2013 13:10:41 -0700:
Her exchanges with Tyrion (Dinklage) have been pretty good, but that's
more a reflection of Dinklage than of her. Still, she does seem to be
able to rise to the occasion every once in a while. But I would add to
what someone said earlier by suggesting that she usually looks like she
just smelled her *own* fart.

Adam H. Kerman

Apr 21, 2013, 1:48:56 PM4/21/13
She's not that colorless!