What Did You Watch? 2017-11-11 (Saturday)

Obveeus

Nov 12, 2017, 9:31:46 AM11/12/17
I watched:

NCAAF: Bits of the Notre Dame vs. Miami game. I thought that Notre
Dame was evolving into a championship contender this season, so this
game really surprised me. Parts of Arizona vs. Oregon State. I know
keeping players healthy is important and I know that Tate doesn't really
have a shot at the Heisman. However, he does have a legitimate shot to
be on stage as one of the Heisman contenders and so it was a bit
disappointing to see him taken out of the game after the third quarter,
thus hurting his all important stats.

DONALD CRIED: A 2016 micro budget film written, directed, and starring
Kris Avedisian. This entire film relied almost entirely on two guys
talking to each other. I suppose this film is a good lesson in why you
should not try to reconnect with high school friends. If you want to
watch a raw effort in first time film making, this is a decent example.

JACK WHITEHALL AT LARGE: A 2017 Netflix stand up comedy routine
performed in front of a crowd of well over 1,000 in a tiered theater in
England. This standup special is peppered with raw language and sexual
innuendo, but more than anything it just felt juvenile.

MEA CULPA: A 2017 Netflix comedy routine performed in front of a crowd
of about 100 in what looked like a garage filed with folding chairs.
This stand-up special was performed in Spanish, filled with racist
drivel and a performer who looked/acted more like one of those Spanish
Language news hosts that continually has 'accidental' wardrobe
malfunctions. The subtitles weren't doing a good job of translating the
humor and I didn't make it through the entire show.

What did you watch?

Ubiquitous

Nov 12, 2017, 9:35:32 AM11/12/17
On Veterans' day, I watched:

AIRWOLF:
"The Truth About Holly". A mobster demands the return of Dominic's
niece after Hawke and Dominic rescue her from his Mexican hideaway. In
an interesting twist, it turns out the mobster DIDN'T want her b/c
she's a crazy pyscho bitch.

CHEATERS

THE WORLD WARS:
"Trial by Fire". An assassination sparks a global conflict in the
opener of this series examining World War I and World War II from the
perspective of powerful leaders who were involved in the fighting.

THE HAUNTING:
This was the lame remake. I only halfwatched this b/c nothing better
was on to completion. Yeah, the original was far superior to this mess.

RAWHIDE:
"Crossing at White Feather". The drive is endangered by scout Jonas
Bolt, an unreliable loafer and drunk whom Rowdy is reluctant to fire.

WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE:
"Desert Seed". Josh goes after a fugitive who killed in self-defense.

WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE:
"12 Hours to Crazy Horse". Josh is bringing an accused murderer to
trial. But the brother of the murder victim wants to mete out his own
brand of justice.

THE RIFLEMAN:
"The Guest". Hired to murder Lucas, Mario Orsatti befriends the
Rifleman as he moves in for the kill.

THE RIFLEMAN:
"Old Man Running AKA The Wanted Man". Lucas, who blames his wife's
death on his father-in-law, refuses to help the old man elude gunmen.

THE WILD WILD WEST:
"The Night of the Camera". Bosley Cranston, a bumbling nebbish
greenhorn agent with a photographic memory, (hey, it's Pat Paulsen!)
gives his all to help West crack an opium ring. Artie is replaced in
thid one because Ross Martin had a heart attack after filming the
previous ep. Also, if memory serves, opium wasn't illegal yet.

WONDER WOMAN:
"Hot Wheels". Diana teams up with someone investigating a car theft
ring because the AIDC wants a car hood ornament.

SVENGHOULIE:
"Barracuda". A lame Jaws rip off.

FAMILY GUY:
"Stewie, Chris & Brian's Excellent Adventure". To help Chris ace his
ninth grade history class, Stewie and Brian employ the time travel
machine for educational purposes. Not surprisingly, all three get stuck
in the past. I was wondering why they were worried about getting on the
Titanic in England when I was sure it had departed from America, then
laughed at the epilog saying all the history came from Wikipedia.

FAMILY GUY:
"Our Idiot Brian". After flunking Meg's SAT, Brian realizes he's
stupid. Peter then shows him the joys of being stupid.

GHOST ADVENTURES:
"Heritage Junction".

OSCAR PISTORIUS: BLADE RUNNER KILLER:
I had litle interest in watching this, other than seeing him in his
gear. It was pretty funny how much effort was spent not showing the
actor's legs or making him walk around like normal. I lost interest
after ten minutes.

ANDROID POLICEMAN:
A blatent rip-off of ROBOCOP.

TCM UNDERGROUND:
"Red Sonja". A woman seeks revenge on the evil queen by stealing her
magic orb. Ahnold plays not-Conan.

TCM UNDERGROUND:
"Tarzan, The Ape Man". In this Bo Dereck vehicle, James Parker is in
Africa looking for a mythical white ape when his wife dies. He is
joined by his estranged daughter, Jane. Together, they learn this white
ape is Tarzan, a man who was raised by apes in the jungle. Parker
continues to hunt Tarzan, but now with the purpose of bringing him back
to England, dead or alive. Tarzan responds to the situation by
kidnapping Jane, and the two are fascinated by each other. When natives
take Jane with the intent of sacrificing her, Tarzan springs into
action. I gave up soon after Tarzan showed up because I could no longer
take all the ACTING! and CINEMATOGRAPHY! going on.

What did you watch?

Hass

Nov 12, 2017, 10:51:42 AM11/12/17
People with your affliction need to exercise...15 hours in front of the TV will not help anything.

Arthur Lipscomb

Nov 12, 2017, 12:04:27 PM11/12/17
Stranger Things (Netflix streaming) - I binged through 4 more episodes
of season two. It was slightly above background noise. I did get a bit
of a chuckle when one of the kids got a pet tadpole that on the Surface
was clearly a Nim.

Oscar Pistorius: Blade Runner Killer (Lifetime) - Paint by numbers
biopic. It would have been better if they told it straight forward
instead of jumping around the timeline.

SNL - Tiffany Haddish, who I've never heard of before, hosts a pretty
good episode. I'm impressed she got in a "Coming To America" joke and
made it work. It's the attention to detail on a joke that the younger
audience probably didn't get at all that I really appreciated.

Once Upon a Time - "Wake Up Call" - I think this was already covered.
The show is definitely getting better.

Justice League Action - "System Error" - Batman realizes he and the
other members are robots. OK episode but this would have benefited if
the episode was longer instead of quickly squeezing in the revelation
and resolution into 12 minutes.

"Race Against Crime" (OnDemand) - Every once in a while they upload the
next week's episode early and they did it again here. Superman and The
Flash race and I wouldn't be surprised if they just reused the same
animation from the Justice League(?) episode where they raced. From my
memory it was almost identical. Anyway, Luthor taps into the speed
force to cause trouble. Not bad.

6 Days (Netflix rental) Based on a real life 1980 hostage situation in
England, Mark Strong stars as the cop who has to negotiate with the
hostage takers who make demands that he has *no* ability to follow
through on. It was OK I guess.

Jamesy Boy (Netflix rental) Yet another biopic, this time about a teen
(Spencer Lofranco) who goes to jail where he learns the error of his
ways. While in jail he meets Ving Rhames as a lifer with lessons to
teach and James Woods as the head cop who may or may not be trying to
rehabilitate him. I guess it was more or less an OK movie. But
something felt off about it at first. While watching I thought this was
maybe taking place in England, but it was taking place in America. I
think the problem was there were no closed captions on the disc and
everyone sounded like they were mumbling.

anim8rfsk

Nov 12, 2017, 12:19:21 PM11/12/17
In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
wrote:

> On Veterans' day, I watched:
>
> AIRWOLF:
> "The Truth About Holly". A mobster demands the return of Dominic's
> niece after Hawke and Dominic rescue her from his Mexican hideaway. In
> an interesting twist, it turns out the mobster DIDN'T want her b/c
> she's a crazy pyscho bitch.

This is an almost exact remake of a Magnum PI episode.

> THE WILD WILD WEST:
> "The Night of the Camera". Bosley Cranston, a bumbling nebbish
> greenhorn agent with a photographic memory, (hey, it's Pat Paulsen!)
> gives his all to help West crack an opium ring. Artie is replaced in
> thid one because Ross Martin had a heart attack after filming the
> previous ep. Also, if memory serves, opium wasn't illegal yet.

Yeah, that's a problem. They were cracking down on opium dens in San
Francisco by then, but not the drug itself.

> WONDER WOMAN:
> "Hot Wheels". Diana teams up with someone investigating a car theft
> ring because the AIDC wants a car hood ornament.

If not Anne Collins, it was certainly worthy of her.

> SVENGHOULIE:
> "Barracuda". A lame Jaws rip off.

recorded

> FAMILY GUY:
> "Stewie, Chris & Brian's Excellent Adventure". To help Chris ace his
> ninth grade history class, Stewie and Brian employ the time travel
> machine for educational purposes. Not surprisingly, all three get stuck
> in the past. I was wondering why they were worried about getting on the
> Titanic in England when I was sure it had departed from America, then
> laughed at the epilog saying all the history came from Wikipedia.

The Titanic was sailing from England to New York - any good TIME TUNNEL
fan would know that!

> What did you watch?

Retro westerns, background noise, typical Saturday stuff, and then fell
asleep to Magnum PI.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

anim8rfsk

Nov 12, 2017, 12:27:32 PM11/12/17
In article <ou9uup$92q$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> SNL - Tiffany Haddish, who I've never heard of before, hosts a pretty
> good episode. I'm impressed she got in a "Coming To America" joke and
> made it work. It's the attention to detail on a joke that the younger
> audience probably didn't get at all that I really appreciated.

Tiffany Sarac Haddish (born December 3, 1979)[1] is an American comedian
and actress.[2][3] She began her career appearing on television stand-up
shows and sitcoms, before playing a series regular role in the first
season of the Oprah Winfrey Network prime time soap opera, If Loving You
Is Wrong. Haddish had breakout roles in the critically acclaimed NBC
comedy series The Carmichael Show from 2015 to 2017, as well as the 2016
action comedy film Keanu. In 2017, she co-starred in the comedy film
Girls Trip.

Jesus. I *still* don't know who she is.

Ian J. Ball

Nov 12, 2017, 12:32:38 PM11/12/17
On 2017-11-12 14:31:40 +0000, Obveeus said:

> What did you watch?

Lots of movies...:

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (an HBO) - This took way
too long to get going, with way too much expository dialogue to set
this whole thing up. On the plus side, it does get more interesting at
the end, with a pretty good showdown. But it takes too long to get
there. Also, it does sport Samuel L. Jackson scenery chewing, so
there's that. But, the whole thing with "time loops" was so confusing,
that I'm still not sure I understand the ending. Thus I can't recommend
this one.
P.S. What the Hell?! The striking redhead in this, British actress
Lauren McCrostie, has not worked *at all* since this flick! WTF?!!
(Let's hope she's just off doing college or something, and her lack of
work is not due to casting directors being too dumb to hire her!...)

S.W.A.T. (recorded) - This episode was already roasted previously in
this group, and pretty deservedly so. About the only sort of "good"
thing is that this second epie tried to dial down Jim Street just a
tad. But the idolatry of Shemar! continues, and only CSI:HORATIO!!1!
should try to get away with this... :|

Tekken: Kazuya's Revenge (a Showtime) - I want to say that I've seen
part of the original "Tekken" flick with Kelly Overton before... no
matter what, I'm quite sure it's better than this was!!
This was some low-budget direct-to-video nonsense. It managed one
pretty good fight scene near the end, and fair amount of gratituous
nudity, but was basically without merit aside from that, filled with
pointless long-sequence close-ups and a completely unnecessary plot
"twist" at the end. The only noteworthy thing here was co-star Kelly
Wenham, who is a striking-looking, apparently British actress. Oh, and
they managed to get back Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa from the first "Tekken"
flick. The rest of this is a big "miss" however... :/

Van Helsing (recorded) - "Veritas Vincit". They *finally* unmask Ninja
Grrl! and unsurprisingly this turns out to be "Rookie Bleu(!)'s" Missy
Peregrym. Also, unsurprisingly, after the two of them enter "The Red
Door", they ultimately discover that they are related, and that they
share knowledge of a secret "key" that binds them together. Meanwhile,
Vanessa is being a bitch, and refusing to "turn back" Axel. (This is a
ridiculous plot development - what happened with daughter Dylan was
clearly a "one-off" as multiple people made clear...) And Doc almost
gets Julius killed. No Flesh, Mohammed, or Vamp Sam (outside of a V.O.
in Vanessa's dream at the beginning) in this epie, though we do get a
surprise cameo from Susan.
This ends with Vanessa, and Peregrym's Scarlett, face to face with
Dmitri and a vampire horde - next episode will pick up with that
battle...

Split (recorded of HBO) - A pretty dang good return to form for M.
Night Shyamalan, sporting a good performance from Anya Taylor-Joy.
(Hey, look! It's million-year-old Betty Buckley as James McAvoy's
headshrinker!!)
No doubt, the underlying premise of this one is preposterous. But it
delivers on being a taut thriller/horror flick. I also did like the
unexpected cameo/tie-in to one of Shyamalan's previous flicks. Heh.

Midnight Special (a Cinemax) - This is a weird little flick. I agree
with the review that said that while writer-director was trying for an
homage to/inspired-by Spielberg, this seemed to lack all of the
emotionalism/emotional manipulation of a Spielberg flick. However, I
consider that more a "feature" than a "bug"!! Anyway, this was a weird
little flick, but it kept my attention throughout. I'm not 100% sold on
the "payoff" from this one, but it's not enough to sabotage the whole
flick for me. So, mild recommend, if you're up for this sort of flick.

I also saw some of "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" - this may be my
favorite "guilty pleasure" flick of all time(!): it's inevitable that
whenever I stumble across it channel surfing I stay and watch it
through to the end...

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 12, 2017, 1:00:58 PM11/12/17
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>SNL - Tiffany Haddish, who I've never heard of before, hosts a pretty
>>good episode. I'm impressed she got in a "Coming To America" joke and
>>made it work. It's the attention to detail on a joke that the younger
>>audience probably didn't get at all that I really appreciated.

>Tiffany Sarac Haddish (born December 3, 1979)[1] is an American comedian
>and actress.[2][3] She began her career appearing on television stand-up
>shows and sitcoms, before playing a series regular role in the first
>season of the Oprah Winfrey Network prime time soap opera, If Loving You
>Is Wrong. Haddish had breakout roles in the critically acclaimed NBC
>comedy series The Carmichael Show from 2015 to 2017, as well as the 2016
>action comedy film Keanu. In 2017, she co-starred in the comedy film
>Girls Trip.

>Jesus. I *still* don't know who she is.

You watched an episode of The Carmichael Show to tell me that I was
wrong for thinking it was funny. She played Nekeisha, Jerrod's habitual
criminal sister-in-law but still more together than his idiot brother.

Arthur Lipscomb

Nov 12, 2017, 1:07:14 PM11/12/17
On 11/12/2017 9:32 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2017-11-12 14:31:40 +0000, Obveeus said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Lots of movies...:
>
> Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (an HBO) - This took way too
> long to get going, with way too much expository dialogue to set this
> whole thing up. On the plus side, it does get more interesting at the
> end, with a pretty good showdown. But it takes too long to get there.
> Also, it does sport Samuel L. Jackson scenery chewing, so there's that.
> But, the whole thing with "time loops" was so confusing, that I'm still
> not sure I understand the ending. Thus I can't recommend this one.
>    P.S. What the Hell?! The striking redhead in this, British actress
> Lauren McCrostie, has not worked *at all* since this flick! WTF?!!
> (Let's hope she's just off doing college or something, and her lack of
> work is not due to casting directors being too dumb to hire her!...)

As I recall, I liked this. But when I saw it in the theater, they had
the aspect ratio screwed up. Did you watch it pan and scanned on HBO?
I'll revisit it sooner or later.

> S.W.A.T. (recorded) - This episode was already roasted previously in
> this group, and pretty deservedly so. About the only sort of "good"
> thing is that this second epie tried to dial down Jim Street just a tad.
> But the idolatry of Shemar! continues, and only CSI:HORATIO!!1! should
> try to get away with this...  :|

I started watched the first episode then stopped after a minute or two
when I remembered I wanted to rewatch the movie first. Then I never got
around to rewatching the movie. So far, from what I'm hearing I'm not
in any hurry to get to this series.
This movie is so hard to discuss without massive spoilers about that
ending...You know they are doing a sequel, that um, ties it all
together...filming now... I'll be watching several Shyamalan movies to
prep for it's release. :-)

Dimensional Traveler

Nov 12, 2017, 2:25:07 PM11/12/17
On 11/12/2017 6:31 AM, Obveeus wrote:
> I watched:

The first three episodes from season 2 of 'The Good Place'. Funny with
one joke actually getting an audible snicker from me. But I am
beginning to wonder if all the demons and minions of evil are
incompetent. (No spoilers please.)

instinct are running screaming.

Dimensional Traveler

Nov 12, 2017, 2:25:56 PM11/12/17
I'll bet Ian does.

Ubiquitous

Nov 12, 2017, 2:58:19 PM11/12/17
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>> SNL - Tiffany Haddish, who I've never heard of before, hosts a pretty
>> good episode. I'm impressed she got in a "Coming To America" joke and
>> made it work. It's the attention to detail on a joke that the younger
>> audience probably didn't get at all that I really appreciated.
>
>Tiffany Sarac Haddish (born December 3, 1979)[1] is an American comedian
>and actress.[2][3] She began her career appearing on television stand-up
>shows and sitcoms, before playing a series regular role in the first
>season of the Oprah Winfrey Network prime time soap opera, If Loving You
>Is Wrong. Haddish had breakout roles in the critically acclaimed NBC
>comedy series The Carmichael Show from 2015 to 2017, as well as the 2016
>action comedy film Keanu. In 2017, she co-starred in the comedy film
>Girls Trip.
>
>Jesus. I *still* don't know who she is.

Phew! I was worried I was the only one!

anim8rfsk

Nov 12, 2017, 3:21:43 PM11/12/17
In article <oua0jj$lrv$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2017-11-12 14:31:40 +0000, Obveeus said:
>
> > What did you watch?
>
> Lots of movies...:
>
> Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (an HBO) - This took way
> too long to get going, with way too much expository dialogue to set
> this whole thing up. On the plus side, it does get more interesting at
> the end, with a pretty good showdown. But it takes too long to get
> there. Also, it does sport Samuel L. Jackson scenery chewing, so
> there's that. But, the whole thing with "time loops" was so confusing,
> that I'm still not sure I understand the ending. Thus I can't recommend
> this one.
> P.S. What the Hell?! The striking redhead in this, British actress
> Lauren McCrostie, has not worked *at all* since this flick! WTF?!!

Except for her role as LUCY in SECOND SKIN (2016) and her role as LEILA
in SCHOOLGIRLS (2016). And of course she's the ambassador for the
Barnes Film Festival (2017). And she's a nutjob environmental vegan.
And dyslexic.

> (Let's hope she's just off doing college or something, and her lack of
> work is not due to casting directors being too dumb to hire her!...)

Or her being too weak from malnutrition to audition.

> Tekken: Kazuya's Revenge (a Showtime) - I want to say that I've seen
> part of the original "Tekken" flick with Kelly Overton before... no
> matter what, I'm quite sure it's better than this was!!
> This was some low-budget direct-to-video nonsense. It managed one
> pretty good fight scene near the end, and fair amount of gratituous
> nudity, but was basically without merit aside from that, filled with
> pointless long-sequence close-ups and a completely unnecessary plot
> "twist" at the end. The only noteworthy thing here was co-star Kelly
> Wenham, who is a striking-looking, apparently British actress.

Born in Stockport UK.
http://ilarge.lisimg.com/image/8391491/804full-kelly-wenham.jpg

Apparently she was nudely nekkid in LIFE ON MARS and DRACULA THE DARK
PRINCE (which seems to feature a blonde Dracula???)
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A1+YQyn-qZL._RI_.jpg

> Van Helsing (recorded) - "Veritas Vincit". They *finally* unmask Ninja
> Grrl! and unsurprisingly this turns out to be "Rookie Bleu(!)'s" Missy
> Peregrym.

Didn't she Chuck Fandral?

> Split (recorded of HBO) - A pretty dang good return to form for M.
> Night Shyamalan, sporting a good performance from Anya Taylor-Joy.
> (Hey, look! It's million-year-old Betty Buckley as James McAvoy's
> headshrinker!!)

Ewwww

anim8rfsk

Nov 12, 2017, 3:24:11 PM11/12/17
In article <oua28n$v7r$2...@dont-email.me>,
I was right. That wasn't funny.

Ian J. Ball

Nov 12, 2017, 3:55:10 PM11/12/17
On 2017-11-12 18:07:10 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 11/12/2017 9:32 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2017-11-12 14:31:40 +0000, Obveeus said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Lots of movies...:
>>
>> Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (an HBO) - This took way
>> too long to get going, with way too much expository dialogue to set
>> this whole thing up. On the plus side, it does get more interesting at
>> the end, with a pretty good showdown. But it takes too long to get
>> there. Also, it does sport Samuel L. Jackson scenery chewing, so
>> there's that. But, the whole thing with "time loops" was so confusing,
>> that I'm still not sure I understand the ending. Thus I can't recommend
>> this one.
>>    P.S. What the Hell?! The striking redhead in this, British actress
>> Lauren McCrostie, has not worked *at all* since this flick! WTF?!!
>> (Let's hope she's just off doing college or something, and her lack of
>> work is not due to casting directors being too dumb to hire her!...)
>
> As I recall, I liked this. But when I saw it in the theater, they had
> the aspect ratio screwed up. Did you watch it pan and scanned on HBO?

I didn't notice that, but I wasn't looking for it either...

Ian J. Ball

Nov 12, 2017, 3:59:59 PM11/12/17
On 2017-11-12 17:32:36 +0000, Ian J. Ball said:

> On 2017-11-12 14:31:40 +0000, Obveeus said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Lots of movies...:

Forgot one:

Clockstoppers (HBO Family) - Geezus - I forgot how effing HOTT Paula
Garces was back in the day!! The funny part here is that she was still
apparently about 28 when this flick was filmed, but easily passes for
the decade-younger age of her character!...
Anyway, it's been years since I had seen this flick. It's kind of
fun for its cast - e.g. French Stewart (back when he was a "thing"),
Michael Biehn, a young Jason George in a minor role, wordless hottie
Linda Kim in another minor role, and Jesse Bradford (back when he was
still a "thing")... But, really, Garces' hottiness is what makes this
worth watching!! ;p

anim8rfsk

Nov 12, 2017, 4:35:05 PM11/12/17
THOR THE DARK WORLD

Sigh. Another horrid outing for my favorite superhero.

It's almost not bad until Jane Foster shows up, and it augers straight
in and never digs it's way out.

When the Hell did the Rainbow Bridge become a suspension bridge?

Heimdall: "I cannot and shalt not doeth anything against my Liege
Odin's wishes"
Thor: "And I would never asketh you toeth"
next scene, Thor is planning treason
a couple scenes later, Heimdall is apologizing to Odin for his part in
the treason.

The whole damn *movie* is like that, as if whoever was writing this
scene hadn't seen what went before!

Christopher Eccelston is the last dark elf!
Whoops, no, there's another ...
Eccles kills him, so we're back down to one.
So who are all the cannon fodder and pilot dark elfs just *everywhere*?

Why are both sides flying around spaceships shooting each other with
STAR WARS sound effects?

Look Jane Foster's got a hologram from Total Recall! Look, all she
managed to do with it is get Thor's mom killed. What did any of *that*
accomplish?

They bleached Zach Levy for *this*?

Why is Asgard filmed just as dark as the dark realms? Would it be nice
if Asgard was bright and shiny and provided some, you know, contrast?

Nice fake out with the behanding, although they probably got it from THE
EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and not the actual Thor comic storyline.

This is damn near INHUMANS bad.

David Barnett

Nov 12, 2017, 6:09:23 PM11/12/17
In article <ou9m0f$64c$1...@dont-email.me>, Obv...@aol.com says...

> What did you watch?

On Sat Nov 11 I watched:

DCI BANKS: To Burn in Every Drop of Blood (5x1),(5x2)
Waited until the 2nd episode was recorded.

ENDEAVOUR: Trove
I didn't realize I had missed this the first time around,
and missed the encore airing.
So iVIEW again
Another typical UK show.

THE FALL: The Gates of Light
A bit like LIAR in that is he "fair dinkum" or malingering,
& easy to guess which.

--
David Barnett

Arthur Lipscomb

Nov 12, 2017, 9:21:26 PM11/12/17
On 11/12/2017 1:34 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> THOR THE DARK WORLD
>
> Sigh. Another horrid outing for my favorite superhero.
>
> It's almost not bad until Jane Foster shows up, and it augers straight
> in and never digs it's way out.
>
> When the Hell did the Rainbow Bridge become a suspension bridge?
>
> Heimdall: "I cannot and shalt not doeth anything against my Liege
> Odin's wishes"
> Thor: "And I would never asketh you toeth"
> next scene, Thor is planning treason
> a couple scenes later, Heimdall is apologizing to Odin for his part in
> the treason.
>
> The whole damn *movie* is like that, as if whoever was writing this
> scene hadn't seen what went before!
>
> Christopher Eccelston is the last dark elf!
> Whoops, no, there's another ...
> Eccles kills him, so we're back down to one.
> So who are all the cannon fodder and pilot dark elfs just *everywhere*?

I think they were all in cryo freeze.

> Why are both sides flying around spaceships shooting each other with
> STAR WARS sound effects?

Because the Flash Gordon sound effects were too cheesy :-P

> Look Jane Foster's got a hologram from Total Recall! Look, all she
> managed to do with it is get Thor's mom killed. What did any of *that*
> accomplish?

It got Loki to join up with Thor.

> They bleached Zach Levy for *this*?

He'll dye it back for Shazam. I'll actually see him at a convention
next month. :-)

> Why is Asgard filmed just as dark as the dark realms? Would it be nice
> if Asgard was bright and shiny and provided some, you know, contrast?
>
> Nice fake out with the behanding, although they probably got it from THE
> EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and not the actual Thor comic storyline.
>
> This is damn near INHUMANS bad.

You take that back!!! :-/

anim8rfsk

Nov 12, 2017, 10:32:11 PM11/12/17
In article <ouavj3$dbk$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> On 11/12/2017 1:34 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > THOR THE DARK WORLD
> >
> > Sigh. Another horrid outing for my favorite superhero.
> >
> > It's almost not bad until Jane Foster shows up, and it augers straight
> > in and never digs it's way out.
> >
> > When the Hell did the Rainbow Bridge become a suspension bridge?
> >
> > Heimdall: "I cannot and shalt not doeth anything against my Liege
> > Odin's wishes"
> > Thor: "And I would never asketh you toeth"
> > next scene, Thor is planning treason
> > a couple scenes later, Heimdall is apologizing to Odin for his part in
> > the treason.
> >
> > The whole damn *movie* is like that, as if whoever was writing this
> > scene hadn't seen what went before!
> >
> > Christopher Eccelston is the last dark elf!
> > Whoops, no, there's another ...
> > Eccles kills him, so we're back down to one.
> > So who are all the cannon fodder and pilot dark elfs just *everywhere*?
> >
> I think they were all in cryo freeze.

Be nice if they'd addressed that rather than just keep saying THERE
AREN'T ANY LEFT.

> > Why are both sides flying around spaceships shooting each other with
> > STAR WARS sound effects?
> >
> Because the Flash Gordon sound effects were too cheesy :-P

Hee hee - I did keep thinking "this feels like Flash ooo-aaah Gordon"
maybe more than I did during the first one.

> > Look Jane Foster's got a hologram from Total Recall! Look, all she
> > managed to do with it is get Thor's mom killed. What did any of *that*
> > accomplish?
> >

> It got Loki to join up with Thor.

And die horribly immediately!

> > They bleached Zach Levy for *this*?
> >
> He'll dye it back for Shazam. I'll actually see him at a convention
> next month. :-)

Cool. He tweeted that he's going to be in the gym the rest of his life.

> > Why is Asgard filmed just as dark as the dark realms? Would it be nice
> > if Asgard was bright and shiny and provided some, you know, contrast?
> >
> > Nice fake out with the behanding, although they probably got it from THE
> > EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and not the actual Thor comic storyline.
> >
> > This is damn near INHUMANS bad.
> >

> You take that back!!! :-/

I'm sorry, but I'm serious.

Arthur Lipscomb

Nov 12, 2017, 11:02:52 PM11/12/17
On 11/12/2017 7:32 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <ouavj3$dbk$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> On 11/12/2017 1:34 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>>> THOR THE DARK WORLD
>>>
>>> Sigh. Another horrid outing for my favorite superhero.
>>>
>>> It's almost not bad until Jane Foster shows up, and it augers straight
>>> in and never digs it's way out.
>>>
>>> When the Hell did the Rainbow Bridge become a suspension bridge?
>>>
>>> Heimdall: "I cannot and shalt not doeth anything against my Liege
>>> Odin's wishes"
>>> Thor: "And I would never asketh you toeth"
>>> next scene, Thor is planning treason
>>> a couple scenes later, Heimdall is apologizing to Odin for his part in
>>> the treason.
>>>
>>> The whole damn *movie* is like that, as if whoever was writing this
>>> scene hadn't seen what went before!
>>>
>>> Christopher Eccelston is the last dark elf!
>>> Whoops, no, there's another ...
>>> Eccles kills him, so we're back down to one.
>>> So who are all the cannon fodder and pilot dark elfs just *everywhere*?
>>>
>> I think they were all in cryo freeze.
>
> Be nice if they'd addressed that rather than just keep saying THERE
> AREN'T ANY LEFT.

But we *saw* them. The entire population of what might have been
billions was reduced to a spaceship so maybe they didn't mean it
literally but there were only a handful left.

>>> Why are both sides flying around spaceships shooting each other with
>>> STAR WARS sound effects?
>>>
>> Because the Flash Gordon sound effects were too cheesy :-P
>
> Hee hee - I did keep thinking "this feels like Flash ooo-aaah Gordon"
> maybe more than I did during the first one.
>
>>> Look Jane Foster's got a hologram from Total Recall! Look, all she
>>> managed to do with it is get Thor's mom killed. What did any of *that*
>>> accomplish?
>>>

>> It got Loki to join up with Thor.
>
> And die horribly immediately!

Um, you did watch the whole movie right?

>>> They bleached Zach Levy for *this*?
>>>
>> He'll dye it back for Shazam. I'll actually see him at a convention
>> next month. :-)
>
> Cool. He tweeted that he's going to be in the gym the rest of his life.
>
>>> Why is Asgard filmed just as dark as the dark realms? Would it be nice
>>> if Asgard was bright and shiny and provided some, you know, contrast?
>>>
>>> Nice fake out with the behanding, although they probably got it from THE
>>> EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and not the actual Thor comic storyline.
>>>
>>> This is damn near INHUMANS bad.
>>>

>> You take that back!!! :-/
>
> I'm sorry, but I'm serious.

I see now Black Bolt needs to have a few words with you about why his
show is so much worse.

Obveeus

Nov 12, 2017, 11:25:28 PM11/12/17
For what it is worth, the third entry in the THOR series is better than
the first two.

anim8rfsk

Nov 12, 2017, 11:32:36 PM11/12/17
In article <oub6rm$cc5$5...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
So I have heard.

anim8rfsk

Nov 12, 2017, 11:34:56 PM11/12/17
In article <oub5h9$8l0$1...@dont-email.me>,
Then they really should have stopped saying there weren't any.

> >> Because the Flash Gordon sound effects were too cheesy :-P
> >
> > Hee hee - I did keep thinking "this feels like Flash ooo-aaah Gordon"
> > maybe more than I did during the first one.

> >> It got Loki to join up with Thor.
> >
> > And die horribly immediately!
>
> Um, you did watch the whole movie right?

Yes. One of the end credit Easter Eggs was the best part of the whole
movie, and I've already forgotten what it was.

> >> He'll dye it back for Shazam. I'll actually see him at a convention
> >> next month. :-)
> >
> > Cool. He tweeted that he's going to be in the gym the rest of his life.

> >> You take that back!!! :-/
> >
> > I'm sorry, but I'm serious.
> >

> I see now Black Bolt needs to have a few words with you about why his
> show is so much worse.

That should make it Crystal clear.

BTR1701

Nov 13, 2017, 12:12:11 AM11/13/17
But it leaves Thor without Mjolnir, having discovered that it was nothing
but a crutch all along.

That doesn't sit well with me. Thor without his hammer is like Spider Man
without his webs or Cap without his shield. No, sir, I don't think I like
it.

Dimensional Traveler

Nov 13, 2017, 1:12:13 AM11/13/17
No Natalie Portman in this one, right?

anim8rfsk

Nov 13, 2017, 7:38:49 AM11/13/17

anim8rfsk

Nov 13, 2017, 7:39:08 AM11/13/17
In article <oubd3r$bru$1...@dont-email.me>,
He just *said* it was better. Duh.

Obveeus

Nov 13, 2017, 8:54:10 AM11/13/17
True. She decided she didn't want to waste her time being a puny human
sidekick in the series and I think she made the right move both for
herself and for the series. The new female 'sidekick' is much better
written and more worthy of the material.

anim8rfsk

Nov 13, 2017, 12:03:46 PM11/13/17
In article <ouc85v$19p$2...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
What of Kat Denning?

Obveeus

Nov 13, 2017, 12:43:21 PM11/13/17

On 11/13/2017 12:03 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <ouc85v$19p$2...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:

>>> No Natalie Portman in this one, right?
>>
>> True. She decided she didn't want to waste her time being a puny human
>> sidekick in the series and I think she made the right move both for
>> herself and for the series. The new female 'sidekick' is much better
>> written and more worthy of the material.
>
> What of Kat Denning?

Apparently, Kat Denning and Stellan Skarsgard were collateral damage in
the third movie's non-inclusion, though they could always come back in
future films, even non THOR films since Skargard is part of the AVENGERS
science team.

anim8rfsk

Nov 13, 2017, 1:05:00 PM11/13/17
In article <oucljn$e8c$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
KTY

Jim G.

Nov 13, 2017, 3:27:47 PM11/13/17
Obveeus sent the following on 11/12/2017 at 08:31 AM:
> NCAAF: Bits of the Notre Dame vs. Miami game. I thought that Notre
> Dame was evolving into a championship contender this season, so this
> game really surprised me.

I've spent all season waiting for the smoke and mirrors to make
themselves apparent. But they hadn't done so yet, so I *finally*
starting to believe that they could amount to something this year. Then
they went to Miami and laid a big, steaming pile at midfield. I'm
surprised that they're still in the Top Ten.

On a related note, the only time I've ever felt even remotely unsafe at
a sporting event was the one (and only) time that I went to an Irish
football game in Miami. Scary, scary crowd. There's rudeness in a lot of
stadiums, but this was on an entirely different level.

"Captain, respectfully submit that the attractiveness of the ship's
occupant makes the rescue imperative." -- Lt. Gordon Malloy, THE ORVILLE

TeeJay1952

Nov 14, 2017, 5:35:06 AM11/14/17
On 11/13/2017 3:27 PM, Jim G. wrote:
> On a related note, the only time I've ever felt even remotely unsafe at
> a sporting event was the one (and only) time that I went to an Irish
> football game in Miami. Scary, scary crowd. There's rudeness in a lot of
> stadiums, but this was on an entirely different level.
Try Ohio State when Michigan comes to town!
Tee (Go Blue) Jay

bruce2...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2017, 10:02:42 AM11/14/17
Its nothing like the original 70's cartoon. You know, where he had one of those lighting bolts boomerang back around him by an opponent.

Arthur Lipscomb

Nov 14, 2017, 10:04:52 AM11/14/17
When I was about 10 years old my father took me to a football game.
Now, I *hate* sports and *especially* football! But I guess he was
trying to bond with or something and get me to like football so I
figured whatever. I asked my father which teams were playing and he
told me, I *think* it was Stanford vs. visiting team. We were sitting
in the vising team section. Being a perfectly logical 10 year old
child, I concluded I should pick a team to root for and being equally
logical, I concluded I should root for the home team. Why not? It's
not like I cared which team won anyway. So I began to cheer for the
home team, prompting my father to tell me to stop it, that I had to root
for the visiting team since we were in the visiting team section. I
*think* there were some fans starting to get vocally rowdy about my
cheers too. If anything that just egged me on. Now there are some
times you have to take a stand in life on principal, I chose that time
to take a stand on principal, that if I'm at the home team stadium them
I'm going to root for the home team, who cares what the visiting team's
fans think! As I recall, it took a while but my father finally
convinced me it would be good for our health if I didn't root for the
home team. Now that I think about it, I don't think he ever took me to
another football game after that.

Jim G.

Nov 14, 2017, 3:20:38 PM11/14/17
TeeJay1952 sent the following on 11/14/2017 at 04:34 AM:
That's when I root for the meteor. Every year. Whether it's Columbus or
Ann Arbor. :)

Jim G.

Nov 14, 2017, 3:23:56 PM11/14/17
Arthur Lipscomb sent the following on 11/14/2017 at 09:04 AM:
> On 11/14/2017 2:34 AM, TeeJay1952 wrote:
>> On 11/13/2017 3:27 PM, Jim G. wrote:
>>> On a related note, the only time I've ever felt even remotely unsafe
>>> at a sporting event was the one (and only) time that I went to an
>>> Irish football game in Miami. Scary, scary crowd. There's rudeness in
>>> a lot of stadiums, but this was on an entirely different level.
>>  Try Ohio State when Michigan comes to town!
>
> When I was about 10 years old my father took me to a football game.
> Now, I *hate* sports and *especially* football! But I guess he was
> trying to bond with or something and get me to like football so I
> figured whatever. I asked my father which teams were playing and he
> told me, I *think* it was Stanford vs. visiting team. We were sitting
> in the vising team section. Being a perfectly logical 10 year old
> child, I concluded I should pick a team to root for and being equally
> logical, I concluded I should root for the home team. Why not? It's
> not like I cared which team won anyway. So I began to cheer for the
> home team, prompting my father to tell me to stop it, that I had to root
> for the visiting team since we were in the visiting team section.

Your dad was wrong. I've been on both sides of that one and it's fine if
someone is rooting for the other team as long as it's done with respect
and a proper level of fun/gooning. Unless you're in Miami. Honestly,
I've given and received grief over the years at games and have even seen
some situations escalate to an uncomfortable degree (as a bystander
watching things develop in another nearby section, for example), but
nothing has ever compared to that one experience. And I won't ever go back.

> *think* there were some fans starting to get vocally rowdy about my
> cheers too. If anything that just egged me on. Now there are some
> times you have to take a stand in life on principal, I chose that time
> to take a stand on principal, that if I'm at the home team stadium them
> I'm going to root for the home team, who cares what the visiting team's
> fans think!

And you're right. Respecting the visiting team doesn't mean that you
*ever* have to root for them! OTOH, it does sound as if 10-year-old you
might have had some issues with knowing when enough was enough. :)

anim8rfsk

Nov 14, 2017, 4:55:54 PM11/14/17
In article <oufj6j$mb4$4...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> TeeJay1952 sent the following on 11/14/2017 at 04:34 AM:
> > On 11/13/2017 3:27 PM, Jim G. wrote:
> >> On a related note, the only time I've ever felt even remotely unsafe at
> >> a sporting event was the one (and only) time that I went to an Irish
> >> football game in Miami. Scary, scary crowd. There's rudeness in a lot of
> >> stadiums, but this was on an entirely different level.
> > Try Ohio State when Michigan comes to town!
> > Tee (Go Blue) Jay
>
> That's when I root for the meteor. Every year. Whether it's Columbus or
> Ann Arbor. :)

by definition the meteor won't hit. see 'meteor crater' :)

Jim G.

Nov 14, 2017, 5:58:08 PM11/14/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 11/14/2017 at 03:55 PM:
> In article <oufj6j$mb4$4...@dont-email.me>,
> "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> TeeJay1952 sent the following on 11/14/2017 at 04:34 AM:
>>> Try Ohio State when Michigan comes to town!
>>> Tee (Go Blue) Jay
>>
>> That's when I root for the meteor. Every year. Whether it's Columbus or
>> Ann Arbor. :)
>
> by definition the meteor won't hit. see 'meteor crater' :)

I know, but it's the meteor that has to aim for us before it can
actually *hit* us in any way, shape or form. :)

anim8rfsk

Nov 14, 2017, 6:28:44 PM11/14/17
In article <oufsdt$s75$1...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rfsk sent the following on 11/14/2017 at 03:55 PM:
> > In article <oufj6j$mb4$4...@dont-email.me>,
> > "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> TeeJay1952 sent the following on 11/14/2017 at 04:34 AM:
> >>
> >> That's when I root for the meteor. Every year. Whether it's Columbus or
> >> Ann Arbor. :)
> >
> > by definition the meteor won't hit. see 'meteor crater' :)
>
> I know, but it's the meteor that has to aim for us before it can
> actually *hit* us in any way, shape or form. :)

As long as it's a meteor, we're safe!

Jim G.

Nov 14, 2017, 9:53:59 PM11/14/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 11/14/2017 at 05:28 PM:
Not necessarily. If it's on a collision course with us, then any sense
of safety is seriously misguided. So no, I'm not conceding this one to
you. :)

Obveeus

Nov 14, 2017, 10:17:37 PM11/14/17
I suppose it could burn off the atmosphere and still not hit the ground.

anim8rfsk

Nov 14, 2017, 11:04:40 PM11/14/17
In article <ouga85$arm$2...@dont-email.me>,
If it's a meteor, it doesn't hit us. It's got TWO stages to go through
first!

As long as it's a meteor, we're safe!

anim8rfsk

Nov 14, 2017, 11:06:45 PM11/14/17
In article <ougbkf$gps$3...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
Which can be bad all by itself, but at least it's still a meteor.

Arthur Lipscomb

Nov 14, 2017, 11:33:42 PM11/14/17
That experience with the visiting fans definitely contributed to my
further hatred of football. Oddly, years later I went to a football
game when I was in college and actually liked it, more or less. But
that probably had a lot more to do with just being there with friends
and cheering on my school. The only two football games I've ever
attended and they were wildly different experiences.

>> *think* there were some fans starting to get vocally rowdy about my
>> cheers too.  If anything that just egged me on.   Now there are some
>> times you have to take a stand in life on principal, I chose that time
>> to take a stand on principal, that if I'm at the home team stadium them
>> I'm going to root for the home team, who cares what the visiting team's
>> fans think!
>
> And you're right. Respecting the visiting team doesn't mean that you
> *ever* have to root for them! OTOH, it does sound as if 10-year-old you
> might have had some issues with knowing when enough was enough. :)

True. I was a precocious kid who would speak his mind first and
consider the consequences second.

Jim G.

Nov 16, 2017, 5:40:41 PM11/16/17
Obveeus sent the following on 11/14/2017 at 09:17 PM:
When it's Michigan and tOSU, I'm always hoping for a *really* big one.

Jim G.

Nov 16, 2017, 5:43:11 PM11/16/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 11/14/2017 at 10:04 PM:
You're reminding me of a person on a plane that's flat-spinning its way
toward the ground as it contends with artificial electricity issues. As
the plane passes 10,000 feet, he says, "So far, so good!" :)

Jim G.

Nov 16, 2017, 5:50:17 PM11/16/17
Arthur Lipscomb sent the following on 11/14/2017 at 10:33 PM:
While it's the same game everywhere, it's a different experience on
pretty much every college campus. It's still fun to return to Champaign
for a game on occasion, but it's nowhere near as fun as going to
Madison, WI. And both pale in comparison to South Bend, at least for me.
I've even been to a few games at small schools that could have been
mistaken for games at a big high school. All were fun in their own ways,
except for that trip to Miami.