Eureka "In Too Deep" (spoilers)

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 12, 2012, 12:44:22 AM6/12/12

Gah. Jack and Allison are required to learn a life-threatening lesson,
GD style, so they can stop having a petty fight and get married. Of course,
the petty fight they were having wasn't really in character, given that
Allison was still upset about fake Carter and fake Jo marrying in fake life.

I did like that Jack and Allison decided to marry before they drowned. I
was annoyed that Allison and Jo had a heart-to-heart talk about how Jo
was Allison's bestie, given that in four seasons, the two characters
rarely share non-crisis scenes. They must have become friends between
episodes.

Zane invents another frightening invention with consequences for destroying
the human race: DNA targeting. Didn't he invent something like this last
season?

Fargo promotes Zane to head of Section 5 on the off chance that throwing
a genius but a screw up in over his head is a brilliant management decision.

David Barnett

Jun 13, 2012, 4:48:26 AM6/13/12
In article <jr6hf5$vhi$5...@news.albasani.net>,
a...@chinet.com says...
I liked the episode.
Tho it seems to me to have got more serious, I don't take
it seriously. I'm not saying the episode was completely
serious.

So will Holly be fully resurrected?
I think so as Eureka has super-scientists with magical
superscience.

In this episode Jack doesn't save the day as he usually
does. Instead he is saved.

--
David Barnett

shawn

Jun 13, 2012, 8:58:40 AM6/13/12
Given that Eureka tends to go light and that it is the final season I
think Zane will succeed in making some sort of body for Holly.

anim8rFSK

Jun 13, 2012, 9:21:10 AM6/13/12
In article <MPG.2a42fed2a...@news.bigpond.com>,
Serious enough, especially for an episode about pranks!

They actually fired somebody?

Jo's on again off again catsuit was a major misfire, given that you
could barely tell it apart from her regular clothes; really, people,
make it bright red or something!

> So will Holly be fully resurrected?
> I think so as Eureka has super-scientists with magical
> superscience.

I think so too, but the problem is, I really don't care. She wasn't
enough of regular for me to really pine for her. I'd just as soon see
Fargo with Claudia from W13.

BTW, who the Hell is running GD while Fargo's out anyway?

I think part of the problem is that I *still* don't care about the post
1947 reality.

This all might work better if it was Henry trying to save either of his
loves.

> In this episode Jack doesn't save the day as he usually
> does. Instead he is saved.

But he came up with the clews that enabled others to save him.

--
"Every time a Kardashian gets a TV show, an angel dies."

David Johnston

Jun 13, 2012, 9:40:48 AM6/13/12
the tricky part is making a computer system that can support her long
term. They already have the ability to create lifelike robots. Or they
may go the cloning route.

Jim G.

Jun 13, 2012, 1:56:17 PM6/13/12
Adam H. Kerman sent the following on 6/11/2012 11:44 PM:
They continued to screw up by having Allison act like an immature bitch
instead of having her act hurt or just off-balance in some way, which
once again took away from my sympathy for the character. And it has
happened often enough that it's almost put the character in the Eight
Deadly Words category for me. Almost. The resolution helped, but I still
care far less for the character than I did as recently as the end of
last season.

And given all of the near-misses from past problems with GD experiments
that have gone awry, would a group of supposed geniuses still think that
it was a good idea to spend an entire day pranking each other? I mean, I
love Feynman, too, but this was just a really stupid premise.

And lastly, I really wish that Holly would just go away. Seriously. Day
just isn't a very good actress, and every minute given to her is a
minute taken away from another character. I would *much* rather see that
screen time going to Henry's wife, to give just one alternative. I want
Fargo to have someone, but I sure wish it was the cute and perky
brunette from a couple of seasons ago (pre-reset) or even Claudia from
the warehouse. And I'm not just saying that because Day always looks to
me to be about 12 hours late for a shower and a good shampoo...

--
Jim G. | Waukesha, WI
"I find it's best if you just ... go with it." -- Lincoln Lee, providing

Jim G.

Jun 13, 2012, 2:00:11 PM6/13/12
anim8rFSK sent the following on 6/13/2012 8:21 AM:
They should have had the guy wear a red shirt. And yeah, the fact that
he gets fired while Wheaton's character is still employed seemed more
than a bit unfair to me, as well.

> Jo's on again off again catsuit was a major misfire, given that you
> could barely tell it apart from her regular clothes; really, people,
> make it bright red or something!

And they had to work pretty hard to keep those camera angles above the
waist. Cerra is getting quite Kardashian in that regard, which is really
weird in that nothing *above* the waist has filled out one bit.

>> So will Holly be fully resurrected?
>> I think so as Eureka has super-scientists with magical
>> superscience.
>
> I think so too, but the problem is, I really don't care. She wasn't
> enough of regular for me to really pine for her. I'd just as soon see
> Fargo with Claudia from W13.

Maybe it's me or maybe it's that they didn't do a good job of showing
the passage of time or her character bonding with various people, but I
just didn't buy the whole ceremony bit. From what I've seen, I would
expect a handful of people to mourn her loss, but she seemingly wasn't
around for long and wasn't exactly a socializing type, so it all just
didn't work for me. Or maybe I'm just projecting my own dislike of the
addition of Day to the cast to begin with.

> BTW, who the Hell is running GD while Fargo's out anyway?

No one! And that's part of the reason why, in the previous episode, we
saw a new security system being installed while the head of security and
the head of GD itself were both clearly clueless about how it operated.
Either no one has been in charge for a long time or no one bothers to
read memos and return phone calls anymore.

> I think part of the problem is that I *still* don't care about the post
> 1947 reality.
>
> This all might work better if it was Henry trying to save either of his
> loves.
>>
>> In this episode Jack doesn't save the day as he usually
>> does. Instead he is saved.
>
> But he came up with the clews that enabled others to save him.

On top of everything else that I haven't liked since the addition of
Berg to the production ranks, I'm not seeing the sort of gelling that
I'm used to seeing between cast members. It's reminiscent of some of the
STAR TREK movies where it was clear that the actors were no longer as
familiar with each other as they had once been when they worked together
every day. But in the case of EUREKA, there's no such excuse, so I'm not
quite sure why the timing seems to be off so often. But it's definitely
a different vibe than it used to be, at least from where I'm sitting in
my comfy chair.

And lastly, the emphasis seems to have shifted from plot to characters
in a big way. In the past, the approach seemed to be more of a "this is
the plot that we want to run with for this episode, so let's consider
how events would affect the characters" type of thing, whereas now is
really seems to be more of a "this is what we want to have happen with
the characters, so let's come up with a plot that will make it happen."
And since the show wasn't officially cancelled yet when these episodes
were being made, this shift from plot- to character-driven can't be
written off as being due to the writing team wanting to work towards
closure for all of the main characters.

EGK

Jun 13, 2012, 2:25:31 PM6/13/12
On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 12:56:17 -0500, "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid>
wrote:

>And lastly, I really wish that Holly would just go away. Seriously. Day
>just isn't a very good actress, and every minute given to her is a
>minute taken away from another character. I would *much* rather see that
>screen time going to Henry's wife, to give just one alternative. I want
>Fargo to have someone, but I sure wish it was the cute and perky
>brunette from a couple of seasons ago (pre-reset) or even Claudia from
>the warehouse. And I'm not just saying that because Day always looks to
>me to be about 12 hours late for a shower and a good shampoo...

So I'm just guessing you really don't like Felicia Day? Is that it? LOL
She's pretty popular though. As for her acting, have you seen her Internet
show, The Guild? Her likeable quirkiness is much better suited to something
like that.

I really haven't seen her in enough things to gage her ability as an
actress.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 13, 2012, 2:29:40 PM6/13/12
Jim G. <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman sent the following on 6/11/2012 11:44 PM:

>>Gah. Jack and Allison are required to learn a life-threatening lesson,
>>GD style, so they can stop having a petty fight and get married. Of
>>course, the petty fight they were having wasn't really in character,
>>given that Allison was still upset about fake Carter and fake Jo marrying
>>in fake life. . . .

>They continued to screw up by having Allison act like an immature bitch
>instead of having her act hurt or just off-balance in some way, which
>once again took away from my sympathy for the character. . . .

Yes, we agree. They've eliminated her distinct personality and all that's
left is generic love interest and generic relationship-destroying fight
and artificial situation to repair relationship.

>And given all of the near-misses from past problems with GD experiments
>that have gone awry, would a group of supposed geniuses still think that
>it was a good idea to spend an entire day pranking each other? I mean, I
>love Feynman, too, but this was just a really stupid premise.

Excellent point. Of course, it's GD, where maturity is in very short supply.

>And lastly, I really wish that Holly would just go away. Seriously. . . .

Yes, yes, yes, absolutely.

anim8rFSK

Jun 13, 2012, 3:19:31 PM6/13/12
In article <jraki0$upp$2...@news.albasani.net>,
Yeah. I wanted Jack to just say 'fuck this noise' and open the airlock.

BTW, she referred to "husbands" plural ... was she married to somebody
other than Stark?

> And given all of the near-misses from past problems with GD experiments
> that have gone awry, would a group of supposed geniuses still think that
> it was a good idea to spend an entire day pranking each other? I mean, I
> love Feynman, too, but this was just a really stupid premise.

Okay, here's what pissed me off about that ... this is yet ANOTHER
annual event that Jack, despite having been Sheriff now for about 10
years in 2 realities, has never experienced before? WTF? That was cute
the first couple of years, but now it just makes him look like an idiot.
They really need to be doing this stuff once every 5 years or something.

> And lastly, I really wish that Holly would just go away. Seriously. Day
> just isn't a very good actress, and every minute given to her is a
> minute taken away from another character. I would *much* rather see that
> screen time going to Henry's wife, to give just one alternative. I want
> Fargo to have someone, but I sure wish it was the cute and perky
> brunette from a couple of seasons ago (pre-reset) or even Claudia from
> the warehouse. And I'm not just saying that because Day always looks to
> me to be about 12 hours late for a shower and a good shampoo...

anim8rFSK

Jun 13, 2012, 3:27:15 PM6/13/12
In article <jraki1$upp$2...@news.albasani.net>,
yeah, SO many people deserved to be fired and weren't, and this guy gets
it?

> > Jo's on again off again catsuit was a major misfire, given that you
> > could barely tell it apart from her regular clothes; really, people,
> > make it bright red or something!
>
> And they had to work pretty hard to keep those camera angles above the
> waist. Cerra is getting quite Kardashian in that regard, which is really
> weird in that nothing *above* the waist has filled out one bit.

Depending on when they filmed these, she may have been preggers.

> >> So will Holly be fully resurrected?
> >> I think so as Eureka has super-scientists with magical
> >> superscience.
> >
> > I think so too, but the problem is, I really don't care. She wasn't
> > enough of regular for me to really pine for her. I'd just as soon see
> > Fargo with Claudia from W13.
>
> Maybe it's me or maybe it's that they didn't do a good job of showing
> the passage of time or her character bonding with various people, but I
> just didn't buy the whole ceremony bit. From what I've seen, I would
> expect a handful of people to mourn her loss, but she seemingly wasn't
> around for long and wasn't exactly a socializing type, so it all just
> didn't work for me. Or maybe I'm just projecting my own dislike of the
> addition of Day to the cast to begin with.

No, I thought the ceremony smacked more of 'boss' girlfriend' than 'oh,
we loved you yourself truly' - and I like Day, but I admit she's coming
off as amateur hour here.

> > BTW, who the Hell is running GD while Fargo's out anyway?
>
> No one! And that's part of the reason why, in the previous episode, we
> saw a new security system being installed while the head of security and
> the head of GD itself were both clearly clueless about how it operated.
> Either no one has been in charge for a long time or no one bothers to
> read memos and return phone calls anymore.

Granted GD *should* be a company you could run by telecommuting if ever
there was one, but we aren't seeing Fargo doing that either.

And, you know, if Holly is fucking dying, QUIT RUNNING THE FUCKING
PROGRAM! FUCKING BACK HER UP.

> > I think part of the problem is that I *still* don't care about the post
> > 1947 reality.
> >
> > This all might work better if it was Henry trying to save either of his
> > loves.
> >>
> >> In this episode Jack doesn't save the day as he usually
> >> does. Instead he is saved.
> >
> > But he came up with the clews that enabled others to save him.
>
> On top of everything else that I haven't liked since the addition of
> Berg to the production ranks, I'm not seeing the sort of gelling that
> I'm used to seeing between cast members. It's reminiscent of some of the
> STAR TREK movies where it was clear that the actors were no longer as
> familiar with each other as they had once been when they worked together
> every day. But in the case of EUREKA, there's no such excuse, so I'm not
> quite sure why the timing seems to be off so often. But it's definitely
> a different vibe than it used to be, at least from where I'm sitting in
> my comfy chair.

I blame 1947.

> And lastly, the emphasis seems to have shifted from plot to characters
> in a big way. In the past, the approach seemed to be more of a "this is
> the plot that we want to run with for this episode, so let's consider
> how events would affect the characters" type of thing, whereas now is
> really seems to be more of a "this is what we want to have happen with
> the characters, so let's come up with a plot that will make it happen."
> And since the show wasn't officially cancelled yet when these episodes
> were being made, this shift from plot- to character-driven can't be
> written off as being due to the writing team wanting to work towards
> closure for all of the main characters.

+1

anim8rFSK

Jun 13, 2012, 3:27:43 PM6/13/12
In article <jra593$so5$1...@dont-email.me>,
Or he may go into the machine and stay.

Ian J. Ball

Jun 13, 2012, 3:35:14 PM6/13/12
On Jun 13, 6:21 am, anim8rFSK <anim8r...@cox.net> wrote:

> I think part of the problem is that I *still* don't care about the post
> 1947 reality.

Got it, in one - this has been my problem with the last couple of
seasons of "Eureka", actually.

It's funny that "Fringe" did the same stunt, but somehow pulled it
off, whereas I don't think "Eureka" ever has... :/

EGK

Jun 13, 2012, 5:09:57 PM6/13/12
On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 12:35:14 -0700 (PDT), "Ian J. Ball" <ijb...@mac.com>
wrote:
I stopped being interested in the ongoing story way back when Beverly first
disappeared or whatever the hell happened to her. Wasn't she responsible
for killing off Henry's love interest or something? The move to 1947
actually rekindled my interest then they just dropped it.

I still enjoy the show from episode to episode. It's lite fun. I just
don't bother to think about ongoing arcs anymore.

I should have watched Fringe that way this season but my expectations for
that were higher so it irritated me a lot more.

Stan Brown

Jun 14, 2012, 6:16:43 AM6/14/12
I've been growing less and less enchanted with Eureka this season. It
started well, I thought, with the Astraeus crew in cyberspace, but
after that reveal it went downhill.

The whole Holly-in-a-computer story line is boring to me, so much so
that I didn't even finish watching Monday's episode.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Jim G.

Jun 14, 2012, 11:24:12 AM6/14/12
Adam H. Kerman sent the following on 6/13/2012 1:29 PM:
And they've taken a strong, intelligent, secure and independent
character and turned her into a neurotic, insecure, flighty bitch. Now
that I think about it, the destruction of this formerly role
model-worthy character rivals that of Ziva over on NCIS.

>> And given all of the near-misses from past problems with GD experiments
>> that have gone awry, would a group of supposed geniuses still think that
>> it was a good idea to spend an entire day pranking each other? I mean, I
>> love Feynman, too, but this was just a really stupid premise.
>
> Excellent point. Of course, it's GD, where maturity is in very short supply.

And it's a plot device.

>> And lastly, I really wish that Holly would just go away. Seriously. . . .
>
> Yes, yes, yes, absolutely.

She was cute and tolerable in small doses for me in that web series of
her for a while, but even that got old in a hurry. I'm just not seeing
in her the things that so many other geeks are apparently seeing in her.

Jim G.

Jun 14, 2012, 11:25:32 AM6/14/12
anim8rFSK sent the following on 6/13/2012 2:27 PM:
Exactly.

>>> Jo's on again off again catsuit was a major misfire, given that you
>>> could barely tell it apart from her regular clothes; really, people,
>>> make it bright red or something!
>>
>> And they had to work pretty hard to keep those camera angles above the
>> waist. Cerra is getting quite Kardashian in that regard, which is really
>> weird in that nothing *above* the waist has filled out one bit.
>
> Depending on when they filmed these, she may have been preggers.

I don't think so, as I'm pretty sure that this stuff was being filmed a
year or a little more ago. At first, I thought that it was just a camera
thing, but then I started to notice her dressed in long sweaters and
jackets and the like, which suggested that others with the show were
seeing what I was seeing.

>>> I think so too, but the problem is, I really don't care. She wasn't
>>> enough of regular for me to really pine for her. I'd just as soon see
>>> Fargo with Claudia from W13.
>>
>> Maybe it's me or maybe it's that they didn't do a good job of showing
>> the passage of time or her character bonding with various people, but I
>> just didn't buy the whole ceremony bit. From what I've seen, I would
>> expect a handful of people to mourn her loss, but she seemingly wasn't
>> around for long and wasn't exactly a socializing type, so it all just
>> didn't work for me. Or maybe I'm just projecting my own dislike of the
>> addition of Day to the cast to begin with.
>
> No, I thought the ceremony smacked more of 'boss' girlfriend' than 'oh,
> we loved you yourself truly' - and I like Day, but I admit she's coming
> off as amateur hour here.

Okay, that could be, but wouldn't they get a feel for the boss first and
see if he really wanted any such memorial? And wouldn't they have
quickly figured out that Fargo didn't care, for any number of reasons?

>>> BTW, who the Hell is running GD while Fargo's out anyway?
>>
>> No one! And that's part of the reason why, in the previous episode, we
>> saw a new security system being installed while the head of security and
>> the head of GD itself were both clearly clueless about how it operated.
>> Either no one has been in charge for a long time or no one bothers to
>> read memos and return phone calls anymore.
>
> Granted GD *should* be a company you could run by telecommuting if ever
> there was one, but we aren't seeing Fargo doing that either.

Right. And now that I think about it, we didn't see anyone watching over
the town, either, as Carter was off romancing Allison and Deputy Andy
was playing something D&D-ish out at the smart house.

> And, you know, if Holly is fucking dying, QUIT RUNNING THE FUCKING
> PROGRAM! FUCKING BACK HER UP.

For some reason, I had the impression that she was dying regardless, but
yeah, you would think that Fargo would avoid doing anything that might
speed up the process. In any case, I'd be all for not running the
program, as that would mean no more Day. :)

>>> I think part of the problem is that I *still* don't care about the post
>>> 1947 reality.
>>>
>>> This all might work better if it was Henry trying to save either of his
>>> loves.

>>> But he came up with the clews that enabled others to save him.
>>
>> On top of everything else that I haven't liked since the addition of
>> Berg to the production ranks, I'm not seeing the sort of gelling that
>> I'm used to seeing between cast members. It's reminiscent of some of the
>> STAR TREK movies where it was clear that the actors were no longer as
>> familiar with each other as they had once been when they worked together
>> every day. But in the case of EUREKA, there's no such excuse, so I'm not
>> quite sure why the timing seems to be off so often. But it's definitely
>> a different vibe than it used to be, at least from where I'm sitting in
>> my comfy chair.
>
> I blame 1947.

I still blame Berg, but she may have come aboard at right around that
time, so maybe we're both right.

Jim G.

Jun 14, 2012, 11:26:40 AM6/14/12
anim8rFSK sent the following on 6/13/2012 2:19 PM:
Despite having seen her in her skivvies, I have to say that I would have
run out of patience with her long ago, as I take that whole "shut you
out" thing well at all. Avoidance behavior is a huge turnoff for me. So
is being a bitch, for that matter.

> BTW, she referred to "husbands" plural ... was she married to somebody
> other than Stark?

Yeah, but I don't know who. I just know that Stark was not Kevin's dad
and that Allison didn't go the out-of-wedlock route, so there had to
have been a husband prior to Stark.

>> And given all of the near-misses from past problems with GD experiments
>> that have gone awry, would a group of supposed geniuses still think that
>> it was a good idea to spend an entire day pranking each other? I mean, I
>> love Feynman, too, but this was just a really stupid premise.
>
> Okay, here's what pissed me off about that ... this is yet ANOTHER
> annual event that Jack, despite having been Sheriff now for about 10
> years in 2 realities, has never experienced before? WTF? That was cute
> the first couple of years, but now it just makes him look like an idiot.
> They really need to be doing this stuff once every 5 years or something.

Good point. Or at least address it by having someone routinely ask him
something like "How can you forget about this stuff every year?"

>> And lastly, I really wish that Holly would just go away. Seriously. Day
>> just isn't a very good actress, and every minute given to her is a
>> minute taken away from another character. I would *much* rather see that
>> screen time going to Henry's wife, to give just one alternative. I want
>> Fargo to have someone, but I sure wish it was the cute and perky
>> brunette from a couple of seasons ago (pre-reset) or even Claudia from
>> the warehouse. And I'm not just saying that because Day always looks to
>> me to be about 12 hours late for a shower and a good shampoo...
>
> LOL, did you read my post before you wrote that? :)

I'm not sure, but I'm caught up now. Which one are you thinking of?

Jim G.

Jun 14, 2012, 11:29:24 AM6/14/12
EGK sent the following on 6/13/2012 1:25 PM:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 12:56:17 -0500, "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>

>> And lastly, I really wish that Holly would just go away. Seriously. Day
>> just isn't a very good actress, and every minute given to her is a
>> minute taken away from another character. I would *much* rather see that
>> screen time going to Henry's wife, to give just one alternative. I want
>> Fargo to have someone, but I sure wish it was the cute and perky
>> brunette from a couple of seasons ago (pre-reset) or even Claudia from
>> the warehouse. And I'm not just saying that because Day always looks to
>> me to be about 12 hours late for a shower and a good shampoo...
>
> So I'm just guessing you really don't like Felicia Day? Is that it?

Rats. I thought that I was hiding it really well. :)

> LOL
> She's pretty popular though.

Yeah, I know. I'll just put her in the same category as the Galactica
stuff, then, as both are things that are very popular with the sort of
folks who I usually agree with on geeky things and yet do absolutely
nothing for me. Well, nothing positive, at least.

> As for her acting, have you seen her Internet
> show, The Guild? Her likeable quirkiness is much better suited to something
> like that.

I watched maybe a dozen episodes of it before losing interest. And I'll
admit that it was cute, and that she did a good job with it. But my
standards are a lot lower for web-only stuff, which is why I spend
almost no time on web-only stuff. (Along the same lines, when I read, I
tend to avoid the self-published stuff, which is usually self-published
for a reason.)

> I really haven't seen her in enough things to gage her ability as an
> actress.

There aren't a lot of future Emmy winners on the EUREKA cast, and yet
each and every other actor there is acting circles around her. So I
would say that her talent level is well suited for web-only stuff. :)

Jim G.

Jun 14, 2012, 11:49:50 AM6/14/12
Jim G. sent the following on 6/14/2012 10:26 AM:
> I take that whole "shut you
> out" thing well at all.

Oops. There should be a "don't" in there, obviously.

anim8rFSK

Jun 14, 2012, 12:49:13 PM6/14/12
In article <jrd04j$dp1$4...@news.albasani.net>,
The Peachinator didn't know either, so I had to look it up. Wiki says
there's a first, dead, husband, apparently named Blake - Kevin's dad.
Then Stark is Jenna's dad.

> >> And given all of the near-misses from past problems with GD experiments
> >> that have gone awry, would a group of supposed geniuses still think that
> >> it was a good idea to spend an entire day pranking each other? I mean, I
> >> love Feynman, too, but this was just a really stupid premise.
> >
> > Okay, here's what pissed me off about that ... this is yet ANOTHER
> > annual event that Jack, despite having been Sheriff now for about 10
> > years in 2 realities, has never experienced before? WTF? That was cute
> > the first couple of years, but now it just makes him look like an idiot.
> > They really need to be doing this stuff once every 5 years or something.
>
> Good point. Or at least address it by having someone routinely ask him
> something like "How can you forget about this stuff every year?"

Yes. That's all I'm asking.

> >> And lastly, I really wish that Holly would just go away. Seriously. Day
> >> just isn't a very good actress, and every minute given to her is a
> >> minute taken away from another character. I would *much* rather see that
> >> screen time going to Henry's wife, to give just one alternative. I want
> >> Fargo to have someone, but I sure wish it was the cute and perky
> >> brunette from a couple of seasons ago (pre-reset) or even Claudia from
> >> the warehouse. And I'm not just saying that because Day always looks to
> >> me to be about 12 hours late for a shower and a good shampoo...
> >
> > LOL, did you read my post before you wrote that? :)
>
> I'm not sure, but I'm caught up now. Which one are you thinking of?

Rather see Fargo with Claudia W13. :)

BTR1701

Jun 14, 2012, 1:05:34 PM6/14/12
In article <jrd04h$dp3$1...@news.albasani.net>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> She was cute and tolerable in small doses for me in that web series of
> her for a while, but even that got old in a hurry. I'm just not seeing
> in her the things that so many other geeks are apparently seeing in her.

She annoyed me all the way back on 'Buffy', during the final season. She
was one of the proto-Slayers and seemed to get all the Whedon love. Out
of dozens of girls, she was one of the most featured, despite there
being far more attractive and more talented actors in the background.

anim8rFSK

Jun 14, 2012, 1:18:46 PM6/14/12
In article <jrd04h$dp3$1...@news.albasani.net>,
Good point.

anim8rFSK

Jun 14, 2012, 1:28:09 PM6/14/12
In article <jrd04i$dp1$2...@news.albasani.net>,
Of course they had Fargos switched out on them awhile ago; it's possible
that their real Fargo might have wanted this.

Which brings me back to my pet post 1947 peev - aren't they still
operating under the theory that they got switched, like in Star Trek TOS
'Mirror Mirror'? Why did they stop trying to get back? I can see Fargo
and Jo might like it better, but for Carter, that's not his real
daughter, and for Allison, those aren't her real kids, and isn't she
worried about what IS happening to her real kids?

> >> No one! And that's part of the reason why, in the previous episode, we
> >> saw a new security system being installed while the head of security and
> >> the head of GD itself were both clearly clueless about how it operated.
> >> Either no one has been in charge for a long time or no one bothers to
> >> read memos and return phone calls anymore.
> >
> > Granted GD *should* be a company you could run by telecommuting if ever
> > there was one, but we aren't seeing Fargo doing that either.
>
> Right. And now that I think about it, we didn't see anyone watching over
> the town, either, as Carter was off romancing Allison and Deputy Andy
> was playing something D&D-ish out at the smart house.

Yeah, I wondered about that. No scenes in the jail or town at all. All
law enforcement accounted for elsewhere.

> > And, you know, if Holly is fucking dying, QUIT RUNNING THE FUCKING
> > PROGRAM! FUCKING BACK HER UP.
>
> For some reason, I had the impression that she was dying regardless, but
> yeah, you would think that Fargo would avoid doing anything that might
> speed up the process. In any case, I'd be all for not running the
> program, as that would mean no more Day. :)

Either way, you win.

> >> On top of everything else that I haven't liked since the addition of
> >> Berg to the production ranks, I'm not seeing the sort of gelling that
> >> I'm used to seeing between cast members. It's reminiscent of some of the
> >> STAR TREK movies where it was clear that the actors were no longer as
> >> familiar with each other as they had once been when they worked together
> >> every day. But in the case of EUREKA, there's no such excuse, so I'm not
> >> quite sure why the timing seems to be off so often. But it's definitely
> >> a different vibe than it used to be, at least from where I'm sitting in
> >> my comfy chair.
> >
> > I blame 1947.
>
> I still blame Berg, but she may have come aboard at right around that
> time, so maybe we're both right.

Fair question; is Berg cause or effect?

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 14, 2012, 2:10:31 PM6/14/12
The writers haven't gotten past the rom-com chapter of Incorporating
Cliched Characters into your by-the-numbers plotted Screenplay for Idiots.

Jim G.

Jun 14, 2012, 5:38:24 PM6/14/12
BTR1701 sent the following on 6/14/2012 12:05 PM:
She's making the most of what she brings to the table; I'll give her
credit for that. And she's very good at marketing herself and using her
connections, which accounts for much of the "making the most of" bit above.

Jim G.

Jun 14, 2012, 5:38:59 PM6/14/12
anim8rFSK sent the following on 6/14/2012 11:49 AM:
Which would take all of two seconds, so the usual apologists can't even
use their standard "there's not enough time for everything" argument.
Heck, just edit out two seconds of Day, if nothing else. :)

>>> LOL, did you read my post before you wrote that? :)
>>
>> I'm not sure, but I'm caught up now. Which one are you thinking of?
>
> Rather see Fargo with Claudia W13. :)

We've been on that page together before. But even more than Claudia, I
liked him with that cute brunette in the glasses. Do you remember the
episode where Jo and that girl swapped bodies? I thought she was perfect
for Fargo, and cute as a button. Day makes me want to stick a Febreeze
in a wall socket somewhere.

Jim G.

Jun 14, 2012, 5:46:49 PM6/14/12
anim8rFSK sent the following on 6/14/2012 12:28 PM:
> In article <jrd04i$dp1$2...@news.albasani.net>,
> "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> anim8rFSK sent the following on 6/13/2012 2:27 PM:

>>> No, I thought the ceremony smacked more of 'boss' girlfriend' than 'oh,
>>> we loved you yourself truly' - and I like Day, but I admit she's coming
>>> off as amateur hour here.
>>
>> Okay, that could be, but wouldn't they get a feel for the boss first and
>> see if he really wanted any such memorial? And wouldn't they have
>> quickly figured out that Fargo didn't care, for any number of reasons?
>
> Of course they had Fargos switched out on them awhile ago; it's possible
> that their real Fargo might have wanted this.

Wait--they switched him out on top of the reboot, or are you talking
about the 1947 bit?

> Which brings me back to my pet post 1947 peev - aren't they still
> operating under the theory that they got switched, like in Star Trek TOS
> 'Mirror Mirror'? Why did they stop trying to get back? I can see Fargo
> and Jo might like it better, but for Carter, that's not his real
> daughter, and for Allison, those aren't her real kids, and isn't she
> worried about what IS happening to her real kids?

Wasn't it that they *can't* get back? That seems to be what I recall,
but I wouldn't bet on it.

>>> Granted GD *should* be a company you could run by telecommuting if ever
>>> there was one, but we aren't seeing Fargo doing that either.
>>
>> Right. And now that I think about it, we didn't see anyone watching over
>> the town, either, as Carter was off romancing Allison and Deputy Andy
>> was playing something D&D-ish out at the smart house.
>
> Yeah, I wondered about that. No scenes in the jail or town at all. All
> law enforcement accounted for elsewhere.

Of course, it's not as if it's *ever* been realistic that, in a town
with that much craziness going on, there are only two cops to begin
with. I mean, your average GD disaster sets the taxpayers back millions
of dollars or more, but the town can't (or won't) budget for a police
payroll of more than $90 grand a year or so?

>>> And, you know, if Holly is fucking dying, QUIT RUNNING THE FUCKING
>>> PROGRAM! FUCKING BACK HER UP.
>>
>> For some reason, I had the impression that she was dying regardless, but
>> yeah, you would think that Fargo would avoid doing anything that might
>> speed up the process. In any case, I'd be all for not running the
>> program, as that would mean no more Day. :)
>
> Either way, you win.

Yep. I really miss that cute little brunette that Fargo was with. IIRC,
the reboot put her in a nice job at NASA. If I were Fargo, I'd rather
have her than the new job.

>>> I blame 1947.
>>
>> I still blame Berg, but she may have come aboard at right around that
>> time, so maybe we're both right.
>
> Fair question; is Berg cause or effect?

Can't she be both? Or at least the most unflattering parts of both?

anim8rFSK

Jun 15, 2012, 1:06:15 AM6/15/12
In article <jre7nk$j6f$8...@news.albasani.net>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rFSK sent the following on 6/14/2012 12:28 PM:
> > In article <jrd04i$dp1$2...@news.albasani.net>,
> > "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> anim8rFSK sent the following on 6/13/2012 2:27 PM:

> >> Okay, that could be, but wouldn't they get a feel for the boss first and
> >> see if he really wanted any such memorial? And wouldn't they have
> >> quickly figured out that Fargo didn't care, for any number of reasons?
> >
> > Of course they had Fargos switched out on them awhile ago; it's possible
> > that their real Fargo might have wanted this.
>
> Wait--they switched him out on top of the reboot, or are you talking
> about the 1947 bit?

1947

> > Which brings me back to my pet post 1947 peev - aren't they still
> > operating under the theory that they got switched, like in Star Trek TOS
> > 'Mirror Mirror'? Why did they stop trying to get back? I can see Fargo
> > and Jo might like it better, but for Carter, that's not his real
> > daughter, and for Allison, those aren't her real kids, and isn't she
> > worried about what IS happening to her real kids?
>
> Wasn't it that they *can't* get back? That seems to be what I recall,
> but I wouldn't bet on it.

Well, they just seemed to forget about trying.

> >> Right. And now that I think about it, we didn't see anyone watching over
> >> the town, either, as Carter was off romancing Allison and Deputy Andy
> >> was playing something D&D-ish out at the smart house.
> >
> > Yeah, I wondered about that. No scenes in the jail or town at all. All
> > law enforcement accounted for elsewhere.
>
> Of course, it's not as if it's *ever* been realistic that, in a town
> with that much craziness going on, there are only two cops to begin
> with. I mean, your average GD disaster sets the taxpayers back millions
> of dollars or more, but the town can't (or won't) budget for a police
> payroll of more than $90 grand a year or so?

On the other hand, your average cop would be useless against your
average Eureka crime. :)

> >> For some reason, I had the impression that she was dying regardless, but
> >> yeah, you would think that Fargo would avoid doing anything that might
> >> speed up the process. In any case, I'd be all for not running the
> >> program, as that would mean no more Day. :)
> >
> > Either way, you win.
>
> Yep. I really miss that cute little brunette that Fargo was with. IIRC,
> the reboot put her in a nice job at NASA. If I were Fargo, I'd rather
> have her than the new job.

That too

> >> I still blame Berg, but she may have come aboard at right around that
> >> time, so maybe we're both right.
> >
> > Fair question; is Berg cause or effect?
>
> Can't she be both? Or at least the most unflattering parts of both?

She's like the Marti Noxon of Eureka?

anim8rFSK

Jun 15, 2012, 1:06:56 AM6/15/12
In article <jre7nj$j6f$5...@news.albasani.net>,
Cold, dude

Jim G.

Jun 15, 2012, 12:56:45 PM6/15/12
anim8rFSK sent the following on 6/15/2012 12:06 AM:
Keep in mind that if 1947 hadn't happened, then Fargo most likely would
still be with the cute brunette (since she's in Eureka and not at NASA),
so it's unlikely that he would have started dating Holly. And if he
*had* dropped the cutie (who was also very nice and very smart) in favor
of Holly, then he should definitely give back his Intertel membership card.
That's true, too. The previous sheriff seemed pretty laid back by it all
(that's probably the only way to survive the job) even when he lost part
of a leg, and he, too, handled the job with only Jo there to assist, so
I guess there just isn't much in the way of petty crime going on in town.
That might work. And actually, since she had little or no SF experience
prior to EUREKA, she might also a lot like Bonnie Hammer, too, in terms
of her love for the genre.

Jim G.

Jun 15, 2012, 12:26:26 PM6/15/12
anim8rFSK sent the following on 6/15/2012 12:06 AM:
> In article <jre7nj$j6f$5...@news.albasani.net>,
> "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> We've been on that page together before. But even more than Claudia, I
>> liked him with that cute brunette in the glasses. Do you remember the
>> episode where Jo and that girl swapped bodies? I thought she was perfect
>> for Fargo, and cute as a button. Day makes me want to stick a Febreeze
>> in a wall socket somewhere.
>
> Cold, dude

Consider it the matching bookend to my earlier "12 hours late for a
shower" comment. And it's not a pleasant thing to consider, so I'll make
it my last comment on that point. :)

Dragon Lady

Jun 15, 2012, 10:50:16 PM6/15/12
>>> anim8rFSK sent the following on 6/13/2012 2:27 PM:

[clip]

>> Which brings me back to my pet post 1947 peev - aren't they still
>> operating under the theory that they got switched, like in Star Trek TOS
>> 'Mirror Mirror'? Why did they stop trying to get back? I can see Fargo
>> and Jo might like it better, but for Carter, that's not his real
>> daughter, and for Allison, those aren't her real kids, and isn't she
>> worried about what IS happening to her real kids?
>
> Wasn't it that they *can't* get back? That seems to be what I recall, but
> I wouldn't bet on it.

That's the impression I have too.

>>> Right. And now that I think about it, we didn't see anyone watching over
>>> the town, either, as Carter was off romancing Allison and Deputy Andy
>>> was playing something D&D-ish out at the smart house.
>>
>> Yeah, I wondered about that. No scenes in the jail or town at all. All
>> law enforcement accounted for elsewhere.
>
> Of course, it's not as if it's *ever* been realistic that, in a town with
> that much craziness going on, there are only two cops to begin with. I
> mean, your average GD disaster sets the taxpayers back millions of dollars
> or more, but the town can't (or won't) budget for a police payroll of more
> than $90 grand a year or so?

Three, unless you don't consider Andy to be a cop just because he's not
human. And he probably uses up the rest of the departments budget. 8P

anim8rFSK

Jun 15, 2012, 11:30:27 PM6/15/12
In article <jrfpgj$scl$1...@news.albasani.net>,
That was just mean. :)

anim8rFSK

Jun 16, 2012, 1:54:26 AM6/16/12
In article <jrgs97$n2s$1...@dont-email.me>,
Who's number 3? Jo isn't a cop any more, she's GD. It's Carter and
Andy. And Andy probably doesn't draw a salary.

shawn

Jun 16, 2012, 7:33:17 AM6/16/12
On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 22:54:26 -0700, anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net>
wrote:
Although Jo is still effectively a cop since it seems that most of the
issues that Carter has to handle revolve around GD. Which makes you
wonder who was handling GD security before Jo and why we never saw
them before this point. ;)

anim8rFSK

Jun 16, 2012, 10:22:44 AM6/16/12
In article <3mrot7dclbiia3ki4...@4ax.com>,
Yeah, I thought about that, and decided the real GD didn't have all
these problems. :D

Dragon Lady

Jun 16, 2012, 1:27:34 PM6/16/12

"anim8rFSK" <anim...@cox.net> wrote in message
Oh, yeah, I forgot Jo isn't technically a deputy anymore. I guess they do
just have two.

Andy may not draw a salary, but there are still going to be maintenance
costs.

suzeeq

Jun 16, 2012, 3:16:49 PM6/16/12
Nah they just send him to GD for an upgrade; he's their project anyway
so the county wouldn't need to pay for it.

Jim G.

Jun 17, 2012, 4:44:48 PM6/17/12
shawn sent the following on 6/16/2012 6:33 AM:
Good point. I guess that having a GD security boss all along might have
taken away a lot of the fun tasks that Carter handled over the
years--unless that boss was like Jo, who is apparently willing to
repeatedly duck out on things that should be her responsibility at this
point.

In fact, given how they've trashed Allison's strong character, maybe
there's a pattern here and the writers don't have Jo handle the things
that fall under her job description because she's just a girl, or something.

Jim G.

Jun 17, 2012, 4:48:16 PM6/17/12
anim8rFSK sent the following on 6/15/2012 10:30 PM:

>>> She's like the Marti Noxon of Eureka?
>>
>> That might work. And actually, since she had little or no SF experience
>> prior to EUREKA, she might also a lot like Bonnie Hammer, too
>
> That was just mean. :)

I know. But to whom? :)

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 17, 2012, 5:21:00 PM6/17/12
shawn <nanof...@gNOTmail.com> wrote:

>Although Jo is still effectively a cop since it seems that most of the
>issues that Carter has to handle revolve around GD. Which makes you
>wonder who was handling GD security before Jo and why we never saw
>them before this point. ;)

I thought it was Allison in the original reality. Later, she became
a scientist.

EGK

Jun 17, 2012, 6:08:39 PM6/17/12
On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 21:21:00 +0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com>
wrote:
Allison was head of GD. She had Fargo's job. When they came back from the
1940's they found Fargo was head of GD and Allison was head of medicine
instead.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 17, 2012, 6:15:58 PM6/17/12
Before Stark was killed off, before Henry reset the original first reality
at the end of season 1, Allison wasn't doing medical research. She was
head of security. I seem to recall that she was employed directly by
the military (exactly which branch oversees things varies) as the main
contract officer. I thought she had military rank, too, but maybe I'm
not remembering. She was there to enforce security.

I don't remember anyone in the cast having a job comparable to Jo's in the
reset-reset-reset-reset reality, but the show is inconsistent.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a contract compliance officer for the
last several seasons.

I don't even recall that she was a doctor till much, much later.

EGK

Jun 17, 2012, 6:36:06 PM6/17/12
On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 22:15:58 +0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com>
wrote:

>EGK <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>>>I thought it was Allison in the original reality. Later, she became
>>>a scientist.
>
>>Allison was head of GD. She had Fargo's job. When they came back from the
>>1940's they found Fargo was head of GD and Allison was head of medicine
>>instead.
>
>Before Stark was killed off, before Henry reset the original first reality
>at the end of season 1, Allison wasn't doing medical research. She was
>head of security. I seem to recall that she was employed directly by
>the military (exactly which branch oversees things varies) as the main
>contract officer. I thought she had military rank, too, but maybe I'm
>not remembering. She was there to enforce security.

Your memory is better than mine. I barely recall season 1. I just remember
losing interest in the ongoing arcs after that first reality change. Trying
to remember what all Beverly and Henry did makes my head hurt and I dont
care enough to rewatch it to find out. :)

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 17, 2012, 6:54:33 PM6/17/12
We never did learn what Beverly in the reality as it existed in season 1
was up to.

EGK

Jun 17, 2012, 7:16:29 PM6/17/12
On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 22:54:33 +0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com>
Well, I don't think the writers of the show ever knew either really. In a
more serious show that kind of thing would bug people more I think. Eureka
is entertaining enough for me in an episode by episode basis but the arcs
aren't something worth thinking about for too long.

David Johnston

Jun 18, 2012, 3:35:26 PM6/18/12
On Sunday, June 17, 2012 4:54:33 PM UTC-6, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
akes my head hurt and I dont
> >care enough to rewatch it to find out. :)
>
> We never did learn what Beverly in the reality as it existed in season 1
> was up to.

All indications that I can see is that she was up to the same things she was in the post 47 reality. Which is to say, she's still an evil hippie out to screw the American military industrial complex.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 18, 2012, 3:44:44 PM6/18/12
Later in season 1, she appeared to be an industrial spy on behalf of a rival
military-industrial complex. We never learned which one. At the beginning
of the season, she was an assassin. We never learned why.

Jim G.

Jun 18, 2012, 4:30:15 PM6/18/12
Adam H. Kerman sent the following on 6/17/2012 5:15 PM:
> EGK <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>>> I thought it was Allison in the original reality. Later, she became
>>> a scientist.
>
>> Allison was head of GD. She had Fargo's job. When they came back from the
>> 1940's they found Fargo was head of GD and Allison was head of medicine
>> instead.
>
> Before Stark was killed off, before Henry reset the original first reality
> at the end of season 1, Allison wasn't doing medical research. She was
> head of security.

She was never the head of security.

> I seem to recall that she was employed directly by
> the military (exactly which branch oversees things varies) as the main
> contract officer. I thought she had military rank, too, but maybe I'm
> not remembering. She was there to enforce security.

I don't think that she ever had military rank, but she *did* serve as
liaison of sorts between GD and its military overlords.

> I don't remember anyone in the cast having a job comparable to Jo's in the
> reset-reset-reset-reset reality, but the show is inconsistent.

Jo is the first and only one that we know of to hold the job that she
holds now.

> Also, there doesn't seem to be a contract compliance officer for the
> last several seasons.

Nope. That guy disappeared back when Fargo was in the habit of pushing
buttons that he shouldn't have been pushing.

> I don't even recall that she was a doctor till much, much later.

She's held multiple doctoral degrees since the very beginning.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 18, 2012, 5:13:21 PM6/18/12
Jim G. <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman sent the following on 6/17/2012 5:15 PM:
>>EGK <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>>>Allison was head of GD. She had Fargo's job. When they came back from the
>>>1940's they found Fargo was head of GD and Allison was head of medicine
>>>instead.

>>Before Stark was killed off, before Henry reset the original first reality
>>at the end of season 1, Allison wasn't doing medical research. She was
>>head of security.

>She was never the head of security.

I'm thinking of some of the clearance functions she performed; seemed as
if she was. She didn't report to anybody at GD.

>>I seem to recall that she was employed directly by
>>the military (exactly which branch oversees things varies) as the main
>>contract officer. I thought she had military rank, too, but maybe I'm
>>not remembering. She was there to enforce security.

>I don't think that she ever had military rank, but she *did* serve as
>liaison of sorts between GD and its military overlords.

That's why I said she was in charge of the contract. You know, we've never
met GD's owners.

>>I don't remember anyone in the cast having a job comparable to Jo's in the
>>reset-reset-reset-reset reality, but the show is inconsistent.

>Jo is the first and only one that we know of to hold the job that she
>holds now.

I meant Allison, not Jo. Sorry.

>>I don't even recall that she was a doctor till much, much later.

>She's held multiple doctoral degrees since the very beginning.

I don't recall that she was an M.D. till much later.

Dragon Lady

Jun 18, 2012, 9:06:21 PM6/18/12

"suzeeq" <su...@imbris.com> wrote in message
Ok, that's just scary.....

Jim G.

Jun 19, 2012, 12:21:50 PM6/19/12
Adam H. Kerman sent the following on 6/18/2012 4:13 PM:
No one used to do the security job that Jo does now and no one *now*
seems to do the job that Allison *used to* do as as liaison with the
military. So the org chart has undergone multiple changes over time.
Allison's first job in town seems to have vanished unless we're to
assume that Fargo (as head of GD) is doing it. Which makes some sense
even as it points out the redundancy that was there at the outset when
Allison had the role. And having said all of that, it was always kinda
blurry between that "head of GD" and "liaison" bit, anyway, so who
knows? As someone else here has pointed out, a lot of it has been
inconsistent to varying degrees, but the show has been lightweight
enough (and not taken itself seriously) that I haven't bothered to get
worked up over the inconsistencies and blurry stuff. I've just enjoyed
the sheer fun of it, which has been sadly lacking since the reboot--and
the addition of my pal Berg to the production/writing side of things.

>>> I don't even recall that she was a doctor till much, much later.
>
>> She's held multiple doctoral degrees since the very beginning.
>
> I don't recall that she was an M.D. till much later.

She went from liaison to head of GD to her post-reboot role of medical
head only. As for the M.D. stuff early on, I'm pretty sure that she
treated Carter for any number of his job-related injuries and I don't
recall ever wondering why she was qualified to do that, so I'm assuming
that *something* made it clear early on that she was an M.D. But I don't
have any specific moments in mind that I can refer to in a "This is when
we were told that Allison is an M.D." sort of way.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 19, 2012, 12:47:40 PM6/19/12
Jim G. <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman sent the following on 6/18/2012 4:13 PM:

>>I don't recall that she was an M.D. till much later.

>She went from liaison to head of GD to her post-reboot role of medical
>head only. As for the M.D. stuff early on, I'm pretty sure that she
>treated Carter for any number of his job-related injuries and I don't
>recall ever wondering why she was qualified to do that, so I'm assuming
>that *something* made it clear early on that she was an M.D. But I don't
>have any specific moments in mind that I can refer to in a "This is when
>we were told that Allison is an M.D." sort of way.

Fine. Perhaps I've forgotten.

anim8rFSK

Jun 19, 2012, 7:49:22 PM6/19/12
In article <jrq9ap$t7b$8...@news.albasani.net>,
Okay, you got me to pop on S01E01 when Eureka was still hilly and had a
lake at the end of the main drag and Nero Wolfe was Sheriff. :) Carter
and Black meet for the first time. He badges her and says "Jack Carter,
U.S. Marshal" and she badges him back and says "Allison Blake Department
of Defense" Jack calls her "Miss Carter" and she quickly corrects him
"Agent Carter"

When she takes him to G.D. (still behind an invisible bridge) he asks
her what her job is since she's obviously not the science type. She
says she's a government liaison.

The Army Colonel calls her Miss Blake.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 19, 2012, 7:54:48 PM6/19/12
anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>Okay, you got me to pop on S01E01 when Eureka was still hilly and had a
>lake at the end of the main drag and Nero Wolfe was Sheriff. :) Carter
>and Black meet for the first time. He badges her and says "Jack Carter,
>U.S. Marshal" and she badges him back and says "Allison Blake Department
>of Defense" Jack calls her "Miss Carter" and she quickly corrects him
>"Agent Carter"

She, what, a DARPA agent?

>When she takes him to G.D. (still behind an invisible bridge) he asks
>her what her job is since she's obviously not the science type. She
>says she's a government liaison.

>The Army Colonel calls her Miss Blake.

Thanks for clarifying that she doesn't have military rank.

See, I recalled that she cleared Carter for entry to Eureka, which is why
I thought she had a security function, at least with regard to personnel.

As long as you've got the pilot cued up, was Fish playing Stark or did
he have another name? I was disappointed that he wasn't on the series.

anim8rFSK

Jun 19, 2012, 7:55:10 PM6/19/12
In article <anim8rfsk-EB57A...@news.easynews.com>,
http://eureka.wikia.com/wiki/Allison_Blake

M.D. and 2 PhDs. "Used to be a doctor" as of s01e05.

Icebreaker

Jun 19, 2012, 8:05:22 PM6/19/12

"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote in message
Fish (Greg Germann) was a different character.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 19, 2012, 8:12:07 PM6/19/12
Icebreaker <icebr...@someplaceoranother.com> wrote:
Thank you.

suzeeq

Jun 19, 2012, 11:35:48 PM6/19/12
anim8rFSK wrote:

> Okay, you got me to pop on S01E01 when Eureka was still hilly and had a
> lake at the end of the main drag and Nero Wolfe was Sheriff. :) Carter
> and Black meet for the first time. He badges her and says "Jack Carter,
> U.S. Marshal" and she badges him back and says "Allison Blake Department
> of Defense" Jack calls her "Miss Carter" and she quickly corrects him
> "Agent Carter"

I don't think she's anything 'Carter', Miss, Agent or whatever...

anim8rFSK

Jun 20, 2012, 11:29:31 AM6/20/12
In article <jrrgeg$miu$1...@dont-email.me>, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com>
wrote:

> anim8rFSK wrote:
>
> > Okay, you got me to pop on S01E01 when Eureka was still hilly and had a
> > lake at the end of the main drag and Nero Wolfe was Sheriff. :) Carter
> > and Black meet for the first time. He badges her and says "Jack Carter,
> > U.S. Marshal" and she badges him back and says "Allison Blake Department
> > of Defense" Jack calls her "Miss Carter" and she quickly corrects him
> > "Agent Carter"
>
> I don't think she's anything 'Carter', Miss, Agent or whatever...

sigh. Mea Culpa.

Jack calls her "Miss Blake" and she quickly corrects him
> > "Agent Blake"

Jim G.

Jun 20, 2012, 11:42:51 AM6/20/12
anim8rFSK sent the following on 6/19/2012 6:49 PM:
> In article <jrq9ap$t7b$8...@news.albasani.net>,
> "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> No one used to do the security job that Jo does now and no one *now*
>> seems to do the job that Allison *used to* do as as liaison with the
>> military. So the org chart has undergone multiple changes over time.
>> Allison's first job in town seems to have vanished unless we're to
>> assume that Fargo (as head of GD) is doing it. Which makes some sense
>> even as it points out the redundancy that was there at the outset when
>> Allison had the role. And having said all of that, it was always kinda
>> blurry between that "head of GD" and "liaison" bit, anyway, so who
>> knows? As someone else here has pointed out, a lot of it has been
>> inconsistent to varying degrees, but the show has been lightweight
>> enough (and not taken itself seriously) that I haven't bothered to get
>> worked up over the inconsistencies and blurry stuff. I've just enjoyed
>> the sheer fun of it, which has been sadly lacking since the reboot--and
>> the addition of my pal Berg to the production/writing side of things.
>>
>> She went from liaison to head of GD to her post-reboot role of medical
>> head only. As for the M.D. stuff early on, I'm pretty sure that she
>> treated Carter for any number of his job-related injuries and I don't
>> recall ever wondering why she was qualified to do that, so I'm assuming
>> that *something* made it clear early on that she was an M.D. But I don't
>> have any specific moments in mind that I can refer to in a "This is when
>> we were told that Allison is an M.D." sort of way.
>
> Okay, you got me to pop on S01E01 when Eureka was still hilly and had a
> lake at the end of the main drag and Nero Wolfe was Sheriff. :) Carter
> and Black meet for the first time. He badges her and says "Jack Carter,
> U.S. Marshal" and she badges him back and says "Allison Blake Department
> of Defense" Jack calls her "Miss Carter" and she quickly corrects him
> "Agent Carter"
>
> When she takes him to G.D. (still behind an invisible bridge) he asks
> her what her job is since she's obviously not the science type. She
> says she's a government liaison.
>
> The Army Colonel calls her Miss Blake.

Surprisingly enough, that's pretty consistent with my memories. I don't
recall ever catching any indications that she was military herself;
rather, she was introduced as a liaison with the DoD. A brilliant
liaison, but a non-military one nonetheless. In fact, I recall that she
made it pretty clear that, when interests collided, her sympathies
tended to be with the GD geeks and not with the folks in uniform.

Jim G.

Jun 20, 2012, 11:53:42 AM6/20/12
anim8rFSK sent the following on 6/19/2012 6:55 PM:
> In article <anim8rfsk-EB57A...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> In article <jrq9ap$t7b$8...@news.albasani.net>,
>> "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> No one used to do the security job that Jo does now and no one *now*
>>> seems to do the job that Allison *used to* do as as liaison with the
>>> military. So the org chart has undergone multiple changes over time.
>>> Allison's first job in town seems to have vanished unless we're to
>>> assume that Fargo (as head of GD) is doing it. Which makes some sense
>>> even as it points out the redundancy that was there at the outset when
>>> Allison had the role. And having said all of that, it was always kinda
>>> blurry between that "head of GD" and "liaison" bit, anyway, so who
>>> knows? As someone else here has pointed out, a lot of it has been
>>> inconsistent to varying degrees, but the show has been lightweight
>>> enough (and not taken itself seriously) that I haven't bothered to get
>>> worked up over the inconsistencies and blurry stuff. I've just enjoyed
>>> the sheer fun of it, which has been sadly lacking since the reboot--and
>>> the addition of my pal Berg to the production/writing side of things.
>>>
>>> She went from liaison to head of GD to her post-reboot role of medical
>>> head only. As for the M.D. stuff early on, I'm pretty sure that she
>>> treated Carter for any number of his job-related injuries and I don't
>>> recall ever wondering why she was qualified to do that, so I'm assuming
>>> that *something* made it clear early on that she was an M.D. But I don't
>>> have any specific moments in mind that I can refer to in a "This is when
>>> we were told that Allison is an M.D." sort of way.
>>
>> Okay, you got me to pop on S01E01 when Eureka was still hilly and had a
>> lake at the end of the main drag and Nero Wolfe was Sheriff. :) Carter
>> and Black meet for the first time. He badges her and says "Jack Carter,
>> U.S. Marshal" and she badges him back and says "Allison Blake Department
>> of Defense" Jack calls her "Miss Carter" and she quickly corrects him
>> "Agent Carter"
>>
>> When she takes him to G.D. (still behind an invisible bridge) he asks
>> her what her job is since she's obviously not the science type. She
>> says she's a government liaison.
>>
>> The Army Colonel calls her Miss Blake.
>
> http://eureka.wikia.com/wiki/Allison_Blake
>
> M.D. and 2 PhDs. "Used to be a doctor" as of s01e05.

Okay, so if that was the first confirmation of it within the show, then
I'm gonna need a judge's ruling on whether the fifth episode can be
considered "early on" and "the very beginning." I'm hoping that the
grading is being done on a generous curve here. :)

anim8rFSK

Jun 20, 2012, 5:24:32 PM6/20/12
In article <jrstv0$ts0$2...@news.albasani.net>,
Ep 1 is extra long, and ep 2 is really a sequel to the pilot, so I'm
calling the first 2 eps 1 triple length intro, so ep 5 really becomes ep
3, which is 'early on'

Jim G.

Jun 20, 2012, 7:34:24 PM6/20/12
anim8rFSK sent the following on 6/20/2012 4:24 PM:
I could have used you as a prof a couple of times back in college.

anim8rFSK

Jun 20, 2012, 9:15:12 PM6/20/12
In article <jrtmvf$n3e$5...@news.albasani.net>,
I'm overqualified.

Jim G.

Jun 21, 2012, 12:21:47 PM6/21/12
anim8rFSK sent the following on 6/20/2012 8:15 PM:
Heh. When it comes to the liberal arts side of campus, folks who can
think independently usually are. Sadly, I needed the assist on the
*other* side of campus, where just repeating back a professor's poorly
considered personal opinions was not enough to guarantee an A when test
time rolled around.