He's baack, so he is [SNUK]

1 view

MartinS

Nov 21, 2010, 5:51:13 PM11/21/10
I'm surprised that no one has commented on the reappearance this week of
Jim McDonald, complete with his "So it is", "What's the crack?" and "Know
what I mean?". I thought he had just come back for Jack's funeral, but it
appears there is a major feud brewing between him and Owen over Liz. Jim
is still extremely possessive of "Elizabeth", as only he calls her, even
though they were divorced (for the second time) 10 years ago. He referred
to Owen as just the latest of the three-minute wonders she has taken up
with since the divorce - and there have been quite a few of them, from a
wide range of ages. Liz, wisely, is keeping out of the way.

There are several potentially explosive relationship stories building,
including Tyrone/Molly/Kevin/Sally and Peter/Leanne/Nick/Carla, one or
more of which may be resolved by the tram crash in two-and-a-half weeks.

--
Martin S.

GordonD

Nov 21, 2010, 6:44:46 PM11/21/10
"MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote in message

> I'm surprised that no one has commented on the reappearance this week of
> Jim McDonald, complete with his "So it is", "What's the crack?" and "Know
> what I mean?". I thought he had just come back for Jack's funeral, but it
> appears there is a major feud brewing between him and Owen over Liz. Jim
> is still extremely possessive of "Elizabeth", as only he calls her, even
> though they were divorced (for the second time) 10 years ago. He referred
> to Owen as just the latest of the three-minute wonders she has taken up
> with since the divorce - and there have been quite a few of them, from a
> wide range of ages. Liz, wisely, is keeping out of the way.

I would say calling them 'three minute wonders' was being generous, unless
they ate a boiled egg afterwards.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God."

MartinS

Nov 21, 2010, 7:15:45 PM11/21/10
"GordonD" <g.d...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> "MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote...

>> I'm surprised that no one has commented on the reappearance this week
>> of Jim McDonald, complete with his "So it is", "What's the crack?"
>> and "Know what I mean?". I thought he had just come back for Jack's
>> funeral, but it appears there is a major feud brewing between him and
>> Owen over Liz. Jim is still extremely possessive of "Elizabeth", as
>> only he calls her, even though they were divorced (for the second
>> time) 10 years ago. He referred to Owen as just the latest of the
>> three-minute wonders she has taken up with since the divorce - and
>> there have been quite a few of them, from a wide range of ages. Liz,
>> wisely, is keeping out of the way.
>
> I would say calling them 'three minute wonders' was being generous,
> unless they ate a boiled egg afterwards.

I hope they washed their tongues first.

--
Martin S.

GordonD

Nov 22, 2010, 5:57:34 AM11/22/10
"MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote in message

Eeeeeew!

Nick

Nov 22, 2010, 6:44:47 AM11/22/10

The feud between Jim and Owen is interesting - can't stand that Owen!

Nick

Enzo Matrix

Nov 22, 2010, 5:07:03 PM11/22/10
MartinS writted:

> I'm surprised that no one has commented on the reappearance this week of
> Jim McDonald, complete with his "So it is", "What's the crack?" and "Know
> what I mean?". I thought he had just come back for Jack's funeral, but it
> appears there is a major feud brewing between him and Owen over Liz.

Let me know when Jim beats Owen into a bloody pulp. I'll definitely tune in
for that episode.

Owen is the most despicable character since Les Battersby. He's a liar, a
cheat, a bully and an abusive father. Why on earth would the PTBs think
that anyone wants to see his sort?

--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

MartinS

Nov 23, 2010, 12:12:38 AM11/23/10

We want to see him get his comeuppance. Likewise John Stape, especially
now that Colin Fishwick's mother has turned up looking for her son. I
thought she was going to peg it there and then - and so did John.

--
Martin S.

Pedantic King

Nov 23, 2010, 2:34:09 AM11/23/10
Is it Colin's Mum or somebody put up to it by Charlotte? Way she is
trying to get into John and Fiz's "is this a sofa bed?" etc

exntluser

Nov 23, 2010, 2:54:23 AM11/23/10

"Enzo Matrix" <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Looking at itv.com, the pictures show a battle scarred Big Jim in a hospital
bed, with Steve & Owen at his side........
The thick plottens!

GordonD

Nov 23, 2010, 5:40:02 AM11/23/10
"MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote in message

I wonder how he'd have disposed of the body!

GordonD

Nov 23, 2010, 5:40:44 AM11/23/10
"Pedantic King" <P...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

It's not Colin's mum, it's Mrs Warboys - old friend of Victor and Margaret
Meldrew.

Nick

Nov 23, 2010, 5:45:28 AM11/23/10

I thought it was Mrs. Warboys - thanks for confirming it. :-)

Nick

Nick

Nov 23, 2010, 5:46:49 AM11/23/10

Yes, Owen is a horrible character!

Nick

Pedantic King

Nov 23, 2010, 6:14:13 AM11/23/10

And Jim is?

Nick

Nov 23, 2010, 6:35:34 AM11/23/10

LOL - also horrible, but nothing like as horrible as Owen!

Nick

Pedantic King

Nov 23, 2010, 11:11:59 AM11/23/10

As far as we know Owen has never physically assaulted his wife/partner,
same can't be said for Jim!

JohnW

Nov 23, 2010, 1:02:09 PM11/23/10

"MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote in message

Just a friendly reminder as to what SNUK means. It should be safe to read
for us UK viewers to read these threads without finding out about stories
that we haven't yet seen.

Enzo Matrix

Nov 23, 2010, 1:43:40 PM11/23/10
Pedantic King writted:

The salt of the earth, so he is.

Enzo Matrix

Nov 23, 2010, 1:45:44 PM11/23/10
Pedantic King writted:

He doesn't have to physically assault a family member to be abusive. Owen
definitely has an abusive character. Why do you think that Izzy left?

It's only a matter of time before Owen beats Chesneh up.

Enzo Matrix

Nov 23, 2010, 1:48:39 PM11/23/10
JohnW writted:

> "MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote in message
>> I'm surprised that no one has commented on the reappearance this week of
>> Jim McDonald, complete with his "So it is", "What's the crack?" and "Know
>> what I mean?". I thought he had just come back for Jack's funeral, but it
>> appears there is a major feud brewing between him and Owen over Liz. Jim
>> is still extremely possessive of "Elizabeth", as only he calls her, even
>> though they were divorced (for the second time) 10 years ago. He referred
>> to Owen as just the latest of the three-minute wonders she has taken up
>> with since the divorce - and there have been quite a few of them, from a
>> wide range of ages. Liz, wisely, is keeping out of the way.
>>
>> There are several potentially explosive relationship stories building,
>> including Tyrone/Molly/Kevin/Sally and Peter/Leanne/Nick/Carla, one or
>> more of which may be resolved by the tram crash in two-and-a-half weeks.
>>

> Just a friendly reminder as to what SNUK means. It should be safe to read
> for us UK viewers to read these threads without finding out about stories
> that we haven't yet seen.

But we *have* seen them. Once they have been broadcast on the telly, it is
fair game for discussion.

The only thing we haven't seen yet is the tram crash, and you'd have to be
living under a rock on the planet Tharg not to have heard about that.

MartinS

Nov 24, 2010, 1:02:28 AM11/24/10

Could be...

--
Martin S.

MartinS

Nov 24, 2010, 1:04:14 AM11/24/10
"exntluser" <exnt...@ntl.gone> wrote:
> "Enzo Matrix" <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote...

>> MartinS writted:
>>> I'm surprised that no one has commented on the reappearance this
>>> week of Jim McDonald, complete with his "So it is", "What's the
>>> crack?" and "Know what I mean?". I thought he had just come back for
>>> Jack's funeral, but it appears there is a major feud brewing between
>>> him and Owen over Liz.
>>
>> Let me know when Jim beats Owen into a bloody pulp. I'll definitely
>> tune in for that episode.
>>
>> Owen is the most despicable character since Les Battersby. He's a
>> liar, a cheat, a bully and an abusive father. Why on earth would the
>> PTBs think that anyone wants to see his sort?
>
> Looking at itv.com, the pictures show a battle scarred Big Jim in a
> hospital bed, with Steve & Owen at his side........
> The thick plottens!

He might have fallen off some scaffolding, so he might. Know what I mean?

--
Martin S.

MartinS

Nov 24, 2010, 1:04:45 AM11/24/10
"GordonD" <g.d...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> "MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote...
>> "Enzo Matrix" <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> MartinS writted:
>>>
>>> Let me know when Jim beats Owen into a bloody pulp. I'll definitely
>>> tune in for that episode.
>>>
>>> Owen is the most despicable character since Les Battersby. He's a
>>> liar, a cheat, a bully and an abusive father. Why on earth would the
>>> PTBs think that anyone wants to see his sort?
>>
>> We want to see him get his comeuppance. Likewise John Stape, especially
>> now that Colin Fishwick's mother has turned up looking for her son. I
>> thought she was going to peg it there and then - and so did John.
>
> I wonder how he'd have disposed of the body!

The old Cleopatra routine.

--
Martin S.

MartinS

Nov 24, 2010, 1:06:23 AM11/24/10
"Enzo Matrix" <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Pedantic King writted:

>> Nick wrote:

>>> Yes, Owen is a horrible character!
>>
>> And Jim is?
>
> The salt of the earth, so he is.

Well, that's the crack, so it is. Know what I mean?

--
Martin S.

MartinS

Nov 24, 2010, 1:10:32 AM11/24/10
"Enzo Matrix" <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> JohnW writted:
>> "MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote...
>>> I'm surprised that no one has commented on the reappearance this
>>> week of Jim McDonald, complete with his "So it is", "What's the
>>> crack?" and "Know what I mean?". I thought he had just come back for
>>> Jack's funeral, but it appears there is a major feud brewing between
>>> him and Owen over Liz. Jim is still extremely possessive of
>>> "Elizabeth", as only he calls her, even though they were divorced
>>> (for the second time) 10 years ago. He referred to Owen as just the
>>> latest of the three-minute wonders she has taken up with since the
>>> divorce - and there have been quite a few of them, from a wide range
>>> of ages. Liz, wisely, is keeping out of the way.
>>>
>>> There are several potentially explosive relationship stories
>>> building, including Tyrone/Molly/Kevin/Sally and
>>> Peter/Leanne/Nick/Carla, one or more of which may be resolved by the
>>> tram crash in two-and-a-half weeks.
>>
>> Just a friendly reminder as to what SNUK means. It should be safe to
>> read for us UK viewers to read these threads without finding out
>> about stories that we haven't yet seen.
>
> But we *have* seen them. Once they have been broadcast on the telly,
> it is fair game for discussion.
>
> The only thing we haven't seen yet is the tram crash, and you'd have
> to be living under a rock on the planet Tharg not to have heard about
> that.

Eggzackerly. The tram crash is assumed to be common knowledge. It's all
over itv.com, Youtube and the media. What isn't common knowledge is
exactly who is to die. The actors are sworn to secrecy. Still, we know a
few have announced they are leaving, or have not had their contracts
renewed, so we can hazard a wild guess or two.

--
Martin S.

Ophelia

Nov 24, 2010, 1:57:37 AM11/24/10

"MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote in message

The only ones I know are the Peacocks who are going to France.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

GordonD

Nov 24, 2010, 4:05:34 AM11/24/10
"MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote in message

What has Alma got to do with it?

GordonD

Nov 24, 2010, 4:06:28 AM11/24/10
"Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk> wrote in message

Well, that's what they're planning...

exntluser

Nov 24, 2010, 4:11:39 AM11/24/10

"GordonD" <g.d...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
Asp a silly question.........

Nick

Nov 24, 2010, 5:34:45 AM11/24/10

I can't remember that, but just at the moment Jim is behaving himself
- of course, that may change!

Nick

GordonD

Nov 24, 2010, 5:55:07 AM11/24/10
"exntluser" <exnt...@ntl.gone> wrote in message

You've all got it infamy!

exntluser

Nov 24, 2010, 5:58:54 AM11/24/10

"GordonD" <g.d...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
Et Tu GordonD, he said looking over his shoulder!

Andy S

Nov 24, 2010, 6:22:48 AM11/24/10
You may have been wondering what has happened to Ted. Well, I can now
reveal he's banged up in prison just like some of the other members of
his family have been recently!

However, to avoid the embarassment of people knowing that the Platt
family are related to him he changed his name to "Gellert
Grindlewald".

Cakes with files in should be sent c/o Azkaban prison, the North Sea.

(apologies to the author I replied to earlier - thinking I was putting
a reply here :-) )

Cheers.

MartinS

Nov 24, 2010, 11:42:51 AM11/24/10
"GordonD" <g.d...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> "Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk> wrote...
>> "MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote...

Correction - that's what Claire's planning. I knew she would get her
wicked way over spineless Ashley, despite Steve and Lloyd's efforts to
get him to "man it up". Can you really see Ashley running a charcuterie?

What's French for offal?

--
Martin S.

MartinS

Nov 24, 2010, 11:44:21 AM11/24/10
"GordonD" <g.d...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> "MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote...
>> "GordonD" <g.d...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>> "MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote...

>>> I wonder how he'd have disposed of the body!
>>
>> The old Cleopatra routine.
>
> What has Alma got to do with it?

Mrs. Burton got the treatment too.

--
Martin S.

MartinS

Nov 24, 2010, 11:51:59 AM11/24/10
Nick <paci...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> Pedantic King <P...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Nick wrote:

>> > LOL - also horrible, but nothing like as horrible as Owen!
>>
>> As far as we know Owen has never physically assaulted his
>> wife/partner, same can't be said for Jim!
>
> I can't remember that, but just at the moment Jim is behaving himself
> - of course, that may change!

I don't know, the way he's treating Owen as dirt, just another of Liz's
many conquests. And what hold does Jim have over Liz, anyway? It's all
in his jealous mind, and he's heading for a thumping. If Owen can't do
it himself, I'm sure he can enlist some assistance, e.g. from Chris.

--
Martin S.

Pedantic King

Nov 24, 2010, 12:30:48 PM11/24/10

A few years ago on the way back from an army reunion Jim found out Liz
had been "entertaining" one of his mates so beat her up in the car.

JohnW

Nov 24, 2010, 1:17:37 PM11/24/10

"MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote in message

Well I must be living under a rock. I was aware that there was a major
story line on it's way but I this thread was the first I had heard of a tram
crash. I don't ever go to ITV.com. I use YouTube a lot but I'm a searcher
not a browser so I don't tend to stumble across stuff and it's obviously not
"all over" the bits of media that I come into contact with - when you gather
most of your news from websites (as opposed to newspapers) it's very easy
not to click on a link that may contain a spoiler. I don't actively seek out
information about what's going to happen, I prefer to just watch the
episodes and hear what people have to say about them afterwards. I don't
even read the synopsys in the listings about any episode. I was obviously
the only viewer that didn't know when Jack was going to die as I heard
people say that they watched the episode(s) specially when I had no idea
(although it was pretty much signposted during those episodes).
I do find it interesting that this is considered general knowledge and if
I'm out of touch then I guess that's my problem.

MartinS

Nov 24, 2010, 3:38:06 PM11/24/10
"JohnW" <newsremoveth...@hardcafe.co.uk> wrote:
> "MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote...
> Well I must be living under a rock. I was aware that there was a
> major story line on it's way but I this thread was the first I had
> heard of a tram crash. I don't ever go to ITV.com. I use YouTube a lot
> but I'm a searcher not a browser so I don't tend to stumble across
> stuff and it's obviously not "all over" the bits of media that I come
> into contact with - when you gather most of your news from websites
> (as opposed to newspapers) it's very easy not to click on a link that
> may contain a spoiler. I don't actively seek out information about
> what's going to happen, I prefer to just watch the episodes and hear
> what people have to say about them afterwards. I don't even read the
> synopsys in the listings about any episode. I was obviously the only
> viewer that didn't know when Jack was going to die as I heard people
> say that they watched the episode(s) specially when I had no idea
> (although it was pretty much signposted during those episodes). I do
> find it interesting that this is considered general knowledge and if
> I'm out of touch then I guess that's my problem.

Well, I guess you don't read all the posts on this group, as there have
been many mentions of the tram crash and speculation over who might die
over the past several months. Several cast members have talked about it
on TV e.g. Babs Knox to Paul O'Grady and Vicky Binns to Alan Titchmarsh.

--
Martin S.

JohnW

Nov 24, 2010, 4:33:18 PM11/24/10

"MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote in message

Well, no, I don't read all the posts. Anything marked "Spoiler" is avoided
completely and if I get a bit behind with my viewing I might miss a few.
Sometimes it's hard to tell what mentions are speculation and which are
actual spoilers, when it becomes unclear, I'll stop reading. I don't watch
any of the shows you mention in fact I can't recall the last time I saw a
Street actor on television anywhere other than on the Street. I'm rapidly
coming to the conclusion that I don't really fall in the target demographic.
I fully accept that I'm clearly out of step here but when does a spoiler
become a SNUK?

Anne R

Nov 24, 2010, 5:12:56 PM11/24/10

"JohnW" <newsremoveth...@hardcafe.co.uk> wrote in message
A spoiler is for everyone, SNUK is for us viewers who are not in the UK, so
are seeing episodes many months after they were originally shown.
Here in Canada the second episode from Monday 1 February 2010 was shown last
evening, so tonight we should have the one from Thursday 4 Feb/10.

GordonD

Nov 24, 2010, 5:16:38 PM11/24/10
"JohnW" <newsremoveth...@hardcafe.co.uk> wrote in message

SNUK means Spoiler Non-UK - i.e. something which has already aired in the UK
so presumably everybody here has seen it. However it won't be shown for
several months in Canada or New Zealand so it's a warning to the people
there.

Nick

Nov 25, 2010, 5:38:26 AM11/25/10
On Nov 24, 5:30 pm, Pedantic King <P...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/11/2010 16:51, MartinS wrote:
>

> > Nick<pacif...@btopenworld.com>  wrote:

Thanks - I must have seen it and should have remembered it.

Nick

Nick

Nov 25, 2010, 5:40:46 AM11/25/10
On Nov 24, 10:55 am, "GordonD" <g.da...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> "exntluser" <exntlu...@ntl.gone> wrote in message

> > "GordonD" <g.da...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> >> "MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote in message

<g> Are they giving you the Needle?

Nick

JohnW

Nov 25, 2010, 3:14:29 PM11/25/10

"GordonD" <g.d...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

"...so presumably everyone here has seen it."
That's the key phrase. My moan started when SNUK was used to denote
something that it someone felt that everybody knew about rather than
everyone has seen. Your definition is what I have alway thought it meant as
well.

Nick

Nov 27, 2010, 5:41:16 AM11/27/10
On Nov 24, 4:51 pm, MartinS <m...@my.place> wrote:

Sorry, Martin, I've only just noticed your post.

As for Jim treating Owen like dirt, I can only recall the business of
Owen re-directing those flowers back to Jim which I didn't think was
very nice!
Mind you, last night Owen showed a kinder side letting his daughter
stay with Chesney.

As for the thumping, I'm guessing Chris must be the abusive boyfriend
of the lap--dancer?

Nick

GordonD

Nov 27, 2010, 5:50:25 AM11/27/10
"Nick" <paci...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

> As for the thumping, I'm guessing Chris must be the abusive boyfriend
> of the lap--dancer?

Estranged husband, but otherwise that's right.

Nick

Nov 27, 2010, 6:13:38 AM11/27/10
On Nov 27, 10:50 am, "GordonD" <g.da...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> "Nick" <pacif...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

> > As for the thumping, I'm guessing Chris must be the abusive boyfriend
> > of the lap--dancer?
>
> Estranged husband, but otherwise that's right.
> --

Thanks, Gordon - yes, should have said husband! :-)

Nick

MartinS

Nov 27, 2010, 10:33:54 AM11/27/10
> Sorry, Martin, I've only just noticed your post.
>
> As for Jim treating Owen like dirt, I can only recall the business of
> Owen re-directing those flowers back to Jim which I didn't think was
> very nice!
> Mind you, last night Owen showed a kinder side letting his daughter
> stay with Chesney.

> As for the thumping, I'm guessing Chris must be the abusive boyfriend
> of the lap--dancer?

Yes, that Chris - who now works for Owen.

Either Owen realises he has no choice, or more likely he has other plans
to get back at Chesney. He's not a man who gives in easily.

--
Martin S.

Nick

Nov 27, 2010, 11:02:26 AM11/27/10

<g> Oh yeah - I'd forgotten he works for him!

> Either Owen realises he has no choice, or more likely he has other plans
> to get back at Chesney. He's not a man who gives in easily.

Or he may think if he removes all the obstacles, his daughter's
attraction to Chesney will wear off.
So she's moving into the Stape residence - I *do* wish Stape would
sort himself out!

Nick

froggy

Nov 27, 2010, 12:53:39 PM11/27/10
Le 24/11/2010 17:42, MartinS a écrit :

> What's French for offal?

"abats"

--
Froggy

"Les cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnaît."

Michel Audiard, "Les Tontons Flingueurs" (1963)

MartinS

Nov 27, 2010, 3:37:35 PM11/27/10

Now that Charlotte knows John has rumbked her, will she try to blackmail
him into leaving Fiz? After all, Fiz doesn't know about Colin's demise.

--
Martin S.

MartinS

Nov 27, 2010, 3:31:17 PM11/27/10
froggy <batman.th...@gotham.city> wrote:
> Le 24/11/2010 17:42, MartinS a écrit :
>>
>> What's French for offal?
>
> "abats"

Merci buckets.

--
Martin S.

GordonD

Nov 27, 2010, 5:51:10 PM11/27/10
"MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote in message

Maybe that's to come. At the moment she's settling for a timeshare.

MartinS

Nov 28, 2010, 12:24:02 AM11/28/10
"GordonD" <g.d...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> "MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote...
>> Nick <paci...@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>>> <g> Oh yeah - I'd forgotten he works for him!

>>> Or he may think if he removes all the obstacles, his daughter's
>>> attraction to Chesney will wear off.
>>> So she's moving into the Stape residence - I *do* wish Stape would
>>> sort himself out!
>>
>> Now that Charlotte knows John has rumbked her, will she try to
>> blackmail him into leaving Fiz? After all, Fiz doesn't know about
>> Colin's demise.
>
> Maybe that's to come. At the moment she's settling for a timeshare.

But John isn't settling for it. She'll have to apply more pressure.

--
Martin S.

Nick

Nov 28, 2010, 9:34:32 AM11/28/10

Oh, she might!
Wouldn't it be great if Stape went to the police and told them
EVERYTHING? :-D

Nick

MartinS

Nov 28, 2010, 11:34:12 AM11/28/10

It'll never happen. He's a pathological liar.

--
Martin S.

Nick

Nov 29, 2010, 6:43:30 AM11/29/10

I know, so the story goes on and on much too long, IMHO!

Nick

Nick

Dec 2, 2010, 7:51:22 AM12/2/10
On Nov 23, 10:40 am, "GordonD" <g.da...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> "Pedantic King" <P...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> We want to see him get his comeuppance. Likewise John Stape, especially
> >> now that Colin Fishwick's mother has turned up looking for her son. I
> >> thought she was going to peg it there and then - and so did John.
>
> > Is it Colin's Mum or somebody put up to it by Charlotte? Way she is trying
> > to get into John and Fiz's "is this a sofa bed?" etc
>
> It's not Colin's mum, it's Mrs Warboys - old friend of Victor and Margaret
> Meldrew.
> --

I did a search for 'Warboys' on ratucs, but came up empty so had a
devil of a job finding this post.

I was looking at John Stape and 'Mrs. Warboys' last night and decided
that Stape looks just like her - did anyone else see the resemblance?

Also, did anyone recognise Howard's ladyfriend from Last of the Summer
Wine appearing as Charlotte's mum and her dad who was once a top cop
in a TV series, possibly New Scoland Yard?

Nick

@btinternet.com Carol

Dec 2, 2010, 10:01:19 AM12/2/10

"Nick" <paci...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

Nick

My other arf said it was Z cars

Nick

Dec 2, 2010, 11:39:38 AM12/2/10
On Dec 2, 3:01 pm, "Carol" <Carolann.clough @btinternet.com> wrote:
> "Nick" <pacif...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

Your other arf was right - he was in Z cars AND New Scotland Yard! :-)
His name is John Woodvine (I think I once knew his name but forgot it)
and Charlotte's mum was played by Jean Ferguson.

Nick

Anne R

Dec 2, 2010, 3:14:50 PM12/2/10

"Nick" <paci...@btopenworld.com> wrote ..

On Dec 2, 3:01 pm, "Carol" <Carolann.clough @btinternet.com> wrote:
> "Nick" <pacif...@btopenworld.com> wrote...

> On Nov 23, 10:40 am, "GordonD" <g.da...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> > "Pedantic King" <P...@hotmail.com> wrote

Nick

Didn't Jean Ferguson (Marina of LOTSW) also play the mother of either Gary
or Judy Mallett some years ago on Corrie?

GordonD

Dec 2, 2010, 3:49:02 PM12/2/10
"Anne R" <anner...@cogeco.ca> wrote in message

Not Judy - her mum was played by Anita Carey, the original Pat in "I Didn't
Know You Cared".

MartinS

Dec 2, 2010, 11:29:26 PM12/2/10
"GordonD" <g.d...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> "Anne R" <anner...@cogeco.ca> wrote...
>> "Nick" <paci...@btopenworld.com> wrote ..

>> "Carol" <Carolann.clough @btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> I did a search for 'Warboys' on ratucs, but came up empty so had a
>>> devil of a job finding this post.
>>>
>>> I was looking at John Stape and 'Mrs. Warboys' last night and
>>> decided that Stape looks just like her - did anyone else see the
>>> resemblance?
>>>
>>> Also, did anyone recognise Howard's ladyfriend from Last of the
>>> Summer Wine appearing as Charlotte's mum and her dad who was once a
>>> top cop in a TV series, possibly New Scoland Yard?
>>>
>>> My other arf said it was Z cars
>>
>> Your other arf was right - he was in Z cars AND New Scotland Yard!
>> :-) His name is John Woodvine (I think I once knew his name but
>> forgot it) and Charlotte's mum was played by Jean Ferguson.
>>
>> Didn't Jean Ferguson (Marina of LOTSW) also play the mother of either
>> Gary or Judy Mallett some years ago on Corrie?
>
> Not Judy - her mum was played by Anita Carey, the original Pat in "I
> Didn't Know You Cared".

Anne is right. According to IMDb, Jean Fergusson (double S) played
Mrs. Mallett (Gary's mum, I assume) on 1 October 1999. Also listed in
the epsisode are Gary's son Billy, brother Shane and dad Peter Mallett.
The occasion was Judy's funeral - she died following a car crash caused
by Terry Duckworth's cut-and-shut car. Why Billy is credited and not
Becky I don't know - perhaps he cried.

Like David and Rosie, the Mallett twins were Christmas babies, born 25
December 1998. They were not played by twin babies, unlike some other
non-twins such as Bethany, Freddie and Baby Jack.

--
Martin S.

Nick

Dec 3, 2010, 5:30:00 AM12/3/10
On Dec 2, 8:14 pm, "Anne R" <annerand...@cogeco.ca> wrote:
> "Nick" <pacif...@btopenworld.com> wrote ..

Don't know, but from reading Martin's post, she did - you've got a
good memory, Anne! :-)

Nick

GordonD

Dec 3, 2010, 5:32:16 AM12/3/10
"MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote in message news:Bm_Jo.8$A1...@newsfe11.iad...

> "GordonD" <g.d...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> "Anne R" <anner...@cogeco.ca> wrote...

>>> Didn't Jean Ferguson (Marina of LOTSW) also play the mother of either

>>> Gary or Judy Mallett some years ago on Corrie?
>>
>> Not Judy - her mum was played by Anita Carey, the original Pat in "I
>> Didn't Know You Cared".
>
> Anne is right. According to IMDb, Jean Fergusson (double S) played
> Mrs. Mallett (Gary's mum, I assume) on 1 October 1999.

So Gary had a sex change and became Charlotte? I can see a resemblance!

Anne R

Dec 3, 2010, 8:30:55 AM12/3/10

"Nick" <paci...@btopenworld.com> wrote

On Dec 2, 8:14 pm, "Anne R" <annerand...@cogeco.ca> wrote:
> "Nick" <pacif...@btopenworld.com> wrote ..
> On Dec 2, 3:01 pm, "Carol" <Carolann.clough @btinternet.com> wrote:
>

> > "Nick" <pacif...@btopenworld.com> wrote...
> > On Nov 23, 10:40 am, "GordonD" <g.da...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> > > "Pedantic King" <P...@hotmail.com> wrote

snips

> > > It's not Colin's mum, it's Mrs Warboys - old friend of Victor and
> > > Margaret Meldrew.
> > > --
>
> > I did a search for 'Warboys' on ratucs, but came up empty so had a
> > devil of a job finding this post.
>
> > I was looking at John Stape and 'Mrs. Warboys' last night and decided
> > that Stape looks just like her - did anyone else see the resemblance?
>
> > Also, did anyone recognise Howard's ladyfriend from Last of the Summer
> > Wine appearing as Charlotte's mum and her dad who was once a top cop
> > in a TV series, possibly New Scoland Yard?
>
> > My other arf said it was Z cars
>
> Your other arf was right - he was in Z cars AND New Scotland Yard! :-)
> His name is John Woodvine (I think I once knew his name but forgot it)
> and Charlotte's mum was played by Jean Ferguson.
>
> Nick
>
> Didn't Jean Ferguson (Marina of LOTSW) also play the mother of either Gary
> or Judy Mallett some years ago on Corrie?

Don't know, but from reading Martin's post, she did - you've got a good
memory, Anne! :-)

Nick

Thanks Nick. I didn't know many UK actors back then, but had seen LOTSW
while visiting a cousin in Bedfordshire (one of her favorite shows), and
then on Canadian TV. A friend in Croydon wonders why they don't use
otherwise unknown actors (other than the Ian McKellans and Nigel Havers)
when adding to the cast, but most of the newer cast and brief appearance
actors have been unknown to me, other than Mollie, who was Ollie on
Heartbeat (a favorite show of a Scottish friend with whom I visit).
BTW, we have a Fergusson plot in our church cemetery, and among the interred
is A. J. Fergusson Blair, the first president of the Privy Council of
Canada. He took the additional surname of Blair to get an inheritance.
Fergus, north of here, was name for the family.

Nick

Dec 3, 2010, 10:38:50 AM12/3/10

Interesting about A.J. Fergusson Blair - I wonder if there's any
connection with Jean Fergusson?

When you say Ollie on Heartbeat, I think you mean Emmerdale - the
actor who plays Tyrone was in a few episodes of Heartbeat.

It certainly would be cheaper using otherwise unknown actors and some
of them might be stars of the future; I understand that a lot of
established actors are keen to appear on Corrie and, of course, if
they do, that helps with the viewing figures.

Speaking of established actors, I was really surprised to see George
Chakiris on LOTSW - a far cry from West Side Story!

Nick

Nick

Dec 24, 2010, 3:34:11 AM12/24/10

Thanks, Anne, for your email about Tyrone & Molly; I only use it as a
sort of 'dummy' Google Groups address, but had a gander cos this guy
on umtm said he would send me some mp3 files!

Nick

GordonD

Dec 24, 2010, 4:06:00 AM12/24/10

> BTW, we have a Fergusson plot in our church cemetery, and among the
> interred
> is A. J. Fergusson Blair, the first president of the Privy Council of
> Canada. He took the additional surname of Blair to get an inheritance.

A bit like The Plank, who reverted to his original surname of Tilsley so he
could inherit Ivy's house. (It had been changed to Platt when Gail married
Martin.)
--
Gordon Davie
Bringing threads back on topic since 2001

Nick

Dec 24, 2010, 5:16:38 AM12/24/10
On Dec 24, 9:06 am, "GordonD" <g.da...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> "Nick" <pacif...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

Well brung back! :-)

Must've bin the Nick Platt who sang '#Snake's gotta crawl' - not the
best of lyrics!

Nick

MartinS

Dec 24, 2010, 12:30:24 PM12/24/10
"Anne R" <anner...@cogeco.ca> wrote:

> Didn't Jean Ferguson (Marina of LOTSW) also play the mother of either
> Gary or Judy Mallett some years ago on Corrie?

Jean Fergusson also popped up on "Come Rain Come Shine" with David Jason,
broadcast the other day. She had a cockney accent!

--
Martin S.

MartinS

Dec 24, 2010, 12:35:43 PM12/24/10
"GordonD" <g.d...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> AnneR wrote...
>
>> BTW, we have a Fergusson plot in our church cemetery, and among the
>> interred is A. J. Fergusson Blair, the first president of the Privy
>> Council of Canada. He took the additional surname of Blair to get an
>> inheritance.
>
> A bit like The Plank, who reverted to his original surname of Tilsley
> so he could inherit Ivy's house. (It had been changed to Platt when
> Gail married Martin.)

Martin officially adopted Nicky and Sarah Lou after David was born.

http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Martin_Platt

--
Martin S.