WHOOPI GOLDBERG

James Robert Parish

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

Hi:

WANTED; VHS TAPES of Whoopi Goldberg's TV appearances (i.e,
TV news show interviewee, talk show guest, award program presenter,
actor on TVseries, etc.) over the decades.

Many thanks!

--
Jim Parish
jrpa...@pacificnet.net

Jess Nevins

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

Tammy Stephanie Davis wrote:

> In article <328cb619...@news.pacificnet.net>,
> James Robert Parish <jrpa...@pacificnet.net> wrote:
> :Hi:

> :
> :WANTED; VHS TAPES of Whoopi Goldberg's TV appearances (i.e,
> :TV news show interviewee, talk show guest, award program presenter,
> :actor on TVseries, etc.) over the decades.
> :
> :Many thanks!
>
> Oh yeah. This is the PERFECT newsgroup for Whoopie Goldberg tapes.

Maybe he thought "ST" stood for Star Trek?

jess

Tammy Stephanie Davis

David C. Needham

Nov 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/16/96

In <328D4D...@ix.netcom.com> Jess Nevins <jjne...@ix.netcom.com>
writes:
>Maybe he thought "ST" stood for Star Trek?
>
>jess

Apparently so! How could he underestimate us MSTies?. Whoopie
Goldberg has never said a funny thing in her life, and to suggest that
msties are a good crowd to talk about Whoopie with, well, it makes me
sad. If you agree that she is one of the least funny people ever to
exist on this planet of ours (along with Rosie O'Donnel) then please,
respond. Otherwise, respond if you like.

Stephen Cooke

Nov 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/16/96

Jess Nevins (jjne...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: Tammy Stephanie Davis wrote:
: >
: > In article <328cb619...@news.pacificnet.net>,
: > James Robert Parish <jrpa...@pacificnet.net> wrote:
: > :Hi:
: > :
: > :WANTED; VHS TAPES of Whoopi Goldberg's TV appearances (i.e,
: > :TV news show interviewee, talk show guest, award program presenter,
: > :actor on TVseries, etc.) over the decades.
: > :
: > :Many thanks!
: >
: > Oh yeah. This is the PERFECT newsgroup for Whoopie Goldberg tapes.

: Maybe he thought "ST" stood for Star Trek?

: jess

I have a theory...Perhaps this post was sucked into a time-space
continuum vortex and transported back to our time. It's possible this is
a message from the future, where Best Brains has been forced to start a
spin-off series where they make fun of Whoopi Goldberg films; WGT3000!

"Okay my little pumpernickels...Today's experiment is a torturous piece
of jurassic junk called Theodore Rex...I hope you become as extinct as
the chances of success for this box office offal..."

Of course, Best Brains would have their *own* network by this time...

--
Stephen "Eddie" Cooke
Halifax, NS

What this country needs is plenty of...
____ ____ ______
|_ \ / __| ____ / _____> __________
| \/ | ____|_ _| / / |_ _| |_ ____ |
| | / \\ \ / / | | | | \|
/ /\ / | / ** \\ \/ / | | | |__
/ / \/ | | | **** | > < | | | __|
/ / _| |_ \ ** // /\ \ | | | |
/ / |___| \____// / _\ \_ _| |_ __| |_____
<_/ ___/ / |_____||______||__________/
<____/

Evan Talbott

Nov 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/16/96

David C. Needham wrote:

> In <328D4D...@ix.netcom.com> Jess Nevins <jjne...@ix.netcom.com>
> writes:
> >
> >Tammy Stephanie Davis wrote:
> >>
> >> In article <328cb619...@news.pacificnet.net>,
> >> James Robert Parish <jrpa...@pacificnet.net> wrote:
> >> :Hi:
> >> :
> >> :WANTED; VHS TAPES of Whoopi Goldberg's TV appearances (i.e,
> >> :TV news show interviewee, talk show guest, award program
> presenter,
> >> :actor on TVseries, etc.) over the decades.
> >> :
> >> :Many thanks!
> >>
> >> Oh yeah. This is the PERFECT newsgroup for Whoopie Goldberg tapes.
> >
> >Maybe he thought "ST" stood for Star Trek?
> >
> >jess
>
> Apparently so! How could he underestimate us MSTies?. Whoopie
> Goldberg has never said a funny thing in her life, and to suggest that
> msties are a good crowd to talk about Whoopie with, well, it makes me
> sad. If you agree that she is one of the least funny people ever to
> exist on this planet of ours (along with Rosie O'Donnel) then please,
> respond. Otherwise, respond if you like.

I agree totally, except when Rosie had Elmo on. Muppets rule!

Evan The Wonder Dog
MST# 72138
My web site sucks, but visit just to be nice:
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6964/

Derek Janssen

Nov 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/16/96

Tammy Stephanie Davis wrote:

> In article <328cb619...@news.pacificnet.net>,
> James Robert Parish <jrpa...@pacificnet.net> wrote:
> :Hi:
> :
> :WANTED; VHS TAPES of Whoopi Goldberg's TV appearances (i.e,
> :TV news show interviewee, talk show guest, award program presenter,
> :actor on TVseries, etc.) over the decades.

> Oh yeah. This is the PERFECT newsgroup for Whoopie Goldberg tapes.

Whaddya mean, not the perfect group for it?
We're snotty, we complain about everything, we insult everyone who
doesn't measure up to our own brilliance and social understanding--

--How much more Whoopi can you get?

(Okay, so we're not lesbian and we don't do five Disney comedies a year,
but still...)

Derek Janssen
djan...@ultranet.com

Carrie Dahlby

Nov 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/16/96

In article <56jgf4$o...@dfw-ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>,
scoo...@ix.netcom.com(David C. Needham) wrote:

> Apparently so! How could he underestimate us MSTies?. Whoopie
> Goldberg has never said a funny thing in her life, and to suggest that
> msties are a good crowd to talk about Whoopie with, well, it makes me
> sad. If you agree that she is one of the least funny people ever to
> exist on this planet of ours (along with Rosie O'Donnel) then please,
> respond. Otherwise, respond if you like.

I'll have you know that Whoopi is very talented. I've seen her in many
films, and am always excited when a new film of hers comes to the big
screen.

--
Carrie "NOT!!!!!!!!!" Dahlby, MSTie (goddess) #62537
FCIC #132, OCMOC (no #), TSFC (tba)

*
|\
| \

,8888
88888
`888'

MUSIC MAJORS UNITE!

"That planet should comb its hair over its bald spot." -Crow T. Robot

Derek Janssen

Nov 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/18/96

David C. Needham wrote:

> Apparently so! How could he underestimate us MSTies?. Whoopie
> Goldberg has never said a funny thing in her life, and to suggest that
> msties are a good crowd to talk about Whoopie with, well, it makes me
> sad. If you agree that she is one of the least funny people ever to
> exist on this planet of ours (along with Rosie O'Donnel) then please,
> respond. Otherwise, respond if you like.

What? You mean mouthiness and snotty complaining isn't FUNNY???
You _don't_ just crack up in those movies where she plays goddess-of-
wisdom-to-dumb/insensitive-white-people??

(As far as Ms. O'Donnell, however, I have a group of friends who worship
her talk show, and would have me lynched if I uttered any sacrilege... I
will, though, give her points for being the only cast or crew member of
"The Flinstones" movie to not only have ever seen the series in her
life, but also be a fan...IMHO, that little bit of integrity redeems
everything--)

Derek Janssen
djan...@ultranet.com

Merritt Stone

Nov 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/19/96

Carrie Dahlby <dah...@augsburg.edu> wrote in crayon:

> I'll have you know that Whoopi is very talented. I've seen her in many
> films, and am always excited when a new film of hers comes to the big
> screen.
>
> --
> Carrie "NOT!!!!!!!!!" Dahlby, MSTie (goddess) #62537
> FCIC #132, OCMOC (no #), TSFC (tba)
> OPERA DIVA AND PRIMADONNA TO-BE

Two words: THEODORE REX.
--
Merritt Stone™
The inspiration for Jumpin' Jack Flash

David Rothschild

Nov 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/19/96

Merritt Stone wrote:

> Carrie Dahlby <dah...@augsburg.edu> wrote in crayon:
> >
> > I'll have you know that Whoopi is very talented. I've seen her in many
> > films, and am always excited when a new film of hers comes to the big
> > screen.
> >
> > --
> > Carrie "NOT!!!!!!!!!" Dahlby, MSTie (goddess) #62537
> > FCIC #132, OCMOC (no #), TSFC (tba)
> > OPERA DIVA AND PRIMADONNA TO-BE
>
> Two words: THEODORE REX.
Three words: HOWARD THE DUCK

My point being that Howard the Duck starred Tim Robbins, one of my
absolute favorite actors. The fact that an actor was in a really bad
movie does not make them a bad actor.
(and Whoopi had to be sued to appear in that movie)

Do you consider James Earl Jones("Guess those August Wilson plays don't
pay enough" or something like that was the 'bots comment) a bad actor
because of City Limits

D. Rothschild

Carrie Dahlby

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

In article <32924F...@oberlin.edu>, David Rothschild
<David.Ro...@oberlin.edu> wrote:

> Merritt Stone wrote:
> >
> > Two words: THEODORE REX.
> Three words: HOWARD THE DUCK
>
> My point being that Howard the Duck starred Tim Robbins, one of my
> absolute favorite actors. The fact that an actor was in a really bad
> movie does not make them a bad actor.
> (and Whoopi had to be sued to appear in that movie)

Tim Robbins is a babe!!! Loved him in the SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION. And HOWARD
THE DUCK, come to think of it.

> Do you consider James Earl Jones("Guess those August Wilson plays don't
> pay enough" or something like that was the 'bots comment) a bad actor
> because of City Limits

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't. He was awesome as "Mufasa",
among other things. Just being in a MSTied movie doesn't automatically make
someone a bad actor. Don't forget SPACE TRAVELLERS with Gene Hackman...he's
good in anything!

--
Carrie "No Nickname" Dahlby, MSTie (goddess) #62537
FCIC #132, TSFC (tba), OCMOC (no #)

OPERA DIVA AND PRIMADONNA TO-BE

*
|\
| \

,8888
88888
`888'

MUSIC MAJORS UNITE!

"An actor conveys chilliness." -Mike Nelson, during ZOMBIE NIGHTMARE

Derek Janssen

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

Carrie Dahlby wrote:

>Just being in a MSTied movie doesn't automatically make
> someone a bad actor. Don't forget SPACE TRAVELLERS with Gene Hackman...he's
> good in anything!

Oh, my friend, if only that were true...
But you never did see "The Poseidon Adventure", "Two of a Kind", "Uncommon
Valor", or "Superman IV: the Quest for Peace"--
He _was_ good (except for "Two"), but oh, the obstacles he had to
overcome there...

Derek Janssen
djan...@ultranet.com

Stephen Cooke

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

berlin.edu> <dahlby-19...@141.224.64.35> <3292E9...@ultranet.com>

Derek Janssen (djan...@ultranet.com) wrote:

Funnily enough, I just saw a young Gene in that piece of Pacific poopie
Hawaii, with Richard Harris and Julie Andrews. Just thought you might
want to know.

BTW, if you've never seen Night Moves or The Conversation...rent them
right now!!!

--
Stephen "Steve" Cooke

Derek Janssen

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

Merritt Stone wrote:

> Carrie Dahlby <dah...@augsburg.edu> wrote in crayon:
> >
> > I'll have you know that Whoopi is very talented. I've seen her in many
> > films, and am always excited when a new film of hers comes to the big
> > screen.
>
> Two words: THEODORE REX.

"World premiering" this Thanksgiving week on TNT Network--

(Ted, you've done a lot of things in your day you shouldn't be proud of, but
_this_...)

PS: Two more words, Carrie--THE TELEPHONE. Trust me, you don't wanna
know...

Derek Janssen
djan...@ultranet.com

Merritt Stone

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

[one metric sh!#load of snippage about how Whoopi Goldberg and Tim Robbins (and
Lea Thompson! rrowr! for that matter) and James Earl Jones were all in movies
that sucked]

Sorry, guys. I goofed. Sometimes, I guess brevity is only the soul of sh!#.
Seriously (well, I'll try), I agree that great actors can be in really sucky
movies. With notable exceptions (Stallone, Shatner, etc), most performers
don't have that much creative control over the final product...especially in
movies.

But didn't Whoopi even LOOK at the script for this hound? I mean all I had to
do was look at the box and see Whoopi with a character from the ABC sitcom
_Dinosaurs_ and I took a step to the left and rented Mulholland falls. (Great
flickage, BTW.)

Of course, I also rented Bio-Dome, but that was just because I like Kylie
Minogue, fakey-sounding accent and all. It wasn't worth it. I still have
nightmares. Someone (female) comfort me, pleeeeeeease?

Merritt Stone™
'splainin' himself

Message has been deleted

Derek Janssen

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Merritt Stone wrote:

> But didn't Whoopi even LOOK at the script for this hound? I mean all I had to
> do was look at the box and see Whoopi with a character from the ABC sitcom
> _Dinosaurs_ and I took a step to the left and rented Mulholland falls.

Hey, we knew "TR" was bad, but you didn't have to go to extreme measures!! : 0

> Of course, I also rented Bio-Dome, but that was just because I like Kylie
> Minogue, fakey-sounding accent and all. It wasn't worth it. I still have
> nightmares. Someone (female) comfort me, pleeeeeeease?

(Not female, but...)
At least take heart in the fact that, the week after Bio-Dome opened,
Entertainment Weekly took particular glee in pointing out that it opened at #5 on
the weekly box-office, and "Dunston Checks In" opened at #1...
Which prompted them to poll seven studio officials and ask--If you were offered a
choice between a cute-orangutan project and a Pauly Shore project, which would
_you_ choose?--
--To a man, all seven chose the orangutan... : )

Derek Janssen
djan...@ultranet.com

Jon Hall

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

In article <329436...@ultranet.com> Derek Janssen <djan...@ultranet.com> writes:

>At least take heart in the fact that, the week after Bio-Dome opened,
>Entertainment Weekly took particular glee in pointing out that it opened at #5 on
>the weekly box-office, and "Dunston Checks In" opened at #1...

I guess what bugs me the most is not that another "ape-in-human-clothing"
movie was realeased, and even opened at #1, but that the perfectly good
Anglo-Saxon name "Dunstan" is spelled improperly in the title.

Jon "Come on! I Mean, It's Even the Name of a Saint!" Hall

Brian Dunkle

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Says "Jon".
--
* Brian Dunkle * Comp. Sys. Manager; general computer guy, networks 'n' stuff
* Division of Biomedical Communications, AHSC, Tucson AZ (much too hot)

Merritt Stone

Nov 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/23/96

Derek Janssen <djan...@ultranet.com> wrote in article
<329436...@ultranet.com>...

> Merritt Stone wrote:
> >
> > But didn't Whoopi even LOOK at the script for this hound? I mean all I had
> > do was look at the box and see Whoopi with a character from the ABC sitcom
> > _Dinosaurs_ and I took a step to the left and rented Mulholland falls.
>
> Hey, we knew "TR" was bad, but you didn't have to go to extreme measures!! :
0

> > Of course, I also rented Bio-Dome, but that was just because I like Kylie
> > Minogue, fakey-sounding accent and all. It wasn't worth it. I still have
> > nightmares. Someone (female) comfort me, pleeeeeeease?
>
> (Not female, but...)
> At least take heart in the fact that, the week after Bio-Dome opened,
> Entertainment Weekly took particular glee in pointing out that it opened at
#5 on
> the weekly box-office, and "Dunston Checks In" opened at #1...
> Which prompted them to poll seven studio officials and ask--If you were
offered a
> choice between a cute-orangutan project and a Pauly Shore project, which
would
> _you_ choose?--
> --To a man, all seven chose the orangutan... : )
>
> Derek Janssen
> djan...@ultranet.com

<jim_carrey>

Yes. YES! Are ya feeeelin' it? Huh? HUH?

</jim_carrey>

Allllllrighty then.

</JIM_CARREY, FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE>

That's better. Remind me never to do that again.
--
Merritt Stone™
You all have my deepest apologies.

"I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
--Rowdy Roddy Piper, "They Live"

"I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ass... and I'm all out of ass."
--Crow, Mystery Science Theater 3000

But what on Earth did you find wrong with Mulholland Falls. It had Jennifer
Connelly (although not nearly enough of her), Nick Nolte, John Malkovich, Treat
Williams, and Chazz Palmintieri in roles that they were BORN for. Sure, it was
a bit dark and a tad formulaic, but even though I knew who would turn out to be
the real bad guy(s) in the end, they told the story so well that I was
spellbound. HIT. It would have been a DIRECT HIT, but Jennifer Connelly
didn't have a large enough role.

Comments?

Jon Hall

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

<djan...@ultranet.com> writes:
>>>At least take heart in the fact that, the week after Bio-Dome opened,
>>>Entertainment Weekly took particular glee in pointing out that it
>>>opened at #5 on
>>>the weekly box-office, and "Dunston Checks In" opened at #1...
>>I guess what bugs me the most is not that another "ape-in-human-clothing"
>>movie was realeased, and even opened at #1, but that the perfectly good
>>Anglo-Saxon name "Dunstan" is spelled improperly in the title.
>>Jon "Come on! I Mean, It's Even the Name of a Saint!" Hall
> Says "Jon".

Well, yeah, "Jon" is a lesser-used spelling, but it's as historically
legitimate as "John." "Jon" is usually a short form of Jonathon (although in
my case it's not). "John" and "Jon" are also very, very
rough transliterations of a foreign name originally written in a non-Roman
alphabet, so the spelling is not fixed in any case (also acceptable are
Sean, Shaun, Shawn, Shane, Ian, Jan, Johan, Hans, Ivan, Evan, Ewan, Ewain,
Juan, Giovanni, Jean, etc., in which cases pronunciation will also vary).
Dunstan, however, is an English name with a specific meaning, which changes
completely when the spelling is changed to "Dunston" (from "hill (of) stone"
to "hill town"). It's a completely different word.

Jon, who just gave you a little taste of what it's like to be his student. Be
ascairt.

Brian Dunkle

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

Cool, I say we start calling you "Ivan".

Carrie Dahlby

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

In article <57fems$1k...@news.ccit.arizona.edu>, bdu...@biocom.arizona.edu
(Brian Dunkle) wrote:

> In article <hall.1005...@art.unt.edu>, Jon Hall <ha...@art.unt.edu> wrote:
> >In article <572iqa$h...@news.ccit.arizona.edu> bdu...@biocom.arizona.edu (Brian Dunkle) writes:
>
> >> Says "Jon".
> >
> >Well, yeah, "Jon" is a lesser-used spelling, but it's as historically
> >legitimate as "John." "Jon" is usually a short form of Jonathon (although in
> >my case it's not). "John" and "Jon" are also very, very
> >rough transliterations of a foreign name originally written in a non-Roman
> >alphabet, so the spelling is not fixed in any case (also acceptable are
> >Sean, Shaun, Shawn, Shane, Ian, Jan, Johan, Hans, Ivan, Evan, Ewan, Ewain,
> >Juan, Giovanni, Jean, etc., in which cases pronunciation will also vary).
> >Dunstan, however, is an English name with a specific meaning, which changes
> >completely when the spelling is changed to "Dunston" (from "hill (of) stone"
> >to "hill town"). It's a completely different word.
> >
> >Jon, who just gave you a little taste of what it's like to be his student. Be
> >ascairt.
>
> Cool, I say we start calling you "Ivan".

My vote goes for "Giovanni".

--
Carrie "Mmmm, Italian" Dahlby, MSTie (goddess) #62537

FCIC #132, TSFC (tba), OCMOC (no #)
OPERA DIVA AND PRIMADONNA TO-BE

*
|\
| \

,8888
88888
`888'

MUSIC MAJORS UNITE

"An actor conveys chilliness." -Mike Nelson, during ZOMBIE NIGHTMARE

Chris Mehring

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

Sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of Merritt Stone

Somebody, I'm not sure who, wrote:

> > > But didn't Whoopi even LOOK at the script for this hound? I mean all
I had
> > > do was look at the box and see Whoopi with a character from the ABC
sitcom
> > > _Dinosaurs_ and I took a step to the left and rented Mulholland
falls.

> > Hey, we knew "TR" was bad but you didn't have to go to extreme
measures!! :

> But what on Earth did you find wrong with Mulholland Falls. It had

Jennifer
> Connelly (although not nearly enough of her), Nick Nolte, John Malkovich,
Treat
> Williams, and Chazz Palmintieri in roles that they were BORN for. Sure,
it was
> a bit dark and a tad formulaic, but even though I knew who would turn out
to be
> the real bad guy(s) in the end, they told the story so well that I was
> spellbound. HIT. It would have been a DIRECT HIT, but Jennifer Connelly
> didn't have a large enough role.
>
> Comments?

Um, if I may just pull one line (completely out of context and possibly
inaccurate, of course) to show why it wasn't a HIT:

Nolte: The only way you'll be safe is if I can't find you. And I already
found you.

HUH???

Chris Mehring
<cmeh...@staff.uwsuper.edu>

--
Lewis: That was nice. Who was it?
Morse: *That* was Maria Callas

Merritt Stone

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

Chris Mehring <cmeh...@staff.uwsuper.edu> wrote in article
<01bbdc81$ef1d7e40$270b...@Hack.uwsuper.edu>...

> Sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of Merritt Stone
>
> Um, if I may just pull one line (completely out of context and possibly
> inaccurate, of course) to show why it wasn't a HIT:
>
> Nolte: The only way you'll be safe is if I can't find you. And I already
> found you.
>
> HUH???
>
> Chris Mehring
> <cmeh...@staff.uwsuper.edu>
>
> --
> Lewis: That was nice. Who was it?
> Morse: *That* was Maria Callas
> Lewis: Was that from _Cats_?
> Morse: No! It was most certainly *not*!

What he was saying, Chris, was that the guy wasn't safe! It's a film noir
thing.

<Craig Kilborn>

C'mon, Chris! You're better than that!

</Craig Kilborn>

Seriously, in film noir, sometimes characters say lines that are unclear on
purpose, because they know that the recipient of the lines (either another
character or the audience) will understand their tone. So my opinion stands:
HIT, but not DIRECT HIT due to insufficient Jennifer Connelly.

--
Merritt Stone™
RATMM's Resident Dirty Old Man

"You never pushed a noun next to a verb except to blow something up."
Henry Drummond to E. K. Hornbeck, "Inherit the Wind"

Cody Stevens

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

In article <01bbde9e$ed22cae0$3256bccc@Howitzer>, "Merritt Stone"
<howi...@pixi.com> wrote:

> Seriously, in film noir, sometimes characters say lines that are unclear on
> purpose, because they know that the recipient of the lines (either another
> character or the audience) will understand their tone. So my opinion stands:
> HIT, but not DIRECT HIT due to insufficient Jennifer Connelly.

jennifer connelly = the only reason to watch the rocketeer, seven minutes
in heaven, that movie where she was shoplifting in target, and some others
i can't remember right now. i would say labrynth and mullholland falls
but lab had david bowie as another reason and falls had john malkovitch
too.

--
Tick: "You ask me to be your sidekick, you invite me to your apartment...say...you're not...you know...*FUNNY*...are you?"
Arthur: "funny? What do you mean? I...OH! NO, no...no, I'm not...*FUNNY*..."

-from The Tick

David Anderson

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

Fairly reliable sources inform me that Cody Stevens wrote:

>Merritt Stone <howi...@pixi.com> wrote:
>>Seriously, in film noir, sometimes characters say lines that are unclear on
>>purpose, because they know that the recipient of the lines (either another
>>character or the audience) will understand their tone. So my opinion stands:
>>HIT, but not DIRECT HIT due to insufficient Jennifer Connelly.
>
>jennifer connelly = the only reason to watch the rocketeer,

Personally, I liked THE ROCKETEER...I felt that, like the 1980 FLASH GORDON,
it was quite faithful to the sprit of the source material. And while Jennifer
Connelly ain't exactly Bettie Page's head on Brinke Stevens' body, she's
worthy of quite the few "hubba-hubbas" in her own right, I grant you.

>seven minutes in heaven,

I'd give SEVEN MINUTES IN HEAVEN a couple of watchability points for Maddie
Corman, too.

>that movie where she was shoplifting in target,

CARRER OPPORTUNITIES...but Jennifer Connelly's mere presence couldn't save this
one. I submit to you that there is one and ONLY one reason to watch this movie:
Jennifer Connelly riding the hobby horse.

>and some others i can't remember right now.

There's SOME GIRLS, where she played opposite Patrick Dempsey (who -- call me a
kook if you must -- I also like); and of course THE HOT SPOT, with Don Johnson
and Virginia Madsen, where (director) Dennis Hopper somehow talked her into a
topless scene (for which I'd like to shake his hand ;)).

--
========*Opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. Deal with it.*========
* David Anderson * lan...@cybercom.net * http://www.cybercom.net/~lando5 *

Cody Stevens

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

In article <32a11d95...@snews2.zippo.com>, lan...@cybercom.net
(David Anderson) wrote:

> Fairly reliable sources inform me that Cody Stevens wrote:
>

> >jennifer connelly = the only reason to watch the
>

> >that movie where she was shoplifting in target,
>
> CARRER OPPORTUNITIES...but Jennifer Connelly's mere presence couldn't
save this
> one. I submit to you that there is one and ONLY one reason to watch this
movie:
> Jennifer Connelly riding the hobby horse.

i'll never forget that scene as long as i live.

> >and some others i can't remember right now.
>
> There's SOME GIRLS, where she played opposite Patrick Dempsey (who --
call me a
> kook if you must -- I also like); and of course THE HOT SPOT, with Don
Johnson
> and Virginia Madsen, where (director) Dennis Hopper somehow talked her into a
> topless scene (for which I'd like to shake his hand ;)).

i *must* see that movie. when i have i feel that i will have truly lived
a full life and can die happy.

cody "who needs a social life?" stevens

Chris Mehring

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

Sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of Merritt Stone

> Chris Mehring <cmeh...@staff.uwsuper.edu> wrote in article

> > Um, if I may just pull one line (completely out of context and possibly

> > inaccurate, of course) to show why it wasn't a HIT:
> >
> > Nolte: The only way you'll be safe is if I can't find you. And I
already
> > found you.
> >
> > HUH???

> What he was saying, Chris, was that the guy wasn't safe! It's a film

noir
> thing.
>
> <Craig Kilborn>
>
> C'mon, Chris! You're better than that!
>
> </Craig Kilborn>

Owie! Stop with the Craig Kilborn.

I forgot the sarcasm sequencer. I apologize.

I do know film noir._Out of the Past_ starring Robert Mitchum is my
favorite example of it.

The only thing that recommends its remake _Against All Odds_ is, of course,
massive doses of
Rachel Ward.

And I don't want to come off sounding like all movies made in the 40s and
50s are far superior to anything coming out now. (And by saying this, I do
mean to... 8) ) However, ***OPINION*** modern film noir *is* inferior to
the classics of the 40s and 50s. _Double Indemnity_, The Big Sleep_, _I
Accuse My Parents_, _Racket Girls_.....okay, well maybe not all film noir
from that era. But I will watch most of that genre from that era before
even thinking about most of the stuff from today.

> Seriously, in film noir, sometimes characters say lines that are unclear
on
> purpose, because they know that the recipient of the lines (either
another
> character or the audience) will understand their tone. So my opinion
stands:
> HIT, but not DIRECT HIT due to insufficient Jennifer Connelly.

And I will agree with you on that last point. Far too little of Jennifer
Connely.

Thank you for participating in tonight's debate "Resolved! Not enough
Jennifer Connelly can take 2 ** off a movies rating"

Soundwave [Chad Gould]

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

Chris Mehring (cmeh...@staff.uwsuper.edu) wrote:
: And I don't want to come off sounding like all movies made in the 40s and

: 50s are far superior to anything coming out now. (And by saying this, I do
: mean to... 8) ) However, ***OPINION*** modern film noir *is* inferior to
: the classics of the 40s and 50s. _Double Indemnity_, The Big Sleep_, _I
: Accuse My Parents_, _Racket Girls_.....okay, well maybe not all film noir
: from that era. But I will watch most of that genre from that era before
: even thinking about most of the stuff from today.

_I Accuse My Parents_ is film noir? Er... ok. (:

I will agree, actually, that in film noir, yesterday's movies are better
than today's. Doesn't have to even be a high-budget movie from the past
(Double Indemnity is my favorite noir, but Detour is my second
favorite... can't believe the same guy who did that later did the
MSTed-film _Amazing Transparent Man_, personally)... today's noirs just
don't have the same style...

--
Chad Gould aka Soundwave |-X5/D50/DX27S/Juno106/TX16W/BE5-|
internet: cgo...@gate.net |-M1000/Dr550mkII/SE70/MS1402VLZ-|