_The Rising_ by Kelley Armstrong

Lynn McGuire

Apr 23, 2014, 4:14:40 PM4/23/14
_The Rising_ by Kelley Armstrong
http://www.amazon.com/The-Rising-Darkness-Kelley-Armstrong/dp/006179709X/

Book number three of the Darkness Rising trilogy.
Also about book number 20 or 21 of the excellent
Otherworld series.

Very, very good young adult book. Finishes up
the Darkness Rising trilogy and the Darkest Powers
trilogy. The ending is a little simplistic but
effective (another person called it anti-climatic,
I cannot disagree).

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars (169 reviews)

Lynn

Ahasuerus

Apr 24, 2014, 12:37:02 PM4/24/14
On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:14:40 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> _The Rising_ by Kelley Armstrong
> http://www.amazon.com/The-Rising-Darkness-Kelley-Armstrong/dp/006179709X/
>
> Book number three of the Darkness Rising trilogy.
> Also about book number 20 or 21 of the excellent
> Otherworld series.
>
> Very, very good young adult book. [snip]

Boy, you are truly lucky to have so many SF books that you enjoy! It's
almost like you are going through your personal Golden Age of SF :)

Lynn McGuire

Apr 24, 2014, 1:11:19 PM4/24/14
Yes, I am. Of course, I have a high exclusion
rate and try to stay away from the turkeys. I
usually stick to my favorite authors, space opera
or urban fantasy memes, or recommended books by
others. For instance, Kelley Armstrong is moving
into the pure fantasy realm and I am going to
pass on those books.
http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Shadows-Legends-Kelley-Armstrong/dp/0062071246/

Also, I do believe that we are going through a
resurgence of SF. My SBR is almost at 400 books
and half of those books have been published in
the last two years. But the number of readers is
apparently dropping for everything but UF. Or
maybe it is paranormal romance.

I do know that I rate high, maybe by as much as
a star. But, that is OK by me. Of course,
there is an xkcd for that:
http://xkcd.com/1098/

Lynn

Ahasuerus

Apr 24, 2014, 1:40:15 PM4/24/14
On Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:11:19 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 4/24/2014 11:37 AM, Ahasuerus wrote:
> > On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:14:40 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >> _The Rising_ by Kelley Armstrong
> >> http://www.amazon.com/The-Rising-Darkness-Kelley-Armstrong/dp/006179709X/
> >>
> >> Book number three of the Darkness Rising trilogy.
> >> Also about book number 20 or 21 of the excellent
> >> Otherworld series.
> >>
> >> Very, very good young adult book. [snip]
> >
> > Boy, you are truly lucky to have so many SF books that you enjoy!
> > It's almost like you are going through your personal Golden Age of
> > SF :)
>
> Yes, I am. Of course, I have a high exclusion
> rate and try to stay away from the turkeys. I
> usually stick to my favorite authors, space opera
> or urban fantasy memes, or recommended books by
> others. For instance, Kelley Armstrong is moving
> into the pure fantasy realm and I am going to
> pass on those books.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Shadows-Legends-Kelley-Armstrong/dp/0062071246/

Yes, I do recall that you are not a huge fan of prancing unicorns :)

> Also, I do believe that we are going through a
> resurgence of SF. [snip]

Or at least the type of SF that you like. I suspect you wouldn't have
been thrilled with, e.g., the New Wave stuff :)

Lynn McGuire

Apr 24, 2014, 1:58:43 PM4/24/14
What is the "New Wave" stuff?

I have had _American Gods_ on my desk at work
to read for over a year now (a gift from an
employee). For some reason it just has not
shouted out to me.

Thanks,
Lynn

Ahasuerus

Apr 24, 2014, 2:30:30 PM4/24/14
On Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:58:43 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 4/24/2014 12:40 PM, Ahasuerus wrote:
> >>
> >> Also, I do believe that we are going through a
> >> resurgence of SF. [snip]
> >
> > Or at least the type of SF that you like. I suspect you wouldn't have
> > been thrilled with, e.g., the New Wave stuff :)
>
> What is the "New Wave" stuff?

There is a brief history at http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/new_wave

It's not a bad overview, although I'd start NW's history a few years
earlier. Where Peter Nicholls writes "Traditional Genre SF had reached a
crisis point in both the UK and the USA by the middle 1960s", I'd change
"middle" to "early", right after the great magazine collapse ca. 1959-
1960. I would also point out that you could find credibly proto-New Wave
works in the late 1950s, e.g. Aldiss's 1958 "Poor Little Warrior!"
(http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?56882)

Brian M. Scott

Apr 24, 2014, 5:52:38 PM4/24/14
On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 12:11:19 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<l...@winsim.com> wrote in <news:ljbgjp$82f$1...@dont-email.me>
in rec.arts.sf.written:

> On 4/24/2014 11:37 AM, Ahasuerus wrote:

>> On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:14:40 PM UTC-4, Lynn
>> McGuire wrote:

>>> _The Rising_ by Kelley Armstrong
>>> http://www.amazon.com/The-Rising-Darkness-Kelley-Armstrong/dp/006179709X/

>>> Book number three of the Darkness Rising trilogy.
>>> Also about book number 20 or 21 of the excellent
>>> Otherworld series.

>>> Very, very good young adult book. [snip]

>> Boy, you are truly lucky to have so many SF books that
>> you enjoy! It's almost like you are going through your
>> personal Golden Age of SF :)

> Yes, I am. Of course, I have a high exclusion rate and
> try to stay away from the turkeys. I usually stick to my
> favorite authors, space opera or urban fantasy memes, or
> recommended books by others. For instance, Kelley
> Armstrong is moving into the pure fantasy realm and I am
> going to pass on those books.
> http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Shadows-Legends-Kelley-Armstrong/dp/0062071246/

I’ll have to take a look. Her Otherworld series, while
competent enough, never grabbed me, and I gave up on it
after reading two or three books, but her non-fantasy Nadia
Stafford trilogy was most enjoyable. (On the other hand,
the blurb ‘perfect for fans of _Graceling_ and _Game of
Thrones_’ makes no sense at all.)

[...]

Brian
--
It was the neap tide, when the baga venture out of their
holes to root for sandtatties. The waves whispered

Brian M. Scott

Apr 24, 2014, 6:16:26 PM4/24/14
On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 10:40:15 -0700 (PDT), Ahasuerus
<ahas...@email.com> wrote in
in rec.arts.sf.written:

> On Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:11:19 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire
> wrote:

[...]

>> Also, I do believe that we are going through a
>> resurgence of SF. [snip]

> Or at least the type of SF that you like. I suspect you
> wouldn't have been thrilled with, e.g., the New Wave
> stuff :)

Certainly not with a lot of it! But it covered an awful lot
of ground. Brunner’s _Stand on Zanzibar_, _The Jagged
Orbit_, _The Sheep Look Up_, and even the later and much
more optimistic _The Shockwave Rider_ surely qualify, and I
liked them -- the last is on my all-time shortlist -- while
on the other hand I considered Disch, Sladek, Malzberg, and
Bunch for the most part a waste of space in the magazines.

Lynn McGuire

Apr 24, 2014, 6:58:28 PM4/24/14
I liked the Nadia Stafford trilogy also:
http://www.amazon.com/Made-Be-Broken-Nadia-Stafford/dp/0553588389/

Kinda reminded me of an old Executioner novel
except the shooter is a woman.
http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Targets-Executioner-Don-Pendleton/dp/0373644213/

Lynn

Ahasuerus

Apr 24, 2014, 9:30:10 PM4/24/14
On Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:16:26 PM UTC-4, Brian M. Scott wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 10:40:15 -0700 (PDT), Ahasuerus
> <ahas...@email.com> wrote in
> in rec.arts.sf.written:
>
> > On Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:11:19 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire
> > wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> Also, I do believe that we are going through a
> >> resurgence of SF. [snip]
> >
> > Or at least the type of SF that you like. I suspect you
> > wouldn't have been thrilled with, e.g., the New Wave
> > stuff :)
>
> Certainly not with a lot of it! But it covered an awful lot
> of ground. [snip]

Yes, very much so. Pretty much anyone doing anything vaguely
experimental or just "not the way things used to be", be it writing
techniques, sex, politics, "attitude", etc, was probably classified
as part of the "New Wave" at one point or another. It wasn't until
(much) later that it became clear that Zelazny, Bunch and Silverberg
were moving in very different directions.

Lynn McGuire

Apr 25, 2014, 2:04:34 AM4/25/14
Definitely not my cup of tea.

Thanks,
Lynn

Scott Lurndal

Apr 25, 2014, 10:23:59 AM4/25/14
#421 in the series? I gave up at 100, and that was
30 years ago. Formulaic, to be sure.

Lynn McGuire

Apr 25, 2014, 1:09:43 PM4/25/14
What is weird is that my local grocery store
has three of the Executioner novels on their
display rack. Weird.

Lynn

William December Starr

Apr 25, 2014, 6:57:59 PM4/25/14
In article <f112094d-0486-4e4e...@googlegroups.com>,
Ahasuerus <ahas...@email.com> said:

> Yes, I do recall that you are not a huge fan of prancing unicorns :)

Tap-dancing unicorns, on the other hand...

-- wds

William December Starr

Apr 25, 2014, 6:59:11 PM4/25/14
In article <ljbjcl$rnv$1...@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <l...@winsim.com> said:

> What is the "New Wave" stuff?

More than 90% crap.

(Then again, so was the old wave, I think.)

-- wds

Lynn McGuire

Apr 25, 2014, 7:01:45 PM4/25/14

John F. Eldredge

Apr 26, 2014, 10:50:14 PM4/26/14
On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 10:40:15 -0700, Ahasuerus wrote:

> Yes, I do recall that you are not a huge fan of prancing unicorns :)

"Equoid", by Charles Stross, has a definitely non-twee version of
unicorns. This is part of the "Laundry" series, about a British counter-
intelligence agency that specializes in supernatural threats.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 27, 2014, 12:13:04 PM4/27/14
Specifically, supernatural threats which are best described by the
works of H.P. Lovecraft. So yeah, any "unicorn" that pops up in the
Laundryverse isn't gonna be very cute at all... or its cuteness will
merely be a lure for whatever the mind-destroying thing behind the cute
wants to do to you. Sort of like Hello Kitty.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

David DeLaney

Apr 27, 2014, 10:44:21 PM4/27/14
On 2014-04-27, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
> On 4/26/14 10:50 PM, John F. Eldredge wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 10:40:15 -0700, Ahasuerus wrote:
>>> Yes, I do recall that you are not a huge fan of prancing unicorns :)
>>
>> "Equoid", by Charles Stross, has a definitely non-twee version of
>> unicorns. This is part of the "Laundry" series, about a British counter-
>> intelligence agency that specializes in supernatural threats.
>
> Specifically, supernatural threats which are best described by the
> works of H.P. Lovecraft. So yeah, any "unicorn" that pops up in the
> Laundryverse isn't gonna be very cute at all... or its cuteness will
> merely be a lure for whatever the mind-destroying thing behind the cute
> wants to do to you. Sort of like Hello Kitty.

Ah, I see you've _read_ Equoid!

Dave, sighted Portal in MMPB, bought same. Reading. Current Joe Buckley status:
alive

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 28, 2014, 7:12:02 AM4/28/14
On 4/27/14 10:44 PM, David DeLaney wrote:
> On 2014-04-27, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Equoid", by Charles Stross, has a definitely non-twee version of
>>> unicorns. This is part of the "Laundry" series, about a British counter-
>>> intelligence agency that specializes in supernatural threats.
>>
>> Specifically, supernatural threats which are best described by the
>> works of H.P. Lovecraft. So yeah, any "unicorn" that pops up in the
>> Laundryverse isn't gonna be very cute at all... or its cuteness will
>> merely be a lure for whatever the mind-destroying thing behind the cute
>> wants to do to you. Sort of like Hello Kitty.
>
> Ah, I see you've _read_ Equoid!

Not that story specifically, but I've read two Laundry stories and
that's more than enough to understand how these things will go.

> Dave, sighted Portal in MMPB, bought same. Reading. Current Joe Buckley status:
> alive

Yep, Portal came out in MMPB just recently. Spheres should be coming
out in MMPB later this year.