YASID "Stomach Cement"

Nyrath

Nov 27, 2015, 5:52:14 PM11/27/15
I read this novel about 20 years ago.

It was set in a near-future space exploration background.

Two people had been launched into Low Earth Orbit in a spaceship in a routine cargo mission. One of the two was a novice who had not experienced microgravity before.

The novice gets vertigo, and vomits. The other grabs the novice, forces the novice into contact with the hull, and talks them down. The other makes a point of saying "you must keep your eyes open" because otherwise the lack of reference points will just make the vertigo worse.

The novice finally says their stomach is a little better, but do they have to keep staring straight ahead? It seems that the main object in view is the nasty blob of floating vomit, and the sight is not helping.

The other disposes of the vomit, then gives the novice an anti-nausea pill. The other explains that the novice should view the pill as "stomach cement". What it does is numb the sensory nerves in the stomach, to help prevent the vomiting instinct.

Does this sound familiar?

Moriarty

Nov 27, 2015, 8:26:58 PM11/27/15
No, but the premise of "stomach cement" is silly. It's the inner ear, in conjunction with whatever bit of the brain that associates lack of balance with being poisoned, that causes vomiting in zero-g. It's nothing to do with stomach nerves at all.

-Moriarty

-dsr-

Nov 29, 2015, 7:08:08 PM11/29/15
On 2015-11-28, Moriarty <blu...@ivillage.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 9:52:14 AM UTC+11, Nyrath wrote:
>> I read this novel about 20 years ago.
>> The other disposes of the vomit, then gives the novice an anti-nausea pill. The other explains that the novice should view the pill as "stomach cement". What it does is numb the sensory nerves in the stomach, to help prevent the vomiting instinct.
>>
>> Does this sound familiar?
>
> No, but the premise of "stomach cement" is silly. It's the inner ear, in conjunction with whatever bit of the brain that associates lack of balance with being poisoned, that causes vomiting in zero-g. It's nothing to do with stomach nerves at all.

Also, we already have that.

Meclizine HCl, available over the counter in the US in small doses and
by prescription in larger doses. The brand name is "Bonine". Works wonders
for me for sea and air travel.

-dsr-