‘Based On Nonsense’

The Starmaker

Nov 20, 2015, 1:49:02 PM11/20/15

The Starmaker

Nov 20, 2015, 2:00:24 PM11/20/15
The Starmaker wrote:

> http://www.climatedepot.com/2015/11/19/scientists-declare-un-climate-summit-goals-irrational-based-on-nonsense-leading-us-down-a-false-path/

non·sense
'nän?sens,'näns?ns/
noun
noun: nonsense

1.
spoken or written words that have no meaning or make no sense.

How about some examples of "Nonsense" from yous in the 'scientific community'...

1) Earth-size planet

So that means if they find a planet that it's radius is 7,918 miles then it's Earth-size, correct or Nonsense?

patmp...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2015, 11:42:22 PM11/20/15
I feel like writing something sarcastic. But why bother?

The Starmaker

Nov 21, 2015, 8:10:43 PM11/21/15
Because ...you feel like writing something sarcastic.

You should follow your heart.

The Starmaker

Nov 21, 2015, 8:16:04 PM11/21/15
Maybe this question was too complicated...I'll rephrase it,

How many Earth-size planets are in our solar system?

benj

Nov 22, 2015, 12:57:16 AM11/22/15
How many suns in OUR Galaxy? How many galaxies in the universe (that we
see)? People blindly accept probability waves in nothing at all as QM
truth, yet when one points out the OVERWHELMING probably that alien life
forms exist elsewhere in the universe, science laughs and calls the idea
"kook". Let me ask YOU. Who is the Kook? Who is being superstitious and
ignorant?

--

___ ___ ___ ___
/\ \ /\ \ /\__\ /\ \

The Starmaker

Nov 22, 2015, 2:11:00 AM11/22/15
benj wrote:

> On 11/21/2015 08:16 PM, The Starmaker wrote:
> > The Starmaker wrote:

> >> non·sense
> >> 'nän?sens,'näns?ns/
> >> noun
> >> noun: nonsense
> >>
> >> 1.
> >> spoken or written words that have no meaning or make no sense.
> >>
> >> How about some examples of "Nonsense" from yous in the 'scientific community'...
> >>
> >> 1) Earth-size planet
> >>
> >> So that means if they find a planet that it's radius is 7,918 miles then it's Earth-size, correct or Nonsense?
> >

> > Maybe this question was too complicated...I'll rephrase it,
> >

> > How many Earth-size planets are in our solar system?
>
> How many suns in OUR Galaxy? How many galaxies in the universe (that we
> see)? People blindly accept probability waves in nothing at all as QM
> truth, yet when one points out the OVERWHELMING probably that alien life
> forms exist elsewhere in the universe, science laughs and calls the idea
> "kook". Let me ask YOU. Who is the Kook? Who is being superstitious and
> ignorant?

Okay, I'll rephrase the question: How many known planets in our solar
system are Earth-size planets?

Sjouke Burry

Nov 22, 2015, 4:32:54 PM11/22/15
2. venus and earth.

The Starmaker

Nov 22, 2015, 5:17:53 PM11/22/15
I mean, I just don't understand where some people come from...

In skool, they teach you the earth radius is 3,959 mi.

You know what you shoe size is, ...

Why is it all of a sudden everyone doesn't know what the size of the earth is???

The Earth-size is 3,959 mi.

Venus-size is 3,760 mi

It's a smaller size shoe.

Somebody mentioned Mars is Earth-size, 2,106 mi

The Earth-size is 3,959 mi.

If you ask kids in school today "What is the size of the earth?" Has the answered changed????

I don't get it.

The Starmaker

Nov 23, 2015, 12:37:27 AM11/23/15
Okay, I'll make it simple...only a smart person can answer this question correctly..

The Earth-size is 3,959 mi radius.

if I mutiply that number by 2,

2 x 3,959 mi radius = 7,918 mi radius

The question now is: Is 7,918 mi radius Earth-size? Yes or No??

Tom Roberts

Nov 23, 2015, 12:02:44 PM11/23/15
On 11/21/15 11/21/15 - 11:57 PM, benj wrote:
> How many suns in OUR Galaxy? How many galaxies in the universe (that we see)?
> People blindly accept probability waves in nothing at all as QM truth, yet when
> one points out the OVERWHELMING probably that alien life forms exist elsewhere
> in the universe, science laughs and calls the idea "kook".

Your appreciation of "science" is QUITE DIFFERENT from mine. I suspect you
confuse science with the opinions of scientists. But there, too, we differ
enormously. At present, we have no knowledge of the existence of alien life. I
believe that the consensus among physicists who have thought about this is that
the existence of alien life is not only possible, but reasonably probable (but
none of us quantify that).

However, speculating about what alien life forms might look like is definitely
"kook". Or the stuff of movie fantasies....

Tom Roberts

The Starmaker

Nov 23, 2015, 2:38:07 PM11/23/15
Gary Harnagel wrote:

> On Monday, November 23, 2015 at 10:02:43 AM UTC-7, tjrob137 wrote:
> >
> > I believe that the consensus among physicists who have thought about
> > this is that the existence of alien life is not only possible, but
> > reasonably probable (but none of us quantify that).
>
> Fred Hoyle DID present his quantification:
>
> "Life cannot have had a random beginning ... The trouble is that there are
> about two thousand enzymes, and the chance of obtaining them all in a
> random trial is only one part in 1040,000, an outrageously small
> probability that could not be faced even if the whole universe consisted
> of organic soup." - Fred Hoyle
>
> I think that he was just a bit pessimistic, and so does everyone at SETI
> or they wouldn't be there :-) Frank Drake tried it a different way and
> came up with a few civilizations at our stage of development in our
> galaxy right now. Maybe we'll get a better read on the probability by
> studying Tabby's star ...

Frank Drake calculations is WRONG. It is based on Mars having life on it's surface, and it does not...so that means
you need to throw Frank Drake's calculations into the garbage where it belongs.

Kevrob

Nov 23, 2015, 6:16:06 PM11/23/15
On Monday, November 23, 2015 at 2:38:07 PM UTC-5, The Starmaker wrote:
> Gary Harnagel wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, November 23, 2015 at 10:02:43 AM UTC-7, tjrob137 wrote:
> > >
> > > I believe that the consensus among physicists who have thought about
> > > this is that the existence of alien life is not only possible, but
> > > reasonably probable (but none of us quantify that).
> >
> > Fred Hoyle DID present his quantification:
> >
> > "Life cannot have had a random beginning ... The trouble is that there are
> > about two thousand enzymes, and the chance of obtaining them all in a
> > random trial is only one part in 1040,000, an outrageously small
> > probability that could not be faced even if the whole universe consisted
> > of organic soup." - Fred Hoyle
> >
> > I think that he was just a bit pessimistic, and so does everyone at SETI
> > or they wouldn't be there :-) Frank Drake tried it a different way and
> > came up with a few civilizations at our stage of development in our
> > galaxy right now. Maybe we'll get a better read on the probability by
> > studying Tabby's star ...

What was ol' Fred using as his control universe, again? :)

> Frank Drake calculations is WRONG. It is based on Mars having life on it's surface, and it does not...so that means
> you need to throw Frank Drake's calculations into the garbage where it belongs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

If all obvious-to-the-Mark I-eyeball surface life were wiped out ON EARTH,
quite a few of the extremophiles species would keep keepin' on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremophile

There's no way to _yet_ know if the universe harbors any (other form
of) intelligent life*, except by doing what scientists do: observe.
The data is paltry and the time needed to gather a sufficient amount
is ....astronomical.

Kevin R

*Yes. It's an old joke.

Jeff-Relf.Me

Nov 23, 2015, 7:35:55 PM11/23/15

Most scientists think "Life" requires liquid water.
Ben_Jacoby (benj), on the other hand,
thinks something like "Star Wars" could be true.

Darwin showed how we're related to monkeys;
fearing it might justify murder and such, many reject it.

Truth is:

  We're robots, programmed to get food, water, air, etc.

  Like the sun, stars and everything else...
  we consume "exergy" (energy that can do work);
  i.e. we ratchet entropy.

  "Randomness" is ignorance, nothing more.

The Starmaker

Nov 25, 2015, 1:07:34 AM11/25/15
Saul Levy, a poster from the astronomy newsgroup got the answer wrong.

I have to repeat the question:

The Earth-size is 3,959 mi radius.

if I mutiply that number by 2,

2 x 3,959 mi radius = 7,918 mi "radius"

The question now is: Is 7,918 mi radius Earth-size? Yes or No??

Now for Saul Levy, here is the definition of radius:

ra·di·us
'rade?s/
noun
noun: radius; plural noun: radii; plural noun: radiuses

1.
a straight line from the center to the circumference of a circle or sphere.

The distance from the center to the edge of a circle. It is half of the circle's diameter.

I have to repeat the question:

The Earth-size is 3,959 mi radius.

if I mutiply that number (the earth radius) by 2,

2 x 3,959 mi radius = 7,918 mi "radius"

The question now is: Is 7,918 mi radius Earth-size? Yes or No??

Or in other words, a planet with a radius of 7,918 mi, is it Earth-size? Yes or No??

Is this question too tough for yous?

Saul Levy wrote:

> YOU AIN'T SMART, FAKER!
>
> EARTH'S DIAMETER IS 7918 MILES, NOT THE RADIUS, SHITFORBRAINS!
>
> YOU SURE FUCKED THAT ONE UP, LIKE THE FAKER YOU ARE!
>
> Saul Levy

Robert Carnegie

Nov 25, 2015, 6:14:53 AM11/25/15
<https://what-if.xkcd.com/67/> is a light-hearted article
about the physical consequences of the Earth being larger,
or, rather, suddenly deciding to grow gradually larger.

Despite some wholehearted claims on the subject by some,
I do not think this is actually happening.

In summary: a relatively small change makes relatively
little difference.

William December Starr

Nov 26, 2015, 8:26:41 AM11/26/15
In article <XOc4y.155775$sK.9...@fx14.iad>,
benj <no...@gmail.com> said:

> How many suns in OUR Galaxy? How many galaxies in the universe
> (that we see)? People blindly accept probability waves in nothing
> at all as QM truth, yet when one points out the OVERWHELMING
> probably that alien life forms exist elsewhere in the universe,
> science laughs and calls the idea "kook".

No it doesn't. You're either mistaken or lying.
(And I know which way I'd bet.)

-- wds

Robert Carnegie

Nov 27, 2015, 7:12:23 AM11/27/15
It's unproven. Alien life elsewhere in the universe, I mean.

When people claim there is alien life /here/ - flying saucer
men and so forth - I call kook.

Hägar

Nov 27, 2015, 2:14:24 PM11/27/15

"Jeff-Relf.Me" wrote in message
*** Actually, it is SEX and BEER that motivates humankind aspire to
greatness ....
... SEX because it feels good and BEER, because there are lots and
lots of ugly women out there ....

Kevrob

Nov 27, 2015, 2:44:45 PM11/27/15
You might have to substitute BEER with WINE COOLERS when explaining
things from the female point of view.

Kevin R

The Starmaker

Nov 27, 2015, 3:00:53 PM11/27/15
Is that why I see ugy fat girls showing up at nightclubs one half hour
before it closes??

..and the ugly guys wait outside when it closes to pick up the drunk
chicks that are on their way out.

liquor is quicker..that is why God made beer.

Notroll2015

Nov 27, 2015, 4:35:14 PM11/27/15

"Hägar" wrote in message

"Jeff-Relf.Me" wrote in message

Most scientists think "Life" requires liquid water. Ben_Jacoby
(benj), on the other hand, thinks something like "Star Wars" could be
true. Darwin showed how we're related to monkeys; fearing it might
justify murder and such, many reject it. Truth is: We're robots,
programmed to get food, water, air, etc. Like the sun, stars and
everything else... we consume "exergy" (energy that can do work); i.e.
we ratchet entropy. "Randomness" is ignorance, nothing more.

***The problem for Hagar is that no woman could drink enough beer to make
him look doable.

The Starmaker

Nov 27, 2015, 7:53:16 PM11/27/15
If that is the case then he needs to do a 'bill cosby'...

The Starmaker

Nov 27, 2015, 10:14:33 PM11/27/15
real girls drink beer...

Hägar

Nov 28, 2015, 11:43:17 AM11/28/15

"The Starmaker" wrote in message news:56591C...@ix.netcom.com...
*** I take it none of you are regular denizens at the corner saloon.
There
is an old song out there that goes something like this: "Don't the
girls all
get prettier at closing time ..." and yes, beer is still the beverage
of
choice of real men.
The world's faggotry may opt for wine coolers ...

Kevrob

Nov 28, 2015, 2:13:23 PM11/28/15
1975 hit by Mickey Gilley. Written by Baker Knight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_the_Girls_All_Get_Prettier_at_Closing_Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdkRtmk4pTE

If it reminds you of Jerry Lee Lewis, they are cousins.

> and yes, beer is still the beverage
> of choice of real men.

Oh, please. It's my go-to alcoholic drink, but those who are
Tee-total or prefer wine or a cocktail, or a dram of whiskey
are no more or less "real men."

> The world's faggotry may opt for wine coolers ...

I was suggesting they were popular with young women.
Why you needed to resort to slurs against our gay friends
and neighbors... well, I won't speculate. Others have, though.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/homophobes-might-be-hidden-homosexuals/

I don't have much knowledge of gay bars, but I'd guess they sell
their fair share beer.

Kevin R

William December Starr

Nov 30, 2015, 12:46:35 PM11/30/15
In article <7bcbdb2c-097a-432b...@googlegroups.com>,
Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> said:

> It's unproven. Alien life elsewhere in the universe, I mean.
>
> When people claim there is alien life /here/ - flying saucer men
> and so forth - I call kook.

That includes the people who say that the alien's name is something
like "God" or "Jesus," I hope.

-- wds

Robert Carnegie

Nov 30, 2015, 5:57:41 PM11/30/15
Well, I can't call all religious worship "kook".
That starts too many arguments with people that
I prefer not to get into that argument with.

Religious worship of outer space aliens - kook.

William December Starr

Dec 2, 2015, 6:30:54 AM12/2/15
In article <2308585b-9ae1-441f...@googlegroups.com>,
Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> said:

> Well, I can't call all religious worship "kook".
> That starts too many arguments with people that
> I prefer not to get into that argument with.

The Heckler's Veto at work?

-- wds

Robert Carnegie

Dec 4, 2015, 4:31:11 AM12/4/15
No, but it could really spoil a family Christmas
and maybe I wouldn't get any presents.

May I direct you to Tim Minchin's musical commentary
on Christmas? - and on religion, but "Minchin" and
"Christmas" is the combination of words to look up
if it's new to you.

pete...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2015, 10:03:08 AM12/4/15
While you're at it, view "Storm", his commentary on
pseudo science

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U

It's wonderful.

pt

pete...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2015, 10:09:14 AM12/4/15
Yes, as in Charlie Hebdo.

Seriously, many people are incapable of dealing with
critical discussion of this topic; they're working on
faith, and any criticism is mistaken at best, heresy
to be stamped out as worst.

One of the organizations I'm specifically forbids any
discussion of religion or partisan politics during
meetings, to avoid dissension spilling over to other
areas.

pt

Robert Carnegie

Dec 4, 2015, 6:33:16 PM12/4/15
In case I still haven't expressed myself clearly,
let me put it this way: I expect there are people
in rec.arts.sf.written who sincerely worship their
gods, and I find that activity ridiculous but I
don't come here to talk about that, unless it
comes up.

And then Starmaker... he hates Jews (Albert Einstein
especially, then any others who knew Einstein, and
then the rest), but I don't have or want a clear
sense of why. I mean, verbally he blames Einstein
for the Second World War and all world history since,
but I assume he doesn't believe that.

David DeLaney

Dec 5, 2015, 1:25:51 AM12/5/15
On 2015-12-04, Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:
> No, but it could really spoil a family Christmas
> and maybe I wouldn't get any presents.
>
> May I direct you to Tim Minchin's musical commentary
> on Christmas? - and on religion, but "Minchin" and
> "Christmas" is the combination of words to look up
> if it's new to you.

Jonathan Coulton also has one, at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ZsUAy3RFg

Dave, should be safe for work, if not for memetic environment
http://gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd/ -net.legends/Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.