Is this cool

wurliuchi

Jul 30, 2017, 5:55:13 PM7/30/17
I couldn't find any guidelines for this list. Is it cool to promote my new sci-fi book here or will I be thrown into the fires of Mordor? Like a lot of authors, I'm trying to get the word out but I don't want to spam anyone.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jul 30, 2017, 6:05:05 PM7/30/17
Thank you very much for asking. That makes you darn near unique.

Promotion is strongly frowned upon here. If you establish yourself as a
regular, discussing SF and fantasy and such that DOESN'T relate to your
book, after a while an occasional mention won't be a big deal. you can
of course put a link to your book or webpage in your .sig file.

Just coming in and plugging your book without being part of the group
WOULD unleash the flames of perdition.

Again, thanks for asking, and be welcome to join our discussions!

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Jul 30, 2017, 6:15:09 PM7/30/17
On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 14:55:09 -0700 (PDT), wurliuchi <d...@earthen.com>
wrote:

>I couldn't find any guidelines for this list. Is it cool to promote my new sci-fi book here or will I be thrown into the fires of Mordor? Like a lot of authors, I'm trying to get the word out but I don't want to spam anyone.

Go with Wasp's reply - as a now well-published author who became so
while being a long /long/ term local here, he knows how it works.

I'm interested though: How does one promote a new SF book/oneself as a
new author anyway, these days? If one sidesteps the classic 'get
published by Baen/Gollancz/Orbit/blahblah, what's the self-pub route?
Goodreads and Amazon reviews? Pay James Nicoll to do a writeup?

Not including your full name has prevented the easy way of finding your
book by anyone interested, btw. Excessively good form if intentional!

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"... you must remember that if you're trying to propagate a creed of
poverty, gentleness and tolerance, you need a very rich, powerful,

d...@earthen.com

Jul 30, 2017, 6:20:26 PM7/30/17
Understood. Many thanks for explaining it so well.

wurliuchi

Jul 30, 2017, 6:35:42 PM7/30/17
On Sunday, July 30, 2017 at 3:15:09 PM UTC-7, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 14:55:09 -0700 (PDT), wurliuchi
Yeah, I didn't want promote while asking if it was okay to promote. That's bad form. I have my answer and I happy to follow the group's etiquette. You ask some great questions about promotion that I don't have the answers for. I'm trying to find it all out. --Thanks

Michael F. Stemper

Jul 30, 2017, 6:38:44 PM7/30/17
On 2017-07-30 16:55, wurliuchi wrote:
> I couldn't find any guidelines for this list. Is it cool to promote my new sci-fi book here or will I be thrown into the fires of Mordor? Like a lot of authors, I'm trying to get the word out but I don't want to spam anyone.

What Wasp said is quite valid. Keep in mind that:
1. His self-promotion has been limited to "_Book X_ will be
coming out next month."
2. To the best of my knowledge, Lawrence has never done any
self-promotion.
3. Charlie Stross (who no longer participates) limited his
self-promotion to announcing that he'd signed a contract
for what would be his first novel.

(All of the above are to the best of my recollection.)

What Wasp didn't say is that our FAQ may be found at:
<http://leepers.us/evelyn/faqs/sf-written>

> Please let me know.

Welcome aboard.

> Thanks!

Thanks for asking.

--
Michael F. Stemper
Galatians 3:28

Lynn McGuire

Jul 30, 2017, 6:42:20 PM7/30/17
On 7/30/2017 5:15 PM, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> Pay James Nicoll to do a writeup?

Sounds good to me.
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/how-to-commission-a-review

Be prepared for a brutally honest measure of Jame's impressions.

Lynn

Lynn McGuire

Jul 30, 2017, 6:43:34 PM7/30/17
And I did not read rule #2 so good luck with that.

Lynn

Lynn McGuire

Jul 30, 2017, 6:45:17 PM7/30/17
IIRC, Lawrence used to serialize his books based on the amount of
patronage that he received. I do not recall him doing this in several
months ? years ? though.

Lynn

James Nicoll

Jul 30, 2017, 6:54:33 PM7/30/17
In article <olln4m$kuq$1...@dont-email.me>,
I have never seen my name possessionated like that before :)
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll

Lynn McGuire

Jul 30, 2017, 7:01:37 PM7/30/17
Have you published the book yet ? Is is science fiction or fantasy ?

You might want to take a look at (stolen from
http://www.ttgnet.com/journal/ "Books and Publishing" sidebar):
https://davidgaughran.wordpress.com/
http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/
http://www.storyhack.com/how-to-self-publish-a-book/
http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/
http://kriswrites.com/
http://write2publish.blogspot.com/

I have reviewed many books here. My tastes are fairly broad and my
review writing is terrible XXXXXXXX below average. About half of the
books that I have reviewed in the last couple of years are self published.

Lynn

Lynn McGuire

Jul 30, 2017, 7:04:07 PM7/30/17
On 7/30/2017 5:54 PM, James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <olln4m$kuq$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7/30/2017 5:15 PM, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>>> Pay James Nicoll to do a writeup?
>>
>> Sounds good to me.
>> http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/how-to-commission-a-review
>>
>> Be prepared for a brutally honest measure of Jame's impressions.
>>
>> Lynn
>>

> I have never seen my name possessionated like that before :)

Sorry ! I was watching the final five minutes of "The Martian" while
writing that. And I beg incompetence (but you already knew that).

Lynn

James Nicoll

Jul 30, 2017, 7:07:43 PM7/30/17
In article <l8msnc59bti0p7mco...@4ax.com>,
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 14:55:09 -0700 (PDT), wurliuchi <d...@earthen.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I couldn't find any guidelines for this list. Is it cool to promote my
>new sci-fi book here or will I be thrown into the fires of Mordor? Like
>a lot of authors, I'm trying to get the word out but I don't want to
>spam anyone.
>
>Go with Wasp's reply - as a now well-published author who became so
>while being a long /long/ term local here, he knows how it works.
>
>I'm interested though: How does one promote a new SF book/oneself as a
>new author anyway, these days? If one sidesteps the classic 'get
>published by Baen/Gollancz/Orbit/blahblah, what's the self-pub route?
>Goodreads and Amazon reviews? Pay James Nicoll to do a writeup?

Actually, authors (and their publishers, and family) are not permitted
to pay me to read their books. I will accept review copies but my
track record of getting to specific books on my own is appalling.

(I have, for example, about six Haikasoru books on the TBR list. I have
three books in the Expanse series in the TBR list)

I don't take commissioned reviews from authors for a couple of reasons.
First is they may expect their money will buy a possive review, which
it won't unless I like the book. Second is I don't want to encourage new
writers to give other people their money. Money should always flow
towards the author*. Any business whose model involves milking newbies
of their cash is a business I don't want to be involved in.

* There are special circumstances like a self-published author hiring
an editor but on the whole, Yog's Law is a useful rule of thumb. Beware
people selling author exploitation services.

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2014/06/20/yogs-law-and-self-publishing/

James Nicoll

Jul 30, 2017, 7:11:30 PM7/30/17
In article <ollors$1ii$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:

>I don't take commissioned reviews from authors for a couple of reasons.

Bah. Positive review, I mean.

Carl Fink

Jul 30, 2017, 7:52:35 PM7/30/17
On 2017-07-30, Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> IIRC, Lawrence used to serialize his books based on the amount of
> patronage that he received. I do not recall him doing this in several
> months ? years ? though.

LWE switched to a Kickstarter/Patreon model. Speaking as a participant in
funding him both ways.
--
Carl Fink nitpi...@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jul 30, 2017, 8:03:50 PM7/30/17
wurliuchi <d...@earthen.com> wrote in
Someone should probably point out a couple of things:

First, if you want to talk about science fiction (especially
written) that isn't yours, nobody is going to complain if you have
brief (by strict tradition, up to four lines) in your .sig[1]
denoting pretty much anything, like "Hey, I wrote this cool book"
and a link.

Second, don't expect to get to besteller status shilling here.
While this is one of the busier newsgroups left, it's a pale shadow
of the glory days, and there aren't more than few dozen regulars
left. Some of us, however, do talk about stuff we like elsewhere.

[1]If you are no familiar with newsgroup (and email) .sigs, that's
the bit at the end of each post. It starts with two dashed _and_
_a_ _space_. If you do it right, when someone hits "reply," the
.sig is automatically trimmed out. This is good manners.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jul 30, 2017, 8:10:10 PM7/30/17
Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote in
There have been a handful of others who have managed it by already
being regulars and mentioning it in passing, or putting a link in
their .sig.

Mostly, though, it's been yahoos like wurliuchi is *not*, who have,
largely, been the subject of pointing and laughing.

Slogan for the day: Do not be like Tome "Little Tommy Crapman"
Kratman. That is the _wrong_ way to be famous on the internet.

wurliuchi

Jul 31, 2017, 12:18:05 AM7/31/17
Thanks for the advice and guidance, everyone. I'm glad I asked. Yeah, I won't pay for reviews, but I like the Goodreads giveaway idea.

Maybe I'll add a signature later on if I feel I've contributed to the group.

Thanks again.

Moriarty

Jul 31, 2017, 1:19:41 AM7/31/17
Curious now: can you tell us what your book is? As I'm asking, telling us isn't spam.

-Moriarty

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jul 31, 2017, 2:03:57 AM7/31/17
On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 17:38:29 -0500, "Michael F. Stemper"
<michael...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 2017-07-30 16:55, wurliuchi wrote:
>> I couldn't find any guidelines for this list. Is it cool to promote my new sci-fi book here or will I be thrown into the fires of Mordor? Like a lot of authors, I'm trying to get the word out but I don't want to spam anyone.
>
>What Wasp said is quite valid. Keep in mind that:
>1. His self-promotion has been limited to "_Book X_ will be
> coming out next month."
>2. To the best of my knowledge, Lawrence has never done any
> self-promotion.

Oh, sure I have. What else would you call all those plugs when I
posted serial chapters?

And I think I've announced some actual books, haven't I? (I have a
new one just out, in fact -- Tom Derringer in the Tunnels of Terror,
the second volume of the Adventures of Tom Derringer.)

>3. Charlie Stross (who no longer participates) limited his
> self-promotion to announcing that he'd signed a contract
> for what would be his first novel.
>
>(All of the above are to the best of my recollection.)
>
>What Wasp didn't say is that our FAQ may be found at:
><http://leepers.us/evelyn/faqs/sf-written>
>
>> Please let me know.
>
>Welcome aboard.
>
>> Thanks!
>
>Thanks for asking.

Greg Goss

Jul 31, 2017, 3:49:06 AM7/31/17
wurliuchi <d...@earthen.com> wrote:

>> Go with Wasp's reply

>I have my answer and I happy to follow the group's etiquette.

Sea Wasp mentioned the .sig as a space where it's allowed to say
pretty much anything, including promoting your book. So long as the
text above that signature area is relevant to the group.

The signature area of your post has a marker (dash dash space? It's
been so long since I set any of this up) followed by up to four lines
of 72 or less characters. Most posting software can place this for
you automatically. The marker means it's stripped out when people
reply to your post.

Usenet is pretty much on life support. Promoting something to the
fifty or so survivors will have very little impact on sales.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jul 31, 2017, 11:27:58 AM7/31/17
A couple of years. The last one was _Ishta's Companion_, in 2013 and
2014, which got published as _Relics of War_ in December 2014.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jul 31, 2017, 11:33:20 AM7/31/17
On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 23:52:31 +0000 (UTC), Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com>
wrote:

>On 2017-07-30, Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> IIRC, Lawrence used to serialize his books based on the amount of
>> patronage that he received. I do not recall him doing this in several
>> months ? years ? though.
>
>LWE switched to a Kickstarter/Patreon model. Speaking as a participant in
>funding him both ways.

Sort of. I started my first Kickstarter before the last serial, to
see which worked better. And I'd already decided that Kickstarter was
too much work (though it's fun) before I got the Patreon going.

I'll try pretty much anything that looks promising.

Michael F. Stemper

Jul 31, 2017, 12:59:31 PM7/31/17
On 2017-07-31 01:03, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 17:38:29 -0500, "Michael F. Stemper"
> <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-07-30 16:55, wurliuchi wrote:
>>> I couldn't find any guidelines for this list. Is it cool to promote my new sci-fi book here or will I be thrown into the fires of Mordor? Like a lot of authors, I'm trying to get the word out but I don't want to spam anyone.
>>
>> What Wasp said is quite valid. Keep in mind that:
>> 1. His self-promotion has been limited to "_Book X_ will be
>> coming out next month."
>> 2. To the best of my knowledge, Lawrence has never done any
>> self-promotion.
>
> Oh, sure I have. What else would you call all those plugs when I
> posted serial chapters?

I'd forgotten about those, but they do indeed meet the criteria for BSP.

Oh well, the mind is the second thing to go.

--
Michael F. Stemper
This email is to be read by its intended recipient only. Any other party

Michael F. Stemper

Jul 31, 2017, 2:46:35 PM7/31/17
On 2017-07-31 02:48, Greg Goss wrote:
> wurliuchi <d...@earthen.com> wrote:
>

>>> Go with Wasp's reply
>
>> I have my answer and I happy to follow the group's etiquette.
>
> Sea Wasp mentioned the .sig as a space where it's allowed to say
> pretty much anything, including promoting your book. So long as the
> text above that signature area is relevant to the group.
>
> The signature area of your post has a marker (dash dash space? It's
> been so long since I set any of this up) followed by up to four lines
> of 72 or less characters.

Your description is spot-on.

--
Michael F. Stemper
Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be.

Lynn McGuire

Jul 31, 2017, 5:08:00 PM7/31/17
Did he promote any of his books here ?

IIRC, I reviewed his books here and he followed me in.

Lynn

Lynn McGuire

Jul 31, 2017, 5:08:52 PM7/31/17
+1

Lynn

Lynn McGuire

Jul 31, 2017, 5:09:33 PM7/31/17
On 7/31/2017 1:03 AM, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 17:38:29 -0500, "Michael F. Stemper"
> <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-07-30 16:55, wurliuchi wrote:
>>> I couldn't find any guidelines for this list. Is it cool to promote my new sci-fi book here or will I be thrown into the fires of Mordor? Like a lot of authors, I'm trying to get the word out but I don't want to spam anyone.
>>
>> What Wasp said is quite valid. Keep in mind that:
>> 1. His self-promotion has been limited to "_Book X_ will be
>> coming out next month."
>> 2. To the best of my knowledge, Lawrence has never done any
>> self-promotion.
>
> Oh, sure I have. What else would you call all those plugs when I
> posted serial chapters?
>
> And I think I've announced some actual books, haven't I? (I have a
> new one just out, in fact -- Tom Derringer in the Tunnels of Terror,
> the second volume of the Adventures of Tom Derringer.)

Posting sample chapters would be totally cool.

Lynn

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jul 31, 2017, 5:20:10 PM7/31/17
Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote in
I do recall he made comments to the effect that he expected his
behavior here to drive sales.

> IIRC, I reviewed his books here and he followed me in.

Whether anyone else would agree with him, he clearly thought he was
doing so.

(And let's not forget the asshat who gave me my nickname.)

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jul 31, 2017, 5:21:48 PM7/31/17
Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote in
Yeah, if the plan is to be myterious about what the book actually is
to make people curious, it's working.

The Starmaker

Jul 31, 2017, 6:57:51 PM7/31/17
wurliuchi wrote:

> I couldn't find any guidelines for this list. Is it cool to promote my new sci-fi book here or will I be thrown into the fires of Mordor? Like a lot of authors, I'm trying to get the word out but I don't want to spam anyone.
>
> Please let me know.
>
> Thanks!

Yes, it's cool.

go ahead, you have my permission.

i'm giving you the green light.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jul 31, 2017, 7:12:20 PM7/31/17
I second the bit about Patreon being easier, though if you want money
in a big chunk Kickstarter's more likely to do it. And of course you're
not likely to get anything in a Patreon unless you've got either a LOT
of fans, or a small number of pretty solvent and VERY enthusiastic fans.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jul 31, 2017, 7:13:21 PM7/31/17
Agreed. If you've been specifically asked, you are welcome to reply! :)

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jul 31, 2017, 7:13:58 PM7/31/17
"Starmaker" is a known troll or loon, or both. He's best ignored.

Kevrob

Jul 31, 2017, 7:28:27 PM7/31/17
Or, if you are posting samples elsewhere, put the link
in your sig.file.

The linked site can have, of course, a link that allows us to
actually order it, if we are intrigued.

Kevin R

wurliuchi

Jul 31, 2017, 10:12:30 PM7/31/17
Everyone, though I appreciate the invitation by some of you, I'm reluctant to post up a link or give a description of my book here because it would seem like I asked just to slip it in under the door or cut in line and that is not my way. Not that I'm perfect or anything. Also, I'm somewhat intimidated because you guys seem to be more into hardcore sci-fi and my book may not suit your tastes.

How 'bout if I offer up some promo copies of the ePub or mobi in exchange for some quotes or short reviews if you were moved to do so after reading it. The only understating and agreement would be that the file goes only as far as your devices, unless you have kids 12-18 who I wrote the book for (but adults seem to like it too) then by all means you could share it with them.

I'm not looking to get famous. I just have a good story that I think is worth sharing and I need to get the word out about it, and I need quotes and reviews to help do that.

Is this cool? Can we do this by Private Message? I will not share your email with anyone or store it. I will use it only to send the file. Or if not by email, I will put it up on a server somewhere and send you the link via PM.

Let me know.

Thanks!

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Aug 1, 2017, 1:32:23 AM8/1/17
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 16:28:22 -0700 (PDT), Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com>
wrote:
I don't think I have a .sig at present, do I?

If I do, I think I just added the requested link.

My latest novel is Tom Derringer in the Tunnels of Terror.
See http://www.watt-evans.com/TomDerringerintheTunnelsofTerror.shtml

Greg Goss

Aug 1, 2017, 11:02:35 AM8/1/17
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Did he promote any of his books here ?
>
>I do recall he made comments to the effect that he expected his
>behavior here to drive sales.

Oh, my. Baen Free Library gave me one of his books, and it wasn't
bad. But his presence here was an unbelievably powerful negative.
Either I never noticed the first two or three posts, or he was
delusional (or both).

Greg Goss

Aug 1, 2017, 11:03:24 AM8/1/17
Lawrence Watt-Evans <misencha...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I don't think I have a .sig at present, do I?
>
>If I do, I think I just added the requested link.
>

>--
>My webpage is at http://www.watt-evans.com
>My latest novel is Tom Derringer in the Tunnels of Terror.
>See http://www.watt-evans.com/TomDerringerintheTunnelsofTerror.shtml

Yes.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 1, 2017, 12:45:18 PM8/1/17
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote in news:eubjg7Fja6mU2
@mid.individual.net:

> Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Did he promote any of his books here ?
>>
>>I do recall he made comments to the effect that he expected his
>>behavior here to drive sales.
>
> Oh, my. Baen Free Library gave me one of his books, and it wasn't
> bad. But his presence here was an unbelievably powerful negative.
> Either I never noticed the first two or three posts, or he was
> delusional (or both).

It's like there's a finite amount of good opinion for each person in
the world, and the less other people have of you, the more you have
for yourself.

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 1, 2017, 1:30:10 PM8/1/17
In article <XnsA7C46339216...@69.16.179.42>,
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote in news:eubjg7Fja6mU2
>@mid.individual.net:

>>>I do recall he made comments to the effect that he expected his
>>>behavior here to drive sales.
>>
>> Oh, my. Baen Free Library gave me one of his books, and it wasn't
>> bad. But his presence here was an unbelievably powerful negative.
>> Either I never noticed the first two or three posts, or he was
>> delusional (or both).
>
>It's like there's a finite amount of good opinion for each person in
>the world, and the less other people have of you, the more you have
>for yourself.

A function of Denning-Kruger, maybe.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

David DeLaney

Aug 1, 2017, 1:47:55 PM8/1/17
On 2017-07-31, Michael F. Stemper <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I have my answer and I happy to follow the group's etiquette.
>>
>> Sea Wasp mentioned the .sig as a space where it's allowed to say
>> pretty much anything, including promoting your book. So long as the
>> text above that signature area is relevant to the group.
>>
>> The signature area of your post has a marker (dash dash space? It's
>> been so long since I set any of this up) followed by up to four lines
>> of 72 or less characters.
>
> Your description is spot-on.

4x80, as McQ decreed in the beginning. 72 is Allowed but does not push the
limits. Explo-Tab protection available at a slight additional fee. See below.

Dave, will exampulate for food

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 1, 2017, 1:49:59 PM8/1/17
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in
Entirely plausible.

I mean, really, it would have been forgivable if the flames had
been well written and clever, but it was mostly "Yo Mamma" insults
that would have gotten grammar corrections in the fourth grade.
Certainly doesn't incline me to bother with his actual books.

David DeLaney

Aug 1, 2017, 1:50:22 PM8/1/17
On 2017-07-30, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
> First is they may expect their money will buy a possive review, which
> it won't unless I like the book.

Yeah, how dare they expect your review to imply the book exists?

Dave, also, haven't seen the alternate-present subjunctive in English for a
while, grats!

David DeLaney

Aug 1, 2017, 1:54:14 PM8/1/17
On 2017-07-31, wurliuchi <d...@earthen.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the advice and guidance, everyone. I'm glad I asked. Yeah, I won't
> pay for reviews, but I like the Goodreads giveaway idea.
>
> Maybe I'll add a signature later on if I feel I've contributed to the group.
>
> Thanks again.

One thing I haven't seen anyone else say yet is that a sister group (not 'list'
by the way, that's for mailing lists) called rec.arts.sf.composition used to be
where to go for writing tips and critiques. I have no idea if it's dead these
days or not. As others have noted, Usenet is now completely overshadowed by 10
zillion separate web-forums on about 3 grillion websites...

Dave, the future is divisive

The Starmaker

Aug 1, 2017, 2:20:52 PM8/1/17
The guide lines are, there are no guide lines.

Here. I will show you in my next post...then watch to see if the
'so-called' guidelines have any effect.

Lynn McGuire

Aug 1, 2017, 2:27:31 PM8/1/17
My personal email is the email address in this reply to you. In fact,
here it is: lynnmc...@gmail.com

Lynn

The Starmaker

Aug 1, 2017, 2:29:32 PM8/1/17
THERE IS A FIFTH DIMENSION BEYOND THAT WHICHIS KNOWN TO MAN IT IS A
DIMENSION AS VAST AS SPACE AND AS TIMELESS AS INFINITY.
IT IS THE MIDDLE GROUND BETWEEN LIGHT AND SHADOW, BETWEEN SCIENCE AND
SUPERSTITION AND IT LIES BETWEEN THE PIT OF MAN'S FEARS AND THE SUMMIT
OF HIS KNOWLEDGE.
THIS IS THE DIMENSION OF IMAGINATION IT IS AN AREA WHICH WE CALL THE
TWILIGHT ZONE.
[thunder] EXCUSE ME.
HM? U H, THE BUS TO CORTLAN D.
WHAT ABOUT H ER? WELL, IT WAS DU E A HALF AN HOUR AGO.
YU P, HALF HOUR AGO.
[sighs] WHEN WILL IT BE I N? HARD TO SAY.
BEEN RAINING HARD.
ROAD'S SLICK.
MAYBE A BRI DG E OR TWO OUT.
THAT'LL PLAY HARD WITH THE SCH EDU LE.
WELL, WHEN DO YOU THINK IT WILL BE I N? SHE'LL BE IN WHEN SHE'LL BE IN.
THAT'S ALL.
I TOLD YOU THAT THE LAST TIME YOU ASKED.
THE LAST TIME I ASKED? THE LAST TIME I ASKED WAS RIGHT NOW.
LOOK, ALL I WANT FROM YOU IS A CIVI L ANSWER.
YOU'RE GETTING A CIVI L ANSWER.
THE TROU BLE IS EVERY TEN MINUTES YOU'RE U P HERE REQU I RING ON E.
SITUATIONS JUST DON'T CHANGE THAT RAPIDLY AND YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE
CORTLAND BUS.
IT WAS LATE WHEN YOU ASKED A HALF HOUR AGO LATE WHEN YOU COME BACK AND
IT'S LATE NOW.
AND ALL THE ASKING IN THE WORLD AIN'T GOING TO PUSH IT NON E.
BUT THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I'VE BEEN UP HERE-- THE VERY FIRST TIME.
E ITHER YOU NEED YOUR EYES, NOW WHAT'S THE MATTER? NOTHING.
NOTHING'S THE MATTER.
(male narrator) M ILLICENT BARNES, AGE 25, YOUNG WOMAN WAITING FOR A BUS
ON A RAINY NOVEMBER NIGHT.
NOT A VERY IMAGINATIVE TYPE IS MISS BARNES.
NOT GIVEN TO UNDUE ANXIETY OF FEARS OR FOR THAT MATTER EVEN THE MOST
TEMPORAL FLIGHTS OF FANCY.
LIKE MOST YOUNG CAREER WOMEN, SHE HAS A GENERIC CLASSIFICATION AS A
"GIRL WITH A HEAD ON HER SHOULDERS.
" ALL OF WHICHIS MENTIONED NOW BECAUSE IN JUST A MOMENT THE HEAD ON MISS
BARNES'S SHOULDERS WILL BE PUT TO A TEST.
CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ASSAULT HER SENSE OF REALITY AND A CHAIN OF
NIGHTMARES WILL PUT HER SANITY ON A BLOCK.
M ILLICENT BARNES, WHO IN ONE M INUTE WILL WONDER IF SHE'S GOING MAD.
[suspense music] WELL, SHALL WE RU N TH ROUG H IT AGAIN, MISS? OH, NO
THANK YOU.
I WAS JUST NOTICING IT ISN'T VERY MUCH BUT, BUT THAT BAG-- WHAT ABOUT
IT? WELL, IT'S J UST LIKE M IN E.
IT'SIDENTICAL, EVEN TO THE BROKEN HAN DLE.
WHAT IS THIS, SOME KIND OF A GAME? WHAT? THAT IS YOUR BAG-- YOU CHECKED
IT.
OH, NO, THAT ISN'T MY BAG.
IT LOOKS J UST LIKE MY BAG, BUT MY-- [suspense music] WELL, HOW--? WILL
YOU GO OVER THERE AND S IT DOWN? YOU'RE E ITHER WALKING IN YOUR SLEEP OR
H U NG OVER OR SOMETHING.
LET ME READ MY MAGAZIN E.
WHEN THE CORTLAND BUS COMES THERE'LL BE A LOU D SOU N D OF AN ENG IN E,
A DOOR OPENING, PEOPLE WILL COME IN HERE.
THEN YOU'LL KNOW THE BUS IS HERE.
BUT I DIDN'T CHECK MY BAG.
AND ANYWAY, WHEN I SAW THAT, MY BAG-- ALL YOU ALL RIGHT, MISS? YES, OF
COURSE I'M ALL RIGHT.
I'M PERFECTLY ALL RIGHT.
WHY? DON'T I LOOK ALL RIGHT? YOU LOOK F IN E.
YOU LOOK JUST F IN E.
IT'S JUST THAT WHEN YOU WERE IN HERE BEFORE-- BEFORE? WHAT DO YOU MEAN
BEFORE? I'VE NEVER BEEN IN HERE BEFORE.
HONEY, YOU WERE JUST IN HERE A FEW MINUTES AGO.
ME? I'VE NEVER BEEN IN HERE BEFORE.
WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH THIS PLACE ANYWAY? SOMEBODY KEEPS TAKING MY BAG
SOMEBODY SAYS I KEEP ASKING ABOUT THE BUS AND YOU SAY I'VE BEEN IN HERE
BEFORE.
JUST TAKE IT EASY.
EVERYTHING'S GOING TO BE ALL RIGHT.
OF COURSE EVERYTHING'S GOING TO BE ALL RIGHT! NOTHING WRONG TO BEG IN
WITH.
THE ONLY THING WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE IS YOU NEED SOME SLEEP OR
SOMETHING.
[gasps] [suspense music] LET ME GET YOU A COLD CLOTH, HONEY.
I DON'T THINK YOU'RE WELL.
NO, I DON'T NEED THAT.
NO, I'LL BE ALL RIGHT.
I M UST BE OVERTIRED BUT I'LL BE ALL RIGHT.
[thunder] EXCUSE ME.
YES? I WON DER I F YOU SAW SOMEON E S ITTING IN MY SEAT.
I DON'T THINKS SO, MISS.
I WASN'T LOOKING VERY CLOSE.
[mumbIing] WHAT'S THE TROU BLE? NO, NO TROU BLE.
I JUST THOUGHT I SAW SOMEBODY I KNEW.
IN HERE? THANK YOU.
I'M SORRY TO HAVE DISTU RBED YOU.
(Millicent) WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH ME? WHAT ON EARTH IS THE MATTER WITH
ME? WHAT'S HAPPENING? DELUSIONS, THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE.
THEY'RE DELUSIONS.
I MUST BE SICK.
I MUST BE RUNNING A FEVER.
I'M NOT EVEN WARM.
I DON'T HAVE ANY FEVER.
NO FEVER AT ALL.
(man) EXCUSE ME, MISS.
YES.
OH.
YES, WHAT IS IT? YOUR BAG, I THINK YOU DROPPED IT.
OH, THANK YOU.
THE BUS IS LATE, ISN'T IT? IT SEEMS SO.
OVER A HALF AN HOUR LATE.
YOU DO MEAN THE BUS TO CORTLAN D, DON'T YOU? THAT'S THE ON E.
I WAS SU PPOSED TO BE IN SYRACUSE TONIGHT BY 1 0 :00.
THE PLAN ES WERE ALL GROU N DED SO I TOOK A CAB FROM BING HAMTON.
IT SKI DDED INTO A TREE A FEW M I LES OUTSIDE OF HERE.
I HAD TO WALK INTO TOWN TO GET HERE.
FORGIVE ME, MISS, YOU'RE NOT I LL, ARE YOU? OH, I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S
WRONG WITH ME.
I-- I REALLY DON'T.
WELL, IS THERE SOMETHING I CAN DO? WELL, I DON'T KNOW.
IT'S JUST THAT ALL SORTS OF QU EER THINGS HAVE BEEN HAPPENING TO ME.
I'VE BEEN SEEING THINGS.
SEEING THINGS? WHAT SORT OF THINGS? I'M NOT SURE I SHOU LD TELL YOU.
YOU'D PROBABLY WANT TO MOVE TO ANOTHER PART OF THE ROOM OR CALL THE
POLICE OR AN AM BU LANCE OR SOMETHING.
WELL, WHY DON'T YOU TELL ME.
MAYBE I CAN H ELP.
I NCI DENTALLY, MY NAME IS G RI NSTEAD, PAU L GRI NSTEAD.
I'M FROM BING HAMTON.
HOW DO YOU DO? I'M M I LLICENT BARN ES.
AT LEAST I WAS M I LLICENT BARN ES.
I'M A PRIVATE SECRETARY.
I QU IT MY JOB HERE ON TH U RSDAY AND I'VE GOT ANOTH ER JOB IN BU FFALO.
THAT'S WHERE I'M GOING TONIGHT, TO BU FFALO.
EVERYBODY KEEPS TELLING ME THAT I'VE BEEN HERE BEFORE.
THAT MAN WHO TAKES THE TICKETS-- HE SAYS I KEEP ASKING ABOUT THE BUS.
AND THE WOMAN IN THE POWDER ROOM SAYS I'VE BEEN IN THERE BEFORE, AND I
HAVEN'T.
AND MY BAG HERE, [gasps] MY BAG! THERE IT IS.
OH.
OH, THANK GOD.
FOR A MINUTE I THOUGHT EVERYTHING WAS STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN.
THAT MAN SAID I CHECKED IT AND I HADN'T.
BUT THERE WAS A BAG, ALMOST I DENTICAL TO M IN E IN THE BAGGAG E ROOM.
AND THEN WHEN I CAM E OUT OF THE POWDER ROOM IT WASN'T THERE.
GO ON.
WELL, IT SOU N DS VERY STRANG E BUT, WHEN I CAME OUT OF THE POWDER ROOM
I LOOKED IN THE M I RROR AND I COULD SEE THE WHOLE WAITING ROOM IN THE M
I RROR, AND I-- WELL, WHAT DID YOU SEE, MISS BARN ES? I SAW MYSELF S
ITTING RIGHT HERE ON THIS BENCH.
IT'S DELUS IONS.
YES.
YES, THAT'S WHAT IT MUST BE.
DELUS IONS, SOME SORT OF DELUS IONS.
BUT I'M NOT S ICK.
I DON'T HAVE A TEM PERATU RE.
I'M NOT RU N NING A FEVER.
BUT IT'S NOT JUST SEEING THINGS THAT DON'T EXIST.
WHY DID THAT MAN AND THAT WOMAN SAY THAT THEY HAD SEEN ME BEFORE? I
DON'T KNOW.
THIS ON E'S TOUG H TO F IG U RE OUT.
WELL, WHAT'S HAPPENING TO ME? WHAT-- WHAT'S WRONG? I'M NOT SOME SORT OF
KOOK, I'VE NEVER HAD ANY TROU BLE LIKE THIS BEFORE, I MEAN, TROU BLE
WITH MY MIND.
OF COURSE YOU HAVEN'T.
THERE'S AN EXPLANATION SOM EPLACE.
THERE'S A REASON.
MAYBE-- MAYBE WHAT? MAYBE THERE'S SOMEONE HERE WHO RESEM BLES YOU.
THAT COULD BE IT.
OR MAYBE SOMEONE IS PLAYING SOME KIND OF A JOKE OR SOMETHING.
OH, IS THAT POSS I BLE? OH, THAT'S TOO FANTASTIC AND THAT DOESN'T
EXPLAIN ABOUT THE BAG.
AND ANYWAY, IF THERE IS SUCH A PERSON, WHERE IS SH E? WHERE IS THIS
PERSON? [bus engine] (man) BUS TO CORTLAND.
SYRACUSE, BU FFALO, NOW ARRIVING.
LET ME TAKE THAT FOR YOU.
LOOKS H EAVY.
OH, THANK YOU.
YOU'RE VERY KIND.
YOU'RE EASY TO BE KIND TO.
NO, I MEAN, MORE THAN JUST KIND.
WE BETTER GET ON THE BUS.
I'LL TAKE YOUR BAG.
ALL RIGHT.
[gasps] MISS BARN ES! M I LLICENT.
WHAT'S THE MATTER? WAIT A MINUTE.
ON OUR WAY.
YOU AND THE LADY COMING OR AREN'T? NO, WE'LL WAIT FOR THE NEXT ON E.
NEXT ONE AIN'T DU E TILL 7 :00 IN THE MORNING.
YOU'VE GOT A LONG WAIT.
THAT'S ALL RIGHT.
OKAY.
I'M SHUTTING OFF SOME OF THESE LIGHTS.
"WHEN NOT IN USE, TURN OFF THE J U ICE.
" THAT'S WHAT I ALWAYS SAY.
I BEST BE GETTING HOM E.
OH, I SURE HOPE SHE FEELS BETTER.
THANK YOU.
YOU'VE BEEN VERY N ICE.
OH, IT'S ALL RIGHT BUT OFFHAN D, MISTER I'D SAY SHE NEEDED SOME LOOKING
AFTER.
YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.
YOU FEELING BETTER? THE BUS.
IT HAD TO LEAVE.
THERE'LL BE ANOTH ER BEFORE TOO LONG.
YOU DIDN'T GET ON.
I'M THIS LATE ALREADY.
A FEW MORE HOURS WON'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE.
I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT SOMETHING.
IT'S VERY ODD, BUT, I'VE BEEN REMEMBERING.
REMEMBERING WHAT? ABOUT SOMETHING I READ OR HEARD ABOUT A LONG TIME AGO.
ABOUT DIFFERENT PLAN ES OF EXISTENCE.
ABOUT TWO PARALLEL WORLDS THAT EXIST SIDE BY SIDE AND EACH OF US HAS A
COU NTERPART IN THIS WORLD AN D, AND SOMETIMES TH ROUG H SOME FREAK TH
ROUG H SOMETHING U N EXPLAINABLE THIS COU NTERPART-- AFTER THE TWO
WORLDS CONVERG E-- COMES INTO OUR WORLD AND IN ORDER TO SU RVIVE IT HAS
TO TAKE OVER.
TAKE OVER? REPLACE US.
MOVE US OUT SO THAT IT CAN LIVE.
THAT'S A LITTLE M ETAPHYS ICAL FOR ME.
I REMEMBER READING IT SOMEWHERE.
EACH OF US HAS A TWI N IN THIS OTHER WORLD, AN I DENTICAL TWI N.
MAYBE THAT WOMAN I SAW-- M I LLICENT, THERE'S ANOTHER EXPLANATION.
THERE HAS TO BE.
ONE THAT COMES WITH MORE REASON.
I CAN'T EXPLAIN IT BUT I KNOW THAT'S WHAT'S HAPPENED.
THIS OTHER WOMAN, MY COU NTERPART-- FORGET ABOUT IT, PLEASE.
DON'T THINK ABOUT IT.
I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING.
I'VE GOT A GOOD FRI EN D WHO LIVES IN TU LLY.
I'LL CALL HIM.
MAYBE HE'LL BRING H IS CAR DOWN HERE FOR US.
HE MIGHT EVEN DRIVE US INTO SYRACUSE.
I'LL CALL HIM.
ALL RIGHT, M I LLICENT? SHALL I CALL MY FRI EN D? U NASKED, I'LL TELL
YOU WHAT I THINK.
I'D SAY SHE'S GOT A LEAK IN HER ATTIC.
PARALLEL PLAN ES.
COUNTERPARTS FROM ANOTHER LIFE.
[guffaws] YOU GOT A THING ABOUT S ICK PEOPLE? IS THAT IT? POOR, POOR KI
D.
I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN.
GO CALL YOUR FRI EN D.
HM? YOUR FRI END IN TU LLY WITH THE CAR.
I DON'T HAVE ANY FRI END IN TU LLY.
SHE NEEDS H ELP, MEDICAL H ELP.
IF IG U RED IT WOULD BE EASIER THIS WAY.
IF IG U RED SH E'D COME ALONG.
POOR KI D.
CAN I USE IT? GO AHEAD.
WHO'RE YOU GOING TO CALL? THE POLICE, I GU ESS.
I THINK THEY'RE THE ONES THAT COULD H ELP US.
TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH, SH E KIND OF GIVES ME THE WI LLI ES.
I'D AS LEAVE SHE LEFT HERE SOMEHOW.
[suspense music] WHERE ARE YOU? WHERE DID YOU GO? WHAT DO YOU WANT?
(Millicent) WHERE ARE YOU? M I LLICENT.
ARE YOU ALL RIGHT? YES.
I'M ALL RIGHT.
HOW ABOUT GETTING SOME FRESH AIR? ALL RIGHT.
[screams] (man) DID YOU GET HER OFF ALL RIGHT? YEAH.
THEY'RE GONNA TAKE HER TO THE HOSP ITAL FOR OBSERVATION.
WHAT WAS SH E TALKING ABOUT? SOMETHING ABOUT ANOTHER LIFE.
I DON'T KNOW.
THAT'S PART OF HER I LLN ESS, I GU ESS.
[sighs] YOU SAID THE NEXT BUS IS AT 7 :00? YOU GOT ABOUT FOU R AND A
HALF HOURS, PAL.
YOU CAN TAKE A SNOOZE ON THAT BENCH.
YOU'LL BE ALL ALONE, NO NOISE WHATSOEVER.
THIS PLACE IS LIKE A TOM B BETWEEN NIGHT AND MORNING.
MAYBE I WILL GET SOME SLEEP.
[suspense music] HEY.
HEY! WHERE ARE YOU? (male narrator) OBSCURE AND METAPHYSICAL EXPLANATION
TO COVER A PHENOMENA.
REASONS DREDGED OUT OF THE SHADOWS TO EXPLAIN AWAY THAT WHICH CAN NOT BE
EXPLAIN ED.
CALL IT PARALLEL PLANES OR JUST INSANITY.
WHATEVER IT IS, YOU FIND IT IN THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

The Starmaker

Aug 1, 2017, 2:30:56 PM8/1/17
okay, but i own the movie rights...

wurliuchi

Aug 1, 2017, 5:32:14 PM8/1/17
Thank you, Lynn. I have sent you the book.

wurliuchi

Aug 1, 2017, 5:33:20 PM8/1/17
That made me laugh. Thanks.

Gene Wirchenko

Aug 1, 2017, 9:39:27 PM8/1/17
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 02:03:55 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans
<misencha...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 17:38:29 -0500, "Michael F. Stemper"
><michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2017-07-30 16:55, wurliuchi wrote:
>>> I couldn't find any guidelines for this list. Is it cool to promote my new sci-fi book here or will I be thrown into the fires of Mordor? Like a lot of authors, I'm trying to get the word out but I don't want to spam anyone.
>>
>>What Wasp said is quite valid. Keep in mind that:
>>1. His self-promotion has been limited to "_Book X_ will be
>> coming out next month."
>>2. To the best of my knowledge, Lawrence has never done any
>> self-promotion.
>
>Oh, sure I have. What else would you call all those plugs when I
>posted serial chapters?

Nothing else.

>And I think I've announced some actual books, haven't I? (I have a
>new one just out, in fact -- Tom Derringer in the Tunnels of Terror,
>the second volume of the Adventures of Tom Derringer.)

I will have a look.

If someone has invested time in rasfw, I really do not mind
hearing about his books. Drive-by promotion, though, I do not like.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

David Goldfarb

Aug 1, 2017, 10:15:06 PM8/1/17
In article <ouhtnchuk81re1vfg...@reader80.eternal-september.org>,
Lawrence Watt-Evans <misencha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>And I think I've announced some actual books, haven't I? (I have a
>new one just out, in fact -- Tom Derringer in the Tunnels of Terror,
>the second volume of the Adventures of Tom Derringer.)

It seems a little strange to me that I first heard the book was out
in this venue, even though I subscribe to your email newsletter.

--
David Goldfarb |"We went to a movie, some monsters or aliens were
goldf...@gmail.com |destroying New York as usual (this is LA's way
| -- Salman Rushdie

David Goldfarb

Aug 1, 2017, 10:30:04 PM8/1/17
In article <7NGdnSclPrSgXR3E...@earthlink.com>,
David DeLaney <d...@vic.com> wrote:
>One thing I haven't seen anyone else say yet is that a sister group (not 'list'
>by the way, that's for mailing lists) called rec.arts.sf.composition used to be
>where to go for writing tips and critiques. I have no idea if it's dead these
>days or not.

It is, alas, pretty much completely dead. James Donald and company
drove off everyone except themselves, and then they left. I still
watch it, and so do Dorothy and Wasp, but it has long since lost the
critical mass of participants needed to sustain a conversation.

--
David Goldfarb |"Steppe nomads are a lot less frightening since
goldf...@gmail.com | tanks were invented."

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 2, 2017, 1:00:03 AM8/2/17
In article <7NGdnSclPrSgXR3E...@earthlink.com>,
David DeLaney <d...@vic.com> wrote:
>On 2017-07-31, wurliuchi <d...@earthen.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the advice and guidance, everyone. I'm glad I asked. Yeah, I won't
>> pay for reviews, but I like the Goodreads giveaway idea.
>>
>> Maybe I'll add a signature later on if I feel I've contributed to the group.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>
>One thing I haven't seen anyone else say yet is that a sister group (not 'list'
>by the way, that's for mailing lists) called rec.arts.sf.composition used to be
>where to go for writing tips and critiques. I have no idea if it's dead these
>days or not.

Virtually so. Every noe and then somebody posts an ad for
printing services or something similarly unrelated to what rasf-c
was about. I usually post an answer explaining what rasf-c USED
to be about, and is now dead because it was invade by an
alt-right troll, and everybody quit, so they shouldn't bother
advertising there.

As others have noted, Usenet is now completely overshadowed by 10
>zillion separate web-forums on about 3 grillion websites...

Yes, it's a pity: some of the blogs have comment sections but I
don't think most of them work.

Greg Goss

Aug 2, 2017, 1:41:48 AM8/2/17
David DeLaney <davidd...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On 2017-07-30, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>> First is they may expect their money will buy a possive review, which
>> it won't unless I like the book.
>
>Yeah, how dare they expect your review to imply the book exists?
>
>Dave, also, haven't seen the alternate-present subjunctive in English for a
> while, grats!

I didn't even know that we HAD an alternate-present subjunctive. All
the novels keep telling us that English isn't designed for time
travel.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Aug 2, 2017, 1:53:21 AM8/2/17
On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 01:59:04 GMT, gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu (David
Goldfarb) wrote:

>In article <ouhtnchuk81re1vfg...@reader80.eternal-september.org>,
>Lawrence Watt-Evans <misencha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>And I think I've announced some actual books, haven't I? (I have a
>>new one just out, in fact -- Tom Derringer in the Tunnels of Terror,
>>the second volume of the Adventures of Tom Derringer.)
>
>It seems a little strange to me that I first heard the book was out
>in this venue, even though I subscribe to your email newsletter.

I haven't gotten around to sending a newsletter since the book came
out. I don't like to send them all that often, and I've been holding
off in hopes I'd also have news about other stuff, such as the
audiobook of _Dragon Weather_ (which should be available in a week or
so).

My latest novel is Tom Derringer in the Tunnels of Terror.
See http://www.watt-evans.com/TomDerringerintheTunnelsofTerror.shtml

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Aug 2, 2017, 2:00:33 AM8/2/17
On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 01:53:19 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans
<misencha...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 01:59:04 GMT, gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu (David
>Goldfarb) wrote:
>
>>In article <ouhtnchuk81re1vfg...@reader80.eternal-september.org>,
>>Lawrence Watt-Evans <misencha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>And I think I've announced some actual books, haven't I? (I have a
>>>new one just out, in fact -- Tom Derringer in the Tunnels of Terror,
>>>the second volume of the Adventures of Tom Derringer.)
>>
>>It seems a little strange to me that I first heard the book was out
>>in this venue, even though I subscribe to your email newsletter.
>
>I haven't gotten around to sending a newsletter since the book came
>out. I don't like to send them all that often, and I've been holding
>off in hopes I'd also have news about other stuff, such as the
>audiobook of _Dragon Weather_ (which should be available in a week or
>so).

And besides, I just checked, and Newsletter #117, sent July 15th, gave
the exact release date (July 26th) for _Tom Derringer in the Tunnels
of Terror_.

If I give an exact date without qualification, it's going to happen.
In that case I had already sent all the files to the various
publishing outlets and checked to make sure they worked, I just hadn't
told the distributors in question to go ahead and release them. I was
holding off until I got back from Greece.

Did you get that newsletter?

Steve Coltrin

Aug 2, 2017, 2:15:11 AM8/2/17
begin fnord
"Buddy, I get asked that a lot, but never before in the pluperfect
subjunctive."

--
Steve Coltrin spco...@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel

Peter Trei

Aug 2, 2017, 9:17:49 AM8/2/17
On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 2:15:11 AM UTC-4, Steve Coltrin wrote:
> begin fnord
> Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> writes:
>
> > David DeLaney <davidd...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> >>Yeah, how dare they expect your review to imply the book exists?
> >>
> >>Dave, also, haven't seen the alternate-present subjunctive in English for a
> >> while, grats!
> >
> > I didn't even know that we HAD an alternate-present subjunctive. All
> > the novels keep telling us that English isn't designed for time
> > travel.
>
> "Buddy, I get asked that a lot, but never before in the pluperfect
> subjunctive."

There's a punchline I haven't heard in a while.

pt

The Starmaker

Aug 2, 2017, 7:01:44 PM8/2/17
since you gave Lynn McGuire a free copy, i want all the copyrights now!

i'll give you a free movie ticket when the movie comes out.

David Goldfarb

Aug 3, 2017, 2:15:05 AM8/3/17
In article <ocq2ocl3fckaq8gfs...@reader80.eternal-september.org>,
Lawrence Watt-Evans <misencha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>And besides, I just checked, and Newsletter #117, sent July 15th, gave
>the exact release date (July 26th) for _Tom Derringer in the Tunnels
>of Terror_.

[...]
>Did you get that newsletter?

I went looking for it and did in fact find it. All I can say is that
the date didn't make an impression on me when I read it at the time.

--
David Goldfarb | "Justice or immortality. An intriguing choice."
goldf...@gmail.com |

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Aug 3, 2017, 4:35:49 PM8/3/17
On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 05:46:09 GMT, gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu (David
Goldfarb) wrote:

>In article <ocq2ocl3fckaq8gfs...@reader80.eternal-september.org>,
>Lawrence Watt-Evans <misencha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>And besides, I just checked, and Newsletter #117, sent July 15th, gave
>>the exact release date (July 26th) for _Tom Derringer in the Tunnels
>>of Terror_.
>>
>[...]
>>Did you get that newsletter?
>
>I went looking for it and did in fact find it. All I can say is that
>the date didn't make an impression on me when I read it at the time.

I maybe should have given it more emphasis; it was buried halfway down
the page.

My latest novel is Tom Derringer in the Tunnels of Terror.
See http://www.watt-evans.com/TomDerringerintheTunnelsofTerror.shtml

wurliuchi

Aug 3, 2017, 5:51:54 PM8/3/17
I'm putting out one more offer for a free epub or kindle/mobi of my new book in exchange for a short review or a quotable quote. If you don't feel so moved to provide that after reading it, or once you receive the book you realize it just isn't your thing, that's okay.

I'm not really sure how the private message thing works here since I've never received one, but if you can send me your email address I will send you a copy.

Let me know.

Thank you!

Moriarty

Aug 3, 2017, 6:04:49 PM8/3/17
OK, I did ask. fifthwave at live dot com dot au

I'll even promise to push it to the top of my reading pile, right after I finish Stephen Donaldson's "Against All Things Ending".

This could take some time, it's a puissant read that sooth takes aeons to get somewither.

Thank you!

-Moriarty

wurliuchi

Aug 3, 2017, 6:55:22 PM8/3/17
On Thursday, August 3, 2017 at 3:04:49 PM UTC-7, Moriarty wrote:

> I'll even promise to push it to the top of my reading pile, right after I finish Stephen Donaldson's "Against All Things Ending".
>
> This could take some time, it's a puissant read that sooth takes aeons to get somewither.
>
> Thank you!
>
> -Moriarty

Thank you, Moriarty. The epub has been sent.

Lynn McGuire

Aug 4, 2017, 3:30:01 PM8/4/17
Got it. I had to install a ePub reader on my home pc to look it. I
will try to get serious about it sometime. I usually only read dead
tree books since I spend so much time on the computer as a software
developer.

BTW, for those interested, the book is _Z9 City: Coming of Age_ :
https://www.amazon.com/Z9-City-Coming-D-C-Hightower/dp/1887400516/

Lynn

Default User

Aug 4, 2017, 8:40:20 PM8/4/17
On Thursday, August 3, 2017 at 4:51:54 PM UTC-5, wurliuchi wrote:

> I'm not really sure how the private message thing works here since I've never received one, but if you can send me your email address I will send you a copy.

Just to clarify, Google Groups is a web interface to a separate and much older system called usenet. Most of the people who post here are not using it (although I am at this time). They use dedicated newsreaders and various news feeds.

I believe you think it's like typical web forums with an integrated system including private messaging. Google Groups might have PM, not sure, but most people here can only reply in the group or send you email.

Brian

Greg Goss

Aug 5, 2017, 10:59:03 PM8/5/17
Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Got it. I had to install a ePub reader on my home pc to look it. I
>will try to get serious about it sometime. I usually only read dead
>tree books since I spend so much time on the computer as a software
>developer.

For windows machines, I like the reader bundled with Calibre. It can
be loaded directly without going through Calibre.

wurliuchi

Aug 8, 2017, 6:52:13 PM8/8/17
On Friday, August 4, 2017 at 12:30:01 PM UTC-7, Lynn McGuire wrote:

> Got it. I had to install a ePub reader on my home pc to look it. I
> will try to get serious about it sometime. I usually only read dead
> tree books since I spend so much time on the computer as a software
> developer.
>
> BTW, for those interested, the book is _Z9 City: Coming of Age_ :
> https://www.amazon.com/Z9-City-Coming-D-C-Hightower/dp/1887400516/
>
> Lynn

Thanks for letting me know, Lynn. I prefer hard copies too but I can't afford mailing them out. Tablets aren't too bad.

Running a Goodreads giveaway for the paperback if anyone wants to enter: https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/249634-z9-city-book-1-coming-of-age

Thank you

larry

Aug 16, 2017, 7:40:34 PM8/16/17
A proper matron on the train to Boston and
the planned purchase of scrod, are involved somehow,
if I remember correctly.

--
After investigation, believe that which you have yourselves
tested and found reasonable, and which is for your good

Quadibloc

Aug 16, 2017, 9:13:54 PM8/16/17
On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 12:15:11 AM UTC-6, Steve Coltrin wrote:

> "Buddy, I get asked that a lot, but never before in the pluperfect
> subjunctive."

I had to look that up.

Some of my results showed that there _is_ such a tense as the pluperfect
subjunctive, at least in Spanish.

It is used to construct sentences like:

Had we put the car's top up before the storm, the seats wouldn't be soaked now.

Thus, it is used to refer to past events that hadn't really happened.

The joke it appears in has to do with the fact that a popular delicacy in the
New England states is a kind of fish called "scrod".

It's based on the fact, or at least presumption, that people ask cab drivers
where to find prostitutes - which may have been true in a bygone age, but I
suspect it is far less true now.

It comes from a book by William Safire, apparently.

John Savard

Quadibloc

Aug 16, 2017, 9:16:49 PM8/16/17
On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 11:41:48 PM UTC-6, Greg Goss wrote:

> I didn't even know that we HAD an alternate-present subjunctive. All
> the novels keep telling us that English isn't designed for time
> travel.

It isn't. But that language's history of taking words from other languages with
abandon may well have left it uniquely suited to being modified so as to meet such
requirements in the future when they arise.

John Savard

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Aug 17, 2017, 12:47:17 AM8/17/17
On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 23:36:15 -0000 (UTC), larry <ljm...@wightman.ca>
wrote:

>On 2017-08-02, Peter Trei <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 2:15:11 AM UTC-4, Steve Coltrin wrote:
>>> begin fnord

>>> "Buddy, I get asked that a lot, but never before in the pluperfect
>>> subjunctive."
>>
>> There's a punchline I haven't heard in a while.
>>
>> pt
>
>A proper matron on the train to Boston and
>the planned purchase of scrod, are involved somehow,
>if I remember correctly.

I heard it as a tourist talking to a cabbie.

Peter Trei

Aug 17, 2017, 8:53:55 AM8/17/17
No, it doesn't.

Safire does quote a version of the joke in his 1983 'What's the Good Word?',
but it goes back well beyond that. I find it, for example, in
The American Folklore Newsletter, Volume 1, Issue 4, (1972).

pt

Joy Beeson

Aug 19, 2017, 1:19:09 PM8/19/17
On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 02:01:32 GMT, gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu (David
Goldfarb) wrote:

> It is, alas, pretty much completely dead. James Donald and company
> drove off everyone except themselves, and then they left. I still
> watch it, and so do Dorothy and Wasp, but it has long since lost the
> critical mass of participants needed to sustain a conversation.

Weird -- I was there at the time, and I don't recall any James Donald
being around. But Agent's filters hadn't expired yet, and I bought
Agent for the specific purpose of forgetting the existence of people
that I couldn't or shouldn't do anything about.

So I Google Grouped, and the argument I found did sound familiar, but
people are still engaging in it on other groups.

Rec.arts.sf.composition is still functional enough for
rec.arts.sf.written to use as a place to take off-topic discussions of
technique, the way r.a.sf.c used to use rec.arts.sf.misc. as a place
to cool off flame wars.

The flame wars always petered out instantly, but I think that that was
because people tend to stop flaming once they realize that they are
flaming, and people who regard flaming as an art form can't flame if
nobody flames back.

On a critique web site I monitor by way of its nntp mirror, I
sometimes see a productive conversation among two or three people, so
I think that a moved thread would drag along enough people to be a
critical mass for that one thread.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

David DeLaney

Aug 19, 2017, 4:12:46 PM8/19/17
On 2017-08-17, Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 11:41:48 PM UTC-6, Greg Goss wrote:
>> I didn't even know that we HAD an alternate-present subjunctive. All
>> the novels keep telling us that English isn't designed for time
>> travel.
>
> It isn't.

Well, not in the version that CURRENTLY exists now, no.

Dave, multidimensional jargon files and wikihistory

Gene Wirchenko

Aug 20, 2017, 11:29:12 PM8/20/17
On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 13:18:35 -0300, Joy Beeson
<jbe...@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

[snip]

>Weird -- I was there at the time, and I don't recall any James Donald
>being around. But Agent's filters hadn't expired yet, and I bought
>Agent for the specific purpose of forgetting the existence of people
>that I couldn't or shouldn't do anything about.

You were using expring filters? Likewise. There is a patch for
that. Here is the relevant message-id:
<<76ssbcdthqdhustaq...@4ax.com>.

[snip]

Sincerely,