OT: AI in SF and Fact

alal...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2016, 3:39:37 PM6/25/16
I remember reading one novel where simple machines became conscious and intelligent. This was mechanical computers. It did not seem very realistic.

After stagnation in the 20th century, the promise of AI has made some good progress in the last decade. There is no specialized hardware, it is in the software. But you could also say hardware, because it is the increased processing power coupled with memory capacity and storage capacity that has enabled progress.

Once you make one intelligent computer, you can simply copy its software to countless machines. So while the initial investment in AI is high, the marginal cost will be low. Once human like intelligence is achieved it will spread quickly. There is no reason these machines cant be networked and learn from each other. Also they will be able to quickly improve on their designs and design future versions of themselves.

Humans will need to interface with machines to gain from their computing power, and perhaps man and machine will merge.

Abhinav Lal
Writer & Investor

lal_truckee

Jun 26, 2016, 11:35:45 AM6/26/16
On 6/25/16 12:39 PM, alal...@gmail.com wrote:
> I remember reading one novel where simple machines became conscious and intelligent.

At the risk of posting on-topic, and all the tragic and comedic
circumstances that may derive therefrom, I cite Killdozer by Theodore
Sturgeon.

Don Bruder

Jun 26, 2016, 12:09:57 PM6/26/16
In article <nkosoe$b83$1...@dont-email.me>,
In the same vein, King's "Trucks" - movie-ized into the AC/DC-fueled
"Maximum Overdrive". (See it - but fergawdsake DON'T go in looking for
"highbrow entertainment" - That it ain't! Ultra-cheesy goodness does
abound on SO many levels, though! Enough to at last make it worth the
watch.)

Although, in all honesty, I don't recall the doings of Trucks/M.O.
involving much of anything I'd call "intelligence" - On the part of
either the machinery, OR the humans!

--
Brought to you by the letter Q and the number .357
Security provided by Horace S. & Dan W.

alal...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2016, 12:12:31 PM6/26/16
Which SF novel has the most realistic portrayal of AI and its impact on humanity?

lal_truckee

Jun 26, 2016, 3:07:18 PM6/26/16
On 6/26/16 9:12 AM, alal...@gmail.com wrote:
> Which SF novel has the most realistic portrayal of AI and its impact on humanity?
any of Banks' Culture story dabbles in the question.

least realistic (of serious efforts?)
Asimov Robot stories...

leif...@dimnakorr.com

Jun 26, 2016, 3:59:46 PM6/26/16
alal...@gmail.com wrote:

> Which SF novel has the most realistic portrayal of AI
> and its impact on humanity?

That remains to be seen.

--
Leif Roar Moldskred

Cryptoengineer

Jun 26, 2016, 6:29:57 PM6/26/16
lal_truckee <lal_t...@yahoo.com> wrote in
Nitpick:
Killdozer was not an AI story. The bulldozer acquires autonomy after
cracking open a ancient Polynesian tomb, from which *something* escapes
and posesses the machine. I can't recall if its clarified if the something
was an alien or a ghost/evil spirit.

pt

David DeLaney

Jun 27, 2016, 2:17:06 AM6/27/16
Not necessarily realistic but great fun to read: the Doc Future setting at
docfuture.tumblr.com ...

Dave
http://gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd/ -net.legends/Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

alal...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2016, 6:06:05 AM6/27/16
Perhaps the difference is between hard science fiction and soft science fiction. Hard SF is realistic, whereas soft SF takes leaps of imagination.

Didn't Asimov invent the three laws of robotics which are famous?

I agree with your assessment of Banks and Asimov - I am just trying to understand the reasons behind it.

Greg Goss

Jun 28, 2016, 10:54:45 PM6/28/16
or Maximum Overdrive. I've never read it, but when Steven King
invents a pseudonym for mass-produced lightweight stuff, it MUST be
lightweight.

Greg Goss

Jun 28, 2016, 11:02:06 PM6/28/16
It depends on where you think AI's going to go.

The various sequels to Stargate have people uploading themselves into
computers, and fully-aware personal assistants. The Humanoids (With
Folded Hands? I'm not sure which is the mainline story and which is
the sideline/sequel, or even if they're a rename) is another view.
The final story in Asimov's I Robot series where (spoilers) gur pvgl
cynaare NVf neenatr sbe gurve bja qrfgehpgvba, which theme was the
core of the move by that name.

In the fifties, people thought that if you kept adding circuitry you'd
end up with a brain, thus accidental awareness in Moon is a Harsh
Mistress and a bunch of other stories.

I don't know how reasonable it is to arrange something to have
variation and self-selection driving a single entity evolution, but I
liked The Adolescence of P-1.

Kevrob

Jun 29, 2016, 1:39:53 AM6/29/16
On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 10:54:45 PM UTC-4, Greg Goss wrote:
> lal_truckee <lal_t...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >On 6/25/16 12:39 PM, alal...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> I remember reading one novel where simple machines became conscious and intelligent.
> >
> >At the risk of posting on-topic, and all the tragic and comedic
> >circumstances that may derive therefrom, I cite Killdozer by Theodore
> >Sturgeon.
>
> or Maximum Overdrive. I've never read it, but when Steven King
> invents a pseudonym for mass-produced lightweight stuff, it MUST be
> lightweight.

The print story was "Trucks," published under King's name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trucks_(short_story)

Kevin R