Canada IN SPACE!

David Johnston

Jun 23, 2014, 11:56:30 PM6/23/14
I noticed while I was reading the Starfire novels that the Rim
Federation is Canada IN SPACE! Canada, that is, as of about the 30s and
40s. They are the rim colonists who chose not to follow their
pseudo-American fellows in what became the Terran Republic, still
officially claiming allegiance to the mother "country" while actually
being an autonomous state. I think that may be the only example of
Canada IN SPACE! ever.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 23, 2014, 11:57:47 PM6/23/14
In article <loastc$g44$1...@dont-email.me>,
Well, except for that cool arm on the ISS.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Moriarty

Jun 24, 2014, 12:11:34 AM6/24/14
On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:56:30 PM UTC+10, David Johnston wrote:
> I noticed while I was reading the Starfire novels that the Rim Federation is Canada IN SPACE! Canada, that is, as of about the 30s and 40s. They are the rim colonists who chose not to follow their pseudo-American fellows in what became the Terran Republic, still officially claiming allegiance to the mother "country" while actually being an autonomous state. I think that may be the only example of Canada IN SPACE! ever.

Ha! Canada has a space agency. What it does, I cannot say. But they do have one.

-Moriarty

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 24, 2014, 12:04:26 AM6/24/14
In article <n7nn0...@kithrup.com>,
Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:
>In article <loastc$g44$1...@dont-email.me>,
>David Johnston <Da...@block.net> wrote:
>>I noticed while I was reading the Starfire novels that the Rim
>>Federation is Canada IN SPACE! Canada, that is, as of about the 30s and
>>40s. They are the rim colonists who chose not to follow their
>>pseudo-American fellows in what became the Terran Republic, still
>>officially claiming allegiance to the mother "country" while actually
>>being an autonomous state. I think that may be the only example of
>>Canada IN SPACE! ever.
>
>Well, except for that cool arm on the ISS.

Oh, yes, and in _Quatermass and the Pit_ (the first, B&W version)
Dr. Rooney is a Canadian.

Robert A. Woodward

Jun 24, 2014, 1:42:21 AM6/24/14
In article <loastc$g44$1...@dont-email.me>,
David Johnston <Da...@block.net> wrote:

What about Julian May's Rampart Worlds trilogy (_Pegasus Spur_, et
al) where Toronto is the capital of interstellar empire?

--
Robert Woodward <robe...@drizzle.com>
<http://www.drizzle.com/~robertaw>

William George Ferguson

Jun 24, 2014, 3:27:57 AM6/24/14
On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 22:42:21 -0700, "Robert A. Woodward"
<robe...@drizzle.com> wrote:

>In article <loastc$g44$1...@dont-email.me>,
> David Johnston <Da...@block.net> wrote:
>
>> I noticed while I was reading the Starfire novels that the Rim
>> Federation is Canada IN SPACE! Canada, that is, as of about the 30s and
>> 40s. They are the rim colonists who chose not to follow their
>> pseudo-American fellows in what became the Terran Republic, still
>> officially claiming allegiance to the mother "country" while actually
>> being an autonomous state. I think that may be the only example of
>> Canada IN SPACE! ever.
>
>What about Julian May's Rampart Worlds trilogy (_Pegasus Spur_, et
>al) where Toronto is the capital of interstellar empire?

There are Elizabeth Bear's Jenny Casey books.

--
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Jack Bohn

Jun 24, 2014, 8:17:59 AM6/24/14
In one one of Jerry Pournell's science columns on delta-v, he mentions an argument that the Asteroid Belt wouldn't form a political union because from most places in the Belt it is easier to get somewhere in the inner system than somewhere else in the Belt, and adds an aside that that argument also disproves Canada. So there's something sf can build on.

--
-Jack

James Nicoll

Jun 24, 2014, 10:16:12 AM6/24/14
In article <f961f6fb-d0a6-4e6c...@googlegroups.com>,
There's a reason why one of the first big government projects in Canada
post-confederation was to build a major rail line across Canada. That said,
the majority of us live in one swath of land running from Windsor to Quebec
City, on something like 1% of our territory, which would be like a unified
Belt where six of ten people live in Ceres (I have no issue with settings
where population is very unevenly distributed, of course*).

If things had played out a little differently, I could easily see Canada
having gone the way of the West Indies Federation, which fell apart almost
immediately.

* Somewhere in the middle of the description of the planet the first Kresnov
novel is set I realized the author was probably Australian or Canadian.

--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
http://www.cafepress.com/jdnicoll (For all your "The problem with

William December Starr

Jun 24, 2014, 10:22:55 AM6/24/14

Jack Bohn <jack....@gmail.com> wrote:
>In one one of Jerry Pournell's science columns on delta-v, he mentions
>an argument that the Asteroid Belt wouldn't form a political union
>because from most places in the Belt it is easier to get somewhere in
>the inner system than somewhere else in the Belt, and adds an aside that
>that argument also disproves Canada. So there's something sf can build
>on.

There's a reason why one of the first big government projects in Canada
post-confederation was to build a major rail line across Canada. That said,
the majority of us live in one swath of land running from Windsor to Quebec
City, on something like 1% of our territory, which would be like a unified
Belt where six of ten people live in Ceres (I have no issue with settings
where population is very unevenly distributed, of course*).

If things had played out a little differently, I could easily see Canada
having gone the way of the West Indies Federation, which fell apart almost
immediately.

> * Somewhere in the middle of the description of the planet the
> first Kresnov novel is set I realized the author was probably
> Australian or Canadian.

Is it a near-iceball with an inhabitable strip at the equator?
That was the world in Lance Parkin's Doctor Who novel _Cold
Fusion_, and an Australian woman traveling with the Doctor noted
that it was just like Australia only turned inside-out.

(Topographically incorrect of course -- the planet had two discreteuninhabitable zones rather than Australia's one, but what the heck.)

William December Starr

Jun 24, 2014, 10:24:24 AM6/24/14
Aargh, same article as before, but this time I finish editing it
before hitting 'send':
-- wds

James Nicoll

Jun 24, 2014, 10:45:40 AM6/24/14
In article <loc1jv$dad$1...@panix2.panix.com>,
No, but there's one BIG city on the place and lots and lots of wilderness
people probably abstractly like but rarely visit.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jun 24, 2014, 12:57:52 PM6/24/14
On 2014-06-24 10:16:12 -0400, James Nicoll said:

> In article <f961f6fb-d0a6-4e6c...@googlegroups.com>,
> Jack Bohn <jack....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In one one of Jerry Pournell's science columns on delta-v, he mentions
>> an argument that the Asteroid Belt wouldn't form a political union
>> because from most places in the Belt it is easier to get somewhere in
>> the inner system than somewhere else in the Belt, and adds an aside that
>> that argument also disproves Canada. So there's something sf can build
>> on.
>
> There's a reason why one of the first big government projects in Canada
> post-confederation was to build a major rail line across Canada. That said,
> the majority of us live in one swath of land running from Windsor to Quebec
> City, on something like 1% of our territory, which would be like a unified
> Belt where six of ten people live in Ceres (I have no issue with settings
> where population is very unevenly distributed, of course*).

Something like 70% of the population of Turks & Caicos lives in the
town of Providenciales, which is at the far end of the archipelago from
the capital of Cockburn Town.

These things happen.

--
I'm serializing a new Ethshar novel!
The twenty-second chapter is online at:

James Nicoll

Jun 24, 2014, 1:12:20 PM6/24/14
In article <locamg$pk8$1...@dont-email.me>,
A place where the population was evenly spread would be pretty unusual,
I think, at least for anywhere bigger than a city-state.

Robert Carnegie

Jun 24, 2014, 3:24:46 PM6/24/14
On Tuesday, 24 June 2014 15:16:12 UTC+1, James Nicoll wrote:
> There's a reason why one of the first big government projects in Canada
> post-confederation was to build a major rail line across Canada. That said,
> the majority of us live in one swath of land running from Windsor to Quebec
> City, on something like 1% of our territory, which would be like a unified
> Belt where six of ten people live in Ceres (I have no issue with settings
> where population is very unevenly distributed, of course*).
>
> If things had played out a little differently, I could easily see Canada
> having gone the way of the West Indies Federation, which fell apart almost
> immediately.
>
> * Somewhere in the middle of the description of the planet the first Kresnov
> novel is set I realized the author was probably Australian or Canadian.

This isn't quite the same thing as a planet with just one
built-up area, I suppose - that's Settlertown, or where the
working spaceport or the stargate is - maybe a modest safe
distance from the actual town.

Then again, apparently people in London (England) fantasise
about seceding from the rest of the country. Like Washington D.C.
did, I suppose.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jun 24, 2014, 4:00:25 PM6/24/14
On 2014-06-24 15:24:46 -0400, Robert Carnegie said:

> This isn't quite the same thing as a planet with just one
> built-up area, I suppose - that's Settlertown, or where the
> working spaceport or the stargate is - maybe a modest safe
> distance from the actual town.
>
> Then again, apparently people in London (England) fantasise
> about seceding from the rest of the country. Like Washington D.C.
> did, I suppose.

Washington DC didn't secede; it was kicked out. And its inhabitants at
the time, the residents of Georgetown, MD and Alexandria, VA were
pretty pissed about it. Virginia later reclaimed their part, while
Maryland didn't, so Alexandria is once again a city in Virginia, while
Georgetown is a neighborhood in Washington.

David DeLaney

Jun 24, 2014, 6:01:22 PM6/24/14
On 2014-06-24, William December Starr <wds...@panix.com> wrote:
> Is it a near-iceball with an inhabitable strip at the equator?
> That was the world in Lance Parkin's Doctor Who novel _Cold
> Fusion_, and an Australian woman traveling with the Doctor noted
> that it was just like Australia only turned inside-out.
>
> (Topographically incorrect of course -- the planet had two discrete
> uninhabitable zones rather than Australia's one, but what the heck.)

Well, technically it IS possible that Australia has two and it's just that
nobody's ever managed to find the other one...

Dave, it might be some ways under Uluru for example

Robert Carnegie

Jun 25, 2014, 2:31:45 AM6/25/14
On Tuesday, 24 June 2014 23:01:22 UTC+1, David DeLaney wrote:
> On 2014-06-24, William December Starr <wds...@panix.com> wrote:
> > Is it a near-iceball with an inhabitable strip at the equator?
> > That was the world in Lance Parkin's Doctor Who novel _Cold
> > Fusion_, and an Australian woman traveling with the Doctor noted
> > that it was just like Australia only turned inside-out.
> >
> > (Topographically incorrect of course -- the planet had two discrete
> > uninhabitable zones rather than Australia's one, but what the heck.)
>
> Well, technically it IS possible that Australia has two and it's just that
> nobody's ever managed to find the other one...
>
> Dave, it might be some ways under Uluru for example

I expect no one is living on the underside of Australia,
but, flipping it up to look underseath is quite a project.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jun 25, 2014, 7:24:39 AM6/25/14
Dear GOD why would you want to turn over THAT rock, when things like
funnelweb spiders are already on TOP?

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Alan Baker

Jun 25, 2014, 1:35:08 PM6/25/14
And if you ever find out, we'll have to kill you...

;-)

Gary R. Schmidt

Jun 25, 2014, 11:22:47 PM6/25/14
Oi! Don't you go bein' disrespectful of our arachnid co-inhabitants!!
(And it's only the Eastern Funnel-Web, what lives in Sydney[1], that is
a notably deadly Funnel-Web, the Southern Funnel-Web, of whom some live
in the joints of my veranda frame, is quite harmless - well, *almost*
harmless!! :-) )

Cheers,
Gary B-)

1 - Nothing, and no-one, of any consequence lives in Sydney, so they are
welcome to them!! :-)

--
When men talk to their friends, they insult each other.
They don't really mean it.

Jessica

Jun 26, 2014, 12:24:33 AM6/26/14
On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 21:11:34 -0700, Moriarty wrote:

> Ha! Canada has a space agency. What it does, I cannot say. But they do
> have one.

Besides producing singing astronauts and providing a second career for
retired Army Generals, you mean?

Brian M. Scott

Jun 26, 2014, 5:09:02 AM6/26/14
On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 14:16:12 +0000 (UTC), James Nicoll
<jdni...@panix.com> wrote in
<news:loc17c$mjs$1...@reader1.panix.com> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

[...]

> * Somewhere in the middle of the description of the planet
> the first Kresnov novel is set I realized the author was
> probably Australian or Canadian.

And the description of the city of Tanusha and its
inhabitants strongly points towards the correct answer
(Australian).

Brian
--
It was the neap tide, when the baga venture out of their
holes to root for sandtatties. The waves whispered

William December Starr

Jun 27, 2014, 11:55:06 AM6/27/14
In article <a9gs7b-...@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>,
"Gary R. Schmidt" <grsc...@acm.org> said:

> (And it's only the Eastern Funnel-Web, what lives in Sydney[1],
> that is a notably deadly Funnel-Web, the Southern Funnel-Web, of
> whom some live in the joints of my veranda frame, is quite
> harmless - well, *almost* harmless!! :-) )

Reminds me of the bit in _Cryptonomicon_ where, filling time at a
business/investors/conspirators' meeting while two members were out
of the room, one character helpfully informed the rest about two
related types of local (Philippines) lizard. Approximately:

"The $NAME kind is five feet long and mauve and are perfectly
safe, while the $OTHERNAMEs are six feet long and pink and will
eat you."

Only of course because it was Neal Stephenson dialogue it was
somewhat more elegant and humorous.

-- wds

Walter Bushell

Jun 30, 2014, 12:25:49 PM6/30/14
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> If things had played out a little differently, I could easily see Canada
> having gone the way of the West Indies Federation, which fell apart almost
> immediately.

But Canadians recognized early that dissolution would lead to the
parts being assimilated into the US.

--
Never attribute to stupidity that which can be explained by greed. Me.

Gene Wirchenko

Jul 1, 2014, 8:17:56 PM7/1/14
On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 12:25:49 -0400, Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com>
wrote:

>In article <loc17c$mjs$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
> jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

>> If things had played out a little differently, I could easily see Canada
>> having gone the way of the West Indies Federation, which fell apart almost
>> immediately.
>
>But Canadians recognized early that dissolution would lead to the
>parts being assimilated into the US.

I have sometimes wondered what the USA would do with Quebec.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jul 2, 2014, 2:06:46 AM7/2/14
Trade it for three Caribbean islands and a territory to be named later.

J. Clarke

Jul 2, 2014, 8:25:44 AM7/2/14
In article <lp07hm$cjj$2...@dont-email.me>, l...@sff.net says...

> On 2014-07-01 20:17:56 -0400, Gene Wirchenko said:
>
> > On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 12:25:49 -0400, Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com>
> > wrote:

> >> But Canadians recognized early that dissolution would lead to the
> >> parts being assimilated into the US.
> >
> > I have sometimes wondered what the USA would do with Quebec.
>
> Trade it for three Caribbean islands and a territory to be named later.

A fitting fate would be to donate it to France and listen to the
Language Nazis scream as the French taught them how to speak the
language.

Quadibloc

Jul 2, 2014, 8:46:38 AM7/2/14
On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:24:33 PM UTC-6, Jessica wrote:

> Besides producing singing astronauts and providing a second career for
> retired Army Generals, you mean?

He doesn't just _sing_. Anyone can do that! He also *plays the guitar*. Now, that took hard work and practice. And that on top of all the hard work, practice, and training that made him a successful tactical fighter pilot and test pilot, giving him the opportunity to become an astronaut.

John Savard

Quadibloc

Jul 2, 2014, 8:49:03 AM7/2/14
On Monday, June 30, 2014 10:25:49 AM UTC-6, Walter Bushell wrote:

> But Canadians recognized early that dissolution would lead to the
> parts being assimilated into the US.

And no doubt, at least early on, our love and loyalty to the Crown made that fate seem distasteful. Today, though, while Quebec and Ontario each have their reasons to want to avoid that, the rest of Canada tends to see the country, at least in economic terms, as a con game for the benefit of Central Canada.

John Savard

Greg Goss

Jul 2, 2014, 3:43:43 PM7/2/14
There are two tiny islands just off Canada that still belong to
France. It would be an interesting exercise to annex Quebec (600,000
square miles) to these two islands (93 square miles)

I always thought that they were in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. I'm not
sure whether there are other islands I was confusing them with. Off
by Newfoundland, they're not so "obviously" related to Quebec, so you
can ignore this post entirely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Pierre_and_Miquelon

Lynn McGuire

Jul 2, 2014, 3:52:37 PM7/2/14
The same that the USA does with New Orleans.

Lynn

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jul 2, 2014, 4:17:23 PM7/2/14
On 2014-07-02 15:52:37 -0400, Lynn McGuire said:

> On 7/1/2014 7:17 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 12:25:49 -0400, Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com>
>> wrote:

>>> But Canadians recognized early that dissolution would lead to the
>>> parts being assimilated into the US.
>>
>> I have sometimes wondered what the USA would do with Quebec.
>
> The same that the USA does with New Orleans.

They're not really as comparable as one might think.

Lynn McGuire

Jul 2, 2014, 4:35:19 PM7/2/14
On 7/2/2014 3:17 PM, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> On 2014-07-02 15:52:37 -0400, Lynn McGuire said:
>
>> On 7/1/2014 7:17 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

>>> I have sometimes wondered what the USA would do with Quebec.
>>
>> The same that the USA does with New Orleans.
>
> They're not really as comparable as one might think.

Yup, one is bloody hot and the other is bloody cold.

Lynn

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jul 2, 2014, 5:17:34 PM7/2/14
Yeah, and one is obsessed with retaining its French identity while the
other doesn't give a crap, they just speak what they speak.

James Silverton

Jul 2, 2014, 5:59:16 PM7/2/14
Ah! I remember them from childhood stamp collecting days. I wonder the
French they speak there sounds like?

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Tim McDaniel

Jul 2, 2014, 6:19:04 PM7/2/14
In article <lof18c$hiv$3...@news.datemas.de>,
>And if you ever find out, we'll have to kill you...

No -- if you ever find out, we'll be, not angry, but very disappointed.

--
Tim McDaniel, tm...@panix.com

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Jul 2, 2014, 6:27:06 PM7/2/14
On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 04:24:33 +0000 (UTC), Jessica <m...@privacy.net>
wrote:
Chris Hadfield's autobiog _An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth_ is a
fascinating read for anyone who was ever into the whole "being an
astronaut" idea, or is writing anything about trainee space aces.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Ford carried on counting quietly. This is about the most aggressive thing
you can do to a computer, the equivalent of going up to a human being and

Greg Goss

Jul 2, 2014, 6:34:25 PM7/2/14
Lynn McGuire <l...@winsim.com> wrote:
>On 7/1/2014 7:17 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 12:25:49 -0400, Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com>

>>> But Canadians recognized early that dissolution would lead to the
>>> parts being assimilated into the US.
>>
>> I have sometimes wondered what the USA would do with Quebec.
>
>The same that the USA does with New Orleans.

France uses a slightly different legal theory and system developed
from that theory than England does. Canada uses a merged system
that's primarily "British Common Law" but Quebec retains some elements
of "Napoleonic Law". I'm uncertain of the details, but because of
this, three members of our 9-member Supreme Court must always be from
Quebec.

Does Louisiana and other French-descended jurisdictions in the States
retain any of the Napoleonic law structure?

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jul 2, 2014, 7:06:06 PM7/2/14
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote in
It came from commons ources, apparently, mainly Spanish and Roman. Or
so Wikipedia says.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Louisiana

Note, however, that the differences are almost entirely in the civil
code, as criminal codes must comply with the federal constitution.

--
Terry Austin

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jul 2, 2014, 7:23:01 PM7/2/14
In article <XnsA35EA3CBD54...@69.16.179.42>,
And I don't know if you'd call it a "law structure" (except that
some law does operate at this level), but the state is broken into
parishes instead of counties as most (all?) other states are.
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Cryptoengineer

Jul 2, 2014, 8:19:27 PM7/2/14
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote in
>
>> Lynn McGuire <l...@winsim.com> wrote:

>>>The same that the USA does with New Orleans.
>>
>> France uses a slightly different legal theory and system
>> developed from that theory than England does. Canada uses a
>> merged system that's primarily "British Common Law" but Quebec
>> retains some elements of "Napoleonic Law". I'm uncertain of the
>> details, but because of this, three members of our 9-member
>> Supreme Court must always be from Quebec.
>>
>> Does Louisiana and other French-descended jurisdictions in the
>> States retain any of the Napoleonic law structure?
>
> It came from commons ources, apparently, mainly Spanish and Roman. Or
> so Wikipedia says.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Louisiana
>
> Note, however, that the differences are almost entirely in the civil
> code, as criminal codes must comply with the federal constitution.

I recall this becoming a (minor) plot point in 'A Streetcar Named
Desire'.

pt

J. Clarke

Jul 2, 2014, 8:56:40 PM7/2/14
In article <lp1qe8$j0j$1...@dont-email.me>, l...@winsim.com says...
You've never taken the stairs from Lower Quebec to Upper Quebec in
August . . .

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jul 3, 2014, 11:54:34 AM7/3/14
Cryptoengineer <treif...@gmail.com> wrote in
There is a quote from said movie that is common among explanations
of the differences, in fact.

Quadibloc

Jul 3, 2014, 3:06:52 PM7/3/14
On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 5:06:06 PM UTC-6, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:

> Note, however, that the differences are almost entirely in the civil
> code, as criminal codes must comply with the federal constitution.

In Canada, the criminal code is Federal, and only the civil code is given to the legislators of the provinces, and so the end result is much the same in Quebec as it is in New Orleans.

John Savard

T Guy

Jul 9, 2014, 8:48:13 AM7/9/14
On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:24:46 PM UTC+1, Robert Carnegie wrote:

> Then again, apparently people in London (England) fantasise
> about seceding from the rest of the country. Like Washington D.C.
> did, I suppose.

Cite, please.

I thought I was the only one.

Robert Carnegie

Jul 9, 2014, 2:39:36 PM7/9/14
Well, this. <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03zb7dr>
(which you can't actually listen to there)
"The year is 2030. What began as a whimsical notion, floated
in the long aftermath of the banking crisis, has gathered steam
as London powered ahead and the rest of Britain remained in
perma-austerity. The campaign to break London and the southeast
away from the rest of Britain has triumphed - like Singapore,
London is now an independent city-state." [more at site]

"First broadcast: Tuesday 01 April 2014" - well.........