Call of the Wyld (vaguely YASIDish)

Jesper Lauridsen

Apr 26, 2016, 1:39:37 PM4/26/16
In Berlin I saw posters for an (allegedly) SFnal show "The Wyld".
http://www.palast.berlin/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/FSP_Visual_THE_WYLD_2015-12_EN_web.jpg

I have a vague feeling that I've read something with an alien race known
by that name, but that's as far as I got. Maybe I'm just conflating it with
Pratchett's _Wyrd Sisters_.

Peter Trei

Apr 26, 2016, 2:01:23 PM4/26/16
I'm not aware of any work or aliens by that name. To a native English speaker,
it looks like a fake 'olde' alternative spelling of 'wild'.

pt

David Johnston

Apr 26, 2016, 2:08:11 PM4/26/16

Brian M. Scott

Apr 26, 2016, 2:56:32 PM4/26/16
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 11:01:20 -0700 (PDT), Peter Trei
<pete...@gmail.com> wrote
in<news:919d4732-a1ad-4b4f...@googlegroups.com>
in rec.arts.sf.written:
Not fake: the OED shows it as having been in use from
Middle English into the 1600s, and <wylde> from ME into the
1500s. That said, it is also precisely the sort of
spelling that people are likely to produce when they
attempt to archaize without knowing what they’re doing.

Brian
--
It was the neap tide, when the baga venture out of their
holes to root for sandtatties. The waves whispered

Kevrob

Apr 26, 2016, 6:18:36 PM4/26/16
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 1:39:37 PM UTC-4, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:
Funny, you don't look YASIDish....

Kevin R

Robert Carnegie

Apr 26, 2016, 10:20:22 PM4/26/16
Or werewolves and such living either amongst us in urban fantasy
or, alternatively, not. Or the "Wild Hunt".

A pair of anthologies about that sort of person used "The Weerde"
as title. Google tells me that Weerde is a village in Belgium.
I don't remember if the stories addressed this.

There are so many alien races... and when they pick their name
out on a terrestrial keyboard, no one may have told them which
symbols are vowels, are consonants, and are punctuation-marks.

I suppose that like some migrants on present-day Earth, they
could alternatively pick an unrelated local name to use when
communicating with the local community, but then we'd find
ourselves in a first-contact situation with the Gordon.

I once knew a Chinese student who was called Gordon because
it was simply easier for everyone concerned, including in
school records.

Somewhat less relevantly, I think it was years before I learned
that a work colleague's actual given name was Robert - which is
also mine and perhaps others at the time - because he had decided
that it would lead to unwanted confusion, so he suppressed it.
He may have had other reasons and it's also likely that I wasn't
particularly paying attention in this area when he joined.

Aliens whose name is also that of a community on Earth -
like the Weerde - are another curious category: either an
author is choosing to be frank about his source of inspiration,
or it may be coincidence. Would this include the Romulans?

Kevrob

Apr 26, 2016, 11:57:59 PM4/26/16
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 10:20:22 PM UTC-4, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 April 2016 18:39:37 UTC+1, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:
> > In Berlin I saw posters for an (allegedly) SFnal show "The Wyld".
> > http://www.palast.berlin/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/FSP_Visual_THE_WYLD_2015-12_EN_web.jpg
> >
> > I have a vague feeling that I've read something with an alien race known
> > by that name, but that's as far as I got. Maybe I'm just conflating it with
> > Pratchett's _Wyrd Sisters_.
>
> Or werewolves and such living either amongst us in urban fantasy
> or, alternatively, not. Or the "Wild Hunt".
>
> A pair of anthologies about that sort of person used "The Weerde"
> as title. Google tells me that Weerde is a village in Belgium.
> I don't remember if the stories addressed this.
>
> There are so many alien races... and when they pick their name
> out on a terrestrial keyboard, no one may have told them which
> symbols are vowels, are consonants, and are punctuation-marks.
>
> I suppose that like some migrants on present-day Earth, they
> could alternatively pick an unrelated local name to use when
> communicating with the local community, but then we'd find
> ourselves in a first-contact situation with the Gordon.
>
> I once knew a Chinese student who was called Gordon because
> it was simply easier for everyone concerned, including in
> school records.

A pun of some sort?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Gordon

> Somewhat less relevantly, I think it was years before I learned
> that a work colleague's actual given name was Robert - which is
> also mine and perhaps others at the time - because he had decided
> that it would lead to unwanted confusion, so he suppressed it.
> He may have had other reasons and it's also likely that I wasn't
> particularly paying attention in this area when he joined.
>
> Aliens whose name is also that of a community on Earth -
> like the Weerde - are another curious category: either an
> author is choosing to be frank about his source of inspiration,
> or it may be coincidence. Would this include the Romulans?

Memory Alpha says....

[quote]

In some Star Trek novels, Romulus was called ch'Rihan and Remus
was ch'Havran, and the Romulans were the Rihannsu (all of which
being their names in the Romulan language).

[/quote]

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Romulus

Any trekkers know the official, official names?

Kevin R

Brian M. Scott

Apr 27, 2016, 9:47:12 AM4/27/16
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 19:20:19 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
<rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote
in<news:c72df4fc-410b-4d1d...@googlegroups.com>
in rec.arts.sf.written:

[...]

> A pair of anthologies about that sort of person used "The
> Weerde" as title. Google tells me that Weerde is a
> village in Belgium.

The earliest recorded form of whose name is <Wert>, a
Frankish word for a ford (in this case in the river Zenne).

[...]

Greg Goss

Apr 27, 2016, 11:23:49 PM4/27/16
Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 10:20:22 PM UTC-4, Robert Carnegie wrote:

>> I suppose that like some migrants on present-day Earth, they
>> could alternatively pick an unrelated local name to use when
>> communicating with the local community, but then we'd find
>> ourselves in a first-contact situation with the Gordon.
>>
>> I once knew a Chinese student who was called Gordon because
>> it was simply easier for everyone concerned, including in
>> school records.
>>

>A pun of some sort?
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Gordon

I've spent a LOT of time with Hong Kong Cantonese in the early
nineties. It was traditional as part of learning English in Hong Kong
to select an "English" name to use with anyone you might be speaking
English to. Sometimes that name would resemble the original name (I
work with a "Julie" but have to make out the payroll cheque to Zhu
Lau"). but usually wouldn't.

At that time, I worked for a moving company that specialized in
handling immigrating people from Hong Kong. For a while, we had a
contract for Taiwan immigrants, but dropped it.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Apr 29, 2016, 6:17:03 PM4/29/16
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 21:23:38 -0600, Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:

>Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 10:20:22 PM UTC-4, Robert Carnegie wrote:
>
>>> I suppose that like some migrants on present-day Earth, they
>>> could alternatively pick an unrelated local name to use when
>>> communicating with the local community, but then we'd find
>>> ourselves in a first-contact situation with the Gordon.
>>>
>>> I once knew a Chinese student who was called Gordon because
>>> it was simply easier for everyone concerned, including in
>>> school records.
>>
>>A pun of some sort?
>>
>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Gordon
>
>I've spent a LOT of time with Hong Kong Cantonese in the early
>nineties. It was traditional as part of learning English in Hong Kong
>to select an "English" name to use with anyone you might be speaking
>English to. Sometimes that name would resemble the original name (I
>work with a "Julie" but have to make out the payroll cheque to Zhu
>Lau"). but usually wouldn't.

It's not just in Hong Kong. My daughter-in-law is from Hangzhou, and
goes by "Cathy." Her real name is Li Qing.

---

Robert Carnegie

Apr 29, 2016, 9:09:19 PM4/29/16
Of course Romulus and Remus are the legendary founders
of terrestrial Rome, in a Cain-and-Abel sort of way,
i.e. - now, is that a spoiler? (For Roman mythical
history and/or the bible.)

I'd seen somewhere - and Google Books has presented it
to me in _Rihannsu: The Bloodwing Voyages_ - a fictional
identification of the Romulan homeworlds as "Romus and
Remus", attributed to someone with a strictly limited
classical education, which I thought might be in fact
Gene Roddenberry - although not because he wasn't aware
of the correct name, but because he liked his version
better (e.g. Uhura). So, if they showed a "chart"
in the television episode with Romus and Remus - which
I haven't checked (and which they might have fixed
when "Remastering" the repeats which actually are
just about getting around to that one this week).

It seems a slightly odd thing to invent separately for
a spin-off novel, but I suppose that sci-fi writers are
in the business of inventing slightly odd things.

Pressing the point with Google without invoking
Star Trek, it appears from some other Google Books
references that some academics over the years have
proposed that there was an ancient confusion over
whether Rome was founded by one or more legendary
persons named Romulus, Rhomus, and Remus, some or
all of whom may be misspellings of the same person,
with the dispute being resolved in a version of
the myth in which there are two founders and then...
there aren't.

I am not sure whether this is to be taken more or
less seriously than the proposition that all the works
of Shakespeare were actually written by someone else.
In Klingon. (There's yet another one this anniversary year,
minus the Klingon element although it has been mentioned.)

Gene Wirchenko

May 1, 2016, 6:47:50 PM5/1/16
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 18:17:02 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net>
wrote:

[snip]

>It's not just in Hong Kong. My daughter-in-law is from Hangzhou, and
>goes by "Cathy." Her real name is Li Qing.

It can cut both ways. My Chinese name is "Chen Jin Bai" which is
derived from my birth name.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Lawrence Watt-Evans

May 2, 2016, 12:00:58 AM5/2/16
On Sun, 01 May 2016 15:47:47 -0700, Gene Wirchenko <ge...@telus.net>
wrote:
Sure, and my son's legal name in Chinese is Li Ben Hu, which has
nothing to do with his English name, but derives from a pet name his
wife gave him. Some people call him "Jiu Lian," though, from
"Julian."

My daughter went by Ki Li when she lived in China, from her nickname
"Kiri."

Peter Trei

May 2, 2016, 11:09:45 AM5/2/16
On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 12:00:58 AM UTC-4, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> On Sun, 01 May 2016 15:47:47 -0700, Gene Wirchenko <ge...@telus.net>
> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 18:17:02 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net>
> >wrote:
> >
> >[snip]
> >
> >>It's not just in Hong Kong. My daughter-in-law is from Hangzhou, and
> >>goes by "Cathy." Her real name is Li Qing.
> >
> > It can cut both ways. My Chinese name is "Chen Jin Bai" which is
> >derived from my birth name.
>
> Sure, and my son's legal name in Chinese is Li Ben Hu, which has
> nothing to do with his English name, but derives from a pet name his
> wife gave him. Some people call him "Jiu Lian," though, from
> "Julian."
>
> My daughter went by Ki Li when she lived in China, from her nickname
> "Kiri."

Interesting. I knew many Asians adopted nom-de-convenience for dealing with
Westerners, but not that it went the other way too.

Did she have a chop made, and with which name?

pt

Lawrence Watt-Evans

May 2, 2016, 11:36:52 AM5/2/16
To the best of my knowledge she did not.