Liz Williams's Inspector Chen series - more books exist than expected!

Jaimie Vandenbergh

May 20, 2018, 6:47:28 AM5/20/18
A few years ago someone here sold me on the concept of Liz William's
_Inspector Chen_ series by mentioning the badger that is sometimes a
tea-kettle. I immediately went out and bought the three books I could
find, loved them, and then they went on the shelf.

_Snake Agent_
_The Demon and the City_
_Precious Dragon_

Just recently I saw something about badgers, and went for a re-read.
Still great fun! And even better, there are now books four and five!

_The Shadow Pavilion_
_The Iron Khan_

Available at the usual suspects, links via and published by
https://openroadmedia.com/search/liz%20williams

Book Five ends with... not a cliffhanger as the novel's own story is
resolved, but the protagonist group arc has Places To Go, Right Now.

But book six was nowhere to be found. I did some diving through Liz's
not-updated-much web presence, where it appears that she had sucky
publisher problems and had to self-sell _Morningstar_. For your ease of
use, it's available for £10 ($13ish) from her blogpost in 2014,
https://mevennen.livejournal.com/935513.html

She also sells annual subscriptions to a short story a month (well,
three a quarter, close enough), of which a third are more Chen stories.
I chatted to Liz by email after ordering _Morningstar_ and there are
*seven years* of these subs in the backlog that are available. It's not
particularly easy to find them sensibly in the LJ blog, I just used the
same one several times and confirmed what I was doing by email. Her
email is the LJ name at hotmail dot com, from her own site.

During which conversation she mentioned there's an Inspector Chen book
zero, _A Thousand Li_, the tale of how Chen met Inari. Also £10.

So I am now pleasantly swamped in new Liz Williams stories, which is an
excellent result. Unfortunately I am now also back from holiday so it'll
take me an age to read them all, but nothing new there...

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Real Daleks don't climb the stairs - real Daleks level the building.