How Long Does a Day Last on Saturn?

The Starmaker

Jul 25, 2017, 2:13:59 PM7/25/17
How long does a Day last on Saturn?

no hints.

The Starmaker

Jul 25, 2017, 4:40:24 PM7/25/17
Double-A wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 11:14:00 AM UTC-7, The Starmaker wrote:
> > How long does a Day last on Saturn?
> >
> > no hints.
>
> Until the Sun goes down.
>
> Double-A

okay, you need a hint..(i forgot there are 'scientists' in these groups who need help)

Day;
the time between sunrise and sunset

Gerald Kelleher

Jul 25, 2017, 4:54:54 PM7/25/17
Day = sunrise to sunset

Night = sunset to sunrise

One day/night cycle = one weekday

Now somehow the scientists managed to believe there are more rotations than day/night cycles -

" It is a fact not generally known that,owing to the difference between solar and sidereal time,the Earth rotates upon its axis once more often than there are days in the year" NASA /Harvard

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 25, 2017, 5:30:11 PM7/25/17
In article <802c8775-207f-484a...@googlegroups.com>,
Google is your friend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn

Sidereal rotation period: 10.55 hours (10 hours 33 minutes)

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Gerald Kelleher

Jul 25, 2017, 5:47:10 PM7/25/17
You are not in Kansas anymore Dorothy

There is just the day/night cycle on Earth, you can say sunrise to sunrise is one cycle or indeed sunset to sunset, noon to noon or midnight to midnight. The 24 hour system is based on midnight to midnight and it represents one rotation of the planet otherwise known as Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and so on.

Now ,when the Sun comes into the view tomorrow morning followed by the stars after sunset you might get romantic and wonder what causes this spectacle . If ever you like science fact as opposed to science fiction then you can ask me how the entire timekeeping system was put together where one rotation is equal to one 24 hour weekday.

Peter Trei

Jul 25, 2017, 5:56:43 PM7/25/17
Not quite.

Saturn does not rotate as a solid object. It has different periods at
different latitudes, and even the magnetic field, which you'd expect to
be tied to a solid core (if any) displays variation over time.

https://www.universetoday.com/24164/rotation-of-saturn/

Geralds wierdness just goes out the window.

pt

Gerald Kelleher

Jul 25, 2017, 6:19:22 PM7/25/17
Considering I am the one explaining that sunrise to sunrise or any other variation on that theme is one day/night cycle and also one rotation, how dumb do you have to be in order to believe it isn't ?. Well it turns out there are a lot of dumb people out there including the nuisance who strays over to the astronomy forum -

https://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/JennyChen.shtml

" It is a fact not generally known that,owing to the difference between solar and sidereal time,the Earth rotates upon its axis once more often than there are days in the year" NASA /Harvard

Cruel regimes come and go but Royal Society empiricism on which that mindnumbingly dumb conclusion is based is a genuine and actual dystopia. Considering the nuisance who brought me to this forum it is no surprise to discover the same intellectual mediocrity that scrawls on my threads in the astronomy forum.

David Johnston

Jul 25, 2017, 8:35:06 PM7/25/17
There is no point in answering those stupid questions. Or even reading them.

The Starmaker

Jul 26, 2017, 12:03:45 AM7/26/17
pnal...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 1:40:23 PM UTC-7, The Starmaker wrote:
>
> > Day;
> > the time between sunrise and sunset
>
> Well now, *you* are changing the definition of a day. From here...
>
> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/day
>
> ... we find the following;
>
> "astronomy: the period of rotation of a planet (such as earth) or a moon on its axis"
>
> Talking about the amount of time between sunrise and sunset is pretty much worthless for either a planet or a moon. This is because it depends on what latitude you are referencing. The amount of 'daytime' at the equator of a body is very different than the amount of 'daytime' at the pole, especially if the body's axial inclination is much greater than zero, and almost all known bodies in the solar system have inclinations substantially different than zero.
>
> A much more realistic question would be "what is the rotational period of Saturn?", and I have already supplied a link that explains that in some detail.

I didn't change the definition: It reads number 1: the time between
sunrise and sunset

Day | Definition of Day by Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/day
1 : the time between sunrise and sunset : daylight.

https://www.google.com/search?q=define++++day&cad=h

I had no idea 'your people' haven't yet figured out what a ..."Day" is
yet.

I guess asking, How Long Does a Day Last on Saturn? is too tough a
question to ask...scientist.

Is Day a theory?

The Starmaker

Jul 26, 2017, 12:55:20 AM7/26/17
The Starmaker wrote:

> pnal...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > I didn't change the definition: It reads number 1: the time between
> > > sunrise and sunset
> > >
> > > Day | Definition of Day by Merriam-Webster
> > > https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/day
> > > 1 : the time between sunrise and sunset : daylight.
> >
> > Well, when I go to this link, *your* link, I find this...
> >
> > Definition of day
> > 1
> > a : the time of light between one night and the next : the shortest day of the year
> > b : 'daylight' 1 woke up at the break of day
> > c : 'daytime' sleeps during the day and works at night
> > 2
> > astronomy : the period of rotation of a planet (such as earth) or a moon on its axis the length of one day on Mars
> > 3
> > : the mean solar day of 24 hours beginning at midnight by mean time open seven days a week the first day of every month : Take one pill two times a day.
> >
> > > https://www.google.com/search?q=define++++day&cad=h
> >
> > Well, that's funny, when I go to this link, the one *you* supplied, I find THIS;
>
> You need to look at the first one containing a link: by Merriam-Webster , not Google's insert of their own search engine.
>
> Day | Definition of Day by Merriam-Webster
> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/day
> 1 : the time between sunrise and sunset : daylight. 2 : the time a planet or moon takes to make one turn on its axis A day on earth lasts 24 hours.

okay, it looks like nobody knows how long is a day on Saturn...

it also appears know one knows what a Day is....

Is there *anything* that Yous do know????

Just name ONE thing that you Do know!

and you want a billion dollars to tells us what you Thought is not what you Thought.

Gerald Kelleher

Jul 26, 2017, 1:00:03 AM7/26/17
On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 5:03:45 AM UTC+1, The Starmaker wrote:
> pnal...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 1:40:23 PM UTC-7, The Starmaker wrote:
> >
> > > Day;
> > > the time between sunrise and sunset
> >
> > Well now, *you* are changing the definition of a day. From here...
> >
> > https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/day
> >
> > ... we find the following;
> >
> > "astronomy: the period of rotation of a planet (such as earth) or a moon on its axis"

What person, in possession of their senses, imagine the moon rotates !!!!!!.

Walk around an object with an outstretched arm pointing constantly at the object and this is why we see the same side of the moon at all times. During a lunar orbit of the Earth the moon doesn't spin/rotate/revolve, it just moves around the Earth like a car around a roundabout.

"The Sun and the Earth rotate on their own axes...The purpose of this
motion is to confer motion on the planets located around them;on the
six primary planets in the case of the Sun,and on the moon in the case
of the Earth.On the other hand the moon does not rotate on the axis of
its own body,as its spots prove " Kepler

Even you Starmaker,even you, dear oh dear.

art...@yahoo.com

Jul 29, 2017, 2:25:21 PM7/29/17
On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 2:13:59 PM UTC-4, The Starmaker wrote:
> How long does a Day last on Saturn?
>
> no hints.

On Venus, the day is longer than the year, which makes birthdays quite interesting. Ob SF, All Summer in a Day, by Ray Bradbury.

David DeLaney

Jul 30, 2017, 7:11:08 AM7/30/17
On 2017-07-26, Gerald Kelleher <kellehe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Walk around an object with an outstretched arm pointing constantly at the
> object and this is why we see the same side of the moon at all times. During
> a lunar orbit of the Earth the moon doesn't spin/rotate/revolve, it just
> moves around the Earth like a car around a roundabout.

The sad thing about Gerald, as I remember vividly from his last r.a.sf.w
crossover several years back? Is that he honestly is -unable- to see that
both the walking person, and the car taking the roundabout, turn all the way
around once, for each time they go around. Explanations wash over him and leave
him dry; he absorbs nothing, but just keeps stating things that mean exactly
the opposite of what he's trying to mean.

[For anyone who's NOT Gerald - GK, stop reading here, it'll only get you mad
again - think about what the person walking around & pointing, that way, sees,
and what the car's driver sees through the windshield. Each of them has their
gaze go across the surrounding scenery, all the way around, once, each time
they walk/drive around; relative to the object/the center of the roundabout,
they always show the same side. Relative to the background, which is what's
relevant here, they turn around exactly once. GK can't make the connection
that there's two different frames of reference here, and can't see that "how
often it turns in the rotating frame [*]" is different from "how often it turns
in the fixed-background frame" ... and waves away any effort, no matter how
simple, to get it into his head, because he Knows He's Right.]

Dave, this synopsis may save several of you hours of alas-futile typing

[*] the one moving along with the car/person AND moving so as to keep their
face pointing the same way relative to that frame