_POLYCHROME_ is now released!

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 8, 2015, 10:39:12 AM4/8/15

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Apr 8, 2015, 3:16:39 PM4/8/15
On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 10:39:08 -0400, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

>This is my last spam to the group on this -- Polychrome is now
>available! Here are the relevant links; the book should also be
>available on iBooks and Nook.
>
>Trade Paperback:
>http://www.amazon.com/Polychrome-Romantic-Ryk-E-Spoor/dp/1619910144?ie=UTF8&tag=theseawasp-20
>
>Kindle:
>http://www.amazon.com/Polychrome-Ryk-Spoor-ebook/dp/B00VSUCF54?ie=UTF8&tag=theseawasp-20
>
>Trade Paperback at B&N:
>http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/polychrome-ryk-e-spoor/1121672972?ean=9781619910140
>
>Deluxe Hardcover:
>http://www.lulu.com/shop/ryk-e-spoor/polychrome/hardcover/product-22091396.html
>
>Smashwords:
>https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/529304

It's available for the Nook at
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/polychrome-ryk-e-spoor/1121503326?ean=2940151346832&itm=1&usri=2940151346832

It doesn't yet show up in searches and it isn't yet linked to the
paperback, but it's there. Can't say when they'll fix the connection
or search; they aren't very good about that.

It's been approved for iBooks, but isn't there yet, so far as I can
tell. Should be in a day or two.

It should also show up on Kobo before too long, and the ebook will be
available to libraries through Baker & Taylor. Among other outlets.

If you want to pay Ryk the highest possible royalty on the trade
paperback, order it here:

https://www.createspace.com/5378556

Not sure where he does best with the ebook.

---

Michael R N Dolbear

Apr 8, 2015, 7:51:01 PM4/8/15

"Lawrence Watt-Evans" wrote

> If you want to pay Ryk the highest possible royalty on the trade
paperback, order it here: https://www.createspace.com/5378556

> Not sure where he does best with the ebook.

For EU buyers, Smashwords direct I think (not Smashwords retailers).

Same royalty but no VAT.

--
Mike D

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Apr 9, 2015, 12:55:54 AM4/9/15
Actually, I believe the base royalty is higher for the Kindle edition
-- 70% instead of 65% -- but the VAT does complicate matters, and
Amazon sometimes (apparently arbitrarily, but they'll probably claim
to have a valid reason) debits a couple of cents in "transmission
charges."

Bo Lindbergh

Apr 9, 2015, 1:27:29 AM4/9/15
In article <1ruaia1jk532j6s9c...@reader80.eternal-september.org>,
Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:

> It's been approved for iBooks, but isn't there yet, so far as I can
> tell. Should be in a day or two.

I can see it: https://itunes.apple.com/book/polychrome/id983704823?mt=11

/Bo Lindbergh

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Apr 9, 2015, 2:46:40 AM4/9/15
On Thu, 09 Apr 2015 07:27:26 +0200, Bo Lindbergh <bl...@stacken.kth.se>
wrote:
Oh, good. That was quicker than I expected.

Stephen Graham

Apr 9, 2015, 12:20:06 PM4/9/15
On 4/8/2015 7:39 AM, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:

> This is my last spam to the group on this -- Polychrome is now
> available! Here are the relevant links; the book should also be
> available on iBooks and Nook.

My physical copy of the trade paperback arrived in the mail yesterday.
I'm looking forward to it.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Apr 9, 2015, 12:39:42 PM4/9/15
Stephen Graham <gra...@speakeasy.net> wrote in
As did mine. And as am I.

--
Terry Austin

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Kay Shapero

Apr 12, 2015, 11:39:35 PM4/12/15
In article <XnsA47762441F3...@69.16.179.42>,
taus...@gmail.com says...

> Stephen Graham <gra...@speakeasy.net> wrote in
>
> > On 4/8/2015 7:39 AM, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
> >>
> >> This is my last spam to the group on this -- Polychrome is now
> >> available! Here are the relevant links; the book should also be
> >> available on iBooks and Nook.
> >
> > My physical copy of the trade paperback arrived in the mail
> > yesterday. I'm looking forward to it.
> >
> As did mine. And as am I.

Still awaiting my hardback, but got and read the ecopy ages ago courtesy
the Kickstarter (not to mention watched the author write the first draft
as one of his betas..which now has me visualizing Siamese Fighting
Fish.. never mind... :) ) It's a good one.

--

Kay Shapero
Head Researcher of Oz

Brian M. Scott

Apr 13, 2015, 1:26:13 AM4/13/15
On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 20:39:31 -0700, Kay Shapero
<k...@invalid.net> wrote
in<news:MPG.2f94da536...@news.eternal-september.org>
in rec.arts.sf.written:

> In article <XnsA47762441F3...@69.16.179.42>,
> taus...@gmail.com says...

>> Stephen Graham <gra...@speakeasy.net> wrote in

>>> My physical copy of the trade paperback arrived in the mail
>>> yesterday. I'm looking forward to it.

>> As did mine. And as am I.

> Still awaiting my hardback, but got and read the ecopy
> ages ago courtesy the Kickstarter (not to mention
> watched the author write the first draft as one of his
> betas..which now has me visualizing Siamese Fighting
> Fish.. never mind... :) ) It's a good one.

Lovely hardback arrived yesterday (Saturday).

Brian
--
It was called ‘Birdsong at Eventide’, and it went, ‘Ting
_pling_ ting pling _ting_, ting tong, ting tong, ting

David DeLaney

Apr 13, 2015, 1:47:26 AM4/13/15
On 2015-04-13, Kay Shapero <k...@invalid.net> wrote:
> taus...@gmail.com says...
>> Stephen Graham <gra...@speakeasy.net> wrote in
>> >
>> > My physical copy of the trade paperback arrived in the mail
>> > yesterday. I'm looking forward to it.
>>
>> As did mine. And as am I.
>
> Still awaiting my hardback, but got and read the ecopy ages ago courtesy
> the Kickstarter (not to mention watched the author write the first draft
> as one of his betas..which now has me visualizing Siamese Fighting
> Fish.. never mind... :) ) It's a good one.

And to-day I ordered it from my local Barnes & Noble (which had no idea last
week that it even existed). Also on tenterhooks.

{frowns gently in Sea Wasp's direction}

Dave
http://gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd/ -net.legends/Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 13, 2015, 7:12:06 AM4/13/15
On 4/12/15 11:39 PM, Kay Shapero wrote:
> In article <XnsA47762441F3...@69.16.179.42>,
> taus...@gmail.com says...
>>
>> Stephen Graham <gra...@speakeasy.net> wrote in

>>> My physical copy of the trade paperback arrived in the mail
>>> yesterday. I'm looking forward to it.
>>>
>> As did mine. And as am I.
>
> Still awaiting my hardback, but got and read the ecopy ages ago courtesy
> the Kickstarter (not to mention watched the author write the first draft
> as one of his betas..which now has me visualizing Siamese Fighting
> Fish.. never mind... :) ) It's a good one.

Yeah, as I mentioned on the KS, "Lightning Source" doesn't exactly live
up to its name. Your HC is in the group I'm mailing this morning.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 13, 2015, 7:14:20 AM4/13/15
On 4/13/15 1:26 AM, Brian M. Scott wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 20:39:31 -0700, Kay Shapero
> <k...@invalid.net> wrote
> in<news:MPG.2f94da536...@news.eternal-september.org>
> in rec.arts.sf.written:
>
>> In article <XnsA47762441F3...@69.16.179.42>,
>> taus...@gmail.com says...
>
>>> Stephen Graham <gra...@speakeasy.net> wrote in

>>> As did mine. And as am I.
>
>> Still awaiting my hardback, but got and read the ecopy
>> ages ago courtesy the Kickstarter (not to mention
>> watched the author write the first draft as one of his
>> betas..which now has me visualizing Siamese Fighting
>> Fish.. never mind... :) ) It's a good one.
>
> Lovely hardback arrived yesterday (Saturday).

Yes, you supported at the Dust Jacket level and got the fancy one from
Lulu, as opposed to the non-dust-jacket version from LS (still kinda
pretty with a dark cover and gold lettering, but nothing like the
wraparound cover with Bob's cover-art).

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 13, 2015, 7:16:37 AM4/13/15
On 4/13/15 1:47 AM, David DeLaney wrote:
> On 2015-04-13, Kay Shapero <k...@invalid.net> wrote:
>> taus...@gmail.com says...
>>> Stephen Graham <gra...@speakeasy.net> wrote in

>>> As did mine. And as am I.
>>
>> Still awaiting my hardback, but got and read the ecopy ages ago courtesy
>> the Kickstarter (not to mention watched the author write the first draft
>> as one of his betas..which now has me visualizing Siamese Fighting
>> Fish.. never mind... :) ) It's a good one.
>
> And to-day I ordered it from my local Barnes & Noble (which had no idea last
> week that it even existed). Also on tenterhooks.

Thank you!

> {frowns gently in Sea Wasp's direction}

Hey, don't blame me for B&N's failures!

> Dave

David DeLaney

Apr 13, 2015, 3:16:21 PM4/13/15
On 2015-04-13, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
> On 4/13/15 1:47 AM, David DeLaney wrote:
>> On 2015-04-13, Kay Shapero <k...@invalid.net> wrote:
>>> Still awaiting my hardback, but got and read the ecopy ages ago courtesy
>>> the Kickstarter (not to mention watched the author write the first draft
>>> as one of his betas..which now has me visualizing Siamese Fighting
>>> Fish.. never mind... :) ) It's a good one.
>>
>> And to-day I ordered it from my local Barnes & Noble (which had no idea last
>> week that it even existed). Also on tenterhooks.
>
> Thank you!

YW!

>> {frowns gently in Sea Wasp's direction}
>
> Hey, don't blame me for B&N's failures!

Er, no, but I seem to have lost your email again.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 13, 2015, 4:00:18 PM4/13/15
On 4/13/15 3:16 PM, David DeLaney wrote:
> On 2015-04-13, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> And to-day I ordered it from my local Barnes & Noble (which had no idea last
>>> week that it even existed). Also on tenterhooks.
>>
>> Thank you!
>
> YW!
>
>>> {frowns gently in Sea Wasp's direction}
>>
>> Hey, don't blame me for B&N's failures!
>
> Er, no, but I seem to have lost your email again.
>
> Dave

seawasp AT sgeinc DOT com.

Jerry Brown

Apr 18, 2015, 4:25:21 AM4/18/15
My trade pb arrived yesterday (London, UK).

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 18, 2015, 9:39:40 AM4/18/15
On 4/18/15 4:25 AM, Jerry Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Apr 2015 09:20:00 -0700, Stephen Graham
> <gra...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>
>> On 4/8/2015 7:39 AM, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
>>>
>>> This is my last spam to the group on this -- Polychrome is now
>>> available! Here are the relevant links; the book should also be
>>> available on iBooks and Nook.
>>
>> My physical copy of the trade paperback arrived in the mail yesterday.
>> I'm looking forward to it.
>
> My trade pb arrived yesterday (London, UK).

Excellent. Now I know they're crossing the ponds!

David DeLaney

Apr 19, 2015, 12:12:34 AM4/19/15
On 2015-04-18, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
> On 4/18/15 4:25 AM, Jerry Brown wrote:
>> Stephen Graham <gra...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> My physical copy of the trade paperback arrived in the mail yesterday.
>>> I'm looking forward to it.
>>
>> My trade pb arrived yesterday (London, UK).
>
> Excellent. Now I know they're crossing the ponds!

Just ... don't cross the streams.

Dave, that would be bad, i'm told

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Apr 20, 2015, 10:21:27 AM4/20/15
"Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in

> On 4/18/15 4:25 AM, Jerry Brown wrote:
>> On Thu, 09 Apr 2015 09:20:00 -0700, Stephen Graham
>> <gra...@speakeasy.net> wrote:

>>> My physical copy of the trade paperback arrived in the mail
>>> yesterday. I'm looking forward to it.
>>
>> My trade pb arrived yesterday (London, UK).
>>

> Excellent. Now I know they're crossing the ponds!

I'm a third of the way though so far. For some reason, the term "Mary
Sue" comes to mind, I'm not sure why. :)

Not at all disappointed, though.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 20, 2015, 7:17:00 PM4/20/15
On 4/20/15 10:21 AM, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
> "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in
>
>> On 4/18/15 4:25 AM, Jerry Brown wrote:

>>> My trade pb arrived yesterday (London, UK).
>>>

>> Excellent. Now I know they're crossing the ponds!
>>
> I'm a third of the way though so far. For some reason, the term "Mary
> Sue" comes to mind, I'm not sure why. :)

For the reason that it is 100% pure Mary Sue. One reason I was
reluctant at first to even let my *beta* readers see it, let alone
publish it; it was only their reactions that convinced me that it might
be worth publishing.

> Not at all disappointed, though.

Good!

Kay Shapero

Apr 21, 2015, 2:21:00 AM4/21/15
In article <mh41bf$u75$1...@dont-email.me>, sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com
says...

> > I'm a third of the way though so far. For some reason, the term "Mary
> > Sue" comes to mind, I'm not sure why. :)
>
> For the reason that it is 100% pure Mary Sue. One reason I was
> reluctant at first to even let my *beta* readers see it, let alone
> publish it; it was only their reactions that convinced me that it might
> be worth publishing.

Nothing wrong with basing a character on yourself, you just have to
handle it properly and you did. My copy of the hardback is here,
sitting behind me while I figure out what to put into the Brodart given
as my income did not run to the one with the book cover.

--

Kay Shapero

Don Kuenz

Apr 21, 2015, 10:49:10 AM4/21/15
Harlan Ellison wrote himself into a speaking role in "The City of the
Edge of Forever." The extent of Ellison's aspirations to pull a cameo
Alfred-Hitchcock-style were unknown (to me). In his heart of hearts,
perhaps Ellison intended to go full-blown-Hitchcock and ham it up for
the camera himself?

The dastardly Roddenberry had others exorcise the Ellison character from
the script. The character named "Trooper" was purged.

Ellison got the last laugh however. A graphic novel named "The City on
the Edge of Forever" was recently published. It was created from
Ellison's original script. "Trooper" and his speaking lines were fully
restored. And the artist made "Trooper" look just like old man Ellison.

On a metaphysical level this seems to make Ellison a real trooper, so to
speak.

--
,-. Give More expect less Love More
\_/ argue less Listen More talk less

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Apr 21, 2015, 12:18:31 PM4/21/15

> On 4/20/15 10:21 AM, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
>> "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in

>>> Excellent. Now I know they're crossing the ponds!
>>>
>> I'm a third of the way though so far. For some reason, the term
>> "Mary Sue" comes to mind, I'm not sure why. :)
>
> For the reason that it is 100% pure Mary Sue.

And not the tiniest bit subtle about it, either, for anyone who
knows you at all.

> One reason I
> was
> reluctant at first to even let my *beta* readers see it, let
> alone publish it; it was only their reactions that convinced me
> that it might be worth publishing.

It's all in the quality of the writing. Even the stalest, tritest,
stupidest plot can be new again in the hands of a skilled writer.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 21, 2015, 2:49:43 PM4/21/15
Just use the cover art? It's available online. If you can't get it for
some reason I could email it to you.

Kay Shapero

Apr 22, 2015, 2:17:39 AM4/22/15
In article <mh6627$162$2...@dont-email.me>, sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com
says...

> > Nothing wrong with basing a character on yourself, you just have to
> > handle it properly and you did. My copy of the hardback is here,
> > sitting behind me while I figure out what to put into the Brodart given
> > as my income did not run to the one with the book cover.
> >

> Just use the cover art? It's available online. If you can't get it for
> some reason I could email it to you.

Wasn't entirely sure it would be ok since you did after all have the
covered version at a higher contribution than I could afford. Since
apparently it is, that's exactly what I'll do using the file I already
downloaded as a desktop given that it's gorgeous. Long Live (and draw)
Bob Eggleton!!!

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 22, 2015, 6:32:11 AM4/22/15
The covered version is physically larger as well, but it was the cover
itself that more than doubled the price of the book. Yes, getting a
pretty printed cover costs more than the whole actual book.

If someone wants to create their OWN cover using the art I gave out,
that's perfectly fine!

Kay Shapero

Apr 23, 2015, 1:03:34 AM4/23/15
In article <mh7t9e$q18$2...@dont-email.me>, sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com
says...

> The covered version is physically larger as well, but it was the cover
> itself that more than doubled the price of the book. Yes, getting a
> pretty printed cover costs more than the whole actual book.

I can believe it.

> If someone wants to create their OWN cover using the art I gave out,
> that's perfectly fine!

Great! If my art program is measuring correctly, the largest desktop is
about 6.4" wide by 3.6" tall, thus I can fit the whole wraparound cover
on the front cover as is (not going to enlarge - instant pixilation!!),
so I'll likely do that and put title, author info, and a lot of Ozzy
pics on the excess space left. Or something. :)

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 23, 2015, 7:43:09 AM4/23/15
Hey, if that's all you want it for I'll send you a larger version of
the image.

William December Starr

Apr 27, 2015, 7:43:11 PM4/27/15
"Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> said:

>> I'm a third of the way though so far. For some reason, the term
>> "Mary Sue" comes to mind, I'm not sure why. :)
>
> For the reason that it is 100% pure Mary Sue. One reason I was
> reluctant at first to even let my *beta* readers see it, let alone
> publish it; it was only their reactions that convinced me that it
> might be worth publishing.

So the algorithm that brought us John Ringo's _Ghost_ is trying to
redeem itself?

:-)

-- wds

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 27, 2015, 7:59:51 PM4/27/15
Or prove just how bad an idea it is, yes. Only the readers can judge!

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Apr 28, 2015, 1:40:36 PM4/28/15

> On 4/27/15 7:43 PM, William December Starr wrote:

>>> For the reason that it is 100% pure Mary Sue. One reason I was
>>> reluctant at first to even let my *beta* readers see it, let
>>> alone publish it; it was only their reactions that convinced
>>> me that it might be worth publishing.
>>
>> So the algorithm that brought us John Ringo's _Ghost_ is trying
>> to redeem itself?
>>

> Or prove just how bad an idea it is, yes. Only the readers
> can judge!

Well, I've finished it, and I like it. More grown up than Baum's
work, but still fit Barum's world. The writing styme of the action
senes reminded me of the Arena books, with a touch of anime flavor,
but that's good.

The romance sub-plot would have ended very, very differently if you
were Leo Frankowski, and not in a good way.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 28, 2015, 10:36:14 PM4/28/15
On 4/28/15 1:40 PM, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
> "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in
>
>> On 4/27/15 7:43 PM, William December Starr wrote:

>>> So the algorithm that brought us John Ringo's _Ghost_ is trying
>>> to redeem itself?
>>>

>> Or prove just how bad an idea it is, yes. Only the readers
>> can judge!
>>
> Well, I've finished it, and I like it.

:)

More grown up than Baum's
> work, but still fit Barum's world. The writing styme of the action
> senes reminded me of the Arena books, with a touch of anime flavor,
> but that's good.

More than a touch when I was writing it!

> The romance sub-plot would have ended very, very differently if you
> were Leo Frankowski, and not in a good way.

I won't ask.

David DeLaney

Apr 28, 2015, 11:27:37 PM4/28/15
It's okay. We won't tell.

Dave, my fingers hurt just THINKING about typing it out

Will in New Haven

Apr 29, 2015, 9:36:30 AM4/29/15
On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 10:39:12 AM UTC-4, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
> This is my last spam to the group on this -- Polychrome is now
> available! Here are the relevant links; the book should also be
> available on iBooks and Nook.

This is old news. I have it, I have read it and reviewed it.

Write more things.

--
Will in New Haven

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Apr 29, 2015, 12:15:48 PM4/29/15
"Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in
You are unaware of the Crosstime Engineer books? And, specifically,
how "reomantic" (note the quote marks) subplots _always_ end up in
them?

You're up to eight reviews on Amazon now, too.

Brian M. Scott

Apr 29, 2015, 6:19:23 PM4/29/15
in<news:mg3egn$sdt$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:

> This is my last spam to the group on this -- Polychrome
> is now available!

I just saw the Kickstarter note that Larry Smith was also
getting a box of them. That’s a great idea: he and Sally
were one of the big reason (besides being an old friend of
the late organizer) that I kept going to the Darkover
Convention despite not really being a convention person.

[...]

Brian
--
It was the neap tide, when the baga venture out of their
holes to root for sandtatties. The waves whispered

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 29, 2015, 7:12:54 PM4/29/15
No, I'm not, and from various remarks I've seen here I have chosen not
to educate myself on this particular author's works.

> You're up to eight reviews on Amazon now, too.

Yes, thank you!

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 29, 2015, 7:13:33 PM4/29/15
On 4/29/15 6:19 PM, Brian M. Scott wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 10:39:08 -0400, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E.
> Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote
> in<news:mg3egn$sdt$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:
>
>> This is my last spam to the group on this -- Polychrome
>> is now available!
>
> I just saw the Kickstarter note that Larry Smith was also
> getting a box of them. That’s a great idea: he and Sally
> were one of the big reason (besides being an old friend of
> the late organizer) that I kept going to the Darkover
> Convention despite not really being a convention person.

Total of three booksellers will have some so far: Annie's in Worcester,
Larry, and Maria at Flights of Fantasy.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Apr 29, 2015, 7:50:49 PM4/29/15
"Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in
All I can say is, there's, what, three major female characters?
FOUR-WAY!!!

(Frankowski was a perv with the emotional maturity of a 13 year
old. And about as much imagination, too, which is to say, not
much.)

>> You're up to eight reviews on Amazon now, too.
>>

> Yes, thank you!

Nine, now. But at least you're the top result on a search for
Polychrome.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Apr 29, 2015, 7:54:12 PM4/29/15

> Total of three booksellers will have some so far: Annie's
> in Worcester,
> Larry, and Maria at Flights of Fantasy.

You have realistic wholesale pricing on paper copies available for
stores?

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 29, 2015, 8:57:00 PM4/29/15
On 4/29/15 7:54 PM, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
> "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in
>
>> Total of three booksellers will have some so far: Annie's
>> in Worcester,
>> Larry, and Maria at Flights of Fantasy.
>>
> You have realistic wholesale pricing on paper copies available for
> stores?

Realistic? Eh. Depending on whether I intend to actually make money
from them or not I can get down to around a 43% discount, though 30% is
more reasonable.

David DeLaney

May 1, 2015, 12:58:12 AM5/1/15
On 2015-04-30, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
> On 4/29/15 7:54 PM, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
>> "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in
>>> Total of three booksellers will have some so far: Annie's in Worcester,
>>> Larry, and Maria at Flights of Fantasy.
>>>
>> You have realistic wholesale pricing on paper copies available for stores?
>
> Realistic? Eh. Depending on whether I intend to actually make money
> from them or not I can get down to around a 43% discount, though 30% is
> more reasonable.

You can also order them through B&N, if you're lookiong for a retail source.

Dave, does realize this isn't exactly the same thing but hey

Lawrence Watt-Evans

May 4, 2015, 12:57:41 AM5/4/15
On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 09:18:29 -0700, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
<taus...@gmail.com> wrote:

>It's all in the quality of the writing. Even the stalest, tritest,
>stupidest plot can be new again in the hands of a skilled writer.

Watt-Evans' Law:
http://www.watt-evans.com/lawsoffantasy.html#morelaws

---

Brian M. Scott

May 4, 2015, 2:45:23 AM5/4/15
On Mon, 04 May 2015 00:57:38 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans
<l...@sff.net> wrote
in<news:1vudka5crest5dcvh...@reader80.eternal-september.org>
in rec.arts.sf.written:

> On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 09:18:29 -0700, Gutless Umbrella
> Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> It's all in the quality of the writing. Even the
>> stalest, tritest, stupidest plot can be new again in
>> the hands of a skilled writer.

> Watt-Evans' Law:
> http://www.watt-evans.com/lawsoffantasy.html#morelaws

I’m not sure that Debra Doyle’s rule and the Mageworlds
books live in the same universe!

Brian
--
It was called ‘Birdsong at Eventide’, and it went, ‘Ting
_pling_ ting pling _ting_, ting tong, ting tong, ting
tonggg clonk, bother!’ At least, that is how it went
when Myrtle played it. -- _Larklight_, by Philip Reeve

William December Starr

May 4, 2015, 6:55:06 AM5/4/15
In article <1vudka5crest5dcvh...@reader80.eternal-september.org>,
Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> said:

> Watt-Evans' Law:
> http://www.watt-evans.com/lawsoffantasy.html#morelaws

Anybody know what examples Teresa Nielsen Hayden may have had in
mind when she crafted "Sophronia's Rule: Don't use metaphors in
fantasy; your readers will take them literally. Or they may take
them figuratively -- but if so, they'll also take your magics and
transformations figuratively. Either way, you're in trouble."?

-- wds

Lawrence Watt-Evans

May 4, 2015, 8:12:53 AM5/4/15
On Mon, 4 May 2015 02:45:20 -0400, "Brian M. Scott"
<b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:

>On Mon, 04 May 2015 00:57:38 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans
><l...@sff.net> wrote
>in<news:1vudka5crest5dcvh...@reader80.eternal-september.org>
>in rec.arts.sf.written:
>
>> On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 09:18:29 -0700, Gutless Umbrella
>> Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> It's all in the quality of the writing. Even the
>>> stalest, tritest, stupidest plot can be new again in
>>> the hands of a skilled writer.
>
>> Watt-Evans' Law:
>> http://www.watt-evans.com/lawsoffantasy.html#morelaws
>
>I’m not sure that Debra Doyle’s rule and the Mageworlds
>books live in the same universe!

A good observation.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

May 4, 2015, 8:13:27 AM5/4/15
On 4 May 2015 06:55:03 -0400, wds...@panix.com (William December
Sorry, I don't know.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

May 5, 2015, 7:44:55 AM5/5/15
On 5/4/15 12:57 AM, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 09:18:29 -0700, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
> <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> It's all in the quality of the writing. Even the stalest, tritest,
>> stupidest plot can be new again in the hands of a skilled writer.
>
> Watt-Evans' Law:
> http://www.watt-evans.com/lawsoffantasy.html#morelaws

Heh. Exceptions to Doyle's Rule I can think of are Babylon 5 (still SF
*despite* the Holy Grail) and in the other direction both Stasheff's
Warlock series and, for some readers, Pern.

leif...@dimnakorr.com

May 5, 2015, 8:12:04 AM5/5/15
"Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

> Heh. Exceptions to Doyle's Rule I can think of are Babylon 5 (still SF
> *despite* the Holy Grail) and in the other direction both Stasheff's
> Warlock series and, for some readers, Pern.

Also in the other direction, what about Glen Cook's "Darkwar"?

--
Leif Roar Moldskred

Kay Shapero

May 6, 2015, 1:32:09 AM5/6/15
In article <miaadl$8k2$2...@dont-email.me>, sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com
says...

> On 5/4/15 12:57 AM, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 09:18:29 -0700, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
> > <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> It's all in the quality of the writing. Even the stalest, tritest,
> >> stupidest plot can be new again in the hands of a skilled writer.
> >
> > Watt-Evans' Law:
> > http://www.watt-evans.com/lawsoffantasy.html#morelaws
> >

> Heh. Exceptions to Doyle's Rule I can think of are Babylon 5 (still SF
> *despite* the Holy Grail)

Well, far as we know all they had was someone LOOKING for it - we never
learned if he found the thing.