Memory (Vorkosigan)

Greg Goss

Apr 18, 2014, 3:25:10 AM4/18/14
I just discovered that I've missed one of the Miles stories. I've
been reading through the triple-collections from Baen and they skipped
that one. As a singleton, they have an SKU for it, but it's "not
currently available".

How can an ebook go out of stock? Is there something funny with the
rights to this book? The dendarii.com link goes to a fictionwise page
about the closing down of fictionwise.

Kobo has never heard of it. Amazon wants to sell me a MMPB of it,
rather than an ebook.

A search for torrents keeps giving me exe files. yeah, right.

So is this book available as an ebook at all? It seems odd for a
primarily Baen author to keep a book out of the ebook market.

Walter Bushell

Apr 18, 2014, 7:50:03 AM4/18/14
In article <brc2am...@mid.individual.net>,
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:

> A search for torrents keeps giving me exe files. yeah, right.

An exe file stands for "execute disk"?

--
Never attribute to stupidity that which can be explained by greed. Me.

Greg Weeks

Apr 18, 2014, 8:31:58 AM4/18/14
It's being reprinted on paper in September. They may have just gotten rights back. Given a paper printing in September, I wouldn't expect the ebook to show up at Amazon until the later half of August.

Greg Weeks

Greg Weeks

Apr 18, 2014, 8:35:08 AM4/18/14
I found a kindle version on Amazon with a search for "memory bujold"

Do you not find it?

Greg Weeks

J. Clarke

Apr 18, 2014, 9:16:49 AM4/18/14
In article <proto-B2DA69....@news.panix.com>, pr...@panix.com
says...

> In article <brc2am...@mid.individual.net>,
> Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:
>
> > A search for torrents keeps giving me exe files. yeah, right.
>
> An exe file stands for "execute disk"?

Piratebay lists a torrent with 18 Vorkosigan novels all in .lit form.

As for exes from untrusted sources, that's what VMs were made for.

Greg Goss

Apr 18, 2014, 9:45:43 AM4/18/14
Greg Weeks <gweeks....@gmail.com> wrote:

>I found a kindle version on Amazon with a search for "memory bujold"
>
>Do you not find it?

That was my search term, and it only gave me the paperback.

I don't like the Kindle readers on the PC and Android, and don't
really understand the cracking process like I do the Kobo, but I'll
look into it.

Cryptoengineer

Apr 18, 2014, 10:33:13 AM4/18/14
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote in news:brcok7...@mid.individual.net:

> Greg Weeks <gweeks....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I found a kindle version on Amazon with a search for "memory bujold"
>>
>>Do you not find it?
>
> That was my search term, and it only gave me the paperback.
>
> I don't like the Kindle readers on the PC and Android, and don't
> really understand the cracking process like I do the Kobo, but I'll
> look into it.

Torrents? Since you're alreadly going around the law, go old-school!

binsearch.net:

1. ATTN: PostalPops [20/26] - "Bujold, Lois McMaster - Vorkosigan 10 -
Memory [1996] (retail).epub" yEnc (1/2) TreeSaver a.b.e-book 156d

2. All I could find: Enjoy! [15/25] - "Bujold, Lois McMaster -
Vorkosigan - Memory [1996] (retail).epub" yEnc (1/7) TreeSaver a.b.e-
book 390d

3. Enjoy! [12/23] - "Bujold, Lois McMaster - Vorkosigan 10 -
Memory (retail) [epub].rar" yEnc (1/7) TreeSaver a.b.e-book 394d

4. New eBooks 01 May 2012 - "Lois McMaster Bujold - [Miles
Vorkosigan 10] - Memory (retail) (epub).rar" 479k yEnc (1/2) N.E.R.Ds
a.b.e-book 709d

The last two fields are the newsgroup, and the number of days ago it was
posted.

So, you'll need a news server with deep archive, and SW to reassemble
the post from its segments. You might want to google 'NZB file', which
helps automate the process. Xnews is also useful, if you can locate the
posts.

For Android readers, try Moon+. There's also an app called NZBLeech
which may be of interest.

pt

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Apr 18, 2014, 12:52:52 PM4/18/14
> Greg Weeks <gweeks....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I found a kindle version on Amazon with a search for "memory
>>bujold"
>>
>>Do you not find it?
>
> That was my search term, and it only gave me the paperback.
>
> I don't like the Kindle readers on the PC and Android, and don't
> really understand the cracking process like I do the Kobo, but
> I'll look into it.

Interestingly, it's also available as an epub from Barnes & Noble
(which is trivial to strip of DRM).

--
Terry Austin

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Apr 18, 2014, 12:55:37 PM4/18/14
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote in
>
>> Greg Weeks <gweeks....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I found a kindle version on Amazon with a search for "memory
>>>bujold"
>>>
>>>Do you not find it?
>>
>> That was my search term, and it only gave me the paperback.
>>
>> I don't like the Kindle readers on the PC and Android, and don't
>> really understand the cracking process like I do the Kobo, but
>> I'll look into it.
>
> Interestingly, it's also available as an epub from Barnes & Noble
> (which is trivial to strip of DRM).

Upon further review, it would appear that something has changed
regarding the ebook rights to this and perhaps several other of
Bujold's books. Amazon lists the publisher as "Amazon Digital
Services, Inc.," and B&N as "Spectrum Literary Agency, Inc." with
publication dates of 2012 and 2011, repsectively.

I'm guessing Bujold has pulled ebook rights from Baen and is now
self-publishing.

Michael R N Dolbear

Apr 18, 2014, 8:05:07 PM4/18/14

"Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy" wrote

> Upon further review, it would appear that something has changed
regarding the ebook rights to this and perhaps several other of
Bujold's books. Amazon lists the publisher as "Amazon Digital
Services, Inc.," and B&N as "Spectrum Literary Agency, Inc." with
publication dates of 2012 and 2011, repsectively.

> I'm guessing Bujold has pulled ebook rights from Baen and is now
self-publishing.

Yep

For the most recent books it's Baen in NA and self publish elsewhere.

But Memory is being reprinted by Baen for September 2014 publication so we
may expect a Baen ebook from 16th August 2014

--
Mike D

Lynn McGuire

Apr 18, 2014, 8:09:33 PM4/18/14
You can purchase the ebook straight from Baen's website:
http://www.baenebooks.com/p-617-memory.aspx

Most of the Vorkosigan ebooks used to be on
http://jiltanith.thefifthimperium.com/
on the CD that came with _but they got pulled.

Amazon does have the kindle version:

http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Vorkosigan-Saga-McMaster-Bujold-ebook/dp/B005LI3W9W/

Lynn

Greg Goss

Apr 18, 2014, 10:47:13 PM4/18/14
Cryptoengineer <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote in news:brcok7...@mid.individual.net:
>
>> Greg Weeks <gweeks....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I found a kindle version on Amazon with a search for "memory bujold"
>>>
>>>Do you not find it?
>>
>> That was my search term, and it only gave me the paperback.
>>
>> I don't like the Kindle readers on the PC and Android, and don't
>> really understand the cracking process like I do the Kobo, but I'll
>> look into it.
>
>Torrents? Since you're alreadly going around the law, go old-school!

I tried legal. But after striking out at Baen, Kobo and Amazon, I
started searching farther afield.

>binsearch.net:

Thanks. I'll probably pull the Kindle now that someone found it for
me. Somewhere along the way I'll have to figure out how to unlock
Kindles.

>The last two fields are the newsgroup, and the number of days ago it was
>posted.
>
>So, you'll need a news server with deep archive, and SW to reassemble
>the post from its segments. You might want to google 'NZB file', which
>helps automate the process. Xnews is also useful, if you can locate the
>posts.
>
>For Android readers, try Moon+. There's also an app called NZBLeech
>which may be of interest.

That's the one I ended up with. When my wife's first Android phone
was an Eclair, the publisher emailed me an older version that would
run on her antique. That's service.

Greg Goss

Apr 18, 2014, 10:49:09 PM4/18/14
Lynn McGuire <l...@winsim.com> wrote:

>On 4/18/2014 2:25 AM, Greg Goss wrote:
>> I just discovered that I've missed one of the Miles stories. I've
>> been reading through the triple-collections from Baen and they skipped
>> that one. As a singleton, they have an SKU for it, but it's "not
>> currently available".

>You can purchase the ebook straight from Baen's website:
> http://www.baenebooks.com/p-617-memory.aspx

That's where I started. Look low on the right "not currently
available."

Cryptoengineer

Apr 18, 2014, 11:08:23 PM4/18/14

> Cryptoengineer <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote in

>>> That was my search term, and it only gave me the paperback.
>>>
>>> I don't like the Kindle readers on the PC and Android, and don't
>>> really understand the cracking process like I do the Kobo, but I'll
>>> look into it.
>>
>>Torrents? Since you're alreadly going around the law, go old-school!
>
> I tried legal. But after striking out at Baen, Kobo and Amazon, I
> started searching farther afield.
>>
>>binsearch.net:
>
> Thanks. I'll probably pull the Kindle now that someone found it for
> me. Somewhere along the way I'll have to figure out how to unlock
> Kindles.

I jailbroke my Kindle Fire without too much difficulty, and installed
the Google Play Store. Later I went on and installed CyanogenMod, but
I warn you that the Kindle app won't run on that. However, if I de-DRM
my Kindle books on a PC, the output files work fine in Moon+ on the
KF.

Note that you can sideload pdfs and several other formats onto the stock
Kindle Fire, and read them without a problem. You can also install
side-loaded APKs, and they usually work.

>>The last two fields are the newsgroup, and the number of days ago it
>>was posted.
>>
>>So, you'll need a news server with deep archive, and SW to reassemble
>>the post from its segments. You might want to google 'NZB file', which
>>helps automate the process. Xnews is also useful, if you can locate
>>the posts.
>>
>>For Android readers, try Moon+. There's also an app called NZBLeech
>>which may be of interest.
>
> That's the one I ended up with. When my wife's first Android phone
> was an Eclair, the publisher emailed me an older version that would
> run on her antique. That's service.

I'm very happy with Moon+. I have the Pro version on my phone, and that
does text-to-voice - very handy in the car (I did pay for a premium
voice).

pt

Lynn McGuire

Apr 18, 2014, 11:13:24 PM4/18/14
Sorry, missed that! Is the Kindle only version
from Amazon with the sucky looking cover available?

http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Vorkosigan-Saga-McMaster-Bujold-ebook/dp/B005LI3W9W/

Lynn

Greg Goss

Apr 18, 2014, 11:17:09 PM4/18/14
Cryptoengineer <treif...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote in

>I jailbroke my Kindle Fire without too much difficulty, and installed
>the Google Play Store. Later I went on and installed CyanogenMod, but
>I warn you that the Kindle app won't run on that. However, if I de-DRM
>my Kindle books on a PC, the output files work fine in Moon+ on the
>KF.

I was talking about cracking Kindle books, not Kindle readers. I have
a mini-Kobo to use in direct sunlight, but most of my reading is done
in Moon pro on the phone.

>Note that you can sideload pdfs and several other formats onto the stock
>Kindle Fire,

PDFs. Ugh!

>> That's the one I ended up with. When my wife's first Android phone
>> was an Eclair, the [Moon pro] publisher emailed me an older version that would
>> run on her antique. That's service.
>
>I'm very happy with Moon+. I have the Pro version on my phone, and that
>does text-to-voice - very handy in the car (I did pay for a premium
>voice).

I don't get much retention when I'm read to. I've tried to have my
phone read to me (I have streaming bluetooth in the car radio) but get
little out of it.

Cryptoengineer

Apr 18, 2014, 11:23:19 PM4/18/14

> Cryptoengineer <treif...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote in

>>I jailbroke my Kindle Fire without too much difficulty, and installed
>>the Google Play Store. Later I went on and installed CyanogenMod, but
>>I warn you that the Kindle app won't run on that. However, if I de-DRM
>>my Kindle books on a PC, the output files work fine in Moon+ on the
>>KF.
>
> I was talking about cracking Kindle books, not Kindle readers. I have
> a mini-Kobo to use in direct sunlight, but most of my reading is done
> in Moon pro on the phone.

I've done both. The versions that you get on the Kindle are well
protected, but if you install the Kindle app on a PC, you get your
library there as well. The versions on the PC can be stripped of
DRM, and then saved as epub or whatever, and sideloaded onto a
Kindle.

>>Note that you can sideload pdfs and several other formats onto the
>>stock Kindle Fire,
>
> PDFs. Ugh!

I prefer epub or mobi, but use the pdf capability for technical
documents that come in that format anyway.

pt

Robert Carnegie

Apr 19, 2014, 7:02:58 AM4/19/14
On Saturday, 19 April 2014 04:17:09 UTC+1, Greg Goss wrote:
> I don't get much retention when I'm read to.

If you're driving at the time, I hope your mental focus
is on driving.

I've tried solving Sudoku while listening, but no one
gets hurt if I write down the wrong number - although,
of course, I have to make a copy of the puzzle and
start over again.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Apr 19, 2014, 6:45:13 PM4/19/14
Lynn McGuire <l...@winsim.com> wrote in

> On 4/18/2014 2:25 AM, Greg Goss wrote:
>> I just discovered that I've missed one of the Miles stories.
>> I've been reading through the triple-collections from Baen and
>> they skipped that one. As a singleton, they have an SKU for
>> it, but it's "not currently available".
>>
>> How can an ebook go out of stock? Is there something funny
>> with the rights to this book? The dendarii.com link goes to a
>> fictionwise page about the closing down of fictionwise.
>>
>> Kobo has never heard of it. Amazon wants to sell me a MMPB of
>> it, rather than an ebook.
>>
>> A search for torrents keeps giving me exe files. yeah, right.
>>
>> So is this book available as an ebook at all? It seems odd for
>> a primarily Baen author to keep a book out of the ebook market.
>
> You can purchase the ebook straight from Baen's website:
> http://www.baenebooks.com/p-617-memory.aspx

No, actually, you can't, if you look.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Apr 19, 2014, 6:45:49 PM4/19/14

> On 4/18/2014 9:49 PM, Greg Goss wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire <l...@winsim.com> wrote:

>>> You can purchase the ebook straight from Baen's website:
>>> http://www.baenebooks.com/p-617-memory.aspx
>>
>> That's where I started. Look low on the right "not currently
>> available."
>
> Sorry, missed that! Is the Kindle only version
> from Amazon with the sucky looking cover available?

Barnes & Noble has it, as I noted earlier, in epub.

> http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Vorkosigan-Saga-McMaster-Bujold-eboo
> k/dp/B005LI3W9W/
>
> Lynn

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Apr 19, 2014, 6:47:46 PM4/19/14
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote in

> Thanks. I'll probably pull the Kindle now that someone found it
> for me. Somewhere along the way I'll have to figure out how to
> unlock Kindles.

As a side note, if that's your game, you should consier the never-
ending contest with Amazon to de-DRM Kindle stuff. They have little
that B&N doesn't, and Calibre can be set up to autmatically strip the
DRM _and_ convert it to Kindle format when you load the file. Fire
and forget.

Robert Bannister

Apr 23, 2014, 12:53:03 AM4/23/14
I have it as an ebook and I definitely got it from Amazon. It is
probably one of the best books in the entire Vorkosigan series. It is
the one book missing from the omnibus paper editions and also from the
CD that came with Cryoburn.

--
Robert Bannister - 1940-71 SE England
1972-now W Australia