Time and Again

Michael F. Stemper

Jan 21, 2017, 1:48:49 PM1/21/17
I've had _Time and Again_ by Clifford D. Simak and _Time and Again_
by Jack Finney on my shelves for many years, and only thought of
the similarity in titles as a sign of the finite nature of "title
space".

I finally got around to *reading* the Finney last fall. It's a
quiet story for the most part. Its real novelty is in its method
of time travel, which reminds me of nothing so much as Professor
Harold Hill's "think system". If you want to travel to the 1880s,
you need to *think* 1880s. If you get yourself into enough of an
1880s feeling, you'll be there, so there's a large warehouse-like
building with sets from different eras to help travelers prepare.

I'm now reading the Simak for the first time in just over twenty
years. I had to check my book log to make sure, as I really don't
remember any of it. I most certainly did not remember this passage
where somebody from the future is explaining how time travel was
developed and works:

"Time is a mental concept," said Pringle. "They looked for
time everywhere else before they located it in the human
mind. They thought it was a fourth dimension. You remember
Einstein...."

[...]

"Well, anyhow," said Case, "this Michaelson of yours figured
out it was a mental concept, that time was in the mind only,
that it has no physical properties outside of Man's ability
to comprehend and encompass it. He found that a man with a
strong enough time sense ..."

Finney's time travel sounds like echoes of this. (I'm *not* saying
that they're identical.) Since he wrote a story with a similar time
travel mechanism and with an identical title, the obvious question
is raised. Did Finney write his story as a homage to Simak? Does
anybody here know? Either direct statements from him or evidence
that he was a Simak fan would be interesting.

--
Michael F. Stemper
A preposition is something you should never end a sentence with.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jan 22, 2017, 5:39:29 PM1/22/17
I don't know for sure, but it's also closely related to Robert
Heinlein's "Elsewhen" and Fletcher Pratt and L. Sprague deCamp's
"Incompleat Enchanter".

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

TB

Jan 22, 2017, 10:58:23 PM1/22/17
On Saturday, January 21, 2017 at 10:48:49 AM UTC-8, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> I've had _Time and Again_ by Clifford D. Simak and _Time and Again_
> by Jack Finney on my shelves for many years, and only thought of
> the similarity in titles as a sign of the finite nature of "title
> space".
>
> I finally got around to *reading* the Finney last fall. It's a
> quiet story for the most part. Its real novelty is in its method
> of time travel, which reminds me of nothing so much as Professor
> Harold Hill's "think system". If you want to travel to the 1880s,
> you need to *think* 1880s. If you get yourself into enough of an
> 1880s feeling, you'll be there, so there's a large warehouse-like
> building with sets from different eras to help travelers prepare.

How would I travel to the future?

Kevrob

Jan 22, 2017, 11:57:10 PM1/22/17
"Time Travel Hypnosis" was the way Batman and Robin had adventures in
the past, starting in 1944.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Carter_Nichols

Richard Matheson's protagonist in "Bid Time Return," filmed as
"Somewhere in Time," uses the mental transference method, also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bid_Time_Return

Capt. John Carter of Virginia projected himself through
interplanetary space, mentally.

Now, knowing what we do about present-day Barsoom, is it a
suitable retcon to assume Carter cast himself through both
space AND time?

> How would I travel to the future?

Very slowly?

Kevin R

Don Kuenz

Jan 23, 2017, 12:16:37 AM1/23/17
Suspended animation.

Zombie Dogs
Just as dogs preceded humans in making the first risky
voyages into space, a new generation of canines has now
made an equally path-breaking trip -- from life to death
and back again.
In a series of experiments, doctors at the Safar Center
for Resuscitation Research at the University of Pittsburgh
managed to plunge several dogs into a state of total, clinical
death before bringing them back to the land of the living. The
feat, the researchers say, points the way toward a time when
human beings will make a similar trip, not as a matter of
ghoulish curiosity but as a means of preserving life in the
face of otherwise fatal injuries.

(excerpt)

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/11/magazine/zombie-dogs.html

Michael, you ask a very interesting question, "Did Finney write his
story as a homage to Simak?"

Who knows?

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU

He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an
inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of
compassion and sacrifice and endurance. - William Faulkner

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 23, 2017, 12:25:58 AM1/23/17
At or near the speed of light actually.

--
Running the rec.arts.TV Channels Watched Survey.
Winter 2016 survey began Dec 01 and will end Feb 28

Michael F. Stemper

Jan 23, 2017, 11:35:42 AM1/23/17
On 2017-01-22 16:39, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
> On 1/21/17 1:48 PM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:

>> I've had _Time and Again_ by Clifford D. Simak and _Time and Again_
>> by Jack Finney on my shelves for many years, and only thought of
>> the similarity in titles as a sign of the finite nature of "title
>> space".

>> Finney's time travel sounds like echoes of this. (I'm *not* saying
>> that they're identical.) Since he wrote a story with a similar time
>> travel mechanism and with an identical title, the obvious question
>> is raised. Did Finney write his story as a homage to Simak? Does
>> anybody here know? Either direct statements from him or evidence
>> that he was a Simak fan would be interesting.

> I don't know for sure, but it's also closely related to Robert
> Heinlein's "Elsewhen" and Fletcher Pratt and L. Sprague deCamp's
> "Incompleat Enchanter".

Well, yeah, kind of, maybe. Modulo the facts that:
1. Those involve going, not into the past, but into parallel worlds.
2. In the Finney and presumably the Simak, you arrived pretty much
when you intended to. (This makes the user much more like Gandalf
in the PJ film and a lot less like the Doctor.)

--
Michael F. Stemper
There's no "me" in "team". There's no "us" in "team", either.

Michael F. Stemper

Jan 23, 2017, 11:37:20 AM1/23/17
I don't believe that that was a supported mode in either of these, other
than returning to your starting point from a journey to the past. It's
less explicit in the Simak, but pretty clear in the Finney.

David Johnston

Jan 23, 2017, 3:05:36 PM1/23/17
On 1/21/2017 11:48 AM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:

> "Well, anyhow," said Case, "this Michaelson of yours figured
> out it was a mental concept, that time was in the mind only,
> that it has no physical properties outside of Man's ability
> to comprehend and encompass it. He found that a man with a
> strong enough time sense ..."
>
> Finney's time travel sounds like echoes of this. (I'm *not* saying
> that they're identical.) Since he wrote a story with a similar time
> travel mechanism and with an identical title, the obvious question
> is raised. Did Finney write his story as a homage to Simak?

The identical title says "no". Using the same title goes beyond homage
when it happens deliberately.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jan 23, 2017, 3:30:08 PM1/23/17
In article <o65nj9$eui$4...@dont-email.me>,
Please note: you can't copyright a title.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Robert Carnegie

Jan 23, 2017, 5:21:19 PM1/23/17
But if you're knowingly writing on the same
subject and with the same title as a previous
work, that's a "response". Not necessarily
in favour of the precursor.

(But a title may be your editor's choice, anyway.)

Mary Shelley did something like that when
she produced "Frankenstein; Or, The Modern
Prometheus." And today you can mention
Frankenstein to do it.

David Johnston

Jan 23, 2017, 5:48:50 PM1/23/17
No, you can't although you can trademark one. But it's not an homage.
An homage would be something like Psychohistorical Crisis a title that
refers to but is not the same as the original. No I suspect the
identical titles are the product of dealing with similar subject matter
making that kind of coincidence likely. Time and again is a common
idiom that mentions time and thus is likely to be used for time travel
stories.

hamis...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2017, 5:54:47 PM1/23/17
Depends, Time and Again is a common enough phrase that it makes enough sense for the title of a time travel story that it could easily be reused without meaning anything.

David Johnston

Jan 23, 2017, 6:03:11 PM1/23/17
Yes, that's what I was saying.

Robert Bannister

Jan 23, 2017, 6:41:51 PM1/23/17
One of the things no time travel story I've read ever makes clear is how
the return journey manages to return a few minutes after the journey
began - how difficult would it be to stop it returning to the exact same
point in time as the departure, and how paradoxical would that be?

--
Robert B. born England a long time ago;
Western Australia since 1972

Michael F. Stemper

Jan 23, 2017, 7:06:58 PM1/23/17
Isn't that the "Blinovitch Limitation Effect"? :->

I don't see how returning the same instant you left would lead to
paradoxes, however. Coming back before you left, yeah. (I think that
I've seen that, but couldn't say where.)

On the other hand, Laumer's _The Great Time Machine Hoax_ addresses this
differently -- people return to "when they came from" as much as twenty
years later than their departures. (At least I think so. I read my
father's copy in the 1960s.)

--
Michael F. Stemper
87.3% of all statistics are made up by the person giving them.

Robert Carnegie

Jan 23, 2017, 7:20:00 PM1/23/17
Well, if you leave the present day at 12:00 and
visit the year 1959, and then travel forward
to 11:55 today, you are still in the past, with
all the scope for paradox that that /may/ allow.

If two copies of the atoms of your body are
suddenly occupying the same space (returning to
the exact time and place when you left), that's
going to be worse than paradoxical.

Practically, the trip forward from past to present
probably follows a track that you cut through the
cosmic phloem on the way back to the past, and
delivers you just after the end of that track, i.e.
the instant after you originally left.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jan 23, 2017, 7:51:57 PM1/23/17
Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote in

> If two copies of the atoms of your body are
> suddenly occupying the same space (returning to
> the exact time and place when you left), that's
> going to be worse than paradoxical.

Or not, as the author chooses.

> Practically, the trip forward from past to present
> probably follows a track that you cut through the
> cosmic phloem on the way back to the past, and
> delivers you just after the end of that track, i.e.
> the instant after you originally left.

Or not, as the author chooses.

Since, as best we can figure, time travel isn't possible,
*everything* about it is entirely up to the author's choices.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

hamis...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2017, 8:08:46 PM1/23/17
Back to the Future had Michael J. Fox's character change it so he returned just before he'd left to try and save Doc.

Scott Lurndal

Jan 24, 2017, 9:41:42 AM1/24/17
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> writes:
>Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote in
>
>> If two copies of the atoms of your body are
>> suddenly occupying the same space (returning to
>> the exact time and place when you left), that's
>> going to be worse than paradoxical.
>
>Or not, as the author chooses.
>>
>> Practically, the trip forward from past to present
>> probably follows a track that you cut through the
>> cosmic phloem on the way back to the past, and
>> delivers you just after the end of that track, i.e.
>> the instant after you originally left.
>>
>Or not, as the author chooses.
>
>Since, as best we can figure, time travel isn't possible,
>*everything* about it is entirely up to the author's choices.

I thought it was pretty well accepted that time travel
_into the future_ is quite possible.

Just ask Rip Van Winkel.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jan 24, 2017, 11:15:07 AM1/24/17
In article <EIJhA.20399$Jt5....@fx40.iad>,
Yeah, but he's just as fictional as all the other time travel
stories.

In fact, time travel into the future IS possible. We're all
doing it, at the rate of twenty-four hours* per day.

To the great distress of some of us, who would like to stand
still or even go backward.

______
*Give or take. Earth's day and its year don't *quite* match up
evenly, and every now and then the people who care about such
things have to add another second to the year.

Peter Trei

Jan 24, 2017, 12:13:58 PM1/24/17
Including this past Dec 31. Didn't the afternoon drag on endlessly for you,
too? In California, 3:59:59 PM was followed by 3:59:60 PM, before you
reached 4:00:00 PM

pt

Michael F. Stemper

Jan 24, 2017, 1:06:09 PM1/24/17
On 2017-01-23 18:19, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Monday, 23 January 2017 23:41:51 UTC, Robert Bannister wrote:

>>> I don't believe that that was a supported mode in either of these, other
>>> than returning to your starting point from a journey to the past. It's
>>> less explicit in the Simak, but pretty clear in the Finney.
>>>
>> One of the things no time travel story I've read ever makes clear is how
>> the return journey manages to return a few minutes after the journey
>> began - how difficult would it be to stop it returning to the exact same
>> point in time as the departure, and how paradoxical would that be?
>
> Well, if you leave the present day at 12:00 and
> visit the year 1959, and then travel forward
> to 11:55 today, you are still in the past, with
> all the scope for paradox that that /may/ allow.

> Practically, the trip forward from past to present
> probably follows a track that you cut through the
> cosmic phloem on the way back to the past, and
> delivers you just after the end of that track, i.e.
> the instant after you originally left.

On the other hand, if you travel N years into the past, spend an
hour there, and travel N years into the future, your arrival will
be an hour after your departure. I think that is a pretty common
(if unstated) assumption behind many time travel stories.

--
Michael F. Stemper
Isaiah 10:1-2

tsbr...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2017, 1:18:18 PM1/24/17
I was expecting a Voyager episode!

David Johnston

Jan 24, 2017, 2:15:18 PM1/24/17
Living through time isn't the same thing as traveling through it.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jan 24, 2017, 3:00:07 PM1/24/17
In article <d0abcf8d-6020-49bb...@googlegroups.com>,
I think I must've been taking a nap at that point.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jan 24, 2017, 3:00:08 PM1/24/17
In article <o684v9$2k9$1...@dont-email.me>,
Unless you're the Doctor, who frequently arrives *far* earlier
and/or later than when he'd intended to arrive. He says to the
TARDIS in one episode, "You never take me where I want to go!"
and she replies, "But I always take you where you need to go."

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 24, 2017, 3:52:14 PM1/24/17
I remember in 'The Technicolor Time-Machine' (I think that was the book)
the technobabble was that the time machine's path coming "back" had to
cross over its path going to the past in order to balance the energy. I
thought that was one of the better reasons I've seen.

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 24, 2017, 3:53:38 PM1/24/17
I think many physicists and cosmologists would disagree with you.

Robert Carnegie

Jan 24, 2017, 4:38:39 PM1/24/17
Oh - and if you travel back in time to the same
point in space - which seems to be a popular
technique in fiction - in fact the planet Earth
was elsewhere in space at that time, for most
useful intervals of time travel.

There is approximately one science fiction
story to write about this, where it comes as
a surprise to the traveller. A slight variation
is to use it to get rid of an enemy, or to escape
from an enemy if you are equipped to survive
the experience.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jan 24, 2017, 4:44:30 PM1/24/17
David Johnston <Davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:o6890v$fif
$6...@dont-email.me:
It is when you're desparately trying to defend a stupid position,
and have nothing to work with but word games.

And pretending a work of fiction is real.

David Johnston

Jan 24, 2017, 5:12:21 PM1/24/17
That's OK. They have a right to be wrong.

Quadibloc

Jan 24, 2017, 5:30:52 PM1/24/17
On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 9:57:10 PM UTC-7, Kevrob wrote:

(quoting someone)
> > > I finally got around to *reading* the Finney last fall. It's a
> > > quiet story for the most part. Its real novelty is in its method
> > > of time travel, which reminds me of nothing so much as Professor
> > > Harold Hill's "think system". If you want to travel to the 1880s,
> > > you need to *think* 1880s. If you get yourself into enough of an
> > > 1880s feeling, you'll be there, so there's a large warehouse-like
> > > building with sets from different eras to help travelers prepare.

> "Time Travel Hypnosis" was the way Batman and Robin had adventures in
> the past, starting in 1944.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Carter_Nichols

I was thinking of that when I saw that post!

John Savard

Michael F. Stemper

Jan 24, 2017, 6:01:19 PM1/24/17
On 2017-01-24 15:38, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 January 2017 00:20:00 UTC, Robert Carnegie wrote:
>> On Monday, 23 January 2017 23:41:51 UTC, Robert Bannister wrote:

>>> One of the things no time travel story I've read ever makes clear is how
>>> the return journey manages to return a few minutes after the journey
>>> began - how difficult would it be to stop it returning to the exact same
>>> point in time as the departure, and how paradoxical would that be?
>>
>> Well, if you leave the present day at 12:00 and
>> visit the year 1959, and then travel forward
>> to 11:55 today, you are still in the past, with
>> all the scope for paradox that that /may/ allow.

>> Practically, the trip forward from past to present
>> probably follows a track that you cut through the
>> cosmic phloem on the way back to the past, and
>> delivers you just after the end of that track, i.e.
>> the instant after you originally left.
>
> Oh - and if you travel back in time to the same
> point in space - which seems to be a popular
> technique in fiction - in fact the planet Earth
> was elsewhere in space at that time, for most
> useful intervals of time travel.
>
> There is approximately one science fiction
> story to write about this, where it comes as
> a surprise to the traveller.

The first story I know of that explicitly addressed this issue
is _The Time Axis_, by Henry Kuttner.

--
Michael F. Stemper
I feel more like I do now than I did when I came in.

Robert Bannister

Jan 24, 2017, 8:34:51 PM1/24/17
We never did botany at school, so I had never heard of "phloem". What a
lovely word.

Robert Bannister

Jan 24, 2017, 8:36:09 PM1/24/17
While I wasn't looking, somebody's been adding years to my years.

Robert Bannister

Jan 24, 2017, 8:37:42 PM1/24/17
Certainly unstated in most of the stories I've read.

Don Kuenz

Jan 24, 2017, 9:07:31 PM1/24/17
Space.com says that the sun and the solar system rotate around the
center of the Milky Way Galaxy at 515,000 miles per hour (828,000
kilometers per hour). [1] If you give storied time machines the
benefit of the doubt then they can implicitly compensate for this
movement, whether they know it or not. The time machine in
_Enemy of the State_ (Wilson) is different. It explicitly exploits
movement through space.

spoiler space

When the precise nanosecond for firing arrived, the timer
pulsed the trigger, which in turn sent a signal to the Barsky
box in the vault, activating it. The money in the vault, along
with small amounts of synthestone from the walls and floors,
abruptly disappeared. The package traveled 1.37 nanoseconds
into the past and appeared in the air over Primus City at the
exact locus the treasury vault was destined to occupy 1.37
from then.

Note.

1. http://www.space.com/19915-milky-way-galaxy.html

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU

Backward, turn backward, O Time, in your flight,
Make me a child again just for tonight!
- Elizabeth Akers Allen

tsbr...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2017, 9:18:19 PM1/24/17
I was delivering newspapers.

Gene Wirchenko

Jan 24, 2017, 10:03:25 PM1/24/17
On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 15:58:12 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

[snip]

>In fact, time travel into the future IS possible. We're all
>doing it, at the rate of twenty-four hours* per day.

Nope. It never works. We just stay in the present.

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Titus G

Jan 24, 2017, 11:25:29 PM1/24/17
On 25/01/17 16:03, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 15:58:12 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
> Heydt) wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> In fact, time travel into the future IS possible. We're all
>> doing it, at the rate of twenty-four hours* per day.
>
> Nope. It never works. We just stay in the present.

Hasn't this been considered here before? Isn't there nothing but the
immediate and the immediate past because the instant you start to think
about the present, it is the past, etc ?
Is the answer to my first question in the thread title?

Titus G

Jan 24, 2017, 11:26:18 PM1/24/17
On 25/01/17 15:05, Don Kuenz wrote:
> Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:

An interesting thread, thank you.

Titus G

Jan 24, 2017, 11:42:00 PM1/24/17
On 25/01/17 17:25, Titus G wrote:
> On 25/01/17 16:03, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 15:58:12 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
>> Heydt) wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> In fact, time travel into the future IS possible. We're all
>>> doing it, at the rate of twenty-four hours* per day.
>>
>> Nope. It never works. We just stay in the present.
>
> Hasn't this been considered here before? Isn't there nothing but the
> immediate

FUTURE

Gene Wirchenko

Jan 25, 2017, 12:02:20 AM1/25/17
On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 09:36:06 +0800, Robert Bannister
<rob...@clubtelco.com> wrote:

[snip]

>While I wasn't looking, somebody's been adding years to my years.

NO! Who would do such a thing?

>--
Robert B. born England a long long long time ago;
(faraway galaxy optional)
>Western Australia since 1972

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Robert Carnegie

Jan 25, 2017, 2:46:01 AM1/25/17
Ah, bank robbery by time travel without space
travel, that's an angle I hadn't thought of and
one to surprise Batman, Sherlock, the readers,
etc. "The Adventure of the Evacuated Exchequer".

As for the outcome - I see,
<http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/315239.An_Enemy_of_the_State>
refers to making it rain money. So a political
rather than an obviously practical act.

A short story by Isaac Asimov also comes to
mind now, but I don't want to spoil it too much.
Decode if you want - devil involves pact the
with it a.
devil.

David DeLaney

Jan 25, 2017, 4:20:24 AM1/25/17

Speaking of which, has anyone mentioned Ian Wallace's "Croyd" books yet?

Dave, where IIRC time travel to the past is possible but more difficult the
further back you want to go?

ps: come to think of it, Moran's Great Wheel has at least two entirely
different methods of time travel used in various stories/fragments, one of
which only works when your timeline's far enough away from the Entity bound to
the Pole of Law
gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

J. Clarke

Jan 25, 2017, 5:08:04 AM1/25/17
In article <o68jcv$psp$1...@dont-email.me>,
Davidjo...@yahoo.com says...
You end up in the same place so how is there a
difference? I think what you want is to be able
to travel to the future and _return_ which
implies being able to travel to the past from
the future.

J. Clarke

Jan 25, 2017, 5:19:45 AM1/25/17
In article <s95g8c5o004lkmcv59evvu3s6jsk6c3irc@
4ax.com>, ge...@telus.net says...

> On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 15:58:12 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
> Heydt) wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >In fact, time travel into the future IS possible. We're all
> >doing it, at the rate of twenty-four hours* per day.
>
> Nope. It never works. We just stay in the present.

In the future, however you get there, you'll
still be in the present.

Robert Carnegie

Jan 25, 2017, 7:05:28 AM1/25/17
Unless you're travelling!

Although, most people travelling, later return
to the same place - if, again, we disregard
the movement of the Earth itself through space.

> I think what you want is to be able
> to travel to the future and _return_ which
> implies being able to travel to the past from
> the future.

That is the more difficult part, which is
why it's more interesting to discuss.

Joe Bernstein

Jan 25, 2017, 12:35:00 PM1/25/17
On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 1:38:39 PM UTC-8, Robert Carnegie
wrote, quoting himself:

> > Practically, the trip forward from past to present
> > probably follows a track that you cut through the
> > cosmic phloem on the way back to the past, and
> > delivers you just after the end of that track, i.e.
> > the instant after you originally left.
>
> Oh - and if you travel back in time to the same
> point in space - which seems to be a popular
> technique in fiction - in fact the planet Earth
> was elsewhere in space at that time, for most
> useful intervals of time travel.
>
> There is approximately one science fiction
> story to write about this, where it comes as
> a surprise to the traveller.

Well, then there's more than one, because in Kay Kenyon's <Leap Point>
it's part of the premise and no surprise to anyone.

(I'd forgotten <The Time Axis>, which I'm pretty sure I recently re-
read, though.)

-- JLB

Robert Woodward

Jan 25, 2017, 12:38:28 PM1/25/17
In article <pOydnQXKN5BM8BXF...@earthlink.com>,
David DeLaney <davidd...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Speaking of which, has anyone mentioned Ian Wallace's "Croyd" books yet?
>
> Dave, where IIRC time travel to the past is possible but more difficult the
> further back you want to go?

In Poul Anderson's "Flight to Forever", our brave time explorers went a
century forward, and then couldn't get back because of ever increasing
energy requirements (and stopping a bit didn't help).

Robert Woodward robe...@drizzle.com

Dorothy J Heydt

Jan 25, 2017, 4:00:06 PM1/25/17
In article <robertaw-0FE711...@news.individual.net>,
Robert Woodward <robe...@drizzle.com> wrote:

>> Speaking of which, has anyone mentioned Ian Wallace's "Croyd" books yet?
>>
>> Dave, where IIRC time travel to the past is possible but more difficult the
>> further back you want to go?
>
>In Poul Anderson's "Flight to Forever", our brave time explorers went a
>century forward, and then couldn't get back because of ever increasing
>energy requirements (and stopping a bit didn't help).

Just couldn't generate those 1.21 gigawatts?

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jan 25, 2017, 4:17:37 PM1/25/17
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in
Maybe bananas had gone extinct?

Robert Bannister

Jan 25, 2017, 11:01:16 PM1/25/17
Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at 900 miles an hour.
It's orbiting at 19 miles a second, so it's reckoned,
The sun that is the source of all our power.
Now the sun, and you and me, and all the stars that we can see,
Are moving at a million miles a day,
In the outer spiral arm, at 40,000 miles an hour,
Of a galaxy we call the Milky Way.

For a song, the numbers are pretty close to the real thing.