"Earthman, Beware!" s.s. by Poul Anderson

a425couple

Jun 8, 2017, 10:31:05 PM6/8/17
The Short Story "Earthman, Beware!" by Poul Anderson,
1951, is in my opinion, just so-so. It is one of 8 short
stories from his book "Strangers from Earth".

http://poulandersonappreciation.blogspot.com/2013/07/earthman-beware.html

the above site has some comments on the story that might stir up interest,
"Saturday, 27 July 2013
Earthman, Beware!

Poul Anderson's "Earthman, Beware!," --- collected in his Alight In The
Void (New York, 1993), is a superman story though not a Superman story.
It is not about Kal-El from Krypton but is about a superior humanoid
extraterrestrial found in a grain field as a baby and adopted by "...an
elderly local couple, childless and kindly." (p. 40)

This story was published in 1951, just twelve years after the first
installment of Superman. Did Anderson consciously mimic the origin of
Clark Kent or did these circumstances just seem appropriate to him as
they had to Jerry Siegel?

Anderson's superman, Joel Weatherfield: ---
at age six, patented, in his foster father's name, farm machinery
improvements that enabled his parents to buy any books or equipment that
he wanted instead of sending him to school;
soon devised a wig to conceal his permanent baldness;
conceals other bodily differences beneath clothes;
entered Harvard at thirteen;
graduated with every honor at fifteen;
invented the ion-jet space drive, the controlled-disintegration ion
process, the cure for the common cold, the crystalline-structure
determination of geological age and a robot chef;
won the Nobel prize in physics for his relativistic wave mechanics;
pioneered a new branch of mathematical series theory;
in his youth, wrote brilliantly on archaeology, economics, ecology and
semantics;
founded new schools in painting and poetry;
has an immeasurable IQ;
controls an errand-running cat by whistling;
developed an X-ray technique for photographing different layers of
tissue just to study himself;
used a variation of his crystalline-structure method to determine that
his deceased mother was at least five hundred years old;
has a heart with more functions than its human counterpart;
has a better organized brain, preventing insanity;
has, in the brain, a "telepathy center," sensitive to neural currents
in other organisms;
has developed limited telepathy by comparing human reactions and words
with detected emanations;
can also emit emanations although no human being can detect them;
quickly predicts any acquaintance's reactions and verbal responses;
knows their feelings better than they do;
has a cerebral center for voluntary control of pain, endocrine
regulation etc, but has not learned to use it effectively;
has not learned what some other centers are for;
became a multimillionaire in five years;
discovered a radiation unrelated to electromagnetism that will be the
subject of a further post;
thus, is homo superior in many ways that were beyond the imagination of
Jerry Siegel - --- "

He is not fitting in well,,,,,,!

David Johnston

Jun 9, 2017, 12:55:01 AM6/9/17
Not especially. Their first "Superman" actually was super in that he
had superior intellect. they recycled the name for the muscleman.

Kevrob

Jun 9, 2017, 5:36:24 AM6/9/17
"Reign of the Superman" from 1933.

https://archive.org/details/ReignOfTheSuperman

http://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2012/06/1933s-reign-of-superman-first-superman.html

ACTION COMICS debuted in 1938, so the Anderson was 13 years after that.

Kevin R

Carl Fink

Jun 9, 2017, 9:35:01 AM6/9/17
On 2017-06-09, a425couple <a425c...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Poul Anderson's "Earthman, Beware!," --- collected in his Alight In The
> Void (New York, 1993), is a superman story though not a Superman story.
> It is not about Kal-El from Krypton but is about a superior humanoid
> extraterrestrial found in a grain field as a baby and adopted by "...an
> elderly local couple, childless and kindly." (p. 40)
>
> This story was published in 1951, just twelve years after the first
> installment of Superman. Did Anderson consciously mimic the origin of
> Clark Kent or did these circumstances just seem appropriate to him as
> they had to Jerry Siegel?

You realize that they're both derivative of the Moses story, right?
--
Carl Fink nitpi...@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

a425couple

Jun 9, 2017, 11:14:25 AM6/9/17
On 6/9/2017 6:34 AM, Carl Fink wrote:
> On 2017-06-09, a425couple <a425c...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Poul Anderson's "Earthman, Beware!," --- collected in his Alight In The
>> Void (New York, 1993), is a superman story though not a Superman story.
>> It is not about Kal-El from Krypton but is about a superior humanoid
>> extraterrestrial found in a grain field as a baby and adopted by "...an
>> elderly local couple, childless and kindly." (p. 40)
>>
>> This story was published in 1951, just twelve years after the first
>> installment of Superman. Did Anderson consciously mimic the origin of
>> Clark Kent or did these circumstances just seem appropriate to him as
>> they had to Jerry Siegel?
>
> You realize that they're both derivative of the Moses story, right?

Yes.
Moses seems to have 'fit in' fine for 40 years, until chucking
it in to find himself and his calling.
In "Earthman, Beware!" Joel's high abilities are clear from
the start, and quite early on (20's) he tries to withdraw to find
his true nature & his people.

Can the child reared for a couple years by chimps or wolves ever
be taken and raised by humans as a normal human?
Anderson seems to think, NOT!

Kevrob

Jun 9, 2017, 12:08:24 PM6/9/17
Not found in rushes nor an escape rocket, the youth who grows
up with special powers meme was evinced in Phillip Wylie's
"Gladiator," from 1930. Hugo Danner's Pop was a scientist and
a college professor who experimented on his as yet unborn child.
Not the "meek and humble farm folk" of the other two stories,
but sited where young Hugo could get up to many tricks in a rural
setting where experimenting with his abilities would not be noticed.

How remote would a town like Littleton have been in the 30s?
Might it have inspired "Smallville" in the Superboy stories?
More likely it was a flip on Metropolis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiator_(novel)

Siegel always denied Wylie's book influenced him.

Kevin R

Don Kuenz

Jun 9, 2017, 11:09:45 PM6/9/17

Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 12:55:01 AM UTC-4, David Johnston wrote:
>> On 6/8/2017 8:30 PM, a425couple wrote:

<snip>

>> > thus, is homo superior in many ways that were beyond the imagination of
>> > Jerry Siegel - --- "
>> >

>> Not especially. Their first "Superman" actually was super in that he
>> had superior intellect. they recycled the name for the muscleman.
>
> "Reign of the Superman" from 1933.
>
> https://archive.org/details/ReignOfTheSuperman
>
> http://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2012/06/1933s-reign-of-superman-first-superman.html
>
> ACTION COMICS debuted in 1938, so the Anderson was 13 years after that.

Who knew? Other than you two guys. Nothing in "Reign of the Superman"
suggests the story of Moses to me.

OTOH, at some point the muscleman's back story includes being sent on a
journey as a baby to foster parents. The same thing happens to Moses.
?At some point Jor-El speaks to Kal-El in the manner of the burning
bush?

AFAIK Superman never murders anyone. OTOH Archangel Michael and Satan
fight over Moses' soul because Moses murdered a soldier.

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU

Carl Fink

Jun 11, 2017, 4:20:00 PM6/11/17
On 2017-06-10, Don Kuenz <g...@crcomp.net> wrote:

> AFAIK Superman never murders anyone. OTOH Archangel Michael and Satan
> fight over Moses' soul because Moses murdered a soldier.

Where is that story? It certainly is not in the Tanakh.

(Search, search)

Oh, it's one of the lesser-known Christian epistles, referring to another
now-lost book. And it doesn't say the above, it says the
two argued (not fought) over Moses' body (not soul).

I was referring to the actual Moses story, not the later Christian addons.

Don Kuenz

Jun 11, 2017, 4:55:51 PM6/11/17

Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> wrote:
> On 2017-06-10, Don Kuenz <g...@crcomp.net> wrote:
>
>> AFAIK Superman never murders anyone. OTOH Archangel Michael and Satan
>> fight over Moses' soul because Moses murdered a soldier.
>
> Where is that story? It certainly is not in the Tanakh.
>
> (Search, search)
>
> Oh, it's one of the lesser-known Christian epistles, referring to another
> now-lost book. And it doesn't say the above, it says the
> two argued (not fought) over Moses' body (not soul).
>
> I was referring to the actual Moses story, not the later Christian addons.

(reviews Jude)

Similarly, these dreamers nevertheless also defile the flesh,
scorn lordship, and revile glorious beings. Yet the archangel
Michael, when he argued with the devil in a dispute over the
body of Moses, did not venture to pronounce a reviling judgment
upon him but said, "May the Lord rebuke you!" But these people
revile what they do not understand and are destroyed by what
they know by nature like irrational animals.

Footnote:
/The archangel Michael . . . judgement/: a reference to an
incident the the apocryphal /Assumption of Moses/. Dt 34, 6 had
said of Moses, literally in Greek, "they buried him" or "he
(God?) buried him" (taken to me "he was buried"). The later
account tells how Michael, who was sent to bury him, was
challenged by the devil's interest in the body. Our author draws
out the point that if an archangel refrained from reviling even
the devil, how wrong it is for mere human beings to revile
glorious beings (angels).

Quadibloc

Jun 12, 2017, 12:20:04 PM6/12/17
On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 2:55:51 PM UTC-6, Don Kuenz wrote:
> a reference to an
> incident the the apocryphal /Assumption of Moses/.

Of course, since Scripture now establishes that incident as fact, why isn't the
Assumption of Moses in the Christian Old Testamenmt canon?

John Savard

Kevrob

Jun 12, 2017, 12:52:10 PM6/12/17
All it takes is an editor's OK to retcon Superman.
Bible retcons are much more complicated, and while
comics fans can get testy, they rarely kill anybody
over what's in the canon,

Kevin R

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 12, 2017, 3:15:08 PM6/12/17
In article <40ac23f4-4b09-4d18...@googlegroups.com>,
Wait. "Scripture *now* establishes ..." ??

Has somebody been revising Scripture lately? Who, and by what
authority?

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Scott Lurndal

Jun 12, 2017, 3:23:42 PM6/12/17
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) writes:
>In article <40ac23f4-4b09-4d18...@googlegroups.com>,
>Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>>On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 2:55:51 PM UTC-6, Don Kuenz wrote:
>>> a reference to an
>>> incident the the apocryphal /Assumption of Moses/.
>>
>>Of course, since Scripture now establishes that incident as fact, why isn't the
>>Assumption of Moses in the Christian Old Testamenmt canon?
>
>Wait. "Scripture *now* establishes ..." ??
>
>Has somebody been revising Scripture lately? Who, and by what
>authority?

Some guy named king james. No, the other one.

Quadibloc

Jun 12, 2017, 3:27:44 PM6/12/17
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 1:15:08 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <40ac23f4-4b09-4d18...@googlegroups.com>,
> Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
> >On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 2:55:51 PM UTC-6, Don Kuenz wrote:

> >> a reference to an
> >> incident the the apocryphal /Assumption of Moses/.

> >Of course, since Scripture now establishes that incident as fact, why isn't the
> >Assumption of Moses in the Christian Old Testamenmt canon?

> Wait. "Scripture *now* establishes ..." ??

> Has somebody been revising Scripture lately? Who, and by what
> authority?

To the extent I was thinking of the canon of Scripture having changed from a
prior state, the change consisted of the addition of the New Testament.

John Savard

Peter Trei

Jun 12, 2017, 3:50:08 PM6/12/17
The most recent change I'm aware of is in 1943, when translations from other
then the Vulgate became permissible. The RCC version of the NT was more or
less settled the the 16th C, though as late as 1870 the official RCC texts
of Mark, Luke, and John were modified.

Of course, the Armenian, Catholic, Coptic, Syrian, and Ethiopian versions
of the NT somewhat differ.

pt

pt

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 12, 2017, 4:45:03 PM6/12/17
In article <%SB%A.37561$_O7....@fx31.iad>,
Well, the translators of the KJV were *supposed* to be making a
more accurate translation than had previously been available.

/google

Wikipedia says, "The Assumption of Moses (otherwise called the Testament
of Moses) is a Jewish apocryphal pseudepigraphical work. It is known
from a single sixth-century incomplete manuscript in Latin that was
discovered by Antonio Ceriani in the Biblioteca Ambrosiana in
Milan in the mid-nineteenth century and published by him in 1861."

Note the word "apocryphal."

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 12, 2017, 4:45:05 PM6/12/17
In article <542cc45c-8fb6-4e2c...@googlegroups.com>,
Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 1:15:08 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>> In article <40ac23f4-4b09-4d18...@googlegroups.com>,
>> Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

>> >Of course, since Scripture now establishes that incident as fact, why
>isn't the
>> >Assumption of Moses in the Christian Old Testamenmt canon?
>
>> Wait. "Scripture *now* establishes ..." ??
>
>> Has somebody been revising Scripture lately? Who, and by what
>> authority?
>
>To the extent I was thinking of the canon of Scripture having changed from a
>prior state, the change consisted of the addition of the New Testament.

But the Assumption of Moses isn't among those elements of the New
Testament that were judged by the early Fathers of the Church to be
canonical. See my post a few posts upthread.

Robert Carnegie

Jun 12, 2017, 5:18:31 PM6/12/17
Mature Readers know that whatever is taken
out of canon may be put back in later.

More trouble is what's in comics canon that
you don't like. But if other people also
don't like it, it may simply disappear.
I think a writer of Catwoman ignored
a supporting character's murder because
it was distasteful, although they might
be dead again now.

Does anyone know if Superman's parents are
alive at the moment? The Earth ones.

Is Wonder Woman made of clay? I've read
a serial where it's just a cover story
so I'm confused.

The bible also has dead people coming back
and so forth.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jun 12, 2017, 5:34:49 PM6/12/17
In article <3e5d7648-fb26-4c0b...@googlegroups.com>,
Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:
>On Monday, 12 June 2017 17:52:10 UTC+1, Kevrob wrote:
>> >
>> > Of course, since Scripture now establishes that incident as fact,
>why isn't the
>> > Assumption of Moses in the Christian Old Testamenmt canon?
>>

>> All it takes is an editor's OK to retcon Superman.
>> Bible retcons are much more complicated, and while
>> comics fans can get testy, they rarely kill anybody
>> over what's in the canon,
>
>Mature Readers know that whatever is taken
>out of canon may be put back in later.
>
>More trouble is what's in comics canon that
>you don't like. But if other people also
>don't like it, it may simply disappear.

Mopee!
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jun 12, 2017, 5:39:49 PM6/12/17
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 14:18:26 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
<rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:

>More trouble is what's in comics canon that
>you don't like. But if other people also
>don't like it, it may simply disappear.
>I think a writer of Catwoman ignored
>a supporting character's murder because
>it was distasteful, although they might
>be dead again now.
>
>Does anyone know if Superman's parents are
>alive at the moment? The Earth ones.

The Kents? They were still dead last I saw.

>Is Wonder Woman made of clay? I've read
>a serial where it's just a cover story
>so I'm confused.

The most recent revival of her title established that it was a cover
story. She's actually the daughter of Zeus and Hippolyte, which seems
to be what's in the movie, too. I guess that's the new canon.

>The bible also has dead people coming back
>and so forth.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jun 12, 2017, 5:43:03 PM6/12/17
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 17:39:47 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans
<misencha...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 14:18:26 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
><rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:
>
>>More trouble is what's in comics canon that
>>you don't like. But if other people also
>>don't like it, it may simply disappear.
>>I think a writer of Catwoman ignored
>>a supporting character's murder because
>>it was distasteful, although they might
>>be dead again now.
>
>>Is Wonder Woman made of clay? I've read
>>a serial where it's just a cover story
>>so I'm confused.
>
>The most recent revival of her title established that it was a cover
>story. She's actually the daughter of Zeus and Hippolyte, which seems
>to be what's in the movie, too. I guess that's the new canon.

The movie also says that Zeus was the Amazons' patron, where last I
saw in the comics it was still Athena.

When I was a kid ONLY goddesses approved of the existence of Paradise
Island, so that it was hidden from gods as well as men, and Amazons
swore by Hera and Athena and Aphrodite, never by Zeus. Apparently
that was too much feminity for the folks at DC to accept.

Peter Trei

Jun 12, 2017, 5:52:37 PM6/12/17
Just saw the movie (fluff, but fun fluff). IIRC, Hippolyte tells young Diana
something to the effect of 'I sculpted you from clay, and Zeus breathed life
into you.", which could be an allegorical description of the more standard
process.

Diana and the protag have an incredibly awkward/funny conversation, where it
becomes clear that she has a good theoretical understanding of the birds and
the bees, but thinks girls do it better.

pt

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jun 12, 2017, 5:58:58 PM6/12/17
In article <nd2ujcdk1o7hguokc...@reader80.eternal-september.org>,
Lawrence Watt-Evans <misencha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 14:18:26 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
><rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:
>
>>More trouble is what's in comics canon that
>>you don't like. But if other people also
>>don't like it, it may simply disappear.
>>I think a writer of Catwoman ignored
>>a supporting character's murder because
>>it was distasteful, although they might
>>be dead again now.
>>
>>Does anyone know if Superman's parents are
>>alive at the moment? The Earth ones.
>
>The Kents? They were still dead last I saw.
>
>>Is Wonder Woman made of clay? I've read
>>a serial where it's just a cover story
>>so I'm confused.
>
>The most recent revival of her title established that it was a cover
>story. She's actually the daughter of Zeus and Hippolyte, which seems
>to be what's in the movie, too. I guess that's the new canon.

There is a Geoff Johns credit on the movie.

Entertaining, but I thought it was a little bit much making her a full-on
Olympian god.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jun 12, 2017, 6:01:03 PM6/12/17
In article <1b6f3050-585a-4058...@googlegroups.com>,
Apparently that's the conclusion of an epic 12 part mini-series :-)

Kevrob

Jun 12, 2017, 8:04:06 PM6/12/17
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 5:39:49 PM UTC-4, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 14:18:26 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
> <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:
>
> >More trouble is what's in comics canon that
> >you don't like. But if other people also
> >don't like it, it may simply disappear.
> >I think a writer of Catwoman ignored
> >a supporting character's murder because
> >it was distasteful, although they might
> >be dead again now.
> >
> >Does anyone know if Superman's parents are
> >alive at the moment? The Earth ones.
>
> The Kents? They were still dead last I saw.
>
> >Is Wonder Woman made of clay? I've read
> >a serial where it's just a cover story
> >so I'm confused.
>
> The most recent revival of her title established that it was a cover
> story. She's actually the daughter of Zeus and Hippolyte, which seems
> to be what's in the movie, too. I guess that's the new canon.

This I don't like. I always figured (once I was clued in to sex
and had read some Bulfinch,) that Herakles had wooed Hippolyte,
and knocked her up.

see: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/Herakles/amazon.html

In Marston's WW #1, 1941, the backstory is that the Amazons defeat
Hercules, he, in captivity, sweet talks the queen an gets her to
take off her "magic girdle."

http://www.cosmicteams.com/jsa/profiles/wonder-woman-earth-two.html

[In 1941, if you talked a girl out of her girdle before you
married her, you were a class A Casanova!)

"I made you out of clay, and the goddesses gave you life..."
sounds like a story Unmarried Mom told her "miracle baby,"
not unlike "your dad was in the Navy, and his ship was sunk."

Now, in the original continuity, Hercules defeats the Amazons
with their queen deprived of her girdle. Hippolyte prays
to Aphrodite for relief from slavery. The goddess breaks
the warrior women's chains, and they proceed to run the
Greek men off.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/2c67e29df48d888ed567a1d325b42eeb/tumblr_o8atwv3bhX1rz1rzuo1_500.png

https://68.media.tumblr.com/ebe2721cdc63719cd16da6c64dfcb06a/tumblr_inline_o88w84UgFQ1rrbhi0_540.png

Now, the editors of the All-American Comics group were happy
to show pretty girls in manacles and chains, and otherwise
bound, but explicitly referring to rape, even pre-Comics Code,
would have been going to far. It's surprising the amazons didn't
have a whole nursery of "miracle babies" nine months after
Herc's visit. I could see them raising the girls, and
exposing the boys on a nearby island, the more barren, the
better.

> >The bible also has dead people coming back and so forth.

In the comics, even Bucky eventually came back!

Kevin R

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 12, 2017, 8:24:55 PM6/12/17
On 6/12/2017 2:39 PM, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 14:18:26 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
> <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:
>
>> More trouble is what's in comics canon that
>> you don't like. But if other people also
>> don't like it, it may simply disappear.
>> I think a writer of Catwoman ignored
>> a supporting character's murder because
>> it was distasteful, although they might
>> be dead again now.
>>
>> Does anyone know if Superman's parents are
>> alive at the moment? The Earth ones.
>
> The Kents? They were still dead last I saw.
>
>> Is Wonder Woman made of clay? I've read
>> a serial where it's just a cover story
>> so I'm confused.
>
> The most recent revival of her title established that it was a cover
> story. She's actually the daughter of Zeus and Hippolyte, which seems
> to be what's in the movie, too. I guess that's the new canon.

In the 2017 movie Hippolyte says she fashioned Diana out of clay, which
Zeus then brought to life. There is a mildly spoiler twist to that at
the end of the movie but it doesn't contradict the "made from clay" origin.

--
"That's my secret, Captain: I'm always angry."

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jun 12, 2017, 10:26:29 PM6/12/17
In article <ohnb5t$quo$2...@dont-email.me>,
Hmm, that's not the way I read it. I thought the "made from clay,
brought to life" origin was clearly (in the movie) just a nice
little story Hippolyta told young Diana in lieu of the full truth.

Cryptoengineer

Jun 12, 2017, 11:04:17 PM6/12/17
Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote in
Marston was an ... interesting character. He was a psychologist,
contributed to the inventon of the polygraph (ref: lasso of
truth), promoted matriarchy, and created WW explicitly to provide
a role model for girls.

... and he also lived in a long-term menage a trois with his
wife and their girlfriend.

pt

Quadibloc

Jun 12, 2017, 11:25:54 PM6/12/17
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 2:45:05 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> But the Assumption of Moses isn't among those elements of the New
> Testament that were judged by the early Fathers of the Church to be
> canonical. See my post a few posts upthread.

No, but the book of Jude *is*, in which the battle between Lucifer and Michael
over Moses was referenced.

John Savard

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jun 13, 2017, 12:54:36 AM6/13/17
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 14:52:35 -0700 (PDT), Peter Trei
<pete...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 5:39:49 PM UTC-4, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 14:18:26 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
>> <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:
>>
>> >More trouble is what's in comics canon that
>> >you don't like. But if other people also
>> >don't like it, it may simply disappear.
>> >I think a writer of Catwoman ignored
>> >a supporting character's murder because
>> >it was distasteful, although they might
>> >be dead again now.
>> >
>> >Does anyone know if Superman's parents are
>> >alive at the moment? The Earth ones.
>>
>> The Kents? They were still dead last I saw.
>>
>> >Is Wonder Woman made of clay? I've read
>> >a serial where it's just a cover story
>> >so I'm confused.
>>
>> The most recent revival of her title established that it was a cover
>> story. She's actually the daughter of Zeus and Hippolyte, which seems
>> to be what's in the movie, too. I guess that's the new canon.
>
>Just saw the movie (fluff, but fun fluff). IIRC, Hippolyte tells young Diana
>something to the effect of 'I sculpted you from clay, and Zeus breathed life
>into you.", which could be an allegorical description of the more standard
>process.

Or it could be deliberately ambiguous as to which origin they want to
go with.

Robert Carnegie

Jun 13, 2017, 4:24:10 AM6/13/17
That doesn't mean that "The Assumption of Moses"
isn't (wasn't) fan-fic, even if the Michael and
Lucifer thing happened. (I don't practise
religion.)

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistle_of_Jude>
discusses the difficulty of Jude quoting Enoch
as well as Assumption. But... nowadays,
isn't there a lot of the bible that the
average Christian doesn't believe?
Noah's Ark, the whole Exodus, details like that.

Juho Julkunen

Jun 13, 2017, 8:43:27 AM6/13/17
In article <212e1089-277c-4876...@googlegroups.com>,
kev...@my-deja.com says...

> > >The bible also has dead people coming back and so forth.
>
> In the comics, even Bucky eventually came back!

Everyone has come back, except for Uncle Ben.

--
Juho Julkunen

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 13, 2017, 10:58:02 AM6/13/17
We have no evidence either way about whether Hyppolyta was telling Diana
the truth or not.

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 13, 2017, 10:59:16 AM6/13/17
Wasn't there a fake Uncle Ben at one point?

Greg Goss

Jun 13, 2017, 11:11:34 AM6/13/17
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:

>In article <40ac23f4-4b09-4d18...@googlegroups.com>,
>Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>>On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 2:55:51 PM UTC-6, Don Kuenz wrote:
>>> a reference to an
>>> incident the the apocryphal /Assumption of Moses/.
>>
>>Of course, since Scripture now establishes that incident as fact, why isn't the
>>Assumption of Moses in the Christian Old Testamenmt canon?
>
>Wait. "Scripture *now* establishes ..." ??
>
>Has somebody been revising Scripture lately? Who, and by what
>authority?

I think his "lately" means post-0 BCE

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jun 13, 2017, 11:14:08 AM6/13/17
In article <ohouav$gav$1...@dont-email.me>,
SPOILERS FOR MOVIE

Not entirely true. Ares regards Diana as a sister. That's more plausible
for a biological (or whatever gods use as biology) child of Zeus than for
an object imbued with Zeus's power. Is it conclusive? No. Is it strongly
suggestive? Yes.

Scott Lurndal

Jun 13, 2017, 11:54:57 AM6/13/17
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> writes:
>On 6/13/2017 5:43 AM, Juho Julkunen wrote:
>> In article <212e1089-277c-4876...@googlegroups.com>,
>> kev...@my-deja.com says...

>>> In the comics, even Bucky eventually came back!
>>
>> Everyone has come back, except for Uncle Ben.
>>
>Wasn't there a fake Uncle Ben at one point?

Like the new fake Colonel Sanders?

Kevrob

Jun 13, 2017, 12:48:51 PM6/13/17
Chicken and rice?

Uncle Ben Parker, in this case.

When I was a kid, I wondered how rice could change religions. :)

Kevin R

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jun 13, 2017, 12:57:03 PM6/13/17
In article <572c8b72-0a4e-4e93...@googlegroups.com>,
"What's white and crawls up your legs?"

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jun 13, 2017, 1:30:17 PM6/13/17
t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote in
When I was a kid, we had a cat like that.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Robert Carnegie

Jun 13, 2017, 1:58:04 PM6/13/17
On Tuesday, 13 June 2017 15:59:16 UTC+1, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 6/13/2017 5:43 AM, Juho Julkunen wrote:
> > In article <212e1089-277c-4876...@googlegroups.com>,
> > kev...@my-deja.com says...

> >> In the comics, even Bucky eventually came back!
> >
> > Everyone has come back, except for Uncle Ben.
>
> Wasn't there a fake Uncle Ben at one point?

There was a parallel-universe Ben Parker
who appeared briefly - and then was replaced
by... well, that's telling. See here -
<http://www.spiderfan.org/comics/reviews/friendly_neighborhood_spiderman/010.html>

Marvel's "What If" comic format has had two
takes on the story:

<http://siskoid.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/what-if-spider-mans-uncle-ben-had-lived.html>

<http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/What_If_Aunt_May_Had_Died_Instead_of_Uncle_Ben%3F_Vol_1_1>

I prefer the first of the two, although
it isn't exactly wrapped up. In serial
comics and in real life, a family
reconciliation doesn't necessarily last.

Then of course there was Spider-Verse
where lots of parallel-universe Spider-heroes
met up.

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 13, 2017, 2:03:28 PM6/13/17
Well, Ares motives for saying that at the time are just a touch
suspicious. ;) As for the rest this is the same universe that has
Kryptonite only poisoning Kryptonians so I think basing arguments about
how things work there on how biology works here may not be the most
solid foundation. :)

Yes, in the third WW movie they'll say Hyppolyta lied and really did
have sex with Steve Trevor's umpteen-great grandfather and two movies
after that they'll retcon her back to being magical clay but let's not
go there yet. :)

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 13, 2017, 2:03:43 PM6/13/17
Which one?

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jun 13, 2017, 2:05:15 PM6/13/17
In article <d03a853e-e8e9-4750...@googlegroups.com>,
Then there was Peter David's take on Uncle Ben, never put in an actual comic
as far as I know, but mentioned over several years at conventions:

Q: Why did the petty thief Spider-Man failed to stop show up at
Uncle Ben's house?

A: Uncle Ben was a fence.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jun 13, 2017, 2:29:29 PM6/13/17
t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote in
As is the fact that "only a god can kill a god" and Diana kills
Ares.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jun 13, 2017, 2:31:26 PM6/13/17
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in
"And if you have a dead body, that only proves they're still
alive."

I do note that we did not actually Steve Trevor die on camera. But
this movie, especially the modern day scene at the end, does not
lend itself well to that sort of sequel. (Not that will stop the
studio if they smell more money.)

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jun 13, 2017, 2:50:06 PM6/13/17
In article <XnsA7937539193...@69.16.179.42>,
Wonder Woman flies backwards around the world real fast..

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jun 13, 2017, 2:52:08 PM6/13/17
t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote in
I can think of stupider ideas. So can Hollywood. And you *know*
I'm right.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jun 13, 2017, 3:28:58 PM6/13/17
The current one with the sly winks, or the previous one whose accent
was Louisiana instead of Kentucky?

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 13, 2017, 3:35:03 PM6/13/17
Or one of the dozen before them?

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 13, 2017, 4:30:07 PM6/13/17
In article <XnsA7936AD8236...@69.16.179.42>,
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote in
>
>> In article
>> <572c8b72-0a4e-4e93...@googlegroups.com>, Kevrob
>> <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>>>Chicken and rice?
>>>
>>>Uncle Ben Parker, in this case.
>>>
>>>When I was a kid, I wondered how rice could change religions. :)
>>>

>> "What's white and crawls up your legs?"
>
>When I was a kid, we had a cat like that.

Sebastian was like that, only grey and white.

(So what's the original answer?)

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jun 13, 2017, 4:35:00 PM6/13/17
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in
According to Google, "Uncle Ben's Perverted Rice." It's apparently
a word play on Uncle Ben's Converted Rice.

http://www.locowholesale.ca/image/cache/data/Food/rice/joe,s%20pics
%20740-500x500.jpg

I've heard funnier jokes.

Default User

Jun 13, 2017, 4:41:48 PM6/13/17

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 13, 2017, 5:13:04 PM6/13/17
I think they missed a few. There was one who's second commercial was
him walking into an office where people were discussing who the next
Colonel Sanders should be, realizing what was going on and saying
something like "Darn it, its only been two weeks!" (I think that was
Andy Richter.)

Robert Carnegie

Jun 13, 2017, 6:29:26 PM6/13/17

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jun 13, 2017, 6:59:30 PM6/13/17
Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote in
That was very, very wrong. Is there more?

Robert Carnegie

Jun 13, 2017, 8:19:14 PM6/13/17
On Tuesday, 13 June 2017 23:59:30 UTC+1, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
> Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote in
>
> > On Tuesday, 13 June 2017 21:41:48 UTC+1, Default User wrote:

> >> I hadn't realized how many there were:
> >>
> >> <https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/04/every-kfc-colone
> >> l-sanders-actor-ranked.html>
> >>

> >> Brian
> >
> > They've got their own multiverse.
> > <http://www.cbr.com/11-things-dc-comics-taught-us-about-kfcs-mult
> > idimensional-colonel-sanders/>
> >
> That was very, very wrong. Is there more?

The link to the actual "comic" - electronic
version - isn't working for me, either because
I'm outside the U.S. or it's expired.

Characters meeting their alternate versions
conventionally started with "Flash of Two Worlds!"
and regular encounters between the Second World War
era D.C. comics (were they D.C. then, I'm not sure)
and 1960s versions of "Justice Society" and
"Justice League". My attention was drawn by
the horde of alternates of Marvel's
"Captain Britain" who attended the funeral of
his / their patron, Merlin (that Merlin, but
didn't stay dead long after) - courtesy of
Alan Moore, who then used a similar device
while rebooting Image Comics' hero "Supreme"
into someone very like classic Superman -
the discarded versions of Supreme all meet
in an after-life Valhalla called "The Supremacy".

And Doctor Who sometimes meets his different
selves, but that's time travel with the same
character. And James Bond did the meet-up
of versions first (the original "Casino Royale"
film). Well, after the D.C. heroes did it.

So, there's more like that. There's also more
encounters between superheroes and products that
need selling. I think there may have been actually
more parody in-story versions than "serious" ones
of the story where a superhero distracts the villain
with delicious Hostess Twinkies cakes.

In the course of "The Phantom Raspberry Blower
of Old London Town", Queen Victoria was protected
by a squad of male police Queen Victoria
look-alikes, several of whom fell victim to
the P.R.B., and two of whom eventually married.
i.e. each other. In the 1970s this constituted
a joke.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 13, 2017, 8:45:05 PM6/13/17
In article <dd11f67c-aec1-4fbb...@googlegroups.com>,
There's always Michael Kurland's _The Unicorn Girl,_ in which
several real-world people meet their fictional counterparts, e.g.
T. A. Waters meets Sir Thomas Leseaux, Th.D.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jun 13, 2017, 11:55:19 PM6/13/17
Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote in
It's expired, but it's not hard to find elsewhere.

> And Doctor Who sometimes meets his different
> selves, but that's time travel with the same
> character.

One of the very rare cases where a character can meet himself
without split screen or CGI.

And James Bond did the meet-up

> So, there's more like that. There's also more
> encounters between superheroes and products that
> need selling. I think there may have been actually
> more parody in-story versions than "serious" ones
> of the story where a superhero distracts the villain
> with delicious Hostess Twinkies cakes.

I was hoping for more of the KFC stuff, in particular. Though I
suppose if there is more, it would suffer from the same fate as any
sequel done strictly for the money.

> In the course of "The Phantom Raspberry Blower
> of Old London Town", Queen Victoria was protected
> by a squad of male police Queen Victoria
> look-alikes, several of whom fell victim to
> the P.R.B., and two of whom eventually married.
> i.e. each other. In the 1970s this constituted
> a joke.

In the 1970s?

Greg Goss

Jun 14, 2017, 12:52:26 AM6/14/17
Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:

>Characters meeting their alternate versions
>conventionally started with "Flash of Two Worlds!"
>and regular encounters between the Second World War
>era D.C. comics (were they D.C. then, I'm not sure)
>and 1960s versions of "Justice Society" and
>"Justice League". My attention was drawn by
>the horde of alternates of Marvel's
>"Captain Britain" who attended the funeral of
>his / their patron, Merlin (that Merlin, but
>didn't stay dead long after) - courtesy of
>Alan Moore, who then used a similar device
>while rebooting Image Comics' hero "Supreme"
>into someone very like classic Superman -
>the discarded versions of Supreme all meet
>in an after-life Valhalla called "The Supremacy".
>
>And Doctor Who sometimes meets his different
>selves, but that's time travel with the same
>character. And James Bond did the meet-up
>of versions first (the original "Casino Royale"
>film). Well, after the D.C. heroes did it.

Gerrold did the time travel version with various editions of the Man
Who Folded Himself hanging out in a clubhouse kinda thing. I don't
remember how he pulled a female version of the guy out of some kind of
alternat reality.

I seem to remember Bond once telling a cop "Bond. James Bond" and the
cop replying "Yeah, and I'm Marilyn Monroe. Now give. What's your
name." I think it was at the end of the one set in San Francisco.
View to a Kill?

Gene Wirchenko

Jun 14, 2017, 1:49:39 PM6/14/17
Let me throw this into the bucket:

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2017/05/27/kfc-philippines-searches-for-new-colonel-sanders/

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Jerry Brown

Jun 14, 2017, 2:07:34 PM6/14/17
In one of Moorcock's books (IIRC the final Dorian Hawkmoon) the
various incarnations of the Eternal Champions meet up.

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

Robert Carnegie

Jun 14, 2017, 2:43:27 PM6/14/17

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jun 14, 2017, 2:49:57 PM6/14/17

> You wanted more "KFC Comics" -
>
> <http://www.basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2017/6/11/ho
> w-to-create-an-urban-legend>

Octo-chickens.

Moriarty

Jun 14, 2017, 6:02:52 PM6/14/17
On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 4:07:34 AM UTC+10, Jerry Brown wrote:

<snip>

> In one of Moorcock's books (IIRC the final Dorian Hawkmoon) the
> various incarnations of the Eternal Champions meet up.

You recall correctly. "The Quest for Tanelorn" is the volume in question, when Corum, Hawkmoon, Elric and Erekose all get together. That meeting was also told, this time from Elric's perspective, in "The Sailor on the Seas of Fate".

-Moriarty

David DeLaney

Jun 18, 2017, 10:19:04 PM6/18/17
On 2017-06-14, Jerry Brown <je...@jwbrown.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> In one of Moorcock's books (IIRC the final Dorian Hawkmoon) the
> various incarnations of the Eternal Champions meet up.

... _one_? They did it at least four different times, didn't they? (This is not
counting the repeated scenes in different novels which were the same meet-ups
from different incarnations' perspectives.)

Dave, not quite the record set by the Doctor though
gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

Kevrob

Jun 19, 2017, 11:55:26 AM6/19/17
In the 1986 reboot of SUPERMAN, the one where John Byrne wrote and
drew the new main title, and Marv Wolfman wrote and Jerry Ordway
drew the "old" Superman comic, temporarily renamed ADVENTURES OF
SUPERMAN, Kryptonite could poison Terrans: Lex Luthor developed cancer
from wearing a ring with a Green K stone. This being comics, he didn't
really die from it: a clone was ramped up, his brain transplanted,
and voila! - "Lex Luthor, Jr.," complete with a mass of red hair,
stepped in to fill "his late father's shoes."

> Yes, in the third WW movie they'll say Hyppolyta lied and really did
> have sex with Steve Trevor's umpteen-great grandfather and two movies
> after that they'll retcon her back to being magical clay but let's not
> go there yet. :)

I still say Queen H got it on with Herc.

Kevin R

Robert Carnegie

Jun 19, 2017, 1:59:45 PM6/19/17
On Monday, 19 June 2017 03:19:04 UTC+1, David DeLaney wrote:
> On 2017-06-14, Jerry Brown <je...@jwbrown.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> > In one of Moorcock's books (IIRC the final Dorian Hawkmoon) the
> > various incarnations of the Eternal Champions meet up.
>
> ... _one_? They did it at least four different times, didn't they? (This is not
> counting the repeated scenes in different novels which were the same meet-ups
> from different incarnations' perspectives.)
>
> Dave, not quite the record set by the Doctor though

<http://stormbringer.wikia.com/wiki/Eternal_Champion>
asserts that Doctor Who is an aspect of
The Eternal Champion - actually - which I may have
missed, in _The Coming of the Terraphiles_.

I've read one "Three Who Are One" meeting -
not counting Doctor Who's self-encounters -
and one "Four Who Are One", and apparently
there's another "Three" in _The Skrayling Tree_.

When The Eternal Champion does it, he/they
get gleefully slaughtery, as I recall, and are
in danger of forgetting permanently that they
have individual identities and lives. Usually
rather unsatisfactory lives for them, so no
great loss. Four is worse than three.

It seems to be established now that Doctor Who
can't remember encounters of the kind and other
people also may be vague on details. On the other
hand, if going back in time in order to put the
story right will win the day, then go he will.

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 19, 2017, 4:13:10 PM6/19/17
Nothing saying she didn't do both of them. :D

instinct are running screaming.