OT- true - NASA's Deep Space Gateway seen as key to bold plan for Mars and beyond

a425couple

Jan 17, 2018, 6:54:40 PM1/17/18

NASA's Deep Space Gateway seen as key to bold plan for Mars and beyond
Space agency eyes moon-orbiting space station as stepping stone to the
red planet.
by Dan Falk / Jan.17.2018 / 11:22 AM ET

The Deep Space Gateway, seen here in an artist's rendering, would be a
spaceport in lunar orbit.

Begun in 1998 and completed in 2011, the International Space Station is
celebrated as a remarkable feat of engineering as well as a far-flung
home away from home for the astronauts who have lived and worked aboard
the orbiting outpost.

But with the ISS slated for retirement in 2028, NASA is now making bold
plans for the next phase of human spaceflight. The plans call for
astronauts to return to the moon and then venture deeper into space. As
President Trump said in December, these will be the first steps toward
“an eventual mission to Mars and perhaps someday to many worlds beyond.”

A new space station is key to NASA’s plans. Unlike the ISS, the proposed
Deep Space Gateway (DSG) will orbit the moon rather than Earth. Its crew
will live and work a whopping quarter of a million miles from home — a
thousand times more distant than the ISS. While NASA has no immediate
plan to put astronauts on the lunar surface — something we haven’t done
since the Apollo missions came to an end in 1972 — putting up the DSG
will mark the first time in 45 years that humans will have ventured
beyond low-Earth orbit.

It’s a substantial undertaking, with a powerful new rocket and a new
crew capsule among the hardware requirements. The ultimate cost would
almost certainly exceed that of the estimated $125 billion it took to
build and operate the ISS. Even if Congress approves the necessary
funds, building the DSG will require NASA to team up with international
and private sector partners. NASA and Roscosmos, the Russian space
agency, issued an informal joint statement on cooperation last
September; the Japanese and Canadian space agencies have also expressed
interest.

But nothing is certain, and space stations and human spaceflight in
general have long had powerful critics. One of the most outspoken is Dr.
Steven Weinberg, the Nobel-winning theoretical physicist. He's called
the ISS an “orbital turkey” and said that “human beings don’t serve any
useful function in space.”

A CHALLENGING ENVIRONMENT
What would life be like on the Gateway? Lonely, for starters. From the
ISS, Earth looms large. At night, bright blotches of light visible
through the station’s windows mark the world’s great cities. But for
astronauts on the DSG, our planet will appear barely wider than a thumb
held at arm’s length. Help, if it’s needed, would be weeks away. In
contrast, the ISS can be evacuated in a matter of hours.

And the deep-space environment is inherently risky; radiation, including
high-energy cosmic rays, would pose an ever-present danger to astronauts.

(How Humans Might Outlive Earth, The Sun...And Even The Universe ---)

“It will be a challenging environment, for sure,” says Dr. Chris Impey,
a University of Arizona astronomer and the author of "Beyond: Our Future
in Space." “It would be a lot more cramped [than the ISS]… I think the
psychological stresses of being on the Gateway...would start to pile up.”

Even getting to the DSG will be a challenge. It will require a new
heavy-launch vehicle, known as the Space Launch System. Now under
development, the SLS will be the most powerful rocket ever built,
producing more thrust than the Saturn V rocket used for the Apollo
missions. The SLS, in conjunction with another planned craft, the Orion
crew capsule, will lift astronauts first into orbit around Earth and
then on to lunar orbit.

( NASA's Space Launch System, seen in this artist's rendering, is billed
as the world's most powerful rocket. NASA)

There are sound arguments for making the moon, or its immediate
environment, the next logical destination for human spaceflight. “It is
a natural progression,” says Impey. “The idea of eventually moving
beyond the Earth depends on it being routine to live and work in space,
to stay healthy, to feed yourself, and re-supply your station” — an
effort that began in earnest with the ISS and that would continue with
the proposed Gateway.

And, Impey says, in the DSG's low-gravity environment, “you’re kind of
liberated to [pursue] solar system exploration.”

STEPPING STONE TO MARS
After lunar orbit, the next obvious destination for DSG crews would be
the lunar surface, last visited by Apollo 17 astronauts Eugene Cernan
and Harrison Schmitt in December 1972. And then — eventually — Mars.

The DSG “would serve as a gateway to deep space,” Cheryl Warner, a
spokesperson with NASA’s Human Exploration and Operations Mission
Directorate, told NBC News MACH in an email, adding that the region of
space near the moon — the technical name is “cislunar space” — offers “a
true deep-space environment where we can gain experience for human
missions that push farther into the solar system, including Mars.”

Warner notes that the station’s exact design has yet to be pinned down,
though it will include a propulsion system and a crew habitat.

NASA is already far along on some of the key components. A non-crewed
test flight of the SLS, dubbed Exploration Mission-1, is planned for
December 2019. The aim is to send an Orion capsule around the moon, and
to deploy a half-dozen satellites. A second mission, planned for 2022,
would be the first with a crew. After that, NASA aims to conduct flights
at the rate of about one per year.

NASA astronauts practice an emergency egress from the Orion capsule in
the Gulf of Mexico in 2017. Mark Mulligan / Houston Chronicle Via AP
By the end of the 2020s, NASA hopes to conduct a year-long crewed
mission to “validate the readiness of the system to travel beyond the
Earth-moon system to Mars and other destinations,” the agency said in a
statement last spring.

Aside from sending humans farther from home than we’ve been in 50 years,
the Gateway will facilitate cutting-edge science. Last fall, NASA put
out a call for proposals for DSG-based experiments; these will be the
subject of a workshop to be held in Denver next month. NASA expects
proposals for “planetary science, astrophysics, Earth observations,
heliophysics [solar physics], fundamental space biology and human health
and performance.”

THE IMPERATIVE TO EXPLORE
Many spaceflight experts believe that no matter how much science could
be done aboard the DSG, the project can’t be justified on scientific
grounds alone.

“Yes, you can get some science done on the side — but science is way
down the list, and it is not the motivating factor,” says Dr. Richard
Binzel, a planetary scientist at the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology. He says a massive undertaking like the Deep Space Gateway
makes sense only as a stepping stone to the red planet.

“If we’re ever to go to Mars, we have to learn how to operate far from
the Earth," he says. "We need that operational experience. And I think
that is the motivation for the Deep Space Gateway — to gain operational
experience away from the comfort zone of low-Earth orbit.”

Of course, the ultimate reason for the push for the Deep Space Gateway —
and after it, Mars — comes from the conviction that humans must,
eventually, leave our home planet. Binzel quotes rocket pioneer
Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, who once said, “Earth is the cradle of humanity,
but one cannot live in a cradle forever.”

Robotic space missions — which by now have visited all of the solar
system’s planets — have been incredibly successful, and these have been
far cheaper than any mission involving a human crew. And yet, Binzel
says, the idea of humans in space sparks the imagination in a way that
no robotic mission can: “There’s something impactful about a fellow
human being in space, which is hard to quantify. I think it’s all about
human curiosity, the human imperative to be explorers.”

Is traveling at light speed possible?
02:15

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/nasa-s-deep-space-gateway-seen-key-bold-plan-mars-ncna838056

a425couple

Jan 17, 2018, 7:01:41 PM1/17/18
On 1/17/2018 3:54 PM, a425couple wrote:

> NASA's Deep Space Gateway seen as key to bold plan for Mars and beyond
> Space agency eyes moon-orbiting space station as stepping stone to the
> red planet.
> by Dan Falk / Jan.17.2018 / 11:22 AM ET
> https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/nasa-s-deep-space-gateway-seen-key-bold-plan-mars-ncna838056

> Is traveling at light speed possible?
> 02:15

Moderately OK video
https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/video/is-traveling-at-light-speed-possible-1105109059698

J. Clarke

Jan 17, 2018, 7:21:19 PM1/17/18
On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 15:54:26 -0800, a425couple
<a425c...@hotmail.com> wrote:

More NASA pipe dreams. NASA is over. They need to get used to it.

Bast

Jan 17, 2018, 7:45:06 PM1/17/18
NBC won how many of Trumps fake news awards ?

Peter Trei

Jan 18, 2018, 9:12:29 AM1/18/18
Like many, my gut reaction is that if Trump calls it fake, its probably true.

pt

Robert Carnegie

Jan 18, 2018, 7:44:52 PM1/18/18
Yup.

Did he actually do "fake news awards"? Or was that - er -
symptomatic?

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Jan 18, 2018, 7:53:01 PM1/18/18
Peter Trei <pete...@gmail.com> wrote in
People like you - liberals who are so delusional they're literally
hallucinating - are why he won, and why he'll win again if he runs
again, and why the Democrats won't see the inside of the White
House or a majority in either house of Congress for at least a
generation.

Keep up the good work. Seriously. The world is a better place for
as long as the Democrats don't matter.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Cryptoengineer

Jan 18, 2018, 9:14:53 PM1/18/18

Quadibloc

Jan 19, 2018, 8:32:32 AM1/19/18
On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 4:54:40 PM UTC-7, a425couple wrote:

> Robotic space missions — which by now have visited all of the solar
> system’s planets — have been incredibly successful, and these have been
> far cheaper than any mission involving a human crew. And yet, Binzel
> says, the idea of humans in space sparks the imagination in a way that
> no robotic mission can: “There’s something impactful about a fellow
> human being in space, which is hard to quantify. I think it’s all about
> human curiosity, the human imperative to be explorers.”

Sending humans into space, though, *because* it costs a lot of money, really
_should_ have a justification that is rational, not merely emotional.

One such justification is obvious: providing for the survival of the species and
of civilization in the event of difficulties on our crowded and conflict-prone
Earth.

John Savard

Quadibloc

Jan 19, 2018, 8:33:29 AM1/19/18
On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 5:45:06 PM UTC-7, Bast wrote:

> NBC won how many of Trumps fake news awards ?

Why would that matter, given that President Trump's level of regard for the truth
is well known?

John Savard

a425couple

Jan 19, 2018, 12:11:23 PM1/19/18
Yeah, like "If you like your health care plan,
you can keep it. Period!"

Ohhh, wait a minute, that was the prior jerk who
people thought sounded believable. And especially
when he repeated that fucking lie 43 times,
and totally blew up my wife's health care plan.

Kind of perfect timing though, the new health care
plan options & bills come out in mid-October, and
elections are 3 weeks later while the anger still burns.

And liberal idiots wonder why they held total control
of the federal government in 2009 & 2010 and passed the sucking
Obamacare, and the voters took the house from them in
Nov. 2010. And still the POTUS & Senate refused to
make any changes. So the voters took the Senate from
the liberal Dems in Nov. 2014. But still, "with a pen and
a phone" the bureaucracy grew!
So, in November 2016 the voters rejected the Democrats.
POTUS, Senate & House, all gone!
And the delusional idiots cried!

a425couple

Jan 19, 2018, 1:07:21 PM1/19/18
Yes.
But beyond just living there, they have to be self sufficient
in all critical requirements of living.

If dear mother earth is in global melt down, or total destruction,
the bi-monthly supply ship might be stopped.
Be prepared to live without regular charity!

Did you read that still!!!, on the ISS, there are no
laundry facilities? They wear clothes until they get
'too ripe', then discard for new/fresh.

Lynn McGuire

Jan 19, 2018, 1:45:14 PM1/19/18
“Are the Fake News Awards Persuasive?”
http://blog.dilbert.com/2018/01/18/fake-news-awards-persuasive/

“By now you know President Trump announced his winners for the Fake News
Awards. You can see them here. Let’s talk about what he got right in
terms of persuasion.”

The Fake News award winner are listed here. Apparently none of them
showed up to collect their awards, how odd.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/17/president-trump-reveals-winners-his-fake-news-awards.html

Lynn

Greg Goss

Jan 21, 2018, 2:13:57 AM1/21/18
He did it, apparently badly. My impressions on this are all
third-hand, so I'm not sure what all the problems were. Supposedly
the website providing the awards document crashed. And a bare list of
organizations just gives the impression that any news site that says
anything he dislikes must be fake - a procedure that doesn't convince
many people.

mcdow...@sky.com

Jan 21, 2018, 8:05:51 AM1/21/18
The awards now have their own Wikipedia article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fake_News_Awards. The original site may be https://gop.com/the-highly-anticipated-2017-fake-news-awards/. A quick look suggests that Wikipedia criticisms of the awards, at least, are of the form "Well yes, the initial story wasn't actually correct, but...."

Propaganda has been a feature of dystopias since at least Orwell's 1984. More recently I have seen Babylon 5's ISN under President Clark and I think the broadcast media in the Film Starship Troopers were pretty obvious as well. Is it plausible for our hero to spot reasonably well done propaganda from the inside? I seem to remember a study of influence techniques on Reddit showed well-timed distraction as surprisingly powerful. A while ago I came up with the following consistency checks for stories:

1) Are there any obvious internal inconsistencies?
2) Does there argument actually prove what they claim to prove?
3) Is the story consistent with previous information from the same source, and with information from other sources?

Clearly there are limits to this - I cannot tell from a single source if they are simply not reporting important stories. I suspect many video news sources of cherry-picking vox pops for entertainment values. I cannot tell if they are also choosing to broadcast only those consistent with a particular line. Long ago my Father said that in cases where I knew the facts I would find media reports well adrift of them, but these sorts of checks are rare.

Lynn McGuire

Jan 22, 2018, 5:57:41 PM1/22/18
Shoot, Scott Adams even wrote about them in his blog, "Are the Fake News
Awards Persuasive?". Adams was impressed as usual by Trump's persuasion
ability and gave him an A+.
http://blog.dilbert.com/2018/01/18/fake-news-awards-persuasive/

The actual fake news awards are listed at

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/17/president-trump-reveals-winners-his-fake-news-awards.html

Lynn

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Jan 22, 2018, 6:00:15 PM1/22/18
Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote in
Hardly a surprise. Adams has clearly been angling to have Trump's
love child for at least two years.

Robert Carnegie

Jan 22, 2018, 7:52:32 PM1/22/18
Thanks to you both for your contributions. Now I only need
to decide whether I want to inform myself of some of
President Trump's opinions before the heat death of the
universe takes place. The point is, now I can choose.

My impression is that sophisticated citizens of the nation
that closely controls media believe they can interpret
published news and tell what really happened, but that this
suggests that the news bender is either not properly skilled,
or very skilled indeed. And that anyway, most of the population
just believe what they're told, or, if contradictory, what
they were told most recently.

Lynn McGuire

Jan 22, 2018, 8:42:00 PM1/22/18
We all have goals.

Lynn

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Jan 23, 2018, 11:35:10 AM1/23/18
Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote in
And sometimes, those goals are a little pervy.

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 23, 2018, 2:18:09 PM1/23/18
"I don't think that word means what you think it means."

instinct are running screaming.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Jan 23, 2018, 2:21:21 PM1/23/18
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in
Speak for yourself.

David DeLaney

Jan 24, 2018, 6:05:52 AM1/24/18
He did. At least two of the late-night shows did segments on what those ended
up being (and Kimmel did a return awards show segment on the President). It
was not what everyone was imagining it was gonna be, plus it seems to have
crashed the actual offical GOP website for an hour.

Dave

David DeLaney

Jan 24, 2018, 6:08:45 AM1/24/18
On 2018-01-23, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in
>> On 1/23/2018 7:35 AM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
>>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> And sometimes, those goals are a little pervy.
>>
>> "I don't think that word means what you think it means."
>
> Speak for yourself.

I think DimTrav might have been referring to your use of the word "little"?

Dave, gammon and/or spinach

David DeLaney

Jan 24, 2018, 6:10:41 AM1/24/18
On 2018-01-18, J Clarke <jclarke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 15:54:26 -0800, a425couple
><a425c...@hotmail.com> wrote:

[and JClarke snipped]

> More NASA pipe dreams. NASA is over. They need to get used to it.

... what are you doing on ANY of these three newsgroups, then, if I may inquire?

Dave, you're not one of those inner-mind-exploration readers, are you?

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Jan 24, 2018, 11:17:27 AM1/24/18
David DeLaney <davidd...@earthlink.net> wrote in
Ok, that's a point. Let me expand:

And sometimes, those goals are a little pervy. The rest of the
time, they're a lot pervy.

Better?

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 24, 2018, 12:42:33 PM1/24/18
No, I was referring to your use of "pervy" in reference to anyone you
disagreed with. Which would be pretty much everyone. :)

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Jan 24, 2018, 2:07:04 PM1/24/18
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in
Entirely true, but not everyone has goals, so their goals can't be
pervy.

In short, if you surrender yourself to the darkness, the pain will
end.

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 24, 2018, 5:21:54 PM1/24/18
*snerk*

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Jan 24, 2018, 6:39:11 PM1/24/18
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in
You have only yourself to blame. But you knew that.

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 24, 2018, 9:07:37 PM1/24/18
Yup, you get no credit at all for entertaining me.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jan 25, 2018, 6:44:07 AM1/25/18
On 1/22/18 5:57 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 1/18/2018 6:44 PM, Robert Carnegie wrote:

>> Did he actually do "fake news awards"? Or was that - er -
>> symptomatic?
>
> Shoot, Scott Adams even wrote about them in his blog, "Are the Fake News
> Awards Persuasive?". Adams was impressed as usual by Trump's persuasion
> ability and gave him an A+.

Trump is only persuasive to people who already believe what that
carrot-faced buffoon wants them to. Unfortunately Adams is one of those
people.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Jan 25, 2018, 11:39:05 AM1/25/18
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in
Fortunately, I'm not doing this for credit.

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 25, 2018, 12:29:46 PM1/25/18
We already knew that.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Jan 25, 2018, 12:41:17 PM1/25/18
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in
And Henry knows we know it. We're a very knowledgable family.

Lynn McGuire

Jan 25, 2018, 2:36:09 PM1/25/18
On 1/25/2018 5:44 AM, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
> On 1/22/18 5:57 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 1/18/2018 6:44 PM, Robert Carnegie wrote:
>
>>> Did he actually do "fake news awards"?  Or was that - er -
>>> symptomatic?
>>
>> Shoot, Scott Adams even wrote about them in his blog, "Are the Fake News
>> Awards Persuasive?".  Adams was impressed as usual by Trump's persuasion
>> ability and gave him an A+.
>
>     Trump is only persuasive to people who already believe what that
> carrot-faced buffoon wants them to. Unfortunately Adams is one of those
> people.

I will stand with Scott Adams as regarding to Trump.

Lynn

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 25, 2018, 3:21:26 PM1/25/18
Which Henry are we talking about now?

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Jan 25, 2018, 3:44:22 PM1/25/18
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in
The second. (It's a "Lion in Winter" (mis)quote. (There's no
"very."))

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Jan 25, 2018, 3:51:21 PM1/25/18
Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote in
You would. But then, like Seawasp said, you already agreed with
Trump.

There are signs he's planning to run for re-election, though. He's
planning on defunding the (by then worn out) ISS by 2025, which will
require a second term. Given that the Demorats have made themselves
completely, utterly unelectable, he'll win, too.

William Hyde

Jan 25, 2018, 5:17:20 PM1/25/18
On Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 3:51:21 PM UTC-5, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote in

> >>     Trump is only persuasive to people who already believe
> >> what that
> >> carrot-faced buffoon wants them to. Unfortunately Adams is one
> >> of those people.
> >
> > I will stand with Scott Adams as regarding to Trump.
> >
> You would. But then, like Seawasp said, you already agreed with
> Trump.
>
> There are signs he's planning to run for re-election, though. He's
> planning on defunding the (by then worn out) ISS by 2025, which will
> require a second term. Given that the Demorats have made themselves
> completely, utterly unelectable, he'll win, too.

Reminds me of a slogan suggested for the Democrats by Letterman in 1991 when GHWB was at 80-90% in the polls:

"We're digging up Lyndon Johnson, and running him again!"

William Hyde

Lynn McGuire

Jan 25, 2018, 6:23:25 PM1/25/18
On 1/25/2018 1:51 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote in

>>>     Trump is only persuasive to people who already believe
>>> what that
>>> carrot-faced buffoon wants them to. Unfortunately Adams is one
>>> of those people.
>>
>> I will stand with Scott Adams as regarding to Trump.
>>
> You would. But then, like Seawasp said, you already agreed with
> Trump.
>
> There are signs he's planning to run for re-election, though. He's
> planning on defunding the (by then worn out) ISS by 2025, which will
> require a second term. Given that the Demorats have made themselves
> completely, utterly unelectable, he'll win, too.

I had an incredibly low bar for Trump. Just put a true conservative on
the Supreme Court. And he did with Gorsuch. Everything else is gravy
for me.

John Kerry is planning on running in 2020. You know, every time I see
that guy I say, "You Rang ?" (Lurch in the Adams family).

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/370629-john-kerry-considering-presidential-run-in-2020-report

Lynn

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Jan 25, 2018, 6:35:22 PM1/25/18
Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote in
My bar was lower than that. I was happy with "Isn't Hillary
Clinton." I suspect I'm far from alone in that.

> John Kerry is planning on running in 2020. You know, every time
> I see that guy I say, "You Rang ?" (Lurch in the Adams family).

That explains why he's been in the Middle East trying to violate
the Logan Act. He's still be a better choice than Clinton.