The Count of Monte Sea Wasp.

Titus G

Jun 23, 2016, 11:43:18 PM6/23/16
I thought I had read The Count of Monte Cristo decades ago but perhaps
there was a version for young adults as I doubt whether I would have had
the patience then to struggle through the minor annoyances such as all
the flowery manners, and, archaic language and sentence structure, in
the ebook from Gutenberg. I forgot to think about The Stars My
Destination, whilst reading it but suspect that comparisons might
decrease my appreciation of both.
The Sea Wasp review added to my enjoyment of the book.
http://grandcentralarena.com/on-my-shelves-the-count-of-monte-cristo/

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jun 24, 2016, 10:10:14 AM6/24/16
Thanks! Nice to know people wander by the site and read what I post! :)

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Martin

Jun 24, 2016, 7:45:44 PM6/24/16
The original translations of most Dumas books, which is what you generally find on Gutenberg, can be a bit painful for modern readers for all the reasons you mention. If you're willing to buy (or borrow from a library), the modern translation of Monte Cristo by Robin Buss is very good and a much easier read. I've just about worn out a copy. :)

There's also an abridged version of the novel, which might be what you read in the past.

Martin

Titus G

Jun 26, 2016, 3:33:28 AM6/26/16
I now have a copy of the Buss translation and have had a quick look. I
wish I had read that instead of the Gutenberg one. I will save it for a
re-read but that will be some years away so thank you.