DAW 1994

James Nicoll

May 22, 2007, 3:22:42 PM5/22/07

937 Mercedes Lackey & Larry Dixon The Black Gryphon

The first Mage Wars book.

938 S. Andrew Swann The Emperors of Twilight

The second Moreau book, in this one a Frank (a modified human) has
to learn who is trying to kill her and why.

I have a great fondness for genetically engineered people but I
couldn't say why.

939 Zach Hughes Omnificence Factor

I missed this.

940 Mike Resnick & Martin H. Greenberg By Any Other Fame

Introduction Mike Resnick

Farewell, My Buddy Barbara Delaplace

A Night on the Plantation Brian M. Thomsen

Allegro Marcato Barry N. Malzberg

Four Attempts at a Letter Michelle Sagara

The Fifteen-Minute Falcon George Alec Effinger

Dance Track Mercedes Lackey & Larry Dixon

Would He Do Woody? Nicholas A. DiChario

The Wages of Sin Jack Nimersheim

Franz Kafka, Superhero! David Gerrold

If Horses Were Wishes... Ginjer Buchanan

Ars Longa Nancy Kress

A Dream Can Make a Difference Beth Meacham

Under a Sky More Fiercely Blue Laura Resnick

Sinner-Saints Kristine Kathryn Rusch

Out of Sight Janni Lee Simner

Mother, Mae I? Lawrence Schimel

The Defiant Disaster Kate Daniel

South of Eden, Somewhere Near Salinas Jack C. Haldeman, II

Clem, the Little Copper Thomas A. Easton

A Bubble for a Minute Dean Wesley Smith

Space Cadet Janet Kagan

Hitler at Nuremberg Barry N. Malzberg

Elvis Invictus Judith Tarr

A collection of alternatate history stories featuring famous
people.

941 C.J. Cherryh Foreigner

All I can remember about the first Foreigner novel is that the
human protagonist seemed strangely ill-prepared for his job.

942 Andre Norton & Martin H. Greenberg Catfantastic III

Introduction Andre Norton

A Woman of Her Word Lee Barwood

A Tangled Tahitian Tail Clare Bell

Saxophone Joe and the Woman in Black [Newford] Charles de Lint

Teddy Cat Marylois Dunn

Cat o Nine Tales Charles L. Fontenay

Partners P. M. Griffin

...But a Glove John E. Johnston, III

Fear In Her Pocket Caralyn Inks

A Tail of Two SKittys Mercedes Lackey

Hermione as Spy Ardath Mayhar

Moon Scent Lyn McConchie

Cats World Cynthia McQuillin

Snake Eyes Ann Miller & Karen Rigley

One Too Many Cats Sasha Miller

Noble Warrior Meets With a Ghost Andre Norton

Connecticat Raul Reyes & Elisabeth Waters

The Cat-Quest of Mu Mao the Magnificent Elizabeth Ann Scarborough

The Cat, the Wizards, and the Bedpost Mary H. Schaub

To Skein a Cat Lawrence Schimel

Asking Mr. Bigelow Susan Shwartz

A wackload of stories featuring cats.

943 Suzette Haden Elgin Earthsong

The third Native Tongue novel.

944 Marion Zimmer Bradley The Bloody Sun

To the best of my knowledge, I have not read this but I still
disapprove of anything the Comyn may have done.

945 Jack Lovejoy Outworld Cats

No idea what this is.

946 Jo Clayton Serpent Waltz David A. Cherry

The second Dancer novel.

947 Tad Williams To Green Angel Tower, Part I

Part one of the third part of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn #3.

948 Tad Williams To Green Angel Tower, Part II

Williams continues his one-man war on America's trees.

949 Marion Zimmer Bradley Snows of Darkover

Introduction Marion Zimmer Bradley

The Yearbride Lee Martindale

Cradle of Lies Deborah Wheeler

Power Lynne Armstrong-Jones

Upholding Tradition Chel Avery

The Place Between Diana L. Paxson

Kadarin Tears Patricia Duffy Novak

The Awakening Roxana Pierson

Safe Passage Joan Marie Verba

Garrons Gift Janet R. Rhodes

The Chieris Godchild Cynthia McQuillin

Fire in the Hellers Patricia Shaw Mathews

A Matter of Perception Lena Gore

Poetic License Mercedes Lackey

The Midwinters Gifts Jane Edgeworth

The MacAran Legacy Toni Berry

The Word of a Hastur Marion Zimmer Bradley

Matrix Blue C. Frances

Shards Nina Boal

Brianas Birthright Suzanne Hawkins Burke

In the Eye of the Beholder Linda Anfuso

Transformation Alexandra Sarris

Amends Glenn R. Sixbury

A Capella Elisabeth Waters

Another Darkover anthology.

You know, you could build any number of really kick-ass ski resorts
on Darkover.

950 Elisabeth Waters Changing Fate

I missed this.

951 Mickey Zucker Reichert The Unknown Soldier

And this.

952 Gayle Greeno Mind-Speakers' Call

This is the second Ghatti's Tale novel.

953 Mayer Alan Brenner Spell of Apocalypse

This is the fourth Dance of the Gods novel.

954 Cheryl J. Franklin Sable, Shadow and Ice

I missed this.

955 Esther M. Friesner & Martin H. Greenberg Alien Pregnant by Elvis

Alien Pregnant by Elvis Esther M. Friesner

The Source of it All Dennis McKiernan

The Bride of Bigfoot Lawrence Watt-Evans

Close-Up Photos Reveal JFK Skull on Moon! Barry N. Malzberg

Marilyn, Elvis, and the Reality Blues James Brunet

Those Rowdy Royals! Laura Resnick

My Husband Became a Zombie and it Saved Our Marriage Karen Haber

Rock Band Conjures Satan as Manager -- Group Claims Good
Business Move Deborah J. Wunder

2,437 UFOs Over New Hampshire Allen Steele

Pulitzer Kills Publishing Maggot Mark W. Tiedemann

Elvis at the White House Kristine Kathryn Rusch

The Number of the Beast Jeff Hecht

De Gustibus... Anthony R. Lewis

Is Your Coworker a Space Alien? "Bob" bes Shahar

A Beak for Trends Laura Frankos

Hitler Clone in Argentina Plots Falklands Reprise or Death and
Transfiguration John DeChancie

Group Phenomena Thomas F. Monteleone

Unextinctions Bruce Boston & Roger Dutcher

How Alien He Really Was Bruce Boston

NASA Sending Addicts to Mars! Giant Government Coverup
Revealed! Alan Dean Foster

Vole John Gregory Betancourt

In Search of the Perfect Orgasm or Doing It with a Big Lizard
Can Be Fun Dean Wesley Smith

Saving Sams Used UFOs Kate Daniel

Dannys Excellent Adventure! Greg Cox

Royal Tiff Yields Face of Jesus! Esther M. Friesner

Magnetic Personality Triggers Nail-biters Near-death Ordeal! t. Winter-Damon

Theyd Never Harry Turtledove

Loch Ness Monster Found -- In the Bermuda Triangle! David Vierling

Racehorse Predicts the Future! Josepha Sherman

Printers Devils Gregory Feeley

Cannibal Plants From Heck David Drake

Psychic Bats 1000 for Accuracy! Jody Lynn Nye

Caveat Atlantis Richard Gilliam

Frozen Hitler Found in Atlantean Love Nest G---r G---n

Those Eyes David Brin

Stop Press Mike Resnick

Martian Memorial to Elvis Sighted George Alec Effinger

This is an athology of short stories inspired by lurid
tabloid journalism. The rule here seems to have been to aim at
shorter lengths rather than long, which was probably wise.

956 Katherine Kerr & Martin H. Greenberg Weird Tales from Shakespeare

Introduction Katharine Kerr

Part One

Playbill Bill Daniel

An Augmentation of Dust Diana Paxson

Aweary of the Sun Gregory Feeley

The Will Barbara Denz

Part Two

The Tragedy of KL Jack Oakley

Ancient Magics, Ancient Hope Josepha Sherman

Queen Lyr Mark Kreighbaum

It Comes from Nothing Barry Malzberg

The Tragedy of Gertrude, Queen of Denmark Kate Daniel

Part Three

Alas, Me Bleedin... Dennis McKiernan

The Muse Afire Laura Resnick

Titus! Esther M. Friesner

Swear Not by the Moon Lawrence Schimel

The Summer of My Discontent Mike Resnick

Part Four

Else the Isle with Calibans Brian Aldiss

Face Value Nina Kiriki Hoffman

No Sooner Sighed Katherine Lawrence

The Mercury of the Wise Kevin A. Murphy

A Tempest in Her Eyes [Newford] Charles de Lint

Titania or the Celestial Bed Teresa Edgerton

Part Five

Not of an Age Gregory Benford

The Elements So Mixed Adrienne Martine-Barnes

My Voice Is In My Sword Kate Elliott

Speaking of Shakespearian fan-fic...

957 Marion Zimmer Bradley Star of Danger

I missed this one.

958 Mercedes Lackey Storm Warning

This is the first Mage-Storms book.

959 S. Andrew Swann Specters of the Dawn

The third Moreau book, this features a supporting character
from the first book investigating the death of her stud-muffin.

960 Marion Zimmer Bradley Sword and Sorceress 11

Introduction Marion Zimmer Bradley

Call the Wild Horses Bunnie Bessel

Keepsake Lynn Michals

Spirit Singer Diana L. Paxson

Final Exam Jessica R. Lerbs

The Stratmoor Bear Charley Pearson

Grumble Snoot Vaughn Heppner

Tales Javonna L. Anderson

Maggots Feast Jo Clayton

Moonriders Lynne Armstrong-Jones

Thief, Thief! Mary Catelli

Healing Hannah Blair

Virgin Spring Cynthia McQuillin

The Haven Judith Kobylecky

Savior Tom Gallier

Bad Luck and Curses Jessie Eaker

The Mistresss Riddle Karen Luk

Rusted Blade Dave Smeds

Images of Love Larry Tritten

A Fate Worse than Death Diann Partridge

Power Play Sandra Morrese

Fenwitch Sarah Evans

Green Eyed Monster Vicki Kirchhoff

Snowfire D. Lopes Heald

Ancient Warrior Stephanie Shaver

Barbarian Legacy Lawrence Schimel

Mist Laura J. Underwood

Songhealer Tammi Labrecque

The Sows Ear Kathy Ann Trueman

Poisoned Dreams Deborah Wheeler

Night-Beast Cynthia Ward

The Gift Rochelle Marie

The Crystal Casket Kristine Sprunger

Ringed In Mildred Perkins

Another anthology of heroic fantasy.

961 Charles Ingrid The Downfall Matrix

This is the third Pattern of Chaos book,

962 Jo Clayton Dance Down the Stars

And this is the third Dancer book.

963 Mike Resnick, Martin H. Greenberg & Loren D. Estleman Deals
with the Devil

Introduction Mike Resnick

A Later Date Jack C. Haldeman, II

Winter Michelle Sagara

Pitch Jane Yolen

Red Heart Terry McGarry

Another Damn Deal Dean Wesley Smith

The Party of the First Part Jody Lynn Nye

Discounts Jack Dann

The Seminar from Hell David Gerrold

Confessional Laura Resnick

The Ultimate Compliment John C. Bunnell

For Value Received Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jealous Gods Kristine Kathryn Rusch

Bargaining Chip Esther M. Friesner

The Turing Test Anthony R. Lewis

Infernal DRAMnation Jack Nimersheim

Rent-to-Own Mark C. Sumner

The Easy Way Down from Avernus Dave Smeds

Small Print Mercedes Lackey & Larry Dixon

Stanley, the Eighteen-Percenter Mike Resnick

Good Night, Duane Allman George Alec Effinger

Moishe in Excelsis Barry N. Malzberg

Nobody Wins in a Deal with a Devil Brian M. Thomsen

Mending Souls Judith Tarr

Just Do It Nicholas A. DiChario

A Deal Is a Deal Marie A. Parsons

Good Intentions Charles Von Rospach

Passion for the Souls Below Gregory Feeley

Connections Barbara Delaplace

Not Just Another Deal Pat Cadigan

Devildeal Robert Sheckley

Free Will, Baby Janni Lee Simner

Dealers Choice Frank M. Robinson

Jelly Reds John Lutz

A Girl for Ronald Jeff Waldmann

The Hack Loren D. Estleman

To Walk the Earth Thomas Sullivan

This seems self-explanatory. I didn't know Estleman did
F&SF.

964 Rosemary Edghill The Sword of Maiden's Tears

eluki bes shahar under a pen-name, this is the first
of the The Twelve Treasures books.

965 Kate Elliott The Law of Becoming

I missed this.

966 Melanie Rawn The Ruins of Ambrai

This is the first Exiles book.

967 Marion Zimmer Bradley The World Wreckers

In which we learn how it is that some factions within the Terran
Empire prepare worlds for trade and also some details of ancient history.

968 Karl Edward Wagner The Year's Best Horror Stories #22

But Is It Horrific? Karl Edward Wagner

The Rippers Tune Gregory Nicoll

One Size Eats All T. E. D. Klein

Resurrection Adam Meyer

I Live to Wash Her Joey Froehlich

A Little-Known Side of Elvis [The Dog Park] Dennis Etchison

Perfect Days Chet Williamson

See How They Run [For You to Judge] Ramsey Campbell

Shots Downed, Officer Fired Wayne Allen Sallee

David Sean Doolittle

Portrait of a Pulp Writer F. A. McMahan

Fish Harbor Paul Pinn

Ridi Bobo Robert Devereaux

Adroitly Wrapped Mark McLaughlin

Thicker Than Water Joel Lane

Memento Mori Scott Thomas

The Blitz Spirit Kim Newman

Companions Del Stone, Jr.

Masquerade Lillian Csernica

The Price of the Flames Deidra Cox

The Bone Garden Conrad Williams

Ice Cream and Tombstones Nina Kiriki Hoffman

Salt Snake Simon Clark

Ladys Portrait, Executed in Archaic Colors Charles M. Saplak

Lost Alleys Jeffrey Thomas

Salustrade D. F. Lewis

The Power of One Nancy Kilpatrick

The Lions in the Desert David Langford

Turning Thirty Lisa Tuttle

Bloodletting Kim Antieau

Flying into Naples Nicholas Royle

Under the Crust Terry Lamsley

The final volume in this series because Karl Edward Wagner died
in October of 1994.

969 Carol Serling Return to the Twilight Zone

Introduction Carol Serling

Survival Song Ray Russell

Night of the Living Bra K. D. Wentworth

The Kaleidoscope Don DAmmassa

Big Roots Pamela Sargent

The Midnight El [Sidney Taine] Robert Weinberg

Maybe Tomorrow Barry Hoffman

The Food Court John Maclay

The Garden Barbara Delaplace

Gordies Pets Hugh B. Cave

Lady in the Cream-Colored Chiffon Elizabeth Anderson & Margaret Maron

The Praying Lady Charles L. Fontenay

The Cure Phillip C. Jennings

Still Waters Barry B. Longyear

Messenger Adam-Troy Castro

The Duke of Demolition Goes to Hell John Gregory Betancourt

Salt P. D. Cacek

Always, in the Dark Charles Grant

Afternoon Ghost Jack Dann & George Zebrowski

The Sole Survivor Rod Serling

An anthology of stories told in the style of the Twilight Zone
TV show.

970 Tanya Huff Sing the Four Quarters

The first Quarters novel.

971 Irene Radford The Glass Dragon

The first in the Dragon Nimbus series.

--
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/
http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll

Anthony Nance

May 22, 2007, 4:05:32 PM5/22/07
James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:

> <snip darn near everything>

Holy cow - I supposed this was bound to happen the way things were going.
I didn't read one thing DAW published this year, not even a short story.
I did own one of the Lackey novels for a while.

> 955 Esther M. Friesner & Martin H. Greenberg Alien Pregnant by Elvis
>

> The Bride of Bigfoot Lawrence Watt-Evans

If they'd gone for LWE's "Monster Kidnaps Girl at Mad Scientist's Command!"
instead, I'd be 1 for 1994.

> Is Your Coworker a Space Alien? "Bob" bes Shahar

I assume this is eluki bes Shahar/Rosemary Edghill(?)

> Frozen Hitler Found in Atlantean Love Nest G---r G---n

This is also eluki bes Shahar/Rosemary Edghill, right?

Sheesh,
Tony

Lawrence Watt-Evans

May 22, 2007, 5:08:33 PM5/22/07
On 22 May 2007 20:05:32 GMT, na...@math.ohio-state.edu (Anthony Nance)
wrote:

>James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>>
>> <snip darn near everything>
>>

>> 955 Esther M. Friesner & Martin H. Greenberg Alien Pregnant by Elvis
>>
>> The Bride of Bigfoot Lawrence Watt-Evans
>
>If they'd gone for LWE's "Monster Kidnaps Girl at Mad Scientist's Command!"
>instead, I'd be 1 for 1994.

Except I'm pretty sure I'd sold that to Pulphouse before Esther asked
for a story. Besides, that was pulp cover, not tabloid.

"The Bride of Bigfoot" was inspired by an actual Weekly World News
headline: "Bigfoot Stole My Wife!" Totally different story beyond
the headline, though.

It was fun -- so much fun that I began coming up with dozens of
tabloid headlines and inflicting them on people, such as:

Scales from Loch Ness monster cure cancer!
Woman has baboon baby, sues banana-diet doctor!
Hitler found alive in Tel Aviv!
Space aliens looted stores during L.A. riots, took only baby powder
and Pop-Tarts!
Vatican reveals secret five-day miracle diet, banned centuries ago!
Baby born holding Elvis' guitar!
I hope it's twins, says 103-year-old mother of Liberace's unborn baby!
Adolf Hitler has sex-change operation, Argentine doctors worried about
leaking silicone implants!

I also started another story, "Space Aliens Ate My Baby's Brain!" that
I still haven't finished because it ran into an insurmountable
marketing problem: With that title, it has to be a parody, and the
story insisted on coming out a serious one about media abuses.

The fourth issue of Helix is at http://www.helixsf.com
The tenth Ethshar novel has been serialized at http://www.ethshar.com/thevondishambassador1.html

Mike Schilling

May 22, 2007, 5:11:03 PM5/22/07
"Lawrence Watt-Evans" <l...@sff.net> wrote in message

> I also started another story, "Space Aliens Ate My Baby's Brain!" that
> I still haven't finished because it ran into an insurmountable
> marketing problem: With that title, it has to be a parody, and the
> story insisted on coming out a serious one about media abuses.

How about a short-short with a trick ending: the narrator is Barbara Bush.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

May 22, 2007, 5:55:41 PM5/22/07

Cute, but not the story I wanted to write.

Mike Schilling

May 22, 2007, 7:49:24 PM5/22/07

> On Tue, 22 May 2007 14:11:03 -0700, "Mike Schilling"
> <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"Lawrence Watt-Evans" <l...@sff.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I also started another story, "Space Aliens Ate My Baby's Brain!" that
>>> I still haven't finished because it ran into an insurmountable
>>> marketing problem: With that title, it has to be a parody, and the
>>> story insisted on coming out a serious one about media abuses.
>>
>>How about a short-short with a trick ending: the narrator is Barbara Bush.
>
> Cute, but not the story I wanted to write.

Well, now that I've given you the idea, you can write it, and we'll split
the ..

Ow! That hurt!

Anthony Nance

May 22, 2007, 9:04:13 PM5/22/07
Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:
> On 22 May 2007 20:05:32 GMT, na...@math.ohio-state.edu (Anthony Nance)
> wrote:
>
>>James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip darn near everything>
>>>
>>> 955 Esther M. Friesner & Martin H. Greenberg Alien Pregnant by Elvis
>>>
>>> The Bride of Bigfoot Lawrence Watt-Evans
>>
>>If they'd gone for LWE's "Monster Kidnaps Girl at Mad Scientist's Command!"
>>instead, I'd be 1 for 1994.
>
> Except I'm pretty sure I'd sold that to Pulphouse before Esther asked
> for a story.

Probably - I don't know the usual timeline or rights arrangements
for anthologies, but I read "Monster Kidnaps..." in your 1992
_Crosstime Traffic_ collection, and the copyright page there says
Pulphouse published it in 1992.

> Besides, that was pulp cover, not tabloid.

Surely it could fit both! Think of a third usage, and you'd
have your own Unicorn Variation(s) story.

> "The Bride of Bigfoot" was inspired by an actual Weekly World News
> headline: "Bigfoot Stole My Wife!" Totally different story beyond
> the headline, though.
>
> It was fun -- so much fun that I began coming up with dozens of
> tabloid headlines and inflicting them on people, such as:
>
> Scales from Loch Ness monster cure cancer!
> Woman has baboon baby, sues banana-diet doctor!
> Hitler found alive in Tel Aviv!
> Space aliens looted stores during L.A. riots, took only baby powder
> and Pop-Tarts!
> Vatican reveals secret five-day miracle diet, banned centuries ago!
> Baby born holding Elvis' guitar!
> I hope it's twins, says 103-year-old mother of Liberace's unborn baby!
> Adolf Hitler has sex-change operation, Argentine doctors worried about
> leaking silicone implants!

Face of Ghandi appears on can of Spam!
Second Coming cut short - Third will be the real deal!
Bigfoot to replace Mick Fleetwood on next tour!

Yeah, I see where that could be a ton of fun.

> I also started another story, "Space Aliens Ate My Baby's Brain!" that
> I still haven't finished because it ran into an insurmountable
> marketing problem: With that title, it has to be a parody, and the
> story insisted on coming out a serious one about media abuses.

Wasn't there an Asimov short where aliens took up residence in
people's spinal columns/brains? Something about them getting
the upper hand as you aged and/or as you slept.

Argh - can't call it up. Maybe something is eating _my_ brain
(and the poor thing is starving).

Tony

David DeLaney

May 22, 2007, 9:59:01 PM5/22/07
On 22 May 2007 15:22:42 -0400, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>938 S. Andrew Swann The Emperors of Twilight
>
> The second Moreau book, in this one a Frank (a modified human) has
>to learn who is trying to kill her and why.
>
> I have a great fondness for genetically engineered people but I
>couldn't say why.

Couldn't have anything to do with Evelyn (a modified dog), could it?

>954 Cheryl J. Franklin Sable, Shadow and Ice
> I missed this.

Set in a different fantasy setting than the Network/Taormin novels. Vague
recollections that the magic system involves getting marks of various sorts
implanted in your skin? I remember liking it, but have not read it in long
enough that currently I neither like nor dislike it. If you know what I mean.

>964 Rosemary Edghill The Sword of Maiden's Tears
>
> eluki bes shahar under a pen-name, this is the first
>of the The Twelve Treasures books.

And, so far, there were only three of them I know about, not twelve. Hmf.

>966 Melanie Rawn The Ruins of Ambrai
> This is the first Exiles book.

I keep thinking there's supposed to have been a third one written, but it's
never turned up anywhere I know of.

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

James Nicoll

May 22, 2007, 11:19:30 PM5/22/07
In article <slrnf577l...@gatekeeper.vic.com>,

David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
>On 22 May 2007 15:22:42 -0400, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>>938 S. Andrew Swann The Emperors of Twilight
>>
>> The second Moreau book, in this one a Frank (a modified human) has
>>to learn who is trying to kill her and why.
>>
>> I have a great fondness for genetically engineered people but I
>>couldn't say why.
>
>Couldn't have anything to do with Evelyn (a modified dog), could it?

Who?

Joseph Nebus

May 22, 2007, 11:48:00 PM5/22/07
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) writes:

I think I managed a complete miss of this year. Hm.

>938 S. Andrew Swann The Emperors of Twilight

> The second Moreau book, in this one a Frank (a modified human) has
>to learn who is trying to kill her and why.

This is an odd one, since I know I read the first Moreau book
and found it reasonably enjoyable, but that somehow never quite impelled
me to buy another Swann book.

> I have a great fondness for genetically engineered people but I
>couldn't say why.

I do too. Can't give any good reason for it, just that a clever
bit of modification to the basic human form strikes me as fun. The most
recent science fiction novel I read includes a distant-future setting
with some pleasant turtle-humans. (The cat-humans had gotten so self-
absorbed nobody else had anything to do with them.) You didn't really
*feel* the turtle-ness, but it was a nice touch.

>955 Esther M. Friesner & Martin H. Greenberg Alien Pregnant by Elvis

I remember looking at this and thinking it was a sort of humor
that I could take, but not in doses as large as the book. I honestly do
have a sense of humor; it's just that there's kinds of it that make my
teeth preemptively hurt. (My apologies to Mr Watt-Evans for the implied,
but not intended, insult.)

(In theory I might have bought the book as nightstand reading or
to poke around with reading a story here and there, but in practice I
read books straight through, and reserve for piecemeal reading things
like Robert Benchley essays or collections of comic strips.)

>963 Mike Resnick, Martin H. Greenberg & Loren D. Estleman Deals
> with the Devil

> This seems self-explanatory. I didn't know Estleman did
>F&SF.

Have there been any breakthroughs in deal-with-the-devil stories?
The most recent one I read was in an anthology of game show science
fiction stories that began with the notion that Chuck Woolery was the
Devil, and proceeds like that to raise every hackle I have.

>969 Carol Serling Return to the Twilight Zone

I *think* that I *might* have bought this, but it's all gone
from my memory at this reserve.

>Night of the Living Bra K. D. Wentworth

Maybe I didn't; I'd think I would remember a title like that.

--
Joseph Nebus

Peter D. Tillman

May 23, 2007, 12:31:10 AM5/23/07
In article <f2vfu2$oga$1...@panix3.panix.com>,
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> 939 Zach Hughes Omnificence Factor
>
> I missed this.

I have a weakness for Zach Hughes (Hugh Zachary) for amusing, silly,
semi-mindless pulp novels, my favorite being _For Texas & Zed_. Texians
vs. the Galactic Empire! Who? Will? Win?

But none of the DAW ones have rung any bells, nor drawn any responses
(that I've seen). Any other closet Zach Hughes fans here?

Cheers -- Pete Tillman

David DeLaney

May 23, 2007, 6:41:17 AM5/23/07
James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
>>On 22 May 2007 15:22:42 -0400, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>>> I have a great fondness for genetically engineered people but I
>>>couldn't say why.
>>
>>Couldn't have anything to do with Evelyn (a modified dog), could it?
>
> Who?

Guess not then. (She's from a Frank Zappa song, off One Size Fits All.)

Paul Clarke

May 23, 2007, 7:40:08 AM5/23/07
On 22 May, 20:22, jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
> 941 C.J. Cherryh Foreigner
>
> All I can remember about the first Foreigner novel is that the
> human protagonist seemed strangely ill-prepared for his job.

There are a couple of aspects to that. On the translation side I think
Bren is about as good at the atevi language as it's humanly possible
to be, but the language itself is far enough from human patterns to
create problems. Note that his replacement, in theory the second-best
candidate available, makes embarassing mistakes when speaking atevi.
On the political side, the nature of the job changed without warning
and, for most of the book, without Bren being aware how or why.

Dorothy J Heydt

May 23, 2007, 9:02:24 AM5/23/07
In article <slrnf5868...@gatekeeper.vic.com>,

David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
>James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>>David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Couldn't have anything to do with Evelyn (a modified dog), could it?
>>
>> Who?
>
>Guess not then. (She's from a Frank Zappa song, off One Size Fits All.)

Quoted somewhere in one of Brin's Uplift books.

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
djh...@kithrup.com

James Nicoll

May 23, 2007, 9:31:38 AM5/23/07
In article <slrnf5868...@gatekeeper.vic.com>,

David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
>James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>>David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Couldn't have anything to do with Evelyn (a modified dog), could it?
>>
>> Who?
>
>Guess not then. (She's from a Frank Zappa song, off One Size Fits All.)

I'm not a Zappa fan. I just never could get into his music.

William Hyde

May 23, 2007, 1:10:46 PM5/23/07
On May 23, 12:31 am, "Peter D. Tillman"

<Till...@toast.net_DIESPAMMERSDIE> wrote:

> > I missed this.
>
> I have a weakness for Zach Hughes (Hugh Zachary) for amusing, silly,
> semi-mindless pulp novels, my favorite being _For Texas & Zed_.

I read that long before I moved to Texas. I should reread it and see
how that experience will change it.

Of course, in Canada "Zed" is the last letter of the alphabet, so I
was rather surprised that it was the protagonist's name (I didn't read
the blurb since I just bought it when I saw it as Hughes was not on
the small list of authors I had learned to avoid).

Texians

Ah, the correct spelling. Don't see that enough.

> Any other closet Zach Hughes fans here?

That's the only book of his I have read. I liked it, though.

William Hyde

David Given

May 23, 2007, 1:32:25 PM5/23/07
Paul Clarke wrote:
[...]

> There are a couple of aspects to that. On the translation side I think
> Bren is about as good at the atevi language as it's humanly possible
> to be, but the language itself is far enough from human patterns to
> create problems. Note that his replacement, in theory the second-best
> candidate available, makes embarassing mistakes when speaking atevi.
> On the political side, the nature of the job changed without warning
> and, for most of the book, without Bren being aware how or why.

The one thing that's stopping me recommeding _Foreigner_ to all my SF-agnostic
friends is that it's got two huge great pointless prologues. The two (quite
long) stories of how the colony ship got lost and how the humans met the atevi
convey absolutely nothing to the plot --- all the information we need is
repeated later, in a rather more palatable guise --- and occupies about a
third of the entire novel.

The actual *story* starts when Bren finds someone in his bedroom, and that
scene and the couple following it make an excellent introduction to the atevi.
I've heard rumours that Cherryh was forced to add those two introductory
sequences; certainly, with them there, the pacing is unusually clunky for a
Cherryh book. Does anyone know anything about this?

--
┌── dg@cowlark.com ─── http://www.cowlark.com ───────────────────

│ Uglúk u bagronk sha pushdug Internet-glob bbhosh skai.

claudi...@gmail.com

May 23, 2007, 2:47:34 PM5/23/07
On May 23, 3:41 pm, d...@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney) wrote:

> Guess not then. (She's from a Frank Zappa song, off One Size Fits All.)

Great -- now I've got "whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, San Berdino!" stuck.

James: Frank Zappa did a lot of different kinds of stuff. The quality
varied but the top 20% was excellent.

If you like Aaron Copeland? Boxy American-sounding classical-jazz
synthesis type stuff? Find an mp3 of Zappa's "Peaches en
regalia" [sic]. An instrumental, no lyrics. You can argue whether
it's his best, but it's very... listenable.

"Evelyn" is an odd little piece of absurd poetry set to (not much)
music. Works better than it should.

Doug M.

claudi...@gmail.com

May 23, 2007, 2:59:38 PM5/23/07
On May 23, 3:41 pm, d...@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney) wrote:

> Guess not then. (She's from a Frank Zappa song, off One Size Fits All.)

Great -- now I've got "whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, San Berdino!" stuck.

James: Frank Zappa did a lot of different kinds of stuff. The quality

varied but the top 20% was excellent. (He was also an interesting
character in his own right, and I'm mildly surprised he hasn't popped
up in SF at all.)

If you like Aaron Copeland? Boxy American-sounding classical-jazz
synthesis type stuff? Find an mp3 of Zappa's "Peaches en
regalia" [sic]. An instrumental, no lyrics.

"Evelyn" is an odd little piece of absurd poetry set to (not much)

James Nicoll

May 23, 2007, 3:15:43 PM5/23/07
In article <1179946054.0...@a26g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,

<claudi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On May 23, 3:41 pm, d...@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney) wrote:
>
>> Guess not then. (She's from a Frank Zappa song, off One Size Fits All.)
>
>Great -- now I've got "whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, San Berdino!" stuck.
>
>James: Frank Zappa did a lot of different kinds of stuff. The quality
>varied but the top 20% was excellent.

I know that and I have sampled his stuff but thus far it jsut
doesn't do anything for me.

>If you like Aaron Copeland?

Yeah, did I mention being raised in a sound-proof box? Because
effectively, I was.

Jacob W. Haller

May 23, 2007, 6:39:54 PM5/23/07
Joseph Nebus <nebusj-@-rpi-.edu> wrote:

> >963 Mike Resnick, Martin H. Greenberg & Loren D. Estleman Deals
> > with the Devil
>
> > This seems self-explanatory. I didn't know Estleman did
> >F&SF.
>
> Have there been any breakthroughs in deal-with-the-devil stories?
> The most recent one I read was in an anthology of game show science
> fiction stories that began with the notion that Chuck Woolery was the
> Devil, and proceeds like that to raise every hackle I have.

The Pseudopod horror podcast just ran a story in which a guy is seduced
by a succubus and is then sued for child support in the courts of Hell:
<http://pseudopod.org/2007/05/18/pseudopod-038-hells-daycare/>

The payoff wasn't very satisying to me but it was a plotline I don't
think I had encountered before.

-jwgh

--
"Only in America could something like that not happen in America."
-- Matt McIrvin, 29 November 2005

Thomas Armagost

May 23, 2007, 8:12:34 PM5/23/07
In message <1179946778....@q19g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,

claudi...@gmail.com wrote:

> (David DeLaney) wrote:
>
>> Guess not then. (She's from a Frank Zappa song, off One Size
>> Fits All.)
>
> Great -- now I've got "whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, San Berdino!"
> stuck.

To make matters worse, your brain got it wrong.

Come on with me
Come on with me
Come on with me
Down in San Ber'dino
Just 60 miles, 60 miles
Down the San Ber'dino freeway
They got some dark green air
An' you can choke all day
That's right!

The song "San Ber'dino" is on the 1975 "One Size Fits All" album.
http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/lyrics/One_Size_Fits_All.html

> James: Frank Zappa did a lot of different kinds of stuff.
> The quality varied but the top 20% was excellent. (He was
> also an interesting character in his own right, and I'm
> mildly surprised he hasn't popped up in SF at all.)
>
> If you like Aaron Copeland? Boxy American-sounding
> classical-jazz synthesis type stuff? Find an mp3 of
> Zappa's "Peaches en regalia" [sic]. An instrumental,
> no lyrics.

Zappa and Copeland? Zappa is closer to Spike Jones--another L.A.
bandleader and creator of comedy music. Both died prematurely in
their early fifties. Admittedly, Zappa had a greater musical range
than Spike Jones.

> "Evelyn" is an odd little piece of absurd poetry set to (not much)
> music. Works better than it should.

That song is just before "San Ber'dino" on "One Size Fits All."

Evelyn, a dog, having undergone
Further modification
Pondered the significance of short-person behavior
In pedal-depressed panchromatic resonance
And other highly ambient domains . . .

Maybe you can answer a question that I asked earlier: Is Zappa
mentioned in The Transmigration of Timothy Archer?

--
http://www.well.com/user/silly
darn your sock puppets

Amy Sheldon

May 23, 2007, 9:43:49 PM5/23/07
On Tue, 22 May 2007 17:55:41 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 22 May 2007 14:11:03 -0700, "Mike Schilling"
><mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"Lawrence Watt-Evans" <l...@sff.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I also started another story, "Space Aliens Ate My Baby's Brain!" that
>>> I still haven't finished because it ran into an insurmountable
>>> marketing problem: With that title, it has to be a parody, and the
>>> story insisted on coming out a serious one about media abuses.
>>
>>How about a short-short with a trick ending: the narrator is Barbara Bush.
>
>Cute, but not the story I wanted to write.

You know, there IS a magazine that would take the story you wanted to
write.....

--
Amy "not that I plan to mention HelixSF in this post" Sheldon
Amy Sheldon

Lawrence Watt-Evans

May 24, 2007, 12:00:44 AM5/24/07
On Wed, 23 May 2007 21:43:49 -0400, Amy Sheldon
<amyir...@adelphia.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 May 2007 17:55:41 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 22 May 2007 14:11:03 -0700, "Mike Schilling"
>><mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"Lawrence Watt-Evans" <l...@sff.net> wrote in message

>>>How about a short-short with a trick ending: the narrator is Barbara Bush.
>>
>>Cute, but not the story I wanted to write.
>
>You know, there IS a magazine that would take the story you wanted to
>write.....

Huh.

Now, that IS an interesting thought. Of course, another problem with
the story was that it wasn't SF or fantasy. Will tends to be pretty
loose about that, but maybe not THAT loose.

Still, it's an idea, and one I hadn't considered. Thank you.

Paul Clarke

May 24, 2007, 9:00:50 AM5/24/07
On 23 May, 18:32, David Given <d...@cowlark.com> wrote:
> The one thing that's stopping me recommeding _Foreigner_ to all my SF-agnostic
> friends is that it's got two huge great pointless prologues.
[snip]

> I've heard rumours that Cherryh was forced to add those two introductory
> sequences; certainly, with them there, the pacing is unusually clunky for a
> Cherryh book. Does anyone know anything about this?

According to http://www.cherryh.com/www/univer.htm#Foreigner:

"I didn't plan to have the first two sections on the first Foreigner
novel, but my editor said put them in. So I did"

David Given

May 25, 2007, 9:52:37 AM5/25/07
Paul Clarke wrote:
[...]

> According to http://www.cherryh.com/www/univer.htm#Foreigner:
>
> "I didn't plan to have the first two sections on the first Foreigner
> novel, but my editor said put them in. So I did"

Ha! Thought so.

I wonder if she's planning a Director's Cut version?

Peter Bruells

May 25, 2007, 9:58:14 AM5/25/07
David Given <d...@cowlark.com> writes:

> Paul Clarke wrote:
> [...]
> > According to http://www.cherryh.com/www/univer.htm#Foreigner:
> >
> > "I didn't plan to have the first two sections on the first Foreigner
> > novel, but my editor said put them in. So I did"
>
> Ha! Thought so.
>
> I wonder if she's planning a Director's Cut version?

That's the great thing about a book: You can take a scissor and cut it
yourself.

William December Starr

May 25, 2007, 6:08:51 PM5/25/07
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) said:

> 941 C.J. Cherryh Foreigner
>
> All I can remember about the first Foreigner novel is that the
> human protagonist seemed strangely ill-prepared for his job.

Insert sarcastic C.J. Cherryh-related comment here.

--
William December Starr <wds...@panix.com>

William December Starr

May 25, 2007, 6:10:18 PM5/25/07
In article <JU_4i.4279$rQ4....@newsfe1-win.ntli.net>,
David Given <d...@cowlark.com> said:

> The one thing that's stopping me recommeding _Foreigner_ to all my
> SF-agnostic friends is that it's got two huge great pointless
> prologues. The two (quite long) stories of how the colony ship
> got lost and how the humans met the atevi convey absolutely
> nothing to the plot --- all the information we need is repeated
> later, in a rather more palatable guise --- and occupies about a
> third of the entire novel.
>
> The actual *story* starts when Bren finds someone in his bedroom,
> and that scene and the couple following it make an excellent
> introduction to the atevi.

Any reason not to recommend it to them with a specific caveat about
skipping the prologues?

Gene Ward Smith

May 25, 2007, 8:17:39 PM5/25/07
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote in

> 938 S. Andrew Swann The Emperors of Twilight
>
> The second Moreau book, in this one a Frank (a modified
human)
> has
> to learn who is trying to kill her and why.

> I have a great fondness for genetically engineered

people but I
> couldn't say why.

Because they make a hell of a lot more sense than
shapeshifters?

> 941 C.J. Cherryh Foreigner
>
> All I can remember about the first Foreigner novel is
that the
> human protagonist seemed strangely ill-prepared for his job.

That's because he was the first person who could really handle
it.

Gene Ward Smith

May 26, 2007, 1:31:42 AM5/26/07
claudi...@gmail.com wrote in news:1179946054.070485.311040

wrote:

> If you like Aaron Copeland? Boxy American-sounding

classical-jazz
> synthesis type stuff? Find an mp3 of Zappa's "Peaches en
> regalia" [sic]. An instrumental, no lyrics. You can argue
whether
> it's his best, but it's very... listenable.

Very little of Copland qualifies as "classical-jazz
synthesis" (despite Benny Goodman having commissioned it, that
includes the clarinet concerto.) None of it seems very much
like Zappa's excursions into the classical realm to me.

elf_with_a...@yahoo.com

May 26, 2007, 1:52:17 AM5/26/07
James Nicoll wrote:

> 945 Jack Lovejoy Outworld Cats
>
> No idea what this is.

Forgettable froth. Fun so long as you turned off all brain activity
while reading it. Going from my one reading of this book (which was
some years ago, so my memory may be off on some of the details), you
had:

1. The title cats: the ancestors of these two cats (evidently a
telelpathic sub-species of regular small cats) were found on Earth
thousands of years ago by alien visitors, who found this species of
small cat made the perfect maintenence crew for their interstellar
exploration cratfs, and captured them all for that purpose. (Though
if the aliens really wanted a small Earth animal to breed/manipulate/
pressgang into being a matainence crew, they should have started with
one of the monkey species, but what do I know? ;) I'm just the reader
here.)

2. Stock heroine: atheletic (possibly a weightlifter), tanned,
smart, searching for her twin brother (who was dedfinatly a
weightlifter), who was part of a Greenpeace-style group who ran afoul
of the main villians, and paid the price for it.

3. Stock hero: decent fellow, also atheltic, student at the business
college owned and operated by the main villian's corperation (training
the next generation of soulless cubicle drones for company profits),
first person to befriend the outworld cats.

4. Supporting character #1: celebrity occult/strange happenings
writer/investigator, who gets dragged into the mystery of the 'alien'
cats, and ultimetly helps stop the main villian and his henchmen.
(This character also held crowded public lectures in his home several
times a week (month?), leading to a bizarre observation of mine during
this scene: would a character with this kind of a lecture schedule,
be asked the two following questions EVERY time he had a Q&A session
-- "If a tree fell in the forest and no-one was around to hear it,
would it still make a noise?" and "Which came first, the chicked or
the egg?" In the book he was asked that every lecture.)

5. Supporting character #2: extremely powerful preteen pyschic, who
had no memory of her life before waking up a few years previous in a
shaman's magic circle, and becoming his student to learn how to
control her awesome powers.

6. Supporting character #3: old actress who was a major movie star
waaaay back in Hollywood's Golden Era. Native of Sicily, meaning she
put greater value on land than she did anything else, meanig if her
many suitors wanted her affection, they brought her property titles
instead of jewlery and flowers. Meaning she owned property that the
main villian wanted, and refused to sell to at any price.

7. Main villian: best way to describe this guy is as either Rupert
Murdoch (the Fox-TV guy) or Bill Gates crossed with Howard Hughes as
he was at the end of his life. One of the richest men in the world
(supposedly he came in #2 wealth-wise in the world), he was Eeeeeeevil
with no redeeming qualities at all. All his corperate buildings
(including the college mentioned earlier) were literally soulless
concrete boxes, the only employees allowed were @$$kissers and yes-
men, where EVERYTHING was caught on tape, and the only means of
advancement was through blackmail and betrayal. A favorite
'punishment' in this company was to take an offending employee and
literally lobotomize him, turning him into a 'brainer', a docile
uncomplaining obediant person who no longer had interest in a life
outside the company. In other words, the villians' preferred worker.

8. The henchmen: the not-too-bright-but-unquestinably-loyal-to-the-
main-villian thug named Angel, and the villian's chief spy, who was
having an affair with the villian's wife. (The spy was one of the few
characters who I found remotely interesting, oddly enough.)

9. The villian's wife: in her prime she ranked #3 in the Miss
Universe pagent, and was so insulted by the fact that two other women
were judged more beautiful than her that she had her lover plant drugs
on the pagent winner (resulting in a lengthy jail sentence for that
victim), and arranged to have the runner-up's husband driven to
suicide and ultimately fixed matters so that the only job this victim
could get was as a waitress at a resturant the wife occasionally ate
at. Interestingly enough, she became one of the good guys by the end
of the story.

10. The villian's secret base: introduced in the last third of the
book, this was a tropical Pacific island where the US government
conducted nuclear tests in the 1950-60's. Decades later, the local
ecology had only three animals left in it: giant mutated rats, who
were the sole inhabitants in the island's jungles; giant mutated
seagulls, who lived in the island's mountains as its sole inhabitants;
and giant mutated crabs, who lived on the island's beaches and waters
as its sole inhabitants. All three species preyed on each other in a
rock-paper-scissors relationship, with the occasional human side dish
when availible. The island was the most interesting thing in the
whole book.

One thing I should mention is that Outworld Cats was clearly meant to
be the first of a series of books set in this universe, with the many
mysteries set up in this book (like where the cats really came from,
and the true origins of the preteen pyschic) to be explored in later
books. So far as I know, no other books in this series ever came
out. Then again, I wasn't looking for them, so I could have missed
the sequels easily.

Overall, I found Outworld Cats the literary equivilent of a so-bad-
it's-almost-good movie. YMMV, of course.

Chris

David Given

May 29, 2007, 10:54:28 AM5/29/07
Peter Bruells wrote:
[...]

> That's the great thing about a book: You can take a scissor and cut it
> yourself.

Yeah, but they look awfully funny as gifts.