School-assigned SF novels

Anthony Nance

Jun 23, 2015, 8:20:57 AM6/23/15
Running into a few summer reading lists and school assignment
lists, I was surprised to realize how many SF longer works we
were collectively assigned[1] during my time in high school:

1984, The Hobbit, The Andromeda Strain, Frankenstein,
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court,
Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, Flowers For Algernon

I'm probably forgetting a few, but this is more than I'd
previously thought.

Anyhow, I'm wondering - what SF longer works[2] were
collectively assigned while you were in school?

Tony
[1] I don't think any one student was assigned all of the
above - each teacher got to tweak their lists a little,
so while different classes each year had great overlap,
there were also a small number of differences.

[2] Like many, I suspect, we read several SF short stories.
I'm thinking more about novels and novellas here.

Greg Goss

Jun 23, 2015, 9:01:48 AM6/23/15
na...@math.ohio-state.edu (Anthony Nance) wrote:

>Running into a few summer reading lists and school assignment
>lists, I was surprised to realize how many SF longer works we
>were collectively assigned[1] during my time in high school:
>
>1984, The Hobbit, The Andromeda Strain, Frankenstein,
>A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court,
>Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, Flowers For Algernon
>
>I'm probably forgetting a few, but this is more than I'd
>previously thought.
>
>Anyhow, I'm wondering - what SF longer works[2] were
>collectively assigned while you were in school?

Where and when I went to high school, we had The Chrysalids. Our
official curriculum for Grade 11 or 12 (I forget which) required a
dystopia, where the teacher got to choose between 1984, Brave New
World, something else (not F451) or This Perfect Day.

I first heard of This Perfect Day when a controversy erupted about the
rape scene. Not because of the rape itself, but because the woman
involved eventually treated it as no big deal once she came to her
senses.

William December Starr

Jun 23, 2015, 9:31:32 AM6/23/15
In article <mmbisl$llr$1...@dont-email.me>,
na...@math.ohio-state.edu (Anthony Nance) said:

> Running into a few summer reading lists and school assignment
> lists, I was surprised to realize how many SF longer works we
> were collectively assigned[1] during my time in high school:
>
> 1984,

Thank god Cliffs Notes exist.

> The Hobbit, The Andromeda Strain, Frankenstein, A Connecticut
> Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Fahrenheit 451,

All okay, though it might be a good idea to teach kids about the
concept of "framing device" before they start reading Andromeda --
at their age and experience levels it may be their first encounter
with it and it might engender confusion leading to resentment.

(And I'm going to feel real dumb if I'm misremembering the
novel... it _was_ framed by excerpts from the after-the-fact
Senate investigation of the incident, right?)

> Brave New World,

At least you can drive sanctimonious teachers crazy by talking about
how nice a society it sounds like.

> Flowers For Algernon

If it's the novelette, yes; if it's the novel, no. And I bet it's the
novel. (Not that the novel is _bad_, it's just that the novelette is
fucking perfect.)

-- wds

Steve Coltrin

Jun 23, 2015, 10:01:27 AM6/23/15
begin fnord
na...@math.ohio-state.edu (Anthony Nance) writes:

> Running into a few summer reading lists and school assignment
> lists, I was surprised to realize how many SF longer works we
> were collectively assigned[1] during my time in high school:
>
> 1984

Which I'd already read,

> The Hobbit

The _only_ assigned book I ever enjoyed reading,

> Brave New World

Which served me in good stead as a college freshman; I wrote a
paper compare-and-contrasting BNW with _Cyteen_ and got high
marks.

--
Steve Coltrin spco...@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel

art...@yahoo.com

Jun 23, 2015, 10:36:01 AM6/23/15
On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 8:20:57 AM UTC-4, Anthony Nance wrote:

> Anyhow, I'm wondering - what SF longer works[2] were
> collectively assigned while you were in school?

Alas Babylon by Pat Frank.

Does Animal Farm count?

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 23, 2015, 11:15:03 AM6/23/15
Anthony Nance <na...@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
>Running into a few summer reading lists and school assignment
>lists, I was surprised to realize how many SF longer works we
>were collectively assigned[1] during my time in high school:
>
>1984, The Hobbit, The Andromeda Strain, Frankenstein,
>A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court,
>Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, Flowers For Algernon
>
>I'm probably forgetting a few, but this is more than I'd
>previously thought.
>
>Anyhow, I'm wondering - what SF longer works[2] were
>collectively assigned while you were in school?

Now, mind you, I was in high school in the 1950s. I was *never*
assigned any SF in high school. Indeed, my junior-year English
teacher held SF in the loftiest contempt. He made us read Ralph
Waldo Emerson and Willa Cather, and when he gave us the choice of
something to review, I would review good SF and he would snarl at
it.

But I won the battle in the end. This guy also edited the school
annual lit'ry publication, and he gave the top award to a short
story about a Native American drum dancer who performed in night
clubs and her dance always made it rain. Finally she got pissed
off enough to do a war dance instead, and the story faded out to
fist-fights in the night club and sirens going off all over the
city.

It had been plagiarized, word for word, from a story somebody had
sold to one of the lesser mags -- Amazing or Fantastic -- *and I
had a copy of the original.* Which I turned over to him. It was
the best story in his collection, and it hadn't even been stolen
from one of the top three.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Scott Lurndal

Jun 23, 2015, 11:45:36 AM6/23/15
How about _Flowers for Algernon_?

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jun 23, 2015, 1:31:09 PM6/23/15
On 23 Jun 2015 09:31:29 -0400, wds...@panix.com (William December
Starr) wrote:

>In article <mmbisl$llr$1...@dont-email.me>,
>na...@math.ohio-state.edu (Anthony Nance) said:
>
>> Brave New World,
>
>At least you can drive sanctimonious teachers crazy by talking about
>how nice a society it sounds like.

Been there, done that.

---

Brian M. Scott

Jun 23, 2015, 1:42:55 PM6/23/15
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 12:19:34 +0000 (UTC), Anthony Nance
<na...@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote
in<news:mmbisl$llr$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:

[...]

> Anyhow, I'm wondering - what SF longer works[2] were
> collectively assigned while you were in school?

None, so far as I can recall. Or short ones, for that
matter.

[...]

Brian
--
It was the neap tide, when the baga venture out of their
holes to root for sandtatties. The waves whispered

Don Kuenz

Jun 23, 2015, 2:09:56 PM6/23/15
Thank you for a story about a story, Dorothy. Now let's see if anyone
can ID the story that started it all. :)

--
,-. There was a young lady named bright
\_/ Whose speed was far faster than light;

Ahasuerus

Jun 23, 2015, 3:04:00 PM6/23/15
On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 8:20:57 AM UTC-4, Anthony Nance wrote:
> Running into a few summer reading lists and school assignment
> lists, I was surprised to realize how many SF longer works we
> were collectively assigned[1] during my time in high school:
>
> 1984, The Hobbit, The Andromeda Strain, Frankenstein,
> A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court,
> Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, Flowers For Algernon [snip]

Pretty good choices overall with the following caveats:

1. _The Hobbit_ may have been a better choice in junior high school.

2. _Brave New World_ is a good novel to be familiar with, but the
writing shows it age.

3. _The Andromeda Strain_ is not a great novel, but, like some other
"borderline SF" bestsellers, it may work as a gateway drug.

Garrett Wollman

Jun 23, 2015, 3:38:17 PM6/23/15
In article <mmbisl$llr$1...@dont-email.me>,
Anthony Nance <na...@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
>Running into a few summer reading lists and school assignment
>lists, I was surprised to realize how many SF longer works we
>were collectively assigned[1] during my time in high school:

Hmmm. "Summer reading lists" were not a thing when I was in high
school, although I gather they're all the rage now.

>1984, The Hobbit, The Andromeda Strain, Frankenstein,
>A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court,
>Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, Flowers For Algernon

I think we did the Shelley and the Twain. "1984" may have been on the
syllabus at home the year I was in Finland. But honestly, I don't
remember novels as playing a big part in my high school English
classes. Plays, yes (mostly Shakespeare), but other than that mostly
literary short stories and poetry.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman | What intellectual phenomenon can be older, or more oft
wol...@bimajority.org| repeated, than the story of a large research program

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 23, 2015, 4:00:10 PM6/23/15
In article <3u5joah9pm05b2pfb...@reader80.eternal-september.org>,
Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:
>On 23 Jun 2015 09:31:29 -0400, wds...@panix.com (William December
>Starr) wrote:
>
>>In article <mmbisl$llr$1...@dont-email.me>,
>>na...@math.ohio-state.edu (Anthony Nance) said:
>>
>>> Brave New World,
>>
>>At least you can drive sanctimonious teachers crazy by talking about
>>how nice a society it sounds like.
>
>Been there, done that.

Or you could tell them about _Cyteen._

Kevrob

Jun 23, 2015, 4:17:49 PM6/23/15
On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 3:04:00 PM UTC-4, Ahasuerus wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 8:20:57 AM UTC-4, Anthony Nance wrote:
> > Running into a few summer reading lists and school assignment
> > lists, I was surprised to realize how many SF longer works we
> > were collectively assigned[1] during my time in high school:
> >
> > 1984, The Hobbit, The Andromeda Strain, Frankenstein,
> > A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court,
> > Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, Flowers For Algernon [snip]
>
> Pretty good choices overall with the following caveats:
>
> 1. _The Hobbit_ may have been a better choice in junior high school.

I remember this having been in the children's room at our village
library. You couldn't get access to the adults' floor of the library
until you had hit grade 7. I started grade 6 at age 10 and would shortly
turn 11. I had seen Leonard Nimoy singing about Bilbo on TV....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ballad_of_Bilbo_Baggins

....so I picked it up and examined it. My nose wrinkled at the stench of
fairy story*, and reached for something with a rocket ship emblazoned on its spine.

In high school, a couple of SF reading buddies of mine turned me onto
LOTR. I read that, then backtracked and read the Hobbit, suitably chastened.

Junior high books, or Young Adult as they were being called, were kept
with the adult collection. Once you got your card stamped YA, you could take
out anything from the adult collection that the librarian didn't blink at.
I never tried to take out Peyton Place or anything else with a "sexy"
reputation. I think our librarians didn't know what was in books like
"The Puppet Masters." Our local jr highs were grades 7-8-9 at the time,
but only the public schools had them. The local Catholic schools had
grades 1-8 in an elementary schools, and all 4 years of high school
in one building. I think the Lutherans did the same.

> 2. _Brave New World_ is a good novel to be familiar with, but the
> writing shows it age.

Dear Ford, it does, but Zeerust is all around us, even in our u/dystopias.

> 3. _The Andromeda Strain_ is not a great novel, but, like some other
> "borderline SF" bestsellers, it may work as a gateway drug.

When that was released the publishers were very plainly trying to avoid
typical science fiction marketing, in favor of the pattern for contemporary
blockbuster fiction. I first encountered it in a newspaper serialization.
The Long Island Press ran excerpts 5 days running, IMS. I guess the modern
equivalent would be what is marketed as a "techno-thriller." Still, a
non-Terran organism reaches Earth from space: that's SF.

Kevin R

* A prejudice I grew out of. I think it was Bullfinch's Mythology that
got me. I even read a shelf's worth of Oz books one summer before I finished elementary school.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jun 23, 2015, 4:29:21 PM6/23/15
Ahasuerus <ahas...@email.com> wrote in

> 3. _The Andromeda Strain_ is not a great novel, but, like some
> other "borderline SF" bestsellers, it may work as a gateway
> drug.

There was a movie version of it. There was even a passing resemblance
between them, though not more than that, as I recall.

--
Terry Austin

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jun 23, 2015, 4:30:40 PM6/23/15
wol...@bimajority.org (Garrett Wollman) wrote in

> Hmmm. "Summer reading lists" were not a thing when I was in
> high school, although I gather they're all the rage now.

Where I went to high school, summer homework was more likely to be
"take pictures of whatever game you shoot during the summer."

Gene Wirchenko

Jun 23, 2015, 4:30:47 PM6/23/15
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 15:02:44 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

[snip]

>Now, mind you, I was in high school in the 1950s. I was *never*
>assigned any SF in high school. Indeed, my junior-year English
>teacher held SF in the loftiest contempt. He made us read Ralph
>Waldo Emerson and Willa Cather, and when he gave us the choice of
>something to review, I would review good SF and he would snarl at
>it.
>
>But I won the battle in the end. This guy also edited the school
>annual lit'ry publication, and he gave the top award to a short
>story about a Native American drum dancer who performed in night
>clubs and her dance always made it rain. Finally she got pissed
>off enough to do a war dance instead, and the story faded out to
>fist-fights in the night club and sirens going off all over the
>city.
>
>It had been plagiarized, word for word, from a story somebody had
>sold to one of the lesser mags -- Amazing or Fantastic -- *and I
>had a copy of the original.* Which I turned over to him. It was
>the best story in his collection, and it hadn't even been stolen
>from one of the top three.

Nice egging.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Kevrob

Jun 23, 2015, 5:54:00 PM6/23/15
I bought the Ted White edited Amazing pretty regularly, but from the mid-70s
to the end (1978?) of his tenure. It doesn't ring any bells with me.
I read Fantastic less often, though.

This is a wonderful story, and an object lesson to those teaching survey
courses everywhere: in your class you may have a hedgehog who knows one area _very well_ , and if you try to slide by with sloppy preparation you may get
caught out.

Kevin R

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 23, 2015, 6:30:12 PM6/23/15
In article <30641d5a-ca24-48bc...@googlegroups.com>,
Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 4:30:47 PM UTC-4, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 15:02:44 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
>> Heydt) wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> >Now, mind you, I was in high school in the 1950s. I was *never*
>> >assigned any SF in high school. Indeed, my junior-year English
>> >teacher held SF in the loftiest contempt. He made us read Ralph
>> >Waldo Emerson and Willa Cather, and when he gave us the choice of
>> >something to review, I would review good SF and he would snarl at
>> >it.
>> >
>> >But I won the battle in the end. This guy also edited the school
>> >annual lit'ry publication, and he gave the top award to a short
>> >story about a Native American drum dancer who performed in night
>> >clubs and her dance always made it rain. Finally she got pissed
>> >off enough to do a war dance instead, and the story faded out to
>> >fist-fights in the night club and sirens going off all over the
>> >city.
>> >
>> >It had been plagiarized, word for word, from a story somebody had
>> >sold to one of the lesser mags -- Amazing or Fantastic -- *and I
>> >had a copy of the original.* Which I turned over to him. It was
>> >the best story in his collection, and it hadn't even been stolen
>> >from one of the top three.
>>
>> Nice egging.
>
>I bought the Ted White edited Amazing pretty regularly, but from the mid-70s
>to the end (1978?) of his tenure. It doesn't ring any bells with me.
>I read Fantastic less often, though.

It wouldn't. This would've been in 1958 that I pulled my copy of
A. or F. on him, and it had been published one to several years
before that.

>This is a wonderful story, and an object lesson to those teaching survey
>courses everywhere: in your class you may have a hedgehog who knows one
>area _very well_ , and if you try to slide by with sloppy preparation
>you may get caught out.

Well, I wasn't an encyclopedic expert on all published SF then
and I'm not now. But by the will of God or the chance of Fortune
or you-name-it, I happened to have that copy of that magazine in
my collection, along with the several years' runs of Astounding,
Galaxy, and F&SF that filled an entire bookshelf in my bedroom.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 23, 2015, 6:30:12 PM6/23/15
In article <XnsA4C289365DA...@69.16.179.42>,
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Ahasuerus <ahas...@email.com> wrote in
>
>> 3. _The Andromeda Strain_ is not a great novel, but, like some
>> other "borderline SF" bestsellers, it may work as a gateway
>> drug.
>
>There was a movie version of it. There was even a passing resemblance
>between them, though not more than that, as I recall.

The plot was essentially the same; one postive change was that
one of the originally all-male scientists was changed to a woman,
and her crabby, in-your-face character stole most of the show.

Indeed, looking back on both the book (which I have read) and the
movie (which I have seen several times, owning the DVD) one of
the major changes for the better was giving the main characters
some *character.* Crichton's scientists, as I remember them,
were pretty blah. But then it was his first novel.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jun 23, 2015, 6:34:21 PM6/23/15
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in

> In article <XnsA4C289365DA...@69.16.179.42>,
> Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Ahasuerus <ahas...@email.com> wrote in
>>
>>> 3. _The Andromeda Strain_ is not a great novel, but, like some
>>> other "borderline SF" bestsellers, it may work as a gateway
>>> drug.
>>
>>There was a movie version of it. There was even a passing
>>resemblance between them, though not more than that, as I
>>recall.
>
> The plot was essentially the same; one postive change was that
> one of the originally all-male scientists was changed to a
> woman, and her crabby, in-your-face character stole most of the
> show.

It's been a long time for either, but as I recall, I liked the movie
better. Though the book seemed better SF. If you know what I mean.

> Indeed, looking back on both the book (which I have read) and
> the movie (which I have seen several times, owning the DVD) one
> of the major changes for the better was giving the main
> characters some *character.* Crichton's scientists, as I
> remember them, were pretty blah. But then it was his first
> novel.

I haven't read a lot of Chrichton, but I don't recall him being
notable for deep, three dimensional characterization (which is part
of the reason I haven't read a lot of his work).

synthi...@yahoo.com

Jun 23, 2015, 6:51:12 PM6/23/15
It wasn't assigned, but in middle school, I ran through all the "junior" sci fi in my local library, and I learned the concept of grossly inadequate research when I found in the kids library section "a Boy and his Dog".

ouch

Lynn McGuire

Jun 23, 2015, 6:56:28 PM6/23/15
On 6/23/2015 5:51 PM, synthi...@yahoo.com wrote:
> It wasn't assigned, but in middle school, I ran through all the "junior" sci fi in my local library, and I learned the concept of grossly inadequate research when I found in the kids library section "a Boy and his Dog".
>
> ouch

Me too. And _Stranger in a Strange Land_. And several others with high sexual content.

But, my girlfriend and I were reading Playboys over at her house in 7th grade so none of this was new.

Lynn

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jun 23, 2015, 6:57:33 PM6/23/15
On 6/23/15 8:19 AM, Anthony Nance wrote:

> Anyhow, I'm wondering - what SF longer works[2] were
> collectively assigned while you were in school?

None. I never saw an SF story assigned throughout my time in the public
school system. I was the only person I knew who READ SF in the school
system until I reached high school.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jun 23, 2015, 7:39:11 PM6/23/15
"Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in

> I was the only person I knew who READ SF in the
> school system until I reached high school.

I was the only kind I knew who read - at all - until well after high
school. Mind you, some of them (a few) *could* read, but nobody did.
They were too busy chasing cousins, I guess.

lal_truckee

Jun 23, 2015, 8:19:44 PM6/23/15
On 6/23/15 3:56 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

> But, my girlfriend and I were reading Playboys over at her house in 7th
> grade so none of this was new.

In 7th grade you're supposed to be trying out the poses, not reading them.

Steve Coltrin

Jun 23, 2015, 10:03:46 PM6/23/15
begin fnord
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) writes:

> In article <3u5joah9pm05b2pfb...@reader80.eternal-september.org>,
> Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:
>>On 23 Jun 2015 09:31:29 -0400, wds...@panix.com (William December
>>Starr) wrote:

>>>At least you can drive sanctimonious teachers crazy by talking about
>>>how nice a society it sounds like.
>>
>>Been there, done that.
>>
> Or you could tell them about _Cyteen._

Been there, done that.

(Then a few years later told C.J. Cherryh that I had; she then told
me that she hadn't read BNW when she wrote _Cyteen_.)

Gene Wirchenko

Jun 23, 2015, 11:04:46 PM6/23/15
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 13:31:07 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net>
wrote:

>On 23 Jun 2015 09:31:29 -0400, wds...@panix.com (William December
>Starr) wrote:
>
>>In article <mmbisl$llr$1...@dont-email.me>,
>>na...@math.ohio-state.edu (Anthony Nance) said:
>>
>>> Brave New World,
>>
>>At least you can drive sanctimonious teachers crazy by talking about
>>how nice a society it sounds like.
>
>Been there, done that.

Please, do tell.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jun 24, 2015, 12:37:07 AM6/24/15
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 20:04:43 -0700, Gene Wirchenko <ge...@telus.net>
wrote:
High school English -- I forget the year. 11th grade, maybe? I
pointed out in class that the people of _Brave New World_ were
generally happy, and free to do as they pleased -- yeah, they'd been
conditioned to not want certain things, but so what? We all are. The
only reason the Savage is so miserable is that he hadn't been raised
in that society, but in one with standards that already seemed pretty
silly by the time we read the book, circa 1970.

The teacher wasn't sure whether I was serious or not, but couldn't
find any convincing counter-arguments.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jun 24, 2015, 7:09:52 AM6/24/15
Er, no, you're not even in high school yet at that point.

Anthony Nance

Jun 24, 2015, 7:39:54 AM6/24/15
William December Starr <wds...@panix.com> wrote:
> In article <mmbisl$llr$1...@dont-email.me>,
> na...@math.ohio-state.edu (Anthony Nance) said:
>
>> Running into a few summer reading lists and school assignment
>> lists, I was surprised to realize how many SF longer works we
>> were collectively assigned[1] during my time in high school:
>>
>> 1984,
>
> Thank god Cliffs Notes exist.

Eh - while it was my least favorite in the list I gave (and I have
never read Brave New World), it was in the middle of the pack as
far as our assigned novels went.

>> The Hobbit, The Andromeda Strain, Frankenstein, A Connecticut
>> Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Fahrenheit 451,
>
> All okay, though it might be a good idea to teach kids about the
> concept of "framing device" before they start reading Andromeda --
> at their age and experience levels it may be their first encounter
> with it and it might engender confusion leading to resentment.
>
> (And I'm going to feel real dumb if I'm misremembering the
> novel... it _was_ framed by excerpts from the after-the-fact
> Senate investigation of the incident, right?)

That rings a bell, but it's been so so long....

>> Brave New World,
>
> At least you can drive sanctimonious teachers crazy by talking about
> how nice a society it sounds like.
>
>> Flowers For Algernon
>
> If it's the novelette, yes; if it's the novel, no. And I bet it's the
> novel. (Not that the novel is _bad_, it's just that the novelette is
> fucking perfect.)

Ancient memory and a quick glance at Wikipedia suggest it was likely
the novelette. Which means I haven't read the novel, now that I think
about it.

Tony

Anthony Nance

Jun 24, 2015, 7:42:47 AM6/24/15
art...@yahoo.com <art...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 8:20:57 AM UTC-4, Anthony Nance wrote:
>
>> Anyhow, I'm wondering - what SF longer works[2] were
>> collectively assigned while you were in school?
>
> Alas Babylon by Pat Frank.
>
> Does Animal Farm count?

I'd say yes. Just by coincidence, I started reading it last night.
- Tony

Anthony Nance

Jun 24, 2015, 7:50:50 AM6/24/15
Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 12:19:34 +0000 (UTC), Anthony Nance
> <na...@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote
> in<news:mmbisl$llr$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:
>
> [...]
>
>> Anyhow, I'm wondering - what SF longer works[2] were
>> collectively assigned while you were in school?
>
> None, so far as I can recall. Or short ones, for that
> matter.

We read a lot of short stories and plays, and there was
a similar proportion of SF in there, including some
horror for those that include horror in their SF.

In particular, I remember a rather diverse collection
of short stories which (I think) included a few SF/horror
stories such as "By the Waters of Babylon", "Two Bottles
of Relish", and "The Cask Of Amontillado".

It seems likely at least one of my teachers enjoyed SF.
- Tony

Anthony Nance

Jun 24, 2015, 8:02:42 AM6/24/15
"reading", you say? :)

Dirk van den Boom

Jun 24, 2015, 11:24:30 AM6/24/15
Am 23.06.2015 um 14:19 schrieb Anthony Nance:
> Running into a few summer reading lists and school assignment
> lists, I was surprised to realize how many SF longer works we
> were collectively assigned[1] during my time in high school:

> Anyhow, I'm wondering - what SF longer works[2] were
> collectively assigned while you were in school?

I (in Germany) had Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World in English
language lessons, but unfortunately not one SF novel in German, despite
the fact that my last German teacher turned out to be a SF-fan (I was
allowed to write a paper about the 'New Wave' to increase my marks, though).

--
www.sf-boom-blog.de

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jun 24, 2015, 1:48:54 PM6/24/15
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 11:38:30 +0000 (UTC), na...@math.ohio-state.edu
(Anthony Nance) wrote:

>William December Starr <wds...@panix.com> wrote:
>> In article <mmbisl$llr$1...@dont-email.me>,
>> na...@math.ohio-state.edu (Anthony Nance) said:
>>
>>> Running into a few summer reading lists and school assignment
>>> lists, I was surprised to realize how many SF longer works we
>>> were collectively assigned[1] during my time in high school:
>>>
>>> 1984,
>>
>> Thank god Cliffs Notes exist.
>
>Eh - while it was my least favorite in the list I gave (and I have
>never read Brave New World), it was in the middle of the pack as
>far as our assigned novels went.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed _Brave New World_ -- yeah, the
ending is something of a downer, and the character at the heart of the
story (I hesitate to call him the protagonist) is a jerk, but most of
it was fun, and the world-building was science fictional in a way that
seems astonishingly modern for 1927.

Ahasuerus

Jun 24, 2015, 2:06:22 PM6/24/15
On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 7:42:47 AM UTC-4, Anthony Nance wrote:
> art...@yahoo.com <art...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 8:20:57 AM UTC-4, Anthony Nance wrote:
> >
> >> Anyhow, I'm wondering - what SF longer works[2] were
> >> collectively assigned while you were in school? [snip]
> >
> > Alas Babylon by Pat Frank.
> >
> > Does Animal Farm count?
>
> I'd say yes. Just by coincidence, I started reading it last night.

It's not as impactful as _1984_ and it's more closely tied to then-
recent history (Trotsky, Stalin, the show trials, etc), but it's a
decent read even if you are not familiar with early 20th century
history.

Brian M. Scott

Jun 24, 2015, 4:11:53 PM6/24/15
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 15:34:18 -0700, Gutless Umbrella
Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote
in<news:XnsA4C29E67EB0...@69.16.179.42> in
rec.arts.sf.written:
Fifth or sixth, actually, but the earlier ones were
published under the pseudonym John Lange (or in one case
Jerffery Hudson).

> I haven't read a lot of Chrichton, but I don't recall him
> being notable for deep, three dimensional
> characterization (which is part of the reason I haven't
> read a lot of his work).

I’ve read only _Eaters of the Dead_, which was genuinely
rather clever. (It didn’t hurt that I was familiar with
and recognized ibn Fadlan’s account in the first few
chapters.)

Brian
--
It was the neap tide, when the baga venture out of their
holes to root for sandtatties. The waves whispered
rhythmically over the packed sand: haggisss, haggisss,
haggisss.

pete...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2015, 4:26:18 PM6/24/15
I read one of those 'Binary', which was about an attempted
terrorist attack using nerve gas. It was pretty short and light.
I also read his non-fiction 'Five Patients' from 1970.

> > I haven't read a lot of Chrichton, but I don't recall him
> > being notable for deep, three dimensional
> > characterization (which is part of the reason I haven't
> > read a lot of his work).

After reading 'Andromeda Strain' when it was new, I read his
stuff quite regularly for a while; but somewhere along the line
I just stopped having fun - he was so pessimistic about human
progress; it seemed like his primary message was 'There Are Things
Man Should Not Meddle In".

I think Jurassic Park was the last book of his I read. My wife wants
to go to the new movie. I'll go, but I'm not enthused.

pt

Kevrob

Jun 24, 2015, 4:31:35 PM6/24/15
If you got out of line in class, would Herr Doktor Professor threaten to make you read the complete Perry Rhodan?

Kevin R

Jerry Brown

Jun 24, 2015, 5:09:00 PM6/24/15
I recall discussing Timeline with Gharlane shortly before he died. I
still feel slightly guilty about that.

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

Ahasuerus

Jun 24, 2015, 5:17:26 PM6/24/15
On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 1:42:55 PM UTC-4, Brian M. Scott wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 12:19:34 +0000 (UTC), Anthony Nance
> <na...@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote
> in<news:mmbisl$llr$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:
>
> [...]
>
> > Anyhow, I'm wondering - what SF longer works[2] were
> > collectively assigned while you were in school?
>
> None, so far as I can recall. Or short ones, for that matter.

Homer? Hesiod? _The Tempest_? _A Midsummer Night's Dream_?
_Macbeth_? _Hamlet_?

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jun 24, 2015, 5:25:27 PM6/24/15
pete...@gmail.com wrote in

> it seemed like his primary message was 'There Are
> Things Man Should Not Meddle In".

One of which is "acting more like human beings than like monkeys."

> I think Jurassic Park was the last book of his I read. My wife
> wants to go to the new movie. I'll go, but I'm not enthused.

It has nearly set a record for how quickly it has reached a billion
dollars at the box office, but I'm going to pass.

Lynn McGuire

Jun 24, 2015, 5:39:11 PM6/24/15
If you like the first one, you will probably like the fourth. The humans are inconsequential, the stars are the dinosaurs. The CGI
is excellent, the 3-D is not.

Nice review:
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/blog/jurassic-world-movie-review

Lynn

Lynn McGuire

Jun 24, 2015, 5:47:43 PM6/24/15
12 years old, really? She was not interested in doing that at all.

Lynn

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jun 24, 2015, 5:55:20 PM6/24/15
Lynn McGuire <l...@winsim.com> wrote in
Late bloomer.

J. Clarke

Jun 24, 2015, 6:02:35 PM6/24/15
In article <mmf8fc$pm2$1...@dont-email.me>, l...@winsim.com says...
Or she wouldn't admit it to you. I remember a 12 year old mother--I
asked her how it happened, she replied "never play strip poker without
cutting the deck".

William December Starr

Jun 24, 2015, 6:05:34 PM6/24/15
In article <XnsA4C392B8E18...@69.16.179.42>,
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> said:

> pete...@gmail.com wrote
>
>> I think Jurassic Park was the last book of his I read. My wife
>> wants to go to the new movie. I'll go, but I'm not enthused.
>
> It has nearly set a record for how quickly it has reached a
> billion dollars at the box office, but I'm going to pass.

What I'd like to know is if the movie addresses in way the question
of how the Hammond Corporation or whatever it's called managed to
get international permission to re-open the park after that
"dinosaurs romping around in San Diego" incident in, um, the second
movie, I think it was. And by "permission to re-open the park" I
mean, "not have their island nuked out of existence."

-- wds

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jun 24, 2015, 6:17:38 PM6/24/15
wds...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote in news:mmf9jc$av9$1
@panix2.panix.com:
I thought it was a complete reboot?

Brian M. Scott

Jun 24, 2015, 6:37:29 PM6/24/15
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 14:17:23 -0700 (PDT), Ahasuerus
<ahas...@email.com> wrote
in<news:e0c8056f-3c14-45af...@googlegroups.com>
in rec.arts.sf.written:
I’ll give you ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’. I didn’t think
of it, because we did it in eighth grade, and I was
thinking of high school. (I had an extremely good eighth
grade English teacher: it’s still one of my favorites,
something that I can’t say about anything else that I was
required to read in school.) I won’t give you ‘Macbeth’,
which we did in high school: the fantasy element is far too
small. None of the others was required at any point. A
pity, in the case of the ‘Tempest’: it’s another one of my
favorites.

I’m not at all sure that I’d give you Homer, either: for me
the Iliad and the Odyssey belong to a related but different
category. I could probably give you the Divine Comedy,
though, at least two-thirds of which I had to read in
college. (You’d be welcome to keep it, too!)

Raymond Daley

Jun 24, 2015, 6:40:26 PM6/24/15

"Anthony Nance" <na...@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote in message
> Running into a few summer reading lists and school assignment
> lists, I was surprised to realize how many SF longer works we
> were collectively assigned[1] during my time in high school:

What kind of awesome high school were you attending that gave you ANY SF to
read?
Jeez, we got Shakespeare and Joe Egg.

I don't recall ever being given any SF to read for English as a subject.

William December Starr

Jun 24, 2015, 6:48:09 PM6/24/15
In article <XnsA4C39B91355...@69.16.179.43>,
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> said:

> wds...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote
>
>> What I'd like to know is if the movie addresses in way the
>> question of how the Hammond Corporation or whatever it's called
>> managed to get international permission to re-open the park after
>> that "dinosaurs romping around in San Diego" incident in, um, the
>> second movie, I think it was. And by "permission to re-open the
>> park" I mean, "not have their island nuked out of existence."
>
> I thought it was a complete reboot?

I read a review which said otherwise, thoughof course I can't track
it down now even though I just read it this morning, aargh. I *can*
find this one, though:

https://cinemaandsilliness.wordpress.com/2015/06/12/review-jurassic-world/

which starts out:

Synopsis

Twenty-two years after the events of Jurassic Park, the
Island of Isla Nublar is now the site of a fully
functioning, Disneyworld-esque, dinosaur theme park
called `Jurassic World'. With profits to make and
increasingly apathetic visitors to entertain, Claire
(Bryce Dallas Howard), Head of Operations, commissions
the creation of a genetically modified dinosaur, the
Indominous Rex, to cater to demands for bigger, scarier
attractions.

...so it looks to me like they're going for in-world continuity, and
some reviewers/reporters/nattering nabobs of cinema are confusingly
throwing the word "reboot" around when they should be saying "restart."

-- wds

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jun 24, 2015, 7:11:23 PM6/24/15
wds...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote in
If I were to put a numberical value on how much this changes how
much I want to see this movie, iot'd be a negative number. It was
less uninteresting as a reboot.

J. Clarke

Jun 24, 2015, 7:14:07 PM6/24/15
In article <rlGix.967640$UV7.8...@fx27.am4>,
raymon...@ntlworld.com says...
We got Stranger in a Strange Land but this was from Mithter Mathon, who
made a great show of being weird--the guy practically walked down the
street chewing the scenery. I don't recall now if we got Animal Farm and
1984 there or whether that was college.

Moriarty

Jun 24, 2015, 7:43:32 PM6/24/15
On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 6:11:53 AM UTC+10, Brian M. Scott wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 15:34:18 -0700, Gutless Umbrella
> Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote

<snip>

#Michael Crichton#

> >> Indeed, looking back on both the book (which I have
> >> read) and the movie (which I have seen several times,
> >> owning the DVD) one of the major changes for the better
> >> was giving the main characters some *character.*
> >> Crichton's scientists, as I remember them, were pretty
> >> blah. But then it was his first novel.
>
> Fifth or sixth, actually, but the earlier ones were
> published under the pseudonym John Lange

I wonder if that's why John Lange adopted the pseudonym John Norman?

-Moriarty

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 24, 2015, 7:45:12 PM6/24/15
In article <0bbfd4e4-979d-4acc...@googlegroups.com>,
<pete...@gmail.com> wrote:

>After reading 'Andromeda Strain' when it was new, I read his
>stuff quite regularly for a while; but somewhere along the line
>I just stopped having fun - he was so pessimistic about human
>progress; it seemed like his primary message was 'There Are Things
>Man Should Not Meddle In".

Well, he discovered that fear sells. Fear of the unknown
*really* sells. And for your bog-standard American moviegoer,
science is the unknown.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
djheydt at gmail dot com
Should you wish to email me, you'd better use the gmail edress.
Kithrup's all spammy and hotmail's been hacked.

Moriarty

Jun 24, 2015, 7:46:25 PM6/24/15
On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 8:40:26 AM UTC+10, Raymond Daley wrote:
> "Anthony Nance" <na...@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote in message
> > Running into a few summer reading lists and school assignment
> > lists, I was surprised to realize how many SF longer works we
> > were collectively assigned[1] during my time in high school:
>
> What kind of awesome high school were you attending that gave you ANY SF to
> read?
> Jeez, we got Shakespeare and Joe Egg.

The Shakespeare we got was _A Midsummer Night's Dream_ and _The Tempest_, both of which qualify as SF.

-Moriarty

Lynn McGuire

Jun 24, 2015, 7:51:41 PM6/24/15
The movie pointedly has a statue of Hammond in the Jurassic World town square. Plus the kids climb up through the old aviary??? and
get an old Jurassic Park jeep started.

Lynn

Brian M. Scott

Jun 24, 2015, 7:52:27 PM6/24/15
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 16:43:29 -0700 (PDT), Moriarty
<blu...@ivillage.com> wrote
in<news:3b308f60-1fff-47ac...@googlegroups.com>
in rec.arts.sf.written:
Probably not: both seem to have published their first
novels in 1966.

Ahasuerus

Jun 24, 2015, 7:59:55 PM6/24/15
On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 6:37:29 PM UTC-4, Brian M. Scott wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 14:17:23 -0700 (PDT), Ahasuerus
> <ahas...@email.com> wrote
> in<news:e0c8056f-3c14-45af...@googlegroups.com>
> in rec.arts.sf.written:
>
> > On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 1:42:55 PM UTC-4, Brian M.
> > Scott wrote:
>
> >> On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 12:19:34 +0000 (UTC), Anthony Nance
> >> <na...@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote
> >> in<news:mmbisl$llr$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:
>
> >> [...]
>
> >> None, so far as I can recall. Or short ones, for that matter.
>
> > Homer? Hesiod? _The Tempest_? _A Midsummer Night's
> > Dream_? _Macbeth_? _Hamlet_?
>
> I'll give you 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'. I didn't think
> of it, because we did it in eighth grade, and I was
> thinking of high school. (I had an extremely good eighth
> grade English teacher: it's still one of my favorites,
> something that I can't say about anything else that I was
> required to read in school.) I won't give you 'Macbeth',
> which we did in high school: the fantasy element is far too
> small. None of the others was required at any point. [snip]

No _Hamlet_? Perhaps they didn't want to expose HS kids to a
supernatural murder mystery lest they get addicted to genre
fiction.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 24, 2015, 8:00:03 PM6/24/15
In article <e32f689c-5007-4409...@googlegroups.com>,
Including Fantasy within Speculative Fiction, yes.

We could argue about whether _Macbeth_ qualified at the time of
writing: the play was written in the reign of (and, to a certain
extent, for) James the First, who believed in witches.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 24, 2015, 8:00:04 PM6/24/15
In article <XnsA4C397C9C98...@69.16.179.42>,
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Lynn McGuire <l...@winsim.com> wrote in

>>> In 7th grade you're supposed to be trying out the poses, not
>>> reading them.
>>
>> 12 years old, really? She was not interested in doing that at
>> all.
>>
>Late bloomer.

Well, it depends on what you're used to. I didn't hit puberty
till I was sixteen, and a damn good thing it was too; my brain
was able to take, and keep, the high ground against the hormones.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 24, 2015, 8:00:04 PM6/24/15
In article <rlGix.967640$UV7.8...@fx27.am4>,
As mentioned above, me neither, but I had my revenge.

As for Joe Egg, I had to google it. After my time, and on the
other side of the pond.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 24, 2015, 8:00:04 PM6/24/15
In article <3b308f60-1fff-47ac...@googlegroups.com>,
By crackey, you learn something new every day. I always assumed
Lange went pseudonymus because he had an academic job.

Brian M. Scott

Jun 24, 2015, 8:29:25 PM6/24/15
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 16:59:52 -0700 (PDT), Ahasuerus
<ahas...@email.com> wrote
in<news:27fdc8b7-4df7-4dbd...@googlegroups.com>
in rec.arts.sf.written:
Nope. The only other Shakespeare was ‘Julius Caesar’.
Pity it wasn’t Shaw’s ‘Caesar and Cleopatra’ instead.
Which reminds me: the chocolate cream soldier -- er, ‘Arms
and the Man’ -- would have been great fun.

[...]

Brian
--
It was called ‘Birdsong at Eventide’, and it went, ‘Ting
_pling_ ting pling _ting_, ting tong, ting tong, ting

Brian M. Scott

Jun 24, 2015, 8:31:46 PM6/24/15
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 23:44:42 GMT, Dorothy J Heydt
<djh...@kithrup.com> wrote
in<news:nqH3A...@kithrup.com> in rec.arts.sf.written:

[...]

> Well, it depends on what you're used to. I didn't hit
> puberty till I was sixteen, and a damn good thing it was
> too; my brain was able to take, and keep, the high
> ground against the hormones.

Might have done so anyway: I hit puberty right about when I
turned 12 and never had any problem keeping the brain well
ahead of the hormones.

Cryptoengineer

Jun 24, 2015, 9:37:36 PM6/24/15
Ahasuerus <ahas...@email.com> wrote in news:27fdc8b7-4df7-4dbd-bbbd-
beb7c1...@googlegroups.com:
When I was in school in Britain, high school included 'O'
(ordinary) levels around age 16, and 'A' (advanced) levels
around 18. Most students took half a dozen or so O levels.
A levels were generally regarded at college prep, and most
people only took around 3. These exams were uniform across
the whole country.I was a science oriented student,
so I didn't take A level English.

The students who did so, were, in each year, assigned a
novel and a Shakespears play, a different one for each
graduation year, and studied those for two years. As a
result, I saw a *lot* of copies scattered around my boarding
house. I don't recall all, but they included most of the
more interesting plays, as well as Brave New World,
1984, and Animal Farm. I read the two latter in copies
borrowed from my more liberal arts oriented
housemates.

pt

David DeLaney

Jun 24, 2015, 11:10:46 PM6/24/15
On 2015-06-24, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
> On 6/23/15 8:19 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
>> On 6/23/15 3:56 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> But, my girlfriend and I were reading Playboys over at her house in 7th
>>> grade so none of this was new.
>>
>> In 7th grade you're supposed to be trying out the poses, not reading them.
>
> Er, no, you're not even in high school yet at that point.

But you're out of elementary school in the States; it's usually called 'junior
high' here. And kids are 12-13 at that point ... not actually too young to
be getting into compromising positions, as it were, if the parents don't have
a 'keep the door open' policy or the like for study dates.

Dave
http://gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd/ -net.legends/Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

Robert Bannister

Jun 24, 2015, 11:10:52 PM6/24/15
On 25/06/2015 2:06 am, Ahasuerus wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 7:42:47 AM UTC-4, Anthony Nance wrote:
>> art...@yahoo.com <art...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Alas Babylon by Pat Frank.
>>>
>>> Does Animal Farm count?
>>
>> I'd say yes. Just by coincidence, I started reading it last night.
>
> It's not as impactful as _1984_ and it's more closely tied to then-
> recent history (Trotsky, Stalin, the show trials, etc), but it's a
> decent read even if you are not familiar with early 20th century
> history.

I think it might be quoted more often than 1984, though, even if people
are not always aware of where the line comes from.

--
Robert Bannister
Perth, Western Australia

Robert Bannister

Jun 24, 2015, 11:17:07 PM6/24/15
On 24/06/2015 11:24 pm, Dirk van den Boom wrote:
> Am 23.06.2015 um 14:19 schrieb Anthony Nance:
>> Running into a few summer reading lists and school assignment
>> lists, I was surprised to realize how many SF longer works we
>> were collectively assigned[1] during my time in high school:
>
>> Anyhow, I'm wondering - what SF longer works[2] were
>> collectively assigned while you were in school?
>
> I (in Germany) had Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World in English
> language lessons, but unfortunately not one SF novel in German, despite
> the fact that my last German teacher turned out to be a SF-fan (I was
> allowed to write a paper about the 'New Wave' to increase my marks,
> though).

The only SF I could find in Germany in the 60s were translations. I
first read "The Puppet Masters" in German. Even today, there's very
little that's any good.

David DeLaney

Jun 24, 2015, 11:22:34 PM6/24/15
On 2015-06-24, Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:
> Moriarty <blu...@ivillage.com> wrote:
>>The Shakespeare we got was _A Midsummer Night's Dream_ and _The
>>Tempest_, both of which qualify as SF.
>
> Including Fantasy within Speculative Fiction, yes.

Yep. I believe Neil Gaiman had something to say about those two, not all that
many years ago now.

> We could argue about whether _Macbeth_ qualified at the time of
> writing: the play was written in the reign of (and, to a certain
> extent, for) James the First, who believed in witches.

"At time of writing" maybe, maybe not, yes - people's beliefs about what was
real and what was fantastic were rather different then. But I'd say at least
some of it was MEANT to be fantastic, specifically the prophecies, and the
ghost...

[It starts OFF with witches - probably Shakespeare's best-known trio of them -
and prophecy, one of which comes true _immediately_ thereafter, continues
through supernatural portents, and then we get to Banquo's ghost, who, granted,
from the point of view of the REST of the cast other than Macbeth, is an
hallucination... then the witches return, more prophecy, two of which are
the "no man of woman born" one and the "until Great Birnam Wood come to
Dunsinane" one... to Macbeth _only_. Imaginary bloodstains, and the
fulfillment of prophecy by people who had not heard them. And Banquo's line
makes kings.]

Ahasuerus

Jun 24, 2015, 11:27:57 PM6/24/15
On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 11:10:46 PM UTC-4, David DeLaney wrote:
> On 2015-06-24, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> In 7th grade you're supposed to be trying out the poses, not
> >> reading them.
> >
> > Er, no, you're not even in high school yet at that point.
>
> But you're out of elementary school in the States; it's usually
> called 'junior high' here. [snip]

It's mostly middle schools these days. There were 2,100 middle schools
and 7,800 junior high schools in 1970/1971. In 2011/2012 the numbers
were 13,000 and 2,900 (https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=84)

As to what you are "supposed" to do in middle school, it depends on
who is doing the supposing.

Brian M. Scott

Jun 25, 2015, 1:38:13 AM6/25/15
On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 11:17:01 +0800, Robert Bannister
<rob...@clubtelco.com> wrote
in<news:cv1a5g...@mid.individual.net> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

> On 24/06/2015 11:24 pm, Dirk van den Boom wrote:

[...]

>> I (in Germany) had Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World in
>> English language lessons, but unfortunately not one SF
>> novel in German, despite the fact that my last German
>> teacher turned out to be a SF-fan (I was allowed to
>> write a paper about the 'New Wave' to increase my
>> marks, though).

> The only SF I could find in Germany in the 60s were
> translations. I first read "The Puppet Masters" in
> German. Even today, there's very little that's any good.

Such diplomacy!

Possibly I’ve been fortunate, but I’ve read some in the
last few years that I quite enjoyed, including (but not
limited to) some of Dirk’s.

leif...@dimnakorr.com

Jun 25, 2015, 2:45:24 AM6/25/15
William December Starr <wds...@panix.com> wrote:

> What I'd like to know is if the movie addresses in way the question
> of how the Hammond Corporation or whatever it's called managed to
> get international permission to re-open the park after that
> "dinosaurs romping around in San Diego" incident in, um, the second
> movie, I think it was. And by "permission to re-open the park" I
> mean, "not have their island nuked out of existence."

I haven't seen the movie myself, but according to reviews it goes the
Highlander route and ignores the earlier sequels and proceeds from
the first movie only.

--
Leif Roar Moldskred

Quadibloc

Jun 25, 2015, 4:13:21 AM6/25/15
On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 9:17:07 PM UTC-6, Robert Bannister wrote:

> The only SF I could find in Germany in the 60s were translations. I
> first read "The Puppet Masters" in German. Even today, there's very
> little that's any good.

I'm sorry to hear that. I had read that the German-language dubbing of Star Trek
was done badly, and elsewhere I have heard that Perry Rhodan dominated the German
SF scene, so this isn't surprising, sadly.

John Savard

Quadibloc

Jun 25, 2015, 4:15:41 AM6/25/15
On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 12:45:24 AM UTC-6, leif...@dimnakorr.com wrote:

> I haven't seen the movie myself, but according to reviews it goes the
> Highlander route and ignores the earlier sequels and proceeds from
> the first movie only.

This points to a need to add a word like "semi-reboot" to the language.

John Savard

Quadibloc

Jun 25, 2015, 4:19:11 AM6/25/15
On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 6:02:42 AM UTC-6, Anthony Nance wrote:
> Lynn McGuire <l...@winsim.com> wrote:

> > But, my girlfriend and I were reading Playboys over at her house in 7th grade
> > so none of this was new.

> "reading", you say? :)

The book "Profiles of the Future" bu Arthur C. Clarke originally appeared as a
series of articles in Playboy.

John Savard

Brian M. Scott

Jun 25, 2015, 4:34:20 AM6/25/15
On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 01:13:19 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
<jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote
in<news:a9fa3abd-a48b-414e...@googlegroups.com>
in rec.arts.sf.written:
And you didn’t learn anything from the last time you made
this mistake.

Anthony Nance

Jun 25, 2015, 8:07:57 AM6/25/15
Ahasuerus <ahas...@email.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 7:42:47 AM UTC-4, Anthony Nance wrote:
>> art...@yahoo.com <art...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > Alas Babylon by Pat Frank.
>> >
>> > Does Animal Farm count?
>>
>> I'd say yes. Just by coincidence, I started reading it last night.
>
> It's not as impactful as _1984_ and it's more closely tied to then-
> recent history (Trotsky, Stalin, the show trials, etc), but it's a
> decent read even if you are not familiar with early 20th century
> history.

Agreed. The edition I have came with both a foreword and an
introduction, by two different people. Together they provided
a lot of context, both directly (Trotsky, Stalin, etc.) and
indirectly (some of Orwell's experiences and circumstances
which influenced Animal Farm). Some of it was new to me and
helpful for my reading of the book, and I think it would be
particularly valuable for a younger reader.

Tony

Anthony Nance

Jun 25, 2015, 8:20:36 AM6/25/15
Ahasuerus <ahas...@email.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 8:20:57 AM UTC-4, Anthony Nance wrote:
>> Running into a few summer reading lists and school assignment
>> lists, I was surprised to realize how many SF longer works we
>> were collectively assigned[1] during my time in high school:
>>
>> 1984, The Hobbit, The Andromeda Strain, Frankenstein,
>> A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court,
>> Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, Flowers For Algernon [snip]
>
> Pretty good choices overall with the following caveats:
>
> 1. _The Hobbit_ may have been a better choice in junior high school.
>
> 2. _Brave New World_ is a good novel to be familiar with, but the
> writing shows it age.
>
> 3. _The Andromeda Strain_ is not a great novel, but, like some other
> "borderline SF" bestsellers, it may work as a gateway drug.

I agree, and I think it meshes well with something you mentioned
in the Hugo thread - something to the effect that the Hugo winners
may work better for readers who have been less exposed to SF.

There are distinct differences between first/early and good/best,
including that one's standards for the latter are partly shaped by
the former. Also, the former can be more visceral/memorable because
the ideas themselves are so new, independent of how well they were
presented by the author.

Tony

Anthony Nance

Jun 25, 2015, 8:30:00 AM6/25/15
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ahasuerus <ahas...@email.com> wrote in
>
>> 3. _The Andromeda Strain_ is not a great novel, but, like some
>> other "borderline SF" bestsellers, it may work as a gateway
>> drug.
>
> There was a movie version of it. There was even a passing resemblance
> between them, though not more than that, as I recall.

Neither here nor there, but here's an odd something I'll never
figure out: While we were reading The Andromeda Strain, they
showed us a movie version of The Terminal Man. There wasn't a
copy of TTM in the whole building, and we never saw a movie
of TAS.[1]

Go figure,
Tony
[1] Actual Hollywood movies were rarities - I think TTM
was one of the two we were shown in classes. The
other was The Great Gatsby, with Redford and Farrow.

leif...@dimnakorr.com

Jun 25, 2015, 8:45:02 AM6/25/15
Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

> This points to a need to add a word like "semi-reboot" to the language.

"Savepointing."

--
Leif roar Moldskred

Dirk van den Boom

Jun 25, 2015, 10:06:13 AM6/25/15
Am 24.06.2015 um 22:31 schrieb Kevrob:

> If you got out of line in class, would Herr Doktor Professor threaten to make you read the complete Perry Rhodan?

There was no need to threaten me, I was a big Perry-fan from 12 and read
the series until the age of 35. PR was mentioned in a textbook as an
example of horrific and violence-adoring writing and I took an
opportunity to blast that textbook in front on my - quite leftist -
teacher at that time (not the SF-fan, another one). Wasn't my best idea,
but still, I did it.

--
www.sf-boom-blog.de

Dirk van den Boom

Jun 25, 2015, 10:06:57 AM6/25/15
Am 25.06.2015 um 05:17 schrieb Robert Bannister:

> The only SF I could find in Germany in the 60s were translations. I
> first read "The Puppet Masters" in German. Even today, there's very
> little that's any good.

You should try the current novels by Andreas Brandthorst. I found them
to be quite enjoyable.

--
www.sf-boom-blog.de

Dirk van den Boom

Jun 25, 2015, 10:07:28 AM6/25/15
Am 25.06.2015 um 10:34 schrieb Brian M. Scott:

> And you didn’t learn anything from the last time you made
> this mistake.

Obviously.

*sigh*

--
www.sf-boom-blog.de

pete...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2015, 10:51:50 AM6/25/15
On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 11:10:46 PM UTC-4, David DeLaney wrote:
> On 2015-06-24, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> In 7th grade you're supposed to be trying out the poses, not reading them.
> >
> > Er, no, you're not even in high school yet at that point.
>
> But you're out of elementary school in the States; it's usually called 'junior
> high' here. And kids are 12-13 at that point ... not actually too young to
> be getting into compromising positions, as it were, if the parents don't have
> a 'keep the door open' policy or the like for study dates.

It varies --- Where I live, 'junior high' is called 'middle school' There's
a 3 stage system; Kindergarten starts at age 5, and Kindergarten and grades 1-4
are 'primary school', 5-8 in 'middle school' or 'junior high', and 9-12 in
'high school', finished with 18 year olds getting their high school diplomas.

In Britain in the 70s, iirc, there was a 2 stage system, with people
transitioning at age 12-13. I did notice that this fairly reasonably
separated kids who were pre and post pubescent, but I don't know if
that was on purpose.

pt

pete...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2015, 10:56:10 AM6/25/15
'Animal Farm' could really use the 'Annotated Alice' treatment.
Pretty much every named character is a direct reference to a
specific Soviet revolutionary or institution, and the story's
arc closely parallels events in the USSR.

pt

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 25, 2015, 12:00:03 PM6/25/15
In article <e7f8f172-a9aa-4942...@googlegroups.com>,
Yup. It's an allegory, and like, say, Dante's _Commedia,_ it
needs copious notes to explain who those people were and why
they're in the story.

William December Starr

Jun 25, 2015, 1:08:34 PM6/25/15
In article <mmfc37$pn3$1...@panix2.panix.com>,
wds...@panix.com (William December Starr) said:

> Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> said:
>
>> I thought ["Jurassic World"] was a complete reboot?
>
> I read a review which said otherwise, thoughof course I can't
> track it down now even though I just read it this morning, aargh.

Addendum: found it. It was Mark Leeper's online review:

> rec.arts.movies.reviews (moderated) #41065
> From: "Mark R. Leeper" <mle...@optonline.net>
> Review: JURASSIC WORLD (2015)
> Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 17:48:34 -0400

-- wds

Ahasuerus

Jun 25, 2015, 2:37:04 PM6/25/15
Oh no, it's not that bad. The only important points are that Napoleon
is Stalin, Snowball is Trotsky, Frederick is Hitler and Old Major is
a cross between Marx and Lenin. Everyone else is a composite portrait.
Wikipedia claims that Squealer was based on Molotov, but it's not a
perfect fit.

The story is quite transparent and you don't need to know history
to tell what's going on. If you *do* know early 20th century history,
then _Animal Farm_ is a good example of how many Western socialists
perceived the Soviet regime in the 1920s-1940s.

pete...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2015, 3:52:54 PM6/25/15
Sure, you can understand the story, and notice the allegory with even
casual knowledge of the history of the Soviet Union. But this rabbit
hole actually goes very, very deep.

(most of this is taken from the Wikipedia article)

Add analogs for

Grigori Zinoviev,
Lev Kamenev
Nikolai Bukharin
Alexei Rykov.
Tsar Nicholas II and his queen
Churchill

there are also, as you say, characters which represent
groups....

The proles/party members
Stakhanovites
Russian Orthodox Church
NKVD/KGB

and events, including but not limited to:

1918 Bolshevik Revolution (duh)
1918 western invasions
1922 Treaty of Rapello
1927 Party Conference
1930s show trials
1930s purges, ditto
WW2
1943 Teheran Conference

Though finished in early 1944, it even includes
predictions of the unravelling of East/West
relations post-war.

There's scarcely a detail in the book which can't be
connected to a person, group, or event in the ussr's
history from 1918 to 1944.

pt

Greg Goss

Jun 25, 2015, 4:14:25 PM6/25/15
pete...@gmail.com wrote:

>> But you're out of elementary school in the States; it's usually called 'junior
>> high' here. And kids are 12-13 at that point ... not actually too young to
>> be getting into compromising positions, as it were, if the parents don't have
>> a 'keep the door open' policy or the like for study dates.
>
>It varies --- Where I live, 'junior high' is called 'middle school' There's
>a 3 stage system; Kindergarten starts at age 5, and Kindergarten and grades 1-4
>are 'primary school', 5-8 in 'middle school' or 'junior high', and 9-12 in
>'high school', finished with 18 year olds getting their high school diplomas.

Where I grew up, the cutoffs were flexible. The boundary between Jr
High and elementary could put Grade 7 (age 13) or even 6 into Jr High,
or into Elementary. Kay-three schools have popped up since then to
reduce the distance that very young kids have to walk, but don't have
a separate name for the school type other than listing the grades.

The boundary between Jr High and Sr High can put Grade ten on either
side of the field. (term reflects that RJSS and RSSS share the same
sports fields but that the new Sr High was built on the far side of
the fields. The Sr High was built when I was in Grade 9. 10&11 were
on the far side of the field in the half-finished school, but I moved
directly to the Sr High for grade 10. RSS was renamed RJSS after I
moved across.

(Schools are named something-or-other secondary school, but always
"high schools" in conversation. My parents refered to elementary
schools, absurdly, as "public schools", but that terminology reflected
their origins at the other end of my country - elementary schools
always got the four syllable term.

Junior High is never called "middle school" either where I am or where
I grew up.

My elementary school is now the heritage core feature in a condo
development.

William December Starr

Jun 25, 2015, 6:37:16 PM6/25/15
In article <cv35ot...@mid.individual.net>,
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> said:

> My elementary school is now the heritage core feature in a condo
> development.

Heh. *My* elementary school has had a much more interesting
post-life experience. See the references to Hillcrest Elementary
School in the tale of The Perfectly Good School District That Was
Eaten By A Pack Of Religious Assholes But Probably Not The Kind
You're Expecting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Ramapo_Central_School_District

-- wds

Ahasuerus

Jun 25, 2015, 6:42:41 PM6/25/15
One could speculate that, since:

1. there were seven full Politburo members after Lenin's death
(Stalin, Trotsky, Tomsky, Zinoviev, Kamenev, Rykov, Bukharin); and
2. the last four were executed after confessing their imaginary
crimes during the famous Moscow Trials (Tomsky had committed suicide
to escape arrest)

it's conceivable that the "four young porkers" who protested against
the abolition of Sunday-morning meetings and were later killed
by Napoleon's dogs are supposed to represent Zinoviev, Kamenev,
Rykov, and Bukharin.

However, that's a rather tenuous link. The porkers appear in just
three paragraphs and have no names or personalities of their own.
OTOH, there is a great deal in the book that specifically identifies
Snowball as Trotsky, Napoleon as Stalin, Frederick as Hitler and
describes their acts and relationships in considerable detail. The
rest of the animals represent social groups and psychological types.

> Tsar Nicholas II and his queen

Jones represents the "ancien regime" in general but not Nicholas II in
particular. Unlike Jones, Nicholas was not a drunkard and he didn't
"go to live in another part of the county" (where he died of alcohol
abuse) after the revolution.

> Churchill

Pilkington represents the West, but there is little to suggest he
is specifically Churchill.

[snip-snip]
> There's scarcely a detail in the book which can't be
> connected to a person, group, or event in the ussr's
> history from 1918 to 1944.

Groups and many events -- yes. Persons -- not so much as discussed
above.

Anyway, the interesting thing about _Animal Farm_ is not that it's
an accurate portrayal of the Bolshevik revolution and the Soviet
regime -- far from it -- but rather that it's an accurate
portrayal of the way they were perceived by many Western socialists.

Raymond Daley

Jun 25, 2015, 6:44:14 PM6/25/15

"William December Starr" <wds...@panix.com> wrote in message
> In article <XnsA4C39B91355...@69.16.179.43>,
> Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> said:
>
>> wds...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote
>>
>>> What I'd like to know is if the movie addresses in way the
>>> question of how the Hammond Corporation or whatever it's called
>>> managed to get international permission to re-open the park after
>>> that "dinosaurs romping around in San Diego" incident in, um, the
>>> second movie, I think it was. And by "permission to re-open the
>>> park" I mean, "not have their island nuked out of existence."
>>
>> I thought it was a complete reboot?
>
> ...so it looks to me like they're going for in-world continuity, and
> some reviewers/reporters/nattering nabobs of cinema are confusingly
> throwing the word "reboot" around when they should be saying "restart."

It's neither a reboot, nor is it a restart.
The original park (and spoilers) are featured. There's supposed to be a
massive suspension of disbelief how they got permission to even look at the
freaking island, let alone go and build a new effing park there.

The movie is terrible. I'm talking Ishtar levels of terrible. By all means,
watch it.

Raymond Daley

Jun 25, 2015, 6:47:36 PM6/25/15

"Moriarty" <blu...@ivillage.com> wrote in message
> On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 8:40:26 AM UTC+10, Raymond Daley wrote:
>> "Anthony Nance" <na...@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote in message
>> > Running into a few summer reading lists and school assignment
>> > lists, I was surprised to realize how many SF longer works we
>> > were collectively assigned[1] during my time in high school:
>>
>> What kind of awesome high school were you attending that gave you ANY SF
>> read?
>> Jeez, we got Shakespeare and Joe Egg.
>
> The Shakespeare we got was _A Midsummer Night's Dream_ and _The Tempest_,
> both of which qualify as SF.

Whilst The Tempest WAS revisioned as SF (Forbidden Planet), I don't class
any of Shakeys stuff as remotely SF.
I can't comment on AMND, I've never read it. When we read The Tempest, I
managed to survive. However, when we were given Romeo & Juliet I was somehow
killed twice as Mercutio and some faceless nobody who had 1 line.

Raymond Daley

Jun 25, 2015, 6:51:27 PM6/25/15

"Dorothy J Heydt" <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote in message
> In article <rlGix.967640$UV7.8...@fx27.am4>,
> Raymond Daley <raymon...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>"Anthony Nance" <na...@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote in message
>>> Running into a few summer reading lists and school assignment
>>> lists, I was surprised to realize how many SF longer works we
>>> were collectively assigned[1] during my time in high school:
>>
>>What kind of awesome high school were you attending that gave you ANY SF
>>read?
>>Jeez, we got Shakespeare and Joe Egg.
>>
>>I don't recall ever being given any SF to read for English as a subject.
>
> As mentioned above, me neither, but I had my revenge.
>
> As for Joe Egg, I had to google it. After my time, and on the
> other side of the pond.

It's got a long title. A Day in the Death of Joe Egg. Eddie Izzard did it on
stage once, it's on Youtube and well worth the watch. I saw a play version
too and it's tough to watch but seriously raises your intelligence level
after reading it or watching it.

art...@yahoo.com

Jun 25, 2015, 7:03:02 PM6/25/15
On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 3:52:54 PM UTC-4, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
Wow! This reminds me that I want to re-read Declare.
But perhaps I need to learn some Russian history first.

J. Clarke

Jun 25, 2015, 7:12:09 PM6/25/15
In article <%u%ix.776266$SO1.6...@fx43.am4>,
raymon...@ntlworld.com says...
What, you don't believe that Costa Rican government officials are
bribeable?

William December Starr

Jun 25, 2015, 7:22:45 PM6/25/15
"Raymond Daley" <raymon...@ntlworld.com> said:

> "William December Starr" <wds...@panix.com> wrote
>
>> ...so it looks to me like they're going for in-world continuity,
>> and some reviewers/reporters/nattering nabobs of cinema are
>> confusingly throwing the word "reboot" around when they should be
>> saying "restart."
>
> It's neither a reboot, nor is it a restart.
> The original park (and spoilers) are featured. There's supposed to
> be a massive suspension of disbelief how they got permission to
> even look at the freaking island, let alone go and build a new
> effing park there.

I meant a restart of the movie franchise, not a restart of the park
in-story. It's been 14 years since "Jurassic Park III" after all.

-- wds
It is loading more messages.