I'll send you a Mars-bar if you know who wrote this SF short and in what mag.

crutw...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2016, 6:08:03 AM8/12/16
History: circa 1955-60? Short Sci-Fi story. Don’t think Playboy, it was in Astounding et-alia?

Theme:
Man dies today; consciousness transfers to future; woman there makes Playman from recycled organs; Playman mentally create food at factory; travels by a ‘rolling-road;’ a ‘goad’ used to punish Playmen; if displeased woman may recycle Playman; Playman sleeps in bed with compartment at end for recycle purposes.

Ending: deliberately alluring.

Peter Trei

Aug 12, 2016, 10:45:43 AM8/12/16
I have this at home, but can't recall the title. I have it as a (slim)
paperback. He was creating bacon at one point, iirc. I may be able to find
the book.

Incredibly sexist by today's standards.

pt

crutw...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2016, 8:20:09 PM8/12/16
WOW!!! Thanks Peter! I would appreciate you finding it. Need author; title; publisher, OR would like to buy it or a copy if you collect. Been searching for a long time and only thought about this group from AuxiliaryMemory (James W Harris) recommendations. Not familiar with methodology here, how do we contact?? Many, many thanks again!!

Quadibloc

Aug 12, 2016, 9:42:29 PM8/12/16
Google Books is throwing up two possibles, but it is entirely possible neither one has anything to do with what you're looking for.

City at the End of Time
Greg Bear

and

We Live in Water
Jess Walter

- this is an anthology of short stories, so one of the stories in there might be the one.

John Savard

Quadibloc

Aug 12, 2016, 9:47:38 PM8/12/16
Neither of these is even remotely what you are looking for. Sorry.

John Savard

crutw...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2016, 9:56:53 PM8/12/16
Thanks John. Peter has a copy.

Cryptoengineer

Aug 12, 2016, 10:24:23 PM8/12/16
crutw...@gmail.com wrote in
Don't thank me yet.
I first quick scan of 'where I thought it was' came up dry. Now I have to
look through the SBR, which will take a while, and I may still not find
it. If I do, I'll let you know.

pt

Robert Carnegie

Aug 13, 2016, 4:29:30 AM8/13/16
I had a fruitless but not exactly unpleasant search for
the words "deliberately alluring". It would have been
unpleasant if the boss caught me. But it's Saturday.

I'm not sure how to include the full stop. But then
you didn't say it is a full stop. (If there's no way
for us to search for punctuation, then it probably
isn't worth clarifying.)

ATC

Aug 26, 2016, 4:01:51 AM8/26/16
> Don't thank me yet.
> I first quick scan of 'where I thought it was' came up dry. Now I have to
> look through the SBR, which will take a while, and I may still not find
> it. If I do, I'll let you know.
>
> pt

Thanks for the bacon-bit, pt, I remembered it. Had another comment:

"Male cadavers were recycled from ancient graves, restored in a thought-controlled machine into mindless servants? Except in this case, the operator has gotten drunk and is looking for some lovin'?
The women all wear pink unitards? He escapes his "creator", finds another younger woman who is seduced by his manly know-how. He creates bacon with the miracle machine, along with tools and supplies, and they escape into the ancient wilderness to start anew?"

It’s either a prequel or a derivative of the theme. I need to establish if the “Playman” theme is Public Domain or contact author for copyright reasons.

Peter Trei

Aug 26, 2016, 8:36:38 AM8/26/16
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 4:01:51 AM UTC-4, ATC wrote:
> > Don't thank me yet.
> > I first quick scan of 'where I thought it was' came up dry. Now I have to
> > look through the SBR, which will take a while, and I may still not find
> > it. If I do, I'll let you know.
> >
> > pt
>
> Thanks for the bacon-bit, pt, I remembered it. Had another comment:
>
> "Male cadavers were recycled from ancient graves, restored in a thought-controlled machine into mindless servants? Except in this case, the operator has gotten drunk and is looking for some lovin'?
> The women all wear pink unitards? He escapes his "creator", finds another younger woman who is seduced by his manly know-how. He creates bacon with the miracle machine, along with tools and supplies, and they escape into the ancient wilderness to start anew?"

These details match my memory of the parts I read; it was bad enough that I
didn't feel compelled to finish it. I'm sorry, but I still haven't located
the book, though I'm keeping an eye out for it.

> It’s either a prequel or a derivative of the theme. I need to establish if the “Playman” theme is Public Domain or contact author for copyright reasons.

pt

ATC

Aug 26, 2016, 8:28:49 PM8/26/16
Thanks pt. I have memories of page-layouts with hand-drawn images but my mind never brings-out the text. The 'pink-unitard' theme isn't the theme I seek.

Quadibloc

Aug 28, 2016, 8:22:39 AM8/28/16
"Journey to Wudang" comes up from searching Google Books, but that is almost
certainly not it.

John Savard

ATC

Aug 28, 2016, 7:31:47 PM8/28/16
Thanks JS. I thought I found it, "Waste not, want not - John Atherton." This sort-of equates to "recycle" but found a review that confirmed it wasn't. Interestingly Atherton is also difficult to find. The ISFDB has almost zero data on him. It seems like one of those published yet Orphan Works where proven extensive searching can alleviate Copyright, until the author arrives, then depending on the dosh involved things get dodgy.

ATC

ATC

Sep 2, 2016, 7:05:51 AM9/2/16
Been researching thru Galaxy hoping? < https://archive.org/details/galaxymagazine-1958-02 > Very nostalgic and interesting to early Sci-Fi stories.

ATC

ATC

Sep 6, 2016, 2:21:15 AM9/6/16
It's interesting to consider how this theme came about it seems quite unique.

The concept of 'rolling-road' seems to have been taken from Heinlein, 'The roads must roll,' 1940 and moving roads used quite extensively prior to that era of Sci-Fi and now defunct.

Organ recycling seems satirical since this is quite modern.

Controlling people by punishment is very old but the 'goad' was one way. (Can't remember if the Playman had a head-implant?)

Thought creation of sustenance is still futuristic but many ideas use this in an indirect way. (Robby the robot?) Also a physical computer MUI (Mental-UI) is possible and via remote sensing of brain-activity, perhaps.

Consciousness transposing to the future and between bodies exists in several Sci-Fi stories.

Wrapping these together into a sexual theme, especially with dominant women, seems also satirical (it was loosely a love-story) and maybe this could have been aimed at Playboy plus the use of 'Playman.' (Can't find in their Archives.)

The search continues. Hopefully it's Public Domain?

ATC

ATC

Oct 9, 2016, 10:00:34 PM10/9/16
Had replies from a couple of the greats from that era with no luck. Feel quite honoured they answered the query. Search continuing.

ATC

Cryptoengineer

Oct 9, 2016, 10:10:28 PM10/9/16
ATC <crutw...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Had replies from a couple of the greats from that era with no luck.
> Feel quite honoured they answered the query. Search continuing.

I'm keeping my eye out for the book.

pt

ATC

Nov 11, 2016, 12:45:59 AM11/11/16
On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 12:24:23 PM UTC+10, Cryptoengineer wrote:
> Don't thank me yet.
> I first quick scan of 'where I thought it was' came up dry. Now I have to
> look through the SBR, which will take a while, and I may still not find
> it. If I do, I'll let you know.
>
> pt

Hello pt, what's the "SBR?" Should've asked before! :-(

ATC

Don Bruder

Nov 11, 2016, 1:27:14 AM11/11/16
In article <31a5e60c-f44d-4e99...@googlegroups.com>,
I'm betting on "Secondary Book Repository/Rack/Room" or a very similar
concept...

--
Brought to you by the letter K and the number .357
Security provided by Horace S. & Dan W.

The Starmaker

Nov 11, 2016, 2:07:23 AM11/11/16
It must be some secret messages... who knows wit dese crypto guys.

wat does pt stand for?

Juho Julkunen

Nov 11, 2016, 7:38:58 AM11/11/16
In article <o03ob0$o5i$1...@dont-email.me>, dak...@sonic.net says...

> In article <31a5e60c-f44d-4e99...@googlegroups.com>,
> ATC <crutw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 12:24:23 PM UTC+10, Cryptoengineer wrote:
> > > Don't thank me yet.
> > > I first quick scan of 'where I thought it was' came up dry. Now I have to
> > > look through the SBR, which will take a while, and I may still not find
> > > it. If I do, I'll let you know.
> > >
> > > pt
> >
> > Hello pt, what's the "SBR?" Should've asked before! :-(
> >
> > ATC
>
> I'm betting on "Secondary Book Repository/Rack/Room" or a very similar
> concept...

I'm thinking Strategic Book Reserve.

--
Juho Julkunen

Cryptoengineer

Nov 11, 2016, 10:17:34 AM11/11/16
Juho Julkunen <giao...@hotmail.com> wrote in
Bingo

pt

The Starmaker

Nov 11, 2016, 12:17:53 PM11/11/16
I think i got it..

There was a farmer who had a dog..

ATC

Nov 13, 2016, 2:56:44 AM11/13/16
On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 4:17:53 AM UTC+11, The Starmaker wrote:

> I think i got it..
>

> There was a farmer who had a dog..

Thanks TS, tried Philip José Farmer as he wrote futuristic sexual dystopia but not him. Unsure @ the dog-bit? The women in the plot weren't dogs, quite the opposite - had nungas to 'die-for?' SBR? Still looking.

ATC

ATC

Nov 24, 2016, 9:03:00 PM11/24/16
As a Black Friday special I'll update a mars-bar reward to 12 of 'em, full-size ( http://tinyurl.com/zasuqxn ) for info as per my first post. (Mars bars in USA almost as hard to find!)

ATC

The Starmaker

Nov 26, 2016, 2:47:26 AM11/26/16
ATC wrote:

> As a Black Friday special I'll update a mars-bar reward to 12 of 'em, full-size ( http://tinyurl.com/zasuqxn ) for info as per my first post. (Mars bars in USA
>
> ATC

It's kind of strange you wanna make a movie but you don't know the
story...

ATC

Nov 27, 2016, 2:05:55 AM11/27/16
PMSL! I have my story/script but the Plot derives from a memory within a published 50's pulp so it could be plagiarism without permission to do so or confirm Public Domain. Cameron was sued quite a lot of times for Avatar. Ideas aren't copyright but formalising in hardcopy is. My first post outlines the basic plot (copyright) but my story expands and evolves this to a completely new level that is still a derivative work.

ATC

Robert Carnegie

Nov 27, 2016, 8:37:49 AM11/27/16
You probably know the rules better than I do.
But it may be necessary to warn you not to take
the poster called Starmaker seriously.

The Starmaker

Nov 27, 2016, 4:05:27 PM11/27/16
ATC wrote:

> On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 6:47:26 PM UTC+11, The Starmaker wrote:
> > ATC wrote:
> > >
> > > As a Black Friday special I'll update a mars-bar reward to 12 of 'em, full-size ( http://tinyurl.com/zasuqxn ) for info as per my first post. (Mars bars in
> > >
> > > ATC
> >

> > It's kind of strange you wanna make a movie but you don't know the
> > story...
>
> PMSL! I have my story/script but the Plot derives from a memory within a published 50's pulp so it could be plagiarism without permission to do so or confirm Public Domain. Cameron was sued quite a lot of times for Avatar. Ideas aren't copyright but formalising in hardcopy is. My first post outlines the basic plot (copyright) but my story expands and evolves this to a completely new level that is still a derivative work.
>
> ATC

What I mean is...it is strange to me that you want to make a movie based on a story you don't know
the title
the author
or even posses a copy of the origial in *any* format.

That is strange to me...sounds like something is wrong but I cannot put my finger on it.

In other words, for you to put your time and effort and Life into a script that you don't know the story's
author or even the title of it...sounds..STRANGE.

Then...you have a poster who says he has a copy of it but cannot find it! He doesn't remember the title, the author or the
title cover or picture cover of the published 50's pulp publication!!

But he remembers the story...

It's just sounds toooo strange...

In other words, in the real world of making movies..they have the title, author, publication but NOT the script.

And abour copywrite infringement, I know all about it...
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/alt.acting/1220glkkSOE/1BRCbjyVYPkJ

The Starmaker

Nov 27, 2016, 4:11:25 PM11/27/16
The Starmaker wrote:

> ATC wrote:

> > > It's kind of strange you wanna make a movie but you don't know the
> > > story...
> >
> > PMSL! I have my story/script but the Plot derives from a memory within a published 50's pulp so it could be plagiarism without permission to do so or confirm Public Domain. Cameron was sued quite a lot of times for Avatar. Ideas aren't copyright but formalising in hardcopy is. My first post outlines the basic plot (copyright) but my story expands and evolves this to a completely new level that is still a derivative work.
> >
> > ATC
>
> What I mean is...it is strange to me that you want to make a movie based on a story you don't know
> the title
> the author
> or even posses a copy of the origial in *any* format.
>
> That is strange to me...sounds like something is wrong but I cannot put my finger on it.
>
> In other words, for you to put your time and effort and Life into a script that you don't know the story's
> author or even the title of it...sounds..STRANGE.
>
> Then...you have a poster who says he has a copy of it but cannot find it! He doesn't remember the title, the author or the
> title cover or picture cover of the published 50's pulp publication!!
>
> But he remembers the story...
>
> It's just sounds toooo strange...
>
> In other words, in the real world of making movies..they have the title, author, publication but NOT the script.
>
> And abour copywrite infringement, I know all about it...
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/alt.acting/1220glkkSOE/1BRCbjyVYPkJ

i know all about it..
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/alt.acting/1220glkkSOE/C6mnB-gA1QkJ

That's why...it's Strange.

The Starmaker

Nov 27, 2016, 5:37:39 PM11/27/16
The Starmaker wrote:

> ATC wrote:

> > > It's kind of strange you wanna make a movie but you don't know the
> > > story...
> >
> > PMSL! I have my story/script but the Plot derives from a memory within a published 50's pulp so it could be plagiarism without permission to do so or confirm Public Domain. Cameron was sued quite a lot of times for Avatar. Ideas aren't copyright but formalising in hardcopy is. My first post outlines the basic plot (copyright) but my story expands and evolves this to a completely new level that is still a derivative work.
> >
> > ATC
>
> What I mean is...it is strange to me that you want to make a movie based on a story you don't know
> the title
> the author
> or even posses a copy of the origial in *any* format.
>
> That is strange to me...sounds like something is wrong but I cannot put my finger on it.
>
> In other words, for you to put your time and effort and Life into a script that you don't know the story's
> author or even the title of it...sounds..STRANGE.
>
> Then...you have a poster who says he has a copy of it but cannot find it! He doesn't remember the title, the author or the
> title cover or picture cover of the published 50's pulp publication!!
>
> But he remembers the story...
>
> It's just sounds toooo strange...
>
> In other words, in the real world of making movies..they have the title, author, publication but NOT the script.
>
> And abour copywrite infringement, I know all about it...
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/alt.acting/1220glkkSOE/1BRCbjyVYPkJ

In other words, I don't think you did your home work enough..

Mars-bars is not enough..

Did you search through published 50's pulp?

Like here for example?
https://archive.org/details/pulpmagazinearchive

https://archive.org/details/pulpmagazinearchive?and[]=subject%3A%22science+fiction%22

Here you can do a "Search full text of books"
https://archive.org/search.php?query=mediatype:texts&sort=-publicdate

It has to be there somewhere...did you bother to look????

ATC

Nov 30, 2016, 7:03:14 AM11/30/16
On Monday, November 28, 2016 at 9:37:39 AM UTC+11, The Starmaker wrote:
> The Starmaker wrote:
> >
> > ATC wrote:

> > > PMSL! I have my story/script but the Plot derives from a memory within a published 50's pulp so it could be plagiarism without permission to do so or confirm Public Domain. Cameron was sued quite a lot of times for Avatar. Ideas aren't copyright but formalising in hardcopy is. My first post outlines the basic plot (copyright) but my story expands and evolves this to a completely new level that is still a derivative work.
> > >
> > > ATC
> >
> > What I mean is...it is strange to me that you want to make a movie based on a story you don't know
> > the title
> > the author
> > or even posses a copy of the origial in *any* format.
> >
> > That is strange to me...sounds like something is wrong but I cannot put my finger on it.
> >
> > In other words, for you to put your time and effort and Life into a script that you don't know the story's
> > author or even the title of it...sounds..STRANGE.

Sounds strange, son? (Yes I is an ole fart!) My memory of the original stuck thru many years & when out of work I decided to try scriptwriting on a typewriter. This story just came out from within based on just a memory.

> > Then...you have a poster who says he has a copy of it but cannot find it! He doesn't remember the title, the author or the
> > title cover or picture cover of the published 50's pulp publication!!
> >
> > But he remembers the story...
> >
> > It's just sounds toooo strange...
> >
> > In other words, in the real world of making movies..they have the title, author, publication but NOT the script.

Over the years my title changed due to advice from Producers I submitted it to, I wrote the thing and search in the real world for what you intimate.

> > And abour copywrite infringement, I know all about it...
> > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/alt.acting/1220glkkSOE/1BRCbjyVYPkJ

Nice link! What I am being too honest about, perhaps, to avoid? Copyright a minefield, pitching provides no-takers?

> In other words, I don't think you did your home work enough..

Agreed. Been searching since 1985, got replies from many Sci-fi blokes who are now dead, but I'll find it!

> Mars-bars is not enough..

OK, guess you know the source, divulge & you can view script, suggest changes and if it gets produced, a partner?

> Did you search through published 50's pulp?
>
> Like here for example?
> https://archive.org/details/pulpmagazinearchive

Been there, very laborious, no-find.

> https://archive.org/details/pulpmagazinearchive?and[]=subject%3A%22science+fiction%22

Ditto, as ghost said.

> Here you can do a "Search full text of books"
> https://archive.org/search.php?query=mediatype:texts&sort=-publicdate

Will try this, ta!

> It has to be there somewhere...did you bother to look????

Not yet, will labour thru.

Cynical bugger, ain't you? But I like it! :-))

ATC

ATC

Jan 13, 2017, 11:26:43 PM1/13/17
On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 8:08:03 PM UTC+10, ATC wrote:
> History: circa 1955-60? Short Sci-Fi story. Don’t think Playboy, it was in Astounding et-alia?
>
> Theme:
> Man dies today; consciousness transfers to future; woman there makes Playman from recycled organs; Playman mentally create food at factory; travels by a ‘rolling-road;’ a ‘goad’ used to punish Playmen; if displeased woman may recycle Playman; Playman sleeps in bed with compartment at end for recycle purposes.
>
> Ending: deliberately alluring.

Bump. Happy New Year.

.

Mar 20, 2017, 4:50:51 AM3/20/17
hopeful bump?

Dimensional Traveler

Mar 20, 2017, 10:57:30 AM3/20/17
We demand proof of life for the Mars bar.

--
Running the rec.arts.TV Channels Watched Survey.
Winter 2016 survey began Dec 01 and will end Feb 28

.

Mar 21, 2017, 9:33:35 AM3/21/17

.

Mar 22, 2017, 6:12:38 AM3/22/17

Peter Trei

May 29, 2017, 12:26:05 PM5/29/17
On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 6:08:03 AM UTC-4, . wrote:
> History: circa 1955-60? Short Sci-Fi story. Don’t think Playboy, it was in Astounding et-alia?
>
> Theme:
> Man dies today; consciousness transfers to future; woman there makes Playman from recycled organs; Playman mentally create food at factory; travels by a ‘rolling-road;’ a ‘goad’ used to punish Playmen; if displeased woman may recycle Playman; Playman sleeps in bed with compartment at end for recycle purposes.
>
> Ending: deliberately alluring.

9 months on, I finally found it, during Spring Cleaning.

"Resurrection Days" by Wilson Tucker.
Timescape, 1981

pt

Kevrob

May 30, 2017, 12:18:56 PM5/30/17
In the USA, that's a Milky Way Bar. The other Milky Way is a
3 Musketeers Bar, here.

Kevin R

Peter Trei

May 30, 2017, 12:46:11 PM5/30/17
I loved Mars Bars when I was growing up in England. However, I've lost
much of my sweet tooth since, and could probably make one last a day or
two now.

The date on the story is interesting. It certainly reads like something
written 20+ years earlier. The protagonist dies in 1943 and is reborn in a
matriarchal future dystopia. Hijinks ensue.

In 1961 it could have been written non-ironically. But not in 1981, and not
by this author.

At this point, knowing it was published in 1981, I have to think that
Wilson "Bob" Tucker knew exactly what he was doing, putting a pre-liberation
MCP up against a women's State.

pt

Lynn McGuire

May 30, 2017, 1:03:51 PM5/30/17
I would love to lose my sweet cravings. Babe Ruth bite size bars and
Reese's peanut butter cups are my bane.

Lynn