Pick one Heinlein

Louann Miller

Apr 22, 2014, 11:17:19 AM4/22/14
Yes, I'm making trouble today. The question is, supposing yourself to be a
reader and re-reader of Heinlein's works, what if you had to limit yourself
to *one* work for the rest of your Heinlein re-reading life?

I think I'd go for "Citizen of the Galaxy," honestly. It's fun.

Louann

a425couple

Apr 22, 2014, 11:53:03 AM4/22/14
"Louann Miller" <loua...@yahoo.com> wrote in message...
I understand "Citizen of the Galaxy" has appeal,
but before that one,
I'd pick "Starship Troopers",
next one down, "Glory Road",
then "The Star Beast".

Greg Goss

Apr 22, 2014, 12:05:40 PM4/22/14
Citizen or Moon. My opinion shifts back and forth over time.

Scott Lurndal

Apr 22, 2014, 12:08:17 PM4/22/14
_Double Star_ for me (athough moon is a close second).

Dorothy J Heydt

Apr 22, 2014, 1:08:04 PM4/22/14
In article <DoOdnSVleoZiGsvO...@giganews.com>,
Louann Miller <loua...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Yes, I'm making trouble today. The question is, supposing yourself to be a
>reader and re-reader of Heinlein's works, what if you had to limit yourself
>to *one* work for the rest of your Heinlein re-reading life?

_The Star Beast._

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Will in New Haven

Apr 22, 2014, 1:21:16 PM4/22/14
Probably the collection "Green Hills of Earth," although Citizen and Moon are also appealing.

--
Will in New Haven

James Nicoll

Apr 22, 2014, 1:40:32 PM4/22/14
In article <DoOdnSVleoZiGsvO...@giganews.com>,
Louann Miller <loua...@yahoo.com> wrote:
THE PAST THROUGH TOMORROW. Although I wish they'd found room for Orphans
of the Sky in there.

--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
http://www.cafepress.com/jdnicoll (For all your "The problem with

Kurt Busiek

Apr 22, 2014, 1:52:33 PM4/22/14
On 2014-04-22 16:05:40 +0000, Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> said:

> Louann Miller <loua...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I'm making trouble today. The question is, supposing yourself to be a
>> reader and re-reader of Heinlein's works, what if you had to limit yourself
>> to *one* work for the rest of your Heinlein re-reading life?
>>
>> I think I'd go for "Citizen of the Galaxy," honestly. It's fun.
>
> Citizen or Moon. My opinion shifts back and forth over time.

On the one hand, I'd concur with this...

...but on the other, what self-respecting Heinlein rereader would stand
for such a limitation? To hell with such pointless interference and
control! Down with autocrats, martinets and tangelos!

kdb
--
Visit http://www.busiek.com -- for all your Busiek needs!

Walter Bushell

Apr 22, 2014, 2:23:16 PM4/22/14
In article <DoOdnSVleoZiGsvO...@giganews.com>,
Louann Miller <loua...@yahoo.com> wrote:

"Stranger"

--
Never attribute to stupidity that which can be explained by greed. Me.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Apr 22, 2014, 2:31:45 PM4/22/14
Tangelos? Really?

--
I'm serializing a new Ethshar novel!
The twenty-first chapter is online at:

Kurt Busiek

Apr 22, 2014, 3:15:56 PM4/22/14
On 2014-04-22 18:31:45 +0000, Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> said:

> On 2014-04-22 13:52:33 -0400, Kurt Busiek said:

>>> Citizen or Moon. My opinion shifts back and forth over time.
>>
>> On the one hand, I'd concur with this...
>>
>> ...but on the other, what self-respecting Heinlein rereader would stand
>> for such a limitation? To hell with such pointless interference and
>> control! Down with autocrats, martinets and tangelos!
>
> Tangelos? Really?

For fans of later-period Heinlein, replace that with "pantaloons."

Lynn McGuire

Apr 22, 2014, 3:16:34 PM4/22/14
On 4/22/2014 11:05 AM, Greg Goss wrote:
> Louann Miller <loua...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I'm making trouble today. The question is, supposing yourself to be a
>> reader and re-reader of Heinlein's works, what if you had to limit yourself
>> to *one* work for the rest of your Heinlein re-reading life?
>>
>> I think I'd go for "Citizen of the Galaxy," honestly. It's fun.
>
> Citizen or Moon. My opinion shifts back and forth over time.

+1. COTG on most days though. And TSB
occasionally.

Lynn

D.F. Manno

Apr 22, 2014, 3:36:58 PM4/22/14
In article <DoOdnSVleoZiGsvO...@giganews.com>,
Louann Miller <loua...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yes, I'm making trouble today. The question is, supposing yourself to be a
> reader and re-reader of Heinlein's works, what if you had to limit yourself
> to *one* work for the rest of your Heinlein re-reading life?

I suppose this:

<http://www.virginiaedition.com/purchase/>

... would be cheating.

--
D.F. Manno | dfm...@mail.com
GOP delenda est!

Jerry Brown

Apr 22, 2014, 3:42:00 PM4/22/14
On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 10:17:19 -0500, Louann Miller <loua...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Have Space Suit, Will Travel

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

Chris Buckley

Apr 22, 2014, 3:56:45 PM4/22/14
I think I'd vote for _Double Star_ . I view _The Past Through Tomorrow_
as cheating a bit, otherwise it would be up there. I wouldn't argue
against those folks voting for either _Citizen of the Galaxy_ or
_The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_ (or even _Starship Troopers_ for that
matter, even though I haven't seen it mentioned)

Chris

a425couple

Apr 22, 2014, 4:31:20 PM4/22/14
"MajorOz" wrote in message...
> "Louann Miller" <loua...@yahoo.com> wrote in message...
>> Yes, I'm making trouble today. The question is, supposing yourself to be
>> reader and re-reader of Heinlein's works, what if you had to limit
>> yourself
>> to *one* work for the rest of your Heinlein re-reading life?
>
> What a mean, nasty challenge....
> I don't WANNA be limited.

Agreed.

> But....if so:
> Gotta be Moon...

You, and a number of others, said "Moon".
Am I correct in guessing you (all) mean "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" ?
(Rather than "The Man Who Sold the Moon", "Destination Moon"
or "Nothing Ever Happens on the Moon" ?)

> ...or Starship Troopers...
> ...no, wait....Time Enough for Love...
> Damn....
> oz, feeling like I'm in a Python sketch....

Good one.

art...@yahoo.com

Apr 22, 2014, 4:50:39 PM4/22/14
On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:17:19 AM UTC-4, loua...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Yes, I'm making trouble today. The question is, supposing yourself to be a
> reader and re-reader of Heinlein's works, what if you had to limit yourself
to *one* work for the rest of your Heinlein re-reading life?
By His Bootstraps

Of course, I could never actually finish it....

Stephen Graham

Apr 22, 2014, 4:51:03 PM4/22/14
My shortlist would be:

Double Star
Stranger in a Strange Land (the edited version)
Citizen of the Galaxy

But what I'd probably wind up with would be

Glory Road

It has a little more fun than many other Heinlein novels, and I'd rather
have that.

Gene Wirchenko

Apr 22, 2014, 5:32:17 PM4/22/14
On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 10:17:19 -0500, Louann Miller <loua...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

I would have to do a lot of rereading to be sure, but more or
less off the cuff, I would go with "Friday".

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

a425couple

Apr 22, 2014, 6:42:41 PM4/22/14
"Stephen Graham" <gra...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message...
Yes, just a rollicking good adventure story.
Plus Oscar's way of viewing the things fate hands him
is very reminiscent of the way I'd always viewed my
youthful side trip through Southeast Asia.
Hey! it was a fully funded all inclusive tour by
Uncle Sam's Misguided Children!

Jacey Bedford

Apr 22, 2014, 8:40:58 PM4/22/14
I'd settle for Citizen of the Galaxy but Tunnel in the Sky is also fun.
I might, however, have to go for Stranger in a Strange Land, though it's
a long time since I read it, so I'm hoping it still stands up.

--
jaceyb...@nospam.btinternet.com
Remove the obvious to contact me direct.

My new book is due from DAW on 4th November 2014.
Empire of Dust, A Psi-tech Novel
by Jacey Bedford

---

Tim McDaniel

Apr 22, 2014, 11:07:38 PM4/22/14
In article <DoOdnSVleoZiGsvO...@giganews.com>,
Louann Miller <loua...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I think I'd go for "Citizen of the Galaxy," honestly. It's fun.

"Fun" is not one of the adjectives I would have applied to _Citizen of
the Galaxy_. Not when the protagonist once wakes up from a nightmare
where he's about to be flogged by his quondam guardians, and he know
what flogging is like (see his back).

If you forced me at blaster point to choose, I'd go for either
_Citizen of the Galaxy_
or
_Double Star_

--
Tim McDaniel, tm...@panix.com

Greg Goss

Apr 23, 2014, 2:42:10 AM4/23/14
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:

>In article <DoOdnSVleoZiGsvO...@giganews.com>,
>Louann Miller <loua...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Yes, I'm making trouble today. The question is, supposing yourself to be a
>>reader and re-reader of Heinlein's works, what if you had to limit yourself
>>to *one* work for the rest of your Heinlein re-reading life?
>
>_The Star Beast._

Tastes differ!

I'm willing to say that Stranger or Glory Road aren't my taste, but
several people have raised Star Beast or Double Star. Both of these
feel "minor" to me, rather than "outside my main interest".

So I can only say ... tastes differ.

William December Starr

Apr 23, 2014, 3:22:37 AM4/23/14
Louann Miller <loua...@yahoo.com> said:

> Yes, I'm making trouble today. The question is, supposing yourself
> to be a reader and re-reader of Heinlein's works, what if you had
> to limit yourself to *one* work for the rest of your Heinlein
> re-reading life?

People may hate me for this -- hell, I might hate _myself_ for it --
but... _Time Enough For Love_, I think.

Or _Moon_, of course.

-- wds

Walter Bushell

Apr 23, 2014, 7:04:56 AM4/23/14
In article <brnvrt...@mid.individual.net>,
How can you argue about what other people prefer?

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 23, 2014, 7:20:47 AM4/23/14
Are you new to the Net?

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Dorothy J Heydt

Apr 23, 2014, 9:46:17 AM4/23/14
In article <brp5lu...@mid.individual.net>,
Damn right. I like Double Star, though it wouldn't be my choice
for only-Heinlein. But Glory Road is near the bottom of my list,
Stranger is somewhere below that, and everything he wrote after
1966 I wouldn't touch with gloves on.

Brian M. Scott

Apr 23, 2014, 4:22:51 PM4/23/14
On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 07:04:56 -0400, Walter Bushell
<pr...@panix.com> wrote in
<news:proto-2B9FA0....@news.panix.com> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

> In article <brnvrt...@mid.individual.net>,
> Chris Buckley <al...@sabir.com> wrote:

[...]

>> I think I'd vote for _Double Star_ . I view _The Past
>> Through Tomorrow_ as cheating a bit, otherwise it would
>> be up there. I wouldn't argue against those folks voting
>> for either _Citizen of the Galaxy_ or _The Moon is a
>> Harsh Mistress_ (or even _Starship Troopers_ for that
>> matter, even though I haven't seen it mentioned)

> How can you argue about what other people prefer?

Chris presumably just means that he can understand people
choosing those books, even though they don’t quite end up at
the top of his list.

Brian
--
It was the neap tide, when the baga venture out of their
holes to root for sandtatties. The waves whispered

Brian M. Scott

Apr 23, 2014, 4:32:50 PM4/23/14
On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 10:17:19 -0500, Louann Miller
<loua...@yahoo.com> wrote in
<news:DoOdnSVleoZiGsvO...@giganews.com> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

> Yes, I'm making trouble today. The question is, supposing
> yourself to be a reader and re-reader of Heinlein's
> works, what if you had to limit yourself to *one* work
> for the rest of your Heinlein re-reading life?

> I think I'd go for "Citizen of the Galaxy," honestly. It's fun.

It gets consideration, but I know it too well. Nowadays I’d
probably choose _Time Enough for Love_, though _Stranger in
a Strange Land_ is still a possibility. The others that get
at least a moment’s thought are (in chronological order)
_Double Star_, _Glory Road_, and _The Moon Is a Harsh
Mistress_.

Stephen Graham

Apr 23, 2014, 5:42:28 PM4/23/14
I don't reread as much as others here do. When I do reread it's usually
for a specific purpose: a theme or detail of plot that stands out. Or
it's for my book group. What I've actually read by Heinlein in the past
decade is:

Beyond This Horizon
Double Star
For Us, the Living (not a reread)
Have Space Suit - Will Travel
Orphans of the Sky
The Rolling Stones
Space Cadet
The Star Beast
Starman Jones
Time Enough for Love

So, for instance, I read Orphans of the Sky to compare with some other
generation ship stories. Some of the others were because of discussions
here or elsewhere.

But unless I have a specific reason to do so, I may never reread another
Heinlein novel. Too many other things to read.

Walter Bushell

Apr 28, 2014, 5:56:07 PM4/28/14
In article <lj87mf$ej5$2...@dont-email.me>,
Auuuuuugh! I done been stung by a sea wasp!

Must have forgot where I was.

Joe Bernstein

May 11, 2014, 7:34:06 PM5/11/14
On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:36:58 PM UTC-7, D.F. Manno wrote:

> In article <DoOdnSVleoZiGsvO...@giganews.com>,
> Louann Miller <loua...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, I'm making trouble today. The question is, supposing yourself to be a > > reader and re-reader of Heinlein's works, what if you had to limit yourself > > to *one* work for the rest of your Heinlein re-reading life?

I immediately thought <The Door into Summer>, the first of his I read.
Its only serious competition would be <The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress>.
I'm floored nobody else has mentioned it yet.

> GOP delenda est!

Yes, I know it's gauche to quote .sigs, but would y'all believe, Google
Groups actually thought this post was in Latin thanks to this line! Its
attempt to translate produced "1 suppose that" as the post's first post-
quote line.

Joe Bernstein

--
Joe Bernstein, writer and tax preparer <j...@sfbooks.com>

Lee Gleason

May 11, 2014, 9:12:16 PM5/11/14

>Yes, I'm making trouble today. The question is, supposing yourself to be a
>reader and re-reader of Heinlein's works, what if you had to limit yourself
>to *one* work for the rest of your Heinlein re-reading life?

I've read "Methuselah's Children at least one a year since 1963 and plan
to keep doing so.

I can recite large parts of it now after all those rereadings.

It's the best realized vision of the future we all wanted to happen back
then.

--
Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants

Catherine Jefferson

May 12, 2014, 12:34:04 AM5/12/14
On 5/11/2014 4:34 PM, Joe Bernstein wrote:

> Yes, I'm making trouble today. The question is, supposing yourself
> to be a reader and re-reader of Heinlein's works, what if you had to
> limit yourself to *one* work for the rest of your Heinlein re-reading
> life?

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I love many of his books, but that one is
head and shoulders above the others for me.

--
Catherine Jefferson <tw8...@ergosphere.net>
Blog/Personal: http://www.ergosphere.net

Paul Colquhoun

May 12, 2014, 2:04:19 AM5/12/14
I concur. It has some of the variety of a short story collection, but
with a fairly coherent framing story to go with it.

Plus, if its the only one I have, the length also helps.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/
Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:

C. E. Gee

May 13, 2014, 10:59:41 AM5/13/14
On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:17:19 AM UTC-7, loua...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Yes, I'm making trouble today. The question is, supposing yourself to be a

> reader and re-reader of Heinlein's works, what if you had to limit yourself
>
> to *one* work for the rest of your Heinlein re-reading life?
>

> I think I'd go for "Citizen of the Galaxy," honestly. It's fun.
>

> Louann

"Citizen of the Galaxy" would be my second choice. "Starship Troopers" is my first choice.

C.E. Gee

http://www.kinzuakid.blogspot.com

William December Starr

May 13, 2014, 8:07:40 PM5/13/14
In article <53701ff1$0$28481$862e...@ngroups.net>,
"Lee Gleason" <lee.g...@comcast.net> said:

> I've read "Methuselah's Children at least one a year since 1963
> and plan to keep doing so.
>
> I can recite large parts of it now after all those rereadings.
>
> It's the best realized vision of the future we all wanted to
> happen back then.

Even the part about a state that could and would -- for the most
part enthusiastically, if memory serves -- turn citizens into lab
rats to take apart to find the "secret of immortality"?

-- wds

Scott Lurndal

May 14, 2014, 9:45:28 AM5/14/14
Bush adminstration treatment of suspected terrorists springs instantly to mind.

lal_truckee

May 14, 2014, 11:06:27 AM5/14/14
Yeah, but they had concealed guns...
How nifty is that?