[Young People Read Old SFF] The Man Who Traveled in Elephants

James Nicoll

Mar 15, 2018, 9:24:45 AM3/15/18
The Man Who Traveled in Elephants by Robert A. Heinlein

http://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/the-man-who-traveled-in-elephants

Robert Woodward

Mar 15, 2018, 1:23:07 PM3/15/18
In article <p8ds6q$fga$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> The Man Who Traveled in Elephants by Robert A. Heinlein
>
> http://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/the-man-who-traveled-in-elephants

Exactly what was "the exact moment when the reader realizes the conceit
of the story"? When I read this story, I realized that I had missed
something when I reached the scene with the cotton candy. So I went back
to the beginning and reread it (I had missed the importance of the bus
accident).

ã-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robe...@drizzle.com

D B Davis

Mar 16, 2018, 11:16:53 AM3/16/18

James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
> The Man Who Traveled in Elephants by Robert A. Heinlein
>
> http://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/the-man-who-traveled-in-elephants

This is one of the six stories published in _6xH_ (Heinlein). A trippy
cover appears my MMPB. [1] Presumably this is the fifth printing (1971)
iteration of the cover. It leaves me with the impression that this
product was marketing to early 1970s youth, even though the stories date
back to the early 1940s.
Regardless, this is a different facet of RAH. It reminds me of
Bradbury or Serling a good day. On a bad day there's always "The Lottery"
(Jackson). For some reason the Jackson conjures up a naughty carnival
setting in my mind. Even though she specifically writes, "town square."
It's typically easy for me to see short story tells. The bus
accident's "been expecting this" is a tell. Referring to Martha in the
past tense is another tell.
My small town hosts a number of events each summer. The season kicks
off when _Crimson Dawn_ (Forsling) literally comes alive. [2] (The
Forsling story, not the Marvel comic.)
BTW Ahasuerus, _Crimson Dawn_'s missing from isfdb. Good luck with
trying to find any story details. Although the Marvel comic pops up all
over creation on the Inet, it's hard to find out much of anything about
the Forsling.
A couple of weeks after Crimson Dawn my town hosts a county fair.
Lots of kids from surrounding ranches and farms show up to show off
their livestock.
At some point through the decades, a carnival with rides and a
midway was added. Later on a rodeo was tacked on. (The less said about
that "sport" the better.) So a carnival setting still works for me.
YMMV.
Regardless, carnivals change their complexion of the years. A few
seasons ago a tee-shirt booth offered a few War-on-Terror themed shirts.
You certainly didn't see that back in RAH's day.

Note.

1. https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/LfEAAOSw-xVaIGTR/s-l225.jpg
2. http://www.natronacounty-wy.gov/234/Crimson-Dawn

Thank you,

--
Don

Ahasuerus

Mar 16, 2018, 12:05:33 PM3/16/18
On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 11:16:53 AM UTC-4, D B Davis wrote:
[snip]
> BTW Ahasuerus, _Crimson Dawn_'s missing from isfdb. Good luck with
> trying to find any story details. Although the Marvel comic pops up all
> over creation on the Inet, it's hard to find out much of anything about
> the Forsling. [snip]

Added, thanks!

a425couple

Mar 16, 2018, 12:26:50 PM3/16/18
On 3/15/2018 6:24 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> The Man Who Traveled in Elephants by Robert A. Heinlein
>
> http://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/the-man-who-traveled-in-elephants

"Perhaps I liked this story so much because it's what
I hope happens to all of us in the end."

When I saw the below music video, I was reminded of
that story. I think it's pleasant.
So, does this show Rejuvenation, or an idealized after death experience?
Yeah, more horsepower makes lots of things feel better!
What a wonderful welcome home reunion!

Avicii - Waiting For Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHHLHGNpCSA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHHLHGNpCSA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_Love_(Avicii_song)
"Music video[edit]
The music video was directed by Sebastian Ringler. It begins with
an old man (Sten Elfström) being taken care of by his wife (Ingrid
Wallin) who then disappears. Distraught, he leaves home on his
mobility scooter to search for her. He roams through the countryside
on his scooter, growing as a person and making unlikely friends.
He ultimately returns to his home city and is welcomed as a celebrity,
as well as discovering his wife waiting for him."
Lyrics
AVICII LYRICS
Play "Waiting For Love"
on Amazon Music
"Waiting For Love"
(with Martin Garrix & John Legend)

Where there's a will, there's a way, kind of beautiful
And every night has its day, so magical
And if there's love in this life, there's no obstacle
That can't be defeated

For every tyrant a tear for the vulnerable
In every lost soul the bones of a miracle
For every dreamer a dream we're unstoppable
With something to believe in

Monday left me broken
Tuesday I was through with hoping
Wednesday my empty arms were open
Thursday waiting for love, waiting for love
Thank the stars it's Friday
I'm burning like a fire gone wild on Saturday
Guess I won't be coming to church on Sunday
I'll be waiting for love, waiting for love
To come around

We are one of a kind irreplaceable
How did I get so blind and so cynical
If there's love in this life we're unstoppable
No, we can't be defeated

Monday left me broken
Tuesday I was through with hoping
Wednesday my empty arms were open
Thursday waiting for love, waiting for love
Thank the stars it's Friday
I'm burning like a fire gone wild on Saturday
Guess I won't be coming to church on Sunday
I'll be waiting for love, waiting for love
To come around

Here is another by him,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y_KJAg8bHI
Wake Me Up
Avicii
Feeling my way through the darkness
Guided by a beating heart
I can't tell where the journey will end
But I know where to start
They tell me I'm too young to understand
They say I'm caught up in a dream
Well life will pass me by if I don't open up my eyes
Well that's fine by me
So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost
So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost
I tried carrying the weight of the world
But I only have two hands
I hope I get the chance to travel the world
But I don't have any plans
I wish that I could stay forever this young
Not afraid to close my eyes

D B Davis

Mar 16, 2018, 12:56:11 PM3/16/18
Interesting. The book cited in isfdb dates from 1980 [1], but here's the
kicker. Forlsing first told her tales in the 1930s. So, it's apparently
an /oral/ story telling tradition, in its original form.
Anyhow, "Crimson Dawn witch" hits the Inet search engine jackpot.
This excerpt [2] gives a fair description of the event:

On the west flank of the mountain, Jackson canyon, one of the
largest migratory populations of bald eagles in the world take
shelter during certain times of the year. This mountain is also
host to annual summer-solstice gathering at Crimson Dawn Ranch.
This event, based upon children's stories told by a local woman
to her children in the 1930s and 40's, has grown into a local
tradition, with hundreds of families migrating up the mountain
to see actors re-enact tales of witches and warlocks. The area
around the ranch is reported to be haunted by the woman.

Note.

1. http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?2341311
2. http://www.thefullwiki.org/Casper_Mountain

Thank you,