Attempting to refind a book

Corwyn

Jul 9, 2014, 6:07:32 PM7/9/14
I am not sure if it is actually a novel, or just a novella.

The sketchy information I remember is that it is about a conflict between normal humans and those who have been teleported. In the early days of teleportation it turned out that the person did not get put together exactly right. They were different, less emotional, somewhat robotic. Basically they became a different race, looked down upon the unteleported.

Bill Dugan

Jul 9, 2014, 6:34:01 PM7/9/14
Sounds like the Dellians in Van Vogt's Mixed Men.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jul 9, 2014, 7:44:27 PM7/9/14
In article <kngrr91e293s380j9...@4ax.com>,
As I recall, the explanation for Dellian Robots was extremely vague
(even moreso than "pressure" for the Mixed Men), but did not involve
teleportation.

Scanner's are wrong too.
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Lynn McGuire

Jul 9, 2014, 7:56:16 PM7/9/14
On 7/9/2014 5:07 PM, Corwyn wrote:
> I am not sure if it is actually a novel, or just a novella.
>
> The sketchy information I remember is that it is about a conflict between normal humans and those who have been teleported. In the early days of teleportation it turned out that the person did not get put together exactly right. They were different, less emotional, somewhat robotic. Basically they became a different race, looked down upon the unteleported.

Kinda sounds a little like that Michael Crichton
book, _Timeline_:
http://www.amazon.com/Timeline-Michael-Crichton/dp/0345468260/

Lynn

JRStern

Jul 9, 2014, 9:20:21 PM7/9/14
On 9 Jul 2014 23:44:27 GMT, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>)
wrote:
I was going to say the Van Vogt also. I have a vague recollection of
a story that did depend on teleportation (other than that TOS
episode), and if it's not the Van Vogt then, um, I dunno.

J.

Corwyn

Jul 9, 2014, 11:04:15 PM7/9/14

Thanks that does appear to be it. The description on amazon for it is as follows:
Generations after the Dellian "robots" (actually humans whose genetic and molecular makeups have been subtlely modified by their forebears' use of an early model of teleportation device) have fled persecution by starship into the myriad solar systems of the Greater Magellanic Cloud, the Right Honourable Lady Lorr commands an armed starship expedition to ferret them out and return them to Earth's control. She finds them, along with far more than she had bargained for, both romantically and otherwise. The "mixed man" Malxby's effective taming of this delicious intergalactic shrew is instructive for those who wish to coexist romantically with today's strong-willed, demanding feminist professionals.
http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Stars-A-van-Vogt/dp/0671814516

On Wednesday, July 9, 2014 4:44:27 PM UTC-7, Ted Nolan wrote:
> In article <kngrr91e293s380j9...@4ax.com>,
>
> Bill Dugan wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 9 Jul 2014 15:07:32 -0700 (PDT), Corwyn

David Johnston

Jul 9, 2014, 11:28:12 PM7/9/14
AE Van Vogt's "The Mixed Men" aka "Mission to the Stars".

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jul 9, 2014, 11:48:31 PM7/9/14
In article <672efe84-9995-4b84...@googlegroups.com>,
Corwyn <corwyn...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks that does appear to be it. The description on amazon for it is as
>follows:
>Generations after the Dellian "robots" (actually humans whose genetic
>and molecular makeups have been subtlely modified by their forebears'
>use of an early model of teleportation device) have fled persecution by
>starship into the myriad solar systems of the Greater Magellanic Cloud,
>the Right Honourable Lady Lorr commands an armed starship expedition to
>ferret them out and return them to Earth's control. She finds them,
>along with far more than she had bargained for, both romantically and
>otherwise. The "mixed man" Malxby's effective taming of this delicious
>intergalactic shrew is instructive for those who wish to coexist
>romantically with today's strong-willed, demanding feminist
>professionals.
>http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Stars-A-van-Vogt/dp/0671814516

Huh!

Mea culpa. I just remembered the part of the Mixed Men's creation being
very vague. Van Vogt's usage of the term "robot" was odd in several of
his stories.

The book is a fixup, with probably the most famous component
being "The Storm", and the idea that it is a font of relationship advice
is comical. Maltby is another of Van Vogt's frustrating supermen notably
pausing when he should act at several key points.

Robert Carnegie

Jul 10, 2014, 10:19:42 AM7/10/14
On Thursday, 10 July 2014 04:04:15 UTC+1, Corwyn wrote:
> Thanks that does appear to be it. The description on amazon for it is as follows:
>
> Generations after the Dellian "robots" (actually humans
> whose genetic and molecular makeups have been subtlely
> modified by their forebears' use of an early model of
> teleportation device) have fled persecution by starship
> into the myriad solar systems of the Greater Magellanic
> Cloud, the Right Honourable Lady Lorr commands an armed
> starship expedition to ferret them out and return them
> to Earth's control. She finds them, along with far more
> than she had bargained for, both romantically and
> otherwise. The "mixed man" Malxby's effective taming of
> this delicious intergalactic shrew is instructive for
> those who wish to coexist romantically with today's
> strong-willed, demanding feminist professionals.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Stars-A-van-Vogt/dp/0671814516

Edition... September 1, 1977.

In May 1979, the Right Honourable Margaret Thatcher
became Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

I don't know if she was honourable before that.
My impression was that she'd rather be right.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jul 10, 2014, 10:34:52 AM7/10/14
In article <a266df98-48a5-437e...@googlegroups.com>,
IIRC, the viewpoint of _The Mixed Men_ is interesting. It's
told from the perspective of the exiles in the Magellenic cloud,
Delian Robotss, Non-Delian Robots and Mixed Men who fled from
persecution in the Empire. Now The Empire has come for them and
they very much don't want to go...

And it pretty much turns out they are totally wrong. The Empire now
has conqured all anti-robot prejudice and even sexism and they turn out
to be silly for wanting to stay out. It's sort of a tale of almost-conflict
that gets sorted out peacefully for the most part. The big drama is
the space weathermen sending the Empire ship into a space storm upfront.

I was checking online last night, and I see the most iconic piece of this
fixup, "The Storm" is available for $0.99.

William December Starr

Jul 10, 2014, 11:28:28 AM7/10/14
Corwyn <corwyn...@gmail.com> said:

> Thanks that does appear to be it. The description on amazon for it
> is as follows:
>
> Generations after the Dellian "robots" (actually humans whose
> genetic and molecular makeups have been subtlely modified by their
> forebears' use of an early model of teleportation device) have
> fled persecution by starship into the myriad solar systems of the
> Greater Magellanic Cloud, the Right Honourable Lady Lorr commands
> an armed starship expedition to ferret them out and return them to
> Earth's control. She finds them, along with far more than she had
> bargained for, both romantically and otherwise. The "mixed man"
> Malxby's effective taming of this delicious intergalactic shrew is
> instructive for those who wish to coexist romantically with
> today's strong-willed, demanding feminist professionals.
> http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Stars-A-van-Vogt/dp/0671814516

Whoah.

Okay, if anybody needs me I'll just be in my flame-proof bunker
over here...

(By the way, I really really like the fragmentary clause
"persecution by starship.")

-- wds