The Last Most Dangerous Game

Jack Bohn

Mar 2, 2015, 10:21:28 AM3/2/15
(...which sounds like Harlan Ellison got talked into a multimedia computer game in the late 1980s...)

I was watching a '70s action-adventure TV show [1], and, wouldn't you know, our wandering heroes are taken in one night at the home of a man obsessed with hunting, to find the next morning that...

It seemed to me that this plot had not been used lately, (odd, given the increase in weekly programming being put out, and no increased premium put on originality,) and was going to ask when it disappeared, but a quick visit to tvtropes [2] shows it has survived, if not always in so direct a copy.

Tvtropes also lists variations on the theme; some fade into other themes.

Mixing aliens in, for example, which blunts the dehumanizing aspect of the hunt. The Predator films seem to me to be more along the lines of War of the Worlds -- what if someone more powerful treated us as we've treated others. TVtropes mentions a story where humans are hunting a species they don't realize are sapient, and the species (whose name I deliberately forget as a spoiler for the story they're in) are happy to hunt humans right back. Then there are the bandersnatch, who sell hunting licenses on themselves, with equipment restrictions that bring the danger to the hunter more in line. (Have I mentioned how cleverly Niven hides his dystopias? Here's a species we recognize as people enough to have enforceable contracts, and it's a mutual murder pact.)

Then there's The Most Dangerous Game Show. Book/movies The Seventh Victim (as The Tenth Victim), The Running Man, and Hunger Games. This is shading over to Ben Bova's The Dueling Machine. I'd say only The Running Man captures the *Surprise!* aspect. As some comedian said about hunting as a "sport": It's as if boxing allowed someone to walk up to you on the street and hit you in the head; "We're boxing now. By the way, I'm leading on points."

[1] Logan's Run. If you're going to ask, I'd rather answer in a footnote than a subthread.

[2] No, really. Something at that site clogs my browser, and I suppress my curiosity after only a few side issue pages.

--
-Jack

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Mar 2, 2015, 10:36:50 AM3/2/15
In article <141ed745-ca31-467e...@googlegroups.com>,
Jack Bohn <jack....@gmail.com> wrote:
>(...which sounds like Harlan Ellison got talked into a multimedia
>computer game in the late 1980s...)
>
>I was watching a '70s action-adventure TV show [1], and, wouldn't you
>know, our wandering heroes are taken in one night at the home of a man
>obsessed with hunting, to find the next morning that...
>
>It seemed to me that this plot had not been used lately, (odd, given the
>increase in weekly programming being put out, and no increased premium
>put on originality,) and was going to ask when it disappeared, but a
>quick visit to tvtropes [2] shows it has survived, if not always in so
>direct a copy.

I read a list of TV series rules once (predating tvtropes) and one of
them was something to the effect: "Any adventure show that runs long
enough eventually does a 'The Most Dangerous Game' episode".
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Jack Bohn

Mar 2, 2015, 11:26:24 AM3/2/15
And eventually a "The Defiant Ones"/"Hell in the Pacific" episode if there's a continuing villain to be trapped with (or literally chained to) the hero and they have to work their way out.

--
-Jack

Brian M. Scott

Mar 2, 2015, 12:53:52 PM3/2/15
On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 07:21:26 -0800 (PST), Jack Bohn
<jack....@gmail.com> wrote
in<news:141ed745-ca31-467e...@googlegroups.com>
in rec.arts.sf.written:

[...]

> TVtropes mentions a story where humans are hunting a
> species they don't realize are sapient, and the species
> (whose name I deliberately forget as a spoiler for the
> story they're in) are happy to hunt humans right back.

And break even, assuming that it’s the story that
positively leaps to mind.

[...]

Brian
--
It was the neap tide, when the baga venture out of their
holes to root for sandtatties. The waves whispered

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Mar 2, 2015, 1:18:19 PM3/2/15
In article <n4qd5afwxiih.1rmeithcs3vza$.d...@40tude.net>,
Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
>On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 07:21:26 -0800 (PST), Jack Bohn
><jack....@gmail.com> wrote
>in<news:141ed745-ca31-467e...@googlegroups.com>
>in rec.arts.sf.written:
>
>[...]
>
>> TVtropes mentions a story where humans are hunting a
>> species they don't realize are sapient, and the species
>> (whose name I deliberately forget as a spoiler for the
>> story they're in) are happy to hunt humans right back.
>
>And break even, assuming that it’s the story that
>positively leaps to mind.
>
>[...]
>
>Brian
>--

Is it a species you can lead to culture?

Brian M. Scott

Mar 2, 2015, 3:21:30 PM3/2/15
On 2 Mar 2015 18:18:15 GMT, "Ted Nolan <tednolan>"
<t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote
in<news:cljnr6...@mid.individual.net> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

> In article <n4qd5afwxiih.1rmeithcs3vza$.d...@40tude.net>,
> Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:

>>On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 07:21:26 -0800 (PST), Jack Bohn
>><jack....@gmail.com> wrote
>>in<news:141ed745-ca31-467e...@googlegroups.com>
>>in rec.arts.sf.written:

>>[...]

>>> TVtropes mentions a story where humans are hunting a
>>> species they don't realize are sapient, and the species
>>> (whose name I deliberately forget as a spoiler for the
>>> story they're in) are happy to hunt humans right back.

>>And break even, assuming that it’s the story that
>>positively leaps to mind.

> Is it a species you can lead to culture?

You lost me, I’m afraid. (And now I’m stuck with a
mindworm in the form of the old joke about ‘You can lead a
horticulture, but you cannot make her think’.)

Dorothy J Heydt

Mar 2, 2015, 4:15:02 PM3/2/15
In article <cljnr6...@mid.individual.net>,
If it's the species I'm thinking of, they've already got a
culture. And in the end the you-hunt-us-we'll-hunt-you-even-
odds system is resumed, plus some other stuff happens.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Mar 2, 2015, 4:35:17 PM3/2/15
In article <18tscbfw8r7ab$.vrl2atge...@40tude.net>,
Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
>On 2 Mar 2015 18:18:15 GMT, "Ted Nolan <tednolan>"
><t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote
>in<news:cljnr6...@mid.individual.net> in
>rec.arts.sf.written:
>
>> In article <n4qd5afwxiih.1rmeithcs3vza$.d...@40tude.net>,
>> Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
>
>>>On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 07:21:26 -0800 (PST), Jack Bohn
>>><jack....@gmail.com> wrote
>>>in<news:141ed745-ca31-467e...@googlegroups.com>
>>>in rec.arts.sf.written:
>
>>>[...]
>
>>>And break even, assuming that it’s the story that
>>>positively leaps to mind.
>
>> Is it a species you can lead to culture?
>
>You lost me, I’m afraid. (And now I’m stuck with a
>mindworm in the form of the old joke about ‘You can lead a
>horticulture, but you cannot make her think’.)
>
>Brian
>--

Bingo, you're no longer in the dark.

Brian M. Scott

Mar 2, 2015, 5:05:37 PM3/2/15
On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 21:03:07 GMT, Dorothy J Heydt
<djh...@kithrup.com> wrote
in<news:nKLrt...@kithrup.com> in rec.arts.sf.written:

> In article <cljnr6...@mid.individual.net>,
> Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:

>>In article <n4qd5afwxiih.1rmeithcs3vza$.d...@40tude.net>,
>>Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:

>>>On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 07:21:26 -0800 (PST), Jack Bohn
>>><jack....@gmail.com> wrote
>>>in<news:141ed745-ca31-467e...@googlegroups.com>
>>>in rec.arts.sf.written:

>>>[...]

>>>And break even, assuming that it’s the story that
>>>positively leaps to mind.

>>Is it a species you can lead to culture?

> If it's the species I'm thinking of, they've already got a
> culture. And in the end the you-hunt-us-we'll-hunt-you-even-
> odds system is resumed, plus some other stuff happens.

‘I think you’d really enjoy life more if you were, let’s
say, about halfway between your old nasty self and the sort
of sickening-good kind you are now.’

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Mar 2, 2015, 6:47:08 PM3/2/15
On 2 Mar 2015 21:35:13 GMT, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>)
wrote:

>In article <18tscbfw8r7ab$.vrl2atge...@40tude.net>,
>Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
>>On 2 Mar 2015 18:18:15 GMT, "Ted Nolan <tednolan>"
>><t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote
>>in<news:cljnr6...@mid.individual.net> in
>>rec.arts.sf.written:

>>> Is it a species you can lead to culture?
>>
>>You lost me, I’m afraid. (And now I’m stuck with a
>>mindworm in the form of the old joke about ‘You can lead a
>>horticulture, but you cannot make her think’.)
>
>Bingo, you're no longer in the dark.

And there I was trying to work out which Banks aliens you might be
thinking of. How frumious.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work."

Dorothy J Heydt

Mar 2, 2015, 9:00:14 PM3/2/15
In article <oit9fapsmvds24vub...@4ax.com>,
*IF* I'm thinking of the right aliens, it's not Banks.

Robert A. Woodward

Mar 3, 2015, 1:17:55 AM3/3/15
In article <nKM4x...@kithrup.com>,
Are you thinking of the one with precocious 13 year old law
student? (or was she 14? I can't remember for certain)

--
Robert Woodward <robe...@drizzle.com>
<http://robertaw.drizzlehosting.com>

Gary R. Schmidt

Mar 3, 2015, 1:44:11 AM3/3/15
On 3/03/2015 8:03 AM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <cljnr6...@mid.individual.net>,
> Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <n4qd5afwxiih.1rmeithcs3vza$.d...@40tude.net>,
>> Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
>>> On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 07:21:26 -0800 (PST), Jack Bohn
>>> <jack....@gmail.com> wrote
>>> in<news:141ed745-ca31-467e...@googlegroups.com>
>>> in rec.arts.sf.written:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> And break even, assuming that it’s the story that
>>> positively leaps to mind.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Brian
>>> --
>>
>> Is it a species you can lead to culture?
>
> If it's the species I'm thinking of, they've already got a
> culture. And in the end the you-hunt-us-we'll-hunt-you-even-
> odds system is resumed, plus some other stuff happens.

If it's Tick-Tock's folk you are thinking of, I don't think they resumed
the hunt, I thought the were acknowledged as intelligent and stuff:
"The preliminary treaty arrangements between the Federation of the Hub
and the new Affiliated Species of the Planet of Jontarou were formally
ratified two weeks later, the ceremony taking place on Jontarou, in the
Champagne Hall of the Shikaris' Club."

Of course, if I've got the wrong end of the Tiger, so to speak...

Cheers,
Gary b-)

--
When men talk to their friends, they insult each other.
They don't really mean it.

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Mar 3, 2015, 4:39:55 AM3/3/15
On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 01:46:22 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
wrote:

>In article <oit9fapsmvds24vub...@4ax.com>,
>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>>On 2 Mar 2015 21:35:13 GMT, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>)
>>wrote:

>>>Bingo, you're no longer in the dark.
>>
>>And there I was trying to work out which Banks aliens you might be
>>thinking of. How frumious.
>
>*IF* I'm thinking of the right aliens, it's not Banks.

I'm now unsure that my own guess of Niven's Bandersnatchi (frumious or
not) is good...

Cheers - Jaimie
--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Mar 3, 2015, 10:54:58 AM3/3/15
In article <n90bfap0m32gf57h5...@4ax.com>,
Well, I don't know what the OP was thinking, but my clue was "Horta".

David DeLaney

Mar 3, 2015, 3:24:34 PM3/3/15
On 2015-03-03, Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
> djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
>>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

>>>And there I was trying to work out which Banks aliens you might be
>>>thinking of. How frumious.
>>
>>*IF* I'm thinking of the right aliens, it's not Banks.
>
> I'm now unsure that my own guess of Niven's Bandersnatchi (frumious or
> not) is good...

They were mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but no, not the one these people
are thinking of. Think catlike alien, camouflaged florally...

Dave, and no, it's not Couerl either
http://gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd/ -net.legends/Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Mar 3, 2015, 6:38:23 PM3/3/15
No idea at all now - on either of your references. At least I'm not the
only one - you and Ted have different guesses. Or not-guesses. I should
probably just check the TVtropes page Jack referenced.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research
to finding a cure for jerks." -- Calvin/Bill Watterson

Brian M. Scott

Mar 3, 2015, 7:31:26 PM3/3/15
On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 23:38:20 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh
<jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote
in<news:0bhcfadsovugupet1...@4ax.com> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

> On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 14:24:30 -0600, David DeLaney
> <davidd...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> On 2015-03-03, Jaimie Vandenbergh
>> <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

[...]

>>> I'm now unsure that my own guess of Niven's
>>> Bandersnatchi (frumious or not) is good...

>> They were mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but no, not
>> the one these people are thinking of. Think catlike
>> alien, camouflaged florally...

>> Dave, and no, it's not Couerl either

> No idea at all now - on either of your references. At
> least I'm not the only one - you and Ted have different
> guesses. Or not-guesses. I should probably just check
> the TVtropes page Jack referenced.

The one that Dorothy and I have in mind, Dave’s catlike
alien, is Schmitz’s ‘Novice’, the first Telzey Amberdon
story. Couerl is from Van Vogt’s first short story, ‘Black
Destroyer’, which became part of _The Voyage of the Space
Beagle_.

Dorothy J Heydt

Mar 4, 2015, 12:30:06 AM3/4/15
In article <e4pufy8cth83$.1pgauqxd...@40tude.net>,
Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
>On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 23:38:20 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh
><jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote
>in<news:0bhcfadsovugupet1...@4ax.com> in
>rec.arts.sf.written:
>
>> On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 14:24:30 -0600, David DeLaney
>> <davidd...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>> On 2015-03-03, Jaimie Vandenbergh
>>> <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>> They were mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but no, not
>>> the one these people are thinking of. Think catlike
>>> alien, camouflaged florally...
>
>>> Dave, and no, it's not Couerl either
>
>> No idea at all now - on either of your references. At
>> least I'm not the only one - you and Ted have different
>> guesses. Or not-guesses. I should probably just check
>> the TVtropes page Jack referenced.
>
>The one that Dorothy and I have in mind, Dave’s catlike
>alien, is Schmitz’s ‘Novice’, the first Telzey Amberdon
>story.

That's the one I have in mind, yes.

(Kitten-thoughts!)

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Mar 4, 2015, 6:10:00 AM3/4/15
On Wed, 4 Mar 2015 05:28:15 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
wrote:

>In article <e4pufy8cth83$.1pgauqxd...@40tude.net>,
>Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
>>On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 23:38:20 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh
>><jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote
>>in<news:0bhcfadsovugupet1...@4ax.com> in
>>rec.arts.sf.written:

>>[...]
>>
>>> No idea at all now - on either of your references. At
>>> least I'm not the only one - you and Ted have different
>>> guesses. Or not-guesses. I should probably just check
>>> the TVtropes page Jack referenced.
>>
>>The one that Dorothy and I have in mind, Dave’s catlike
>>alien, is Schmitz’s ‘Novice’, the first Telzey Amberdon
>>story.
>
>That's the one I have in mind, yes.
>
>(Kitten-thoughts!)

Thanks! I've only read some later Telzey stories, so at least I wasn't
missing the reference to something I knew.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
The weirder you're going to behave, the more normal you should look. It works
in reverse, too. When I see a kid with three or four rings in his nose, I know

Richard Hershberger

Mar 4, 2015, 9:23:23 AM3/4/15
Then the underling's parents come to visit, and everyone pretends that the underling is the boss.

Richard R. Hershberger

David Johnston

Mar 4, 2015, 3:51:27 PM3/4/15
That is frequently combined with the Most Dangerous Game episode.

J. Clarke

Mar 5, 2015, 3:37:30 PM3/5/15
In article <8vpdfa5sj71g9q7s6...@4ax.com>,
jai...@sometimes.sessile.org says...

> On Wed, 4 Mar 2015 05:28:15 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
> wrote:
>
> >In article <e4pufy8cth83$.1pgauqxd...@40tude.net>,
> >Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
> >>On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 23:38:20 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh
> >><jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote
> >>in<news:0bhcfadsovugupet1...@4ax.com> in
> >>rec.arts.sf.written:

> >>[...]
> >>
> >>The one that Dorothy and I have in mind, Dave�s catlike
> >>alien, is Schmitz�s �Novice�, the first Telzey Amberdon
> >>story.
> >
> >That's the one I have in mind, yes.
> >
> >(Kitten-thoughts!)
>
> Thanks! I've only read some later Telzey stories, so at least I wasn't
> missing the reference to something I knew.

You're doing better than I am--I've read that story several times and
for some reason it didn't stick in my mind.